Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Tamerlane

• Start Topic

Somehow I doubt Daisy is the most important person in the State Department, so feeding her any kind of misinformation is kind of pointless on every level. Plus Elizabeth's friend (and the CIA operative in Iran) decided to "come in", so they at least will have one witness of the Iranian coup plot.

Only a few short months (weeks?) ago I was making fun of this show for how ridiculous the plots and writing were ... And now I love this show.  They must have had some change behind the scenes (different writers? different person in charge of the writers? - or maybe TPTB started reading the forums). Suddenly, the oldest daughter isn't stupidly wearing skimpy outfits to work and acting like a moody 12 year old, the husband stops having some special talent that saves the day, the co-workers with no chemistry stop flirting/arguing with each other, etc and the writing has become really good. I am guessing that part of that change was the notion that they should end the multi-episode story line of the George's and former SOS's deaths / CIA traitors / Iran coup.  At the same time the other ridiculousness ended, they stepped up the focus on the coup plot (remember when there used to be a few episodes between details and it was hard to remember what had happened or why it was important?).  

Now, the only negative issue I have with this show (and it is a really minor one) is the SOS's wardrobe - the 3/4 sleeved jacket worn over a billowy sleeved white blouse, the winter coat with pockets so high that she looked like she was fondling her own boobs to keep warm, the jacket buttoned with one button with the white blouse sticking out under the button, making the jacket look much too small, and everything is black and white.  I am no authority on fashion, but her outfits look wrong to me. At least they don't have her dress sexy with low-cut tops and skin tight skirts.  

She seemed so "off" and kind of woozy that I wondered if she either had a concussion or was suffering some blood loss from that back injury. They seemed to make a big deal of it for a second, with the guy telling her he was going to get her a medic, and her saying she was fine but touching her back and bringing forth a bloody hand. I thought they were going to address the injury a little more, or at least show it had been taken care of, but they seemed to just skip it after that dramatic moment with her bloody hand. I don't get it.

I think that was the blood of the Secret Service guy who died - he had been laying on top of her to protect her - he saved her life.  If it was her blood, we probably would have seen some sort of bandaging or discussion of the injury, and she would have at least flinched from pain when getting the group hug at the end.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

Now, the only negative issue I have with this show (and it is a really minor one) is the SOS's wardrobe - the 3/4 sleeved jacket worn over a billowy sleeved white blouse, the winter coat with pockets so high that she looked like she was fondling her own boobs to keep warm, the jacket buttoned with one button with the white blouse sticking out under the button, making the jacket look much too small, and everything is black and white.  I am no authority on fashion, but her outfits look wrong to me. At least they don't have her dress sexy with low-cut tops and skin tight skirts.  

I'm really not one to notice clothing, but for some reason with her I really do notice! Sometimes in a good way - she wore a blouse in this episode (or maybe last?) that was exactly the same colour as her eyes and I remember thinking it looked fantastic on her. And sometimes it's not in such a good way - the winter coat made me laugh, because yeah the pockets were so high up that it looked really awkward when she put her hands in her pockets, and of course it's a Canada Goose coat for her visit to Canada (I don't remember noticing her having that coat before). Because of course it's SO much colder in Port Perry than it is in DC that it requires a brand new crazy-expensive winter coat. You'd think she was coming from Florida or something.

• Love 1

I'm really not one to notice clothing, but for some reason with her I really do notice! Sometimes in a good way - she wore a blouse in this episode (or maybe last?) that was exactly the same colour as her eyes and I remember thinking it looked fantastic on her. And sometimes it's not in such a good way - the winter coat made me laugh, because yeah the pockets were so high up that it looked really awkward when she put her hands in her pockets, and of course it's a Canada Goose coat for her visit to Canada (I don't remember noticing her having that coat before). Because of course it's SO much colder in Port Perry than it is in DC that it requires a brand new crazy-expensive winter coat. You'd think she was coming from Florida or something.

This is making me laugh, because I could totally see protocol people making sure that she is wearing something representing whatever country she's visiting, either something manufactured there or a brooch of a native bird or whatever.

I'm also not really up on current fashions, but is her long sleeved button up with a 3/4 sleeve suit jacket the style now?  I suppose it might be their way of showing she's not overly conservative and isn't giving up her sense of style, but I feel like all of her jackets are 3/4 sleeved and it bugs me.

Wardrobe aside, I really enjoyed this episode because of how she interacted with her family.  I liked that her husband didn't put his foot down and insist that she not go because it was too dangerous.  He didn't like it, but recognized that it was part of her job.  I cracked up about her list of "vetoed wives" and I liked that entire scene, because I think that was a realistic way a couple that has been married a long time would act when faced with a serious situation.  I actually think they are my favorite married couple on tv right now.

• Love 5

What I like about her wardrobe is that it is low-key but professional.  I appreciate that with her wardrobe very consistent, the focus is (should be) on what she does, not what she's wearing.  In real life, women in politics just can't catch a break about wardrobe, so it seems to me.  Wearing the rough equivalent of a men's suit every day makes perfect sense and seems smart to me. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 3

(This is my third attempt at quoting and I still did it wrong. Sorry!!)

Wardrobe aside, I really enjoyed this episode because of how she interacted with her family.  I liked that her husband didn't put his foot down and insist that she not go because it was too dangerous.  He didn't like it, but recognized that it was part of her job.  I cracked up about her list of "vetoed wives" and I liked that entire scene, because I think that was a realistic way a couple that has been married a long time would act when faced with a serious situation.  I actually think they are my favorite married couple on tv right now.

Seconded.

Edited by betsyboo

What I like about her wardrobe is that it is low-key but professional.  I appreciate that with her wardrobe very consistent, the focus is (should be) on what she does, not what she's wearing.  In real life, women in politics just can't catch a break about wardrobe, so it seems to me.  Wearing the rough equivalent of a men's suit every day makes perfect sense and seems smart to me. 

i'm going to take the wardrobe talk to Elizabeth's thread.

• Love 1

Maybe they left it on purpose too.

I could see that happening.  Maybe even a sympathetic agent planted it there.  Despite the conspiracy theories that would pop up, it's easier on the CIA and the administration if he disappears ( and I cringe while I write this).  When William Colby disappeared into Chesapeake Bay in his canoe, I'm sure there were the same alarm bells that went off, but he took a lot of embarassing secrets with him.

• Love 2

So then who will be the mole in SoS's inner circle ('cause ya know there has to be a mole)? I'm guessing Daisy and or Matt will be the red herring(s), and Jay is the mole. It just better not be sweet Blake!

ETA: I'm changing my mole vote to Matt. Didn't he feed Daisy some miss-information last episode? Plus it would explain the zero chemistry between them since day one, IMO.

I'm pretty sure the mole was Juliet, unless I missed something - which definitely could have happened.

Wardrobe was actually a plot point earlier in the season, when she walked out in that big brash red?  yellow?  (I can't remember) coat and then swapped with her lookalike in the security tent at her daughter's soccer game.

And, I'll spoiler this for those who haven't seen the next episode yet,

Bess really was injured in the blast, in the next episode they show the nurse checking the stitches in a big gash across her back.

• Love 1

Wardrobe was actually a plot point earlier in the season, when she walked out in that big brash red?  yellow?  (I can't remember) coat and then swapped with her lookalike in the security tent at her daughter's soccer game.

I remember when it was recommended that she consult with a stylist, resisted, and then went along as a way of deflecting attention on something else - it may have been the soccer game episode.

I remember when it was recommended that she consult with a stylist, resisted, and then went along as a way of deflecting attention on something else - it may have been the soccer game episode.

It was in the pilot. 

Have they had any follow up to the part where her friend wanted to surrender herself after the coup attempt failed?

Not yet. They probably want to use in the season finale or something.