Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Mochalotta Chills

I also heard "aborted".

I love the little moments of True Friendship that poke through the absurdity of this show, like Ilana's unrestrained joy at Abbi's momentary promotion, or Abbi offering to move the furniture out of her room for Ilana's future water birth. Perfection. Don't ever leave me, show.

• Love 2

The AV Club review spent a few paragraphs going over why Bevers is hard to take in large does, and I gotta agree, even if I mostly liked him in S1.  Too much here, and way too gross.  Trey, OTOH, what a magnificent douchebag.  "He's going to be my Garden State." Amazing.

I bet Melanie is super awesome and somehow just does not see how awful Bevers is.

Loved Ilana's plot, loved Chris Gethard and Nicole Drespel.

• Love 2

That was one of the weaker episodes for me. I like the show so much more when it's mostly Abbie and Ilana hanging out together. It's not even that I don't like the supporting characters (speaking of which, where the hell has hot neighbour Jeremy disappeared to?); I think when Ilana and Abbie are separated, it's harder for me not to recognize that Ilana often leaves a trial of destruction and is often a bit of a dick, while Abbie is sometimes a bit too put upon. 

Also: did I hallucinate this, or was each episode last season confined to a day? And if so, have they abandoned that conceit this season?

• Love 2

The AV Club review spent a few paragraphs going over why Bevers is hard to take in large does, and I gotta agree, even if I mostly liked him in S1.  Too much here, and way too gross.  Trey, OTOH, what a magnificent douchebag.  "He's going to be my Garden State." Amazing.

I bet Melanie is super awesome and somehow just does not see how awful Bevers is.

Loved Ilana's plot, loved Chris Gethard and Nicole Drespel.

Do we think Melanie even exists? Part of me thinks she broke up with Bevers months ago and Abbi has yet to find out.

• Love 1

Do we think Melanie even exists? Part of me thinks she broke up with Bevers months ago and Abbi has yet to find out.

I think it'd be too silly for Melanie to not exist; Abbi would have to be quite disturbingly mentally ill to hallucinate an excuse for why Bevers is there all the time.  (I guess, sketching it out briefly, she and Bevers have been roommates for forever and as he's gradually devolved, she eventually had a mental breakdown and created the Melanie delusion to explain why he's in "her" apartment.)

But if she's real yet broke up with Bevers, presumably she's in the apartment enough to notice him there.

BTW, it sure seems like Bevers has a crush on Abbi, right?  He goes out for brunch with friends when Abbi's not at the apartment, he didn't leave NY when the hurricane/storm approached, and he signed up at Soulstice.

I also heard "aborted".

It was (I tend to watch with the closed captioning on, and that's what it said).

To be fair, Melanie doesn't seem to be around enough to notice if Bevers is awesome or not. I kind of hope that she will be like Tino on MSCL who we will never see.

I'm kinda thinking it's gonna be like that.

Trey, sniffing: "Yeah, that's a woman's fart."  Heh, heh.

Also got a chuckle out of Ilana using Bevers's reaching tool as a roach holder. Nice callback.  

And Abbi dancing naked to Lady Gaga?  Updated Tom Cruise dancing in his underwear to Bob Seger?  Gold, Jerry, gold!

To be fair, Melanie doesn't seem to be around enough to notice if Bevers is awesome or not. I kind of hope that she will be like Tino on MSCL who we will never see.

Last season, there was a picture of Melanie with Bevers in her bedroom, so she exists, but I think they should keep the joke of her never appearing. I don't think she moved out because how would Abbi pay the rent? It makes more sense and it's a better joke that she's always 'just missed.' Otherwise it makes Abbi look too much of a sad sack.

Shallow: Abbi is *fit*. She looked great dancing around. 

I agree that separating the two isn't the best idea. They're clearly the strength of the show. The funniest moment was Ilana pulling the popcorn container gag. 

Two words: Tino.

I think when Ilana and Abbie are separated, it's harder for me not to recognize that Ilana often leaves a trial of destruction and is often a bit of a dick, while Abbie is sometimes a bit too put upon. 

IA and I think that's why the story didn't work, besides Bevers being there.  Abbi and Ilana tend to bring out the best in each other, because they're too extreme on their own.  I hated Ilana dragging those poor saps into her scheme of perpetual laziness, and seeing Abbi get walked on by Trey and Bevers (although I do like Trey) wasn't that funny.

Co-sign on too much Bevers.  He's essentially harmless, but so damn annoying.  I have a feeling that when Abbi finally boots his ass out of her apartment, he'll break down and confess that he's in love with her.  Or something equally annoying.

I think it'd be too silly for Melanie to not exist; Abbi would have to be quite disturbingly mentally ill to hallucinate an excuse for why Bevers is there all the time.  (I guess, sketching it out briefly, she and Bevers have been roommates for forever and as he's gradually devolved, she eventually had a mental breakdown and created the Melanie delusion to explain why he's in "her" apartment.)

Ilana seems OK with the official Bevers explanation, and I would think she would know. 

Melanie could have broken up with Bevers and moved out herself because it would be easier to find a new place to live than deal with the hassle of getting him out of there.

Somebody must be paying Melanie's share of the rent. It could be Bevers on the sly, I suppose, but he is neither sly nor fiscally sound, so I doubt it.

IA and I think that's why the story didn't work, besides Bevers being there.  Abbi and Ilana tend to bring out the best in each other, because they're too extreme on their own.  I hated Ilana dragging those poor saps into her scheme of perpetual laziness, and seeing Abbi get walked on by Trey and Bevers (although I do like Trey) wasn't that funny.

Co-sign on too much Bevers.  He's essentially harmless, but so damn annoying.  I have a feeling that when Abbi finally boots his ass out of her apartment, he'll break down and confess that he's in love with her.  Or something equally annoying.

I'm just really sick of the "pathetic schlub-bro" character. We had three versions of that in three failed sitcoms this year, and Gemberling was one of them (in Marry Me). And they all got way too much screen time, so having a "Bevers episode" here too was kind of annoying. My favorite part of that whole subplot was Abby's Naked Dance of Freedom, because it was funny, emotionally resonant, and Bevers wasn't there.

In some ways, Bevers, as exaggerated as he is, is the most realistic take on that type. Certainly, the "awesome room-mate's horrible boyfriend is a legitimate way a roommate relationship can go sour, so it's fair game for comedy, but small doses only please.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

But if she's real yet broke up with Bevers, presumably she's in the apartment enough to notice him there.

BTW, it sure seems like Bevers has a crush on Abbi, right?  He goes out for brunch with friends when Abbi's not at the apartment, he didn't leave NY when the hurricane/storm approached, and he signed up at Soulstice.

I didn't mean "not exist," as in Abbi hallucinated her, but more like she moved out/broke up with Bevers and neglected to tell Abbi. I just like crafting elaborate conspiracy theories about Broad City.

• Love 1

Two words: Tino.

Heather Sinclair (Degrassi).  

Or Carlton the doorman (Rhoda).  

Anyone else remember Rhoda?  No?  Only me?  Okay, gotta go; it's pudding day here at Dignity Towers Retirement Home and I don't want to miss out...

OT: I remember when I heard Carlton the doorman's voice coming out of Garfield the cat on Saturday morning cartoons. My mind was BLOWN.

And the running joke of Heather Sinclair.

And Mavis? On Frasier? Did they ever show her?

I hope we never see Melanie.

You're right; I forgot about about Niles' never-seen wife.  Good one.  

My favorite part of that whole subplot was Abby's Naked Dance of Freedom

That was awesome. Who hasn't felt like that when your roommate/partner/significant other, even if they're perfectly nice and normal, goes out and you have the place to yourself for a precious hour or two? Edge of glory, indeed.

Edited by purist