Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I loved Hart to Hart, although this reboot is technically Hart to Hartman lol but what is about "free spirited" characters on TV these days? Meh.

I'm just imagining a parody skit where an actress walks into an audition asking if she's playing 'by the book" or "free spirited" today and does tropey stuff accordingly. Unbutton an extra button, sass away if the characters's "free spirited". ;)

Verdana, have you seen this?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddOWdulCerQ

Never watched Hart to Hart so I don't get the references, but I remember this because Amy Poehler and Adam Scott are very talented and funny people (also, go watch Parks and Rec if you haven't!).  Out of curiosity, how long did Hart to Hart do the WT/WT, how did they maintain the UST afterwards?

Jumped into The Mindy Project midway and while the title character may be an acquired taste and I don't always find everything funny, I have to say I think Kaling is doing a great job with the romance in the show.  Taking risks to keep things fresh, and not just happy with safe TV tropes.  It's a smart show.

Edited by madmaverick

Marisa and Matt are the most professional reviewers of the entire bunch.

I note that everyone who's seen the episode seems to have a good impression of the Hayley character.  Will be interesting to see if fandom reacts the same way given the previous uproar from some.

Marisa and Matt are the most professional reviewers of the entire bunch.

Agreed, in an ocean of fangirling and various blogs run by individuals with various axes to grind Matt's the go to guy for me. I miss it when he skips an episode and he's stopped doing previews. He has an clear soft spot for Tory though heh. It's not that I agree with every single thing he says but he knows how to deliver his views in the correct way. I love some of his retorts to the more hysterical elements in the fandom that tweet or comment on his articles, some of them are so rude at times.

I note that everyone who's seen the episode seems to have a good impression of the Hayley character. Will be interesting to see if fandom reacts the same way given the previous uproar from some.

I'm not enthused with the idea of this character because I am concerned she'll take a fair bit of screen time away from the two leads. However, it's only fair to try not to make any harsh judgements until she's had some time to bed in, although saying that I did it with Pi - I hated him on sight. I didn't like Gates much either at first and thought she was a waste of my viewing time but gradually I came around and by the end I was enjoying her contributions although poor Penny was underused, they could have made more of her. 

Edited by verdana

Aww, dig in, verdana.  That sneak is like a cupcake with cream on top. :P  Thanks for the link.

I've missed them.  It's been a long hiatus.  Happy to see that the chemistry is still intact.

Still not a fan of a particular feature of Beckett's wardrobe.  Reminds me of an air stewardess.  

Sometimes I love that Castle is like a cute puppy at Beckett's beck and call; sometimes I don't when he comes off neutered. ;)

Couldn't help thinking that "one potato chip" Beckett  as well as Stana with her figure would not be eating that.  I didn't think it was particularly in character for Beckett to be a one potato chip girl considering how unrestrained she is when it comes to her coffee!

Re Sneak Peek 2:

Hmm.. not sure how I feel about the new PI office decor.  Feels like there's a little too much going on there without a focal point.  Why is there an airplane propeller in the corner?  And it's kinda dark, though I suppose most PI offices on TV go for a more dimly lit ambiance.  It's not instant love like the loft and Castle's office there with the staircase artwork etc., but this could grow on me in time.  I did like the old PI office with more of an old school, noirish vibe.  They were going for a Bond vibe with this new office?  Now if only Castle could get some less boring, suaver clothes to match!  It was cool that there was something behind Poe.  Good thing that Castle's a rich guy with all this!  Looks like they've invested some in this set and it'll be sticking around for a while.

So at least there's an explanation for how Alexis got involved, but I'd still like to see some fatherly concern expressed.

Wow, Castle ranked higher in THR's "Hollywood's 100 Favorite TV Shows" than I expected!  *drumrolls*  Coming in at 42, above many critical darlings and popular shows, past and present.  The rankings came from an anonymous survey of 2800 people in the entertainment industry.  Don't underestimate the power of comfort food TV!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/best-tv-shows-ever-top-819499/item/desperate-housewives-hollywoods-100-favorite-820451  

This will be a feather in Marlowe's cap. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1
I'm seeing posts  that talk about the breakup as if it's true and not just clickbait from TVLine about a TV couple that may or may NOT be Caskett.      I'm happy to go along if we're clear that we're speculating,  and not talking as if a breakup is a done deal and it's Terry and Alexi that don't give a shit about us fans. 

Keep calm, it's almost Monday!

....it is true? Wait for 8x02.

Nope. Alexis. Just no.

Okay I caved and watched the wrong sneak peek. Alexis with her dad. Sigh

We get an explanation alright as to why she's there but based on that brief clip it brings up yet more questions that I doubt the writers intend to answer, I know I'm going to have to accept this sudden development as if its completely normal. 

So hang on a sec, Castle didn't even know his daughter was in his office seeing clients and solving cases? Jesus Christ. Some boss. Does she have a licence to practice like Castle? She's been acting as his "associate" after all. What's happened to her college life paid for by daddy? Guess that's been forgotten about. And even more to the point who is going to hire a 21 year old private eye? Didn't anyone ask where the boss was when they came in? Apparently not they just sat down and let her get on with it, wow. I presume it's not called Castle and Daughter investigations yet is it? But never mind she's already solved four cases despite having no real experience unlike her father but it's Alexis and she's amazing so get a grip and stop bitching.  

I do hope Castle is going to show more fatherly concern than exhibited in that clip about his daughter's welfare, he was easily brushed off here but then again he doesn't need to worry about a young women left alone in his office to face various possibly unsavoury clients because she knows where the gun is and she can shoot them from across the desk if necessary, he has a licence for a firearm right? ARGH!

I do hope they're going to knock this stupid arrangement on the head because it doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. I don't believe for one second the Castle would accept Alexis being involved in this kind of operation under any circumstances unless her contributions were limited to remodelling the office, making the tea and typing up case reports. Furthermore I don't accept that Alexis would gravitate naturally into this often seedy line of business, at least when she interned with Lanie it seemed credible. This feels completely contrived to give Molly something to do and whilst I understand they need to do something, this was not the best way to go about it. 

• Love 1

....it is true? Wait for 8x02.

Well, alrighty then.  I'm going to wait patiently and see what's what, and hold my fire in the meantime.  In the meantime, How 'bout those SP's?    Who else besides me rolled her eyes at Alexis? 

I won't believe a breakup is in the works until I see it or it's confirmed by the actual showrunners...no disrespect to Hal W.    IF this breakup is happening,  I suspect it will be so that any resolution happens during sweeps so we can have a nice, frothy Christmas episode.    Since we're talking about Castle here, I suspect that that any angst is milked for the drama, resolved within three episodes like every other angsty issue they've had, and finished off by a scene that puts the "Always" door scene to shame. 

Okay I caved and watched the wrong sneak peek. Alexis with her dad. Sigh

We get an explanation alright as to why she's there but based on that brief clip it brings up yet more questions that I doubt the writers intend to answer, I know I'm going to have to accept this sudden development as if its completely normal. 

So hang on a sec, Castle didn't even know his daughter was in his office seeing clients and solving cases? Jesus Christ. Some boss. Does she have a licence to practice like Castle? She's been acting as his "associate" after all. What's happened to her college life paid for by daddy? Guess that's been forgotten about. And even more to the point who is going to hire a 21 year old private eye? Didn't anyone ask where the boss was when they came in? Apparently not they just sat down and let her get on with it, wow. I presume it's not called Castle and Daughter investigations yet is it? But never mind she's already solved four cases despite having no real experience unlike her father but it's Alexis and she's amazing so get a grip and stop bitching.  

I do hope Castle is going to show more fatherly concern than exhibited in that clip about his daughter's welfare, he was easily brushed off here but then again he doesn't need to worry about a young women left alone in his office to face various possibly unsavoury clients because she knows where the gun is and she can shoot them from across the desk if necessary, he has a licence for a firearm right? ARGH!

I do hope they're going to knock this stupid arrangement on the head because it doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. I don't believe for one second the Castle would accept Alexis being involved in this kind of operation under any circumstances unless her contributions were limited to remodelling the office, making the tea and typing up case reports. Furthermore I don't accept that Alexis would gravitate naturally into this often seedy line of business, at least when she interned with Lanie it seemed credible. This feels completely contrived to give Molly something to do and whilst I understand they need to do something, this was not the best way to go about it. 

This SP reminded me of the 80's show "Remington Steele".   Where Laura Holt was the investigator and Steele was an imaginary figure head for the first few years.   Laura had an apartment for Steele, clothes, and a business license in his name and solved a whole bunch of cases in the name of someone who didn't really exist.     The show's pilot showed how con man jewel thief with no name (played by a very young Pierce Brosnan) figured out what her game was and stepped into the role.  

So, we have Alexis supervising the remodeling, signing checks and papers, and solving a few simple cases on the side and signing off daddy's name on them.   And she tells her college that she's interning for her dad for the summer.    I liked her better when she was only canoodling with Ashley on the sofa.

Out of curiosity, how long did Hart to Hart do the WT/WT, how did they maintain the UST afterwards?

Casting my mind back into ancient history lol there was no WTWT, I'm sure they started off as a married couple so there was none of that kind of tension. I enjoyed it, Stephanie Powers and Robert Wagner had great chemistry and obviously got on well, I never doubted the Harts were both attracted to each other and in love. They may have been in their silk nightwear but I swear they got up close and personal more often than Castle are allowed to do. They had decent lighting too when they kissed lol! It was of its time, fun and froth with a case solved each week, that was it really, it has enjoyable and "harmless" as my partner likes to call those kind of shows. Minimal secondary cast (just Max their butler) and Freeway the dog. 

And thank you for finding that link I've never seen that before sooo funny! I loved the intro and music to Hart to Hart so watching that was brilliant. 

Hmm.. not sure how I feel about the new PI office decor.  Feels like there's a little too much going on there without a focal point.

Alfred Sole is amazing and I love his work on Castle but I'm not sure why but it's not grabbing me and yeah you may have hit the nail on the head, there's a lot going on there. 

Some people, generally those who didn't like the PI arc, like to attribute the ratings decline to that storyline.  But I could just as well argue based on the data that a lot of people left after the premiere because there was no wedding and no real answers to Castle's out of the blue kidnapping and disappearance.  [...]

Point is, there are any number of reasons why people might decide to tune in or not, some of which might even have nothing to do with Castle.  We have no way of knowing so I would caution against generalisation or coming to conclusions especially if no one here is a ratings professional. 

Exactly! And I don’t really understand how people can blame the PI arc at all.

I’m no statistic expert with significance testing, correlations and stuff like that but I don’t see the connection between low ratings and Castle and Beckett’s first professional break. If I only examine the ups and downs of the ratings (with a sense of cause-effect), I would start with the highest number before a steady decline. After Once Upon A Time the ratings started slowly to decline over the course of the four following episodes. The series low was hit after a 5 weeks break with the episode Castle, P.I.. The following numbers recovered slightly afterwards.

If I were to interpret anything into those numbers (in terms of something significant happened on the show that viewers – 18-49 age range- react to), I would say cause: wedding, effect: declining ratings. Over a run of four episodes. Coincidence? And that the PI arc might had something to do with rekindling some interest to stop further decline of the ratings…:-) But that would be rather bold.

Same thing with claiming nobody is interested in the Mombatross because Belly and Veritas got low ratings (for their season). Although that was even more far-fetched.

This SP reminded me of the 80's show "Remington Steele".   Where Laura Holt was the investigator and Steele was an imaginary figure head for the first few years.   Laura had an apartment for Steele, clothes, and a business license in his name and solved a whole bunch of cases in the name of someone who didn't really exist.     The show's pilot showed how con man jewel thief with no name (played by a very young Pierce Brosnan) figured out what her game was and stepped into the role. 

So, we have Alexis supervising the remodeling, signing checks and papers, and solving a few simple cases on the side and signing off daddy's name on them.   And she tells her college that she's interning for her dad for the summer.    I liked her better when she was only canoodling with Ashley on the sofa.

Heh talk about nostalgia, I've been discussing Hart to Hart with madmaverick and now you bring up Remington Steele. That was another old favourite of mine but I can't recall if things were bit dicey BTS between the two leads....but never mind it was still enjoyable now back to Alexis...I know it's very early days and the episode has yet to air but based on that clip I'm starting to wish she got on better with her mother and they could head off on a permanent around the world shopping spree.  Most kids I know at that age are trying to get away from their parents and doesn't she have ANY friends?  Talk about billy no mates. lol 

It's on the media thread but I'll post it here too, first sneak. I'm determined not to watch them I'll see if I can hold out lol. 

http://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/video/5jf5onh_bqgr_z28iapex8foa4zbyjo1/embed/?t=63

I really enjoyed that. Though I've been rewatching previous seasons over the break, it's great to see new Caskett on my screen. And the chemistry is still wonderful, IMO. 

I think the scene was pretty well written, which is what I expect from TPW, anyway. I like that Beckett's the one who's more reluctant to change their dynamic and wants Castle to still be at the precinct; I think that should play into what will happen at the end of the two-parter. Preview articles have (I think) mostly uniformly mentioned that there's good Caskett, thereby hammering home the whole they really love each other and they don't want to break up/it's all external forces at work scenario. After watching that preview, I kind of wish those two could just stay in that happy, loving bubble forever. But I'm resigned to the writers going in another direction, so I hope they do it well. 

• Love 1
I think the scene was pretty well written, which is what I expect from TPW, anyway. I like that Beckett's the one who's more reluctant to change their dynamic and wants Castle to still be at the precinct;

Haven't watched it but Kate's reluctance reminds me of Chezchuckles Dash series where Kate is secretly desperate for Castle to come back to the precinct like the good old days because she really misses his input and company but they've sort of agreed to this change that he stays at home to write and take care of their son.

What I like about it is that in the past it was Beckett always acting reluctant to have Castle around and he had to push his way in yet now she's loves having him there so it's a nice about face and shows how times have changed. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Not directly Castle related, but did you see this news?

http://tvline.com/2015/09/15/hart-to-hart-reboot-gay-couple-nbc/

Everything's getting rebooted these days! ;) I never saw the original series, but I understand Castle's been compared to it and that show sure sounds similar. Seems like these shows, along with Moonlighting, can never escape the "free spirited" and "by the book" partnership TV trope. Well, what works... Anyone know if they would they be the first gay crime-solving couple? Castle missed the boat by not pairing up Ryan and Esposito lol.

Well, depending on how you view it, Starsky & Hutch were questionably bi. Esp on the bloopers reel.

Sorry for the OT.

Aww, dig in, verdana.  That sneak is like a cupcake with cream on top. :P  Thanks for the link.

I've missed them.  It's been a long hiatus.  Happy to see that the chemistry is still intact.

Still not a fan of a particular feature of Beckett's wardrobe.  Reminds me of an air stewardess.  

I really enjoyed that as well, and agree about the chemistry.  The only bad thing was that tie thing Beckett was wearing.  And does Castle call her "sweetie" in the sneak peak? That seems like a first.

My resolve to not watch a sneak peaks only lasted while I was still at work, but I think I can manage to hold off an watching the Alexis one.

I really enjoyed that as well, and agree about the chemistry.  The only bad thing was that tie thing Beckett was wearing.  And does Castle call her "sweetie" in the sneak peak? That seems like a first.

My resolve to not watch a sneak peaks only lasted while I was still at work, but I think I can manage to hold off an watching the Alexis one.

Yep. I think that was the first time for sweetie. Seemed like he was trying out honey last season, but I guess it never caught on like Beckett's babe. Heh. 

Only watched the Caskett sneak myself. I can wait till the episode to see the new PI's office. 

Exactly! And I don’t really understand how people can blame the PI arc at all.

I’m no statistic expert with significance testing, correlations and stuff like that but I don’t see the connection between low ratings and Castle and Beckett’s first professional break. If I only examine the ups and downs of the ratings (with a sense of cause-effect), I would start with the highest number before a steady decline. After Once Upon A Time the ratings started slowly to decline over the course of the four following episodes. The series low was hit after a 5 weeks break with the episode Castle, P.I.. The following numbers recovered slightly afterwards.

If I were to interpret anything into those numbers (in terms of something significant happened on the show that viewers – 18-49 age range- react to), I would say cause: wedding, effect: declining ratings. Over a run of four episodes. Coincidence? And that the PI arc might had something to do with rekindling some interest to stop further decline of the ratings…:-) But that would be rather bold.

Same thing with claiming nobody is interested in the Mombatross because Belly and Veritas got low ratings (for their season). Although that was even more far-fetched.

Ratings and Alexis continue as such hot button issues. When Castle ratings are down;ratings mean nothing. When Castle ratings are up and steady in the demo; ratings are everything. Ratings aside, the failure of the PI arc and episodes like “Child’s Play” make it clear that separating the two work-wise is a mistake. The less Castle and Beckett are together, the lower the ratings are in both demo and viewership.

But then there is the standard reason: The show is now 8 seasons in, or will be, and every show eventually ages and dies. And while many have stuck around post-wedding, I'm sure there is a subset out there who decided, perhaps, that the wedding was their own ending.

The Moonlighting Curse is a trope, but some tropes do exist for a reason.

Some just aren't interested in what happens after happily-ever-after. Probably why so many books end there.

I'm not saying the show will end tomorrow - and there are exceptions with shows: Two-thirds of the L&O franchise went beyond 15 seasons - with L&O: SVU still hanging on. But one can argue that strict procedurals, which that franchise is/was, versus Castle and the intermittent comedy and fluff, are pretty paint by numbers and one doesn't really have to recall a lot of personal details, so people tend to watch longer.

But we'll never know the exact cause of ratings for certain episodes, although the 'ship and lack of it seems to be the common, popular reason given, whether true, not, or somewhere in between.

• Love 1

Re PI office decor: There is a lot going on there, but I think it serves to hold the visual interest if you aren't caught up in the dialogue.

Yeah probably, it's elaborate, they've spent time and money, I can see Fillion spending a fair bit of time on that set. 

And thank you for finding that link I've never seen that before sooo funny! I loved the intro and music to Hart to Hart so watching that was brilliant.

Me either and it's hilarious. I remember seeing Music by Mark Snow in the credits when it was rerun in the late 80s/early 90s tho The X Files theme was probably more memorable. Remodeled house tour of the Hart to Hart Estate. The last comment cracked me up.

Not feeling the new PI office set. It kinda reminds me of a super dark version of the club owner's office from Last Action Hero complete with probably the same car prop on the shelf behind the chair. I think Keith had more concern for Veronica when she worked cases and she brought Backup with her. At least a lot of Veronica's cases involved her classmates, so who know what Alexis was working on and where she was going by herself to solves these cases.

The Caskett sneak is cute but that weird tie on Beckett has got to go. I know Castle uses pumpkin for Alexis but I thought he used sweetie for her too. Or maybe that was fanfic writers lol. These pet names are gonna get confusing if they don't stick to one.

The Caskett sneak is cute but that weird tie on Beckett has got to go. I know Castle uses pumpkin for Alexis but I thought he used sweetie for her too.

I just find it odd that Luke chose to go with a tie (again).  Is it supposed to be a sign of authority like the stupid calling of Gates as "sir"?  Because there could be feminist commentary about all of that.  I don't find it necessary or aesthetically pleasing, and yes, like an 80s stewardess.

I believe Castle has used sweetie for Alexis in the past, and I was kinda waiting for people to say they were weirded out by it.   I'm fine with it personally.  I think these terms of endearment may be actors' ad libs than written in the script, but who knows.  I didn't see "babe" coming from Beckett, but Stana, yes.  At least Castle's not calling Beckett "kiddo" like Martha calls him lol.

I think the scene was pretty well written, which is what I expect from TPW, anyway.

I find that writers like TPW and Hanning have a better handle on dialogue than Marlowe and Amann, whose lines often didn't have a natural flow to me.

I like that Beckett's the one who's more reluctant to change their dynamic and wants Castle to still be at the precinct; I think that should play into what will happen at the end of the two-parter. 

They joke about Castle being Beckett's puppy, but I like that Castle's the one who is always there to reassure when her usually confident self is in doubt.  I love that dynamic about them.  They sound like they've discussed the changes together in a mature manner.  One would hope that they can continue to do so, no matter what threats befall them.  Everything shows their marriage and relationship to be in such good shape.  Before it all goes to hell, alas.

I really hope Castle's chair is still in the precinct somewhere!  Preferably in Beckett's new office, even if it's for when he visits.  Won't be the same without it. 

Nathan Fillion @NathanFillion

Have you met me? If so, how did it go?

Molly C. Quinn ‏@MollyQuinn93  

I met you 8 yrs ago in a casting room.

You were charming and sweet.

...What happened?  

LOL.

L T ‏@Oftenbob 

@NathanFillion  I feel life is precious. #DoubleDogDare.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPDrWLQUkAA1Fk8.jpg

LT's face cracks me up.  Give the guy more to do.

Anthony Carbajal ‏@carbajalphoto  

Been on the set of @Castle_ABC all day spreading support 4 @ALSTDI Thk  u @Stana_Katic @seamusdever @NathanFillion ❤️

ALS guy who inspired the ice bucket challenge and who's involved with Stana's indie movie was visiting on set.

Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  

Actors I hope to work with @seamusdever @Jon_Huertas @tamalajones   Looking forward to season 8!

Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  

You are only as good as the actors you work with. Thank you all! @NathanFillion @Stana_Katic @MollyQuinn93 and.....

Well, depending on how you view it, Starsky & Hutch were questionably bi. Esp on the bloopers reel.

Really? Lol.  Never watched.  Maybe the same case could be made for Ryan and Esposito, esp on the bloopers reel too heh.

McManda. I expect the network to order another episode later on, they've been doing that for the last few years and if season 8 looks like it will be the last I wouldn't be surprised if they make it up to 24.

Edited by verdana

Well, it worked for the Blues Brothers.....  I remember going to see them in concert in 1980.    They were actually good.    Jury is still out on Shay-Jean.

I think both are looking past S 8 since Jon had a fan re-do his audition reel over the summer, it was a contest and the winning submission won some dinner or something with him, smart way of updating his resume using the fandom who would only use the good clips, Seamus has been heard on talk shows, especially with his wife, talking about life after Castle and how grateful he is for syndication, so we will wait for the ride but I think the train is nearing it's final journey just my opinion,  Thx

CASTLE: OUR SEASON 8 WISHLIST at TV Junkies 

Yes to ending those tiresome interruptions, more Martha, a little bit more of the ensemble is bearable but not too much and a big fat yes to more Caskett sweet moments and those looks.  As for Caskett babies...I know it will happen eventually but I'd prefer that to occur at the very end. 

I don't care to see more badass Becks as that side of her has never done much for me and as for the "bed talks" meh they might as well be sitting the kitchen makes no difference, I'm tired of the swings being a focal point for every momentous moment but a yes to an episode without a murder! Although some fans say that's already been done but I've erased 6.23 from my brain. Heh

Couldn't care less if Espo finds happiness or not and I disagree that it's about time Castle carried a gun around, part of the show's charm and what attracted me to the character was precisely because he wasn't a cop, he's a writer and considering he's so clumsy these days I doubt it would assist him as a PI to carry one.

Edited by verdana

Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  2 hrs2 hours ago

TV Guide Magazine - Returning Favorites: #Castle

https://twitter.com/Sandraxf/status/644536207188324357

(she also has such a knack for riding that thin line between nostalgia and hinting some kind of change is coming. That's just her style I guess lol).

I thought she crossed that line with her series of "goodbye" tweets and instagram pics at the end of S7 when contract negotiations were still ongoing, it drove a lot of fans into a feeding frenzy about her future, that got irritating after a while. 

• Love 1
oks Olagundoye ‏@ToksOlagundoye  14 hrs14 hours ago

Toks Olagundoye retweeted Leatah

Pfffft. Just try to stop me! #Castle #LiveTweet

Good luck, you are inviting the crazy in. lol

Edited by verdana

I thought she crossed that line with her series of "goodbye" tweets and instagram pics at the end of S7 when contract negotiations were still ongoing, it drove a lot of fans into a feeding frenzy about her future, that got irritating after a while.

I really think that's just her way of giving the fans what they want (ie: more social media posts from her) without potentially offending anyone or exposing too much of her life. Plus, it makes her look pretty good in terms of how she feels about her work and her coworkers, so it's pretty win/win for everyone involved, except maybe for the people that read too much into them.

It sucks that people (not here) make such a big deal about them, though.