Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

It does make you wonder what would've happened if Eliza had chosen the Faith Spin-off. Since basically every character I see her play, is Faith. She's going to be on Banshee Season 4 which is a perfect show for Faith. Lol.

While I was worried Faith would die her entire run, she made it through the series finale. They brought back Anna from the Vampire Diaries for an episode as a ghost which was the last episode of that show I ever watched. 

(edited)

I'm with FurryFury, I still kind of wish for the Faith spinoff that almost was. Throw in Wesley and Spike and I'd have been so there.

But agree with everyone else - 90% of my excitement for this show has to do with Sara being resurrected. I was soooooo furious when she was killed off - it's just amazing to have her back and on another show now.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

While I was worried Faith would die her entire run, she made it through the series finale. They brought back Anna from the Vampire Diaries for an episode as a ghost which was the last episode of that show I ever watched.

On The Vampire Diaries (and its spin-off The Originals) probably half the characters have died and come back. I hope the Arrow-verse isn't going to be so bad that I no longer care if somebody dies because I know they'll be back. Although I still wish TVD had brought back Anna on a more permanent basis than just a few episodes as a ghost.

Well, so far they've only brought back Sara (3rd time's the charm I guess) and Malcolm Merlyn (which was absolutely unneeded - my husband hated it so much he dropped the show after that episode). I also suspect they'll bring Eddie Thawn back as a villain or something later in the show for an arc.

Anna was my favorite character on TVD. That's another show I stopped watching because of the casual way they killed off characters using the excuse that it gave them more story to tell. When I've rarely ever seen that be the case. On TVD they could've done something different and told the story of a female vampire and a male human.

I'm hoping they don't ruin Sara, these writers do make me wary of that. However I think the shortened season is a good thing. They can have a tighter written story without much time for pointless filler episodes. I said this in the Agent Carter forum, if you really think about it a 22/23 episode show really only has 10 or fewer really good episodes the rest are either pointless or it sucked. I wonder when American television will catch on to that. Plus they can have more shows if every show is only half a season. 

I didn't realize that they hadn't filmed a pilot yet; so it's possible that we might not see anything from the trailer in the actual show. Interesting.

At Awesome Con, AD said his character, Rip, would be the leader of the team; which is interesting because I've also heard BR say that Ray will be the leader. Did someone's wires get crossed? Will Rip be in charge of mission planning, and Ray, the leader in the field? Will Sara smack them both in the head with her staff, and take charge herself?

Even though this is an ensemble, someone is still going to be the leader (and the de facto lead), TPTB love them some Ray, but Sara's has generated the overwhelming amount of interest since the announcement. Are they still going to push Ray as their leading man, even after the lackluster response he's received, or are they they finally willing to go into a new direction.

I think Ray should be like his counterpart Iron Man and be the money and the tech. Rip should be the leader because he knows the future and will be in charge of sending them where they need to go. Sara should be the Field Leader being that she's the only one that we know of that is combat trained. Stein while not being Firestorm should be the mentor or the one that can reign that team of misfits in when they need to be. Don't know exactly what they are doing with Hawkgirl, so I don't know about her role yet. 

• Love 6

It's interesting that you've remembered the Avengers, and I think it's fair to say it's not clear who's the leader there either, I mean, Steve probably is the most trusted/respected character in the group and has been shown to be a commander in the field, but from a meta perspective, I'd say Tony has had more focus in both movies. Maybe it will be something like that in LOT too, Ray would probably get more spotlight while another character (or several) would become the de facto leader(s).

• Love 4

At Awesome Con, AD said his character, Rip, would be the leader of the team; which is interesting because I've also heard BR say that Ray will be the leader. Did someone's wires get crossed? Will Rip be in charge of mission planning, and Ray, the leader in the field? Will Sara smack them both in the head with her staff, and take charge herself?

Even though this is an ensemble, someone is still going to be the leader (and the de facto lead), TPTB love them some Ray, but Sara's has generated the overwhelming amount of interest since the announcement. Are they still going to push Ray as their leading man, even after the lackluster response he's received, or are they they finally willing to go into a new direction.

I think it's a little bit of everything....

I think Rip will naturally be the leader of the mission.  He's the man who built the first time capsule, he is forming the team, and he is the one who knows the mission he needs them to compete. 

I think Ray will fund the team, provide their technology, and give them their mission central so to speak.  He will also be two of the resident geniuses (Dr. Stein being the other) so that will make him a bit of a leader as well (and I think I've heard Brandon refer to Ray as one of the leaders, not the only leader).  I also think Ray will be their romantic lead - not in the sense of Oliver or Barry, but just in the sense that I'm almost positive they are going to give him a reason to end up shirtless. :)

Finally, I think Sara will be their lead fighter and perhaps strategists.  She will likely be the one that keeps Cold and Heatwave in line. 

So yeah, in many ways I think you will have three "leaders."

• Love 4

The Avengers all have their skills and the other team members look to them when those skills are needed. Just like LoT. However I consider the true leader, the mission giver or combat strategist. 

Rip will give the mission and if there is going to be a fight, Sara takes over, if the need to use tech, Ray will take over. 

• Love 2

if you really think about it a 22/23 episode show really only has 10 or fewer really good episodes the rest are either pointless or it sucked.

I hear this a lot but I honestly don't agree.  Most shows I watch I don't care if every episode is essential as long as I liked it for one reason or another and for most shows (where I have a much lower standard to be fair) I rarely dislike any of the episodes.  Even for Arrow in season three, I think there are only about 3 or 4 episodes I would have preferred not to have seen and even within them there were saving graces. 

I think Rip will naturally be the leader of the mission.  He's the man who built the first time capsule, he is forming the team, and he is the one who knows the mission he needs them to compete.

I think Ray will fund the team, provide their technology, and give them their mission central so to speak.  He will also be two of the resident geniuses (Dr. Stein being the other) so that will make him a bit of a leader as well (and I think I've heard Brandon refer to Ray as one of the leaders, not the only leader).  I also think Ray will be their romantic lead - not in the sense of Oliver or Barry, but just in the sense that I'm almost positive they are going to give him a reason to end up shirtless. :)

Finally, I think Sara will be their lead fighter and perhaps strategists.  She will likely be the one that keeps Cold and Heatwave in line.

So yeah, in many ways I think you will have three "leaders."

I can absolutely see this happening.  Rip will outline the mission and I can see Ray being the defacto leader if for no other reason than I think Sara would be hesitant to take the lead, but when the moment calls for it she will step up and take control. 

Chances are ALL the characters will be given a chance to shine, at least initially before some start getting killed off.  I think Sara should at least be safe from having that hanging over her head. 

• Love 2

I don't know if this was posted here yet or not, but it shows some of the stunts (where Caity is doing all of hers) and talks a bit about what they have planned for the show. 

(edited)

Heh.  I wonder if Caity doing most of her own stunts (even she won't ever do ALL of them, rest assured, but she'll do any on-the-ground fight scenes, of course) creates any pressure on her more macho co-stars?

BTW: that WAS posted somewhere here and isn't actually from anything other than the trailer they shot for the show (it was shot specifically for that purpose and who knows how much, if any, will ever be used in the series itself).

Edited by Kromm

I'm actually looking forward to a 13 episode run season. I think it will give them a tighter turn around to tell a productive and interesting story. They have to somehow work on how to get the Team to function as a good team both on the screen & in the storyline. I think making it 13 episodes gives then adequate time to do just that and focus on the most important parts of the team & story dynamics. A lot of quality cable shows are just about 13 episodes and that works for them. A lot of good shows (network & cable) have started with a limited run in both comedy & drama. So I think it was a good choice for the network to given them 13 episodes to really get the show together.

I feel like every episode will be a must see, where that sentiment for me drop off with both the Flash & Arrow this season. I want to tune in every week because I am eager to see what will happen, not because I need to make sure that I keep up on the plot lines for the upcoming episodes. Arrow will still hold my attention & loyalty because I have invested in the characters. But the Flash, I don't know its been how many weeks and I've yet to watch the finale despite having some time in that last few days. While I don't mind referring to the previously on portion of shows, I don't want that to become the norm for me, especially with a new show. I want the ability to invest in the characters & the story. I hope by filtering out some of the filler that usually comes in longer seasons, it will be a more invest-worthy show. And then maybe season 2 can be as long as they need it to be.

Regarding the speculation over on the Sara thread about Laurel crossing over to this show:

I don't think we'll see much of Laurel on this show. Maybe one episode, but my guess is going to be that the inevitable crossover episodes are going to focus on the fan favorite characters. Which means Barry, definitely, Cisco, definitely, Oliver, definitely, Felicity, probably, Diggle, probably (especially if Lyla turns out to be the floater), Joe, probably, Reverse Flash, probably (especially since he can be part of any time travel hijinks).

Everyone else (including, alas, Sin, who I would love to see on this show) is a maybe right down to unlikely. Laurel does have an in character reason to visit her sister, and she's a costumed character now, so that's two points in her favor, but against that is the way Arrow and Flash have been treating her: she was barely part of the huge Arrow/Flash December crossover (Thea, Eddie and Quentin all had more screentime in those episodes). Her Flash crossover was almost as brief: Ray and Quentin had more screentime in their crossovers than she did. She did finally get more Laurel-centric episodes this season - but against that, she missed one episode completely, was sidelined in several others, and was barely in four of the six final Arrow episodes. This is all apart from more difficult to quantify issues such as popularity, reasons for any given episode's ratings/total viewers, critical feedback and so on. 

Even the in-character reason to have her visit the show only goes so far, since this applies to pretty much every other character on Arrow/Flash except Thea and Malcolm: Iris has a reason to investigate the new group as part of her job as a reporter; Sara is Quentin's daughter; Caitlin is married to one-half of Firestorm; Nyssa is Sara's pre-death girlfriend; and so on.  With the more popular characters, Barry and Oliver are apparently helping to form the group because they are the leads of their respective shows; Felicity is Ray's ex and friends with Ray and Sara; Cisco can apparently see multiple timelines, so there's a really good reason to have him on the show; Reverse Flash is screwing with the timeline and is a potential antagonist; Malcolm is a potential antagonist, especially with Sara returning via Lazarus Pit; Diggle is awesome; and Joe is Joe.  

Which basically means that with only 15 episodes, unless every episode is a crossover episode, Legends just won't have time to have Laurel in multiple crossover episodes and feature other popular characters who have a reason to be on the show.  And although it's possible that every episode will be a crossover episode, I don't think that's likely for both budget reasons (the regulars are contracted only for their respective shows, so Legends wouldn't get them for "free" - they'd have to pay them as guest stars) and filming schedule reasons since Legends will be filming at more or less the same time (the main reason why the Oliver and Barry crossovers at the end of Flash and Arrow were so short - both actors were also busy with their own shows).  Obviously I don't know how many Legends episodes will be Arrow/Flash crossover episodes, but my guess is that it will only be five or six episodes.  Arrow only had four crossover episodes this past season (including Barry's cameo in "The Calm") and The Flash only had five (including Oliver's cameo in the pilot.)  And those shows both had 23 episode orders.  Legends has just 15. Of those 5 or 6 episodes, at least half will probably focus on the more popular Flash characters.  So yeah, I just don't see Laurel appearing that much on this show.

• Love 1

Arrow only had four crossover episodes this past season (including Barry's cameo in "The Calm") and The Flash only had five (including Oliver's cameo in the pilot.)  And those shows both had 23 episode orders.  Legends has just 15. Of those 5 or 6 episodes, at least half will probably focus on the more popular Flash characters.  So yeah, I just don't see Laurel appearing that much on this show.

Actually, didn't The Flash have 6 crossovers?  Oliver in the pilot, Felicity in 1.4, the official crossover, Felicity and Ray, Quentin and Laurel, and then Oliver showing up to help defeat RF.  But I got the impression that the Flash audience was seriously tired of crossovers and that was only 6 out of 23 episodes. (I guess I'm also a part of the Flash audience but I'm an Arrow girl first so I was fine with all the crossovers) 

LoT has only 13 initial episodes (though I expect it to get picked up for a season two and maybe get a larger episode count then) and already such a crowded cast of big personalities, that what the writers are really going to have to do is work hard to get balance between characters in EVERY episode, not just the ones with a guest star(s) added.  Joss Whedon was great at balancing a large cast but it is not a skill that every writer has.  I think both of the full cast crossovers with Flash and Arrow did a pretty good job at with the balancing act but so many of the individual Flash or Arrow episodes usually leaned in favor of a handful of "fav" characters.

As the season went on for The Flash I felt Iris and even more so Caitlyn got pushed aside for the guys in the cast.  In Arrow, Thea never IMO quite was used to her fullest potential even when she was getting good screen time (why did we waste a second on DJ douchebag?)  Felicity spent half her time only being there for Ray to have something to do.  And Laurel was feast or famine, in too much IMO of the episode or barely there at all. 

Maybe when LoT is introduced the characters will fall into a more natural hierarchy, with some being the obvious show leads but right now even the actors I know nothing about seem to have the potential to pull all the focus.  Rip, Ray, Sara, Kendra, Cap Cold, and Stein, all seem IMO more than capable of leading a show, but does that mean the writers will try hard to find the right balance or give up from the get go and just alternate who the episode belongs to.  I'm not even sure what the "right" answer should be.  The pilot's job is to introduce every character and set up the premise but it might not really serve as an example of how each episode will feel so even when the show finally starts, we won't really know. 

• Love 1

My hunch - and that's all it is - is that from week to week they will come up with situations that play to the strengths of different team members, with Rip being the catalyst / getaway driver.  Obviously I don't know about the new characters (or Sara), but the only one of the main cast (i.e., not Barry or Oliver) I do know who strikes me as being competent at strategic mission planning might be Cold... he set up some pretty intricate heists.  So from that perspective he could be directing the ops, but the lead member of the mission team could vary depending on the situation and skill set required.

Also, from the looks of their Instagrams, Caity and Ciara seem to be getting along famously at the CTV Upfronts in Toronto.

• Love 5

Whoops, right, I miscounted - six crossover episodes out of 23 for Flash. They all did well in ratings/total viewers/Twitter rankings, including the Quentin/Laurel crossover, so I expect Flash will have more of them next season, whatever Flash fans may have said online. 

I'm hearing conflicting things about the number of episodes - 13 or 15. It's not a full 23 episode order in any case.

I saw that dress in another pic and was wondering what the f a hole was doing in the middle of it. 

CL and CR looked like they were bonding at the CTV Upfronts. 

11379931_1632409373662597_1326640320_n.j

Hopefully their characters get to bond on the show as well. I need to see some female friendships on tv. I used to have PLL but that show got too annoying that it wasn't even worth for the girls. Now I only have Episodes and Agent Carter to see females being actual friends. 

• Love 2

Haha, you've dropped PLL too? I was out last season because it just got way too frustrating to watch, nothing ever happened. I too hope that Sara and Hawkgirl will be friends. I'm especially excited that both of them are capable action heroines, no more of that damsel in distress stuff I'm sick of in comic book adaptations (well, hopefully).

It's really appalling that among so many shows there are so little that emphasize female/female friendships while bromances are literally everywhere.

• Love 3

As for crossovers - I actually have a feeling that the only characters COMING from other shows TO LoT will be Oliver, Barry, whoever the designated floater is, and possibly Cisco/Vibe (but I feel he could be the floater).  And if the scenes they included in the video are going to make it into the show, it looks like they might use Barry even more than Oliver.  

I just don't think LoT is the kind of show that is going to need Caitlyn or Iris to pop over for any weird reason and I don't think they'll need Felicity, Laurel, or even Diggle for that matter.  This show is bigger and way grander than Flash or Arrow - it's about saving the world and saving time.  I think the only way we see any characters other than Oliver and Barry is if it's an alternative timeline episode and Cisco/Vibe will be able to tell us if that's the case.

I think crossovers are far more likely to go the other way - characters from LoT crossing over to Flash or Arrow.  We have 8 or 9 episodes of both shows and they have to set some things up.  It looks like Sara will be resurrected on Arrow and Hawkgirl might reveal herself on Flash.  It certainly seems as if they are going to change Firestorm up in some manner and that would have to take place on Flash.  And I can't imagine they won't bring Sara back without having her meet up with Laurel and Thea (and hopefully Nyssa) but again, I think that will take place on Arrow. Plus, I think on Arrow they need to resolve the issue of Ray and the company transferring to Felicity.  Finally, it looks like they need to introduce Jay on Flash since he has ties to Star Labs.  None of these things need entire episodes dedicated to them, but I have a feeling all of these actors will make at least a couple of appearances before the whole gang gets together for the premier of LoT.

• Love 1

I dropped PLL after 5A, the Christmas ep was my last one. I love that they have kept the 4 Liars friends this whole time but I just can't with a show where you can watch Season 1 skip to Season 5 and they are still doing the exact same things! I read what's going on now and A being some random person they just made up now. Nope. I pretend that show ended in S2. 

I do hope we see Kendra and Sara being friends, they are surrounded by dudes, they are going to need each other. I like that they are both warriors, Kendra's also supposed to be a Martial Artist and weapons expert like Sara. 

I hope they keep the Flash/Arrow guest stars to a minimum on LoT. I don't mind Barry or Oliver to help set the team up & because their skills may come into use to help the team. Maybe Cisco or Felicity for very specific skills required for certain episode. But other than that I want the LoT team to gel as a unit before we introduce a random assortment of guest stars to clutter the screen. I can understand the frustration of the Flash audience who had to have multiple crossover for little reason. Why did some of the people really need to xover other than BTS business reasons. Hopefully, LoT will be too busy saving the world to play hostess/host the guest people come over for their random reasons.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't mind crossovers on The Flash because TBH, the characters of that show aren't that good - I'm still way more interested and invested in the characters of Arrow, and I've dropped that show a year ago. But I think LOT will be much better than The Flash in that regard, so yeah, crossovers won't be needed as much. Although I do think that their unique plot device, time travel, could allow for some unexpected appearances from some of the Flarrow characters without it being a real crossover. I think it could be fun.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

Yeah the mustache is horrible. But I think he didn't have it in the trailer so he'll probably shave before the show starts filming.

I generally think very few men can pull off mustaches. 

I agree, Kendra and Sara need a workout machine like Oliver with his Salmon Ladder. I hope that all this press with CL and CR means we will actually see a friendship form between the two Lady Legends. 

I'm also glad Caity said it because seeing the Salmon Ladder does look scary. Not just the ability to do it, but the fact that you go to the top and just have to drop down. 

I'm also glad that cast all appear to be intelligent speakers and somewhat comfortable in interviews. It makes interviews more fun to watch. 

• Love 1

Well according to IMDB he is currently filming a TV movie.. so it's probably for that

Yeah, he's playing a sleazy '70 DJ in that, so that's probably what it is. Or was, the 'stache was gone as of Awesome con a couple of weeks ago.

Hmmmm. . .

https://twitter.com/LauInLA/status/608465636205932545

(This is supposed to have been said by Andrew Kriesberg at some panel or another) The interesting thing here isn't the bulldoodie about always planning to bring Sara back, it that they view CL as the "lead" of LOT.

Schadenfreude, people.

I find it difficult to believe that they always planned to bring back CL after they killed off Sara.  CL said at a recent comic con that she didn't know that she was coming back when they killed off Sara.  If the EPs knew then, they would've/should've told CL.  Otherwise, she would have been free to accept other roles, even a regular cast role in another TV series, thus making herself unavailable for the spinoff.  

• Love 1
(edited)
You weren't announced as part of the spinoff, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, but I saw an interview with Victor Garber that Ronnie will be around. Are there plans for you to hop in for the spinoff, possibly going back and forth between both shows?

Robbie Amell: All of those questions will be answered shortly, but I can't actually tell you anything about it. What I can tell you is I'm going back to shoot more episodes of The Flash in July.

I can't imagine you've gotten any scripts yet for The Flash, but is there anything that you personally want to see happen to Ronnie, or how you want to see Ronnie grow in this second season?

Robbie Amell: I haven't gotten any scripts yet, but it picks up immediately where the finale left off, because it was such a big cliffhanger, you have to. I don't know what I'd like to see. The nice thing about the finale was getting to actually play Ronnie. You saw Ronnie in my first episode, and then I was this schizophrenic, frightened man, and then I was trying to figure things out with my other half, and I finally got to kind of play Ronnie in the finale. I was enjoying that character. I'd like to play more with that, and the relationship with Danielle Panabaker's character Caitlin, but I always have so much fun shooting with Victor, so anything else Victor and I can shoot together would be great.

‘The DUFF’ Interview with Robbie Amell | EXCLUSIVE

BYBRIAN GALLAGHER | June 9th, 2015

http://movieweb.com/duff-movie-interview-robbie-amell/

Edited by tv echo