Type keyword(s) to search

Who that?: Empire Guest Stars

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

Cuba Gooding Jr.  did an excellent job but his guest appearance as Puma was oddly short.  He did a very convincing portrayal of being lovesick and hung up on Cookie even after all those years.  It was funny to watch Cookie realize this and think over whether it was a good idea to stay.  Of all the situations Cookie has been in, that is the one she thinks she needs to flee.

From what I've seen of Taraji and Courtney Love in the First Look, I'm looking forward to it.

We've also seen Judd Nelson and Gladys Knight.

• Love 2

This hasn't happened yet but Lee Daniels has been heavily courting Denzel to either guest star or join the show in some capacity.  Denzel has actually been meeting with Lee so it may be a possibility for either the season finale or next season.

Jennifer Hudson and Rita Ora are coming up.  I think they may be playing themselves on the show.

• Love 2

Patti Labelle is on the season finale. I've also heard Macy Gray will be on, which makes sense, since she has been in some of Lee Daniels' movies.

I am wondering, since the show has done so well, who will be clamoring to be on next season.

• Love 1

Macy Gray was touted as the older love interest for Hakeem, but we got Naomi Campbell in that roll instead. I was thinking that Naomi replaced Macy. But maybe Hakeem will have a bevy of cougars circling. lol

• Love 2

Timbaland's good friends with Timberlake, so maybe he can convince him to make a cameo.

And Lee Daniels is good friends with the one and only Oprah, so who knows?

I think the show has done a good show so far of maintaining the focus on the "true" cast while keeping the famous faces on the periphery.

Edited by Congo
  • Love 2

I'm not a fan of "guest star of the week."  It worked for a show like Love Boat, but for Empire I don't want the guest stars to take the focus away from the regular cast.  Also, I'm afraid that if they do that, it could get real old, real fast.  And I truly don't want to see J-Hud and Rita Ora.

• Love 2

I agree that the main cast should be the one to shine but I also think that the vast connections that the creators and cast has it sort of lends a great authenticity to the idea that Empire is in fact an Empire.  Your supposed to believe that this family is incredibly connected to music royalty/Hollywood/pop culture so it makes sense that famous guest stars would be on the periphery. 

• Love 5

I'm not a fan of "guest star of the week."  It worked for a show like Love Boat, but for Empire I don't want the guest stars to take the focus away from the regular cast.  Also, I'm afraid that if they do that, it could get real old, real fast.  And I truly don't want to see J-Hud and Rita Ora.

I don't like the guests of the week either, especially when it seems like they add nothing to the main stories.  I'd be fine with more recurring characters who offer something to the overall narrative.

• Love 1

I don't like the guests of the week either, especially when it seems like they add nothing to the main stories.  I'd be fine with more recurring characters who offer something to the overall narrative.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone so far that you think didn't add to the main story?  I've felt that they showed restraint and gave us important information with those who had dialogue. Puma's insight on Lucious and Cookie's relationship and Hakeem calling his lover "Mom" being the two examples.  I was actually surprised at how short Cuba's guest appearance was.  The others like Gladys Knight had context for their musical contribution and didn't feel like we were getting a song for the sake of the guest appearance.

Although I do share trepidation at the sheer volume of guest stars being announced.

• Love 1
Although I do share trepidation at the sheer volume of guest stars being announced.

That was really my point although I should have made it clear that I don't mind a guest star now and then, but not every week.  From the guest list so far, it looks like that's just what they're planning to do, week after week.   For example, I like Anthony Hamilton but I didn't see him as needing to be on the show.  

I am getting impatient with the "one and done" guest stars. If they're just there to perform, like Gladys Knight, that's one thing. But if they raise all kinds of interesting plot possibilities and we never see them again, I'm going to lose interest in the show. A few episodes back, Puma was introduced, but there hasn't been so much as a mention of him since. Is Courtney Love going to come back, or is her purpose finished? I'd love to know if she continues her comeback or succumbs to addicition. I don't care for the "Jamal's secret love child" plotline introduced at the very end of last night's show; I'd hate to have Raven-Symone's character being the one to play a pivotal role in subsequent episodes.

I'm not a fan of the "guest star of the week." it worked for a show like Love Boat, but for Empire I don't want the guest stars to take focus away from the regular cast. Also, I'm afraid that it they do that, it might get real old, real fast.

I respectfully disagree. For one thing, Empire is way better than Love Boat. I think a lot depends on the writing and the acting. As long as the scripts give the guest stars a good reason to be there and their acting manages to do the scripts justice, then I have no problem with it.

• Love 2

It makes sense to music stars on the show -- whether playing themselves or not. Ugly Betty was set in the fashion world, and they regularly (not every episode) had fashion (and other) stars as guests and cameos. It didn't take over the show. There was enough stuff going on with the regular characters.

• Love 1

Anyone recognize any of the people in the background at Jamal's recording session at the ghetto ass studio? There was two guys who looked like twins that seemed so familiar to me. And some of the others looked familiar too.

Guess what, Diddy? Your son is an adult, you can't "ban" him from anything.  All you've done is make him look week and yourself look stupid.  Hakeem is not a role model, dumbass, but you just guaranteed that everyone will look at Quincy as Diddy Jr.

I've never liked Courtney Love and I'll be glad when her story is done.

Lee Daniels confirmed that Oscar winner Common and Oprah will guest star next season. Hilarious that Queen O has her own black soap opera on her own network (The Haves and the Have Nots) that she won't guest star on but she'll do Empire.

• Love 2

Would it be to weird to have Jurnee Smollett as a guest star?

For some reason I assume that Jurnee will show up as Luscious's long lost daughter in the future.  With all the guest stars they like to incorporate, I can't believe Lee Daniels would miss the opportunity to have Jurnee and Jussie on screen together. 

If not siblings then make her Luscious's scheming, backstabbing niece. 

Would it be to weird to have Jurnee Smollett as a guest star?

I've been contemplating how this would work for the past week as well.  I LOVE HER and would like to see her in all the things.