Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Lord, they butchered The Bridge to make it a 2 part movie. They dropped in pieces of the book where they felt like but left out alot of good stuff.

Was Part 2 good in any way?  I still haven't seen it -- the timing has not been convenient -- so I think I have one final chance to catch it tomorrow night, and if that doesn't work I guess I will have to wait until it is either shown again in July or during the holiday season. 

When I saw Part 1 in December I thought it was pretty decent (I say that as someone who has not read the book, so I have no idea what was left out).  I was kind of more interested in the actual Bridge shop/café/watering hole and its customers than I was in the 2 people at the center of the movie!

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Hallmark's latest upfront event was yesterday, and I had been waiting for morsels of into.  I think the next upfront might be in July-ish or so.  Highlights from this article -- http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/272491/hallmark-upfront-emphasizes-family-friendly-progra.html -- include:

• Fall Harvest is still happening -- and it seems like it is including September this time, too, which was not the case last year.

• Something new called "Summer Nights" is being added in as well -- which is good, as I thought that there would be way too long of a gap between June Weddings and the Countdown to Christmas if they had removed Fall Harvest and didn't have any kind of Summer movie event.

• There are 18 new movies in the Countdown to Christmas (I would not be shocked if they add in another one or two).

• Christmas in July is not mentioned, but I would imagine it is still happening over the first 2 weeks in July.

• June Weddings is not mentioned either, but we know it's happening.

Thanks for the recap.

I'm excited to have a new movie this Saturday.  It was called "The Manny" but now it's called something generic that I forgot even though I just looked at the title thirty seconds ago.  But I'm ready for it now that Black Sails has wrapped and I have nothing to watch on Saturdays.

I saved The Bridge to watch with The Bridge 2.  And I think I had similar feelings as Sherry.  The first one was decent. I preferred the stories about the bookstore owners but overall the casting was good even if I didn't feel invested in the main couple.  It's the kind of movie that maybe I would care about a second part had I seen Parts 1 and 2 further apart than I did.  What I found in reality is that while I felt the first part it was decent, it wasn't decent enough to make me care about the second part.  I ended up fast forwarding through the second part to sort of get the gist of what was happening and see the resolution.

• Love 1

Thanks for the recap.

I'm excited to have a new movie this Saturday.  It was called "The Manny" but now it's called something generic that I forgot even though I just looked at the title thirty seconds ago.  But I'm ready for it now that Black Sails has wrapped and I have nothing to watch on Saturdays.

I saved The Bridge to watch with The Bridge 2.  And I think I had similar feelings as Sherry.  The first one was decent. I preferred the stories about the bookstore owners but overall the casting was good even if I didn't feel invested in the main couple.  It's the kind of movie that maybe I would care about a second part had I seen Parts 1 and 2 further apart than I did.  What I found in reality is that while I felt the first part it was decent, it wasn't decent enough to make me care about the second part.  I ended up fast forwarding through the second part to sort of get the gist of what was happening and see the resolution.

I completely agree -- and it's funny you mentioned this because I was just trying to watch Part 2 early this morning.  It's not that it was bad, or that there was anything wrong with it.  I just ended up FF'ing through it once I got about halfway into it.  I think I just didn't really need a Part 2.  Part 1 was enough, and also the fact that it is not Christmastime right now lent itself to my not being in a mood to see a movie with anything Christmasy in it.  But I do think that Faith Ford and Ted McGinley were good.  I liked all of the bookstore/café customers.  The two leads -- Molly and Ryan -- were likeable, and very cute.

I thought of you when The Manny was changed to the terribly generic All Yours!  Lol.  Could there be a more generic title?  And then we have Hearts of Spring and Love by Chance coming up too -- also terribly generic.  The Jack Wagner-Josie Bissett June Weddings movie is The Wedding March.  Still pretty generic (although I am looking forward to that one because I think Josie and Jack might be good together).

Anyway, since the Hallmark upfront yesterday, more news is beginning to trickle out since what I posted earlier this morning:

• A new movie called The Promposal will premiere in May (that is a title that is sure to change).  It stars Hallmark hottie Andrew Walker and Shenae Grimes-Beech, who starred in Christmas Incorporated and will star in the upcoming White Hot.  Bailee Madison is also in it.  Here is an Instagram link -- https://www.instagram.com/p/BDogIxVR7Q8/?taken-by=hallmarkchannel.  I'm not sure if I think that Andrew and Shenae will have chemistry.

• The Hallmark Channel Countdown to Christmas Facebook page updated their cover photo to say that the Countdown to Christmas begins in 8 months.  I don't know what that means -- late November?  Early November?  I have no clue.  Did they mean 7 months?
  • Love 1

They should have shown Part I in Nov. and then Part II in Dec. That probably would have cut down on the outrage when the notice came out that Part II was originally going to be shown during Dec of '16. The difference between Hallmark responding to The Bridge movies issue and the cancellation of Cedar Cove is that It was easier for them to air Part II of The Bridge because it was already in the can. In contrast to Cedar Cove having already taped the last episode of the series with no plans for any future ones so sets were probably destroyed or put in storage and a TV show lasts a whole season and apparently the ratings weren't up to what Hallmark wanted.

• Love 1

All You'rs was produced by Storybox Entertainment which still has the movie listed on their site as The Manny. They also have a few of heir movies listed with two titles

http://www.storybox-ent.com/themanny

Also browsing IMDb I saw Hallmark is listed as the distributor for a movie in development under the title The Halloween Moon. It's described as:

A romantic dramady about a woman who makes a wish for her deceased fiance to return and it comes true

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw the preview to All Yours while watching the Bridge today and started laughing when I was thinking about the conversations on here about the previous title. It doesn't look very good but sadly I will probably try to watch it.

The Bridge was pretty good, and I would have been mad too if I thought I would have to wait a year to see the conclusion. I'm ffing some of the second part to get to the good stuff. I thought Faith Ford's character was going to die during the flood so I got worried, then there had to be an accident. Sigh.

I'm still wrapping my head around the lead being the same person that was so annoying on How To Get Away With Murder.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
(edited)

All You'rs was produced by Storybox Entertainment which still has the movie listed on their site as The Manny. They also have a few of heir movies listed with two titles

http://www.storybox-ent.com/themanny

Also browsing IMDb I saw Hallmark is listed as the distributor for a movie in development under the title The Halloween Moon. It's described as:

A romantic dramady about a woman who makes a wish for her deceased fiance to return and it comes true

This is a great find!  The Halloween Moon is something totally new that no one had discovered or reported on until now.  It sounds like that's going to end up in the Fall Harvest event.

Edited by Sherry67

This is a great find!  The Halloween Moon is something totally new that no one had discovered or reported on until now.  It sounds like that's going to end up in the Fall Harvest event.

Right now the status is listed as script so there's nothing to  report on until it actually goes into production.

I'm still wrapping my head around the lead being the same person that was so annoying on How To Get Away With Murder.

Sounds that's where I knew her from. I thought she looked familiar but I wasn't sure and didn't care enough to look it up.

But to be fair to her, at least half the cast/characters were annoying on that show when I watched.

I much preferred Part 1 of the Bridge to Part 2. With the young couple's storyline, the overly forced drama came at the end of the first movie, but it otherwise wasn't present. It was non-stop in the second movie with them never being honest about anything and the Dad continuing his devious/overbearing ways. It was just too much.

• Love 3

I much preferred Part 1 of the Bridge to Part 2. With the young couple's storyline, the overly forced drama came at the end of the first movie, but it otherwise wasn't present. It was non-stop in the second movie with them never being honest about anything and the Dad continuing his devious/overbearing ways. It was just too much.

Completely agree. Plus there were small stories in the first one about the nursing student trying to move on, and the guy trying to open his own restaurant. In the second movie they were in it but not as much, plus the ridiculousness of the leads dancing around the truth when they were obviously still into each other.

I did think that the lead actor was super hot in the second one. He was cute in the first, but he looked different in the second one and I couldn't stop staring at him.

• Love 2

I zoned out because in the book the lead stood up to her father much sooner and gained her independence so there was non of that prolonged drama back and forth with him.

Completely agree. Plus there were small stories in the first one about the nursing student trying to move on, and the guy trying to open his own restaurant. In the second movie they were in it but not as much, plus the ridiculousness of the leads dancing around the truth when they were obviously still into each other.

I did think that the lead actor was super hot in the second one. He was cute in the first, but he looked different in the second one and I couldn't stop staring at him.

I had no idea that the hot guy (and you're absolutely right -- he was always cute, but suddenly looked hotter in Part 2) had been a contestant on Survivor.  I stopped watching Survivor a long, long time ago -- I can't even remember the last season I saw -- and he was not a contestant in any season that I watched.

I have no interest in tonight's movie but Nicollette Sheridan is old enough to be a grandmother. Its a little weird they cast her in a movie where she's playing mom to two young kids. Brenda Strong is only a few years older and she's playing mom to a grown woman in her movie.

(edited)

Oh so they got rights to use the song "I'm Yours" which explains why they changed the title of the movie.  I don't care. I'm going to call it "The Manny" because it better represents the movie.  I was so happy to have fluffy movies back that I think I liked it.  Although I did think the fight about the bet was a little silly.  As was the weird gala that took place in the afternoon before a talent contest.

Brenda Strong is only a few years older and she's playing mom to a grown woman in her movie.

And I think Brenda looks so good that I think I'm kind of rooting for her to get together with the guy she's trying to set her daughter up with. 

Edited by Irlandesa

I am recording All Yours right now (so I can skip the commercials).  I, too, am happy for the return of fluffy movies! 

I liked Nicollette's previous Hallmark movie, Honeymoon for One (that's the one where she ends up in Ireland), and her Christmas movie, The Christmas Spirit, wasn't too bad (though not really a favorite).  She seems to avoid doing a lot of Hallmark movies, but I'm sure they would have her do more of them if she were willing.  She is not as prolific as some of the other names we know we will see at least once a year (Lacey, Candace, Alicia, Autumn, Teri), but just kind of pops up every once in a great while. 

Was thinking the same with your top comment.

And regarding the actor, I think he had more stubble in the 2nd - I guess to look older.

I liked Nicollette's previous Hallmark movie, Honeymoon for One (that's the one where she ends up in Ireland),

Oh that was on recently wasn't it?  I was going to record it because I miss when Hallmark used to go abroad to film some of these movies.  Although the Canadian scenery has been beautiful too. 

• Love 3

And I think Brenda looks so good that I think I'm kind of rooting for her to get together with the guy she's trying to set her daughter up with. 

That's what I was thinking when I saw the commercial.  I'm also hoping she ends up with the guy she's trying to set up with her daughter.  That would be a fun twist.

• Love 1

The movie tonight was so boring. And so much ridiculousness.  They were bonding over every little thing and she doesn't mention she has a blog until after he finds out?  Even though she's willing to tell pretty much anyone prior to that. And that 'international mommy bloggers' convention at a half-filled church?  And that single mother who apparently has enough money to drag her awful child to the doctor's office?  blah.

And I know I like my idea for next week's movie better than what we're going to get.

• Love 2

Okay, I'm watching the mommy blogger movie right now. Michael Shanks gets an automatic pass from me because I love him. But a couple of things stick out to me:

#1, Lisa Whelchel definitely looks older than MS, who I think is kind of genetically blessed aging-wise (although he definitely has aged since he played Dr. Daniel Jackson). I looked it up and she's seven years older than him, which is much less of an age difference than there is between her and Antonio Cupo (15 years). The age difference doesn't bother me, just commenting on it. 

And #2, am I the only one that thinks that neither of their kids look young enough to be high school seniors? I didn't check the actors' ages, but those two look to me like they're in their early 20s. It takes me right out of the movie when they're on screen.

All in all, it's an inoffensive, forgettable movie so far that I don't feel badly not paying tons of attention to while I'm on the computer. Except when Michael Shanks is on the screen. Use him better next time, Hallmark!

Edited by kirinan

While not being one of my all-time favorite Hallmark efforts, Hearts of Spring also wasn't one of my least favorite installments in the pantheon of Hallmark movies.  It was pretty much what I expected.  I thought it was okay -- even funny in certain parts.  The mom and obnoxious little son were hilarious (we all know there are kids like that out there in the world!).  The goofy guy trying to win over Carly (Lisa Whelchel) was a hoot.

I like Michael Shanks, and I thought he and Lisa made a decent pairing (I think I liked them a bit better together than the Nicollette Sheridan-Dan Payne pairing in All Yours).  The romance was sweet.  Now, to put it in perspective, I don't think they were anywhere near as strong of a Hallmark duo as, say, Alison Sweeney and Jonathan Scarfe, or Brennan Elliott and Lacey Chabert, or Autumn Reeser and Antonio Cupo, but they were cute.

I liked the young guy who played the teenage son.  Lisa Whelchel's daughter is very pretty -- I can see a resemblance at certain times; other times I don't see much of a resemblance.

I don't know if I would actively seek out a DVD for this movie, or make a point of watching it whenever it aired on the Hallmark Channel, but it was a pleasant diversion for a couple of hours -- and it filled the need for a light, frothy spring-y movie.

Edited by Sherry67

Only one more Spring Fling movie to go -- Love by Chance -- but that one is the one with Brenda Strong in it, and she's good. So hopefully the movie as a whole will be decent.

Good Witch, Season 2, begins on Sunday.

On the Movies & Mysteries Channel on Sunday is White Hot, with Shenae Grimes-Beech, Sean Faris and John Schneider.

Other than that, unless Hallmark whips out a surprise movie somewhere along the line, I think the next new one in line to premiere on the Hallmark Channel is The Promposal (with Shenae Grimes-Beech again -- because she appears to be the new Hallmark "It" girl,  Andrew Walker and Bailee Madison).  That was supposed to be ready to go for a May premiere, but we shall see if it makes it.  

On Movies & Mysteries they will premiere A Time to Dance (with Jennie Garth and the guy who played the manny in All Yours) in May.

Then we've got June Weddings, which should involve at least 3 new movies (definitely The Wedding March and possibly Stop the Wedding and The Convenient Groom), and Christmas in July (a.k.a. Keepsake Ornament Premiere), which will probably yield one new movie.  At some point there will be the new "Summer Nights" movie event, but I wonder if that is going to start in July, right after the Christmas movies, or in August.

I do hope that we haven't seen the last of Jonathan Scarfe and Paul Greene for the year.  They each appeared in Countdown to Valentine's Day movies, but Jonathan should go back to being the one who gets the girl instead of the one who gets dumped.

There are quite a few definite Hallmark movies currently in the works, and quite a few probable (but not yet confirmed) Hallmark movies in the works.  Net at It's a Wonderful Movie has all of this information, with the appropriate sources, links and more, but she is waiting to post blogs about it until she finds out whatever she needs to find out.   The only thing she posted from all of the info I gave her so far was the blog about The Convenient Groom being made into a Hallmark movie.   I will share just a portion of the other tidbits here, some of which I found and some of which were found by others:

1.   There is one movie I thought was for sure going to be a Hallmark movie, but it is supposedly intended for Lifetime (although that can change, as was the case with the Alicia Witt Christmas movie last year -- when it was being filmed the cast and extras thought it was going to Lifetime, but it ended up on Hallmark).  The working title is Same Time Next Week, and it stars Jewel Staite (of Call Me. Mrs. Miracle and The Christmas Ornament) and Travis Milne (of Lifetime's A Gift-Wrapped Christmas).

2.  Ms. Matched (which is one of Storybox Entertainment's productions) is a Hallmark movie, about a wedding planner and financial advisor who clash and then get together.  The stars seem to be: Alexa PenaVega (Nashville) and David Lloydy (The World in Hand), from what I can tell.

3.  Hallmark favorites Danica McKellar (Perfect Match; Crown for Christmas); Kavan Smith (Hello, It's Me; When Calls the Heart); the impossibly handsome Christopher Russell (Midnight Masquerade; Merry Matrimony; Love, Again); and Tammy Gillis (Unleashing Mr. Darcy; Signed, Sealed & Delivered movies; A Novel Romance) are currently filming a movie together in Vancouver.  This one has not yet been confirmed as a Hallmark movie, but... what are the odds that it's not a Hallmark movie?   (Credit goes to Nicole in the Hallmark group to which I belong on Facebook, for digging up the info and photos.)

4.  A Hallmark movie with the working title Tulips for Spring (also known as Tulips for Rose) is being filmed right now.  It appears that it stars: Lucas Bryant; Fiona Gubelmann; Kelly Rowan; and Giles Panton, from what I can tell.   I just now saw a May 14th date mentioned as to when it is supposed to premiere, but we all know that dates can change in Hallmark Land.  (Net at It's a Wonderful movie retweeted a couple of set photos with cast members, and I found the rest of the info.)

5.  One or two new Signed, Sealed & Delivered movies are also being filmed, or about to start filming.

6.  A Hallmark movie called The Last Christmas (with Marci T. House) is being filmed now too. (Info came from Net at It's a Wonderful Movie.)

7.  A Snow-Capped Christmas is a Hallmark movie that has already finished shooting (it features Leah Renee, who was in Love by the Book a.k.a. Mr. Fiction).  (Info came from Net at It's a Wonderful Movie.)

There are other titles and likely Hallmark projects too, but details are still coming in so I won't list them. 

Is Ms. Matched going to be Hallmark's answer to the lack of diversity in their movies?  Unless there is another actor that hasn't been named who is going to be the leading man, it appears that this could be the first time a gentleman of color has a leading role in a Hallmark romantic comedy.  Let's hope so!  Let's hope no other actors suddenly pop up out of the woodwork and step into the leading role.  I am excited to see the movie if the cast stays as is!  Alexa PenaVega was very likable and charming when she was on Dancing with the Stars last year, and I think she'll be a good leading lady.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Several movies are filming in Vancouver this month. The Convenient Groom will be filming starting on April 18 through May 4. Stop the Wedding is already being filmed and is scheduled to wrap production in Vancouver on April 20th. Ms. Matched wraps on the 29th. Signed, Sealed Delivered movies 5 and 6 will film from the 21st through May 30th.  And Wedding Bells will be wrapping production on April 25. 

• Love 2

Yep.  I saw all of that info, and Net has all of it.   I just didn't post all of it here today, but there's a lot of info out there in Hallmark Land!

Edited by Sherry67

I just want descriptions because I don't know that any of the casts scream "immediate faves" for me. 

I'm curious about the movie on Sunday night to see how willing they are to get steamy. I think reaction to it will be really interesting.  Book fans might be upset if it's watered down.  Hallmark fans might get upset if it's not "family friendly." 

• Love 1

I just want descriptions because I don't know that any of the casts scream "immediate faves" for me. 

I'm curious about the movie on Sunday night to see how willing they are to get steamy. I think reaction to it will be really interesting.  Book fans might be upset if it's watered down.  Hallmark fans might get upset if it's not "family friendly." 

Ms. Matched -- the one with Alexa PenaVega and David Lloydy -- has this synopsis:

Ms Matched is a romantic comedy from Hallmark about an unlikely couple who meet while attending a Wedding Expo. One is a popular Wedding Planner who likes to throw extravagant events, the other is a Financial Advisor who helps couples save money while planning their wedding. Despite their ironic differences, the two discover that they’re a perfect match.

Source:  http://www.whatsfilming.ca/2016/04/11/race-through-new-york-starring-jimmy-fallon-starts-filming-in-Vancouver/

There is a synopsis of The Convenient Groom here -- http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-convenient-groom-by-denise-hunter-hallmark-movie.html

There's a bit of info about Stop the Wedding here -- http://itsawonderfulmovie.blogspot.com/2016/04/bestselling-book-stop-wedding-to-become-hallmark-movie.html

There are other synopses that I saw somewhere, and am too lazy to go and find them in my Favorites/Bookmarks at the moment!  Lol.

Also, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is advertising that there will be a new mystery movie every Sunday in June -- https://www.facebook.com/hallmarkmoviesandmysteries/photos/a.435481080873.225548.162339890873/10154020608165874/?type=3&theater

I, too, wonder about White Hot.  It will be sanitized, but I wonder how sanitized.   I did not like Christmas Incorporated much at all, for some reason, and Shenae Grimes-Beech was the leading lady in that.  I don't know how I feel about her at the helm of 2 new movies -- White Hot and The Promposal, paired up with Sean Faris and Andrew Walker, respectively, I think.  Hallmark seems to have latched on to her, so we will probably see more of her before the year is over.

• Love 1

Damn it, why are all the good movies on the channel that I don't have? I dislike Shenae's acting but love Sean Farris so hope for your guys sake that the movie is good.

Some of the upcoming movies have promise. Maybe Rupert Penry Jones can be in another Christmas movie this year!

• Love 2

One of the movies I mentioned last night now has an official preview/promo video on the Hallmark Channel website.  It is now called Tulips in Spring, but it was previously Tulips for Rose and Tulips for Spring.  This is the one that stars Lucas Bryant, Fiona Gubelmann, Kelly Rowan and Giles Panton, and it debuts on the Hallmark Channel on May 14th.  Here is the preview video -

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/videos/preview-tulips-in-spring

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I dislike Shenae's acting but love Sean Farris so hope for your guys sake that the movie is good.

I have never liked Shenae's acting from Degrassi to 90210 to these movies. I feel like I am watching a person attempt to act, but not actually acting. If that makes any sense at all. I enjoy her co-stars Sean Faris and Andrew Walker, but will probably skip her Hallmark movies.

• Love 2

I have never liked Shenae's acting from Degrassi to 90210 to these movies. I feel like I am watching a person attempt to act, but not actually acting. If that makes any sense at all. I enjoy her co-stars Sean Faris and Andrew Walker, but will probably skip her Hallmark movies.

The plot for Promposal sounds so weird to me because she's also obviously too old to attend prom(all the schools around here have an age 21 cut off ) and the many times I've seen the celebrity goes to prom with an unknown lucky teen said celeb is still a teen themselves(16-19).Her character is old enough to date the teacher and have it not come across as creepy.  If this is Hallmark's attempt at trying to attract the teen audience they need to do better. Like use some familiar faces currently on shows popular with teens(Pixl has been doing that for their upcoming movies) and write a love story for younger characters.

I kind of thought the Promposal plot sounded odd, too.  I couldn't figure out whether or not it was supposed to be aimed at teens or twentysomethings (either of which is fine if it's clear).   The whole plot just sounded kind of strange to me, and I couldn't really get a sense of what it was/is supposed to be from the synopsis I read. 

So... I don't know.  I'll tune in just because Andrew Walker is in it, but I am not feeling too hopeful about this one.

Irlandesa -- Coat of Many Colors 2 is coming up, I guess this year.  I would assume it will end up on NBC again (since it seemed to be a hit for the network), but we'll see.

My thoughts about "Love by Chance"...

I pretty much liked most of the actors/characters in the movie.  No one was terrible, and I especially enjoyed the parents (Brenda Strong and Garwin Sanford).  In fact, I had no problem that the parents had so much onscreen time (especially Brenda), and I wanted to follow them on their trip to Italy.  I liked the people who worked with the doctor -- Marci T House is in at least 2 more TV movies this year (The Last Christmas and Same Time Next Week).  I liked the partner at the restaurant/bakery.

But the dilemma (and we know there always has to be a dilemma) of the "truth" being held back -- the truth simply being that Claire's (played by Beau Garrett) mom originally arranged for the guy Claire loves to meet her -- was drawn out too long, and was blown out of proportion.  I mean... the matchmaking worked in that case, and the couple was already together.  So the revelation of the mom's part in it was -- to me -- not that big of a deal.  At that point, why did anyone care so much? 

Of course, the plots in Hallmark movies always play out like that, and there is always a dilemma that is not really that big of a dilemma in the grand scheme of things.   I think that sometimes I am less bothered by/more forgiving of those things, depending on the mood I am in and whether or not I like enough other parts of the movie to let the dilemma portion of it slide. 

I am realizing more and more with Hallmark movies that the ones that have some sort of theme involving specific holiday decorations and activities -- Christmas, Halloween/Fall, Valentine's Day -- are always going to be the ones I prefer.  If all else fails and the story is bland, or the actors are bland, or a familiar plot device weighs everything down, at least I can enjoy the seasonal décor and events shown in the movies (Christmas caroling, pumpkin picking, Harvest Festival, Valentine dance or fair, etc.).  Of course, if a random non-seasonal gem, with no decorations or themed outings, comes along (Love on the Air, for example), that is a big bonus.

The majority of the other movies with no seasonal/holiday theme fail to hook me.  I will watch them, but I may get up and do something else while the movie plays in the background, and I may not make a point of watching them again.  Some are a bit better than others -- even if they are not gems -- and some are just kind of so-so.

Edited by Sherry67

My thoughts about "Love by Chance"...

I pretty much liked most of the actors/characters in the movie.  No one was terrible, and I especially enjoyed the parents (Brenda Strong and Garwin Stanford).  In fact, I had no problem that the parents had so much onscreen time (especially Brenda), and I wanted to follow them on their trip to Italy.  I liked the people who worked with the doctor -- Marci T House is in at least 2 more TV movies this year (The Last Christmas and Same Time Next Week).  I liked the partner at the restaurant/bakery.

But the dilemma (and we know there always has to be a dilemma) of the "truth" being held back -- the truth simply being that Claire's (played by Beau Garrett) mom originally arranged for the guy Claire loves to meet her -- was drawn out too long, and was blown out of proportion.  I mean... the matchmaking worked in that case, and the couple was already together.  So the revelation of the mom's part in it was -- to me -- not that big of a deal.  At that point, why did anyone care so much? 

I felt the same way pretty much. I almost tuned out within the first 30 min though because the buildup to getting things going was kind of boring. I wanted to like the girl who played Claire and at times I did but overall something about her was annoying. Maybe the way her character was written is what annoyed me more then the actress herself. I kind of felt bad for Brenda Strong for having to be in a movie that was so clunky.

I liked the movies that Lisa Whelchel and Nicollette Sheridan were in better. 

I had never heard of the book White Hot before the commercials for the movie started airing. When I saw Shenae Grimes-Beech was going to be in it I let out an audible groan. The wig looking hairdo she's sporting in them made me laugh.  I tried watching the first few years of 90210 and she drove me crazy in that. 

• Love 2

I almost tuned out within the first 30 min though because the buildup to getting things going was kind of boring.

This. I felt that way too. I thought Love by Chance was just okay. It wasn't great, but not the worst movie Hallmark has put out either. The acting was fine. I like Benjamin Ayres from Saving Hope, so I enjoyed him here. I also enjoyed the guy who played Claire's dad. Brenda Strong's character was annoying, but she was kind of suppose to be.

Was there an actual song in this movie or am I misremembering or confusing it with another movie? I keep thinking that Hallmark is using more songs with lyrics that are from actual bands/singers lately than their usual generic background music. Maybe it is just me though.

Sherry67 - Do you know what movies are included in the June weddings theme and who is in them? You probably already posted on it. I should go back and look.

• Love 1

As usual, I am in the minority. I was not expecting to like Love by Chance much and wasn't really interested in the male lead from the commercials. However, I actually ended up enjoying the movie more than the last two. I felt like the leads had good chemistry and the male lead pleasantly surprised me. Agree that it was a stupid dilemma to make a big deal out of, as usual. Yes, the mom went too far in the initial set up. But besides getting him to the right place, the meeting was pretty much natural. But I otherwise liked it a lot and figure I'll keep it on my DVR awhile.

• Love 4

This. I felt that way too. I thought Love by Chance was just okay. It wasn't great, but not the worst movie Hallmark has put out either. The acting was fine. I like Benjamin Ayres from Saving Hope, so I enjoyed him here. I also enjoyed the guy who played Claire's dad. Brenda Strong's character was annoying, but she was kind of suppose to be.

Was there an actual song in this movie or am I misremembering or confusing it with another movie? I keep thinking that Hallmark is using more songs with lyrics that are from actual bands/singers lately than their usual generic background music. Maybe it is just me though.

Sherry67 - Do you know what movies are included in the June weddings theme and who is in them? You probably already posted on it. I should go back and look.

So far, the only confirmed June Weddings movie is the one with Jack Wagner and Josie Bissett -- The Wedding March.  Jack confirmed that it would be part of June Weddings.   I think that one has the potential to be good because of the two leads (pretty much two of the only ones who didn't hook up on Melrose Place!).

Other than that, Hallmark seems to suddenly be making a few wedding-themed movies all in a short period of time, and I feel like it's a race to see which ones will make it into June Weddings.  Hallmark must know, but they have not announced the titles.

The ones that could end up in June Weddings are:

Wedding Bells (which I suspect is the one that Danica McKellar, Kavan Smith and Christopher Russell are shooting right now, but I could be wrong, as they are keeping hush-hush on the title of their movie -- but Wedding Bells is filming, whoever is in it!);

Stop the Wedding (one of the lead actors appears to be Niall Matter, another 90210 escapee who is also going to be in Hallmark's Snow Capped Christmas later this year);

The Convenient Groom (I think this one is almost sure to end up in June Weddings; one of the lead actors in it is Vanessa Marcil, of General Hospital and 2 previous Hallmark movies); and/or

Ms. Matched (the one with Alexa PenaVega and David Lloydy).

Last year there were only 3 new movies in June, so I don't know if Hallmark is exceeding that number this year or aiming for 3 again.  If I had to guess, I'd assume that it will be: The Wedding March, Stop the Wedding, The Convenient Groom and Wedding Bells.    If there are only 3 new ones, I'm not sure what they would leave out.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I had never heard of the book White Hot before the commercials for the movie started airing. When I saw Shenae Grimes-Beech was going to be in it I let out an audible groan. The wig looking hairdo she's sporting in them made me laugh.  I tried watching the first few years of 90210 and she drove me crazy in that. 

I disliked her on 90210 and Degrassi too so I avoided her Christmas movie.

• Love 2

As usual, I am in the minority. I was not expecting to like Love by Chance much and wasn't really interested in the male lead from the commercials. However, I actually ended up enjoying the movie more than the last two. I felt like the leads had good chemistry and the male lead pleasantly surprised me. Agree that it was a stupid dilemma to make a big deal out of, as usual. Yes, the mom went too far in the initial set up. But besides getting him to the right place, the meeting was pretty much natural. But I otherwise liked it a lot and figure I'll keep it on my DVR awhile.

I liked it better than the other two movies that aired this month mostly based on the casting.  But I also agree with others that the "drama" here was so ridiculous.  If the girl is really in love with the guy, this would not be something she'd get upset about.  The love hormones would more than likely lead to her making excuses for both her mom and her boyfriend.  Or at least just her boyfriend.  I think she'd blow up at her mom for something else.  So once it hit that part, it became tedious. 

But I did like everyone in the cast. 

I haven't seen White Hot yet.  I'll try to watch that tomorrow.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Hallmark decided to make this movie. It has too many themes that don't fit in with these types of movies they make and from what I heard they completely sanitized it and changed the storylines. 

Can they stop filming all their movies in Vancouver? Because it can't pass for everywhere and its been glaring in some movies like Unleashing Mr. Darcy where that obviously wasn't New York City.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 1

I liked it better than the other two movies that aired this month mostly based on the casting.  But I also agree with others that the "drama" here was so ridiculous.  If the girl is really in love with the guy, this would not be something she'd get upset about.  The love hormones would more than likely lead to her making excuses for both her mom and her boyfriend.  Or at least just her boyfriend.  I think she'd blow up at her mom for something else.  So once it hit that part, it became tedious. 

But I did like everyone in the cast. 

I haven't seen White Hot yet.  I'll try to watch that tomorrow.

I agree the drama was stupid. But I expect that in every single one of these movies, so they cancel each other out. It doesn't really relate to how much I enjoy the movie, for the most part. I WOULD enjoy them more if none of the movies had the silly drama. 

Agree with In2You that it is distracting when all of these movies are filmed at the same places for supposedly different settings. That one modern building in this movie was in the mommy blogger movie (where the convention was) and I Do I Do I Do, plus who knows how many more I have forgotten. Also the same houses.

All I have to say about White Hot is bad.

• Love 1

Yeah. I couldn't believe White Hot was even more boring than the predictable Hallmark movie that aired on Saturday night.  Lukewarm would've been a better title since that describes the relationship.  And absolutely zero suspense in the mystery.  It's not that I figured it out, I just didn't care. 

Hallmark fave or "fave" Doris Roberts passed away.

• Love 1

All I have to say about White Hot is bad.

It was awful. I stuck with it to the end and kept hoping things might get better. They didn't of course. 

When the movie started they showed Shenae Grimes-Beech's character in the office she worked in where the co-worker gives her the bad news about her brother and her hair looked longer and more natural then it did during the rest of that snooze-fest. It seemed like after she got back to her "hometown" she was always sporting a weird looking helmet head wig looking hairdo in an attempt to look older or something which distracted me throughout the whole damn movie. The fake Louisiana/Southern accents some of the actors were trying to sport didn't help either.

• Love 2

I'm reading Stop the Wedding and I'm not sure about Hallmark making this into a movie.  The story is about Anabelle Coakley, a divorce attorney who gets a call from her mother who is about to  marry a washed up movie star after about 2 months of dating. A former movie star with a reputation for jumping into relationships with young golddiggers. So naturally she boards the next flight to Atlanta(which has a big film industry where people make alot of low budget movies yet Hallmark still is filming this in Vancouver so I hope we're spared from bad fake accents). The son Clay Castleberry is a businessman though they did such a bad job explaining his job I'm not sure what his profession is. He's used to jumping in to save the day and paying these women off to get out of his father's life to try and stop them from walking down the aisle.

Its not full of gratuitous sex scenes however sexual tension is a big part of the story and the only good part. And without that I see this being similar to Unleashing Mr. Darcy where two grown people are snipping at each other the entire movie because they're from two "different worlds". I'm mid way through the book and getting tired of the main Anabelle's childish antics.