Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Hollywood Week #1

• Start Topic

I really think producers should have allowed 2 hour episodes for Hollywood Week. It feels like they crammed a lot of singers into 1 hour and there were still so many others we didn't see. 1 hour is fine for auditions but Hollywood Week is one of the most, if not the most, anticipated rounds of the whole season and I think producers could put more time and focus on the remaining contestants at this point. I feel sorry for all those who made it that far that did not have their next performance shown, especially those who were cut like Terra Honda and David Oliver Willis. I saw Ellen Peterson on the stage and would have liked to hear her again, along with Maddie Walker.

The Good:

- Tyanna was phenomenal. I envision her going very far.

- Jax, while I don't like those quirky type voices, dammit she is making me like her! She had one of the top performances of the episode.

- I also enjoyed Garrett Miles, he has a great traditional country sound. 

- Shannon surprised me this episode. Her audition was really rough and even though she forgot her lyrics here and just stopped (which you should never do, no matter what happens), her voice really improved so much since her audition. She has a great tone, all she needs is a little experience and seasoning. And she needs to be taught how to handle things like forgetting lyrics onstage and not just freezing up when it happens.

- Adam Lasher once again nailed it.

- I actually am digging Joey Cook's voice. But I find her little gimmicks onstage with the clown outfit/hair and random instruments distracting. 

The Bad (or Meh):

- I didn't think Trevor did so well tonight. His audition was fantastic and that was a much harder song to sing. The a cappella intro of I See Fire was okay, but once he got to the chorus he was really going all over the place. 

- Not surprised Priscilla got cut. Her audition was nothing special and she was no different this time. Her damn accent was far too annoying and she had some pitch issues.

- I like Savion and am rooting for him but I wasn't massively impressed with this performance.

- Hollywood Anderson's attempt at recreating "Someone Like You" was just an abomination. Ironically it sounded a lot like his original song from his audition (which I was never too big a fan of in the first place). He completely changed the melody to the point it sounded like a completely different song.

- I like Adam (Chris Sligh look-alike) but that performance was rough. He was okay until he kept trying for those high notes. Yikes.

- Michael Simeon and Big Ron were nothing special. Big Ron over sang, as did Erica. Felt like Erica was screaming at me.

- I like Reno but this probably wasn't as good as his audition.

- Jaq McKenzie intrigues me. Her voice isn't the best but it's really different. She could make a good pop/rock album, like a teen Alanis or something. 

- Emily Brooke is good for her age but her voice still needs maturing, I think.

The Ugly:

- Feel sorry for Amber, the 15 year old who had a breakdown before the performance. No 15 year old should be pressured to feel like they are responsible for their family's well being. The whole thing was just hard to watch.

- Last girl who completely blanks on her words. Oy.

• Love 3

I really think producers should have allowed 2 hour episodes for Hollywood Week

That was a network decision.

Didn't really care for Jax.

I really liked Trevor Douglas (and he's funny and cool), Adam Egzelian (however it's spelled) and Adam Lasher.

I would have preferred a two-hour episode, to hear a bit more from people. As it is, there aren't many who really stand out to me to the point of knowing names or being particularly excited about them.

I liked the self-described nerdy teen whose back-up plan is to be like Bill Nye--he had good stage presence to match singing ability, so I look forward to seeing how he develops.

Edited by KR Vermont
  • Love 5

Adam Lasher was by far my favourite. I agree with Harry - he is superstar material. I also really like Garrett - he reminds me of Randy Travis. Hollywood was just hollywierd. I hope he takes advantage of getting another chance and doesn't blow it. I liked most of the first group from their auditions so glad they were all put through even if they didn't have in some cases as good of a second audition as their first.

• Love 1

I'm still not a fan of Joey Cook, but I will say that she was definitely served better by not using her "squeezebox". IMO, there is a harshness to her voice that was just amplified by the playing of her squeezebox that made it borderline unlistenable. Choosing Miranda Lambert's Kerosene also gets her some bonus points. Another auditioner who improved was Shannon...much more control and restraint, at least up to the point where she forget the lyrics.

Standouts of the night for me (for you) were Adam Lasher, I guess if you must put a 15 year old in the finals I think you could do a lot worse than Jaq. Nice choice w/ the Echosmith song too. I also liked that Jax gave us some grit in her lower register on her interpretation of Toxic...it's something she's going to need to have in her toolbox moving forward if she doesn't want every song to start sounding alike. Trevor needs to diversify beyond Ed Sheeran songs before I'm completely won over, but his personality is great and really shines above and beyond a lot of what we've seen so far.

Some of the 38 picked up front seemed extremely random.....the guy Harry told not to sing with a country accent? Sal the crooner? They used the word memorable so I guess they covered themselves. Still some odd choices.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

I knew "Frankie" Sal (loud/brash NYC dude always hitting on JLo) had a killer voice.  I don't know if he had a chance in heck of getting past this week, but with the right producer, he could make a living as a singer.  I did very much enjoy watching JLo freak out as she realized TPTB set her up to hear several dudes come on to her with their songs.  She was sooooo self-conscious!  

I really don't get why folks who choke still get through over so many who do a nice job.  I have never liked it and I never will.  How many countless times have we seen chosen ones flame out as the pressure of the grind gets to them once Ameriker votes?  If there are certain talents TPTB are heck-bent on propping up, why show us when they screw the pooch?  It just serves to frustrate and anger.

The other big takeaway for me tonight was how JLo was constantly looking to Harry for affirmation as she spoke a quick critique.  It was all kinds of awesome that he rarely responded.  The few criticisms I heard from Harry and Keith were absolutely dead on, too.      

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

Joey Cook needs a new lipstick color, stat. That shade really makes her teeth yellow, i found it very unpleasant. Also unpleasant - the guys hitting on JLo. Just skeevy. Like she's going to give "big sexy" her "digits"? And Sal's comment "She doesn't need to watch her figure, I've been watching it my whole life"?? This is an audition, not a bar, and the level of arrogance and to me sexism implied in those comments was distasteful.

Loved the Hawaiin guy's voice and Amber's, but yeah, way too much pressure on them as saviors of their families. Liked Jax and Jaq, although Jaq could border on the precious if she isn't careful. Adam E. has such a beautiful voice (despite the pitch problems); I wonder how they'll deal with his image. Looking forward to seeing him grow.

• Love 3

I'll preface my comments by saying that I almost never watch the auditions, so these people are all new to me:

- Michael Simeon and Big Ron were nothing special. Big Ron over sang, as did Erica. Felt like Erica was screaming at me.

People with 'big voices' who oversing and scream at me piss me off.  I hate that.  You can have a big voice and still use modulation; that's what makes the big notes effective, imo.  So Big Ron and Erica can go asap.  Same for the guy with the unrecognizable version of Someone Like You - you can't improve on Adele, and thinking that you can makes me hate you, so stop it right now.

I was surprised that I liked Jax, and Jaq as well.  I liked the traditional-style country guy, and I loved the guy who made the comment about hoping his guitar was in tune; I'd like to see him make it to the live rounds.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Adam Lasher once again nailed it.

He was really good, but I'm not sure I could take looking at him for weeks on end.  Which is not the point, and very shallow and all; hopefully, if he makes the live shows, I'll get over that because he has a great voice.

Jax is winning me over as well, although I too am not a fan of those quirky voices.  But at least her "quirk" seems to have some substance behind it. 

I agree that the hitting-on-J-Lo stuff was skeevy, and if they are going to cut these shows down to an hour, they need to concentrate on the singing and not waste time on this nonsense.  Especially when you take into account the never-ending commercials and promos for those two new shows they are trying to push, there's not much time left for the actual singers.

The guy who destroyed the Adele song was ridiculous.  His voice was loud and unpleasant, and I don't know what the heck he was singing, but it most certainly wasn't the "Someone LIke You" I know.

I can't stand Joey Cook.  She looks like she should be performing in a circus.

• Love 2

Adam Lasher once again nailed it.

He was really good, but I'm not sure I could take looking at him for weeks on end.  Which is not the point, and very shallow and all; hopefully, if he makes the live shows, I'll get over that because he has a great voice.

I'll happily look at him for you anytime.

I'll happily look at him for you anytime.

That's a deal.  :-)

I don't know what it is about him.  He's not unattractive.  Maybe it's just his style or something, idk.  But if he keeps singing like he did on last night's show, I promise to work on getting over it.  It'll help that I often watch performances on the live shows with my eyes close, the better to appreciate the sound of the performance.

What about the cute Asian guy with the weird complex that makes him paint half of his face?

I saw him for a round, but couldn't see if he got through......  I can wait until tomorrow to see I guess.

When Jaq was like "I'm the American Idol, because I am" and Keith was like "Best answer all day".  God, do I hate people that praise things for being mediocre.  How was that the best answer, my god.  Keith does not seem smart.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I'm okay with that answer because it is no more silly than those who go on and on about how they have something to SAY but what they really mean is they want to be famous.  Or the ones who want to be role models for their families but don't seem to want to try to get real jobs.  Or the ones who are completely consumed by music yet don't know any song that was released before 2009.

• Love 7

The other big takeaway for me tonight was how JLo was constantly looking to Harry for affirmation as she spoke a quick critique.  It was all kinds of awesome that he rarely responded.

I was thinking that it looked a lot of the time that JLo and Harry were having private time together through a lot of the day and ignoring Keith.

If that Shannon chick who forgot the words was not how high the moon, I will eat your hat.

Gabby Z at the end , who forgot the lyrics also, sounded good imo .... before she freaked.

Loved Adam Lasher.

Edited by ari333

So many of them sounded really good, I was beginning to wonder if they cleaned up the audio for the broadcast.  I got chills from several.  Maybe I'm just jonesing for some decent reality tv.  Project Runway All Stars isn't cutting it.  

Trevor Douglas is a favorite so far but yeah, sing something besides Ed Sheeran soon.  

My teen daughter likes Jaq whoever, the Santa Monica girl who "just is" the next idol.  

There was a cover article about JLo in People last week where she talks a lot about needing men in her life (in the past, of course).  She does seem needy, the way she's always asking Harry if he agrees with her opinions.