Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

(edited)

Revisiting a former case in the perspective of having it gone to court would be an interesting idea for a flashback/bottle episode. It's something I didn't realize I wanted until now.

It's definitely something I would love to see - of course the Bracken trial would have been the ultimate but with Jack filming Heroes that kind of went out the door. 

In terms of supporting characters for S8, I'd assume after Molly met with Alexi yesterday she was probably given her information about where they want to take Alexis in S8.

Edited by Nadine

The Bracken trial would have been ultimate, but I'm kinda okay with where they ended that.

If they did a gone-to-court scenario [especially if it were to be a bottle/flashback episode like Still], I'd like them to choose a case that was a little less low-key, but still interesting. Revisiting the Nikki Heat case (Tick/Boom) would be interesting and nostalgic. Or any other case that held the audience attention and didn't end with the killer admitting guilt. (It's actually harder than I thought to come up with an example but I was up a lot of last night with extreme weather warnings and because of that my brain is kinda slow tonight.)

They should do a case where the killer didn't ultimately confess. I even remember one where Beckett said the killer was going to take his chances with a jury, I just can't remember which episode it was (I don't pay that much attention to the cases).. If the writers can't remember, they could write an episode at the beginning of S8 that is solved but with no confession, then revisit that later in the season.  Now that they've wrapped up Bracken and 3XK (and Castle's stupid disappearance) they need something else to bring up in sweeps.  Or they could do a new case and tell it totally from the perspective of the jurors, with us seeing "flashbacks" when Beckett testifies.  It would be like the episode of Without a Trace that they did from the perspective of the victims family.

I actually don't think they could have done Bracken's trial that well, so I'm glad we didn't see that.  It would have been nice to get a mention of Bracken's status though.  And it would be interesting to see them try and explain how one tape recording brought him down, but that may be asking too much for the writers.

The bold is what changes everything.

You remember correctly and that is all still true. Not going back on that. Also not suggesting anything like the latter in the contracts.

But there is another piece of doing a show, which is when writing what will make actor(s) happy and what will they do and they have more power when without them the network would have no show and said Network wants to keep the show. Nothing to do with contracts literally.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.  I think that shows doing things to make actors happy happens in a lot of professions, whenever someone is in a position of power.  I hope that on Castle we're not at the level of actors completely dictating the story lines though.  

I agree it would be just awful to try and do the show with only one of the leads, but ABC has ruined shows I like before.  If it happens for S9 I won't be watching. But it is way to early to be worrying about that.

I think the show shies away from the "Order" end of things since, let's face it, the "Law" part isn't all that realistic to begin with. All the cases on this show would be tossed if just because Castle isn't a cop.  :-)  So I think it tends to stay safely away from a courtroom.

(edited)

The problem for me is when the BTS crap starts to increasingly show through in what I see on screen with the decisions that get taken on various levels from screen time of the leads to script decisions. Sounds like S8 could end up suffering because of this problem which isn't good news for the fans who in the main don't give a shit about all that they just want to watch Castle and Beckett having fun and fighting crime together on a Monday night.  Pity it can't be that simple but this is Hollywood and that's just the way it is. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3
(edited)

But mostly. More Martha. That conman husband for example....

Didn't she have two of them? I can't recall offhand but she's had an interesting past lets say and it's ripe for some good storytelling that would let Susan stretch her acting legs for once. Never understood why they didn't focus on that side of things more it seemed an obvious area to explore because they could also have tied that in with Rick's upbringing (peeling that Castle onion...) as they've sprinkled a few hints here and there in the past about how he was brought up with all these various "dads" etc. Nathan and Susan could really make something out of it, tone down the funny and give me some poignant moments.  

Revisiting a former case in the perspective of having it gone to court would be an interesting idea for a flashback/bottle episode. It's something I didn't realize I wanted until now.

And it's also cheap to produce and considering that budgetary constraints are becoming an issue as the show ages then it's a great way of watching those pennies but also giving your actors (and the fans) something different from the norm.

Another bottle style episode they could do is where they don't have a murder to solve that day which is what Stana suggested might be an interesting concept to try, although as they're meant to be in New York that might be stretching it a little for believability but then again it's what you do with the writing that counts. 

Kate was seen preparing for some big court case in Headhunters (?) and I always wanted to know more about that than the actual episode as it turned out which did nothing for me. 

I think the show shies away from the "Order" end of things since, let's face it, the "Law" part isn't all that realistic to begin with. All the cases on this show would be tossed if just because Castle isn't a cop.  :-)  So I think it tends to stay safely away from a courtroom.

Whilst I get the inherent problem in having Castle go courtside when the show hardly adheres to correct police procedure it could work okay if they're smart enough to avoid certain pitfalls and concentrate on the characters and having an engaging story. According to Lee Lofland Castle is considered to be a cop as good as or at least an agent of the NYPD which might work in their favour in a court scenario.

I can hand wave quite a lot if the story itself is involving and I think many fans probably would do so quite willingly if the story was engaging enough. Too many times the cases are pretty meh and when my attention drifts that's when I start picking up on things they're not getting right. In the past there was probably quite a few things wrong but the cases were so much better that I never noticed and what's more didn't care.  

In terms of supporting characters for S8, I'd assume after Molly met with Alexi yesterday she was probably given her information about where they want to take Alexis in S8.

Quite a few fans out there I'll bet will be hoping he told her Alexis was heading on an exchange program abroad.

I hope for Molly's sake it's good news and they give her something to do that makes me want to see more not less of her. In the past she's fallen foul of some pretty crappy storytelling which has been unceremoniously shelved leaving her character in limbo and in need of some rehabilitation. 

Edited by verdana

I didn't know that it was confirmed one was willing and one wasn't. All I know is that they both signed one year deals, which suggests both aren't sure if they'll want to continue.

I wouldn't take anything as confirmation at this point, because things can always change unless it's written in black and white.  What you want a year ago may well be different from what you want a year later.  And I think a lot of people can say things they don't 100% mean to sweeten the atmosphere and the pot during negotiations.

If there's a rift between Stana and Nathan, so much so that they can't stand even working with one another, I'd be most interested in knowing why. They seemed friendly enough when the series started.

Well, one logical guess would be that they were friendly, hooked up, and it ended badly.

Well, that's been the predominant theory in the fandom for a while now.  It's a logical guess.  Sigh.   

I don't think that it's so much those involved with the show think fans don't know what may be happening; surely, they know that the nature of Nathan and Stana's relationship has been the subject of intense speculation for years in the fandom.  Everyone involved with the show just knows better than to comment on it.  I mean, TGW showrunners and writers and actors must have known about whatever was going on with JM and AP, and it even attracted mainstream media speculation in the end.  But no one involved ever commented.  It's probably standard protocol not to comment and pretend that nothing is ever a problem.  

You would think they both don't need to be true, but if 2) is a negative, then 1) is irrelevant because it's not about "can" it's about "will".

Not sure I understand you completely here.  But even if 2 actors don't want to be near each other off camera, as long as they can fake it when the camera's on... of course easier said than done but that's the nature of the acting job, to fake things for the camera.

Except if they truly can't stand each other, I don't think we would have gotten anything like the makeouts in Castle's PI office or during the invisible killer case. It's why I think the whole think is weird, because if it was really an issue I don't think they'd run so hot and cold (okay, maybe not cold, but not as hot as they could be) the way they do. For what it's worth, I think they still do a pretty good job when they're given the opportunities.

I personally thought the chemistry in S7 was back and more consistent than it was through some awkward patches in S5 and 6.   So I enjoyed Caskett in S7 more.  But even in S5 and 6, I didn't find it all bad.  There were some terribly awkward moments but there were also some good moments, which of course had to be well written in the first place.  Where there have been well written intimate scenes in the script, I still find that the actors can deliver.  I agree that they've run a bit hot and cold over the period when Caskett have been together.  Not sure if that's reflective of real life relationships or just a matter of scripts.  Which is why I was glad to see more consistency in S7.  The makeouts, the wedding, the honeymoon, the PI arc were all carried off pretty well in terms of Caskett chemistry and I didn't detect any awkwardness, thankfully.

My opinion is that it's ultimately on the writers if they don't write intimate or other kinds of scenes that good storytelling requires.   Where they've written them in the past, the track record has been delivery on screen so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't continue to do so out of some real or imagined desires about the future continuation of the show.

If it were truly such an uncomfortable work environment to the point of not wanting to be around each other, I find it a bit hard to believe that they would both sign on for another year of such "torture".  They've both banked enough from Castle and it's not like they wouldn't be able to land another TV opportunity out there if they didn't re-sign.  Money does talk, but still... they both know what another year on a show where they play a married couple in love would involve with each other. There's no real avoiding that completely no matter what you do.

The mistake the network made was waiting so long to renegotiate. Which I said from day one. Never let the actors hold all the cards.

But if the network wants to continue the show as long as it's profitable to them, the actors' are going to have leverage anyway.  

In the case of The Closer evolving into Major Crimes, the star exited and was replaced by a new star playing a new character, while the supporting cast was the same.  (Incidentally, the writers on that crime procedural have managed to give their bigger ensemble team of detectives & co. far more personality than the writers have done on Castle with their detectives, even with just a line or a look or two.  There's no endless recycling of 'yo' or 'lividity'. ;))  But the love story was never the key component of that show.  I don't see how they could continue on Castle with one or none of the existing leads and not have the Caskett love story end tragically. And any subsequent show even with Castle could hardly be the same lighthearted show as before.  He'd become the new 'Beckett', recovering from a personal tragedy, or what?  The only real feasible option I can foresee is a spinoff that involves none of the leads, but I'm not sure how that would benefit from being a spinoff off Castle instead of being branded as a new show altogether.

But I completely agree that business (including what new shows they have available) and the bottom line are what's going to determine if the show ends or continues in any shape or form.  Not artistic concerns.  They chose to pull the plug on Forever instead of trying to grow it into another Castle.  Would it not be smarter to have given Forever a second chance, or take a chance on a new Forever/Castle kind of show than go on with Castle in a completely changed form without the main draw of the love story if that is what they want to try? 

I presume he got the heads up directly from the writers room or a source very close to it, they seem to enjoy feeding TV line info.

It's the only entertainment site that still cares about Castle. ;)

But take a deep breath, everyone.  It's far too early for doom and gloom!

• Love 1

Alexis is in for a pregnancy scare.  Just kidding.   Some fans do have babies on the brain constantly. ;)

Yes to Martha's Con Man husband.  Get Alan Tudyk.  Just kidding, again.  But who is to say that Martha couldn't have attracted a much younger man? Kind of assumed that her ex was a grey haired fox like Jackson Hunt, but who knows.

I can hand wave quite a lot if the story itself is involving and I think many fans probably would do so quite willingly if the story was engaging enough. Too many times the cases are pretty meh and when my attention drifts that's when I start picking up on things they're not getting right. In the past there was probably quite a few things wrong but the cases were so much better that I never noticed and what's more didn't care.

Exactly.  I find my mind drifts a lot more with cases on Castle than on other murder mystery shows.  It's a weak element of the show for a long time now which is really problematic considering the COTW is 90% of the show.  That's why I tend to enjoy episodes a lot more when the crimes are less formulaic or out of the precinct.  Really tired of "Castle and Beckett going into the world of _____" episode descriptions.

Beckett giving evidence in court and trying to lock it down in court and looking at a case from the legal point of view has potential, but I'm also wary of Beckett the witness launching into another grand speech like the one she was given in the finale.  That kind of thing just doesn't work for me.   And the last time they set a COTW in the courtroom in S3 or 4 was also a bit boring.  A 12 Angry Men kind of episode with Castle as juror could have potential as well, though I don't know if he'd be able to serve given his status with the NYPD.   Or a wrongful conviction from a case the team dealt with in the past.  No Bracken trial, please.  

I do laugh at how suspects almost always confess all to the police when really they should be shutting up immediately and asking for a lawyer, but I suppose I have to handwave that for all crime procedurals. ;)

(edited)

Alexis is in for a pregnancy scare.  Just kidding.   Some fans do have babies on the brain constantly. ;)

Can you imagine the furore if Alexis actually got pregnant before Caskett oh the pain! Worse Pi is the father and he makes a triumphant return...nah.  But a pregnancy scare for Beckett I could see them trying that one. I suspect it's man trouble looming for Alexis in the future, may be she falls for a much older guy this time and Castle has a meltdown. 

Here's the picture which went with the tweet posted up the page that Molly sent to Nathan wishing him happy father's day.

https://twitter.com/MollyQuinn93/status/612655342028111872

Awww you can tell how much she looks up to him, not that she has much of a choice of course heh.

Castle star Nathan Fillion’s mystery just the ticket for Sydney fans who cracked the case the Daily Telegraph.

This reminds me of that guy a while back who was hiding cash around some city in America and and giving out clues on Twitter. 

Edited by verdana

although as they're meant to be in New York that might be stretching it a little for believability
In 2014 there were 126 murders in New York.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_statistics/cscity.pdf
I assume there are more than 12 precincts and that each precinct has more than one homicide team.
So a day without a case is reasonable

BTW Finding that number also turned up the rate for Canada (population 33 million) in 2013. We had 505.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/with-canadas-murder-rate-the-lowest-since-1966-are-we-simply-becoming-more-civilized-again

A 12 Angry Men kind of episode with Castle as juror could have potential as well, though I don't know if he'd be able to serve given his status with the NYPD.
That could be fun. Especially since juries are rarely sequestered and he might be tempted…

I assume there are more than 12 precincts and that each precinct has more than one homicide team.

So a day without a case is reasonable

Not to mention that Manhatttan is not even close to the site of the most murders

Yes but at some point when the story goes a certain way, it's hard to hide behind "mythology" and "we want to shake things up" - just saying.

I just thought that if they did fewer scenes together, it was more to do with shorter working hours and wanting to give each more of a break.

But I really haven't noticed a big decrease in togetherness in the past season.  Yes, they have been doing fewer joint interrogations for a while now, but it also felt like there were more, or at least better quality domestic Caskett scenes so I didn't feel like they lacked interaction.  Interrogations mostly dragged but that's nothing new.  I'm going to withhold judgment on what shaking things up really entails because many showrunners have said that and little actually did change.

What I'm saying here is that it may not matter anymore what they can do. The question I'm asking myself is, will they have to anymore.

If they won't have to when they have done so in the past, and signed a new contract on the understanding that they would have to do more of the same, whose responsibility is it if they don't have to anymore?  TPTB who are not making them.  I realize that in reality it may not be as simple as that, but I've also seen no indication that they are unprofessional to the extent of not doing scenes together like on TGW in the past so I wouldn't think that this is what they will expect in the future.

BUT, I guess there is a way to do the show and have it not be "torture"

But can it be "fun"? ;)   Money talks, but would it really be worth the angst of another year working together if there was no fun to be had at all?  It's not like they have money concerns or terrible employment prospects in the future.  I don't know if I was influenced by what I saw on screen or wishful thinking, but I honestly thought they'd turned a corner on any awkwardness and personal issues in the past this season.

• Love 2

If they want to go all topical, they could touch on gun control, race relations and police civilian relations, but I highly doubt it.

I suspect it's man trouble looming for Alexis in the future, may be she falls for a much older guy this time and Castle has a meltdown.

All the man trouble stories they've done for Alexis in the past have always bored me so I hope not.  Both due to the way they wrote them and also the guys they cast were all rather cardboard.  If they have to highlight someone's love life, I'd rather it be Martha's.  Dating in the golden age.  We never actually saw Chet but they did something more interesting and poignant with that story than they did with Alexis' boyfriends.

Awww you can tell how much she looks up to him, not that she has much of a choice of course heh.

It really has been nice to see that relationship flourish as Molly grew up from a teenager into a young lady; same for Jon & Seamus' real life bromance.  Now if only that were the case with all cast relationships... sigh, but sometimes you just can't go back to the way you were.

(edited)

I think that is what they are preparing for and I didn't always think that. I thought it would get it's ending and Castle and Beckett ride off into the sunset. Now I'm not confident in that.

If that turns out to be case, it will be a damn shame. The show maybe called Castle but it's about Castle and Beckett and it disturbs me they could think this is a good idea.

I mean this with zero disrespect but you can't make an actor do anything. Plus if things are handled a certain way, then no one has to seem unprofessional.

And I think that is what makes people doubt things are going on and believe "mythology" excuses.

I just thought that if they did fewer scenes together, it was more to do with shorter working hours and wanting to give each more of a break.

But I really haven't noticed a big decrease in togetherness in the past season. Yes, they have been doing fewer joint interrogations for a while now, but it also felt like there were more, or at least better quality domestic Caskett scenes so I didn't feel like they lacked interaction.

In a previous post, I talked about the S6 debacle and stand by that but as I also said I was surprised they didn't try to separate them more last season. I will admit I saw a huge difference chemistry (& writing of them) in about two thirds of last season but I did feel it start to slide near the end. I have noticed Nathan's days off - he randomly disappears especially in Precinct.

Edited by Brit Babe

I'm confused about what we're speculating the actors want anymore. Are we saying they have likely made it clear they don't want to take part in intimate/kissing scenes or that they don't even want to be in scenes together? Have we reached TGW territory with their bts drama?

And I think that is what makes people doubt things are going on and believe "mythology" excuses.

What mythology excuses have there been about anything? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

I do think Nathan's decrease in screen time was noticeable, but I believe that was about Nathan wanting fewer hours and unrelated to any BTS drama. And I don't think my believing that means I'm blind to the truth and believing excuses the producers are making. I think it makes sense.

I'm confused about what we're speculating the actors want anymore. Are we saying they have likely made it clear they don't want to take part in intimate/kissing scenes or that they don't even want to be in scenes together? Have we reached TGW territory with their bts drama?

I'm rather confused as well. This whole conversation seems completely hypothetical anyway, speculating about things that could in theory be true when there has been no hint about any of it. There's been rumors about Stana and Nathan not getting along for years, yes, but nothing to suggest there has been a change, so I must be missing where all this new talk is coming from. One vague sentence from TVLine shouldn't be enough for that.

• Love 2

Exactly. If it were to be that Castle and Beckett no longer work together, the writers get all the blame because they will say "well we wanted to shake things up"

I get why people believe it. But I tip my hat to those that don't.

But that hasn't happened. So insulting people for what they may decide to believe hardly seems fair.

• Love 1

What mythology excuses have there been about anything? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.

I do think Nathan's decrease in screen time was noticeable, but I believe that was about Nathan wanting fewer hours and unrelated to any BTS drama. And I don't think my believing that means I'm blind to the truth and believing excuses the producers are making. I think it makes sense.

I should have split that paragraph up, Nathan's time off and BTS!drama are two seperate issues for me.

The word mythology is probably the wrong word to use in the case of Castle as it hardly has that much, let's go with the "organic storytelling" - there is a lot of it in my opinion that in recent times, that is not organic, beats in stories that were so glaringly obvious that were missed or progression in storylines that continue to be missed for whatever reason. As halwideman said; it is all spec at the moment, it's like having only half of the jigsaw puzzle pieces at the moment.

In terms of fans being hoodwinked with the mythology, I was talking in terms of many fandoms not Castle specifically but I think a show as old Castle does not make big changes in terms of cast/storytelling ways unless there are looming external/internal forces/decisions at work.

• Love 2

Of course you're allowed to change your mind and you're allowed to speculate about anything.  I was just saying what I think about the speculation, which is that it seems premature to worry about this.  It's not personal at all, all opinions should be discussed.

However, I do think implying that people who believe X are smarter than people who believe Y can be insulting.  And saying you tip your hat to people who believe X implies that to me.  I wasn't offended personally, but I do think it's insulting.

I hope for the sake of all people involved, that the set of Castle is a pleasant working environment. I never got any other impression but then again, it's a place far away I have no personal connection to.

Just a speculation based on my own preferences, but the mild and not very informative spoilers could also be an acknowledgement that the Caskett relationship (as well as the whole precinct) is indeed stale and in need of a little shake-up. And yes, I would be very thankful for a little bit of change as long as if it isn't done like the seasons before (poof, people disappear, storylines are never mentioned again etc.) Maybe the writers are so kind and think about people like me, a bone for the non-shippers? ;-)

He in no way implied this was Castle related, but once again, tvline.com is certainly trying to rattle TV fans (from Ask Ausiello):

I just received a piece of 2015-16 TV season intel that is going to leave a certain fandom shaken, stirred and seriously pissed off — sort of how you’re feeling right now after reading this vague, cryptic tease.

I hope for the sake of all people involved, that the set of Castle is a pleasant working environment. I never got any other impression but then again, it's a place far away I have no personal connection to.

For what it's worth, Sonic Tooth, one of my very good friends did a guest-starring gig on Castle a few seasons ago and she said it was easily one of the best sets she's ever worked on -- everyone was gracious and easy-going and everyone got along quite well. She had nothing but nice things to say about the environment there.

• Love 3

I suspect the new character is in answer to the fact that Stana was working on an uber secret project this summer that she couldn't share.  Maybe a contingency of the Season 8 Castle renewal is that she gets to finish her project.  Of course, in the mean time the show can do what-if analysis on how the fans might handle a Beckett-less show.

Speculating.  Frankly, I don't care.  They could replace both actors as long as they kept a light-hearted comedic show.  And if they did it right, I think it would work.  I don't believe in the indispensability of these actors.

(edited)

I also think his desire for more time off (or shorter work weeks) falls in line with whatever medical issues he had going on. He's looked a lot better in the last season or two ... and even better offscreen. I don't think that's a coincidence. And that makes me think that that request was more medical related than co-star drama related.

He in no way implied this was Castle related, but once again, tvline.com is certainly trying to rattle TV fans (from Ask Ausiello):

I just received a piece of 2015-16 TV season intel that is going to leave a certain fandom shaken, stirred and seriously pissed off — sort of how you’re feeling right now after reading this vague, cryptic tease.

The way this is worded makes me feel like it's not Castle. Ausiello usually gives hints as to what he's talking about in the way he phrases things, and to me it sounds like "shaken, stirred" is the key with that non-spoiler. My first thought was Mad Men, but that show is over, so are there any other 50s/60s era shows? Or spy shows ("shaken, not stirred" like Bond)?

[EDIT] Reading the comments about that blind item, people are speculating that it's about Once Upon A Time, because Colin O'Donoghue (plays Hook) is being speculated as the new James Bond and he mentioned something in a recent interview about a film role he couldn't really talk about but would be fantastic if it panned out. Based on the amount of Captain Swan shippers on my Tumblr ... him leaving that show would seriously piss people off.

Hahaha ... but if it were Castle, someone mentioned that because Penny left, Beckett becomes captain of the 12th, and because there's nothing for him to do anymore Castle gets re-offered a chance to write Bond. I don't think that would really leave people pissed off ... but I also don't think that's what Ausiello was hinting to. Nice little jump to connecting it to Castle, though.

Also, let's remember that TVLine isn't always right. This was their intel about Castle's finale:

Question: Any scoop about Castle? —Fred

Ausiello: The finale — which is supposed to delve into both Castle and Beckett mythology — will feature a “distinguished, highly intelligent” psychiatrist. What say you, Mitovich? “Perhaps the shrink is a means to pull out of Rick any repressed memories about his ‘missing’ months?'” Yep, that sounds about right.

We know know that the psychiatrist was not related to Castle's missing time, nor was he introduced to help Castle with his missing memories from when he was missing. He ended up being a completely different part of Castle's past ... and the killer.

Edited by McManda

Well then that's on you. I certainly did not mean it that way. That would be absurd. But I'm not responsible for how you feel.

Stay tuned.

Like I said, I wasn't personally offended or upset.  Really.  I'm not trying to be hostile or anything either, I hope it didn't come across that way. And I like seeing posts from people with different opinions than mine. I just think it's important to remember this is all speculation and opinions and not a right/wrong issue.

Hahaha ... but if it were Castle, someone mentioned that because Penny left, Beckett becomes captain of the 12th, and because there's nothing for him to do anymore Castle gets re-offered a chance to write Bond. I don't think that would really leave people pissed off ... but I also don't think that's what Ausiello was hinting to. Nice little jump to connecting it to Castle, though.

Well, if Beckett is captain she could sign off on Castle continuing to consult with the boys or any other new detectives that show up. But Beckett also said she was told she could be captain in a year, so we may not see it right away unless they do a time jump.  Of course Penny had nothing to do so they would need to find ways to keep her involved.

I know someone had mentioned the idea of Beckett being in charge of a task force, which I think would be a much better storyline.  It would "shake things up" and let them have different types of cases and let Beckett have some career advancement but still be in the field.

(edited)

How Season Seven ended, I was expecting them to not be working together in Season Eight, purely because of the paths they could go down, etc. Whether it be task force, Captain, Senator, etc it made sense for them not to be working together anymore.

Whether or not they go the step further and with a time jump have split them up personally as well. Yeah that's the one that would seriously p*** the shippers off I think. And if Ausiello is referring to them then it could indicate a separation at least in that regard.

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

Whether or not they go the step further and with a time jump have split them up personally as well. Yeah that's the one that would seriously p*** the shippers off I think. And if Ausiello is referring to them then it could indicate a separation at least in that regard.

Oh it's safe to say it would get an extremely hostile reaction and make those writers wish they weren't so twitter friendly, although I picked up on the Bond hint too which made me discount it as relating to Castle but TV line does enjoy baiting the fans.

Guess the way things are going speculation wise I'll be craving to see interrupted kisses at this rate just so I can get my shipper fix. *sigh*

And yes, I would be very thankful for a little bit of change as long as if it isn't done like the seasons before (poof, people disappear, storylines are never mentioned again etc.) Maybe the writers are so kind and think about people like me, a bone for the non-shippers? ;-)

How dare you be a non shipper, there should be some law against it heh. I want changes on the show most definitely it needs them but I can't help worrying whatever changes they bring about will have me wishing I'd kept my big mouth shut. Even if the writers end up doing things which I'm guessing could be for other reasons besides the simple desire to tell a story it won't stop me getting upset as a fan if I don't like it. In the end I can only judge these writers based on what they serve up on screen as entertainment on a Monday night.

Change makes people nervous, I don't know many individuals that embrace it so I can understand if fans are even more jumpy and tetchy than usual in the build up to the new season, there's excitement but with that comes an element of tension and nervousness because at this stage no one really knows what's coming.

Edited by verdana

It did come across that way. But if you didn't mean for it then that's cool.

Sorry about that then.

How dare you be a non shipper, there should be some law against it heh.hat then.

It must be so relaxing to watch a show when you're not a shipper. There are some shows I watch where I don't care about the main couple and it can be a relief. But also less fun sometimes.

(edited)

It must be so relaxing to watch a show when you're not a shipper. There are some shows I watch where I don't care about the main couple and it can be a relief. But also less fun sometimes.

Oh yeah, there's been a few shows in the past where the chemistry of the couple fans go crazy over hasn't won me over greatly and I'm not bothered about what everyone else is getting worked up about every time a spoiler comes out or something happens to them. It's certainly more relaxing heh. It works best when the show has an ensemble cast though because there's plenty of other characters to focus on and enjoy otherwise it can make you feel a bit isolated.

When it comes to Castle I often wonder for those non shippers what enjoyment do they get out of it now when everything seems to revolve around Castle and Beckett, not just on the show but with online discussions? I know fans do talk about other things but they're usually swamped by the Castle and Beckett related chat mostly which tends to take over. In the early years I thought non shippers were much better served by the writers even if it was becoming obvious things were gravitating towards these two individuals. I've always called myself a shipper but looking back to S1 I realise that I enjoyed what the show provided overall in terms of the quirky fun cases and liking all the relationships especially between Castle and his family. But these days what's keeping these non shipper fans watching? The cases? Meh. The secondary cast? Almost non existent. It must be pretty slim pickings at this point if the Castle and Beckett pairing is not your priority.

Edited by verdana

How dare you be a non shipper, there should be some law against it heh. I want changes on the show most definitely it needs them but I can't help worrying whatever changes they bring about will have me wishing I'd kept my big mouth shut. Even if the writers end up doing things which I'm guessing could be for other reasons besides the simple desire to tell a story it won't stop me getting upset as a fan if I don't like it. In the end I can only judge these writers based on what they serve up on screen as entertainment on a Monday night.

LOL, normally I wouldn’t have commented, but seeing how the spoilers were generally badly received and parallels were drawn to real life production, I thought it might be a good idea to proclaim that not everyone is unhappy.

I see it as an opportunity that the new professional relationships/ pairings bring some new life into the show, at least for a while.  I came to the conclusion after the start of last season (and the utter disbelief at how they handled Castle’s disappearance) that this show is tightly locked in a format that dictates: Thou shalt not have any depth, thou shalt not be serial and thou shalt be a happy family (There really aren’t any grey characters, are there?). To have any movement at all after so many seasons, the writers stuffed their preferred outcome in one or two episodes without caring much about the motivational background which IMO was oftentimes needed. (As a side-effect, that didn’t help making Castle or Beckett any more endearing to me over the course of the last 3 seasons. Especially Beckett, because unlike Castle, who is often used for comical relief and therefore shows excessive characteristics per se, she comes across or is written as a character to be taken serious by the audience most of the time.)

So, if they really can’t have depth, can’t do arcs in a traditional way and don’t want to dive into any grey matter, the addition of new characters (even fractional/recurring) is the best solution for me to keep it kind of fresh. Unless they change to comedy, with all characters of course.

When it comes to Castle I often wonder for those non shippers what enjoyment do they get out of it now when everything seems to revolve around Castle and Beckett, not just on the show but with online discussions? I know fans do talk about other things but they're usually swamped by the Castle and Beckett related chat mostly which tends to take over.

I usually only read this board. Even if I don’t agree or don’t care about a subject, I don’t mind reading it, because people here tend to care about how to phrase sentences, care about language and conclusive content in general.

But these days what's keeping these non shipper fans watching? The cases? Meh. The secondary cast? Almost non existent. It must be pretty slim pickings at this point if the Castle and Beckett pairing is not your priority.

Ha, slim indeed. Until the beginnings of Season 5, I enjoyed watching Castle for the reasons you named above. And I really don’t mind romantic relationships on my screen. It’s how the show handled the romance/ the characters and how everything else became more and more colourless that made me slightly bored or annoyed. After the wedding and the non-follow up on the disappearance disaster, I thought about “quitting”, but I like Nathan Fillion on my screen and I watch the show in English (always an educational win:-). Thinking about it, I wouldn’t watch it in German though. So it doesn't come down only to Fillion, phew ;-!

If they want to go all topical, they could touch on gun control, race relations and police civilian relations, but I highly doubt it.

I'm not sure the writers on Castle (even the new ones) could tackle such serious issues in the right way, which is unfortunate because it does cut off some interesting avenues of storytelling but mishandled it would make for uncomfortable viewing.

If they have to highlight someone's love life, I'd rather it be Martha's.  Dating in the golden age.  We never actually saw Chet but they did something more interesting and poignant with that story than they did with Alexis' boyfriends.

It's funny how they managed to create a satisfying and memorable story arc for Martha involving someone we never even met (Chet), yet screwed up so badly later on with Pi that got a far bit of screen time but the writers did precious little with it that was worthwhile. 

Seamus Dever ‏@seamusdever  7h7 hours ago

Two things happened today that I didn't think would happen. The second was @realssullivan joining Twitter

Well I know what the first one was as for the second I hope Susan has something good to tweet about when it comes to Castle next season and that fans give her a warm welcome and remain polite and respectful. 

Susan Sullivan has bravely decided to take the plunge.

Into the brave new world of... Tamala's tweets. :P  But to each their own, embrace your own style!

Wow, never thought this would happen!  Susan Sullivan joining twitter that is, not legalisation of gay marriage in the U.S.  

Now if we get a Nathan and Stana selfie or gun control legislation in the U.S., it'll be a sign of the apocalypse. Kidding.. kind of. ;)

Looking forward to some Martha-isms, or should it be Sullivanisms, from Susan, in 140 characters or less.  I don't really care if she tweets about Castle, but her tweets should be fun if they sound like the way she does in her all too rare interviews.  Hopefully she'll see more of the good than the ugly from twitter, but no doubt she's had enough life experience to take it all in stride.  It would be fun if Nathan hosted another live tweet party to welcome her to twitter and they live tweeted an episode together.  No doubt he'll be talking twitter to her in between takes.

It will be interesting to see if the new showrunners are going to be more responsive about the show on twitter than Marlowe.  Although it doesn't feel like TPW's natural inclination, poor guy dragged into twitter!

That's one of my favorite Richard Castle lines. How nice that Nathan wrote it (or re-wrote it)

Some of my others:

'The killer's a zombie!' *Hi-fives a patrol officer*

(To Alexis)  'Then who's gonna play with me?'

--The genius was in Nathan's line delivery.

From tvline.com

Is it true that Stana Katic isn’t going to be in the Castle season premiere? –Linda
As I quite eloquently put it, on Twitter, over the weekend: “That is a bunch of hooey.”

Anything new about Castle Season 8? –Rachael
Only that I was alllll wrong about the larger purpose of the new tech analyst dude.

(edited)

So two episodes already written up. 

I saw that tweet from Chad on tumblr this morning and after past experiences with these writers I'm wary about the way they go about promoting upcoming episodes, too often the only thing I've been left thinking after the credits roll is meh.   

I think Matt is often "alllll wrong." That's why I don't think we should be worried based on TV Line's shadiness that season 8 is going to be bad.

Matt was initially worried about the tech analyst replacing his beloved Tory, she must be sticking around and he's since discovered the new character has some other purpose. 

Sandra knows best © retweeted
Alexi Hawley ‏@AlexiHawley  8 hrs8 hours ago
1 week out from prep on Ep. 801. First 2 scripts turned in. Fingers crossed no one else is doing a story about a California land scheme.

Edited by verdana

LOL, Mary.  Would have been fun if Castle & Beckett had actually ridden Ryan & Esposito in the Wild West episode... oops, that sounds kind of wrong heh.  

As long as it's not an "I forgot I got married in Vegas and oh no, now my husband to be is in a burning car" whoa.... ;)

I saw that message from Chad.

Taking up Dara's mantle? ;)  But I'm also wary of all hyperbole until I see the end product for myself.

I will be interested to see how TPW & AH's writing stack up against Marlowe & Amann, and in doing season opening episodes.

Matt was initially worried about the tech analyst replacing his beloved Tory, she must be sticking around and he's since discovered the new character has some other purpose.

I think unless we hear of the actress who plays Tory being cast in another show (and even then, she may still be on Castle) we have to assume she's sticking around because they like having her, for whatever reason.  New tech analyst as conspiracy mole or love interest?  Not enthused about either option if indeed those are the purposes.  Let's see if the new showrunners can do something improbable and actually get me interested in a tertiary character on Castle.

Fingers crossed no one else is doing a story about a California land scheme.

At least that doesn't sound like another episode diving into the world of X.

(edited)

madmaverick.This tech analyst may turn out to be the one that fans should be more intrigued about instead of focusing on the Hayley character, my first thought was conspiracy mole. 

Edited by verdana

Still bugs me that they didn't cast colour blind, and described the tech analyst  as "East Indian".  Almost forgot about that bit.  I suppose love interest is out, because how often does Hollywood cast an East Indian love interest? ;)  So yeah, conspiracy mole it likely is.  It will be interesting to see if the new showrunners can handle conspiracy with a defter touch.  I'd rather not see glaringly obvious shifty glances from the tech. ;)

Susan Sullivan
‏@realssullivan
So proud of my 3 sons..Billy Moses#Falcon Crest. Thomas Gibson #Dharma &Greg. Nathan Fillion #Castle. Must be doing something right!!

Looks like Susan's doing twitter right.

Still bugs me that they didn't cast colour blind, and described the tech analyst  as "East Indian".  Almost forgot about that bit.  I suppose love interest is out, because how often does Hollywood cast an East Indian love interest? ;)  So yeah, conspiracy mole it likely is.  It will be interesting to see if the new showrunners can handle conspiracy with a defter touch.  I'd rather not see glaringly obvious shifty glances from the tech. ;)

Looks like Susan's doing twitter right.

They seem fond of the big bad conspiracy on Castle and Marlowe loved the likes of the FBI, CIA etc coming into the fray too, pity they were so heavy handed in the past with the execution. Here's hoping any conspiracy drama keeps them united as a couple and doesn't cause ructions with secret keeping and so on, that would be a call back to the old regime I certainly don't need.  

Yeah good for Susan.