Type keyword(s) to search

Frank Delfino: Mystery Man, Fixer Extraordinaire

Decided it was about time Frank got his own thread.

In the finale thread, folks pointed out that he got busted planting evidence in Griffin's car, and that he did so in broad daylight.

All that's true. But think of all the shiznit that he has gotten away with:

Stealing Connor's truck and getting rid of evidence therein

Planting Nate's fingerprint on Sam's ring

Orchestrating the departure of the campus cop who could have identified the Murder Four

Tracking down the witness in the port case (presumably)

Getting Nate beat up in prison

Having a guy who could erase some of the incriminating info off of Lila's phone

I want to know why he does all these things for Annalise (and Sam?) without question, or at least without much question.  I know in the finale Sam said "You owe me", but there must be more to it than that.  After all once Sam was dead why would he keep doing this kind of "dirty work" for Annalise if it was just that?  He seems to unwavering in doing this kind of thing for her.  

I want to know why he does all these things for Annalise (and Sam?) without question, or at least without much question.

I have a theory about that.  I think Annalise gives him the environment to lead his dream life.  By nature and by experience he is a fixer.  Annalise is his ideal employer for that 'trade.'  One thing after another comes up for him to fix.  He makes good money, gets to wrap himself in a veil of respectability, scores with the female students.  He comes across to me as totally amoral, so committing crimes, even capital ones, don't bother him in the least. 

In short, Annalise lets this psycho-sociopath live life pretty much on his terms.  Without her, my guess is he would quickly be lost.

It really struck me at the very end of the final episode, both Annalise and Frank seemed quite sure the other was perfectly capable of murdering Rebecca.  And both had the identical reaction to each other.  Peas in a pod.    

• Love 4

Neurochick, I don't know the clinical definitions of those terms, so maybe I was too quick in assigning them to Frank.  Killing Lila did not seem to bother him in the least though.  And he instantly offered to 'handle' Sam's sister, which again seemed like a not-so-veiled offer to kill her.  

He all but laughed off Laurel's suggestion/question about him being a hit man...which of course he is.

A few episodes ago he seemed offended at Asher's supposition that just because Frank has an Italian last name that he has some sort of connection with the Mafia. I think Frank has some Mafia connections, bit isn't part of the mob himself.

Annalise does have those clients at the shipyard (who are presumably part of the mob) on retainer; I wonder whether Frank had some connection to them prior to meeting the Keatings.

Frank is like Dylan McKay from 90210: "mad, bad, and dangerous to know".  I wonder whether Annalise is worried whether Frank would ever turn on her.

Eh, I never bought that romance, and looking back on the season now, it just seems like it was a way to bring Frank into the loop of Sam's murder. I hope she continues to stay far away from him, especially now that it's been confirmed he's a cold-blooded killer.

• Love 2

Laurel was all up Frank's ass about taking care of things, including Rebecca in the finale. And she willingly participated in hacking up a murdered man's body and disposing of it, all while being the least emotionally affected and most resolute.  She doesn't have much moral high ground to stand on in that regard.   

Frank got more interesting to me after the Laurel romance was dropped, but I also believe his character was written differently in the latter half of the season.  Most of the fixer-related stuff happened in the latter half.  I distinctly recall Frank volunteered to write up some court document (which implied to me that he'd done something like that before), and Annalise shut him down with "let the lawyers doing the lawyering."  So I think he was originally written more on the legal side, but they changed him to be the mentally stable Huck of the show.  If he wasn't originally intended to be some kind of fixer, it explains the sloppy manner of planting evidence earlier in the season. 

I didn't think the actors generated much chemistry as Frank and Laurel, and it makes me wonder if that's why the show dropped the relationship. For a while there, I thought Frank and Bonnie might have had some kind of sexual, if not romantic, history, but not so much.

• Love 1

I think what I like most is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of extreme devotion to Annalise by Frank. He works for her, he's loyal to her, but he expects his return too. That return seems to be a good salary, his choice of female students (I think Laurel was dead on that she was Frank's choice, not Annalise's), and the freedom and permission to do the bad things he likes to do.

I really don't have any interest in Frank and Laurel. He laid it on thick with her and I think he enjoyed her but I don't think there was ever any kind of love or affection there. She was a fling. This is the Frank thread so I will just say that I think that coldness was coming from Laurel just as much as Frank.

His more interesting relationships IMO are with Asher and Bonnie. I wouldn't call Frank and Asher friends but they did seem to have fun together. Frank was about as normal and warm in those scenes as he ever was. But again, as soon as he ran out of use for Asher, he dropped him. If Bonnie wasn't so deeply inbedded with the Keatings I suspect the same would have happened there. They have this vibe like they don't like each other much at all but they are not the idiot students so they stick together. And they have obviously worked together quite a while since Bonnie said she had too much shit on Frank for him to really screw them over and on the positive side, he agreed to fix a door for her on Christmas. That that hasn't evolved into true friendship I think says a lot about the coldness of the people involved.

My issue with Frank is that he is very much a means-to-an-end character. He doesn't actually matter to the show IMO. He's just there to do the things that the story needs but none of the other characters would do. If I liked him more maybe that wouldn't bother me but I don't. To quote Bonnie about Sam- he's not a good man. My first thought when Sam said he owed him was that Sam helped him with a situation with a past student- maybe failing her or getting her to transfer before she did anything?

Edited by l star

I cannot believe this is the same guy who was the bland, hunky gym rat model trying to act on Buffy as BenIsGlory fifteen years ago. Damn. Losing that bod and slimming down into a more average guy range while putting on the hipster facial hair completely changed his look, even going beyond the normal aging process.

I do think the guy has improved leaps and bounds as an actor- I'm not saying he's Emmy-worthy or anything, but he's much better than he was then.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I cannot believe this is the same guy who was the bland, hunky gym rat model trying to act on Buffy as BenIsGlory fifteen years ago. Damn. Losing that bod and slimming down into a more average guy range while putting on the hipster facial hair completely changed his look, even going beyond the normal aging process.

I do think the guy has improved leaps and bounds as an actor- I'm not saying he's Emmy-worthy or anything, but he's much better than he was then.

I was absolutely floored when I found out that they are played by the same actor. I could never really see it until the scene where they show Frank killing Lila, when I was very strongly reminded of Giles killing Ben. I also recently re-watched season 5 of Buffy, and was really paying attention to see if I could "see" that it's the same person, but it was very difficult. Even his voice sounds different!

I honestly think he was on steroids, and when he stopped doing them, it completely changed his facial and bone structure not just his musculature.

I mean, ignoring the beard, his jawline just looks much softer and less sharp than it used to.

In any event, I do think his "makeover", however it was done, was a smart choice. He was hitting the point where he was getting too old to get cast as the hunky muscle pretty boy, and he's probably taken much more seriously now that he looks more like an Average Joe (for Hollywood) guy instead of an aging Abercrombie and Fitch model.

Edited by methodwriter85

Do you mean to imply there's some sort of connection between the actor who plays Frank and the actor who played Ben in Buffy?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

This really made me laugh! Thanks :)

Not gonna lie though, it took my brain about 30 seconds to catch up :P

Not going to lie Frank is HOT! The suits and the facial hair(which normally I don't like) are just working for me!

And it's not only that, he gets shit done.

It's murder, framing, cover ups, but it gets done by him and it's hot.

Is it hot in real life? Hell no. He's scary in real life. 

But yeah, on this show, he's hot.

Funny too when he called Oliver "your boo.." when speaking to Connor, I died laughing. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

So do we think Frank is bisexual?

I sure do hope so! There are a few comments he makes that kinda, sorta, might if you squint really hard be interpreted as a potential attraction to males.

1. 'I caught Nate and Wes together' 'Screwing?' It seems like a weird place for a hetero dude's brain to go.

2. The 'he's not my type' comment to Connor about Oliver.

3. Saying that despite Oliver not being his type he'd still spank him before Connor.

4. Apparently there was an interview somewhere where the cast was asked about who they'd ship or their crack ship or least likely ship or something, I dunno and someone said they'd ship Oliver and Frank because of their background before being shushed.

Now none of this actually means anything ofc but a boy can dream.

• Love 1

To celebrate more of Frank's shadiness from this season, he's also:

Got Levi busted for drugs

Disappeared Rebecca's body

Duped the M4 with the suitcase with the buttload of cash

Cried crocodile tears as to Anni's injury (for whatever nonnefarious/nefarious purposes)

Had one of the hottest scenes in recent memory when he got Rebecca all heated up and then shut her down

Quipped about Wes hooking up with Nate and how he'd do Oliver before Connor

Has no one suspecting him in killing Lila whatsoever

He's da man!

• Love 1