Type keyword(s) to search

Monk - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If Monk was so stingy with money in regards to paying Natalie and Sharona, where did he get $32K to be able to give it to Father Roberts of the Siblings of the Sun cult?

By being so stingy with Natalie and Sharona.

I don't remember that cult storyline, but in general: Monk didn't come across like someone who didn't have money in the bank, just as someone who didn't want to spend it on things other than that which he considered most important ... such as bottled water and cleaning supplies.  He tried to low ball Sharona and Natalie on their salaries and expenses because he didn't properly value their services, not because he couldn't afford to pay them more. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't remember that cult storyline, but in general: Monk didn't come across like someone who didn't have money in the bank, just as someone who didn't want to spend it on things other than that which he considered most important ... such as bottled water and cleaning supplies.  He tried to low ball Sharona and Natalie on their salaries and expenses because he didn't properly value their services, not because he couldn't afford to pay them more. 

It did always bug me that he low balled them so much. He needed them. He depended on Sharona and then Natalie. But wouldn't pay them what he should. They were single parents. They need and deserved decent and regular pay. Sharona was driving him around in a car that kept breaking down. He made her buy 3 lamps for him because even though he had money he didn't have any on him. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

It did always bug me that he low balled them so much. He needed them. He depended on Sharona and then Natalie. But wouldn't pay them what he should. They were single parents. They need and deserved decent and regular pay. Sharona was driving him around in a car that kept breaking down. He made her buy 3 lamps for him because even though he had money he didn't have any on him. 

I recently watched an episode where he knowingly gave Natalie a paycheck that he knew would bounce. So now poor Natalie has returned check fees on top of no paycheck. Then there was the episode where she had to beg him to pay her and convince him to give up paying rent on an empty and unused office that was Trudy's. That was in Mr. Monk vs the Cobra. Anyone other than these two ladies would have quit.

• Love 1

It's nice that he wasn't some saintly misunderstood soul; he had "a gift and a curse," and the show was predicated on exploring how that affected him, the main character, but the ways that negatively impacted those around him weren't brushed off.  And while fundamentally a good egg, he, like everyone, had negative characteristics, most notably selfishness.  I like that they included that and, even though he was the sympathetic protagonist, victims of his selfishness weren't always denied their due. 

I remember an episode where Sharona was afraid of something (it was at the circus, but I don't remember her fear - elephants? something kind of random rather than something many people are afraid of) and he told her to "suck it up".  This man who has a mile-long list of things the majority of the population handles but bring him to a halt told someone with a typical handful of such issues to "suck it up" when one became an issue during a case.  She was rightly appalled and hurt - and got revenge.  She kept doing things that she knew would trigger his issues, and when he freaked, just said "Suck it up" every time. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's nice that he wasn't some saintly misunderstood soul; he had "a gift and a curse," and the show was predicated on exploring how that affected him, the main character, but the ways that negatively impacted those around him weren't brushed off.  And while fundamentally a good egg, he, like everyone, had negative characteristics, most notably selfishness.  I like that they included that and, even though he was the sympathetic protagonist, victims of his selfishness weren't always denied their due. 

I remember an episode where Sharona was afraid of something (it was at the circus, but I don't remember her fear - elephants? something kind of random rather than something many people are afraid of) and he told her to "suck it up".  This man who has a mile-long list of things the majority of the population handles but bring him to a halt told someone with a typical handful of such issues to "suck it up" when one became an issue during a case.  She was rightly appalled and hurt - and got revenge.  She kept doing things that she knew would trigger his issues, and when he freaked, just said "Suck it up" every time. 

Your right it was elephants. And yes he did tell her to suck it up. Sharona was exactly right to be hurt and keep telling him to suck it up. He had hundreds probably thousands but wouldn't be understanding. I do like that he ended up trying to help Sharona get over her fear (to a point since he wouldn't actually pet the elephant). Its similar to Natalie when they were stuck on the road because of the accident that ended up being a murder. All she wanted was just a little sympathy because of her wrist. She wasn't asking for a lot. And at the end her telling him its never going to be a two way street with them. It never really was. Mostly Monk no matter how much he might like Sharona and Natalie still couldn't and wouldn't see past his himself.  

• Love 2

3.16 "Mr. Monk and the Kid" aired today. I understand why the show didn't want to add a kid permanently, but over the course of the episode we saw Monk making huge strides in adapting to having a small child, and IRL, the perfect couple would not have appeared to adopt a non-newborn child that quickly. And Monk was truly loving and patient with Tommy. I know the show always stretches reality, but darn it, Monk would have been a great father for Tommy.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

3.16 "Mr. Monk and the Kid" aired today. I understand why the show didn't want to add a kid permanently, but over the course of the episode we saw Monk making huge strides in adapting to having a small child, and IRL, the perfect couple would not have appeared to adopt a non-newborn child that quickly. And Monk was truly loving and patient with Tommy. I know the show always stretches reality, but darn it, Monk would have been a great father for Tommy.

He really would have. I love that episode because you see how Monk really comes to care for Tommy. But it always makes me cry when Monk realizes he doesn't want Tommy to end up like him. Which is why he gives him up. Which I completely understand but its so sad. But also I really think he could and would have done a good job. He knows he doesn't want Tommy to end up like but Monk also knows what its like to grow up in crappy home. He'd never let that happen to Tommy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/26/2019 at 4:59 AM, Bastet said:

This episode was on today. Not only did he tell Sharona to "suck it up," he also said that her fear was irrational - this is a man who is afraid of milk (how can you be afraid of milk?)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, christie said:

This episode was on today. Not only did he tell Sharona to "suck it up," he also said that her fear was irrational - this is a man who is afraid of milk (how can you be afraid of milk?)

I always wondered that, too, but he's afraid of germs and contamination, maybe he drank some contaminated or expired milk once?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I always wondered that, too, but he's afraid of germs and contamination, maybe he drank some contaminated or expired milk once?

The germs and contamination I can understand; a fear of milk though? I can't see Monk drinking expired milk - you know he would check the date. Where and how would he drink contaminated milk? Maybe he finds it icky to drink an animal body fluid. Maybe it's too white? Who knows? 🤷‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, christie said:

The germs and contamination I can understand; a fear of milk though? I can't see Monk drinking expired milk - you know he would check the date. Where and how would he drink contaminated milk? Maybe he finds it icky to drink an animal body fluid. Maybe it's too white? Who knows? 🤷‍♀️

This is the same man that conjured up a phobia of nudity and naked people because of repressed memories of his own birth, so who knows where the milk thing came from? I can't decide what I'm more interested in; his fear of mushrooms or fear of harmonicas. Or clouds. Or round things.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

This is the same man that conjured up a phobia of nudity and naked people because of repressed memories of his own birth, so who knows where the milk thing came from?

Oh. Right. Being breast fed. Maybe that moment when the boob momentarily cuts off air to the baby's nostrils and the baby jerks away, looking startled, with a little Monk look.
So we've solved the milk fear.
On to mushrooms.

• LOL 6

Even though I liked Karen mostly. I really hate the remark she makes to Randy that she's against guns and doesn't understand why Randy carries one and happy that her husband doesn't carry one. I mean what? How does she expect them to catch criminals? Especially the ones with guns? Just as them to surrender? Yell out their under arrest and they'll just comply? 

I think this one has been mentioned before but why does Wendy get to request a cell with a window? She hunted down and killed the man who killed her parents, and was the one fingered Willie Nelson. She said later she felt bad for that. But she was still the one who accused him. She said yes at the voice lineup, and even was asked whether or not it possible someone else was in the alley and she said no. Even if she was shocked that someone came out after she killed someone. She did nothing to set up a possibility of someone else.  

17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Even though I liked Karen mostly. I really hate the remark she makes to Randy that she's against guns and doesn't understand why Randy carries one and happy that her husband doesn't carry one. I mean what? How does she expect them to catch criminals? Especially the ones with guns? Just as them to surrender? Yell out their under arrest and they'll just comply? 

I presume the complete lack of having anything in common played part in the decision for Karen to divorce Stottlemeyer, but did she ever actually give Leland a reason that we know of? All I remember from that episode is her giving him the papers in his office and saying "If you have to ask me why, that's why." I imagine it has lots to do with him being a cop, which, she knew that when she married him.

• Love 2
On 11/30/2019 at 10:00 AM, khyber said:

Never watched this series the first time around. I am on season 2 and really enjoying it.

I found it midway during its original run, actually when Traylor Howard joined the cast, I think. I enjoyed catching up with the earlier seasons on Netflix.  (I miss the days when Netflix actually had shows I watched.)  

• Love 2
On 11/27/2019 at 9:48 PM, LexieLily said:

I presume the complete lack of having anything in common played part in the decision for Karen to divorce Stottlemeyer, but did she ever actually give Leland a reason that we know of? All I remember from that episode is her giving him the papers in his office and saying "If you have to ask me why, that's why." I imagine it has lots to do with him being a cop, which, she knew that when she married him.

No, she never did. All she said was that if you have to ask me why, that's why. That was it. I don't know if we were to assume why they divorced? Leland did have her followed in the episode due to the other cop and it turned out the man she was seeing was her divorce lawyer. True they didn't have anything in common. They separated twice in the series but did get back together. I don't remember if we learned why the separated the first time. The second was over her film documentary career that Leland wasn't supportive of and hadn't watched her last film. Although he seemed mostly annoyed by how much it cost to produce. But they did make up and he told her he loved the film and had been touched by the letter she wrote for the time capsule had been supportive her later documentary following him around. 

4 hours ago, tessaray said:

I found it midway during its original run, actually when Traylor Howard joined the cast, I think. I enjoyed catching up with the earlier seasons on Netflix.  (I miss the days when Netflix actually had shows I watched.)  

That's when I started watching too. My first episode was Natalie's first episode. I liked it and had liked Traylor Howard from Two Guys and a Girl.  Tony Shalhoub from Wings and the poor, poor man in Frasier's The Focus Group that Frasier won't leave alone until he finds out why the man didn't like his show and ends up destroying his newsstand. I ended up really liking Sharona too in the early seasons. It was a good show. I miss it. I miss when USA used to had good shows to watch. They used to have so many. Monk, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, Royal Pains, Common Law, Psych, White Collar and the first two seasons of Covert Affairs.

• Love 4

It was a Golden Age, for sure. 

5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

They used to have so many. Monk, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, Royal Pains, Common Law, Psych, White Collar and the first two seasons of Covert Affairs.

One of the OTA digital sub-channels runs Monk all day on Thursdays, I think. I've got a bunch sitting in my dvr. I wish they would program it once a day, I'd be more likely to tune in live.  I rewatched most of Psych that way a few years ago when ION played the same episode twice a day. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

No, she never did. All she said was that if you have to ask me why, that's why. That was it. I don't know if we were to assume why they divorced? Leland did have her followed in the episode due to the other cop and it turned out the man she was seeing was her divorce lawyer. True they didn't have anything in common. They separated twice in the series but did get back together. I don't remember if we learned why the separated the first time. The second was over her film documentary career that Leland wasn't supportive of and hadn't watched her last film. Although he seemed mostly annoyed by how much it cost to produce. But they did make up and he told her he loved the film and had been touched by the letter she wrote for the time capsule had been supportive her later documentary following him around. 

They separated twice? I did not know that. All I remember is the time that Karen kicked him out for - whatever, and he went to go live with Monk for a couple of weeks. I also didn't know that Leland was married once before Karen until a friend of mine that also watches Monk told me. That must have come up in an episode I haven't watched yet.

I'm midway through season 7 of my binge-watching. First time watching the series.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

They separated twice? I did not know that. All I remember is the time that Karen kicked him out for - whatever, and he went to go live with Monk for a couple of weeks. I also didn't know that Leland was married once before Karen until a friend of mine that also watches Monk told me. That must have come up in an episode I haven't watched yet.

I'm midway through season 7 of my binge-watching. First time watching the series.

It was in the very first episode when Monk first sees Leland he tells him he's sure he and Karen will work things out and tells him all the reasons how he knows Leland's not living with his wife. Missing a spot shaving, how his tie is tied and the Ramada cup. He suggests sending Karen flowers but we don't hear anything else about it except one mention in season two in Mr. Monk Goes to the Circus recommending a marriage counselor when he sees Sharona and Monk fighting (because Monk dismissed her fear of elephants and told her to suck it up) although he does say it didn't work for him and his wife. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

It was in the very first episode when Monk first sees Leland he tells him he's sure he and Karen will work things out and tells him all the reasons how he knows Leland's not living with his wife. Missing a spot shaving, how his tie is tied and the Ramada cup. He suggests sending Karen flowers but we don't hear anything else about it except one mention in season two in Mr. Monk Goes to the Circus recommending a marriage counselor when he sees Sharona and Monk fighting (because Monk dismissed her fear of elephants and told her to suck it up) although he does say it didn't work for him and his wife. 

I do remember that now that you mention it.

I recently watched Mr. Monk's 100th Case and Mr. Monk Gets Hypnotized. Loved them both and I love the show, but man. Between Randy's idiocy and Monk's constant idiosyncrasies, Leland deserves hazard pay and a vacation. LOL.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I also didn't know that Leland was married once before Karen until a friend of mine that also watches Monk told me. That must have come up in an episode I haven't watched yet.

I think I've seen all the episodes (and most of them more than once) and I didn't know that Leland had been married before Karen.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, christie said:

I think I've seen all the episodes (and most of them more than once) and I didn't know that Leland had been married before Karen.

From Leland Stottlemeyer wikipedia:

In the season 8 episode "Mr. Monk Is the Best Man," it is mentioned that Karen was Leland's second wife, and he was married once before, but that marriage was annulled after only five days.

I only vaguely remember this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mikita said:

In the season 8 episode "Mr. Monk Is the Best Man," it is mentioned that Karen was Leland's second wife, and he was married once before, but that marriage was annulled after only five days.

That makes it sound like a drunken-mistake wedding. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It was in the very first episode when Monk first sees Leland he tells him he's sure he and Karen will work things out and tells him all the reasons how he knows Leland's not living with his wife. Missing a spot shaving, how his tie is tied and the Ramada cup. He suggests sending Karen flowers but we don't hear anything else about it except one mention in season two

Cool. I appreciate realizing that Leland's eventual divorce was never a retcon --even though there were episodes in which Leland expressed seemingly undying love for her.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Mikita said:

Thanks. I had completely forgotten that.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, christie said:

Thanks. I had completely forgotten that.

It looks like we all did, so clearly it wasn't ever that important. Leland made it sound like he and Karen had married young (ish) so if he married Wife #1 before that....

• Love 3

7.4 "Mr. Monk Takes a Punch" is airing.
I'm on heavy duty pain meds but looked up to make sure I was still watching Monk when I heard "Quid pro quo" 3 times. Well, one was: "Quid what what what? - Pro quo!"

Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled programming, which, for me, today, is

• 7.5 Mr. Monk is Underwater 
  • 7.6. Mr. Monk Falls in Love
  • 7.7. Mr. Monk's 100th Case
  • 7.8. Mr. Monk Gets Hypnotized
  • 7.9. Mr. Monk and the Miracle
  • 7.10. Mr. Monk's Other Brother
  • 7.11. Mr. Monk on Wheels 

ETA: 7.5 "Mr. Monk is Underwater" is on now. 

I think a difference between the writing for Natalie and the writing for Sharona may be that Natalie doesn't fall for the killers like Sharona does. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:42 AM, shapeshifter said:

I think a difference between the writing for Natalie and the writing for Sharona may be that Natalie doesn't fall for the killers like Sharona does. 

That puts Natalie's love life a step above Sharona's but even she didn't date anyone decent.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

That puts Natalie's love life a step above Sharona's but even she didn't date anyone decent.

Didn't she end up with that sailor guy? The one that was Mitch's friend? Who brought them the submarine case? He seemed fine; I don't remember anyone else she dated. 

Edited by christie
6 hours ago, christie said:

Didn't she end up with that sailor guy? The one that was Mitch's friend? Who brought them the submarine case? He seemed fine; I don't remember anyone else she dated. 

Apparently she did, but I haven't seen the finale yet, so I have no idea how it happened. 

• Love 1

Here are my thoughts after watching the series finale for the first time.

• Leland did damn good for a fifty-five year old man chasing Joey K. through the train station and up and down all the trains/train tracks/gravel. Just like in part two where it was Monk's love for Trudy that propelled him to hold Rickover at gunpoint in the rain, when he (Monk) was dying, it was completely Leland's love for Monk that allowed him to run that far and that fast.
  • Monk breaking down while finally watching the Trudy videotape was heartbreaking. Great job by Shalhoub in that scene.
  • I loved the little Monk/Leland scene in Monk's hospital room when Monk made Leland promise to kill Rickover after he was gone, Leland promised, and Monk knew he was lying.

As for Stephen and him being supposedly Natalie's happy ending - I didn't see it as any serious relationship, at least not on Natalie's end. We have to assume that Stephen still works on the sub so he isn't on shore but for a few times every month or every few months, so they haven't *really* spent much time together. And in the time they have spent together onshore he hasn't shown interest in her child if this was the first time Julie/Stephen are meeting. I don't think Julie acted too impressed, considering she went out of her way to praise Monk, his love for Trudy and how he hadn't yet opened the gift, calling it "so romantic." Stephen, however, kind of acted like a creeper in that visit, tbh. This is your first time meeting your girlfriend's daughter and one of the first things you ask her is whether or not she's going to stay living at home when she goes to college? I also thought it was presumptuous of him to talk about living together at the grocery store, considering, again, he hadn't met her daughter yet. 

In regards to the entire idea of Molly, Monk's behavior was over-the-top, a little, but even Randy and Leland were giving him patient and indulgent smiles re: the pictures. How I interpreted it was that he was on such an emotional high of having a living, breathing part of Trudy here in front of him, and he was HAPPY, and he's had so little true joy in his life the last fourteen years that it all kind of - exploded onto Molly. If that makes sense. I don't know if we ever knew how much time passed between meeting Molly and the beach scene (Leland mentioned "you've only known her for three days" in the station/picture-sharing scene), but I assumed his unbridled, over-the-top, smothering joy would have naturally slowly tapered off in the coming weeks and months. I know Monk really said he wanted to go, but I doubt he would have made that trip to Canada.

And no matter how much Monk loved and idolized Trudy I don't know that he could keep up a permanent relationship with Molly without always having that wound of her biological father being the one that (ultimately) murdered Trudy.

• Love 2

You know Monk would be saying "I told you so" to everyone in sight, if he wasn't suffering from a complete nervous breakdown in his apartment. He'd be surrounded by hoarded cases of various disinfectants and, of course, toilet paper.

3sqosg.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

You know Monk would be saying "I told you so" to everyone in sight, if he wasn't suffering from a complete nervous breakdown in his apartment. He'd be surrounded by hoarded cases of various disinfectants and, of course, toilet paper.

3sqosg.jpg

heh, which is pretty much what all of us are now thinking who watched and identified with the character of Monk a little bit more than we would care to admit. 😉

• Love 6

Heh. Not sure how they could work remotely at a crime scene, but I'm sure Monk could find a way. He would probably demand that the captain video-call him and make Natalie pay for a a cell phone with video capabilities and be the one to work it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

To cheer us all up a bit...

I love that one! Its my favorite Here's what happened. I love Randy questioning why he didn't take the chair with him instead of you know everything else about that theory. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that one! Its my favorite Here's what happened. I love Randy questioning why he didn't take the chair with him instead of you know everything else about that theory. 

I love Leland reacting to how Randy is actually taking this theory seriously. I swear Stottlemeyer has to be the most patient captain on the force to deal with the both of them on a daily basis. No wonder he needs that anger-management yo-yo.

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Sundance airs a marathon of Monk on Tuesday's starting at 1:00 pm EST.

IMO, it is much more watchable that what is being shown on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  If Hallmark can't air series' as they originally aired without blanking out certain words, then they shouldn't air the series at all.  We are grown ass adults, not fragile individuals with sensitive ears.

I don't know why Monk is under comedies.  It isn't a comedy. 

"Mr. Monk and the Magician" is proof of that.

I just checked and I don't have that channel. What is the difference from Sundance Monk and HMM Monk, besides the bleeping of words? I do remember seeing an occasional bleep every so often, now that I think about it.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2020 at 7:26 AM, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why Monk is under comedies.  It isn't a comedy. 

"Mr. Monk and the Magician" is proof of that.

There are some darker episodes of Monk, for sure - Mr. Monk Goes to the Dentist is one I can name off the top of my head - but overall I think Monk is more comedic/light-hearted than straight procedurals like NCIS or Castle. What are Diagnosis Murder and Murder She Wrote (also older mystery series' that are now on HMM) categorized as?

• Love 3