Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: The Troll Manifestation

Fan fiction is generally using the characters of a TV show, movie, novel, etc., and creating your own stories. Was Amy's story technically fan fiction? She created her own character -- Amelia (a Mary Sue, really) -- who interacted with "Cooper," also a new character, but in the "Little House on the Prairie" universe. (BTW -- did you know there is actual "Big Bang Theory" fan fiction?) 

While I could have predicted the other characters falling for the story, the continued attempt to sexualize Sheldon continues to creep me out.

I liked seeing Sheldon and Leonard work together, but I was sure the trolls were going to be Howard and Raj.

Fan fiction is generally using the characters of a TV show, movie, novel, etc., and creating your own stories. Was Amy's story technically fan fiction? She created her own character -- Amelia (a Mary Sue, really) -- who interacted with "Cooper," also a new character, but in the "Little House on the Prairie" universe. (BTW -- did you know there is actual "Big Bang Theory" fan fiction?) 

I know Star trek  fan fiction where the authors  create  their own ship and crew and just have it take place in the Star Trek Universe with the official cast just making cameos.

I guess if we assume she wrote LH fanfic before meeting Sheldon IRL, then it stands to reason she might've had reams of wish-fullfillment fanfic inserting "Amelia" into the existing characters' lives and world of the books. So then the whole storyline presented in this particular episode, while it veers straight into plain wish fullfillment, and we didn't see any of the other more standard characters in it, still could've been well planted in her version of that world. I guess. If I wanted to force it to make sense. And I can't decide if I do.

If that surprises you, you'd probably be horrified at what else is out there...Bible fiction, anyone?

And I thought I'd heard it all when it comes to fanfiction! Wow... I guess there's always something for everyone. LOL. is it written ironically, or all Mary-Sue like Amy's? 

• Love 1
...Bible fiction, anyone?

Wait, I thought the Bible already was fiction. :-)

I have no issue with fan fiction. Some of it is incredibly well-written (just as an increasing number of self-published novels are well-written and enjoyable), and I've visited fanfiction.net previously. (For a time, I was into "X-Files" slash, primarily Skinner/Krycek; that pairing just appealed to me.)

My "squicking" is Sheldon as a sexual being.

• Love 4

I have no issue with fan fiction. Some of it is incredibly well-written (just as an increasing number of self-published novels are well-written and enjoyable), and I've visited fanfiction.net previously. (For a time, I was into "X-Files" slash, primarily Skinner/Krycek; that pairing just appealed to me.)

I've often said that there is good fic to be found out there. You just have to dig through a lot of sludge to find the jewels buried underneath. I have favorite fanfiction authors for a few different fandoms, and to me their work is good enough to be a novel, published and sold in a bookshop. I wish some of them were!  :)

Haven't really checked out fanfic for Big Bang Theory, though. It's just not an arena I've been interested to read. I don't know why; maybe because it's a sitcom?

Edited by sinkwriter

For some reason I thought the drug Penny sells is birth control, but I can't find anything to corroborate that.

I totally thought that as well! I keep thinking it was something said in the episode where she was practicing her pitch on Emily.

[re: Bible fiction] And I thought I'd heard it all when it comes to fanfiction! Wow... I guess there's always something for everyone. LOL. is it written ironically, or all Mary-Sue like Amy's? 

I have not partaken; I have just heard about it from someone else.  Who was shuddering as she told me about it, so I had no desire to check it out!

Wait, I thought the Bible already was fiction. :-)

Hee!  Bazinga!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode because it showed the group doing things as friends. The writers have been coasting for a while on the friction created the interpersonal relationships within the group. This episode displayed that they are friends because they have things in common and can work together. There should be more storylines derived form their work and also from the things they have in common.

The girls were comedy gold as well. Their progession from embarassing events to deep interest in Amy's fanfiction flowed nicely. Excellent episode.

• Love 5

For some reason I thought the drug Penny sells is birth control, but I can't find anything to corroborate that.

Really?  That would completely change my view of her being able to be a "top saleswoman" if that is true. 

There are MANY contraceptives on the market, many generics available and that is a tough market I think to break into for a drug company, or a rep, for that reason.  Its very much a bunch of "me too" drugs with slight variations and I think most OBs probably have a few they stick with and not much else.  Unless she is selling an established, often used one that is still brand name only and already well known, which I can't see being the case for a rep with no experience at all, rather than a newer one, I can't buy her being successful there.

Plus Most OBs are women anymore, Penny is going to have more success IMO selling to male physicians.

My favourite episode for a while, too. Sheldon actually acted like a friend and fellow scientist. Didn't even mind Sheldon's "Being called an engineer!" as an insult, because while it is jerkish to say to Howard, it is true to Sheldon's character. Liked the girls' story too - it seemed relatively believable to me. Only Raj was really drew the short straw, with no good lines.

Granimal I thought that Penny "pitched" an erectile dysfunction drug during her practice run with Emily

Yeah, I thought Penny was selling NotViagara, too.

choclatine I loved Amy's fanfic. I was in stitches at "Will Monana become a state?"

Truly a question for the ages!

Edited by John Potts

Fan fiction is generally using the characters of a TV show, movie, novel, etc., and creating your own stories. Was Amy's story technically fan fiction? She created her own character -- Amelia (a Mary Sue, really) -- who interacted with "Cooper," also a new character, but in the "Little House on the Prairie" universe.

I know Star trek  fan fiction where the authors  create  their own ship and crew and just have it take place in the Star Trek Universe with the official cast just making cameos.

I had the same thought as SmithW. I get how the example that The Kings Foot gave still counts as fan fiction, but I think that's different. The Star Trek universe was created by someone, so writing a story set in that universe, even without any of the canon characters, would be ripping off the creators without giving them their due credit and categorizing your writing as fan fiction.

But LHotP takes place in a real historical setting. No one created it. So yeah, writing a story in a setting that no one invented, with no characters from LHotP doesn't really seem like fan fiction to me. But, I guess if LHotP inspired her, and Amy wanted other people to read it, posting her story in a LHotP fan fiction forum would make sense.

(BTW -- did you know there is actual "Big Bang Theory" fan fiction?) 

BTW, did you know there are actual Big Bang Theory fan fiction authors on this forum ;)

• Love 1