Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

(edited)

Good catch.

I'm starting to get sucked back into the fandom. Where's my AOL dialup?

I remember Fox used to transmit shows by sattlelight to the different cities on Sunday morning and some kind soul downloaded them-shades of the Lone Gunmen- so I used to hangout on the boards that day and get my spoilers. I remember her transmitting Requiem and a long pause at the end scene when she told us that Scully was pregnant. Total pandemonium. I also remember that it was about the first primetime show to have a huge online presence in the Internet.

good times. Sadly, I see that the crew are having to filming at odd hours just to get away from the photos. I saw filming in Vancouver early in the series-1996 and the crew couldn't have been nicer. But then there wasn't camera phones and instagrams.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

I'm starting to get sucked back into the fandom. Where's my AOL dialup?

I remember Fox used to transmit shows by sattlelight to the different cities on Sunday morning and some kind soul downloaded them-shades of the Lone Gunmen- so I used to hangout on the boards that day and get my spoilers. I remember her transmitting Requiem and a long pause at the end scene when she told us that Scully was pregnant. Total pandemonium. I also remember that it was about the first primetime show to have a huge online presence in the Internet.

good times. Sadly, I see that the crew are having to filming at odd hours just to get away from the photos. I saw filming in Vancouver early in the series-1996 and the crew couldn't have been nicer. But then there wasn't camera phones and instagrams.

Cool! Lucky. I wasn't online back then sadly :(. Still watched the show though, from 95' onward. Haven't looked back.

Yep. It's a way different world now then it was then. A lot more media focused. Exactly.

It could be CSM's dad. Being involved in the alien conspiracy is a family business :)

Maybe. Since CSM wanted to be a writer (Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man) in the 60's iirc. He was already part of the FBI iirc. Might be wrong on it though.

(edited)

I feel stupid for not thinking about this before, but someone just pointed out that the figure dragging two bodies in the teaser looks like the "Band-aid Man" in Home Again.

The third episode is possibly set in Oregon :D

Edited by Hidebehind

I feel stupid for not thinking about this before, but someone just pointed out that the figure dragging two bodies in the teaser looks like the "Band-aid Man" in Home Again.

The third episode is possibly set in Oregon :D

Cool.

Heard about that :D. Neat.

I hope he has Gillian and David on his podcast! He's said in the past that Gillian wanted to do it, but she'd have to do it over Skype, and he didn't want to do that. I hope they find time to do it now, because hearing them talk about it might be the closest we ever get to D&G dvd commentary.

• Love 1

And she has a side part now! I guess they really are listening to fans this time.

Yep.

Not that I really care either way though tbh. *shrugs* The hair isn't that big of a deal imo. 

But it is cool that they're listening to the fans.

I hope he has Gillian and David on his podcast! He's said in the past that Gillian wanted to do it, but she'd have to do it over Skype, and he didn't want to do that. I hope they find time to do it now, because hearing them talk about it might be the closest we ever get to D&G dvd commentary.

Word. That would be awesome.

Man... this year has been kick ass.

• Love 1

Though the wig now looks like she has streaked red and blond hair. Or perhaps it's the blue/white dress all over.

And a cheers to the guy-I know him through Portlandia- for getting a snap that gives away no scenery! Amazing!:)

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't mind her hair either way, but it was a really nice gesture for them to do this. It makes me feel a lot more optimistic about everything.

Me neither. Only bit was the part, otherwise the wig was ok. Definitely. :) Same here.

More speculation :)

The host has uncovered two key pieces of evidence: a young woman who claims to have survived multiple alien abductions, and an airplane hangar filled with supposed alien technology. Scully's initial scepticism about the young woman's is challenged by medical evidence, while the alien tech leads Mulder to question all he has believed about the government conspiracy, and they are both forced to confront personal decisions they made in the past.

The bolded part stood out to me. I assumed Mulder changed his mind about the conspiracy years ago, which is why his interests have shifted. This synopsis makes it seem like his beliefs don't change until he sees the alien tech, and that doesn't jive with this information:

Mulder has become convinced that the alien conspiracy might not be precisely what he thought it was. His obsession has taken a toll. (from EW)

According to my source Mulder's focus/obsession had shifted from aliens/colonization to NSA/Snowden/Big Brother stuff. (from Danax6)

Unless---maybe he and Scully stopped believing in aliens after the invasion never happened, and the combination of Sveta's story and alien technology makes them believe again? That would certainly motivate them to return to the X-Files. Or maybe Scully never lost her belief at all and that became a source of conflict between them? It would sure be a role reversal.  

What's this personal decision they need to confront? I'm inclined to say William, considering Chris Carter's been making shady references to his conception since before filming even started. It's also telling that he wouldn't let Joe Harris touch that storyline in the comics.  

That relationship was kind of mysterious. Did they get together? Didn't they get together? If they've got a child together, when did they get together? These are questions that we will deal with and answer in good time.

• Love 1

More speculation :)

The bolded part stood out to me. I assumed Mulder changed his mind about the conspiracy years ago, which is why his interests have shifted. This synopsis makes it seem like his beliefs don't change until he sees the alien tech, and that doesn't jive with this information:

Unless---maybe he and Scully stopped believing in aliens after the invasion never happened, and the combination of Sveta's story and alien technology makes them believe again? That would certainly motivate them to return to the X-Files. Or maybe Scully never lost her belief at all and that became a source of conflict between them? It would sure be a role reversal.  

What's this personal decision they need to confront? I'm inclined to say William, considering Chris Carter's been making shady references to his conception since before filming even started. It's also telling that he wouldn't let Joe Harris touch that storyline in the comics.  

Very good points.

I'm betting on that. I HOPE that it isn't a regret thing. That wouldn't be good.

Honestly though, that quote made me chuckle. Especially since Gillian said that they did get together in All Things. So that (at least up to a point) kind of shatters that lol.

So I'm guessing either a flashback or... we'll be surprised >:).

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm hoping the personal decision in William. It just never made sense that Mulder was not the least bit angry about the adoption. Plus the have the kid up because of the whole alien colonization savior angle and to know know that the plans weren't true would be a kick in the teeth.

When I hear CC talk about William's origin, I have to roll my eyes. Everyone on the show, including Spotnitz, who helped write the adoption plot, has said that Mulder is the father in public. Don't quite know why Carter continues to try and extend the mystery.

But i doubt the kid will be shown on the show-especially if CC is still intent on making more series.*not gonnahappen*.

I don't think Mulder lost his belief in aliens just in the purpose of his quest.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

But i doubt the kid will be shown on the show-especially if CC is still intent on making more series.*not gonnahappen*.

I don't think Mulder lost his belief in aliens just in the purpose of his quest.

I think William might take on Samantha's former role---not actively part of the story, but serving as a driving force for Mulder and Scully.

So I'm guessing either a flashback or... we'll be surprised >:).

I'm not sure how they could do a flashback to William's conception and make it look real. They've aged well, but it's obvious that they are older now. If we get M&S flashbacks I think they will be restricted to the past 7 years. I'm not sure about Smoking Man.  

I think William might take on Samantha's former role---not actively part of the story, but serving as a driving force for Mulder and Scully.

I'm not sure how they could do a flashback to William's conception and make it look real. They've aged well, but it's obvious that they are older now. If we get M&S flashbacks I think they will be restricted to the past 7 years. I'm not sure about Smoking Man.  

Yep. I could see that happening too.

Exactly. That's why I'm thinking that CC is going to have it be in present time. Making up for having so much be so implied.

I'm hoping the personal decision in William. It just never made sense that Mulder was not the least bit angry about the adoption. Plus the have the kid up because of the whole alien colonization savior angle and to know know that the plans weren't true would be a kick in the teeth.

When I hear CC talk about William's origin, I have to roll my eyes. Everyone on the show, including Spotnitz, who helped write the adoption plot, has said that Mulder is the father in public. Don't quite know why Carter continues to try and extend the mystery.

Exactly. He NEVER got to work that out, at all. I could see how it might affect the relationship up to a point.

I don't either. He makes me /facepalm so much at times. It's as if he doesn't want to give up the ghost, so to speak. (Nothing personal, just musing about it.)

Yep. And that's rather frustrating... especially since FOX wants to make more series... and the actors and writers want it to be in movie form. Given certain things, it seems as if this might be the end of the road. They're again far apart. Unless something can convince them otherwise.

• Love 1

I think the mountain goat(?) skull is from the same room that Mulder and Scully infiltrate in the teaser.

I also think the villain in Home Again is a garbage truck driver with a penchant for artwork. There's paint cans strewn about the room, and in one shot of Scully you can make out the outline of a yellowish figure behind her head. I think it's an abstract painting.

I think the mountain goat(?) skull is from the same room that Mulder and Scully infiltrate in the teaser.

I also think the villain in Home Again is a garbage truck driver with a penchant for artwork. There's paint cans strewn about the room, and in one shot of Scully you can make out the outline of a yellowish figure behind her head. I think it's an abstract painting.

Probably. Good guesses!

And I just found a post over on TV tropes you hate thread that really fits the spoilers (at least in regards to M & S and you know who)! Here it is.

Scroll to Andyourlittledog2's post. It's SO apt and well put.

• Love 1

I think Lauren Ambrose is great. Since these new guys are relatively big names, I wonder if that means they're going to have a more substantial role than the usual guest stars.

The previous spoilers said that the fourth episode was going to deal with Scully's faith. Maybe these new agents are investigating some case that Mulder and Scully get brought in on, due to the paranormal elements, and some aspect of the case brings up Scully's belief in god (like Revelations). Meanwhile, Mulder and Scully get reminded of what they were like as young agents with all the UST and bantering.

I think Lauren Ambrose is great. Since these new guys are relatively big names, I wonder if that means they're going to have a more substantial role than the usual guest stars.

The previous spoilers said that the fourth episode was going to deal with Scully's faith. Maybe these new agents are investigating some case that Mulder and Scully get brought in on, due to the paranormal elements, and some aspect of the case brings up Scully's belief in god (like Revelations). Meanwhile, Mulder and Scully get reminded of what they were like as young agents with all the UST and bantering.

Good guess! I could see that happening.

If you guys listen to Kumail's other podcast (the Indoor Kids), he talks about his experience on the show in the beginning of this week's episode. He also made a post about it in the X-Files Files subreddit.

He doesn't give away any substantial spoilers, but he does say that in a scene with Gillian, she pulls out a gun and he reacts like "holy shit!". He probably doesn't actually say that, since this is on network TV, but you get the idea. He also recorded David and Gillian reminiscing about the old show and he's going to include it in the next episode of the X-Files Files podcast.

He says that the script is really good, really funny, and touching. He calls it one of Darin Morgan's best. He's a big fan of Darin Morgan and Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is his absolute favorite episode of pretty much any show ever. Hopefully he's right about it being an episode of that caliber.

Okay guys, I've compiled everything I've seen about the fourth episode into one post.

Carter says that episode 4 will deal with one of Scully’s most distinctive character features: her religious faith, a source of conflict with Mulder. Entertainment Weekly

Forget Mulder and Scully (just kidding, we could never), it's time to meet Einstein and Miller. The X-Files will introduce two new, young FBI agents who are pretty similar to Mulder and Scully back in the day. They could become recurring fixtures. Maybe. eOnline

Amell will play Agent Miller who is described as "smart" and "smooth." Ambrose will appear as Agent Einstein who is described as "sharp" and "confident." They'll appear in the fourth episode of the six-episode revival. Hollywoodreporter

Despite the actors’ likenesses to “X-Files” stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny — particularly considering Ambrose’s hair color — sources say this will not be a flashback episode, and it will be set in the present day. Variety

[About fourth episode]...quite unlike anything that's been done before on the show. It deals with a very timely and newsworthy subject. It deals with it in a way that you will not recognize as anything that's come before it. We are breaking some new ground and trying some new things. Chris Carter, Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival

There will possibly be a racist nurse in the fourth episode.

Actor Artin John will possibly play a character named "Shiraz" in episode four.

*ugh* Not liking the tone of this at all.

And neither is Pat Munn via Twitter:

Patrick Munn ‏@patmunn  2h2 hours ago

Let me revise that: less than nothing.

Patrick Munn ‏@patmunn  2h2 hours ago
After making some calls and emails, my faith in this revival has dwindled to more or less nothing.

Sourcehttps://twitter.com/patmunn

I wouldn't put much more stock in Pat Munn's opinion than that of any other fan who has been reading spoilers. He hasn't seen scripts or anything (I'm assuming), so he doesn't know how it all plays out. He's probably reacting to either the fact that the new guys might be set up to take over the reigns for future installment, or maybe he just heard the Tad spoilers and is reacting how we all did when we heard that.

Everyone who has actually seen the scripts say that they're great. That could just be them trying to hype up their project, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't put much more stock in Pat Munn's opinion than that of any other fan who has been reading spoilers. He hasn't seen scripts or anything (I'm assuming), so he doesn't know how it all plays out. He's probably reacting to either the fact that the new guys might be set up to take over the reigns for future installment, or maybe he just heard the Tad spoilers and is reacting how we all did when we heard that.

Everyone who has actually seen the scripts say that they're great. That could just be them trying to hype up their project, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That's what I was thinking.

Yep and I think it's the hyping thing. Anyone who says anything 'uber' positively (and that's for ANY show or project by the way) I wonder about/doubt. So I can't really give all that much benefit of the doubt just yet.

I was being sarcastic. I'm assuming he's referring to Einstein and Miller. :(

Ah. I see.

Do you guys think the fourth episode is related to ISIS? It's supposed to have a religious tone, and CC said it involves a "timely and newsworthy subject." I can't imagine Einstein and Miller fitting into an episode like that, though...

Other "timely and newsworthy" subjects I can think of: school shootings, Wikileaks, police brutality 

Maybe something with Gibson and the alien spaceship that has the world's religions written on it?

Jeff Gulka has been in Vancouver for quite a while this summer (based on his twitter). It could be related to his band's tour, but he signed on to twitter the same time that the X-Files revival was announced, he followed the X-Files actors, and he retweeted some X-Files news stuff, so I think it's safe to assume he's going to be involved somehow. Since he seems to be there for an extended period, maybe he's in more than just the mythology episodes? I don't know...that probably wouldn't work since anything related to Gibson would most likely have to be considered mythology.

Do you guys think the fourth episode is related to ISIS? It's supposed to have a religious tone, and CC said it involves a "timely and newsworthy subject." I can't imagine Einstein and Miller fitting into an episode like that, though...

Other "timely and newsworthy" subjects I can think of: school shootings, Wikileaks, police brutality 

Maybe. Neither can I.

(edited)

I don't think it will be ISIS because I think it will be deemed too inflammatory to too overtly tie religion to terrorism on American TV. Especially if you have that be the catalyst for a character reflecting on her own Christianity. I would not trust the XF writers to wade those waters with any kind of finesse.

I think the most ripe "timely and newsworthy" subject would be the NSA spying which has made mistrust in the government somewhat mainstream instead of something that only paranoid people believe.

Edited by M.F. Luder
  • Love 1

Oh boy you guys! Heads up.

Patrick Munn ‏@patmunn  1m1 minute ago

Just my opinion based on what sources are saying. Judge for yourselves in late Jan

Patrick Munn ‏@patmunn  4m4 minutes ago
what I'm told is poorly thought out scripts aimed more at getting another season than serving story

Sourcehttps://twitter.com/patmunn/status/623563834192723968

Wish I'd NEVER helped to support this via Twitter. No offense meant to David, Gillian or any of the other actors. Their fan support has been great and I don't regret it :).

Damn this is looking WORSE than just Einstein and Miller.

He's already reported that they were in talks to do more seasons, so it shouldn't come as news to him that the story would try to facilitate that. But I would agree with him that it is poorly thought out to make that the main objective when the entire audience is going into this thinking it will be closure.

Patrick Munn has said more on twitter. https://twitter.com/patmunn

Yep. Just posted the exact quotes here.

What are your thoughts on this new development?

Looks as if the bs in ep 1 could be true.  :X

He's already reported that they were in talks to do more seasons, so it shouldn't come as news to him that the story would try to facilitate that. But I would agree with him that it is poorly thought out to make that the main objective when the entire audience is going into this thinking it will be closure.

Yea, but maybe HOW it's being done is what has him reacting the way he has been.

OK, as crappy as it is to hear that, it's not really anything we didn't already know/suspect. I just hope he's not talking about Jaden Smith in regards to stunt casting.

Exactly. And that's what's scary. For the first time ever, I'm thinking of only hate watching it. Never thought I'd ever say that about the XF. Again this is nothing against the actors. I'm just beyond sad, depressed and frustrated :(.

Lol I hope not.

• Love 1

I have no idea if he cares about the state of their relationship, but I have to admit that his comment about the scripts does make the whole separation/Tad drama/will-they-ever-get-back-together storyline sound more plausible to me. 

Well, don't commit to hate watching it yet. You don't know if you'll hate it or not. From the tweets I've seen since I started following him, Pat Munn seems to be a negative person in general. Not saying that he's wrong, but he's reacting to limited knowledge, just like the rest of us, and his bias is to be negative. He might know more than we do in terms of casting and some story decisions, but doesn't know if he'll actually like the final product or not either.

I don't think Einstein and Miller are going to take over from Mulder and Scully. At least not in this installment. If Fox wants to continue the franchise with them without DD and GA, then that doesn't really bother me. They'll probably end up being unsuccessful in that attempt, just like they were with Doggett and Reyes who at least had the advantage of not being carbon copies of M&S. 

• Love 2

OK, as crappy as it is to hear that, it's not really anything we didn't already know/suspect. I just hope he's not talking about Jaden Smith in regards to stunt casting.

He is talking about Jaden. I wouldn't worry that much: Smith Jr can act quite a bit and maybe won't be allowed to be an ahole on the set. On the whole, I'm not too alarmed. 

I have no idea if he cares about the state of their relationship, but I have to admit that his comment about the scripts does make the whole separation/Tad drama/will-they-ever-get-back-together storyline sound more plausible to me. 

Yep. And regardless of plausibility, I still DO NOT like it.

Well, don't commit to hate watching it yet. You don't know if you'll hate it or not. From the tweets I've seen since I started following him, Pat Munn seems to be a negative person in general. Not saying that he's wrong, but he's reacting to limited knowledge, just like the rest of us, and his bias is to be negative. He might know more than we do in terms of casting and some story decisions, but doesn't know if he'll actually like the final product or not either.

I don't think Einstein and Miller are going to take over from Mulder and Scully. At least not in this installment. If Fox wants to continue the franchise with them without DD and GA, then that doesn't really bother me. They'll probably end up being unsuccessful in that attempt, just like they were with Doggett and Reyes who at least had the advantage of not being carbon copies of M&S. 

Fair point.

I probably won't, but it's the first time I've EVER thought of doing so lol. In 20 years of being a fan. A LOT of history. 

Exactly.

He is talking about Jaden. I wouldn't worry that much: Smith Jr can act quite a bit and maybe won't be allowed to be an ahole on the set. On the whole, I'm not too alarmed. 

Say wha?! O_o Where's the tweet confirming that?

I'm not a fan of this either.

I think the most ripe "timely and newsworthy" subject would be the NSA spying which has made mistrust in the government somewhat mainstream instead of something that only paranoid people believe.

I do, too.  Since this is set within the actual U.S. government, they pretty much have to address what we've learned in recent years.

• Love 1

I do, too.  Since this is set within the actual U.S. government, they pretty much have to address what we've learned in recent years.

Yeah, they would be missing a big opportunity if they don't address it. After the NSA spying scandal, Mulder could release the evidence that the government used smallpox vaccinations to catalog people and people wouldn't think he was crazy like they would have in the past. Then that would open the door to thinking what else could the government be doing to the populace without their knowledge (which was addressed in episodes like Blood, WetWired, Drive, etc.). They could tie it back to the bees and the vaccines and all of a sudden Mulder and Scully are vindicated and more people in the government support their quest. If they go down this route, it could explain why Mulder and Scully are back in the FBI since now they'd have more allies and support to continue their efforts.

I doubt that's how it will play out, though.

• Love 1