Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

Tonight's is the one that used to be fifth or something like that, right?  That is odd to me from a trajectory standpoint.  In episode one, he sparks out of his depressive state a bit ... by jumping to believe in some crazy, convoluted conspiracy theory.   Episode three is all about him admitting so many of the stories he took as proof of paranormal activity were fraternity hoaxes and such, wondering if it's really about time for him to grow out of this stuff, then getting his "I want to believe" (the sentiment, not the film) groove back by learning sometimes the outlandish theory really is true.  So how was Crisis of Faith Mulder written in what originally aired in between those two, that we'll now not see until later?  How was he written five episodes into this transitional period of his life, that's now being stuck back in the beginning?

It seems like if anyone other than Darin Morgan bothered with modern-day characterization the reordering of episodes will make the revival feel disjointed in its presentation of Mulder.  The fact that they shuffled several episodes around makes me think that, in fact, no one else did pay much attention to modern-day characterization, and just wrote old-school MOTW episodes that could take place just about any time.  (Although, if so, I wouldn't get too fired up about, as I love old-school MOTW episodes that can take place at just about any time, regardless of what's going on with the Bureau, with their relationship, etc.)

Tonight's is the one that used to be fifth or something like that, right?  That is odd to me from a trajectory standpoint.  In episode one, he sparks out of his depressive state a bit ... by jumping to believe in some crazy, convoluted conspiracy theory.   Episode three is all about him admitting so many of the stories he took as proof of paranormal activity were fraternity hoaxes and such, wondering if it's really about time for him to grow out of this stuff, then getting his "I want to believe" (the sentiment, not the film) groove back by learning sometimes the outlandish theory really is true.  So how was Crisis of Faith Mulder written in what originally aired in between those two, that we'll now not see until later?  How was he written five episodes into this transitional period of his life, that's now being stuck back in the beginning?

It seems like if anyone other than Darin Morgan bothered with modern-day characterization the reordering of episodes will make the revival feel disjointed in its presentation of Mulder.  The fact that they shuffled several episodes around makes me think that, in fact, no one else did pay much attention to modern-day characterization, and just wrote old-school MOTW episodes that could take place just about any time.  (Although, if so, I wouldn't get too fired up about, as I love old-school MOTW episodes that can take place at just about any time, regardless of what's going on with the Bureau, with their relationship, etc.)

To be fair, Mulder could have been written consistently all the way along and they just needed to shoot out of order for any variety of reasons.  The production order really doesn't mean anything with respect to the through-line of the story itself. 

• Love 1

Yep and I think it makes more sense. The way it was has him once AGAIN depressed right after Babylon. How does that make any remote sense?

Yep and I think it makes more sense. The way it was has him once AGAIN depressed right after Babylon. How does that make any remote sense?

I have no idea, because I don't know what happens in episodes two, four, five, or six, which is why I was asking how he's written in them.

To be fair, Mulder could have been written consistently all the way along and they just needed to shoot out of order for any variety of reasons.  The production order really doesn't mean anything with respect to the through-line of the story itself.

Oh, so this was just the usual change from production order to air order?  Yeah, no issue then.  I thought they had already been slated to air in a certain order (after they'd all been shot), and then that was changed.

Edited by Bastet

I liked last night's show, it was nice to see X-Files reclaim its spot as the king of the paranormal shows.  It's also good to see that they seem to be working toward an actual cohesive explanation of this decades-long conspiracy.  I remember getting so frustrated at how the original show just went round and round in circles.  Great to see Cigarette Smoking Man again.  I had to laugh at the clips they showed during the exposition which seemed to blame the conspiratorial control of the American population on George W. Bush and fast food.  LOL.  Other than that it was a good start to this return.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

Another article...

Source: wired.com

5. …but you can’t just pick up where you left off.

“We didn’t want to play Mulder and Scully younger than they really are. I think that would have been cheesy. We want to be honest with the passage of time, and honest to what would have happened in the course of their lives in the interim. So that was a challenge, but it also makes for interesting storytelling—it excited us that we could tell stories where Mulder and Scully are split up again. I think it irritated the ‘Shippers,’ who I hear are still angry at me for splitting them up. The challenge, of course, is to maintain a tone and a quality that you had and expand the bridge of a time from what is 13 or 14 years.”

/facepalm I have no words for this.

Another article, this one is a WBD interview...

Source: nytimes.com

The one downside of the episodes airing out of order is these first few have felt like one big game of Name That C-List Guest Star. I really liked that the original series tried to find everyday-looking people (who often then got famous), but we've had so many identifiable people turning up so far that it's been distracting from the actual show.

I guess that's where not watching much TV in the past ten years or so comes in handy; other than people who've made previous XF appearances, I haven't recognized anybody in a distracting way (I consider the actors I recognize from prior appearances a good kind of noticeable, like when I damn near squealed seeing the stoner "kids" still doing their thing all these years later).

Edited by Bastet

The first two sneak peeks are up at spoilertv.com for Home Again and based on them it looks like we are back to the weirdly wonderful X-file cases of the original...along with death near and dear to our agents.  I'm really excited for this one and I think this may have been better as the second episode.  

I'll try to enjoy this as it seems the CC penned episodes have have poor reviews. Especially Babylon as a few posters have said that the fans will hate it.

I'm left to wondering about all the vagueness of a next series. Is it due to contract issues or is FOX still not ready to commit to another movie/series?

I think Babylon is going to be a big ball of WTF.

And My Struggle II will probably annoy me, between the convoluted conspiracy and lack of conclusion, but we'll see.  I was looking at the cast/characters list, and got a nice smile out of the fact they named one of the characters Oscar Griffiths. 

Home Again looks good, though ... other than the offing of Mrs. Scully, more William blather, and "Fox."

As for where they go from here, I know originally CC, DD, and GA would all have preferred to do a third movie.  I haven't read any recent interviews, but I'd guess she still feels that way (actually, I think she'd have preferred Chris wrapped things up with these six), because she wants closure for the characters and fans and doesn't mind doing these things, but also doesn't have any burning desire to keep returning to Scully.  The other two, I don't know. 

The ratings give CC the best leverage he's ever had, but I imagine the studio is going to push for more episodes rather than a movie, since both movies have done worse at the box office than expected -- they've got plenty of evidence in their corner to say audiences prefer you on TV.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
  I think Babylon is going to be a big ball of WTF. 

When I heard it was a "comedic" episode written by Carter, I cringed. Someone needs to tell the man, he can't write comedy for the X-Files. I give you Fight Club.

Home Again looks good, though ... other than the offing of Mrs. Scully, more William blather, and "Fox."

"Fox" and "Dana" LOL. Whenever I hear them using their first names, I'm immediately reminded of all the bad fanfic I used to read where immediately after declaring their love for one another, our duo called each other Fox & Dana. As for Ma Scully, at least there aren't any more family members(that we care about) to kill off. Not including CSM.

As for where they go from here, I know originally CC, DD, and GA would all have preferred to do a third movie.  I haven't read any recent  interviews, but I'd guess she still feels that way (actually, I think she'd have preferred Chris wrapped things up with these six), because she wants closure for the characters and fans and doesn't mind doing these things, but also doesn't have any burning desire to keep returning to Scully.  The other two, I don't know. The ratings give CC the best leverage he's ever had, but I imagine the studio is going to push for more episodes rather than a movie, since both movies have done worse at the box office than expected -- they've got plenty of evidence in their corner to say audiences prefer you on TV.

As much as I'm liking the revival, I'd have preferred that the M&S storyline was wrapped up this time. Meaning they are in a better place with each other...whether or not that means they are together and that they found out that William is safe and apparently normal teenager. 

But since Carter has not had another hit, I'd figure he's going to milk this cow until it's dry. I think another series is the way to go, unless Carter allows someone else like Morgan/Wong/Gilligan to write the script. Otherwise, it's going to be the same dross as the last two movies. First movie wasn't bad but the second was awful. Your answer about GA, does make me wonder that if she doesn't want to commit for a full miniseries, that the Wonder-Twin Agents-Einstein and Miller might play a more prominent role with Duchovny back as Mulder. However, I do think if the $$ is right, GA will return for 6 more. Her Tweets for the show have been totally awesome and more frequent and playful than DD's.  

Oh, I think she'll do another six if they can work out the timing (and, yeah, pay her fairly).  I just don't see her leading the charge to get it done; I think it will be like it was for these six, CC and DD persuading her and her saying, fine, if everything falls into place I will be there.  My main curiosity is whether CC is going to try to get Fox to agree to a third film or stick with another limited-run series.  And whether Fox is going to try to get them to do 13 episodes instead of six (DD and GA said no way we're doing 13 when talks began for this revival, so I don't think they'll want to do it now, either).

Fox is likely waiting to see if the ratings hold.

When I heard it was a "comedic" episode written by Carter, I cringed. Someone needs to tell the man, he can't write comedy for the X-Files. I give you Fight Club.

"Fox" and "Dana" LOL. Whenever I hear them using their first names, I'm immediately reminded of all the bad fanfic I used to read where immediately after declaring their love for one another, our duo called each other Fox & Dana. As for Ma Scully, at least there aren't any more family members(that we care about) to kill off. Not including CSM.

As much as I'm liking the revival, I'd have preferred that the M&S storyline was wrapped up this time. Meaning they are in a better place with each other...whether or not that means they are together and that they found out that William is safe and apparently normal teenager. 

But since Carter has not had another hit, I'd figure he's going to milk this cow until it's dry. I think another series is the way to go, unless Carter allows someone else like Morgan/Wong/Gilligan to write the script. Otherwise, it's going to be the same dross as the last two movies. First movie wasn't bad but the second was awful. Your answer about GA, does make me wonder that if she doesn't want to commit for a full miniseries, that the Wonder-Twin Agents-Einstein and Miller might play a more prominent role with Duchovny back as Mulder. However, I do think if the $$ is right, GA will return for 6 more. Her Tweets for the show have been totally awesome and more frequent and playful than DD's.  

I generally agree on that, with the exception being, Syzygy. It's one episode that Chris did that sticks with me and is very funny.

Agreed. No matter what the usage... I cringe.

Word.

Yep. Disagree on the second movie though. I liked it ok enough.

Aren't Syzygy and Fight Club the only comedic episodes Chris has written?  If so, he's 1-1 with me, because I love the former and don't even bother to watch the latter.  But I have yet to hear a single positive word about Babylon ... although I'm not out there looking; I see what's posted here or emailed to me by a friend who, I think, reads XFN.  It doesn't sound good, at all.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

But I'm pretty much expecting to walk away from this revival just watching the Were-Monster over and over.  And over.

Aren't Syzygy and Fight Club the only comedic episodes Chris has written?  If so, he's 1-1 with me, because I love the former and don't even bother to watch the latter.  But I have yet to hear a single positive word about Babylon ... although I'm not out there looking; I see what's posted here or emailed to me by a friend who, I think, reads XFN.  It doesn't sound good, at all.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

But I'm pretty much expecting to walk away from this revival just watching the Were-Monster over and over.  And over.

I think so. I liked Fight Club ok. I think it's really a you'll like it or you'll hate it when it comes to his comedy eps. I've heard that some people like it. But it's looking like a lot of people don't. I saw some of XFN's comments on it and they're gold. Here's the link for you guys, just scroll down to Feb 3rd and you can see some of the comments. This thing is going to be crazy.

Source: Avi Quijada's Twitter page (XFN)

Me too. At least we've gotten that. Thank god for Darin Morgan.

• Love 1

I think so. I liked Fight Club ok. I think it's really a you'll like it or you'll hate it when it comes to his comedy eps. I've heard that some people like it. But it's looking like a lot of people don't. I saw some of XFN's comments on it and they're gold. Here's the link for you guys, just scroll down to Feb 3rd and you can see some of the comments. This thing is going to be crazy.

Source: Avi Quijada's Twitter page (XFN)

Me too. At least we've gotten that. Thank god for Darin Morgan.

My favorite quote:

it's as if all of the sudden I'm watching Californication... But if it had been written by xf writers...

The other person that I know who watched it also had no idea what was going on during the episode.

To show that I'm not all anti-Carter-I have heard from same people that My Struggle II was pretty enjoyable. Certainly better than the first part.

• Love 1

My favorite quote:

The other person that I know who watched it also had no idea what was going on during the episode.

To show that I'm not all anti-Carter-I have heard from same people that My Struggle II was pretty enjoyable. Certainly better than the first part.

I'm not anti-Carter either. There's just some times where he just makes me shake my head. I heard about that. So My Struggle II might be ok.

Is Babylon gonna be another comedy MotW? I thought they were doing three stand-alone and three mytharc?

It's a comedy ep, MOTW, I'm not sure on that. Guess we can call it... TOTW (Trip of the week), given things XD. I have no damn clue what it's about. Other than what's in the explanation that I posted from Spoiler Tv's site in the episode thread.

A couple of different views on it:

A positive one...

Source: brucefrett's twitter page

A negative one...

Source: cevangelista413's twitter page

And 'Achy Breaky Heart' does make an appearance.  :X 

Didn't like that song back in the 90's and I still don't like it now.

Oh god not ABH- That song was my ear worm.

Interesting to note that the Facebook and Twitter ads for "exclusive content" during SB half-time call ep. 6 the season finale instead of series. So it looks like FOX at least is hoping for more episodes.

Please let "Achy Breaky Heart" be used in a wholly ironic way. I'll assume that's the case.

I'll also assume that song satisfies the earlier spoilers about Mulder dancing in way we've never seen him before? And why the Lone Gunmen are dressed in Western wear?  

Please let "Achy Breaky Heart" be used in a wholly ironic way. I'll assume that's the case.

I'll also assume that song satisfies the earlier spoilers about Mulder dancing in way we've never seen him before? And why the Lone Gunmen are dressed in Western wear?  

Yes.  Apparently that's the result of Mulder on 'shrooms.  All in his head, in other words. 

Yea probably. But I'm definitely not a fan of the premise.

Yup up to a point. It's weird.

Oh god not ABH- That song was my ear worm.

Interesting to note that the Facebook and Twitter ads for "exclusive content" during SB half-time call ep. 6 the season finale instead of series. So it looks like FOX at least is hoping for more episodes.

Mine too. O_O

Yea that's good. Just hoping that they can get Vince Gilligan and some of the other writers to help out as well too. The more, the better.

So, I said I wasn't going to spoil myself for any of the revival (because I've been enjoying it so much so far being unspoiled) and I held out until today. I read through this entire thread and watched the clip of the first minutes of the season (series?) finale.....and the last shot made me sick to my stomach. I don't think I'm going to like where this cliffhanger is going.

That teach me to be spoiled.

• Love 1

So okay, I hope this series finale and cliffhanger isn't going where I think it's going. 

I'm confused by the clip..don't both Mulder and Scully have alien DNA?

They can't very well tie up CSM living, Alien Scully, weird conspiracy in 45 min..:)

I hope it's not either. 

I know. They both do. If they're trying to retcon him out of that it wouldn't be good.

So, I said I wasn't going to spoil myself for any of the revival (because I've been enjoying it so much so far being unspoiled) and I held out until today. I read through this entire thread and watched the clip of the first minutes of the season (series?) finale.....and the last shot made me sick to my stomach. I don't think I'm going to like where this cliffhanger is going.

That teach me to be spoiled.

You're not alone there. It's looking like it's the testing made her pregnant route. 

I hope it's not either. 

I know. They both do. If they're trying to retcon him out of that it wouldn't be good.

You're not alone there. It's looking like it's the testing made her pregnant route. 

I think I should have guessed it when it was retconned that Mulder/Scully weren't lovers until the 9th year and the show made no mention of Mulder's own alien DNA. So naturally William is going to be alien.

I don't think I should have watched that.

I still have a shred of hope left.

Edited by Tardislass

I think I should have guessed it when it was retconned that Mulder/Scully weren't lovers until the 9th year and the show made no mention of Mulder's own alien DNA. So naturally William is going to be alien.

I don't think I should have watched that.

I still have a shred of hope left.

That was CC making a mistake. But he still tried to make it that they only slept together in IWTB. Which isn't the case. They slept together in All Things.

Yep.

I'm lucky if I have half a shred of hope left.

• Love 1

I may be totally obtuse, but what direction do you guys think the show is going? That Scully turns into an alien? Or Mulder? I'm confused. The clip was wayyyyyy more Scully centric than I thought it would be

The clip was Scully-centric only to off-balance the opening clip which was Mulder centric.

Re: Scully getting pregnant -- I guess I would assume that the testing "cured" her infertility but pregnancy was still normal.  If it weren't, Scully would have been losing her mind all through S8....for reasons completely different than she did.  If she were pregnant without having sex, and long after an IVF attempt failed, she would have been beserk. 

• Love 1

That's my fear now too, and I want to be wrong really badly.

I texted my displeasure to my dad (who also watched the clip) and mentioned that Mulder also has alien DNA, so what the hell, CC? My dad, who loves to get a rise out of me regarding MSR, texted back: "She's a hybrid, and maybe he's a hybrid. Or hey, they're probably siblings now or parts of a larger collective"

I texted back an expletive ridden tirade that basically made it clear that that would be the worst thing ever.

But yeah. Siblings.

Thanks, dad. I can hear you cackling evilly from here. =)

Edited by SparklesBitch

OMG I'd die if the "truth" is that they're both hybrids from an earlier time, and for whatever reason, they met, fell in love, and unknowingly produced a natural hybrid baby.

Also, I totally don't think that Scully *actually* turns into an alien. At least I hope not

• Love 1

Your dad is evil...like CC level evil:)

But yeah, I can't see Scully being a hybrid or even a clone now that I think about it. I think it would piss the fandom off.

It all hinges on how they explain CSM being alive-whether clone or alien genetics saving him.

I'm fairly sure Scully morphing into an alien was a metaphor, albeit a clunky, cheesy, ham-fisted CC one.  That monologue was even worse than the opening to My Struggle.

One thing I haven't missed are those V.O.

Gillian sounded very British in some of her vowel pronunciations.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

That's my fear now too, and I want to be wrong really badly.

I texted my displeasure to my dad (who also watched the clip) and mentioned that Mulder also has alien DNA, so what the hell, CC? My dad, who loves to get a rise out of me regarding MSR, texted back: "She's a hybrid, and maybe he's a hybrid. Or hey, they're probably siblings now or parts of a larger collective"

I texted back an expletive ridden tirade that basically made it clear that that would be the worst thing ever.

But yeah. Siblings.

What the hell?! O_O No just no. They better not be going down the Pretender route. I was a huge Jarod/Ms. Parker shipper back in the day. Hated when they insinuated in one of the movies that they might be brother and sister. Yuck. :X

But yeah, I can't see Scully being a hybrid or even a clone now that I think about it. I think it would piss the fandom off.

It all hinges on how they explain CSM being alive-whether clone or alien genetics saving him.

One thing I haven't missed are those V.O.

Gillian sounded very British in some of her vowel pronunciations.

It didn't sound that bad to me. She sounded like Scully.

• Love 1

Oh, he is. =)

I can't either. I definitely agree that's something that the fandom wouldn't tolerate, and that's saying something taking into account the crap fest that was most of seasons 8 and 9, and how a lot of us suffered through that only because of how amazing this show was in it's best years. I can handle a lot of things, but Mulder and Scully hybrids isn't one of them.

Is there a link that's working?  Because that Twitter link above goes to nothing, and the link my friend sent me to the FOX website brings up "this content is currently unavailable." 

Of course, reading these comments leads me to believe I should just skip episode six altogether, never mind the clips, but if anyone has a good link - or a description of what happened - I'll subject myself to it.

Okay, nevermind - I found it online somewhere.  That was really boring and then really weird at the last second.  God, I hate CC's voiceovers.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Ok-

Babylon looks terrible-even in a 1 minute preview. If CC wants us to accept a new young dynamic FBI duo, why the frick did he have them look so much like Mulder and Scully and the man is a believer and the woman a skeptic.  

I miss Doggett and Reyes especially as it looks like they will be with our duo for the foreseeable future.  

Ok-

Babylon looks terrible-even in a 1 minute preview. If CC wants us to accept a new young dynamic FBI duo, why the frick did he have them look so much like Mulder and Scully and the man is a believer and the woman a skeptic.  

I miss Doggett and Reyes especially as it looks like they will be with our duo for the foreseeable future.  

I didn't mind the preview... but I do agree with you about Babylon. Not really hyped about it.