Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Hoping social media doesn't explode too badly tonight. But, who am I kidding.

Ha, hasn't it happened many times already?  Maybe we can grade it on a Richter scale.  

I'll be curious to know what unspoiled people think, but not sure there are many of those here.

He's already said it in media interviews, but he's saying it again on Twitter:

Seph Darkheart ‏@SephDarkheart
@AlexiHawley can we expect it to be gritty all eason? it had a bit of a #thefollowing  dark vibe to it

Alexi Hawley ‏@AlexiHawley  
After tonight, we swing back to our (mostly) stand-alone, fun, case of the week type shows...

From USA Today Critic’s Corner(LIFE section), Robert Bianco on 9/28/2015:

“On the other hand, the best fans of Castle can hope for is that the season premiere was an anomaly, and that this concluding half of the two-parter will be less of a bloated mess. Granted, aging shows often feel the need for a reset, and viewers often need time to adjust. But a shift that sends Castle out of the squad and off to his own agency, where all the work seems to be done by his daughter and a possible new partner (Toks Olagundoye, whose debut was as inauspicious as the episode) may not be moving in a direction anyone wants to follow.”

I wonder how he would feel if he knew about the “breakup”.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

Apparently, we're up for another big shift in the fall finale: 

WINTER | Here’s the thing: The end of [Episode 2] is a whopper. I mean, the way Stana and Nathan played it was amazing. And we both understand that people are a little leery now of what the show is going to be, and they should be. But if they [stay tuned] and see what we’re doing and see how that energy comes back, I hope they’ll be pleasantly surprised about what opportunities are in store for us now that we’ve made this choice. This thing is going to constantly evolve, which is something we promised when we took over the show. It’s not just going to be this dynamic from here to the end of the season. By the time we get to the end of our fall finale, there’s another shift and change that’s going to happen that’s incredibly dynamic. And that will lead us into even more interesting storytelling that will bring them together in a fun way.

TVLINE | So, we don’t have 20 episodes of angst ahead of us.

HAWLEY | No, no, not at all. As hard as it might be to believe, Episodes, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 are a lot of fun. We’re doing the standalone cases, we are keeping continuity with Beckett’s journey, but we’re also putting Castle and Beckett in situations together that have electricity to them, and we’re having some fun guest characters. As Terence said, by the time we get to our fall finale we’re shifting the dynamic again, so the audience is along for something of a ride, but one that ultimately is really fun.

Edited by metaphor

The TV Line interview has another subtle MilMar dig, saying that unlike past seasons there will actually be mentions of the overall season plot line each episode.

As for mentions all season long yeah well I think I can figure out how those "mentions" will go and that's all they'll be but there's a difference to "mentioning" something and "progressing" something and that's what I want to see. 

This is from the GMMR interview. 

Going forward, Castle and Beckett will still interact — “they’re working cases,” Winter teased — but there will be some awkwardness, given the up-in-the-air state of their relationship.

I expect to see occasional scenes each week of Sadface!Castle and Sadface!Beckett to remind the audience they haven't forgotten they're separated and meant to be miserable about it and then everyone will move on.

"There’s fun,” Hawley said. “I was here in [seasons] 2, 3, 4, before they got together. So the spark of that will they, won’t they, and how clearly they were in love with each other was palpable. That energy was palpable. That’s what this is about. It’s about that energy.”

It's as if Hawley is still mired back in those days and can't figure out how to move things forward with their married life so what could be better than going back to that formula again before they were together, they're so transparent about what they're doing it's laughable.  

we are keeping continuity with Beckett’s journey,

But see that's the problem I don't give a shit about Beckett's latest journey if Castle isn't allowed to be there and help her with it.  The writers don't seem to understand that they're married now and that should make all the difference to how they behave. What they have done shits all over that even if they're trying to spin things in the opposite way as them caring and being protective of their relationship - could have fooled me based on what I've just seen this morning. 

• Love 2

I expect to see occasional scenes each week of Sadface!Castle and Sadface!Beckett to remind the audience they haven't forgotten they're separated and meant to be miserable about it and then everyone will move on.

With possible sympathetic looks to Castle from Ryan, Espo and Lanie. Martha will probably give advice and who know what Alexis will react to cause she'll be too busy hanging out with Haley.

Hal told us that her motive for leaving was to protect Castle, but I didn’t get that memo after watching the episode. Killing 5 federal agents never made sense to me without the affected federal agency executing an all out assault against the criminals. Not Beckett’s job.  I expected a weak excuse for leaving, but justice for her old team is just about the worse idea because it is not plausible. She is not in the military. Can you imagine a man wanting to have children with a woman so obsessed with job loyalty and ongoing emotional issues?  I just can't see how the show can keep regular viewership after such a contrived reason for her leaving and then in the near future, both of them working cases together. 

Edited by VinceW

As Terence said, by the time we get to our fall finale we’re shifting the dynamic again, so the audience is along for something of a ride, but one that ultimately is really fun.

This is probably when Castle's secret comes out & we move on to the next gripping chapter of why they can't be together.

Hal told us that her motive for leaving was to protect Castle, but I didn’t get that memo after watching the episode. Killing 5 federal agents never made sense to me without the affected federal agency executing an all out assault against the criminals. Not Beckett’s job.  I expected a weak excuse for leaving, but justice for her old team is just about the worse idea because it is not plausible. She is not in the military. Can you imagine a man wanting to have children with a woman so obsessed with job loyalty and ongoing emotional issues?  I just can't see how the show can keep regular viewership after such a contrived reason for her leaving, but then in the near future, both of them working cases together. 

I don't think it is just justice for her old team, she feels responsible for their deaths because of what she did and feels a responsibility to avenge them.  And no, she's not in the military, but there is a bond in law enforcement and yes it brings up issues for her, so there she is.  As to whether a man would find a damaged/committed woman attractive and a suitable partner for raising a child, lots of spouses of military/police/dedicated public servants want to work through issues, be they the man or the woman on the outside looking in. I give a man on the outside no special treatment over a woman on the outside as being above it all.

I'm not in love with their thinking, but here we are and I've thought the first two episodes were good, so here we go.

Edited by pennben
TVLINE | Here’s the trickiest thing, as I see it: We know that Kate has pushed him away because she’s got to pursue this thing. So, how often will you re-establish that she is in fact pursuing it? Is it every other episode, are there just little hints…? Or are we to just assume she’s doing stuff?

HAWLEY | We’re carrying it through more so than Castle has traditionally done in terms of serialized elements. We definitely nod at it in Episodes 3 and 4, and then come back to it in 6 and 7…. They’re not big parts of the episodes, but they do keep it alive. It’d be unfair to the audience to not at least engage her in this. The last thing we want the audience to feel is like we’re manipulating them, so we’re trying to play fair with what the characters are up to and what they think at all times. This is not an easy thing for Beckett, and you’re going to see over the course of the next several episodes that she is struggling with this choice, with this path — and Castle isn’t making it any easier, because he wants to win her back.

Oh how I laughed at the God forbid we don't want to manipulate our audience line. Jesus how did Hawley not choke on that line? A

They''ll give a "nod" to her looking into things, yeah I know that that means a one liner or something then everyone moves on, basically they'll tread water as usual and hope that the fans stick with it watching fun and goofy Castle in the meantime but I think they'll find that the audience expect movement on this far sooner. 

There is nothing bold or brave about what they're doing after reading that TV line interview who the hell are they trying to kid? They're both so full of shit and PR spin it's laughable, I don't believe for a second they believe a word of what they're saying. They know what they've done is contrived bullshit but they're desperate and have nowhere else to go so here we are. *shrug* 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I don't mind goofy Castle but a goofy Castle when his world is falling apart because his wife has distanced herself from him for reasons yet to make sense to ANYONE.....no thanks.

I hate, hate, hate showrunners spin.  Change the names, change the show it's always the same shit...

• Love 3

I don't mind goofy Castle but a goofy Castle when his world is falling apart because his wife has distanced herself from him for reasons yet to make sense to ANYONE.....no thanks.

I hate, hate, hate showrunners spin.  Change the names, change the show it's always the same shit...

I'm just trying to picture a season full of Castle being a puppy dog whilst Beckett is rolling her eyes and trying to keep him away. It's supposed to be fun though, right?

With that promo I see what they're trying to with Castle wearing glasses, how many times have fans said they would love to see him wearing them (including this one lol) and there you go! 

They'll be a lot of that kind of thing thrown in I'll bet to try and pacify the audience and distract them from the situation between them, I'm almost certain now we shall get to see Beckett in leathers on a bike before Christmas. 

A couple of post-mortem (how fitting) interviews with Winter and Hawley:

GMMR

TVLine

Oh, genius. The throughline is angst and dishonesty and murky nonsense about Kate's mother, but it'll be broken up by slapstick episodes. Now with more Alexis. Do these people have the slightest idea why they've lost so many viewers that they were almost cancelled?

After reading those, I'm starting to think the folks who were talking about the show being cancelled before the end of the season might have something.

Edited by Julia

Hello guys. Could someone please explain what exactly is going on with Beckett/SK? Is Beckett going to be away till episode 8? Is this the showrunner's idea or SK's? What about the rest of the season - how many episodes has SK agreed to be in? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I've been a fan of this show since day 1 back in 2009, but even as a fan I wish they'd have finished the show with season 7 which had, imho, the best finale more than fitting for the series finale. With Beckett gone, 50% appeal of watching is gone with her. :/

Hello guys. Could someone please explain what exactly is going on with Beckett/SK? Is Beckett going to be away till episode 8? Is this the showrunner's idea or SK's? What about the rest of the season - how many episodes has SK agreed to be in? Thank you in advance for your replies.

I've been a fan of this show since day 1 back in 2009, but even as a fan I wish they'd have finished the show with season 7 which had, imho, the best finale more than fitting for the series finale. With Beckett gone, 50% appeal of watching is gone with her. :/

Per TVLine, Stana's contract is for all 22 episodes of the season. So I think we can expect to see Beckett in every episode, just not always in scenes with Castle as in previous seasons. And if Stana's also gotten one day off each week (which is likely), overall screentime can be expected to drop some. On the upside? She's not gone. I would be too, if she were. 

Edited by metaphor

metaphor, thank you. I agree with you, I don't think the show'd be able to keep me around for long if Beckett's gone.

I'm so used to all the fake TV break up/make up drama that I'm completely unaffected by their recent relationship entanglement. As long as they're both there, whatever, it's fine.

Okay lets see where we are on that front.

Beckett suddenly finding out she had been married for fifteen years Marlowe admitted was a story designed "to take her down a peg in a way that's very endearing to Castle" so that presumably made them even or was Castle a few more pegs below her at that stage?

Well, to be fair, he had to make something up, and it's not as if Marlowe has ever shown any signs of grasping that human behavior is generally driven by the wants and needs of humans. Then, there's also the fact that nobody who looks like Stana Katic would have dated him in high school, so I'm sure as much as he creeped on her, he really did want to see her taken down a peg. None of which really bears on the actual reason for Beckett's forgotten marriage, which is that he ganked all his big character arcs from Bones, and that's how Hart Hansen kept Angela and Hodgens apart in season 3. Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I haven't watched this episode though I've read what happens, and it's interesting to me that in the TVLine article at least the writers basically admit that they're doing this to inject the spark back into Caskett, as if they were boring as dry toast in the last few seasons and need to return to a season 1-3 dynamic.  It's as if Caskett can't be interesting together as they are, so there needs to be a some kind of mini do over so that they or the audience can care about these two again.  That's really revealing.  

It's going to be interesting to see the numbers for the next several weeks.  I for one have jumped ship after 7 years investment, I have been fed all the BS I can take.  They may not have 20 more weeks if the Twitter fandom holds to their rants and bails as well, we will see.  My opinion is that a Good writer does not make a good show runner, Alexi H is now on his 3rd time, Following was cancelled, and now he has re-created the angst and Federal Agencies on Castle in just 2 episodes.  Next week Rick is chasing his wife who walked away to keep him safe?  Duh isn't she the one who has the training and didn't he almost just get killed several times because of her so with or without her he is in danger, Makes no Plot Sense at All, but it did make me like For Better of For Worse more than this Crap

Edited by Tim
  • Love 1

how I laughed at the God forbid we don't want to manipulate our audience line. Jesus how did Hawley not choke on that line? A

They also said it one of those interviews they sasid they wanted to protect the characters. I guess they meant all the characters except Beckett.

• Love 1

But why is the onus on Castle to win Beckett back?  She's the one who pushed him away again, as she always has, and so he has to win her back?  If anything, Beckett should be trying to win Castle back.

But why is the onus on Castle to win Beckett back?  She's the one who pushed him away again, as she always has, and so he has to win her back?  If anything, Beckett should be trying to win Castle back.

Because if he has to win her back, she's the bad guy.

Because if he has to win her back, she's the bad guy.

I did see some reaction where Castle is the bad guy for not understanding what Beckett's trying to do. Not a lot, but it's there. 

For people who are looking for some comedy as a distraction from all the angst and heartbreak on Castle, the first few episodes of Nathan and Alan Tudyk's Con Man webseries will be streaming for a limited time on EW on Sept 30, 10. p.m. ET.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/28/con-man-nathan-fillion-alan-tudyk-episodes-streaming

As someone who made a tiny contribution to the crowdfunding, I've already watched the first few episodes ahead of release this week and I can report that it's quite a respectable effort.  Good performances, good production values, and there's comedy and pathos.  For the price of a DVD, I feel I've got my money's worth.  I've never been to a con but I still enjoyed the show.  Nathan is only in it a little bit so far, but it's still nice to see the chemistry between him and Alan after all this time.  And I already wish the Con Man costume designer could come work on Castle! ;)  Nathan plays a big time movie star in the show and he actually looks like a millionaire, as opposed to Castle.  He looks like how I imagined he should have looked like in the Hamptons.  In white linen and a white suit that's better cut that on Castle, and doesn't look half bad, so stop dressing him in dark colours all the time, Luke!

Anyway, Con Man's a decent comedy that stands on its own and worth a look even if you're not into cons or Firefly. ;)

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

As someone who made a tiny contribution to the crowdfunding, I've already watched the first few episodes ahead of release this week and I can report that it's quite a respectable effort. Good performances, good production values, and there's comedy and pathos. For the price of a DVD, I feel I've got my money's worth. I've never been to a con but I still enjoyed the show. Nathan is only in it a little bit so far, but it's still nice to see the chemistry between him and Alan after all this time.

Anyway, Con Man's a decent comedy that stands on its own and worth a look even if you're not into cons or Firefly. ;)

Mindy is cracking me up the most. One of the best things is that it's well lit so we can see Nathan in daylight without blue/green tint. \o/

“On the other hand, the best fans of Castle can hope for is that the season premiere was an anomaly, and that this concluding half of the two-parter will be less of a bloated mess. Granted, aging shows often feel the need for a reset, and viewers often need time to adjust. But a shift that sends Castle out of the squad and off to his own agency, where all the work seems to be done by his daughter and a possible new partner (Toks Olagundoye, whose debut was as inauspicious as the episode) may not be moving in a direction anyone wants to follow.”

Here's your answer!

Robert Bianco ‏@BiancoRobert  23 mins23 minutes ago

On the downside, I hate everything about the turn #Castle has taken. Everything. On the upside, it may free up a TV hour I desperately need.

Yeah you're not the only one Robert. 

• Love 1

Didn't realise there was still a professional critic who paid attention to Castle.  Since there are so few of those left, maybe the Castle showrunners will pay attention to him. ;)

To be fair, the bloated conspiracy direction isn't something new for Castle.  Been happening for several seasons.  The break up is new of course.  Just reinforces how out of ideas the writers have been for a happy Caskett that showed in the episodes since they got them together.  If Marlowe hadn't promised to not break them up, i wouldn't be surprised if he'd done the same because clearly he didn't have story ideas for them any more either.  All these writers look for big drama in their creative direction; they just aren't happy with a light hearted show where characters are happy and having fun most of the time.

That promo does have a lot of fun elements I like, but will it be enough to get the bad taste of Beckett's actions out of my mouth?  Castle playing with geeky toys again (arrow?), Beckett working out her "frustrations" at the gym (too bad we'll never get Caskett on the gym mats; couldn't they work out their differences that way?), Prof. Castle in glasses undercover.  I didn't spot Alexis as a blonde but yep, looks like she's there as well.

Shallow question: are those Nathan's own glasses?

Mindy is cracking me up the most. One of the best things is that it's well lit so we can see Nathan in daylight without blue/green tint. \o/

Don't know why they didn't give him sunglasses in the scene in the garden where he's squinting at the sunlight, but yep, he's definitely better lit and made up in daylight there than on Castle.  His face doesn't look haggard at all, and he doesn't look big in white.  I thought the cinematographer did a good job overall.  The guy on the plane and Felicia's wardrobe gag made me laugh.

Molly C. Quinn @MollyQuinn93  1 hr1 hour ago

Some crazy stuff coming up with that twist of fun that only #Castle writers do so well.

#AsLightAsHomicideCanGet

:)

Edited by verdana

VINCEW, ON 28 SEPT 2015 - 7:28 PM, SAID:

Here's your answer!

Robert Bianco ‏@BiancoRobert  23 mins23 minutes ago
On the downside, I hate everything about the turn #Castle has taken. Everything. On the upside, it may free up a TV hour I desperately need.

Yeah you're not the only one Robert

verdana. He pretty much had given up on Castle since 6x23, but I am still surprised with the harsh tone. His column has a big audience among regular TV viewers which the show runners will soon found out about after the next few episodes.

Edited by VinceW

@EAkorn: Please read...#Castle http://t.co/Tn9tFDeE4b

I'm not on twitter, don't ever plan to be, I think it brings out the absolute worst in people TBH, I know that sometimes cast and crew get shit from fans which is not cool and I don't condone it in any way. If you wish to say something be polite or better yet keep it to yourself, rant to a friend or come join a message board.  

But I will say this, he sent out a tweet earlier after the episode aired which I posted on the episode thread asking fans what everyone thought of 8.02 and where did fans see it going....well after the stunt they pulled that's like waving a big red flag at a rampaging bull and then acting shocked when you're face down in the mud having just been trampled over.

As for the show being cancelled and cast and crew being out of a job, I would assume that given the business in they're in they all know that at any time they could be brushing their CV's off and touting around for work.   

Edited by verdana
@EAkorn: Please read...#Castle http://t.co/Tn9tFDeE4b

Unfortunately, not surprised that Castle fandom has claimed another scalp on twitter.

Don't know what was tweeted to him but it was probably a boatload of negativity, rudely expressed.  Not surprised given fandom behaviour in the past and given what happened in 8.02.  The writers and the cast were probably all expecting it.  There's no excuse for such behaviour, but basically you do have to have a thick skin if you want to engage with "fans" on twitter.  Love and hate go both ways.  The more intense the love, the more intense the hate, and many of these people do not have any sense of boundaries online.  I do think people should just stop watching if they hate something so much because there's plenty of other things they can do or TV they can watch, but many do seem to get off on bashing actors and the show non stop.

Burger King, huh?  

Oh wow -- that is Alexis in a platinum blonde wig at a college party with......her father.

As well as being a tech wiz she is clearly a master of disguise too!! Oh joy.

Edited to add: angel wings.

I was hoping I was mistaken when I saw her dressed like that, I wonder if Castle is allowed to get upset by it? I suppose he wouldn't dare say anything these days.

I AM sorta excited.

As much as I desire an infinity of Castle episodes, I was not looking forward to continued succession of increasingly implausible Case-of-the-Weeks punctuated by cozy Caskett moments. Looks like the cases will indeed become more implausible—hardly avoidable after 8 years—but Castle and Beckett will have a strained relationship which will exercise their emotions and potential for growth. I hope to see not just petulance but rage, not only uncertainty but real ambivalence, not mere dejection but despair.

A cute dispute about the state of the toothpaste tube might satisfy a craving for Caskett marital drama, but I'd much rather see them grapple with her obsessive pursuit of Big Bad and what it means to their alliance, or bring up ticking biological clocks versus the demands of captaincy, or confront his craving for action and what that means for his writing career. These are serious issues maybe best explored in Serious Drama, but Castle has never been capital-S serious, and case plausibility was long gone by season four. The emotional depth in cases that distinguished the first dozen or so episodes ("Nanny McDead" for example) is mostly absent; we've made do with artificial crimes among artificial characters with artificial motives for a long time. The touchstone for me in the beginning was Castle's emotional growth as attraction transmuted to love. When they settled into a predictable pattern of solving and smooching, that growth stopped. While I'm sure to scoff at upcoming plots (my eyes can roll only so far!), I'm hoping the series tune-up will keep them out of a fossilizing emotional comfort zone.

I'm not on twitter, don't ever plan to be, I think it brings out the absolute worst in people TBH, I know that sometimes cast and crew get shit from fans which is not cool and I don't condone it in any way. If you wish to say something be polite or better yet keep it to yourself, rant to a friend or come join a message board.  

But I will say this, he sent out a tweet earlier after the episode aired which I posted on the episode thread asking fans what everyone thought of 8.02 and where did fans see it going....well after the stunt they pulled that's like waving a big red flag at a rampaging bull and then acting shocked when you're face down in the mud having just been trampled over.

As for the show being cancelled and cast and crew being out of a job, I would assume that given the business in they're in they all know that at any time they could be brushing their CV's off and touting around for work.   

Oh, what a bunch of passive-aggressive crap. Throw the question out there, and beat people up for answering because you don't like the answer. That's your audience, asshole. Or, they were.

• Love 3

Richard Ingham @rzaft

@ToksOlagundoye @MollyQuinn93 No offense, but I'm feeling that Hayley is becoming a bad influence for Alexis. #Castle #CastleSeason8

Molly C. Quinn ‏@MollyQuinn93  6h6 hours ago

NoWay :)

Alexis is going down that road no matter what. Hayley senses Alexis needs the mentor She never had

#Sisters

CourtneyO @O10Courtney

@MollyQuinn93 what about Beckett? Can't she be a mentor for Alexis?

Molly C. Quinn ‏@MollyQuinn93 6 hrs6 hours ago

Beckett has been and is a huge mentor for Alexis in more ways than the audience even knows. Molly C. Quinn added,

I find too many times the audience have to find out things about the characters and have their motivations explained during interviews or in tweets from cast and crew when they should be clearly happening on screen. I wish I had been able to enjoy this great relationship that Beckett has had with Alexis over the years. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1