Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: ShakesQueer

• Start Topic

LoL--well he's not gonna be a dam jackass on a youtube video; most of these videos are done to boost popularity and get chatter going about the queen.  (And so the fans will remember their asses) tee hee hee.  I like MKD as well but I have yet to see the Mr. & Mrs. Davis videos.  I try not to O.D. on a queen to quickly as I did with Bianca last season.

As far as Violet goes, enh it's difficult to say who's right & who is wrong in this situation.  Yeah Jasmine came off as a jealous ole cow & she shouldn't have said those things regardless but we aren't in the workroom with any of these queens all this time.  One of the previous season queens said a day shooting is like 12 to 14 hours.  That is A LOT of friggin time with someone, so who knows if Violet behaves this way all the time (oof if she does) or is it for the cameras *shrugs*.

UNTUCKED:  so I wanted to ask you guys if you've gotten used to the new set or not?  How do you like the format?  Is it more real for ya?  Enh, I'm ok with Untucked not being in a decorated lounge but DANG I still miss the pink boxes and sappy home videos.  I get that this new version is more real but if real is showing these nasty, mean ass queens then I don't think I wanna see that.  I like fun, happy, silly, and yeah sassy queens.  Let me say this, the reason I liked the pink box challenges and home videos is because it seemed to give the queens a distraction for the nastiness that can occur and let them do something fun....fun silly things that come from the pink box, while staged, were a way to show maybe a more playful side of the queens and who doesn't love a sappy (and yeah that could be stagged too but) lovey-dovey video from home?  Season 3's Untucked had to be one of the meanest & just UGH I-can't-stand-these-hos type of situations.  The added stuff in S4, 5 , & 6 took away the nastiness and relaxed the queens I thought a bit.  Now, without those distractions, and a more "raw" edit...IDK we're just seeing some meaness come out.  It's only the 3rd episode so who knows what's in store but I still am just not loving this.

I think what really brought out the bitchiness in the previous Untucked version was the split lounge, letting one clique hide in one room, the other clique hide in the 2nd, and make everyone else choose a side.  Things like Raja egging Delta on while conveniently side-stepping saying anything that could be directly incriminating in one room, while whoever they were bitching about sat in the other won't work in the new set up.

• Love 2

I was shocked at how bad Jasmine was this week as I thought she was pretty good last week. 

Frankly, I thought the scripts for the Shakesqueer parodies were weak.  Would they have been funnier if the casts had been better?  Maybe, but they still didn't seem very good.

Pearl--was she trying to play her role as a butch PE coach?  I couldn't tell as the performance was so wooden.

Loving Max and Ginger the best so far....

• Love 2
Pearl--was she trying to play her role as a butch PE coach?  I couldn't tell as the performance was so wooden.

That's what I thought, too, especially when she first tried lowering her voice (and her natural speaking voice is rather masculine anyway, IMO).  I give her props for trying .... something. I can't remember the last team challenge where one team was so much worse than the other. Like the judges, I was also pleasantly surprised by Kandy Ho, who looked at like she was at least enjoying herself.

Max might be Top Three after this. It's not the show is "rigged", but he's got a lot of theatrical background, and this challenge was right up his alley. Plus, he was a great team leader: He cast everyone in parts that worked for them, and he was gentle with Jaidynn during her breakdown.

Kennedy was the opposite and she should have let Violet and Jasmine run through their lines at least once. 

But then i'm not sure what there is to be jealous about there, Violet has one of the grossest looking bodies ever on the show IMO, as my brother put it when he came out on the nude runway "I didn't know they were doing a Schindler's List challenge".

I'm a naturally thin dude who would LOVE to get my body to look like Violet's (it's either gotta go in that direction or the other way), so this comment bums me out. If she wasn't such a twat, would we be body-snarking her as much? Alaska is built similarly but she's a good person. 

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 4

I wasn't too sure about the new Untucked at first, but I really do enjoy it now. The only problem I see with all of them hanging out as one large group is that we don't see much of the queens who are more introverted, like Max. So far, I think it's been mainly Trixie, Ginger and Jasmine doing the talking. 

I do love that we get to see some of the more "real" backstage action though, like them touching up their makeup before going back on stage and the eliminated queens leaving with all of their bags. 

Apparently her role was something like "butch lesbian coach", but that didn't make it on air. I think they didn't like her voice because she came across as "dude" instead of "butch", but I don't know. 

ETA: Has every single person with a "butch" character ended up in the bottom or what? Kenya in season 4, Alaska doing boy drag in season 5, April last season, and Pearl this season? I'd stay far away from that one if I was ever on the show .

Edited by Xazeal

v

I am finding that Max and Katya have the acting/performing chops similar to Ginger but they have much better style. Ginger's looks on the runway have all been  to quote Michelle Visage,  "MEH!".

It's all down to personal taste, to be sure, but Ginger has really been blowing me away on the runway.  Not only have I liked her looks, but there's something about her when she's in drag--she lights up and it's a vivid transformation.

I've been trying to put my finger on who Katya reminds me of, and I realized it's Kellie Mantle.  Her drag is way better, but they have similar faces.   

I'm not liking the new Untucked only because it's a pain for me to remember to go out and look for it, and my laptop's dead and my pc is slow with videos and I don't like watching them on my tiny phone screen...  I don't mind the new format, but I wish they'd show them on TV, even on another night (because then my DVR would pick it up and I wouldn't have to try to remember it.  Surely Logo can sell someone advertising for that half hour--Absolut seems to be gone, but Drag Race is one of their top shows.  You can't tell me nobody wants to advertise during Untucked.

We were all saying the same thing as a few of you with Jasmine's whole "gluing something to my face will kill me!" speech--she could have put something over her ears with wire.  I think she didn't because she wanted to wear that upswept hair, but girl, think out of the box. Make it obvious that it's like that, make it out of paper like the beard in a kid's play, or bedazzle the hell out of it, or make it match your "amazing" dress.  If she was creative enough she could have come up with something that would have worked, even if she didn't bring anything with her.  So many times the best queens seem to excel when they're thrown something that looks like a problem for them at first.

• Love 3

Has every single person with a "butch" character ended up in the bottom or what? Kenya in season 4, Alaska doing boy drag in season 5, April last season, and Pearl this season? I'd stay far away from that one if I was ever on the show.

Latrice Royale FTW:

• Love 2

v

It's all down to personal taste, to be sure, but Ginger has really been blowing me away on the runway. Not only have I liked her looks, but there's something about her when she's in drag--she lights up and it's a vivid transformation.

I've been trying to put my finger on who Katya reminds me of, and I realized it's Kellie Mantle. Her drag is way better, but they have similar faces.

I'm not liking the new Untucked only because it's a pain for me to remember to go out and look for it, and my laptop's dead and my pc is slow with videos and I don't like watching them on my tiny phone screen... I don't mind the new format, but I wish they'd show them on TV, even on another night (because then my DVR would pick it up and I wouldn't have to try to remember it. Surely Logo can sell someone advertising for that half hour--Absolut seems to be gone, but Drag Race is one of their top shows. You can't tell me nobody wants to advertise during Untucked.

We were all saying the same thing as a few of you with Jasmine's whole "gluing something to my face will kill me!" speech--she could have put something over her ears with wire. I think she didn't because she wanted to wear that upswept hair, but girl, think out of the box. Make it obvious that it's like that, make it out of paper like the beard in a kid's play, or bedazzle the hell out of it, or make it match your "amazing" dress. If she was creative enough she could have come up with something that would have worked, even if she didn't bring anything with her. So many times the best queens seem to excel when they're thrown something that looks like a problem for them at first.

A beard made of tinsel would have been perfect with that dress. She could have put it on string or wire and hook it.

• Love 2

I wasn't too sure about the new Untucked at first, but I really do enjoy it now. The only problem I see with all of them hanging out as one large group is that we don't see much of the queens who are more introverted, like Max. So far, I think it's been mainly Trixie, Ginger and Jasmine doing the talking. 

I do love that we get to see some of the more "real" backstage action though, like them touching up their makeup before going back on stage and the eliminated queens leaving with all of their bags. 

Remember in Season 5 where Rupaul had them re-enact classic moments from Untucked? Alaska played Phi Phi and Detox played Sharon in one skit. Another one was Tyra Sanchez vs. Tatianna and one was a Shangela moment where she was accused of having a sugar daddy. I'm not sure why, but new Untucked isn't really conducive to creating classic moments like that. (Please prove me wrong though, new Untucked. I want to believe...)

• Love 1

That lip sync was thoroughly unimpressive. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of Kennedy, since her dance experience was emphasized in her introduction, but it was boring as hell.

Terrible scripts, embarrassing final results, Katya and Max are still my favorites, etc.

I totally didn't even remember who or if there even was a Kennedy Davenport in the competition until she became leader and landed in bottom two.  The girl's drag to me seemed to be somewhere between MEH and BLAH, honestly I kind of wish Jasmine Masters had stayed just because she was at least more memorable, but the fact that she already packed everything BEFORE going on stage put a bad taste in my mouth (and that taste didn't come from the guy I brought home last night).  Jasmine also seemed BITTER!  Even in that show with Michelle Visage, she came off just so incredibly bitter.

I like Ginger type of drag, the fact that last week she had 15 minutes to beat her face, she looked amazingly beautiful, that was some skill right there, her runway however have been very very forgetful, probably just a bit less forgetful than Kennedy.  And I totally hated what she wore last week, and don't even remember what she came out of this week. 

Max, Katya, Kandy Ho (shockingly, she could have pulled it off better with a different color dress in order to make the beard stand out more) and I'm going back and forth on Pearl's and Trixie's outfit this week, were amazing.  Clear, solid concepts well put together looks that really intrigued me, as opposed to wear a nice gown and put on a bear.

Edited by interesting

I don't know why Kennedy isn't getting more love for her runway outfit.  It was beautiful, vintage  50s look, made her body look sick, and dragging that purple fur behind her, with her face beat beautifully--isn't that what drag is supposed to be?  Does everyone have to be some Raja/Milk/Detox advant garde performance artist?

Max Turned.It.Out. I hope this signals the abandoning of that weird and unlikable grey hair/ Semi-British accent theme.  I mean I was literally stunned at her runway.  I saw a bit of it last week but wow, those legs.  Its starting to become apparent that she is/was one of those theater nerd kids in school, but unlike jinx monsoon (who I still dislike, I'm just a bitch and can't get over it) I don't mind it on Max.

Candy Ho also literally stunned me.  I think she could have come in 2nd if she wasn't on the L O S E R team.  Speaking of which, Katya, who I think is fabulous and witty, keeps getting bad luck.  She should be a frontrunner.  Also Trixi's star is rising.  I am glad she can do more than just that odd painting she does.

Ru getting furious was EVERYTHING.

• Love 1

I don't know why Kennedy isn't getting more love for her runway outfit.

I liked Kennedy well enough at the beginning of this episode. By the time the runway began, I was pretty much over her. Once I saw that beard, I had passed the point of no return. After watching Untucked, she became this season's Laganja or Roxxxy: dumb, mean and not entertaining in the least. Zob don't like ugly.

• Love 3

I don't know why Kennedy isn't getting more love for her runway outfit.  It was beautiful, vintage  50s look, made her body look sick, and dragging that purple fur behind her, with her face beat beautifully--isn't that what drag is supposed to be?  Does everyone have to be some Raja/Milk/Detox advant garde performance artist?

Max Turned.It.Out. I hope this signals the abandoning of that weird and unlikable grey hair/ Semi-British accent theme.  I mean I was literally stunned at her runway.  I saw a bit of it last week but wow, those legs.  Its starting to become apparent that she is/was one of those theater nerd kids in school, but unlike jinx monsoon (who I still dislike, I'm just a bitch and can't get over it) I don't mind it on Max.

Candy Ho also literally stunned me.  I think she could have come in 2nd if she wasn't on the L O S E R team.  Speaking of which, Katya, who I think is fabulous and witty, keeps getting bad luck.  She should be a frontrunner.  Also Trixi's star is rising.  I am glad she can do more than just that odd painting she does.

Ru getting furious was EVERYTHING.

I like that you dislike Jinkxx. Come sit by me.

Kennedy's outfit was everything, but that put beard was horrific.