Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

The reality is they’ve really been together since season five. The wedding was last season, but as a couple they’ve been together and happy for several seasons now. For us we thought, ‘Let’s throw an obstacle in their way.’Nobody’s getting divorced. They’re not splitting up forever. This is an obstacle in the way that is going to make them ultimately stronger as a couple once they get through it.

Well you couldn't be more stark than that about what this is all about, we'd had enough of this run of the mill happiness lark and we didn't want to spend time developing the characters organically screw that!  Lets throw another contrived obstacle in their path for them to climb over and this of course won't be the end of it because you can bet they'll be another obstacle and another and another...Uggh

Edited by verdana

The thing is, I do agree a reset was dumb. You can't go home again. Let me get that out of the way. This was handled poorly as hell.

With that said?

While the show is more a dramedy, it is categorized as a drama, for good or bad. And just watching fluff and kitties and rainbows wasn't going to fly. It just won't. I think the mistake on this kind of show is having both kinds of drama. What do I mean?

Well, if this show is quasi-procedural, you either have the messed-up protagonists and relatively mundane/work stuff orbiting it, or you have a somewhat stable character with all hell breaking loose. Castle has the messed-up lead and Big!Stakes!Cases! almost nonstop.

And yes, that gets draining.

Still, if you think about it, even fluff shows of this ilk have never really had "normal" folks: Laura Holt of Remington Steele was abandoned by her father which led to her intimacy issues with Steele.

So, in a sense, maybe true happiness is incompatible with a TV show unless it's a sitcom.

• Love 3

Hawley: It broke her heart too. … She’s doing it because ultimately Rita said, "Look, this obsession of yours that you can’t seem to get rid of is going to endanger anybody you take with you." That’s what we found was a really interesting journey to start the season with Beckett is this realization that this injustice in her isn’t just tied to Bracken. Her DNA changed when her mother was killed and she started on this journey. Her hope is by pursuing it and seeing it through, she can break that cycle and then be happily ever after.

I wonder how Beckett would have reacted if her father had said "Look if you let me go on just one bender I'll be able to break the cycle". So the way to end an addiction is by feeding it. Damn, when I think of all the time I wasted dieting when I should have just pigged out & then I could have lived happily ever after.

• Love 3

The reality is they’ve really been together since season five. The wedding was last season, but as a couple they’ve been together and happy for several seasons now. For us we thought, ‘Let’s throw an obstacle in their way.’Nobody’s getting divorced. They’re not splitting up forever. This is an obstacle in the way that is going to make them ultimately stronger as a couple once they get through it

Well Now you know who pushed the Break Up, and When do Married People Break Up, What are you Hawley 16 yrs old, This has to be the most ridiculous plot lime and interview made Marlowe look like a freakin Press Agent

Guys and gals, this is another reminder: If you want to talk spec about show direction, the show runners, or BTS, unless directly relating to an article or tweet, etc., it belongs in the Spoilers AND Spec thread (emphasis mine). I have just removed two such posts and put them in their proper forum.

So again, unless something ties to Media, it does not and should not get/be discussed in this thread.

Thanks!

Wendy Thanks so much for all you do for this, I can tell you are upset but staying professional, Kudo' to you dear I am signing off now for a while and Thanks for all who listened or replied.  We will see what the next few weeks bring, but I am guessing this is a blow the show cannot recover from, hope I am wrong, but time will tell  God Speed

These 2 should just stop doing interviews. They aren't furthering their cause and only highlighting how weak this whole seasons setup really is!

And way to go THR - asking the questions that should be asked....even if you get a NON answer in response!

Not a value add? Huh?  I guess what they really mean is we can't think of any decent entertaining stories for Castle and Beckett as a married couple so we've decided to fall back on a tired old trope that's been done to death and crossing our fingers we can get away with it.

That was also my reaction, and that "value add" business was kind of insulting to the people who have enjoyed the romantic banter aspect of the show. 

• Love 1

Because of the case or because there's some decent personal interaction/plot movement.

I agree a baby would be a terrible idea at this point. So sad, because I wouldn't have thought that at the end do last season.

One objective of the separation might be to get the viewers out of the mindset of Castle and Beckett having children anytime soon which might explain the sudden reoccurrence of her harmful emotional issues. The producers don’t want to explore normal married life (not dramatic) outside work in order to avoid the romantic scenes, but that is what the viewers expect now after waiting six years. The Hawley ongoing interviews explaining things just seems so out of touch with the place the writers put Caskett in their relationship before he took over especially after last season (when one partner has a problem, then both have a problem). His description of Kate's new path to keep Castle safe just makes no sense. Working other cases together, but living apart will not bring her back to an emotional normal by itself.  It will be interesting to see the viewership numbers after the next 3 episodes if the writers actually follow this kind of crazy logic.

Edited by VinceW

What we’ll see in episode three is he’s realized the way I can get my wife back is by doing the same thing he did when they fell in love the first time -- work cases with her.

This guy really needs to work on his interview giving skills. First we have "win her back". Now we have "when they fell in love the first time". Generally people don't say "first time" unless there in more than one. So is he saying that Castle thinks Beckett is not in love with him anymore? Somebody should tell him to STFU because he is only making it worse.

As someone not emotionally invested in what's happening but still curious, to me these writers are being refreshingly honest.  They are saying that Castle and Beckett together got boring and they threw in an obstacle to make them interesting and interesting for them to write about again.  Not a lot of people say that about the shows they are writing for.

Are couples that difficult for TV shows to write for?  Most of the evidence I've seen points to the idea that it is difficult for them to write stories after the couple rides into the sunset.  I'm sure there are fanfic writers who can think of great stories for these two as a couple, but fanfic is different than writing for television.  But still, I feel like I've read better plots for fanfic than this "separation."  For the sake of the show, I hope this works out for everyone involved better than it seems right now.  I don't wish cancellation on anyone.  It does feel pretty lazy writing, but after 150 episodes, maybe expecting originality is asking too much, especially when it comes to romance, something TV botches more often than not.

Once Castle and Beckett get back together, what will keep them fresh then?  Following these writers' logic, can these two be interesting without the obstacles?  

Edited by Betweenthisandthat

Wendy Thanks so much for all you do for this, I can tell you are upset but staying professional, Kudo' to you dear I am signing off now for a while and Thanks for all who listened or replied.  We will see what the next few weeks bring, but I am guessing this is a blow the show cannot recover from, hope I am wrong, but time will tell  God Speed

Nah, I'm not upset, Tim. You all are actually a pretty easy forum. Y'all just need the occasional nudge now and then.  :-)

Actually, Wendy, my DVR has always listed Castle as a comedy, not a drama.  

That said, it's true that as a one hour crime procedural there are obviously always going to be dramatic elements. And since conflict drives story, there's got to be some of that as well. My issue is with the nature and degree of that drama and conflict, not the fact that it exists. Given the type of work they do, the various conflicts they face there and their complex familial dynamics, there's so much that Beckett and Castle could be battling together rather than apart. For me, excessive, relentless angst between couples who we all know will inevitably end up (back) together anyway is exhausting and depressing---pretty much the exact opposite of the creatively energizing force the writers are attempting to frame it as. And I'm trying to remain open minded as to how this will play out on screen, but it's hard not to translate the writers' comments to "well, we didn't have any idea else to do, so, like, why not break up the central couple who many fans watch the show for---awesome stroke of genius, no?!" 

• Love 2

I sort of get the feeling Hawley is calling out Marlowe for being boing and lazy.

(That's pure opinion, not information)

I also get that feeling, but also that he thinks he could write a better "Always" scene than Andrew. Was he fired, or did he choose to walk away? (Just thinking outloud, not a question.) If fired, then maybe he's saying watch me do better than you did?

I also get that feeling, but also that he thinks he could write a better "Always" scene than Andrew. Was he fired, or did he choose to walk away? (Just thinking outloud, not a question.) If fired, then maybe he's saying watch me do better than you did?

Maybe Hawley wrote "Headhunters" under protest. TPW and AH together  wrote "A Rose for Everafter".

I sort of get the feeling Hawley is calling out Marlowe for being boing and lazy.

(That's pure opinion, not information)

That's because he was boring and lazy, at least Hawley can't be accused of being boring after this. 

• Love 1
One objective of the separation might be to get the viewers out of the mindset of Castle and Beckett having children anytime soon which might explain her sudden reoccurenance with emotional issues.

I certainly don't want them to throw a baby into the mix, they can't even talk to each properly about what's wrong much less raise a child together. However, I'm in the minority if comments during the last week on tumblr are any indication, the amount of fans besotted with the idea that a Beckett pregnancy would be a great way of bringing them back together in eternal love and harmony is scary to behold. 

Once Castle and Beckett get back together, what will keep them fresh then?  Following these writers' logic, can these two be interesting without the obstacles?  

That's a really good question.  

Edited by S55

If this arc is meant to bring back the "will they, won't they", as indicated by cast and show-runner interviews, is it fair to conclude that this is the final season? At least for Katic? After all, at some point, they have to get them back together, therefore the WTWT will once again have been resolved.  We already have been told that there's nothing interesting about a happily married couple, so logically, where does the series go after they get them back together.

I suspected all along that this season is meant to fill the time slot until ABC can come up with a viable replacement.  I'll speculate that they gave the cast the kitchen sink in order to sign them.  I'll further speculate that if the series ends, with no Castle PI Show on the horizon, they will send them off pregnant and happy ala The Mentalist.  

If there IS a Castle PI in the offing, my speculation is that Beckett will be killed trying to save Castle from the new big bad, Castle will kill the big bad in the scuffle, that there will be some tearful scene at the end so they get to say their goodbyes. Castle knows that she gave her lift to protect him and Beckett gets closure that her work is done, her mother is totally avenged and her husband is safe.

Next season opens with Castle in his underwear, in a bottle, getting a call from Espo and Ryan.  To shake him out of his grief they ask for help with a weird case, ("it's what Beckett would want" I can hear the cheesy dialogue now) and off he goes.....on the path to a new career, to continue his wife's work, getting justice for victims. With his trusty side kick Alexis. ta da!  

• Love 2

Blerg!

That's exactly what I think they are setting up! Me? I hope the ratings keep on sucking cause (I'll admit it!) I want my happy ending dammit!!

Happy endings aside I didn't fall in love with this show because I enjoy watching lightweight, try hard spy thrillers. Castle PI can be another show starring Nathan.....just don't call it "Castle"

Edited by BellyLaughter

May be they already know in all likelihood this will be the final season so TPTB don't need to worry about addressing that issue. The separation will drag on into next year and they'll be a two or three episode arc at the end to wrap everything neatly up.

I wonder if NF would risk continuing without Stana, because if ratings are even lower I don't think his ego could handle it.

Since Nathan signed on the dotted line first, it would appear he has no problem with the notion of continuing on Castle alone if Stana should eventually depart. Money will help soften the blow to any possible bruised ego.

Since Nathan signed on the dotted line first, it would appear he has no problem with the notion of continuing on Castle alone if Stana should eventually depart. Money will help soften the blow to any possible bruised ego.

If ratings don't rebound, I don't think anyone has to worry about a season without Beckett.

This guy really needs to work on his interview giving skills. First we have "win her back". Now we have "when they fell in love the first time". Generally people don't say "first time" unless there in more than one. So is he saying that Castle thinks Beckett is not in love with him anymore? Somebody should tell him to STFU because he is only making it worse.

Are all show runners as bad at giving interviews as the ones on Castle have been? Marlowe and Amann were pretty terrible too. I don't follow other shows closely enough to know if it's normal.

Interesting that they were asked about BTS drama. But they had to say no regardless, so it's kinda pointless to take too seriously. And I say that as someone who doesn't think BTS issues are dictating the storyline.

Edited by KaveDweller

I know Shonda is condescending to fans in her interviews and basically says she'll do whatever she wants.

The Good Wife showrunner gave one of the most mind boggling interviews about CGI-gate saying it's no different than having a character on the show die without actually killing the actor.

I think it's a job requisite to have a huge ego. They can also never give an honest answer to anything because it will spoil the story or give away how less than smoothly things go BTS.

WTWT 2.0. I'm wondering when they'll change the show name from Castle to Ground Hog Day. Will we ever trust them again? I'm happy for Marlowe that he escaped while he could.

Speculating. The Mr. and Mrs. Castle is a mimic of Mr. and Mrs. Smith wherein the couple are together while both have a secret.

I can't see why anyone would be concerned about the sudden appearance of Rita.

Yeah, nobody knew 'Jackson Hunt' was married, but they only met a few times.

We don't even know his actual name.

She's no relation to Rick or to Alexis. She's his biological father's wife.

And Martha has been married at least once since Rick's birth, and had a few serious (Chet) and several (dozen) less serious relationships since.

He was a one night stand. Big whoop.

what relationship based show in its 8th season, or similarly long running at least, has stuck to writing a happy couple together and kept the audience happy

Well, Modern Family has three happily married couples. Two of them also have active sex lives. And the other pair occasionally hug.

That’s what we found was a really interesting journey to start the season with Beckett is this realization that this injustice in her isn’t just tied to Bracken. Her DNA changed when her mother was killed and she started on this journey.

If it didn't come out of nowhere and was supposed to be resolved at the end of season 4, that could have been a nice setup indeed.

I can understand that they felt the need to spice things up a bit, but they went with the illogical WTF event instead of letting a rift develop slowly and believably.

Her obsession could have slowly come back, it could have nagged at her, leaving her distracted, Castle could have realised something was going on, something could have happened that made them realise they were drifting apart, one last big event when Castle gets nearly killed and Beckett decides to go underground/fake her death (with Castle's knowledge) to go after whatever threat she has to bring down.

IMO, it would have been possible to break them up at this point, but the way they decided to do it and the way they want to follow up on this, is so ridiculous that the storyline is a stupid mess right from the start.

• Love 2

Can I offer an opinion that might sound douchey but I promise I mean it with love? (As much love as you can have for strangers on a fan board, now I sound like a creep)

You guys need to let "win her back" go. It's a poor choice of words. It's not what I would have used.

It isn't like Rick feels he did something wrong and needs to make amends or anything.

It's more that he's not going to let her go and that he wants to show her and that no matter what they are better together. Like he told her last week.

Sure he could be angry and brooding and tell her to fuck off but that sort of happened once and most of you peeps hated it, you call it the douchebag arc for a reason.

Again I'm not defending the story as saying you should like it. I'm just saying I don't think some poor words is what you should stick on.

Especially those of you who found Rick way too passive in previous seasons.

I know I know...they shouldn't have to break up for him to show how much he wants her but it is what it is.

Yes!   Thank you!    He's going to "woo" her into letting him into the rabbit hole with her.     I'm not happy at all that we're going down the angst road with our OTP, but the payoff will be spectacular.    I just hope it's before the holiday break.     

You guys need to let "win her back" go. It's a poor choice of words. It's not what I would have used.

It isn't like Rick feels he did something wrong and needs to make amends or anything.

It's more that he's not going to let her go and that he wants to show her and that no matter what they are better together. Like he told her last week.

No offense, but I'm going to go off the words of show runners and an actual character over what word you would of used. The promo and words actually showed us that Castle feels like he has to win Beckett back.

I mean....even leading up to 8x01 and 8x02 you also said that Beckett left him to protect him. It's quite easy to make the case that Beckett is the one putting him in danger. Your interpretation isn't automatically correct, just like how mine isn't. We all view things differently. Let people view it how they see it.

Yes!   Thank you!    He's going to "woo" her into letting him into the rabbit hole with her.     I'm not happy at all that we're going down the angst road with our OTP, but the payoff will be spectacular.    I just hope it's before the holiday break.

I can't think of anything more depressing than Kate spiralling back down to somewhere she's already been but worse Castle has to show her all over again why she needs him around, that's a huge flaw in the story. How many times does Castle have to keep proving to Kate they're better working together than apart? All this proves is she hasn't learnt a thing.

I also have my doubts the payoff will be quite as swoonworthy and amazing as people are hoping given the hash ups they've made of just about every big emotional moment between them.

Also, any reconciliation won't be before the holiday break based on what I've read so far but if they had any common sense it should be.

Yet more of AH and TPW talking about the "breakup" (their words) here. Also includes a sneak peek from tonight's episode with Beckett and the boys. 

A couple of answers to questions that have been bandied about in threads here:

How will the precinct feel about the split?
WINTER: Figuratively, mommy and daddy are fighting, and it has a toll on Esposito, on Ryan, on Lanie and also on Alexis and Martha. They’re not trying to take sides, but they’re deeply affected. What’s exciting about what we’re going to be doing — and you’ll see that in episode 3 — is that we kind of have this return to the fun even though Castle and Beckett are in this new paradigm of their relationship.

Will we get to see more of Castle’s stepmom?
HAWLEY: We will definitely get to her but spoiler alert: we’re not going to get to her in the near future.

Also:

How will this affect the DNA of the show? Will Castle and Beckett have separate storylines?
HAWLEY: It’s not so much giving them separate storylines, although Beckett is obviously going on a secret mission of sorts. It does give them some separate issues that they’re dealing with but at the same time, it’s still ultimately about their relationship and it’s still them figuring out how this new paradigm works between the two of them where Beckett is trying to keep him at a distance to keep him safe and not let him get on to what she’s doing and he’s of course intent on winning her back. In terms of the dynamic at the precinct, nobody really understands why this is happening, and Castle doesn’t even really understand why. Beckett just basically asked him to trust her that she has something to work out, so there’s definitely some unsureness going on but Castle is determined and therefore we have a lot of fun with that and you know, Beckett is in love with him so that doesn’t go away even though she’s got this thing going on.
WINTER: And this is going to sound cheesy and I apologize in advance: The thing about it is that Beckett is “breaking up” with Castle out of love. It’s not because “I can’t stand to be around you” or “I don’t think this is working out” or “I want to see other people” — that’s not what it’s about. It’s out of love. “I want to keep this man safe and the only way to do it is to put distance between us.” That’s the struggle that we’re playing around with, especially in the first third of the season.

I think this lends some credence to the theory that something happens around 8.07 or 8.08 that makes Beckett rethink her stance. Though going by hal, it doesn't result in a reconciliation, so I don't really know. 

Edited by metaphor

These 2 should just stop doing interviews. They aren't furthering their cause and only highlighting how weak this whole seasons setup really is!

Dropping off this link to another one, with slight spoilers for the season, with a sneak peek from tonight's episode. At least Castle isn't improbably undercover. And I have to say I love Professor Castle's look, a lot.

Thanks for the link, only on Castle could you have a wife walk out on her husband in floods of tears without really telling him why and the following week the writers tell you everyone will be back to having fun together in the midst of what should be a major emotional upheaval for this couple, talk about bizarre.

• Love 1
How will this affect the DNA of the show? Will Castle and Beckett have separate storylines?

HAWLEY: It’s not so much giving them separate storylines, although Beckett is obviously going on a secret mission of sorts. It does give them some separate issues that they’re dealing with but at the same time, it’s still ultimately about their relationship and it’s still them figuring out how this new paradigm works between the two of them where Beckett is trying to keep him at a distance to keep him safe and not let him get on to what she’s doing and he’s of course intent on winning her back. In terms of the dynamic at the precinct, nobody really understands why this is happening, and Castle doesn’t even really understand why. Beckett just basically asked him to trust her that she has something to work out, so there’s definitely some unsureness going on but Castle is determined and therefore we have a lot of fun with that and you know, Beckett is in love with him so that doesn’t go away even though she’s got this thing going on.

There it is again, we should make this into a game of Bingo ;)

edit: Castle is already coming across as a stalker in the sneak peek, this is going to be a longgggggggggggg season.

Edited by Chado

And I have to say I love Professor Castle's look, a lot.

Agreed. Putting glasses on that man is LONG overdue. If nothing else, I'll enjoy that in tonight's episode. 

It's amazing how Beckett can walk out on Castle and Castle can sit there with no idea why she left, or what she is doing. And yet in everything that is being described, he sits there (for potentially months) just trying to 'win her back' and not get angry over how selfish she is being. I just don't understand how there is going to be an emotional payoff when the emotion to begin with, isn't even realistic.

I think this lends some credence to the theory that something happens around 8.07 or 8.08 that makes Beckett rethink her stance. Though going by hal, it doesn't result in a reconciliation, so I don't really know.

I think they will get together for one night. Then it will be back to the "new paradigm" (I guess it's better than mythology). Not only will it give fans hope it also gives them the opportunity to have her pregnant or not depending on if they want to go that route at the end of the season.

Edited by oberon55
ALEXI HAWLEY: We really wanted to focus on shaking things up and trying to give some new energy this year and also to their relationship. For us, their love affair is the heart of the show and relationships have issues, so we didn’t want to do a one-dimensional, everybody’s-happy-all-the-time kind of thing. But on a bigger front, it just felt like there were some unresolved psychological issues, Beckett more so possibly than Castle, as the fallout of being obsessed with her mother’s murder for 16 years. How do you just turn that off? So that just felt like really interesting character stuff for us that could then give us opportunities on a storytelling front.

These guys really need to put a sock in it, the more they say the worse it gets. It's so short sighted and silly to suggest that having everyone happy-all-the-time on screen is boring and "one dimensional", it's because the characters get written that way not because being happy and together is inherently boring and lacking in substance. Fans are not asking for rainbows and unicorns when it comes to Castle and Beckett they want them to explore them having "issues" but what they don't want is manufactured angst with plot holes you can drive a Mack truck through. 

As for Beckett's psychological issues, I thought we had already put those to bed and she had moved on with her life, obviously not.

It's interviews like that which has me doubting that Castle and Beckett will ever be consistently happy again whilst Hawley is running the show, they've set out their stall out quite clearly in the latest interviews, I expect this to last all season.  

I think this lends some credence to the theory that something happens around 8.07 or 8.08 that makes Beckett rethink her stance.

She will rethink her position briefly to give fans false hope and then something will happen which causes her to back track again so they'll remain separated over the hiatus or they could end it on a cliffhanger of sorts that it looks as if she might be wanting to get back together with him. 

Edited by verdana
She will rethink her position briefly to give fans false hope and then something will happen which causes her to back track again so they'll remain separated over the hiatus or they could end it on a cliffhanger of sorts that it looks as if she might be wanting to get back together with him. 

It will be ironic if Castle's disappearance crap is the cliffhanger at 8x07 and now it's Beckett waiting. Of course, that would go against everything the show leans on during its generic episodes.

I can see Castle's disappearance definitely coming into play at this point, they've said they were going to address it and that would be the perfect time to put a further spanner in the works in some way, either to "balance up" the scales and have Castle look bad or to further send Kate spiralling down that rabbit hole again with Castle desperately chasing after her. 

Edited by verdana

I've been dying to see him in glasses for ages sigh....I loved the the way his bow tie comes unravelled when she pulls him into the room for a quick chat. Still feel sorry for him that he's chasing around after like this though when he's not sure what's wrong.  We're back to "you're not working this case" from Beckett but both of them know that's not going to last long. 

I'm really trying not to be that annoyed with Beckett (and the showrunners), I really am.  I want to try to give whatever new-old dynamic/paradigm a chance and roll with it.  But Beckett annoyed me again in that new sneak peak.  She sounded quite high and mighty and unrepentant for someone who unilaterally decided to leave her husband and her marriage because she needed to work something out on her own or whatever she told Castle (that scene is already on my re-watch blacklist).  She didn't seem very nice to her husband in front of the Dean either.  It seems like they're tying to get back to the dynamic of Castle inserting himself into Beckett's life and Beckett being annoyed at him for doing so, except it didn't really work for me there, because there was this nasty undercurrent of Beckett's taking a break from her marriage and she still thinks she is right and doesn't seem to really care she's hurting her husband.  It's hard to feel that it's fun when there's that baggage around.  

I wasn't impressed with Beckett's "I told you I needed time".  Why is it always on her terms?!  (It's my life!)  So she can make decisions on her own to take a break from the marriage for whatever noble reasons she believes in, but Castle isn't entitled to make decisions of his own such as investigating at the university, such as not accepting his wife's wtf decision?  If, as the showrunners say, Castle doesn't even really understand why Beckett's left, he isn't even entitled to try to figure out why but just has to lump it and leave his wife alone till a date and time to be determined by her in future?  What kind of marriage/partnership is that?  Beckett should have expected pushback against her wtf decision.  She should count her lucky stars she's not getting an angry husband who just tells her not to come back.  Sorry, but the annoyed and exasperated tone Beckett took with her husband there (glad she still acknowledges him as such, which, works well for her plan to protect him by distancing herself- not!) did not help me empathise with her or her reasoning.

And no, in what universe does Castle come off as a stalker?  He's a husband who is looking for answers from his wife.  How can he not be entitled to do that?

If that exchange was meant to feel fun or cute, I'm sorry but I didn't feel it.  It just made me feel sad.  Beckett's being selfish but she doesn't seem to see it.  She probably feels she's being selfless.  Sigh.  Maybe the episode can turn things around... 

Edited by madmaverick

I'm really trying not to be that annoyed with Beckett (and the showrunners), I really am.  I want to try to give whatever new-old dynamic/paradigm a chance and roll with it.  But Beckett annoyed me again in that new sneak peak.  She sounded quite high and mighty and unrepentant for someone who unilaterally decided to leave her husband and her marriage because she needed to work something out on her own or whatever she told Castle (that scene is already on my re-watch blacklist).  She didn't seem very nice to her husband in front of the Dean either.  It seems like they're tying to get back to the dynamic of Castle inserting himself into Beckett's life and Beckett being annoyed at him for doing so, except it didn't really work for me there, because there was this nasty undercurrent of Beckett's taking a break from her marriage and she still thinks she is right and doesn't seem to really care she's hurting her husband.  It's hard to feel that it's fun when there's that baggage around.  

I wasn't impressed with Beckett's "I told you I needed time".  Why is it always on her terms?!  (It's my life!)  So she can make decisions on her own to take a break from the marriage for whatever noble reasons she believes in, but Castle isn't entitled to make decisions of his own such as investigating at the university, such as not accepting his wife's wtf decision?  If, as the showrunners say, Castle doesn't even really understand why Beckett's left, he isn't even entitled to try to figure out why but just has to lump it and leave his wife alone till a date and time to be determined by her in future?  What kind of marriage/partnership is that?  Beckett should have expected pushback against her wtf decision.  She should count her lucky stars she's not getting an angry husband who just tells her not to come back.  Sorry, but the annoyed and exasperated tone Beckett took with her husband there (glad she still acknowledges him as such, which, works well for her plan to protect him by distancing herself- not!) did not help me empathise with her or her reasoning.

And no, in what universe does Castle come off as a stalker?  He's a husband who is looking for answers from his wife.  How can he not be entitled to do that?

If that exchange was meant to feel fun or cute, I'm sorry but I didn't feel it.  It just made me feel sad.  Beckett's being selfish but she doesn't seem to see it.  She probably feels she's being selfless.  Sigh.  Maybe the episode can turn things around... 

I love this post, because this is what my issue is. The sneak peek wasn't cute at all, it was Beckett dismissing Castle and being pretty selfish about it. It's so hard to go in with an open mind when everything Beckett is shown to do, is coming across as her taking advantage of him.

It's amazing the attitude/mentality if she really does think she can push Castle away and expect him to be there at the end of all this. That's why I hate the mentality of 'winning her back', he shouldn't feel like that. He should be able to understand what is going on, and decide for himself if she is worth it.

Is this dynamic going to change? Is Castle just going to keep getting pushed away? Where's the anger? Where's Beckett's hesitance over he choice, longing?

It's all just so unbalanced....

edit: As for the stalker comment, my saying that is because of Beckett's attitude towards him even trying to reconnect with her. He comes across as.....stalker'ish/needy because Beckett is being completely ridiculous at his attempts. It's my main concern this whole season, Castle is going to look like a complete idiot because he's fighting against something that won't budge, that isn't appreciative of the fact he would even fight at all.

Castle has every right to answers, to knowledge of the situation that is going on. The problem is that Castle pushing and Beckett annoyed makes Castle look like he doesn't even belong there, like he doesn't deserve answers. It's just......stupid.

Edited by Chado

Vented in the speculations thread... back to the shallow that doesn't aggravate me as much, even if Luke does a horrible job. 

Not sure I found it cute when she was pulling on his bowtie.  It wasn't the sexy scenario I would hope for to do with any unravelling.  I thought it was a bit rude actually, especially in front of the Dean.  And he's not the one being the naughty little boy in this scenario.  He's the guy who decided to do something about his stubborn wife.  Argh... back to the shallow.  Castle looks like a kindly, cuddly professor there in his tweed and bowtie rather than an edgy, illicit one.  I might prefer the visual of the latter heh.  But it's Luke, so he's always going to go for the safe choices with Castle.  I'l enjoy the glasses, but I still wish they were these ones instead.  But with Beckett pissed at Prof. Castle, it's not like we're going to get any sexy roleplay there. ;)

If Stana's still wearing a lighter coloured wig, it really is getting a bit distracting.  The Dean's hair was distracting too as it looked like another wig even if it wasn't.

And they could have done with more lightbulbs in the Dean's office, as usual.  Why was it so dark?!

Edited by madmaverick

madmaverick I agree with pretty much everything you've said, I did feel sorry for Castle in that clip, once again Beckett is dictating terms whilst he's left floundering emotionally struggling to understand what the problem is yet she won't tell him, that unfair and not showing the man you love much respect. 

I wasn't impressed with Beckett's "I told you I needed time".  Why is it always on her terms?!  (It's my life!)  So she can make decisions on her own to take a break from the marriage for whatever noble reasons she believes in, but Castle isn't entitled to make decisions of his own such as investigating at the university, such as not accepting his wife's wtf decision?

I have mixed feelings about that line of hers, because of the way they're structuring the story they need to be very careful. They're married, things are not the same as back in the old days and if they plan to lean heavily on the old routine of Castle inserting himself into cases over a reluctant Beckett each week that it doesn't come across like a husband who refuses to listen to his wife and charges in ignoring her wishes and there's nothing charming or funny about that. 

Kate has told him that she needs time and space to get her head together due to some WTF plot contrivance and whilst I understand he's confused and hurting I wish I could see some grown up, tender, thoughtful behaviour here between husband and wife. Kate should be much more forthcoming about her situation so Castle understands fully what's going on and in that way he'd realise that following her around on cases to prove he's needed isn't the answer to their problems she's got deeper emotional issues.

Unfortunately based on that clip the writers have failed to comprehend the fact they're separated changes everything. You can't just recreate the old dynamic when you've dropped an emotional bomb like this one. 

Edited by verdana