Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Remember

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

(edited)
The design of the ASZ wall is perfectly logical if you remember it was designed by a PROFESSOR of architecture. Those that can, do. Those who cannot, teach. I know it's an old saying, but it is SO true.

I don't think there are any architects or professors of architecture in this forum and yet multiple people have pointed out the issues with having support beams outside the walls. The most likely reason is that Deanna's husband didn't consider protecting the community from a guerrilla style attack by the living. I'm not sure how long after they landed in the development that construction on the walls began, but remember, the belief was that the Army was coming back. Maybe they thought the walls were temporary until the government regained control. They are also in a pretty secluded area, down a back road that, depending on how new the development is, might not be listed on any maps. Also, it's clear that Deanna and Aaron/Eric are now thinking about the threat of the living. Aaron and Eric don't tell people where the development is and drive newcomers to their home (most likely in the RV and I would bet they'd try to keep most new recruits occupied with eating/bathing/resting in order to not see the direct route to ASZ). 

The teenagers go to school half a day then hang out and read comics and play video games. Utterly impractical in a ZA, that labor can't be wasted like that. So get those kids to help tear down the houses around the wall and bring the usable lumber back to ASZ. To build the walkway around the inside of the wall that I talked about, all it takes is a horizontal cross member attached to the wall beam and the diagonal support. Then lay boards across these cross pieces. Teenagers with crowbars can take boards apart and pull nails out of them, while the little kids can carry the boards (even long ones) back in groups (for example, Mika and Lizzie could carry a 2x4 together). Securing your settlement is much more important than educating the children. There is time for school and rebuilding a semblance of a normal society, AFTER you have a secure home.

Speaking of which, to hell with the idyllic suburban community, esthetics be damed. Every house should have all the ground floor windows covered with bars or even chain link fence. You need to have more than one line of defense. What happens if walkers or evil humans get inside the wall, each house should be secure in and of itself just in case.

Since Abraham is on construction, there are clearly some additions being made. I'd assume they are related to protective infrastructure and not simply making additions to the McMansions. We also have only spent one episode with the community. We don't know how many people are available for this type of manual labor. Having watched this show since its premiere and being a connoisseur of zombie flicks (as is most of the forum, I'd assume) we know what should be done. But the people of ASZ are a)unfamiliar with zombies (even pretend ones) and b) not particularly knowledgeable about the devolution that has occurred outside their walls. I'd give them a slight break until we see more. 

Edited by GoldenHera
  • Love 4
(edited)

She made that weird comment about her husbands career title and that counted for something {paraphrase, someone must know the exact words?) so Rick must have been thinking and I should give a shit why?

The exact words:

Rick: You put up the wall?

Deanna: Well, there was this huge shopping mall being built nearby. And my husband Reg is a professor of architecture. And who he was mattered quite a bit. He got the first plates up with our sons. And after a few weeks, more people arrived and we had help. We had a community.

Dig a hole 3 feet deep 3 feet wide 3 feet long and you began to understand the nature of mostly manual construction.

Truer words...

Edited by Raven1707

Speaking of which, to hell with the idyllic suburban community, esthetics be damed. Every house should have all the ground floor windows covered with bars or even chain link fence. You need to have more than one line of defense. What happens if walkers or evil humans get inside the wall, each house should be secure in and of itself just in case.

Just make sure the bars or fence in on some frame that a person inside could open in case of fire. Remember Rick and Carl setting the ground floor of the barn on fire, and then standing on the loft floor with no where to go until Jimmy brought the RV (only because Daryl told him to.)

Then they go to Father PP's church...and nail boards over the windows and doors...and have to chop it apart to make an opening.

I think Rick, Carl and Carol are the only remaining originals of CDB, and all three of them have come a long, long way.

Glenn and Daryl too!

28bf53cd4da5c9ef3b77e48723e27849.jpg

• Love 7
(edited)

I watched "Remember" again last night, and had a few random thoughts:

• I love watching Rick Grimes run.
  • The front gates -- outer wrought iron & inner chain-link -- of Alexandria look to be secure, at least from walkers. At the end of the episode, when they've all returned from the outside, there's a guy standing very near the gates, and the gap at the bottom of the inner chain-link appears to be only about ankle high. Granted, some of the walkers are painfully skinny, but I just don't see any of them squeezing through that gap.
  • By the way, this same guy stepped outside the gates briefly after Glenn & company returned, evidently because he saw Rick and Carl (and presumably Enid) approaching. So the gates were NOT left open and unattended.
  • Daryl tackled Nicholas, not Aiden.
  • If I were Rick, I'd lose the tie.
Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 5
(edited)

Just make sure the bars or fence in on some frame that a person inside could open in case of fire. Remember Rick and Carl setting the ground floor of the barn on fire, and then standing on the loft floor with no where to go until Jimmy brought the RV (only because Daryl told him to.)

Then they go to Father PP's church...and nail boards over the windows and doors...and have to chop it apart to make an opening.

28bf53cd4da5c9ef3b77e48723e27849.jpg

Technically Judith was around in Atlanta, even if just a little ball of cells...

I know Daryl was pacing and swinging a opossum around Deanna's office, but her tone was much more harsh when dealing with Daryl.  Poker player was gone and I think she was showing perhaps a little snobby side.

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 3
(edited)

I doubt they used solely manual construction to put up that wall. It's more likely they used the heavy machinery that would have been at the mall construction site along with the materials they used. It's probably theoretically possible with the limited manpower they had, but I don't believe it would have been a necessary option as long as the machines had fuel. Maybe that figured into the decision-making though, to design a wall that could be expediently completed with manual labour if necessary. Rather than weighing the likelihood of an attempt to tear down the wall against an attempt to push it down by force I think they wanted to create a barrier with the minimal use of materials and time so putting the braces on the outside meant they could make a smaller wall with less of it's structure encroaching on the interior. It may be scalable on the inside at the point where the panels are joined,  but it's also scalable to a lesser extent from the outside where the braces are located. The joins would not need to face out to accommodate bracing on the inside, proper framing would have been on the inside if those panels had been used for an enclosed building.  It's primary purpose was against the occasional walker and much later it served to keep undesirable people out. It was not constructed with thought to serving as a stronghold. Even if we assume that they built the wall using everything they had available to scavenge, they could have supplemented it at a distance with a rubble wall, with earthworks like trenching, a berm with a steep outer side or a ha-ha. There are any number of additional defences they could contrive by using sharpened stakes from felled trees. They haven't because they've seen no need to do so.  I think script is really the operative word, at some point the script will call for at least a portion of those walls or gates to fail due to the pressure of a herd or well-equipped force of enemies.

ETA

Even if they were only thinking in terms of "wanderers" as they call them,  something as simple as constructing a gate opening outwards from porches or exterior steps would go a long way towards preventing them from entering the homes. 

They are very proud of their wall and haven't considered the possibilities of it failing. I don't think they've even considered internal threats sufficiently, what if someone simply drops dead of a heart-attack while out for an evening stroll?

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 1

I think it would be nice if AMC began to plan the end of the series. Wind the show up in season 7.

In no way am I ready for this show to end . There are still a lot of stories to tell. I'm along for the ride until the very end (which hopefully will be years from now)

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't think there are any architects or professors of architecture in this forum and yet multiple people have pointed out the issues with having support beams outside the walls. The most likely reason is that Deanna's husband didn't consider protecting the community from a guerrilla style attack by the living.

A couple of points:

• Most of the issues cited take into account how much the threat of living raiders outweighs the threat of undead walkers - an obvious consideration at THIS point in time (2+ years into the ZA) and with the benefit of hindsight as to CDB's experience, but not so much in the early days, when (I assume) the Wall was built.
  • Back when the Wall was built with a focus on protection against walkers, having the support structures on the outside makes perfect sense.  If a scouting/scavenging party got cut off from the main gates by a large ramble of roamers, the support beams gives humans a relatively easy way to climb back in which walkers can't follow.
Edited by Nashville
  • Love 7

Haven't had much time to post recently what with work and being sick, which is always fun.  Everyone has already covered everything I had questions about, I think.

I think I'm going with the idea that the Alexandrians aren't a group with bad intentions but I'm not sure if they can be trusted simply because of their naivete and potential for getting the Rickettes killed. They've certainly had more experience with walkers than they're letting on because what's his name (Aaron?) said they had pretty much cleared one of the highways that led to their town but I'm guessing that they're just not very good at it and have lost people.  I'm leaning towards them wanting Rick's group because they do know how to handle themselves and have a lot to offer.  At least that's what I'm hoping because it would be nice to see them find some decent people.  My biggest problem is trusting the politician and I'm concerned that Rick didn't insist on asking her questions and taping them for later review with the group.

I have many questions that I'm guessing will be answered soon like why aren't they growing their own food and if they are why didn't they assign the group some jobs that involved that process.  Growing, canning and preserving that much food would be no small endeavor.

Anyway, I have really enjoyed the last two episodes and reading everyone's posts.  Til Sunday!

• Love 5

I have many questions that I'm guessing will be answered soon like why aren't they growing their own food and if they are why didn't they assign the group some jobs that involved that process. Growing, canning and preserving that much food would be no small endeavor.

Somebody's canning applesauce. I'm guessing it's Olivia (the woman who wheeled away CDB's guns). She bragged in the preview about her pickle-making skills.

• Love 3
(edited)

My problem with the design of the wall:

With the supports on the outside of ASZ when you push on the wall the support beam is in tension, with the support inside ASZ the support beam is in compression. The steel support beams show have equal strength in compression or tension. However, with the support on the outside you are actually relying on the connection between the top of the support and the wall for your strength (in a tension situation you are pulling things apart). And it looks like that support beam is bolted into the wall. 2-4 bolts are a LOT weaker than that steel beam. Those bolts are especially vulnerable to a shock load, like what you'd get if you ran a car into the wall. Architects, engineers (imagineers), professors are generally really smart people who design some beautiful things ... on paper. Making those things actually WORK in the real world is often times another matter.

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Love 2

Thanks! For the life of me I could not figure that out.

No problem.  When I first got here (from TWoP), I thought it was a joke reference calling the group the Charlie Daniels Band.  :)

• Love 3

They are very proud of their wall and haven't considered the possibilities of it failing. I don't think they've even considered internal threats sufficiently, what if someone simply drops dead of a heart-attack while out for an evening stroll?

I would make people wear those wrist bands that are made for working out; you can set those for time or pulse or resp per minute for cardio.

You could set them so if someone's pulse or blood pressure or breathing stops, the alarm beeper goes off. That would tell you if someone is turning (and where!) but would also be important in someone was alone and fell and hit their head or something. People can get injured without dying right away but if they are unconscious they can't call for help.

Somebody's canning applesauce. I'm guessing it's Olivia (the woman who wheeled away CDB's guns). She bragged in the preview about her pickle-making skills.

Doesn't she make her own cured meat too? (oh Daryl...got a girl for you!!)

Honestly I think I see her with Eugene.

• Love 4

I have many questions that I'm guessing will be answered soon like why aren't they growing their own food and if they are why didn't they assign the group some jobs that involved that process.  Growing, canning and preserving that much food would be no small endeavor.

My biggest problem is trusting the politician and I'm concerned that Rick didn't insist on asking her questions and taping them for later review with the group.

Liked what you said about the food production; you can have dried or canned food that doesn't mean wait till the last minute to start farming. If they have apple trees those had to be there before they moved in. Judith is supposedly 8 months old and since she was born right after their arrival at the prison, we are looking at the end or the second summer/beginning of the second autumn. So too late now to garden in Virginia!

I think If Rick said, I have some questions...but i need to borrow your camcorder and borrow some blank tapes, and then I'll need a TV/monitor to watch them later. Just for fun. Nothing important.----

I don't think Deanna would go along with that.

• Love 1

I think If Rick said, I have some questions...but i need to borrow your camcorder and borrow some blank tapes, and then I'll need a TV/monitor to watch them later. Just for fun. Nothing important.----

Very, very true.  I would still be asking a shit load of questions, though.

I was thinking about the group staying in one house.  Can you imagine the anxiety they would feel to be separated from each other after living together in such close quarters for so long and sharing so many traumatic experiences?  I think I would have major panic attacks, at least in the beginning.

• Love 2
Anyone else concerned with who took Rick's hidden gun and also how did that walker get there? He wasn't there when Rick put the gun in that container. Guess we'll find out in a future episode.

I immediately figured Enid took his gun. But it wasn't until my second watch that the walker under the blanket really stood out to me. How DID it get there? If someone put it there, it would have to have been someone who knew he'd come looking for his gun. And I can't see Enid being able to accomplish that. Not alone. So maybe she is really helping/spying for the group of exiles? Or maybe it's yet another writing oversight, because they thought it would look cool.

As for the whole CDB thing, Andrea literally told Rick, "You just rung their dinner bell" in Guts. After he entered the mall, having shot up the street and riled the walkers into a frenzy. The name was very fitting for a long time. Now I continue to use it more out of fondness than accuracy. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Liked what you said about the food production; you can have dried or canned food that doesn't mean wait till the last minute to start farming. If they have apple trees those had to be there before they moved in. Judith is supposedly 8 months old and since she was born right after their arrival at the prison, we are looking at the end or the second summer/beginning of the second autumn. So too late now to garden in Virginia!

He could go get that camcorder in the ruins....It is driving me crazy ever since I looked at that damn Alexandria 360.  It's just laying there open like someone was filming and it's going to drive me insane(er).

I immediately figured Enid took his gun. But it wasn't until my second watch that the walker under the blanket really stood out to me. How DID it get there? If someone put it there, it would have to have been someone who knew he'd come looking for his gun. And I can't see Enid being able to accomplish that. Not alone. So maybe she is really helping/spying for the group of exiles? Or maybe it's yet another writing oversight, because they thought it would look cool.

As for the whole CDB thing, Andrea literally told Rick, "You just rung their dinner bell" in Guts. After he entered the mall, having shot up the street and riled the walkers into a frenzy. The name was very fitting for a long time. Now I continue to use it more out of fondness than accuracy. 

How far away is that house?  Their battery ran out and that was Rick said he needed to take a minute and hid it.  After rewatch and pause it was definitely Enid in the burned down house.  I'm assuming the other house needs to be a bit away or they wouldn't have been so freaked that their battery died.

Edited by kj4ever

I swear that when I first went to the ASZ site there was an actual map with some spots pinpointed as clickable. I just went back, and it's no longer a feature. Arghhh! One of the points led to a picture of Rick standing inside the compound, next to the wall, and I could clearly see a pile of steel girders behind him. Did anyone else see that? My point is that they have the material to brace the wall from the inside as well.  Maybe that's the construction project that Abraham is working on. I really, really hope so. I wonder if the show runners expected so many of us to go just a little insane about that fence? Heh. Back in the days of TWoP there used to be annual awards voted on by viewers. One of the categories was something like Best Performance by an Inanimate Object. The fence would win hands down.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't find that map anymore either. I found it easier to use than paging about the street photos with the arrows. I wonder if there was a reason for removing it or if it's just a temporary glitch?

I'm trying not to read something into every random item I see in those photos, but the gas can in front of the burnt-out house with what appears to be another on the porch kind of leapt out at me.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

How the hell does someone "put" a walker anywhere?  And expect it to stay put?  Quietly? 

Granted you could leg-chain it to a stake or something similar, but a walker is not going to lay quietly under a blanket waiting for its All-Star Peek-A-Boo performance; it's going to snarl and keep trying to move, pulling against the restraint until either the stake or its foot comes loose.

I'd more likely expect a (possibly wounded) human crawling under the blanket to hide from walkers, then dying and turning himself and laying in quiet until roused by some stimuli - such as the sound of a Grimes family bonding moment.

• Love 6

can you find it on this ?

I did a 360 view of every option offered, but it never showed that particular area.  I did notice that the street signs were all blank, though. That struck me as strange. Well, that and those two burned-out classic cars parked behind one of the ruined houses. I'd love to know the story behind that.

• Love 3
She's making them all question their associations with each other (which wouldn't have come about in the Before) and I don't like it. I think in her interview with Rick she actually said that what you were Before DOES matter. It doesn't matter with our group but she is trying to make them think it does. I don't know what her motives are yet but I don't like it.

I took it to mean that she needed to know their skills in order to put them to work for the community.  That's why she made the comment about who her husband was did matter very much because he was able to figure out how to build the walls.

• Love 3

How the hell does someone "put" a walker anywhere?  And expect it to stay put?  Quietly? 

Martha Stewart and a hot glue gun.

I knew there was something about Deanna that gave me the creeps.

• Love 4

I took it to mean that she needed to know their skills in order to put them to work for the community.  That's why she made the comment about who her husband was did matter very much because he was able to figure out how to build the walls.

I think knowing what people did before the ZA serves two functions: 1, it allows them to try and match the person to the skills they already have; and 2, if they are trying to rebuild a community, having regular jobs etc., will go a long way towards bringing people back from their near feral state. As Glenn, said, they were almost out there too long. But CDB isn't so far gone that they've lost their humanity and ability to be with people. Giving people a 'normal' function might help assimilate them back into a regular society..

• Love 1

I liked Deanna from the moment she said something like "Looks like the Communists won." It made me laugh because, in simplistic terms, she's right on. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx.  It made perfect sense to me that she would put people to work where they were the most capable and/or the most needed.

• Love 1

Granted you could leg-chain it to a stake or something similar, but a walker is not going to lay quietly under a blanket waiting for its All-Star Peek-A-Boo performance; it's going to snarl and keep trying to move, pulling against the restraint until either the stake or its foot comes loose.

I'd more likely expect a (possibly wounded) human crawling under the blanket to hide from walkers, then dying and turning himself and laying in quiet until roused by some stimuli - such as the sound of a Grimes family bonding moment.

Well, you could make the walker immobile. Did it come all the way out? Did we see its legs? Perhaps it couldn't really move. What was that on top of it? A blanket? Old carpet? If it was very heavy and someone had done something to his legs, I can see it basically being stuck under there. 

But yea, your theory probably makes more sense. But Rick had JUST been there the day before, so that would have to be a fairly recent death.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think knowing what people did before the ZA serves two functions: 1, it allows them to try and match the person to the skills they already have; and 2, if they are trying to rebuild a community, having regular jobs etc., will go a long way towards bringing people back from their near feral state. As Glenn, said, they were almost out there too long. But CDB isn't so far gone that they've lost their humanity and ability to be with people. Giving people a 'normal' function might help assimilate them back into a regular society..

But, as someone pointed out upthread, they WEREN'T out there too long. Until a few weeks ago, CDB was at the prison, where they had set up a similar cooperative society, each contributing in his/her own way, i.e., having a 'normal' function (baby minder, farmer, doctor, hunter/gatherer, guard...). They never lost the ability to be a community, in the prison or on the road, and they don't need to relearn it. And their way was to have less of a dictator (Deanna), more of a democracy (the council). Then someone (remember the Gov? Seems so long ago) took the prison away from them. I think (hope?) that CDB still recognizes how vulnerable they are to that sort of person/group, and they see the aszhats are inexperienced/unprepared to face that threat. CDB retaining their 'feral' qualities is more important than who did which jobs Before. They are miles ahead of Deanna in knowing how to construct a working society in this new world.

Speaking of Before, Deanna's 'job' was politician. Just sayin'.

Edited by flutist4fun
  • Love 1

Just going off what people did pre-ZA isn't practical either. Glenn delivered pizza (a skill I'm glad people have in this world when I'm in the mood for hot food brought to me, but not exactly something that is an essential skill now. Would she have him playing go[her and running things back and forth for people? A lot of people have grown and changed during the ZA, and it's important not to overlook that. But I can't decide if Deanna doesn't realize how much they've had to change, or if she is deliberately trying to bring them back to identities that were less capable than they are now.

• Love 4

Speaking of Before, Deanna's 'job' was politician. Just sayin'.

Which means she's great at telling people what they want to hear, lying, and believing that she knows what's best for all the little people...

• Love 3

Last week I grumbled a bit about Coral's extremely weak knife-fighting position when he was opening that door. This time around, I realized that, due to the direction that the door was built to swing open, he was holding it left handed, which I seriously doubt he's used to. Now, I actually like the scene. It's a nice little touch of environmentally-induced awkwardness.

• Love 1

I just wondered, Rick wouldn't let them take the water, but Abe and them took stuff from cars without worrying...so if the same water was in cars Rick would have been fine with it.

I was thinking about the group staying in one house.  Can you imagine the anxiety they would feel to be separated from each other after living together in such close quarters for so long and sharing so many traumatic experiences?  I think I would have major panic attacks, at least in the beginning.

Yup, even though Rick wanted the crew to stay in the same house because of his concerns about everyone's safety I think they all probably would have wound up in the same house anyway.  For most of the time that any of them have been together they have always been in close quarters.  For those that were around, the prison is the location at which they've had the most space between them.  When I saw them all piled in the same room to kick it and to sleep I thought that some time would have to pass before they'd be comfortable enough to live without hearing one another inhaling, exhaling, snoring and pooting through the night.

In the scene with the young dudes inviting Carl to play videogames I think that games that involved driving or jumping over jewels or such would have been entertaining to him.  But if the young dudes offered any games that had slashing or shooting Carl probably would have told them: "I've played already played that game--IN REEEALLLLL LIFE!"

My favorite part of that entire confrontation at the front gate between Aiden and Glenn was Michonne.  After Glenn short-socked Aiden and Daryl took down that other fool Aiden jumped back up like he was really going to kick some ass, sayeth Michonne: "Do you want to get knocked on your ass again?"

When Rick and the posse first made it to Alexandria I think he had Sasha shoot that walker, from a great distance, just to make the point that they were that bad!

• Love 1

Last week I grumbled a bit about Coral's extremely weak knife-fighting position when he was opening that door. This time around, I realized that, due to the direction that the door was built to swing open, he was holding it left handed, which I seriously doubt he's used to. Now, I actually like the scene. It's a nice little touch of environmentally-induced awkwardness.

In the father-son zombie bash outside the walls, Carl was using the knife in his left hand. Maybe Chandler Riggs is a lefty?

• Love 3

But, as someone pointed out upthread, they WEREN'T out there too long. Until a few weeks ago, CDB was at the prison, where they had set up a similar cooperative society, each contributing in his/her own way, i.e., having a 'normal' function (baby minder, farmer, doctor, hunter/gatherer, guard...). They never lost the ability to be a community, in the prison or on the road, and they don't need to relearn it. And their way was to have less of a dictator (Deanna), more of a democracy (the council). Then someone (remember the Gov? Seems so long ago) took the prison away from them. I think (hope?) that CDB still recognizes how vulnerable they are to that sort of person/group, and they see the aszhats are inexperienced/unprepared to face that threat. CDB retaining their 'feral' qualities is more important than who did which jobs Before. They are miles ahead of Deanna in knowing how to construct a working society in this new world.

But the ASZ folks probably don't know the CDB history. If they have only been monitoring them post-Terminus or Grady, they've never witnessed our group at a 'home base'. They know that CDB is a family and support each other, but they were wanderers.

And as far as our gang is concerned...they've seen some shit in a very short period of time (the brutality of the Governor, the horror of cannibalism at Terminus, the bullshit at Grady) and have lost of lot of their family members in that same short time-frame. After such a deluge of awfulness, I could understand how one's humanity might take a hit.

Some walkers seem content to stay put if there's no stimuli (movement, sound) in the immediate area.  Although, I would imagine a walker in the woods would've constantly tried to chase after every bird or forest creature it heard or saw.