Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

(edited)

Confirmation from Chad about when they start back. 

Chad Gomez Creasey ‏@chadgcreasey  2 hrs2 hours ago
@FredBC77 June 1st, Season 8 begins. Get ready for some Old Man Winter and Alexi love for all things #Castle.

Tell TPW to drop the Senator story Chad. That's the first order of business as far as I'm concerned wrap that up nicely and bury it, leave it for the fanfic writers. 

Edited by verdana

Confirmation from Chad about when they start back. 

Tell TPW to drop the Senator story Chad. That's the first order of business as far as I'm concerned wrap that up nicely and bury it, leave it for the fanfic writers. 

From other shows, I get the feeling that fan comments/suggestions on Twitter often rub producers/writers the wrong way. (Unless it's purely complimentary, of course.) But if tweeting could help avert a Senator Beckett, then maybe I should consider it.  Beckett running for senate (state or otherwise) makes very little sense to me.  

(edited)

OTOH, the photo they chose of NF is going on my Nathan Fillion Bicep Appreciation Society Pinterest Board. 

*Fans self. Pours an unoaked pino grigio.*

Yes the picture they used of him caught my eye before the article did, he's looking mighty fine there, very much Mr Ruggedly Handsome and the open necked shirt without the bow tie....yum.

Had to refresh to access it though, damn nag screen trying to get me to join Pinterest. Sorry, but I DON'T want to! At least not right now.

Same here, liked your Pinterest board but it's soooo annoying they keep wanting you to join up every time you go in puts me off. I might if they stopped pestering me constantly!

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Maya was better on Shield. A captured Shield agent that's got brainwashed by Hydra/Whitehall. She got to do a fight scene with May and basically was Ward's damaged girlfriend that would do anything for him.

So very much better that I didn't even realize it was the same actress.  Well written and well portrayed, her actions and motivations were completely understandable.

• Love 1

I find that result strange because I'd say the opposite was true, the season was far from solid yet the finale was pretty good all things considered and one of the better ones they've had for many years.

The only thing I can think of is that the people that voted in that poll watched all the other shows and didn't want to vote for them, so they defaulted to voting for Castle. Because I'd agree; Hollander's Woods was one of the better episodes of the season and especially among their season finales.

How does one get a photo of one's butt and someone else? Such a weird photo angle. I have this vision of him holding his phone upside down behind him and and trying to take a photo while no one notices.

That said, it's not a bad photo, lol.

Penny's out as Captain Gates.

Maybe I've just lost my care about the show but I see people upset on twitter and I'm like, "so what who cares?" Not like Gates was a fully realized character. She would be gone from episodes w no explanation as to why. In my opinion this = Captain Beckett is coming.

I...don't really like this. I realize this show isn't any reflection of reality, but Beckett as Captain BEFORE even being a Lieutenant first is ridiculous. Not that politics is a better alternative, but I find both options can be equally dumb.

And captains are figureheads, 9 times out of 10, also, ironically, dealing with internal police politics. How the hell will it be worked so a (possible, as we don't know) CAPTAIN will be consistently out in the field?

It is what it is, I guess, but this doesn't sound all that great from where I sit.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wendy if you go to the book thread and have read the excerpt from the next NH novel, it kind of covers the last question. Well I expect them to incorporate it that way if they go the Captain route.

ETA: Agree with you about the Lt part though!

Edited by Nadine

Well Gates managed to last one more season than Mongomery so I wished they spent time developing the Beckett/Gates relationship this past season. Now I'm wondering if there is gonna be huge time jump. Too bad they couldn't kept Penny on as recurring so that Gates could announce her retirement during the show to lead to Captain Beckett.

GSN was rerunning The Chase with Seamus and I thought I heard Brooke call him Lt. Ryan so that cracked me up since I was like when did Ryan become a Lt.

I agree that Gates wasn't fully realized as a character, but I still enjoyed her back and forth with Castle from time to time, as well as her relationship with Beckett when they managed to right it in. But I think it's more that I'll miss Penny, because I appreciated the enthusiasm for the show and for the fans that she demonstrated via Twitter. 

That said, I also think it's nice that there seems to be forward motion in the story. It would kind of suck, after all the work they put into setting up Beckett's new career path in the finale, to just pick up right where we left off and keep going as though nothing had happened and consigning progress to the future .

I do think it's sad that it seems that we won't even get a goodbye from Captain Gates. I guess they'll be doing a bit of a time jump to address it. I wonder how far into the future the show will leap come S8. 

• Love 1

Regarding a potential time jump: since they already screwed us out of their real wedding, I'm worried they may pull a Parks and Rec jump and when we next see them, they'll already have 2 of their 3 kids. Not to be a total sap, but I would like to actually see Beckett tell Castle the big news, and not just have to imagine it happening off screen.

I...don't really like this. I realize this show isn't any reflection of reality, but Beckett as Captain BEFORE even being a Lieutenant first is ridiculous. Not that politics is a better alternative, but I find both options can be equally dumb.

And captains are figureheads, 9 times out of 10, also, ironically, dealing with internal police politics. How the hell will it be worked so a (possible, as we don't know) CAPTAIN will be consistently out in the field?

It is what it is, I guess, but this doesn't sound all that great from where I sit.

Have they ever revealed Beckett's actual rank?

Because she always seems to be ordering her colleagues around, one presumes she's a Detective Sergeant... but have they ever actually confirmed it?

If so, really I don't see why they wouldn't just imply the squad is reorganized so a Lieutenant is leading, and have THAT be her promotion.

Boy! That final toast of the whole cast being together and being a family didn't last long, did it? Penny didn't really have much to do on the show. I mean did she ever get kidnapped or get a "special episode"? I Personalky didn't care for the character because she was so abrasive with Castle almost to the end. One minute she liked him and another she didn't.

Whilst it's sad to see the actress become surplus to requirements she had to go if they were intending to pursue the Captain Beckett story arc. It's much more palatable than the Senator idea which I hate with a passion so this is the lesser of two evils. Presumably her disappearance will be tidied up with a time jump and a one liner. Can't say I'm that bothered, Samantha's right is it really that big a deal? Most of the secondary cast are treated like spare parts in any case and sadly they never developed Gates as a character especially her relationship with Beckett. As for her interactions with Castle they varied according to the plot from acceptance even warmth to outright disdain which could be frustrating, I can't say her loss will leave some gaping void in the show.

As much as some fans would like the format to continue unchanged, things can't remain stagnant for the characters. The writers have been determined to highlight Beckett's career as being an issue over the last few seasons and they had to stop going around in circles and let Kate fulfil herself and this time stick with it. They couldn't have Beckett treating the 12th like some revolving door as she came and went as she pleased, at least this way she stays at the precinct whilst moving up the NYPD career ladder which makes far more sense than her dreaming of a political career.

I don't see what other options the new showrunners had TBH, she 'aced' the captain's exam so they could hardly ignore the situation.

(edited)

The Hollywood Reporter wrote about PJJ's exit and ended the article w. this tidbit:

The character has never had a real story line for the length of the show and is likely easily replaceable.

I couldn't agree more! 

I haven't watched an episode since that shark jumping episode a.k.a explaining what happened to Castle during the kidnapping - however I did read that bit about Beckett acing the captain's exam. So she skipped pass lieutenant, huh?

Again, maybe it's my losing my interest & care in the show that I'm not that whatever about Gates being gone. I said before rest of supp. cast signed on that Lanie could go to. Tamala is a good actress but she's not being used and hasn't had a real singular episode in 8 seasons.

For the still loving fans I hope that the new writers/showrunners will get the show back on the wagon.  

Edited by Samantha84

I am not at all surprised about Penny, if they were going to go with Captain Beckett; they would either get rid of Gates or the whole of the 12th and the latter is too much hassle. Senator Beckett would mean too much change.

Will they do a time jump where Gates has already gone or will there be a lesser time jump where we see Gates move on and Beckett take her place?

Here's the article at TV line about Penny's departure.

http://tvline.com/2015/05/29/castle-penny-johnson-jerald-leaving-gates-season-8/

TVLine hears from sources that Jerald’s exit is one of several creative tweaks that Castle will be making for Season 8, under new co-showrunners Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley.

It's going to be intriguing to see what these further 'tweaks' there are going to be and whether those changes will include any further departures or cut backs on certain cast members screen time.

I could do without Lanie if they feel like making a further cull on personnel, she contributes little and in truth I find Tamala a rather weak actress the few times she has been called upon to stretch herself.

(edited)

Gotta say I feel the captain character as well as the actor portraying said character kind of get a raw deal on Castle.  By comparison, the Captain on Elementary, played by Aidan Quinn, is still well and alive in S3 so perhaps it's early days yet, but he's gotten more to do than Montgomery and Gates combined!  I don't think RSH expected to be offed on a light-hearted procedural like Castle, and I definitely don't think PJJ saw the axe coming.  It's really a shame in that Castle landed 2 good, seasoned actors that any show would be lucky to have but gave them precious little to do over the course of their tenure.  Underutlised and underserved by the writing, and never fleshed out into a truly multidimensional character.   But that goes for most of the supporting cast. ;)  

I suppose it's the nature of Hollywood- one minute you're in and the next you can be out- but it's got to suck to find out that you're out of a job after a season's finished filming, without prior warning, just when you're enjoying hiatus and expecting a steady paycheck for the year.  It's too late for her to go for roles for new shows next season now, which she could have done if they'd given her some notice as it wasn't like they were using her terribly much on the show.  RSH got to say his goodbyes at least. but poor Penny doesn't even get that.  I mean, I'm sure she can go on set and do so next season, but it's not quite the same thing, is it?  On shows like GoT and TWD, characters that you'll truly miss get killed off left and right, but at least they usually get to go out with a proper sendoff in terms of attention in the script.  Gates/PJJ deserves one too.  

I wonder if it was a purely creative decision or if budget issues factored into it as well.  Maybe there are budget cuts for S8 or maybe the budget blew up with the new contracts for the rest of the cast.  I had thought that the supporting cast had all closed new deals shortly after Nathan and Stana had re-signed, but I guess not in the case of Penny.

Gates didn't really click with me at the beginning and the 'sir' thing is still ridiculous, but she grew on me as time went on.  Gates/PJJ handled both the drama and the comedy with Castle and Beckett well.  Surprisingly, I enjoyed the dynamic between Castle and Gates more than I did with Gates and Beckett, perhaps because there was more to play with in the former from the writers.  I would have liked them to explore the mentorship angle between Gates and Beckett more than they did, kind of like what they did with Jordan Shaw and Beckett, but I guess it's too late for that now.

No wonder Tamala is so publicly thankful even for 'lividity'.  Given how little she has to do, it's amazing she's still a regular.  

I wouldn't miss Tory if she were cut, but I guess since she's recurring she doesn't cost as much and so is here to stay even though I don't think her character adds anything interesting to the show.

To be honest, I might not even miss Esposito and Ryan much if Beckett were to command a brand new precinct.  The boys' dynamic hasn't evolved since the beginning and it's gotten stale to me.  They're mostly just there for exposition anyway.  Unless the writers bring something new to them next season... and in light of the whole stupid recasting rumour that was stirred up... perhaps no one should have guaranteed safety on the show other than Caskett.  Martha and Alexis still have value to me because the personal side of things in their relationship with Castle and Beckett is more interesting to me than what little they do with Esposito and Ryan that goes beyond their exposition role.

I'm wary about how a time jump will be handled, as looks likely now.  Many shows don't handle that skilfully.  And gosh, no Castle babies, please.  Onscreen or off.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

In other news, also gotta say that when I see a pic of Nathan looking like this, I feel like we can go back in time and start with a Prof. Richard Castle AU. https://twitter.com/Merf_Shsu/status/604670712721240065

Or Ricardo Castillo AU? https://instagram.com/p/3UFLQRhf2F/ 

I think Beckett would dig both.

And of course there's the usual wondering about why he doesn't look like this on the show? ;)  Bring on the scruff and glasses, I say.  

• Love 1

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it - every single time I see Nathan in his glasses, I'm reminded what a travesty it is he hasn't ever worn them as Castle. If I had a wish list for the show before it ends, that might be my shallow #1. 

• Love 2
Or Ricardo Castillo AU?

Actually, in the '80s and '90s on NBC, there was a daytime soap called Santa Barbara and that was actually the name of one of the characters, the younger brother of the lead couple's male half.  :-)

• Love 1

I hope they give Gates a good send off. I grew to like her, even as underdeveloped as she was.

I agree it looks like they heading for a Captain Beckett scenario, which, of the options they presented in the finale, is the better choice. But count me in as someone that doesn't want a giant time jump so we come back to Captain Beckett, married with three kids.

Although I guess they could be going in the direction of Senator Beckett, where Ryan recruits Espo to his brother in law's security firm and they protect Beckett/help her campaign. Then the whole show moves from the precinct and Gates is still around as Captain, just not as part of the story... But I hope not.

I still think it makes no sense for Beckett to jump to politics. Flattered they want her, but not something she actually wants to do.

• Love 3

I hope they give Gates a good send off. I grew to like her, even as underdeveloped as she was.

I agree it looks like they heading for a Captain Beckett scenario, which, of the options they presented in the finale, is the better choice. But count me in as someone that doesn't want a giant time jump so we come back to Captain Beckett, married with three kids.

Although I guess they could be going in the direction of Senator Beckett, where Ryan recruits Espo to his brother in law's security firm and they protect Beckett/help her campaign. Then the whole show moves from the precinct and Gates is still around as Captain, just not as part of the story... But I hope not.

I still think it makes no sense for Beckett to jump to politics. Flattered they want her, but not something she actually wants to do.

Exactly. It makes me wonder if they want to use her as some kind of Manchurian candidate.

(edited)

Actually, in the '80s and '90s on NBC. there was a daytime soap called Santa Barbara and that was actually the name of one of the characters, the younger brother of the lead couple's male half.  :-)

Was he ruggedly handsome? :P

I just hope that if they pursue the Captain storyline then they really try to flesh it out to make it interesting.  But can they within the inherited framework of the show which is 95% is self contained COTW?  If it's going to be basically as it was before except that Beckett's title is different, then, well, what's the point in changing things up?  On other procedurals like The Closer/Major Crimes, it's the Deputy Chief/Captain heading up investigations as the lead on the show, and to me, it doesn't really make a difference what the lead detective's title is because she does the same job on the show.  And there's always a higher up to serve as her antagonist even if it's mostly a one dimensional role.  What I want to see is more of a personal flavour to all storylines, professional and personal, as the personal is mostly what I'm invested in on the show.  Especially as they've failed to make most of the COTWs compelling, although of course I hope that changes next season since most of the show is the COTW.

It makes me wonder if they want to use her as some kind of Manchurian candidate.

That could be an interesting serialised storyline, if they had the ability to write it well and really commit to it instead of half ass it like the Castle disappearance line.  But Castle isn't exactly House of Cards and every time they've touched on politics in the past I've cringed.

Edited by madmaverick

Thanks for the scruff pictures madmaverick, always welcome! Oh for a scene with him wearing glasses! I'd take that over chaste kissing.

I feel sympathy for Penny as she's clearly been told very late in the day her services are no longer required and that makes job hunting a more difficult proposition, but I can also understand that for the new showrunners they couldn't make any firm decisions until MilMar had officially left.

I wouldn't be surprised if budgetary considerations were also a factor in the equation and getting rid of superfluous cast members would be the first move and on Castle that means everyone is fair game due to creative neglect aside from the main leads. Almost all of the secondary cast have been neglected so there's no reason to be invested in their 'story' because there isn't one.

• Love 1

Was he ruggedly handsome? :P

I just hope that if they pursue the Captain storyline then they really try to flesh it out to make it interesting.  But can they within the inherited framework of the show which is 95% is self contained COTW?  If it's going to be basically as it was before except that Beckett's title is different, then, well, what's the point in changing things up?  On other procedurals like The Closer/Major Crimes, it's the Deputy Chief/Captain heading up investigations as the lead on the show, and to me, it doesn't really make a difference what the lead detective's title is because she does the same job on the show.  And there's always a higher up to serve as her antagonist even if it's mostly a one dimensional role.  What I want to see is more of a personal flavour to all storylines, professional and personal, as the personal is mostly what I'm invested in on the show.  Especially as they've failed to make most of the COTWs compelling, although of course I hope that changes next season since most of the show is the COTW.

That could be an interesting serialised storyline, if they had the ability to write it well and really commit to it instead of half ass it like the Castle disappearance line.  But Castle isn't exactly House of Cards and every time they've touched on politics in the past I've cringed.

Exactly. They'd probably turn it into a joke :(.

I can't imagine this current crop of writers handling anything like a Manchurian candidate scenario with any deftness of touch, this is Castle we're talking about here. I shudder to think what I'd end up getting.

I just hope that if they pursue the Captain storyline then they really try to flesh it out to make it interesting. But can they within the inherited framework of the show which is 95% is self contained COTW? If it's going to be basically as it was before except that Beckett's title is different, then, well, what's the point in changing things up?

I suspect they assume that would be enough, she's got the title, the promotion and that will be enough and there will be very little exploration of anything much, of course I'm basing this on my experience with Marlowe who given every opportunity to go down an interesting avenue with a storyline doggedly pursued the most unimaginative option. Maybe Hawley and Winter will be more creative and less predictable.
  • Love 1

Another reason to feel relieved Gates has gone, I will never have to endure another scene of Castle kissing her whilst Beckett looks on.

I still have nightmares about that 'fun' moment.

I feel bad that Penny was apparently blindsided about this, but can't really say I care about Gates being gone. What are the chances they would finally start to give her a real storyline now? She plays no real role on the show except as a generic authority figure. And the "sir" thing always bothered me. It's anti-feminist to say being called sir is more respectful than ma'am.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would personally like to hear that the time traveler was completely wrong. Beckett's not a senator and Caskett only have one or two kids. No big time jump though, I want to see them find out about the pregnancy.

• Love 2

I feel bad that Penny was apparently blindsided about this, but can't really say I care about Gates being gone. What are the chances they would finally start to give her a real storyline now? She plays no real role on the show except as a generic authority figure. And the "sir" thing always bothered me. It's anti-feminist to say being called sir is more respectful than ma'am.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would personally like to hear that the time traveler was completely wrong. Beckett's not a senator and Caskett only have one or two kids. No big time jump though, I want to see them find out about the pregnancy.

Me too!

Maybe they'll wake up and it's all a dream! Like the Dallas shower scene! :D

Or Ricardo Castillo AU? https://instagram.com/p/3UFLQRhf2F/

I am a fan. A giant fan. Glasses and scruff? Kill me now. This should absolutely be on the show.

As far as PJJ goes, I hope they give Gates a happy ending sendoff and I feel the worst about the fact that Penny seems to have been a bit blindsided by the news, but if anyone wasn't coming back ... she was always going to be the first in that line. They could get rid of Tory, too, I guess. Other than that, the cast is pretty small/people that I would be annoyed to lose. I still firmly believe that's why they took the chance and killed Montgomery - the Captain role is the most disposable role they have.

I wish Penny the best! Maybe they'll bring her back for a cameo when they wrap the series up?

I've been assuming she won't get any kind of (on screen) sendoff.  It will be a done deal off-screen, I bet.

Probably, but that doesn't mean she can't get a good sendoff. She can get promoted (what's a promotion from captain?), or retire to live on an island with her husband, or something. Basically, I kind of want Gates's absence to be explained in a happy/good way. Not that she was forced out so Beckett can be captain, or she died in a freak accident or a murder or something.

(edited)

Probably, but that doesn't mean she can't get a good sendoff. She can get promoted (what's a promotion from captain?), 

Unrealistically (because TV tends towards that), they'd magically make her a Deputy Chief. Because people have heard of that on other shows and would expect it.

Realistically (in the real NYC police hierarchy), the next rank up would be Deputy Inspector, then Inspector, then Deputy Chief, then Assistant Chief, then Bureau Chief, then Chief (which are all separate from the Police Commissioner and his Deputies).

Looking back at this stuff (I'd forgotten most of it), I was wrong to suggest that Beckett could already be a Detective Sergeant. Because apparently NYC has no such rank.  You'd either in real life be a Detective First-Grade, Sergeant or Lieutenant.  The first might be able to give case-related instruction to lower ranked Detectives, but have no actual supervisory authority.  The other two do.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I figured Detective First-Grade had to be something special, if only because in the first few episodes when L&O: CI premiered, Deakins made sure to mention (and emphasize) Bobby's rank when discussing something with him (even though Alex was the senior detective).

TV: Where one gets all sorts of police hierarchy education.  :-)

• Love 1

You'd either in real life be a Detective First-Grade, Sergeant or Lieutenant.  The first might be able to give case-related instruction to lower ranked Detectives, but have no actual supervisory authority.  The other two do.

If Detective Sergeant or Detective Lieutenant aren't titles that exist together, is it possible to hold the title of Sergeant or Lieutenant and still function as a detective? Like, Beckett could already be more than just a detective (giving her authority over Ryan and Espo, for example) but still investigating cases? Or would she have had to give up doing investigations herself if she'd already been promoted? That would give a little credibility to people like Lee Lofland who actually care about that kind of stuff.

I don't particularly care; it's not like I watch for scientific accuracy. I'm on board with Beckett being promoted to captain (especially if that nixes any talk of Senator Beckett!).

Detective Sergeant

I read the same thing as Kromm some time ago, that this rank did not exist. What amuses me is that the 1980s cop show, Hunter, did indeed use this "rank" for both leads. (Can you tell I'm a cop show junkie? And I just dated myself with this one!)