Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: The Story Of Toni And Candace

I really enjoyed this ep. It was fun seeing their backstory. I loved hearing where "Women and Women First" came from. I'd never figured that out.

The newspaper interviewer was a great character.

"The only thing I could be the head of is a Candace body."

• Love 2

They were going for surreal and ridiculous, but it was a little too surreal for me. It had its moments, but it just seemed to depart a lot from the usual tone and style of the previous Women & Women First sketches. And sometimes I sort of feel like with Candace and Toni they make fun of feminists a little bit instead of just making fun of Candace and Toni, but... I don't know.

Anyone know the song that played during the dance scene when the creepy guy saw Candace? Not the "I've Got The Power" song, the slow one?

Edited by Falafel
  • Love 1

One reason I really liked this episode was that, outlandish as it was, I believed this could be origin story of Tony and Candace. I have no doubt there are many shop owners in the Portlands of this world who are exiles from big-corporate.

A layer of deicious irony is that many independent booksellers like Women and Women First exist (if not thrive) in our larger cities, while the B. Dalton and Crown Books of the world disappeared in the last Ice Age.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

I prefer the little vignettes.  I would have liked seeing them set up the store in Portland.  That's it!  I missed Portland in this ep.

I would have liked them to cut the bit where they disguised themselves as men, and just jump to how the store got set up. Maybe that will be a "Chapter Two".

One reason I really liked this episode was that, outlandish as it was, I believed this could be origin story of Tony and Candace. 

And I have no doubt that they would have told the entire story to a part time writer working for a neighborhood monthly. 

Did we see the boat captain in another ep? I don't think it was with Toni and Candace, but I believe there was camping involved.

Yes, she was in "Getting Away". She was also in the "pedicab" segment, the woman who wanted to go to the airport.

I prefer the little vignettes.  I would have liked seeing them set up the store in Portland.  That's it!  I missed Portland in this ep.

It was confusing. Wasn't that boat in the Willamette next to downtown? This city might pass for Newark but not NYC.

Edited by scowl

Though I'm not always a fan of non-vignette eps, I loved this backstory. It pains me how atrocious a job they do of making Fred look like a woman, but then laugh anyway because it's so damn awful. So obvious in retrospect, but loved the origin of the store name, and also liked that they took the coke-server bimbos with them. And Angel! Wasn't sure if she was supposed to be playing a different character, but loved that she's the same person, and led them to Portland. The actor who played the bookstore head honcho was great. Hated him for being a "fictional" asshole, but he had great charisma and presence.

Bless you, Toni and Candace, never, never change.

I immediately recognized Angel as the yacht captain but wasn't the local reporter Ronald Moore from the episode where Fred and Carrie binge watched the BSG reboot, tracked down the man they thought was the reboot's EP Ronald Moore, who was actually a local man named Ronald Moore, who ended up writing BSG scripts in his home with them? And I believe he and his wife also stayed at Fred and Carrie's B&B?

Now you've got me all confused. I didn't think the reporter was the same guy, but I thought the therapist in the Nina and Lance ep was him, which someone else confirmed.

I don't remember the reporter at all, but yes the therapist was the same guy. 

I apologize for any of the confusion I caused with my first post above, I saw the first 2 eps of this season back to back so there's a chance I may have mixed the actors up. Soooo embarrassed right now. :-(

That's okay! I couldn't remember either, but it isn't the same guy. I just rewatched the first few minutes on IFC's website. It would be helpful if they would list the other actors who play on an episode but I couldn't find it on Wikipedia, IMDB or on IFC's site. 

Falafel! Yes!! Thank you!! I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what the vocal is that was dropped in the middle of "power".

I know the track is power by snap. It's a freestyle classic and I listened to the original, the remix, the mega mix and found nothing like this vocal. I'm a dj and creating edits is part of that and this vocal is killing me to be edited and used. So I shazam'd it - nothing. I recorded a video of that track and sent it to my partner - nothing. I looked up the lyrics as best as I could hear them - nothing.

It almost sounds like this:

Take me back to heaven, to sleep/ cuz you are no longer free

???? I know that's not it but I can't quite make out the lyrics!!

Aaaahh! This is driving me nuts. I just can't figure out why copyright/licensing deals for tv don't require song accreditation in the closing credits!

Help please. If anyone recognizes it I will be yr best friend. Also, I have the video snippet of it but I don't know how to attach in this forum.

Aaaahh! This is driving me nuts. I just can't figure out why copyright/licensing deals for tv don't require song accreditation in the closing credits!

I still want to know what it is. Last season, someone on Twitter asked Carrie what a specific song playing in an episode was and she looked it up in the music library and responded. Maybe try her on Twitter?

<but wasn't the local reporter Ronald Moore from the episode where Fred and Carrie binge watched the BSG reboot, tracked down the man they thought was the reboot's EP Ronald Moore, who was actually a local man named Ronald Moore, who ended up writing BSG scripts in his home with them? And I believe he and his wife also stayed at Fred and Carrie's B&B?>

I believe the African-American cast member in question is named Henry Cottrell. It took a bit of figuring out since IMDB doesn't have photos for all the recurring actors from the show.