Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Born Naked

• Start Topic

Ok I loved.LOVED! The commentary by Alaska & Bianca. Loved hearing the little tidbits about their season and just between us squirrel friends I kinda liked it a little more than the actual episode itself.

• Love 3

Boy Pearl is hot!  Maybe I'll meet him in the bathroom of a gay club sometimes.  Also really like Max, Ginger, Ms. Sasha Davis (?), and KATYA (love, love, he's kind of cute too out of drag and the talking heads are hilarious).  And the ABS on Jasmine Masters..wow...I'm super impressed and kind of turned on.

I kind of like Trixie too, let's see if there's anything else there.  Kandy is one annoying rude Ho, really, who asks someone else OBVIOUSLY older than you how old they are??  Tempest was actually kind of funny with her introduction with the birth of Amber Alert, I really wished that she had stayed just because Kandy Ho's drag is so tiring and very one note.  Sasha is forgettable except for a lot of people hating on her.

• Love 2

First impressions:  honestly I kinda like everybody.  Yeah Kandy came across as a bit rude but I give all the queens a free pass on the first day because everyone is trying to get their personalities out there and be as sassy/cute/bitchy/whatever as they can be.  It's usually the 2nd or 3rd episode where things calm down and real personalities come out so if she's still behaving like a little **** then yeah she's the villan of the season but enh cut her some slack for now.

Nobody I actually love at this point but I know in a few weeks I'll have a crush on someone.

These 2.5 minute long commercials in the logo app are brutal.

Good Lawd you aren't kidding!  And it doesn't help that my iPad wants to start buffering and stalling with each commercial break so a 2.5 min commercial break turns into a 5 minute commercial break!  But since I don't get Logo on tv anymore this is just how I'm gonna have to get my Rupaul fix I guess.

• Love 2

If you have the Logo app, you can watch the entire first episode with a running commentary by Alaska and Bianca! I don't know if this will be an on-going feature, but it was everything! As you can imagine, there were reads for days, but there was also some really interesting insight into how they felt in their respective seasons.

I hope this is a regular feature, it was so juicy. 

• Love 2

I like the new Untucked.  I think it'll make a bigger difference once the catfights start later in the season.  No more of one clique hides in one room, and another clique in the other.  They're all stuck with each other nowhere to hide, not allowed to leave the room, just a big gold couch and a watered down drink.

I've never been a Michelle fan, but she really won me over doing Big Brother a few months ago.  That said, having Ross and Carson there made me painfully aware of how old and tired her runway catcalls are getting.  I don't think she needs replaced, but I do think it wouldn't hurt to have a PA write up a list of all the ones she's already used in the last 6 seasons, so she can have it for reference of ones not to use again.  Santino had the same problem, but he's gone now, so it's Michelle they need to work on.

• Love 1

Good Lawd you aren't kidding!  And it doesn't help that my iPad wants to start buffering and stalling with each commercial break so a 2.5 min commercial break turns into a 5 minute commercial break!  But since I don't get Logo on tv anymore this is just how I'm gonna have to get my Rupaul fix I guess.

I mute my tablet, set my timer for a few minutes, and do something else. :/

• Love 3

That reminds me that Ross Matthews is trying waaaay too hard. He made a comment about every runway look and everyone else's comments! I'd take Michelle's retreads over his pointless comments (I love their cheesy biscuits!).

• Love 3

I tried to listen to Ross Matthews podcast and I found it nothing by irritating and trifling. I am not a fan of his. =( I'm not really sure why he is a judge, he really has nothing to add. (IMHO).

I'm not digging the new Untucked for several reasons:

1) first and foremost, I like Untucked on right after the episode, not a day later. Part of the fun of watching the main show was knowing you'd get to see them dish immediately afterward.  Separating them and changing formats from tv to online is sort of like having an interesting conversation with someone at a party, and that person suddenly stops, says "I'll have to talk to you tomorrow" and "oh, by the way, we can't talk here, I'll have to email you."   Something gets lost on the fun of that conversation.  My work schedule means that if the episodes aren't up until Tuesday, I may not have time to watch them until several days later, which makes them even more anti-climatic...

2) some people have liked the long, sad focus on Tempest departing at the end of Untucked (slowly walking down the hall while the other girls are laughing in the next room, out-of-drag and slowly loading his suitcases into his car), but (much as I felt for Tempest), wrapping up with that, and ending on a stark black screen of the words "13 Queens Remain" rather than Ru's usual funny "until we have a WINNAH!" (and no RuPaul at all actually on Untucked) leaves me with a grim and sad final note for premiere week.  "Grim and sad" is most definitely not the emotion I want to end up feeling when starting a season of RuPaul.  While the stripped down "behind the scenes" feel is nice for maybe an episode, if they're all gonna be like this, it's really gonna start feeling like simply some tacked on cheapo and even pretentious DVD extra... This is a drag queen competition, not a short, gritty nominee for Oscar documentary short.  Bring back the goddam fun.

• Love 4

I was sorry to see Twmpest go, but she really was a mess, and her lipsync terrible.

I've always hated 'Untucked', so I'm glad it's off LOGO.

Katya should've been in top 3, IMO. Using long hair as an illusion was brilliant & different.

I think I hate Violet.

Ms. Fame has to seriously be the most beautiful drag queen I've ever seen. Even over Carmen (pre change).

Jaidynn reminds me of Jiggly, but more tolerable & talented.

I was sorry to see Twmpest go, but she really was a mess, and her lipsync terrible.

I've always hated 'Untucked', so I'm glad it's off LOGO.

Katya should've been in top 3, IMO. Using long hair as an illusion was brilliant & different.

I think I hate Violet.

Ms. Fame has to seriously be the most beautiful drag queen I've ever seen. Even over Carmen (pre change).

Jaidynn reminds me of Jiggly, but more tolerable & talented.

I never found Carmen to be beautiful. She had a great body, but her overbite and bird like nose were just not pretty at all.

I found Manilla to be the pretty one that season.

This season Miss Fame is just not that pretty to me, She looks like Jay Manuel in drag although her body is great.  I actually think Katya has the prettiest face in drag this season.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm bummed because I don't have the Logo app. Would this mean I would have to watch the episode on me phone to get the Bianca/Alaska commentary? I'm either too blonde or too old to know the answer to this- please spare me.

Raja and Raven critique the fall runway outfits from the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIayj_1a_8shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIayj_1a_8shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIayj_1a_8shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIayj_1a_8shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIayj_1a_8shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIayj_1a_8s

IMO they were on point!

BTW, same day this video was posted, another video was posted to YouTube: "RuPaul's Drag Race Oh Pit Crew with Detox - Meet the New Guy". I won't link to it, because I hate to annoy by posting multiple videos around.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 3

I think Raja and Raven are more truthful about the toots and boots when they can't see the face. On most of the other Ruviews they seem to feel bad about booting someone if they know who it is. Especially Raja, Raven is a little bolder with the boots,but not like this.

• Love 1

Jasmine (the one with the abs) struck me as someone I need to leave immediately.

Also, the queens this season seem to be on the older side of life. They've got at least 2 40+ queens.

On the Logo app commentary, Bianca said of Jasmine's entrance, "She's giving season 4 teeth!"

Tempest DuJour is 46, and Mrs. Kasha Davis is 43. Jasmine Masters is 37, Kennedy Davenport is 33, and Katya is 32. The remaining nine queens are in their twenties.

• Love 2

Hey Locas! So excited for the new season! Time for my 2 cents:

I actually enjoyed the first episode more than I expected, after seeing the preview. For me, there is no front runner at this point, but we definitely have some distinct styles of Drag. First impressions: loving Katya, she's pretty and funny. Great talking heads! Violet knocked me out with her Fall Runway, but going pretty much all boy for the naked runway? Just No!!! Cannon fodder seems to be Sasha and Jasmine. Kennedy Davenport's talking heads were pretty funny, but can a pageant Queen make it to the end with this bunch? Not thinking so! Miss Fame is stunning, but I'm still in the camp of Carmen Carrera being the most stunning Queen I've ever seen. She just fascinates me for some reason, maybe it's that she embraces her imperfections.

Anyways, I so look forward to hearing everyone's opinions this season, you all are awesome!

(edited)

I tried to listen to Ross Matthews podcast and I found it nothing by irritating and trifling. I am not a fan of his. =( I'm not really sure why he is a judge, he really has nothing to add. (IMHO).

I think he does a lot of red carpet work for E!, and he's buds with Kelly Osbourne and some of the other celeb fashion commentators of the moment. He's also got Ru's drive at self marketing (they are neck and neck in their respective product-pushing on their podcasts). Perfect fit, IMHO.

Edited to add: I get it, though. There was a guest judge last year who kept screeching "FABulous", the one who told Trinity to 'put a cork in it', and I couldn't stand her. When I casually mentioned this on reddit, I got a downvote flood, so apparently she is popular. But every time she did that "FABulous" thing I wanted to turn off the television, and as such I have no idea how useful her commentary was. If she became a regular guest judge I would not be happy.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

Would this mean I would have to watch the episode on me phone to get the Bianca/Alaska commentary?

No, the version with commentary is also Logo's website along with Michelle interviewing Tempest and Pandora's weekly recap. 

• Love 1

Why is Bianca hating on Kathy Griffin though?? I like Kathy.

Bianca is a insult comic, hating on people is literally her job.

I read it as Bianca didn't like Kathy at all.  She never explained why it's just the way she made it seems was that she didn't like her, for reals.  See this is what I mean I was more interested in what Alaska & Bianca were saying than in the episode.  It could be that I've seen the ep. so many times I knew what was happening but dang I just wanted to hear what these 2 had to say about...anything really. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I actually completely disagree with whoever said that the queens seem older this season. Quite the opposite, in fact. As was noted up-thread, 9 out of 14 queens are in their twenties. Moreover, I feel like there's one genre of queen who's dominant - the white (or white-looking), 33 and under, tall, skinny queen who's a hipster or scenester urban gay boy out of drag, replete with opportune piercings, backwards baseball caps, and tight brightly colored tanks. Violet, Max, Trixie, Pearl, Miss Fame, and Katya, and arguably Sasha Belle, are part of this category. This season is more geographically diverse than prior ones, but, to me, it's less diverse in race, age, ethnicity, and type of drag. There aren't any Asian-Americans queens and there's only one Latina queen (Kandy Ho). There also seem to be fewer representatives of pageant and ball drag and there's no "body queen" who proclaims their effortless femininity as their main attribute (like Gia Gunn, Carmen Carrera, Stacy Layne Matthews, Kenya Michaels, etc.) I will say there's no one from the West Hollywood queen clique this season for the first time. 

I do agree that this is the first season, since Season 2 at least, where there wasn't a ton of buzz around any of the contestants coming in, and where it wasn't obvious from Day One who would be in the final four or five. In Season 4, there was buzz about Chad (because she's Chad), Sharon (from her Meet the Queens video), and Phi Phi (because she started a rumor that she won the whole thing and because of her singing skills.) It was pretty clear on the first episode that they, along with Latrice and Willam, would be the contenders. As I recall, in Season 5, the primary buzz was around Detox and Alaska, with some for Alyssa, Coco, Roxxxy, and Lyneisha (?). Jinkx flew under the radar pre-season (at least mostly) and she emerged as a contender by episode 3, but it was fairly unexpected. In Season 6, it was clear that Bianca, Ben, Courtney, and Darienne were going far from the get-go; there was buzz around Adore pre-season but it wasn't clear she would go on to the finals until episodes 3-5 (as with Jinkx in Season 5). I have my ideas, and I'll speculate in the speculation thread, but it's harder to figure out who will go far this season when you get rid of the obvious chaff - Jasmine, Kandy, and Sasha. The jury's still out on the rest. It's a combination of high talent level, skillful editing, and having few "name" queens coming in.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 2

I loved Ru's callback to Roxxxy Andrews when she saw Trixie's dress, "Is that a sequins dress?"

Now, do Ru and the judges come up with all their quippy comments at that moment or do they see the dresses ahead of time and think of jokes at their leisure (or maybe later in voiceover if they think of more funny comments)? I've always wondered about that. Probably all of the above.

• Love 4

I'm inclined to believe it's made up on the spot. I remember a few times where the judges' jaws dropped when the girls csme out: Raja's Indian & Georgian outfits, Sharon's Zombie outfit come immediately to mind.

• Love 1

I think he does a lot of red carpet work for E!, and he's buds with Kelly Osbourne and some of the other celeb fashion commentators of the moment. He's also got Ru's drive at self marketing (they are neck and neck in their respective product-pushing on their podcasts). Perfect fit, IMHO.

Except Ru is talented, witty, and effortlessly charming.  Ross is none of these things.  Hate him.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I read once, maybe on the TWOP forums, that they have witty people saying quips into their ears, like a sitcom date. I'm inclined to believe that some of the comments are fed to them, and others are off-the-cuff.

• Love 1

Except Ru is talented, witty, and effortlessly charming.  Ross is none of these things.  Hate him.

I thought Matthew's " we have a crack problem" was hilarious and witty.

Great premiere episode. So far, my favorites are Miss Fame, Pearl, and Violet Chachki. I think Jasmine Masters and Jaidynn Dior Fierce are fodder but they are hilarious so they can stay awhile. Poor Tempest DuJour. She wasn't the best but she didn't deserve to be insulted for her age. Kandy Ho is a wretched human being and can leave my TV screen anytime now.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 1