Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I think at this point the only thing that hasn't happened is a blimp flying over the studio saying "they are breaking up". Not trying to be a dick, but the longer people deny it the more angry and disappointed you will be and probably not even because of the story itself but if you convince yourself it would never ever ever ever happen. 

I get not wanting to be baited by TVLine (who like I suspected took a lot of advantage with the way worded things)

But yeah, it's all about hitting the reset button this season. 

Are we really talking about a full on reset here, though, halwideman? I've been trying to keep an open mind about the break up, understanding that even married-and-in-love couples can go through really rough patches sometimes and have to take a step back. But I would have a very tough time swallowing a total reset of the central relationship of the show.

(edited)

I guess my fear is not about a breakup but more about the reasons as to why they feel the need to hit the reset button in s8. I'm kind of reluctant to watch a do-over with a couple who really should be over the WTWT phase which takes me back to my big fear.....this is been done to accommodate a "permanent" change (odds being a Beckett-less Castle) that I already know I won't like and won't wanna watch. I don't not want to watch Castle - I love Castle but if either Stana or Nathan want out I would rather say goodbye to Castle than watch some bastardised, half baked version where Beckett and Castle don't get their happy ending!

I hope I am wrong but my spidey senses have been tingling for months now and as time goes on they only tingle stronger.

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 1

I guess my fear is not about a breakup but more about the reasons as to why they feel the need to hit the reset button in s8.

Or what could happen that explains why Beckett and Castle would forget their wedding vows after less than a year.  Because everything I've come up with has one or both of the characters looking bad.

Desperate times call for desperate.....storylines?

I mean if you have to do something that drastic to keep the show "interesting" maybe it's time to call it a day? Especially when you know the choices are gonna piss off a fair number of your audience!

• Love 1
(edited)

I have a feeling, years from now, we'll find out (or it will be confirmed for some people) that the goings on BTS of Castle was far more entertaining than what happened onscreen. ESPECIALLY in these last couple seasons.  The Good Wife fans will understand exactly what I mean. BTS goings on bleeding onto the screen and affecting story. 

Assuming it has to do with how they feel about each other (i.e. needing time apart, not loving one another, cheating, etc) it clouding your judgement.

I didn't and don't think this breakup will have anything to do w. them not loving each other or especially cheating. My thinking was it has something to do w. protecting each other from something dangerous ... which I call bullshit on. If Beckett didn't walk away from Castle when Bracken was on her ass than what in the world could cause her to do so now? 

Honestly? I'm not really phased by a breakup b/c watching season 7, I found myself questioning why the hell Beckett was w. Castle to begin w. Season of buffoonish Castle in full effect got me to that line of thinking. Sadly, I don't believe Castle and Beckett as an in love, loving, couple anymore. The chemistry is changed ... I.E (for me) it's just not there anymore. 

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 2
(edited)

Perhaps a reset button was the wrong word. It's about doing the same thing, but starting in a different place. 

Like I have said before, the reason why you guys are so concerned is because you keep thinking too much about the break up. Assuming it has to do with how they feel about each other (i.e. needing time apart, not loving one another, cheating, etc) it clouding your judgement.

All I can say is that in my mind, it doesn't ruin the characters, (which was a concern of mine) in fact it's quite in character if you ask me. But I know people will be upset and say "but it didn't have to be that way"

But that's the point of a story, it could go so many different ways, but this the path.

Once again not being a dick but I think when you see it most of you will be like "oh duh, how did I not figure that out"

Now before I have to start deleting my posts I'm going to sit on my hands!

The only thing I can really think of that fits that is a split to protect one of the other (or maybe protect Alexis and/or Martha).  Either as an act for some new big bad villain or with only one of them having knowledge of it.  Which could work if done well.   I wouldn't really call a split like that a "break up," but then, I don't work for TVLine.  The script doesn't really seem like that's the case, but there's not much to go on.

And Hal, I don't expect you to confirm/deny that, I'm just thinking out loud (with my hands).

I know you guys don't hold writers in high regard but give them a little credit ;)

I think if they didn't interact at all it would suggest the writers aren't totally in control.  Cause I do give them some credit.

Edited by KaveDweller

I think if they had nothing to do with one another there would be no show.

I know you guys don't hold writers in high regard but give them a little credit ;)

I just hope they can keep the funny/comedy present.....it's a key part of Castle, both the show and the character.  Without the funny I don't know if I would still wanna watch.  That's what I am most curious about....how do they achieve a breakup and maintain the fun?? A lot of fans like the fun......how can a breakup not weigh that down?

• Love 2

A lot of fans like the fun......how can a breakup not weigh that down?

Maybe by handing the fun off to Ryan, Esposito and the new characters (with perhaps some Martha snarky commentary)? I'm not saying that's how I would want the humor included, but maybe it's the only way...?

Yep that's definitely an option but talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel ;)  Still, I'm willing to wait and see.  I'm not gonna write off any idea until I see it play out....I do want to give the writers some credit....if they can actually juggle knives successfully I will be the first to stand up and applaud!

In my total ignorance of the show business, getting that producer credit and moving to direct some episodes would be a very smart move for any actress.

SK is still a youngster, of course, but having some experience on the other side of the camera would allow her to work on a wider variety of artistic projects.

As Lorelei Lee said, "Men grow cold as a girl grows old, and we all lose our charms in the end.'

NF has said he isn't much interested in writing or directing, although his involvement with ConMan may change his mind. That does seem more like a Tudyk/Haarsma project though. NF was there as the saleable face.

I'd love to see SK direct a few episodes. But I'd like to see what Jon and Seamus would do too. Perhaps when their own character-centric episodes come up? I really liked the Mad Men episodes that John Slattery directed.

• Love 1

In my total ignorance of the show business, getting that producer credit and moving to direct some episodes would be a very smart move for any actress.

SK is still a youngster, of course, but having some experience on the other side of the camera would allow her to work on a wider variety of artistic projects.

As Lorelei Lee said, "Men grow cold as a girl grows old, and we all lose our charms in the end.'

NF has said he isn't much interested in writing or directing, although his involvement with ConMan may change his mind.

He doesn't have the same stakes as she does. We've already seen that he doesn't have to — let's say put an excessive amount of effort into his physical appearance? — to be a leading man.

(edited)
Andrew Bikichky ‏@AndrewBikichky  20h20 hours ago

#Castle Ep802

Dir. Paul Holahan

Script @AlexiHawley @OldManWinter14

Nathan Fillion ‏@NathanFillion  21h21 hours ago

So much awesome today. But I’m sworn to secrecy, so…

Edited by verdana

I believe Nathan is referring to the fact he spent the day with The Muppets yesterday. I think maybe filming an ABC Fall promo. Both his PA Michelle and GF Krista posted pictures of themselves with various Muppets. Call me an old cynic but Nathan would never refer to a day spent on the Castle set as "awsome"!!

(edited)

Wonder if this is speculation on her part of based on real info (and if the latter, if she meant to post it publicly):

@missxooley: I'm not too sure I buy into the Senate race direction. you? #castle #CastleSeason8

@missxooley: @makinnahcamp @xfkirsten looks like a super cheap and badly executed scramble to write something when the season 8 contract wars started.

@missxooley: @xfkirsten totally breaks it. Not a plausible scenario. An attempt to spin her off...???? @makinnahcamp

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
If the story is that she signed only after getting guaranteed quality writing, and is now a producer to boot, wouldn't fans have the basis to judge her for that?

Nah, that's never going to happen because to those who push that narrative, Stana only ever gets all the credit and none of the blame.  If the writing doesn't work out this season, she'll be a "victim" either of what the network wants, or what her dastardly costar wants. ;)  Personally, unless we have actual knowledge that the actors are directly responsible for any storylines, I am holding the writers responsible for the writing and not anyone else.

I must admit, sometimes, I think it already is too much. We get it. Beckett is smart, Beckett is brave, Beckett is great captain material. I am not shading the character, but Marlowe and Company did her no favors making her so OTT fantasy material.

And you forget, Beckett is Beautiful.  I mean, of course she is.  But I don't really need cops, criminals and billionaire internet moguls being mesmerized by her beauty within minutes of meeting her.  Compliments from these random 3rd parties don't do anything for me.  All I want to see is Castle being appreciative of Beckett's beauty and other qualities, and vice versa, and the writers could certainly work on making more of those moments.  It doesn't even always have to be verbal.  Less can be more, subtle appreciation can be more powerful.  From the beginning, it was clear that Beckett was smart and brave, and I liked that, but I never felt like I was being hit over the head with it until later on when the references to such qualities became increasingly heavy handed and excessive.  I swear I'm going to roll my eyes hard if we have another random important guy compliment Beckett and say they've their eye on her or something like that next season.  That moment where the political guy complimented Beckett in the hospital was cringeworthy writing.  I really hope they can go back to less anvils and a defter touch next season.  It wouldn't hurt if she had some early missteps if she's promoted as Captain, which would be realistic, and even set straight by a subordinate like Ryan.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh God, I really hope not.  I had thought the ill conceived Senate campaign idea was put out to pasture.

And I don't see how even that could explain any personal break up for Castle and Beckett after he was so supportive of her in the finale, like he always is, whatever she chose to do.

I'd been expecting that any break up was really a professional one than a personal one, because I still simply cannot fathom any reasons that would lead to a break up or time out in their personal relationship.  But are we to assume that it really is a personal break up?  I really can't fathom them going in that direction to reset the show and bring back some desired WTWT dramatic tension.  Doesn't make sense for them to treat that path again when we've already been there done that.  A story engine to bring back some drama and heat to the relationship is not a bad idea (like what they did with the PI arc), but it's going to take a LOT of convincing for any temporary breakup in their marriage to be chosen as a dramatic engine. They have been SO solid as a married couple; a breakup is really not plausible to me at this moment.  I welcome any ideas from fellow posters that would make such an event plausible, if not palatable. ;)

I do want to give the writers some credit.  The problem is, I haven't felt that they've written the angsty arcs (termed loosely) particularly well in the past.  Certainly not the ones where Caskett were nasty to each other and at odds.  The angsty moment that really worked for me was the S2 finale, but a lot of the stuff since then has left me cold and frustrated.  The whole S4 secrets arc (each trying to do right by the other person by keeping a secret/lying) did not work for me.  It never made sense to me that they couldn't just talk it over.  Still pretending I have amnesia over Castle's douchebag arc.  Beckett's angsty arc about not knowing where the relationship was headed, and keeping her job offer a secret was another dud.  Again, they could have just had a real conversation.  No manufactured drama was necessary and what they did manufacture was annoying, not compelling.  So yeah, I want to give the writers credit, but their track record in writing angst does not exactly inspire my confidence.  If they are setting up for a new angsty arc, then I need for Caskett to talk it out like mature adults and there's simply no way that makes more sense than what the writers have decided.  Breaking up because it's the best for each other and they still love each other tends to make no sense to me.

BellyLaughter, just want to say I love your name.  Have a feeling we'll be needing some of that this season. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1
Oh God, I really hope not.  I had thought the ill conceived Senate campaign idea was put out to pasture.

Here's a shocking idea, can't we go back to them solving quirky, fun murder cases each week?

Beckett would be political road kill and if Castle had any sense he'd tell her that as a caring husband watching out for his wife, it would be a lousy choice as a possible big story arc. I can't think of anything more boring than watching her attempt to negotiate her way through the back stabbing world of politics. 

• Love 1

I believe Nathan is referring to the fact he spent the day with The Muppets yesterday. I think maybe filming an ABC Fall promo. Both his PA Michelle and GF Krista posted pictures of themselves with various Muppets. Call me an old cynic but Nathan would never refer to a day spent on the Castle set as "awsome"!!

That was my first indication he was not on the Castle set - he referred to the day as awesome then I saw that before he even posted that his PA and girlfriend had already given the game away with one picture and then proceeded with more.

(edited)

Hey the muppets!  God that brings back some memories, loved The Muppet Show. Thanks for the heads up axj73 found them.

1d
michellechapman333Wait! My new crush. He's the dreamiest. :) @themuppets @themuppetsabc

https://instagram.com/p/5sa3TojJZ9cOFaA7Rf30zGVA_fHpZ9fjWe1Wg0/

kristaallenxoThis guy!!! ❤️ He's toadally cool. @themuppetsabc @themuppets

https://instagram.com/p/5sOU6LQeUl/

Edited by verdana

Even if I buy into the idea that Beckett would really want a career in politics (I don't) ... I don't understand why that would lead to the assumption that they were trying to "spin her off". Who? Beckett? Of the who contract wars (if they was a war), Stana was the one that everyone assumed was on the verge of walking, presumably for a movie career or a different character. Why would it be a good idea to spin her off into her own show?

A former art director might still have friends on set and might be getting inside info, but mostly it just sounds like speculation that the whole setup for S8 (senate run vs captain) was poorly executed when they found out that they were actually going to get a S8. It was a good way to end the series where thy didn't have to follow through, but then when it turned out they did ... it's not so great anymore.

(edited)

To me these tweets sound as if she just watched the season finale and is musing aloud. She talks matter of fact. What would be the point of asking her followers what they think of the Senate thing (if it's actually being done), when she knows that nothing aired yet and no one of her followers knows anything?

Edited by Gant
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did they get to go to space camp and play in a zero G simulator?! That would be so cool. (But it's probably a special effect ... I feel like Stana (and probably Nathan and Jon, too) would have been all over talking about how awesome that day was.)

Also, I can't fault Nathan too hard for thinking spending the afternoon with The Muppets was awesome. I think pretty much anyone would have felt the same.

Edited by McManda

Nah, that's never going to happen because to those who push that narrative, Stana only ever gets all the credit and none of the blame.  If the writing doesn't work out this season, she'll be a "victim" either of what the network wants, or what her dastardly costar wants. ;)  

Yeah, but often people who worship stars like that can turn really quickly if they think they've been "betrayed." Then they can't stop talking about how awful said celebrity really is.  I'm not saying it will happen with Stana, but it does happen.

BellyLaughter, just want to say I love your name.  Have a feeling we'll be needing some of that this season. 

It's funny you should say that because that's exactly what I had in mind when choosing my username when I signed up!!  

(edited)

Also, wouldn't a break up cause issues with a campaign? They don't really go together.

Yeah it's not ideal, although the media would have a field day in any case irrespective of a possible break up which would make any political campaign an uphill struggle.  I wouldn't like to be her PR manager having to put a positive spin on everything.  

• Her father is a recovering alcoholic.
  • Her mother was murdered in a big bad conspiracy and her former Captain and turned out to be corrupt, he was also killed.
  • She was once married to a complete douche in Vegas but never realised it was legal for 15 years. 
  • Castle's father worked for the CIA as did Castle for a time doing "research". 
  • She was fired/left (the writers can't decide) from the FBI for leaking confidential information 
  • She was suspended for a time from the NYPD for going rogue and Castle was also banned for a time. 
  • Her husband disappeared on the day of their wedding for three months and couldn't remember what he'd been up to (but he did save the world so that earns them brownie points).
  • Her husband was a prime suspect in a murder case, was arrested, escaped custody and went on the run.
  • Her husband's lifestyle before he met her would provide acres of gossip with people coming out the woodwork to tell all.
  • The Nikki Heat books.

And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are other things any political rival/enemy could capitalise on to ruin her chances because of her high profile marriage and the various scrapes they've both got into over the years. 

Edited by verdana

@ThatsSoAbbyBlog: @missxooley agree. Are you referring to the potential of the story line as implied in S7 or do you know this is the S8 direction?

@missxooley: @ThatsSoAbbyBlog potential. I worked in Artdept 3 seasons no longer on it. even if I was i wouldnt have been privy to story line direction

Toks wins Twitter again:

In Norway trolls can be good luck.... But I may have to start blocking them on #Twitter... #GetALife #PreferablyNotInYourMothersBasement

• Love 1

I like her come backs to these rude, ignorant so called "fans" but I still say it would be best to ignore/block the comments and let them stew. It will get worse I fear no matter what she ends up doing on the show.  

Prediction (ignoring parts of Season 7 for my own entertainment):

So, Castle is a member of a secret society. Last year he was approached to play an active part in a secret mission (you don’t say no to Secret Societies) that due to undisclosed circumstances went wrong, and he had to be extracted. His memory was supposedly wiped. Or was he just pretending to have lost part of his memory?

Enter Beckett finding out about it, naturally not thrilled about it, hence the breakup. She loves him but how can she trust him ever again?

The answer is Lazarus, the man behind the Dragon, either in tune with the Secret Society or their sworn enemy. Beckett and Castle team up again to once and for all end his evilness.

And so endeth the cosmic version of why Castle and Beckett have come together. Although I’m not sure what’s the plan for all those episodes in between…But I like it.

Sonik Tooth, I can see that you are well versed in TV mythology heh.  Your speculation could well be!

So, Castle is a member of a secret society.

For some reason, my mind went straight to Dead Poets' Society heh.  Maybe because Castle's a writer?  And now I'm thinking about the Secret Society of Santas that he pitched a while back.  Okay, if there has to be a secret society, please let it be a cool secret society!  Want to bet it has an acronym?  I did get a kick out of the 'Thai food is pleasing to the tougue' codephrase from S2 since I still remember it now, even though I think Castle's CIA buddy was just indulging him.

Last year he was approached to play an active part in a secret mission (you don’t say no to Secret Societies) that due to undisclosed circumstances went wrong, and he had to be extracted. His memory was supposedly wiped. Or was he just pretending to have lost part of his memory?

You don't say no to Secret Societies, at least fictional ones that's true, but I hope he hasn't been lying about his amnesia.  That really would be hard for Beckett to forgive.  Ignoring the part where said Secret Societies just have to come ruin your wedding day. ;)

She loves him but how can she trust him ever again?

Tagline for S8?  Feels like S1 cliffhanger after Castle broke Beckett's trust by looking into her mom's case x100.

Private Practice alum Ann Cusack has landed a provocative guest-starring role in Castle‘s Season 8 premiere.

I confess I didn't know John and Joan had another sibling who was an actor also.  She's got the look as a head honcho for a top secret organization.  Maybe I'm thinking too much about Bond and M.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the actress will appear in the second half of the two-part season opener as Rita, a member of a top-secret organization who drops into Beckett’s life with a unique set of skills… and an unexpected connection to Castle.

When I first read that, I thought Rita would be another family member in the biz, sister to Dad.  Beckett has Aunt Theresa and Castle has Aunt Rita, aka secret service spy heh.  Wonder if Rita will be recurring.  

The answer is Lazarus, the man behind the Dragon, either in tune with the Secret Society or their sworn enemy. Beckett and Castle team up again to once and for all end his evilness.

I would rather not there be a tie in to Bracken again because it really would be too coincidental, and I'd rather anything cosmic between Caskett have nothing to do with having a mutual sworn enemy.

Obviously, the Castle writers have decided to take Castle to more 'imaginative' realms.  I don't mind a secret society as long as they don't half ass it and really follow through with it.  I'm not going to care much about it if we hear about it in the 2 parter and then not again until season end.

So it looks like they really are investing in some new mythology between this Rita character, Hayley and the (mole?) techie Vikram.

Between all the secret societies and conspiracies and probable double crossing, I hope the show remembers to have fun and light heartedness.  Although I am not sure how they will accomplish that if Caskett break up in a personal sense.

Is Castle trying to go from a dramedy procedural to a spy show? Sleeper is the episode that jumped all the sharks and where I got off the train - haven't watched an episode since. Judging by season 8 spoilers & tidbits? I need not return. Y'all enjoy though.

• Love 1

Sonik Tooth, I can see that you are well versed in TV mythology heh.  Your speculation could well be!

I’ve been studying the TV Tropes site, all the while waiting patiently for the right spoilers to come out to pitch it to the public :-)

Between all the secret societies and conspiracies and probable double crossing, I hope the show remembers to have fun and light heartedness.  Although I am not sure how they will accomplish that if Caskett break up in a personal sense.

I’ve been trying to come up with shows that dealt with similar trust issues but it seems I’ve either watched very few shows in my life or I’m rather forgetful. Maybe the fun and light heartedness takes a more acerbic turn at the beginning of this season and softens over the course of the episodes? As for shows on the more dramatic side than Castle, there are some that find fun and light heartedness in each episode. I find that even more appealing or rewarding.

So it looks like they really are investing in some new mythology between this Rita character, Hayley and the (mole?) techie Vikram.

Oh ja, I like the mole part! Something they haven’t done before unless you include Montgomery’s betrayal into that category.

I would rather not there be a tie in to Bracken again because it really would be too coincidental, and I'd rather anything cosmic between Caskett have nothing to do with having a mutual sworn enemy.

I’ve been asking myself “What about Lazarus?” since Belly of the Beast, so I would be on the welcoming side if they tie up loose ends. (They haven’t, have they?) And I wasn’t a fan of Veritas (except the arrest of Bracken in the end), therefore I would like “another ending” of the Mombatross story.

Is Castle trying to go from a dramedy procedural to a spy show? Sleeper is the episode that jumped all the sharks and where I got off the train - haven't watched an episode since. Judging by season 8 spoilers & tidbits? I need not return. Y'all enjoy though.

I sure don’t hope the new season adopts the tone of Sleeper - from funny “Hello, I’m Richard from Thailand” to the overly dramatic/heroic/idiotic conclusion and the cringeworthy dialogue between Beckett and Castle at the end. Unless it was all meant in a humorous way, but then, I didn’t get it.

I’ve been asking myself “What about Lazarus?” since Belly of the Beast, so I would be on the welcoming side if they tie up loose ends. (They haven’t, have they?) And I wasn’t a fan of Veritas (except the arrest of Bracken in the end), therefore I would like “another ending” of the Mombatross story.

Wasn't Bracken Lazarus? So presumably when he was arrested all the drug stuff came out too.  I wish they'd mention the trial or something (it probably still wouldn't have happened right? The court system is slow).  If a real life senator got arrested on those kinds of charges there would be tons of press for months/years after the fact.

• Love 2

The "unexpected connection to Castle" has me immediately thinking long lost relative coming out the woodwork that he never knew about - classic TV trope and they're duly ticking them all off. I'm calling it now Spydaddy has got another family (which wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility) and one of them suddenly appears and of course she's got super duper secret skills too. Oh boy. 

The "top secret organisation" bit had me giggling for some reason, I hope whatever the reveal is I don't end up sniggering and/or eye rolling. Seems worrying like an extension to the Castle mythology which I need like a hole in the head.

Yeah I thought Bracken was Lazarus but then I may have zoned on all that, I agree with you about the court system and publicity but then the writers often choose to bother with reality. When Castle got arrested in Probable Cause there wasn't a peep out of any one in the media and something should have leaked out but we heard nothing. This is a much bigger story and yet I would never know he'd been arrested, all it takes is one or two mentions every so often when it's appropriate to keep fans clued in, hardly onerous.

Edited by verdana
Between all the secret societies and conspiracies and probable double crossing, I hope the show remembers to have fun and light heartedness.  Although I am not sure how they will accomplish that if Caskett break up in a personal sense.

I'm sure whatever the cause of any split, the writers will stress constantly to the fans (wondering why this had to happen after less than than a year of wedded bliss) the many wonderful storytelling opportunities and chances for light hearted fun they'll be as the writers "explore" Castle and Beckett as individuals and show fans how they're so perfect for each other whilst ignoring the fact it would be far easier (and more satisfying) if they did this whilst they were together. Sigh. 

Edited by verdana

I can't come up with a plausible reason that leads to a breakup. Either one needs to protect the other or if we'll stick to tv tropes and take the episode titles and Stana's statement about brother and sister into consideration - they find out they are related somehow.

Am I glad I emotionally checked out of the show in season 6.

--

Enter Beckett finding out about it, naturally not thrilled about it, hence the breakup. She loves him but how can she trust him ever again

--

Sounds good too but how can they work together after that and wouldn't the others be mad at him, too? In my eyes that would tear up the entire unit. Beckett still works with the boys and castle gets a new team? That might work for a couple of episodes and it's been there done that. Same goes with Caskett. Do they go back to the banter and sexual tension from season 1-3? So far it doesn't really sound that appealing.

Edited by cappuccino

A breakup of this proportion only strengthens the supposition that the "Moon Lighting" curse is very real and Castle is the latest victim.  

MilMar bailed. David Amann out on his ass. TPW and AH  in as a last ditch stand to save the bacon.

'Veritas" should have been the end. "For Better or WORSE"  was a killing blow.(worst episode ever?)

"Hollanders Woods" is the set-up for season 8. Nothing to see here,move along. Of course I'll watch but with very low expectations.

Edited by Hipshooter

The "unexpected connection to Castle" has me immediately thinking long lost relative coming out the woodwork that he never knew about - classic TV trope and they're duly ticking them all off. I'm calling it now Spydaddy has got another family (which wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility) and one of them suddenly appears and of course she's got super duper secret skills too. Oh boy.

Oddly enough, the TV trope of Previously Unknown Family Member is one that might go some way (well, maybe inches) toward reconciling me to otherwise depressing speculation about S8. Given SpyDaddy's lengthy absence from Castle's life, other offspring are at least within the realm of possibility (or even probability), unlike all that amnesia nonsense. Also, besides giving both Beckett and Castle something else to contend with in terms of their feelings, it at least should provide Alexis and Martha (especially Martha, and about damn time!) some really good scenes and maybe even storylines (mirabile dictu).

I'm mostly given up on following any news about the new season because it's all speculation and no fun at this point anyway, but from what I gleaned Ann Cusack is playing a character in one (well, two since the first two episodes are a 2-parter) episode. She's probably not all that important, despite how much they hype up her character. Remember when Henry Jenkins was supposed to be new guy on the show? He showed up in, what ... three episodes? And it turns out he wasn't all that interesting anyway. My guess is the same will hold true for Ann Cusack.

Wasn't Bracken Lazarus? So presumably when he was arrested all the drug stuff came out too.  

That must have escaped my mind immediately after I watched the episode. So Bracken aka the Dragon aka Lazarus. But not to ruin my story (with your logic), there could have been someone higher up, pulling the strings on a far greater scheme.

Sounds good too but how can they work together after that and wouldn't the others be mad at him, too? In my eyes that would tear up the entire unit. Beckett still works with the boys and castle gets a new team? That might work for a couple of episodes and it's been there done that. Same goes with Caskett. Do they go back to the banter and sexual tension from season 1-3? So far it doesn't really sound that appealing.

I don’t know. Maybe the goal of his „mission“ is pretty convincing, so they are holding that in a higher regard eventually (some sooner, some later). After Sleeper, I never thought they would touch upon his disappearance again. But apparently they do.

It’s just that some clues so far on what might happen next season, are pointing towards a revised strategy and some restructuring (as in new theme and new team(s)). I don’t think it’s back to normal precinct work because there would be no need to drop Gates. Beckett replacing Gates as Captain is also debatable, at least I have no idea how she would fit into the COTW.