Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I mean, how awful would it be if he came out and said "nah guys, we're good!" And then ABC came back with "eh, except you're canceled."

Is 7x23 really the 150th episode?

7.22 is the 150th episode. So penultimate episode.

If the writers' are like the majority out there, they'd have their number #1 option they want to use for a finale and then backup options in case their number #1 option fails (aka series finale not season finale, etc).

Edited by Nadine

Quite a few fans have been suggesting that Stana was saying an emotional goodbye in auctioning off those particular items. I'm not saying she's leaving the show or anything but I do wonder if she's coming to the point where she's ready to let go of the character and become less attached to it. Beckett has one more stage left in her journey and that's motherhood then Katic can walk away.  

Edited by verdana

metaphor.Thanks for the links to the other articles.

When Amann was asked about whether they were going to show any after affects of what's happened he only mentioned Castle due to his prior experiences but not Beckett. Surely she would be even more disturbed by what's happened given she was the victim?  Why can't we see both of them grappling with this? 

The excuse that he did something extraordinary so the mobster issue went away because of his efforts still doesn't make that much sense but looks like the PI arc is over at least for the foreseeable future so that's a relief.

Hooray for more Beckett mythology. I wonder if we're going back to Bracken in some way here or if it'll be all new (maybe getting deeper into the career/family issue).

About time, they've almost got to the end of the season and finally they're realised that Beckett deserves some focus and they want to try and win back those disaffected fans unhappy with how things have played out so far with the character development - or lack of.

Edited by verdana
And as part of that, we think that moving forward there is this kind of an ongoing theme for Beckett about what it is that she wants to do next with her life and her career. That's going to be something that manifests in the episodes moving forward.

This could be a good story for Beckett and I hope they can execute whatever "mythology" they're considering for her in way that's natural and doesn't cause any stupid miscommunication issues between Castle and Beckett in the run up to the finale. I don't want a repeat of the DC arc, I want them to talk to each other about her goals and objectives and having children like grown ups do.  The fly in the ointment is the 150th episode and how they'll work that into any story arc they're planning.  May be they won't. 

Edited by verdana

And do you have a specific timeline for when you might re-examine the story of Castle's disappearance?

Amann: We'll revisit it in Episode 20. It's an episode that's going to deal, to a large degree, with Castle's missing time from the beginning of the season. It's fair to say that we'll get some clarity on what exactly happened to him, though we may not get the entire story.

I'm sure he said the same thing before Driven and Montreal aired, that we would get some answers to questions but not know everything and two hours of TV later I got nothing but a whole load of more questions dropped in my lap. This new Castle mythology has hardly set the world on fire and they need in 7.20 to start telling whatever story there is to tell and stop stalling. 

I'm sure he said the same thing before Driven and Montreal aired, that we would get some answers to questions but not know everything and two hours of TV later I got nothing but a whole load of more questions dropped in my lap. This new Castle mythology has hardly set the world on fire and they need in 7.20 to start telling whatever story there is to tell and stop stalling. 

I agree. If they want to give some answers that will satisfy people is what it was that was done and who the guy is that is covering everything. Then we can realize it was huge with an answer and then they can answer later why Castle did it, and why he wanted his memory gone. Then wrap it all up in a neat bow and let's move on. This has been a complete let down of a storyline.

• Love 1

I don't see that this story has legs like the Beckett mythology did but considering they disrupted the wedding because of it the least they can do is address the matter properly. 

I'm more convinced than ever the season finale is going to end with a Beckett pregnancy announcement and there won't be any burning cars or kidnappings to be seen.

Oh sorry I just realised I should have called the the Castle mythology by it's new term "the vanishing".  Giving it a new title isn't going to change the problems they've got with that story. 

Edited by verdana

I don't see that this story has legs like the Beckett mythology did but considering they disrupted the wedding because of it the least they can do is address the matter properly. 

I'm more convinced than ever the season finale is going to end with a Beckett pregnancy announcement and there won't be any burning cars or kidnappings to be seen.

Oh sorry I just realised I should have called the the Castle mythology by it's new term "the vanishing".  Giving it a new title isn't going to change the problems they've got with that story. 

The only reason I can see Castle agreeing to anything of this caliber was because it was a direct threat to his entire family. Beckett, Alexis and Martha. Hence he did it and then realized how bad it really was and needed his memory gone because it would have put everyone back in jeopardy again. One thing that would make sense.  The sad thing is it will most likely doing the classic "written into a corner" that happened with Beckett's mother's death and here with 3XK. 

With Bracket I read somewhere the original notes were: "Former New York politician did some shady dealings, Beckett's mother snuck her nose in where it didn't need to be and that said person is now in senate." It was a storyline that was looking like some type of military cover up and turned into a corrupt state's attorney who stumbled on a police cover up in the late 70s and then got out of control. I think the real problem were these ex military guys that were working for Bracket that just enjoyed killing people. The way the story ended, Motgamery or the other two cops that started this mess would have just turned over the files and tape through their third party connections that Bracket couldn't touch or knew about and it would have been over years ago. Bracket is now so up the creek, even if he brought in more of his "lackies" everyone would know it was him and he would probably get the death sentence.

With 3XK after that made Tyson out to be super serial killer like certain Bones' villains and showing the DA and the cops to such idiots it reached the point where you can't really do much more. Either have them succeed to send them off to jail or die. I liked this conclusion better with Tyson and Nieman better because in the end, Castle and Beckett beat them by their own games and it ended up with them both dead. Not that I wouldn't have minded a little bit more with between Kate and Nieman like her getting the scalpel, pushing Nieman back. Cutting her arms and legs free and then Nieman charging at Beckett with another surgical tool and all you see is Kate slicing at Nieman and then you cut to the scene with the boys coming and and finding Kate standing over Nieman's cut throat. 

Now with the "mythology" I see similar problem especially when it hasn't been touched on at all since episode 2.

Oh she has all those things and thinks "why am I keeping this stuff?" and then knows people would bid to have it, so she auctions it off. Nathan gives away his whole house at cons, it seems. Some of the stuff he gives away makes me wonder.

I mean, maybe she's cleaning herself from Castle ... or she's just organizing her house and trying to raise money for her ATP project.

Edited by McManda

I hope she's going to get a new chairback since she's apparently auctioning off her current one. lol 

Some of those bids are HIGH. I might want to know more about how ATP is going to use this money before I give tens of thousands of dollars. When Nathan auctions items off, it goes to a charity I know of with a pretty clear purpose. I don't see that so far for ATP. Maybe I've missed it though. 

Yeah I always like to know exactly where my money is going when it comes to charitable donations, unfortunately a lot of it ends up going on administration, I'm not saying that's the case with Stana's project but I like to do some research before handing over my hard earned cash! 

She should have done this for ATP a long time ago.

I thought I read a few days ago somewhere that ATP had finally been cleared for 501-C3[?] status, so she may have been waiting that before doing major fund-raising pushes.

From the ATP Web Site if you want to know where money goes

ATP is passionate about encouraging people to get out of their cars for just one day. But, we can’t operate on passion alone. Though we are run by volunteers, there are many costs associated with maintaining and growing our organization.

In 2015 we have an ambitious program of events planned to help people understand and embrace the ATP mission, and we need your support to make this possible.

Our goal is to inspire our worldwide community to take up the challenge to GOcarFREE. Additionally, we want to measure the reverberating effects of improved health, better air quality, reduced CO2 emissions, boosted local economies and stronger social cohesion resulting from an ATP Lifestyle.

The Alternative Travel Project is a 501c3 non-profit organization, and all donations are tax deductible.*

To make a one-time donation, or a recurring monthly payment please click the button below.

All funds go directly towards making ATP more amazing.

*Deductions applicable in United States only

I thought I read a few days ago somewhere that ATP had finally been cleared for 501-C3[?] status, so she may have been waiting that before doing major fund-raising pushes.

That was my initial thought too.

For $1,000 I'd have wanted three.

Thanks Tim.

List of items up for bid for Stana’s ATP auction.

Yeah some of those bids are steep.   A meet with Stana (I'm not sure you get a kiss?) is $6,700, okay I can see that fetching big bucks but some of the bids on things are crazy, I envy people who have that kind of cash happily lying around, I wish I did. LOL   Stana must be pleased, ATP could forget about their initiative over here there's no chance in hell they'll persuade anyone to get out of cars even for an afternoon. 

(I checked at lunch at the bid was already $830.)

It's now up to $1,600.

Edited by verdana

All funds go directly towards making ATP more amazing.

Well that's clear as mud. Sounds like a charity to end first world problems, because most folks in reality take "alternative travel" every day out of necessity. Yep, I'm going to continue donating to the food bank, and giving blankets for the homeless. I'll let someone else persuade LA citizens to park their BMWs for a day. ;-). But if people want to spend $4000 on a shirt (approximately the current bid), I am not their keeper.

But really, as a charity? Very socialite. It was cute before they started thinking it was worth taking cash away from serious causes.

Why is she selling the stuff now? It'll earn more money now than when Castle (the show) is a corpse. She has no way of knowing if the network will meet her and Nathan's demands and continue on beyond this season so she's striking while the iron is hot. And probably the charity status timing mentioned above is also a factor.

Edited by TVWithPity
  • Love 1

Heh. The whole thing has been a mess and the end of season run in doesn't look like it's been well planned based on what I'm reading. It's like they've torn up whatever their original game plan was and started again.

I do slightly prefer "the vanishing" to them saying "mythology" though. I'm sick to death of hearing that word dropped into every interview all the time and not just about Castle's story but every single story they have. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I'm glad we are getting more Castle this season but I could have done without the stupid mythology storyline - ehm ok what storyline ? Seriously if they had no clue where this was going, they should have left it alone. It's always fascinating how showrunners can put out storylines but don't have a clue where it goes or how it will end. The entire Bracken/elephant thing felt like a last minute thought to me as well. Map your stuff out guys !

The end scene this week has me thinking that Beckett might consider moving up the ladder and move into a more "behind the desk" position. If she has babies on the brain and considering what Nieman was about to do to her, it's pretty much a given she needs to step away from the action part of her job. I just hope she talks to Castle about this stuff this time. I don't wanna see another f***ed up finale.

I'm glad we are getting more Castle this season but I could have done without the stupid mythology storyline - ehm ok what storyline ? Seriously if they had no clue where this was going, they should have left it alone. It's always fascinating how showrunners can put out storylines but don't have a clue where it goes or how it will end. The entire Bracken/elephant thing felt like a last minute thought to me as well. Map your stuff out guys !

I know. I mean its going on for years from TV to comics. These stories are introduced and over half the time the writers have no idea. As I said up a few posts about the entire death of Kate's mother what the original notes were. They had the outline but that was it. There have been so many fan favorite shows where TPTB have just dropped a story and had no idea how to resolve it or they had the beginning and end but no idea what to do in the middle. I like to bring up Everwood as a great example but there was one character that they had a story line and had him signed on for 10 episodes in season 4 but they had no idea how to fit the character in the middle of their main stories with the main cast. So, 6 out of the 10 episodes the character just showed up, said a few things with no shirt on and left. Then in the last 4 episodes we get his whole story and its so rushed that you could tell they had the outline and the ending but the middle was just so bad. The show runners later said they just couldn't fit the story in and since he was such a "hot actor" their exact words. They figured they just put him in with no shirt on and drop a few lines and figured they could get the storyline in but they got so wrapped up in other stories and with the contract ending for the actor, they just rushed through it that he was a cheating dropout which felt so forced you could tell they had no road map of any kind. 

That's this with Castle's "vanishing". They had an idea and I'm sure they still have the basic setup with Bracket or 3XK but put so much "mystery" into it they had no idea where to go with it and now they are rushing to figure it out before the season is over. I can also see them just doing a rush to conclusion like with Bracket with the magic elephant and with 3XK by Tyson being so full of himself he messed everything up in the end.

I think one of their main problems is follow up. Beckett was obsessed with her mother’s case for years. It colored almost every decision she made. Yet once Bracken was captured it all just ceased to exist. Just like 3XK. He's dead & gone never to be thought of again. We don't need whole episodes dedicated to the fall out. Just a few lines of dialog acknowledging something terrible happened & that they are working through it. This for me is the thing that makes these characters feel human & real.

• Love 2

The "we know what's best for Stana more than she does herself" part of the fan group is doing their own fundraising to try and win the shirt and give it back to Stana. I don't get where people find the time or, even more so, the energy.

I'm sure she's selling it because it it's just a shirt to her but something really special to a (very rich) fan. Why can't anyone just let things be?

We don't need whole episodes dedicated to the fall out. Just a few lines of dialog acknowledging something terrible happened & that they are working through it. This for me is the thing that makes these characters feel human & real.

Same here, I'm not expecting much but a few lines would be good. I know it's not their MO but I think it's important, you can still fit that in and have a "light" episode people can enjoy. I don't see it as dragging down the fun element just because a character talks about more serious matters.  It makes the characters feel more relatable to see them experiencing some continuing emotional fall out - it's so jarring when they don't. 

• Love 1

Same here, I'm not expecting much but a few lines would be good. I know it's not their MO but I think it's important, you can still fit that in and have a "light" episode people can enjoy. I don't see it as dragging down the fun element just because a character talks about more serious matters.  It makes the characters feel more relatable to see them experiencing some continuing emotional fall out - it's so jarring when they don't. 

Completely agree, I don't need constant fallout but acknowledgement goes a long way.

I came across that #GiveBackToStana campaign on tumblr tonight and yeah I have to agree with you. May be she has an emotional attachment to these things, may be not but either way she's a grown woman and has made a decision to give these items away so I wish those fans would let her get on with it. 

This blogger below does artwork on Castle and I love her drawings that pop up on my dash, this are her latest ones for 7.15.

this light in the darkness  -by E and another one reckoning -by E

It was cute before they started thinking it was worth taking cash away from serious causes.

I seriously doubt that the people trying to get that shirt would otherwise have given the money to Doctors Without Borders. In fact, my guess is that the charity aspect is not a big driver and they would be trying to get it even if the money went towards a dress for the next red carpet event. And who's to say that they are even "rich" and are not spending their 401K money (or rent money?!) on this stuff? The urge to get a piece of a celebrity is strong in some people - just look at the obsequious bids for attention on twitter.

I'm not saying it isn't important to feed hungry people, but most scientists not paid by oil companies agree that reducing the burning of fossil fuels and the number of factory farms (among other things) will be the difference between life and death for millions in the coming decades, so I would not assume that getting people out of their cars in a city where most people drive - and many are poor so not BMWs - is a frivolous goal. Other cities where the weather is nowhere as predictable have made great strides in creating bike paths as credible alternatives for commuters, but it has to start with awareness and demand. The car culture in LA is dominant, so I can't imagine it will be an easy task to change it.

I'm sure she's selling it because it it's just a shirt to her but something really special to a (very rich) fan. Why can't anyone just let things be?

Because giving it back to her will get her attention? Which is possibly a driver for those who overbid in the auction the first place. Call me cynical, but I'm never going to be convinced that this is all down to altruism.

Edited by pepper

Yeah, I read their website too, and I still have no clue what they're going to do with the money. I don't begrudge them raising it, but for me, I'd be far more likely to donate with concrete goals and tasks ahead spelled out for the money raised.

Don't non-profits have to list their expenditures every quarter or year? Would be interesting to look at that report and see how the money raised is indeed being spent.

TVWithPity, many of your comments I also nod my head in agreement. 

Yes, S55. If you're really keen, the financial statements of a registered, tax-exempt charity must be filed with the IRS and are available to the public upon request. They are not typically published on the charity's web site.

Stana must be pleased, ATP could forget about their initiative over here there's no chance in hell they'll persuade anyone to get out of cars even for an afternoon.

There is almost no public transportation where I live, so it would be hard to get people to give up cars here too.  Because it's literally not an option in some places, and people still need to go to work and go to the store to buy food and all.  But I think the idea with ATP is encouraging people to do small things so that it adds up to a big difference, as opposed to a charity trying to make a big impact directly. Which seems fine to me, but I probably wouldn't choose to donate to it if I was actually going to donate money to something.

The "we know what's best for Stana more than she does herself" part of the fan group is doing their own fundraising to try and win the shirt and give it back to Stana.

That's kind of creepy.

Amann speaks to Adam Bryant on the possibility of a Caskett baby:

"Beckett is looking ahead," executive producer David Amann tells us. "She's trying to figure out what her next step is, and that encompasses family. She's been driven for the better part of her adult life by the death of her mother, which is now resolved. Her relationship with Castle is settled, so she's at a place now where she really needs to be thinking about, 'What does she want that future to be?' It seems like children are going to naturally be a part of that discussion."

That said, it may still be a while before we see any baby bumps. "These are all good questions that she's asking herself," Amann says. "I don't think she has any of the answers yet, but she's asking the questions because she needs to figure out where she's headed."

• Love 1

So no "Castle I'm pregnant!" as a season finale cliffhanger?  I'm still not ruling that out despite the quote from Amann which says something and nothing, (thanks metaphor) one thing they do know is that babies are a sure fire way of ensuring a vast majority of their audience stay tuned.   It still comes over in their interviews like they haven't a clue really what they're going to do to wrap this season up - everything sounds so vague. 

Whatever ends up happening with her assessing the future (which is completely understandable) I hope to God it doesn't end up being a tired rerun of the DC arc and "it's not about us!" crapola that they force fed me as being organic character development for Beckett. They're a married couple now so it's not all about her any more it's about them assessing their future together. 

Edited by verdana

theCHIVE @theCHIVE  ·  5h 5 hours ago

Reminder: Our podcast with the awesome @NathanFillion launches around midnight right here: http://podcastone.com/Chive-Podcast

Nathan Fillion drops in on theCHIVE to discuss the next Spiderman, his adventures with Ryan Reynolds, fathering the first Martian, and much more! (from the Chive podcast page) 

Edited by verdana

There is almost no public transportation where I live, so it would be hard to get people to give up cars here too.  Because it's literally not an option in some places, and people still need to go to work and go to the store to buy food and all.  But I think the idea with ATP is encouraging people to do small things so that it adds up to a big difference, as opposed to a charity trying to make a big impact directly. Which seems fine to me, but I probably wouldn't choose to donate to it if I was actually going to donate money to something.

We have public transportation it's just not that reliable which it needs to be if you want to encourage people to use the service regularly and another problem is people don't want to wait for a bus they just want to get where they need to go whenever they want so you hop in a car. I'm guilty of that I could walk/cycle to some places but I'm busy and I need to get things done. I have to say it's not something would be first on my donation list either.

And yeah it's kind of creepy that campaign. 

Edited by verdana

That chive podcast is entertaining. LOL at Nathan being thifty by taking the carpet from Lucky Stiff victim's apartment to put in his house. Those must have been some awkward and priceless reactions anytime a fan yelled "the hammer is my penis" to him in public.

I think they are beginning to wrap things up just in case this is the last season. Beckett & Castle are happily married. Bracken & 3XK are resolved. The only thing outstanding is the new mythology & I don't think very many people really care one way or the other about it. Castle has his PI license so if Beckett gets promoted & no longer does field work he could always fall back on that. I expect the series to end with her being Captain & possibly pregnant. The quicker those 2 things happen the closer we are to the end. I'm not saying this feels like the last season but it does feel like a show that is winding down.

Going by NF's podcast and when ATP auctions terms and conditions it looks like they're going to be doubling up some filming towards the end of the season to finish on April 18 and not on the April 20 like it was originally indicated (or they'll just work the Saturday instead of the Monday - helps when I look at the calendar properly).

Edited by Nadine

That chive podcast is entertaining.

And the Ryan Reynold’s tweets got explained. I was curious after reading them, I must admit. I would have throttled him on that boat if I were Reynolds ;-) Hung over and waves? That's a no go.

And there seems to be a certain recurring need to explain that he is indeed not the puppet master behind Castle.

I'm not saying it isn't important to feed hungry people, but most scientists not paid by oil companies agree that reducing the burning of fossil fuels and the number of factory farms (among other things) will be the difference between life and death for millions in the coming decades, so I would not assume that getting people out of their cars in a city where most people drive - and many are poor so not BMWs - is a frivolous goal.

I agree. I would also generally differentiate between humanitarian aid (education, food, water for Third World countries, donations for ecological calamities or war ridden countries) and local (in a broader sense) charities that mostly share the motto: Think global, act local. Both are important. And whereas the big charities in humanitarian aid are usually familiar, it is causes specializing in social and ecological responsibility/ sustainability that are lesser known.

As long as it continues to make the network money they'll keep it going and for all the talk of "artistic" integrity that gets spoken about, I'm sure the two main leads know they're both on to a good thing and they'll sign up for at least another season.

For some reason I can't even begin to guess, ABC has released a screener for this coming Monday's episode. I get that it's sweeps, but this feels very unusual to get so many screeners back to back. Especially for an episode which is essentially filler. I have some thoughts on why they're doing it, but regardless, it's...weird. 

For some reason I can't even begin to guess, ABC has released a screener for this coming Monday's episode. I get that it's sweeps, but this feels very unusual to get so many screeners back to back. Especially for an episode which is essentially filler. I have some thoughts on why they're doing it, but regardless, it's...weird. 

Last new episode until March 16, last Monday of Sweeps and NBC launches second season of The Night Shift (behind The Voice) on the same night. I'm not that surprised they decided to put a screener out.

Edited by Nadine

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a sweeps move. Given that the last 2 worked out well for them, they want to keep up the momentum.

Did The Night Shift do well last season? That's the ER/Grey's Anatomy/General Hospital mashup show, right? That's never gone head to head with Castle, has it? I'm just curious, because everyone I've talked to after seeing commercials says that show looks pretty awful.