Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

This is your thread to discuss all spoilers and spoiler-filled speculation about the X-Files six-episode event series that will be airing on FOX.

Please DO NOT use SPOILER TAGS In this thread.

If you don't want to read spoilers, click the BACK button immediately before your eyes start to burn and melt.

Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny will reprise their iconic roles as Agent Dana Scully and Agent Fox Mulder. Chris Carter is back at the helm as executive producer/director and a few of the original writers will be back in the saddle penning the limited series.

Once the series begins, we will have dedicated threads for discussion of the actual episode.

If you want to discuss the series without being spoiled, please go to:

The X-Files Revival: All Speculation Leads to the Truth thread.

The Truth is Out There!

• Love 1

Well, I'll be taking up residence here.

When it comes to XF, I need to be spoiled -- there are certain things I need to know so that I can either relax (e.g. he's not messing with their relationship) or come to terms with them (e.g. William will be a plot point) before watching.

I can't wait for the clandestine set reports.  I have a friend at Fox, but even back in the day XF was a closed set (so even she couldn't be there during its most popular years, never mind me).  I can only imagine what they'll do to try to keep this filming under wraps, so I'm not even going to try. 

• Love 3

Well, I'll be taking up residence here.

When it comes to XF, I need to be spoiled -- there are certain things I need to know so that I can either relax (e.g. he's not messing with their relationship) or come to terms with them (e.g. William will be a plot point) before watching.

I can't wait for the clandestine set reports.  I have a friend at Fox, but even back in the day XF was a closed set (so even she couldn't be there during its most popular years, never mind me).  I can only imagine what they'll do to try to keep this filming under wraps, so I'm not even going to try. 

*Rolls out Red Carpet for Bastet.* *Begs for Info-Sharing from Bastet*

How close are you to this friend, Bastet?? You should see if you can get a set tour. I think they will be very careful with spoilers, except the original X-Files aired pre/start of the Internet, so less chance for spoilers to make the rounds. Unlike now. (hello twitter/tumblr/y'all)

Yeah, I love spoilers too - hve no problems with them at all, because seeing how that spoiler unfolds on screen is a completely different thing. However, some people have actual will-power to resist, so we gotta watch out for them! But yeah, I'll be in here!!

• Love 1

Well, I'll ask just to entertain myself, but XF had already become a closed set back by season six when a friend and fellow fan was coming in from out of town and I wanted to take her to watch filming (I scouted out the location filming and we went there instead, although we couldn't get very close), so I'm quite sure I won't be able to watch filming this time, either.  A set visit when they're not filming on it might even be verboten this time around since CC tries to keep everything secret, but I can ask about that (once it's built, heh).  That's not really my thing, but I'd do it for you guys.  ("I do it all for you. ... And don't you touch that bed.")

• Love 2

I'm not particularly spoilerphobic in general--I am for certain shows where there's a good deal of mystery or suspense and that's a big part of what I find enjoyable--and I wasn't back when XF was on the air originally. But back then at least as far as what I learned about episodes before they aired, as someone who wasn't seeking out spoilers but wasn't avoiding them, it usually didn't include a whole lot of detail. These days it seems like often the level of detail that gets spread around is far more significant. So once we get closer to shooting time and then airing time I may decide I want to go mostly spoiler free, though I know CC tends to be very secretive so I'm not super worried.

But for now I'm all about getting some news about at least broad concepts--things like whether William will be part of the story, as Bastet mentioned--and eventually pictures from set. So I think I'll be at home in this thread as well.

I'd love to see CSM reappear, but having him turn up alive would be about as crazy as when As The World Turns brought back someone who had last been seen as a shrunken head. 

I want the Gunmen resurrected, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

More information out of X-Files News:

http://www.xfilesnews.com/index.php/xfiles-news/featured-stories/1563-confirmed-the-x-files-returning-to-tv

Update - What We Know So Far:

The six-part series will show what has happened to the characters since the series and the second feature film, The X-Files: I Want to Believe, ended.

Chris Carter will be overseeing the scripts but he will be getting help from others who worked on the show during its television run.

Casual viewers will be able to jump right in and hardcore fans won't get bored with getting those casual viewers up to speed.

There will be both standalone and mythology episodes!

There is still a possibility for a third X-Files feature film after #XFilesRevival but the primary focus now is #XFilesRevival. Yes, you read that correctly.

William B. Davis has been approached about possibly reprising his role as Cancerman.

Filming likely to happen in Vancouver.

Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish are eyed to return. No deal yet.

Chris Carter and Fox want Frank Spotnitz back.

Both Netflix and Amazon expected to vie for streaming rights.

FoxTV's Dana Walden, who has been a big supporter of the show, was said to be frustrated with a lack of movement on a third feature film and so pushed for a revival on television

• Love 1

Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish are eyed to return.

Why?  This is like when we finally got a second movie and they started hyping Amanda Peet and Xzibit -- they may be perfectly nice people playing perfectly nice roles, but with finite airtime, why are we wasting time on them?

I agree. I wouldn't mind them popping up for a cameo but not be throughout the season as like a second XFiles team or anything. We aren't showing up to watch more Doggett/Mulder investigations. Ugh.

Sorry for the double post. More info coming out. Biggest note: Darin (yay!) and Glen Morgan confirmed, as are James Wong and Mark Snow. Frank Spotnitz is TBD and no word on Vince Gilligan yet.

http://www.xfilesnews.com/index.php/xfiles-news/latest-news/1566-xfn-exclusive-chris-carter-on-xfilesrevival

Biggest note: Darin (yay!) and Glen Morgan confirmed, as are James Wong and Mark Snow. Frank Spotnitz is TBD and no word on Vince Gilligan yet.

OMG! Really? Darin Morgan especially. I loved the episodes he wrote, but I know he had some personal issues and dropped out of Hollywood/writing for a while. So glad he and the others are back.

Whenever I created those X-Files episodes threads for the recaps, I always added who directed and wrote the episodes, because I thought it would be nice to know WHO wrote what episode just for kicks. Like, Darin Morgan has written many of the standalone episodes that I love.

Filming likely to happen in Vancouver.

Wow. So they managed to drag Duchovny back to Vancouver, eh? Hee. I know there are good filming tax credits there, and the mood (read: weather) is perfect for the show, so that's good.

There is still a possibility for a third X-Files feature film after #XFilesRevival but the primary focus now is #XFilesRevival. Yes, you read that correctly.

megan-fox-fainting.gif

I would be OK with a cameo... a look where they are now thing with Doggett and Reyes, but not much more than that.

And if Cancerman is brought back from dead, then I demand Krycek and The Long Gunmen.  

• Love 1

So far so great news! Episodes one and six will most likely be mythology. And five, maybe? Then two, three and four MotW.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Doggett and Reyes pop around for ten minutes, just as long as it's not an extended stay. Not even as much as whole episode. Although I'm not sure a quick "Hello, yes I've got some information about your case. Good luck now!" would interest the actors (unless they'd do it for the nostalgia) so maybe it would be best if they just leave them be. Skinner's gotta come back, though. I mean, anything else would be ridiculous. I hope Maggie Scully makes an appearence too. Did anyone else survive? Marita (lol)? They can leave Kersh out of it.

All of this is so exciting!!

Is it just me, or has Chris finally realized that he needs all the creative input he can get (hence bringing back all these writers)? I feel really optimistic about this if that's the case. I think these six episodes are going to be amazing :D

Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish are eyed to return.

Stupid stupid stupid idea. What the hell would be the point? I know that I'm just one person and not everyone feels the way that I do, but I'm pretty confident that those who are excited about this revival are excited at the prospect of specifically seeing Mulder and Scully (and to a lesser extent probably Skinner) and that's the real draw.  Sure, people like Doggett and Reyes, but I don't think many people are clamoring to see them again and any screen time they have will be resented because it will mean less focus on Mulder and Scully.

Seriously, it's such a bad idea. 

Darin (yay!) and Glen Morgan confirmed, as are James Wong and Mark Snow.

This is fantastic news.

Is it just me, or has Chris finally realized that he needs all the creative input he can get (hence bringing back all these writers)?

This is another reason why I'm more optimistic about this limited run of episodes than I would be about a movie. Because Chris Carter would probably write the entire film script on his own--maybe with input from others, but he'd craft the story at minimum--but when it comes to episodes he's always had lots of people contributing. 

I agree they would have been WAY better than Amanda Peet and Xzibit, but that's not saying much. I don't want to see them ever again. Don't waste anytime on characters created during the most hated time in the series. I think people are excited for the new series because they want to relive X-Files in its heyday, not necessarily because they want to continue the story from where it left off, which pretty much everyone either hated or was not interested in at all.

If they need to bring in allies for Mulder and Scully, I would prefer to see Skinner, Spender, and Marita. If they're going to continue the mythology storyline, I think those characters make more sense since they're more tied to the conspiracy stuff. Dogget and Reyes came in too late and don't really have any personal investment.

But that's just my opinion of course. Honestly, I will be happy with whatever we get. I'll just be so happy to see Mulder and Scully together again. 

Edited by M.F. Luder
  • Love 1

This is all very interesting news.  Not sure about Doggett and Reyes, though.  They kind of grew on me (just a very little bit) in rewatches but this is not the best of ideas. 

On another note, has anyone heard what the budget is like for this run of episodes? If they are getting this group of writers (and hopefully Gilligan, too) and actors, they have to be able to pay them all the $$ they are looking for. 

Well, I'm not thrilled either, but it seems like they really want to recreate the atmosphere that the early seasons had, right down to the same characters. I suppose he could be in some sort of flashback or an alien clone lol.

The early seasons were the best.   ;)

I'm seriously fine with pretending seasons 8 and 9 never happened. I'm seriously fine with pretending the second movie never happened. If that means bringing back characters (like CSM or Mr. X or Alex Krycek) who help re-create that wonderful mood of mystery and danger and moodiness, I'm cool with it. Let's go back to the fundamentals of the show -- Mulder and Scully's rich partnership, their heightened "us versus the rest of the world"/"trust no one" danger, and spooky stuff.

The early seasons were the best.   ;)

I'm seriously fine with pretending seasons 8 and 9 never happened. I'm seriously fine with pretending the second movie never happened. If that means bringing back characters (like CSM or Mr. X or Alex Krycek) who help re-create that wonderful mood of mystery and danger and moodiness, I'm cool with it. Let's go back to the fundamentals of the show -- Mulder and Scully's rich partnership, their heightened "us versus the rest of the world"/"trust no one" danger, and spooky stuff.

To a point ;). 

I liked parts of 8 and 9 tbh. The interacting M & S had at times, protective Papa Bear Mulder >:), etc. Some can go away... whiny Scully, bitchy Mulder and Who's the Daddy, etc.

I don't mind the atmosphere, but I wish that there was a more ORIGINAL way of bringing it back instead of going back to the past.

I hate to say it, but it kind of feels like a crutch in some way imo.

Well, I'm not thrilled either, but it seems like they really want to recreate the atmosphere that the early seasons had, right down to the same characters. I suppose he could be in some sort of flashback or an alien clone lol.

Maybe. Those are the only two ways I can think of that would even seem remotely plausible.

Since this is the spoiler thread, we don't have to hide anything we post in here behind spoiler tags, right?

If CSM is seen in a way that makes sense, I'll be happy to see him again since he was such a great villain and such an important part of what they've always been up against.  But given the fact this takes place post-series/IWTB and CSM was burned to bones as the series ended, the number of plausible scenarios is pretty limited.  To flashback, pretty much.

Since this is the spoiler thread, we don't have to hide anything we post in here behind spoiler tags, right?

No, don't need spoiler tags at all in here. Post away. And you know, Bastet, since I am a glutton for spoilers, if any juicy info comes your way, feel free to share!! *grin*

Okay, I found it really weird that William Davis confirmed he's coming back. Wouldn't that be something that CC would want to keep under wraps for a bit?? Or like you guys are saying, flashbacks possibly, and/or not so integral to the story. Strange.

And you know, Bastet, since I am a glutton for spoilers, if any juicy info comes your way, feel free to share!! *grin*

Since they'll be filming in Vancouver rather than L.A., I'm unlikely to get any insider info (I probably wouldn't anyway with CC's Fort Knox mindset).  Another friend used to be a somewhat high-ranking executive in Fox's accounting department, which could have led to some interesting, "Well, I can tell you this much ..." tidbits, but she retired last year.

All I know is THE LONE GUNMEN CANNOT BE DEAD.  CANNOT!!!

And I can't believe that stupid CSM is not dead, unless they just utilize him in some sort of flashback.  Did he have a tunnel/bunker in his little Anasazi ruins?  WTH?  He's like a cat with nine lives.

Well, if CSM can be on the show then certain The Lone Gunmen could be. (I tend to forget they're not alive since I never watched season 9.)

Did he have a tunnel/bunker in his little Anasazi ruins?  WTH?

Didn't we see his flesh burn off? I have a memory of seeing his skull in flames or something similar.

So basically the only way he could be alive is through some supersoldiery thing that I am not remotely interested in. But I could see him being involved in some sort of flashback.

• Love 1

Is this is a negotiation?  Chris, I'll give you CSM, but you have to give me Krycek and all 3 Lone Gunmen.  Deal?  

ETA:  I have no idea if we actually saw him burn up?  Anyone else remember?  I just remember thinking at the time that his stupid ass probably wasn't dead yet.  Like I had really thought he was a goner with the wheelchair, but noooo.  Like how many times can one man "die?!"

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 1

normal_xf91904718.jpg

This is the best evidence I could find. I think it's safe to say that he got roasted LOL.

I wouldn't mind if the Lone Gunmen returned. Their deaths were never shown on screen and there was no real reason for them to die in the first place. I guess Mulder did see their "ghosts," but maybe he was just crazy...

Edited by Hidebehind
  • Love 1

Wait?!  What?!  How is it gonna shoot and air so soon?  That worries me.  I don't want it too rushed.  This HAS GOT TO BE GOOD!  What if it's the last thing we get?!

ETA:  I don't see where it's going to air this summer.  Just film?

Edited by queequeg

Wait?!  What?!  How is it gonna shoot and air so soon?  That worries me.  I don't want it too rushed.  This HAS GOT TO BE GOOD!  What if it's the last thing we get?!

ETA:  I don't see where it's going to air this summer.  Just film?

Oops, looks like I was wrong. I thought in the original announcement, they said the show was going to air in summer 2015, but no, they have not announced a premiere date yet. So I bet more like October-ish or later.

XFN Exclusive with Chris Carter on the #XFilesRevival

Oops, looks like I was wrong. I thought in the original announcement, they said the show was going to air in summer 2015, but no, they have not announced a premiere date yet. So I bet more like October-ish or later.

XFN Exclusive with Chris Carter on the #XFilesRevival

Which is hilarious b/c it's filming after but airing before the Sherlock Christmas Special.  And don't get me started on series 4 of Sherlock, which hasn't even filmed yet.

• Love 1

I said all along I didn't want it rushed onto the 2015 fall schedule, so filming this summer worries me.  However, it doesn't fill me with dread the way it would if only CC was writing; with others - who know the show and spent years writing it on a tight deadline - writing the scripts and him overseeing them, it might work out okay.  He says he has a pretty good idea of what he wants out of this, so I'll take a deep breath and take him at word, only because when asked about what stage conceptualization of a third film was at he was pretty consistently honest that he hadn't much of a clue. 

This is the best evidence I could find. I think it's safe to say that he got roasted LOL.

Here's a moment later,  with the skull.

GLOb6KLl.png

Wait?!  What?!  How is it gonna shoot and air so soon?  That worries me.  I don't want it too rushed.  This HAS GOT TO BE GOOD!  What if it's the last thing we get?!

Yeah, this feels awfully rushed. But the thing that concerns me most is that it be well written, and with a team of writers who are used to writing on a tight schedule I guess this isn't really pushing it all that much. I hope.

• Love 1

Here's a moment later,  with the skull.

GLOb6KLl.png

Yeah, this feels awfully rushed. But the thing that concerns me most is that it be well written, and with a team of writers who are used to writing on a tight schedule I guess this isn't really pushing it all that much. I hope.

Yea it does. Hopefully. All we can do is hope and pray.

And CSM is crispy, toasty and dead as far as I'm concerned ;).

On a side note, been chatting with someone from Russia (a Russian paper I think) on Twitter and they're thinking the role is one in the 'present time'. So there goes any flashback (possibly). Looking more and more like a CSM clone.

Those of you who missed DD's appearance on Letterman: Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis are both confirmed.

SKINNER! So love that! Awesome. Don't even mind WBD, because I think jolene is right, it will be possibly flashbacks, a shapeshifter or even a video or something that M&S view. Cool.

• Love 1

Looks like David's backpedaling on that news a bit.

But today, Duchovny coiled back a bit on the spoilers.

“I’m not even sure they’re signed up yet. I guess I spoke out of turn,” he fessed up. “But I assume they will. I assume we’ll have as many people as we can. The show is the show.”

Source: variety.com

Whoops! XD

IMDB is listing the actor who plays Gibson Praise (Jeff Gulka) as rumored to appear in the first episode. I guess it makes sense to bring him back, since he's one of the few characters related to the mythology who is still alive. I was never interested in the Gibson story line, and I hope the actor has improved if he's going to be a big part of this new season. 

(edited)

Ugh; I wasn't interested in Gibson the first time around, so he's certainly not someone I'm clamoring to catch up with for this installment.  Plus, child actors generally get worse as they age, so he's likely to be quite bad (and he's only done two things since XF).

Since IMDb content is user generated, and it's listed as rumored, anyway, it's probably nothing. 

Or maybe he could have a Vanessa Morley style uncredited cameo so viewers can wonder, "Hey, is that ...?"

Edited by Bastet