Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

- Derrick Storm was killed off

From the Castle Wiki (spoilers for the Derrick Storm novels):

Storm apparently dies in Clara Strike's arms in the book Storm Fall. This decision of Rick to kill off Derrick Storm received backlash from several readers of the series, but Rick defended it as he felt that he had reached the peak of what he could achieve with Storm, feeling that the character had become too predictable and he always knew what Storm was going to do.

It is later revealed in A Brewing Storm that he had faked his own death with the help of the CIA and retreated to Montana, believing this to be the only effective way to enter retirement.

It could be of course that 1PP are OK with the operation, well not OK but have at least had contact from the AG's office and an explanation about Becketts exploits, not the best start to her new job as Precinct Captain but just another adventure on Castle.

• Love 1

It could be of course that 1PP are OK with the operation, well not OK but have at least had contact from the AG's office and an explanation about Becketts exploits, not the best start to her new job as Precinct Captain but just another adventure on Castle.

In an interview Sunkrish has said “I am related to a disaster in her past, I am a ghost from the past that comes back and gets her into a mess.” We now know that he is an analyst with the AG in DC and that McCord and four of her team have been eliminated in the past 24 hours. Logically, at the end of part two the AG will have smoothed over any ruffles 1PP might have had regarding Beckett's behaviour on her first day on the job, as he must be involved given the murder of five of his agents, otherwise how can she be seen to have resumed her duties in 8x03 without any problems. The problem seems to be that Castle isn't able to see things in the same light and is fixated on her "lying" and, in his mind, not trusting him.

But in Valkyrie they have this conversation

CASTLE

"I can’t make it like it was before, can I?"

She shakes her head slowly.

BECKETT

"Maybe it’ll be better. This way when we come home at the end of each day we’ll have something to talk about like normal couples."

CASTLE

"Only your day will be classified."

And Castle's explanation to Beckett as to why he hadn't told her about Sophia Turner was that she was an active CIA Agent, so once Castle is filled in that this all because of an ongoing AG investigation he ought to be able to accept her behaviour like everyone else. But where's the fun in that, and this is Castle we're talking about.

Edited by westwingfan

The problem seems to be that Castle isn't able to see things in the same light and is fixated on her "lying" and, in his mind, not trusting him.

But in Valkyrie they have this conversation

And Castle's explanation to Beckett as to why he hadn't told her about Sophia Turner was that she was an active CIA Agent, so once Castle is filled in that this all because of an ongoing AG investigation he ought to be able to accept her behaviour like everyone else. But where's the fun in that, and this is Castle we're talking about.

They are married. She is lying to him, she even breaks up with him over this. Why should he "accept" that behavior? Why should he be ok with it? There is a difference between understanding something is classified and accepting that she just shuts him out on everything whilst he is left in the dark without answers. I don't think anybody would argue with her not being able to give specifics as to the case, but that is not the same as breaking up with him, that is not the same as not working towards something together.

There's no point them being married if 1 of them is going to run away and resort back to form whenever things get difficult.

I just find it unreasonable to compare the two situations. Their relationship has (or should have) evolved from those days. Their marriage is meant to mean something. I really hope they explain this properly....

They are married. She is lying to him, she even breaks up with him over this. Why should he "accept" that behavior? Why should he be ok with it? There is a difference between understanding something is classified and accepting that she just shuts him out on everything whilst he is left in the dark without answers. I don't think anybody would argue with her not being able to give specifics as to the case, but that is not the same as breaking up with him, that is not the same as not working towards something together.

There's no point them being married if 1 of them is going to run away and resort back to form whenever things get difficult.

I just find it unreasonable to compare the two situations. Their relationship has (or should have) evolved from those days. Their marriage is meant to mean something. I really hope they explain this properly....

I don't see Beckett running away and resorting to form, although that's what it initially looked like until we discovered this can all be traced back to a disastrous case she was involved in during her time in DC. When you've worked on classified material you're not supposed to talk about it, even after you've left, to anyone not in the loop. This is what Castle understood during the DC arc and the fact that they are now married does not change that, so her "lying" here is not quite the same as after Rise, but it seems Castle isn't going to see it that way.

There is also this possible explanation for her behaviour. She knows Castle can’t stay out of things so if she’d been a bit honest, as some have suggested, and told him she had to go off the grid for a bit to deal with something from her DC days she might have felt that she would be giving him too much of a heads up, so her thinking might have been that by telling him nothing it might give her the time to resolve the matter before he got too close and in danger. It is has also been pointed out that her decision to shut him out didn’t exactly keep him safe and he was on the brink of being killed without ever knowing why, but again that can come back to her thinking that she would have eliminated the threat before it got to close.

The interesting thing here is that it all seems set up for us to expect Castle to break up with Beckett like in Always, and yet Hal tells us that it is Beckett who instigates the break up and Castle doesn't accept it and the following episodes are where he tries to convince her she made the wrong decision, so it seems Castle does get over his initial feelings. Oddest break up ever.

Edited by westwingfan
  • Love 2

The phone call she gets is presumably by someone aware of the deaths of McCord and her team and may tell her to not let ANYONE  know where she is going, a bit like when Gates called her in TBOTB. Beckett doesn't seem too concerned at this stage and as she is wearing the same clothes when she staggers wounded out of the theatre it would appear that she wasn't expecting trouble this soon and presumably the events are triggered by an ambush, and once on the run she might not have felt safe enough to contact Castle or the precinct. It will be interesting to see how she is able to save Castle in the nick of time in the warehouse, but presumably she'd got a lead on the mercs and had hung around the prison and seen Castle abducted so she was able to follow them to their lair.

Edited by westwingfan

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/08/spoilertv-cancellation-predictor-table.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1443085655    Get Ready for more Drama, We will see how many read the first paragraph that this is for fun until 3 weeks of Data, Twitter is going to be ablaze soon   Castle in Danger of Cancellation WOW didn't waste any time for the bad ratings to get published.

Castle was just under the line for being in danger last season so it's not unexpected that the ratings for the premier have pushed it over, as the article says it needs a few weeks of data to be really meaningful, and interesting that NCIS LA is in even worse shape (slightly)

I'm sure they will. Of course then we will find out that some omnipotent super evil bastard has stopped the investigation. Beckett & tech dude will be the only ones that can possibly bring him to justice (sort of like Batman & Robin or Lone Ranger & Tonto). They will have do this in their spare time when they are not working the stand-alone fun cases. When all is said & done this will turn out to be only marginally less silly than Castle saving the world last season.

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 1

At this point I've had enough, I just want to know exactly what they've cooked up about this split, break up or whatever you want to term it, so I can figure out how it works going forward. Part of me dreads knowing (based on past experience) the other part can't wait to have things out in the open so we can stop pestering Hal (for now) and end the guessing games.

As for Kate keeping something classified from Castle, I don't have a problem with that since confidentiality is considered important in most organisations and especially ones like the FBI etc but if they show she's been secretly involved in some ongoing investigation/op for months on end and never told Castle that she's back in the FBI fold (she did get fired after all..) then I must admit I'll be pretty fed up.

The big difference for me here from past incidents is they're married and I expect them to be honest and open with each other because they should remember the vows they took, even if 'open' means saying 'I'm involved with something highly classified to do with my work and I can't divulge the details I hope you can respect that'.

• Love 1

I can't believe some fans are already screaming it will be cancelled by Christmas based on one weeks viewing figures, talk about jumping the gun. Lol

It's an ageing show on a downward slope that gets very little promotion and support from the network what are they expecting to see? It's never been a ratings juggernaut.

Castle: Exclusive Interview With Sunkrish Bala at Voice of TV

Can you tell me about your character (Vikhram Singh)?
Sunkrish: Well he's in law enforcement - but on the tech side of things. And now he's thrown into this massive consipiracy that's way over his head. He's going to have to deal with danger and threats that he's not accustomed to.

Why does it always have to be a massive conspiracy? They love making everything huge but that doesn't necessarily mean better from a storytelling POV. 

Vikhram is a tech analyst, from the FBI, will you be sharing screen time with Maya Stojan (Tori)?
Sunkrish: I'm not sure yet! I hope so!

Damn she's still around then. 

Nothing much else, he praises Stana. 

I didn't even notice the huge blood spot on her blouse when I first looked lol. 

From the shoot out in the theatre. Her powers of recovery must be bionic given how she is able to run after stitching herself up, must have been taking secret lessons from Daddy Castle, unless it was part of her Fed training.

I didn't even notice the huge blood spot on her blouse when I first looked lol.

Oh, that was the first thing I noticed.  At first I thought it was one of those designer silk blouses with an artistic splash of watercolour red strategically placed lol.  I dare say the blood splatter improved the look of the spouse more than that terrible tie did.  The blood went very well with the background red too.  And do I spy blood on her fingers too or whatever that black bit is?  Did Stana paint her nails, although I don't so?  Anyway, it's a nice pic of her.  Looks like she's more of a print reader than an ebook reader.  It would be nice if we get a shot of Beckett reading a Castle book during lunch break in the office (I suppose they already did that in the alt universe episode), or somewhere at home again.  I always like it when Beckett shows her connection to Castle's books, which are in turn a love letter to her.

I can't believe some fans are already screaming it will be cancelled by Christmas based on one weeks viewing figures, talk about jumping the gun. Lol

Oh, I can well believe it.  If Castle fandom's taught me anything, it's that there are always going to be some fans, usually the loud ones ;), who are ready to jump the gun, jump to conclusions based on one pic, one line, one tweet, one soundbite, one promo, one episode, you name it. ;)  Often I find that it feeds into their preconceptions or their negativity bias rather than based on much objective analysis. 

Maybe Stana will live tweet the next episode.  Anything to help with the ratings.  The new team must be feeling a bit disappointed at them.  I really attribute it to the massive amount of promotion done for Blindspot + intrigue of the naked woman covered in tattoos premise to some ;) + Castle being an old show vs something new and exciting more than anything else to do with the actual Castle episode.  If you spend several times the promotional budget than Castle, then it's not unlikely you'll also get the higher ratings in return.

We criticise Castle a lot here, but I've watched several network pilots for this season so far and they've been absolutely terrible.  I would actually take a mediocre episode of Castle over those pilots, and the Castle pilot was far more charming and superior to many I've seen from the network this year.  I thought Blindspot would be the worst, but then I watched Scream Queens, which I thought might be interesting because Ryan Murphy + Jamie Lee Curtis, but oh.my.gosh, it was like nails across a chalkboard!!  I get what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work for me at all.  Does anyone watch Empire here?  I watched the pilot but wasn't particularly impressed, and now I see that it's getting killer ratings and a crazy demo that other shows can only dream of.  What's the secret to its success?  I never got hooked onto other watercooler shows like GA and Scandal so maybe I'm just not cut out for hugely popular shows heh.  We complain about the soapiness of Castle at times but all these super successful shows seem very soapy to me.

What's with some random entertainment site making up a story about Nathan and the spiders from an unnamed "source"?  Most entertainment "news" sites are sketchy to me anyway, and definitely the ones that quote unnamed sources full of bullshit.  But I just wonder why a Castle story would appear on their radar in the first place?  They're Castle fans?  Some crazy Castle fan made up the story and sent it to them?  Weird.  It was good that Nathan clarified that it was bullshit because some fans are capable of believing anything just because it's on the internet. ;)

I'm guessing Beckett's bullet wound is only a graze or something and just generated a lot of blood without doing much damage? In the last episode she did look like she was limping in the ambulance footage, but not later when she saved Castle.

ABCs not going to pull Castle off the air in the middle of season 8. Worst case the move it to Fridays or the summer or something. The ratings just affect a potential season 9.

Castle - Episode 8.03 - PhDead - Press Release

“PhDead” – When the body of a local college fraternity student is found gruesomely murdered, Castle has to go undercover as a professor in order to gain access to the victim's world. However, he and Beckett soon discover that behind the fun and games of college are some darker secrets the university wants to keep hidden.

Didn't he go undercover as a teacher in Child's Play?  

Castle was just under the line for being in danger last season so it's not unexpected that the ratings for the premier have pushed it over, as the article says it needs a few weeks of data to be really meaningful, and interesting that NCIS LA is in even worse shape (slightly)

Except that NCIS LA lost 3.2 million viewers from their lead in show and Castle lost 4.6.

More like a teacher's assistant since Michael Hyatt was the teacher in that ep. Anyways I'm guessing another crime at Hudson University?

Yeah of the pilots I've watched so far, I did like Limitless the best. Minority Report was boring. Scream Queens had funny parts but not enought ott camp. I'm expecting to fall apart real soon cause it's the Ryan Murphy way. My twitter feed said Rosewood was awful but it seem like they watched it waiting for Empire to start. I think people like Empire cause it's ott night time soap with hilarious one liners usually by Cookie. Plus drinks thrown faces, cat fights, double crosses reminiscent of the 80s night time soaps.

Nashville's overnight ratings were 5.02/1.3 so I think that's what they were pulling last season. Expecting Shondaland shows to do fine tonight with HTGAWM probably on top but we'll have wait til next week for the rest of the premiers to see how Castle stacks up with them.

Castle - Episode 8.03 - PhDead - Press Release

Didn't he go undercover as a teacher in Child's Play?  

Yeah, he did but he was teaching kindergarten or something around that level.  Being a college professor should be quite different.  If only we could get Professor Rodgers in glasses and scruff... hmm.  I confess I'd find that appealing from all the fanfics heh, and the photos of Nathan in glasses which aren't half bad.  

But this being Castle dressed by Luke, I bet Castle the undercover professor is going to look just the same as Castle PI, Castle the writer etc.

I think this is also the episode where Ryan and Esposito get the dubious honour of dressing up as college students as comic relief. 

A murder at a university with Castle as a guest lecturer (and possibly Alexis as a student as an organic way to slot her in) has actually been one of the crime settings I'd wanted to see, along with murder at a publishing house, murder on a private island/confined space.

Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  

Watch out! Last night, Hollywood Blvd, man tried to grab my purse..think my scream broke his eardrum #screamsthatwork

Poor Susan!  Glad she's safe.  Screaming works, along with a kick in the nuts if you don't lose your balance on stilettos or something!  ATP is all well and good, but there were definitely parts of LA where I did not feel very safe at night.  And unlike many other cities, their subway was deserted which felt a bit creepy. 

So is it true that Nathan only agreed to work 2 days per episode with Stana or is that some fanciful fanwanking from someone who hates Nathan and is blinded by their Stana love because if that is true this show really, truely is gonna suck this year!

I seriously doubt anyone with real information of work schedules would be blabbing about it on the 'net. And the sad fact is, we will never know the truth unless someone connected to the show writes a tell-all book or something.

Heroes Reborn' Star Jack Coleman Talks Texting Firestorm That Reunited Original Cast [iNTERVIEW] at hngn

Castle excerpt at the end.

You are also appearing on 'Castle', so what can you tease about Bracken's return?

Here's where you get into trouble, [laughs] when you haven't been given the talking points. I know he's a link to a deep, dark story that's about to be unveiled. He's also not in a great place when we revisit Sen. Bracken; he's a long way from the smug guy in a nice suit and coat.

Involving Beckett?

Always involving Beckett because that's the mythology and story, I've had such a great time working with Stana [Katic], she's a doll and Nathan [Fillion] is great. They whole case and crew but Bracken and Beckett are intrinsically linked.

A deep dark story that as we already know from Sunkrish has the characters getting caught up in a massive conspiracy. Why does this all sound very familiar..sigh.  I thought Veritas ended the Bracken story arc pretty well, finding the tape in the elephants was highly convenient but it was satisfying nevertheless and I worry what more convoluted drama they're going to heap on when they should have left well alone.

Edited by verdana

So is it true that Nathan only agreed to work 2 days per episode with Stana or is that some fanciful fanwanking from someone who hates Nathan and is blinded by their Stana love because if that is true this show really, truely is gonna suck this year!

It does seem that both are working less together than in the past based on those keeping an eye on location shooting at least in the opening four or five episodes but then they could be on set a lot more instead so who knows the truth of that suggestion. However, the story they've got planned seems to suggest that they'll be working less together and I think it's going to become much more noticeable this season unless they try and disguise that with upping the quality of the times they do meet as a pacifier. 

It does seem that both are working less together than in the past based on those keeping an eye on location shooting at least in the opening four or five episodes but then they could be on set a lot more instead so who knows the truth of that suggestion. However, the story they've got planned seems to suggest that they'll be working less together and I think it's going to become much more noticeable this season unless they try and disguise that with upping the quality of the times they do meet as a pacifier.

It's gonna have to be Oscar worthy material to do that!! 2 out of every 8 days is a massive hole to cover! I hope at the very least it's an exaggeration of actual information. It does, however, start to explain some of the decisions made regarding the show this season. If it had been 4 out of 8 I would have been disappointed but 2 out of 8 -- I'm flabbergasted! They MUST know that would never work. Right?

I guess it will always be in the realm of rumour but still -- if you hear hooves don't think zebras!

Castle Writers ‏@castle_writers  Sep 21

"Back in my day if you wanted to talk to someone you'd send them a letter." @OldManWinter14 on twitter parties

#terenceisconfused #Castle

Castle Writers ‏@castle_writers  Sep 21

"I swear to god that running this show is easier than this twitter stuff." - @OldManWinter14

Heh. Why do I sense that TPW has his enthusiasm for the twitterverse well under control. 

When do Sneak Peeks usually come out?

Any time really, last season they even released one a few minutes after the last episode aired a few times but usually it's about Thursday or Friday so soon! 

New Caskett photo in the loft office?

@Barryjo1O: Best home office ever. #CastleSeason8 http://t.co/MsWNZfkRO5

Probably photoshopped from a magazine lol.  It looks similar to another one they had up which came from an old TV guide picture. 

Where is this rumour coming from?  Because if it's from yet another unnamed source or from an article with a question mark in the headline, I smell bullshit.  Jon Stewart said it well when he said that, "Bullshit is everywhere... The best defence against bullshit is vigilance.  If you smell something, say something."   

Edited by madmaverick
Probably photoshopped from a magazine lol.  It looks similar to another one they had up which came from an old TV guide picture.

Looks like it.  But they changed the colour of Castle's shirt, oh joy.  If that's all it takes for the ABC artwork people to "create" something "new", I could do that job. ;)  One of my least favourite photoshopped pics of them.  I don't know if they photoshopped that lovely black and white pic of Nathan and Susan, but that looks so much better it can't really compared to this.  Even the ones with Alexis look candid and natural.  Why not just use the wedding episode promo shots or any old screenshot of them having fun in the precinct?

I hope Castle's home office isn't neglected in favour of his new one because I love his home office.  His home office is warm, but cool, and I like that there's the central staircase art behind the desk as a focal point, whereas there isn't really one in the new PI office.  Interesting that Alfred Sole said that the order to make the PI set James Bond-ish came directly from TPTB, which they wanted instead of the old school, noir PI vibe last season.  Between that and Ferraris and motorcycles, are they trying to hip up the show?

I find this interesting

https://twitter.com/patmunn/status/644935218441388032

Does that kind of thing really matter??

It does to buyers, yes. They want the flexibility to air episodes completely out of order and if massive storylines are being developed over an entire season and touched upon often (Something Castle has typically never done in the past) then you limit their ability in doing that.

Whether it is actually an issue or not...who knows, what is said in an interview often doesn't end up being the reality in any case.

It's definitely an unnamed source - I'll go with BS but it's getting harder and harder to ignore what's driving the show this season and it ain't organic storytelling....

Do you mind sharing the link to where this is coming from?  If they put it out there on the internet, there's no need to hide.  Where it's coming from would provide some indication of whether there's any credibility or objectivity at all, or none.  I just find many of these bullshit rumours over the years to have an insidious way of creeping into people's minds and make them think there's some truth to it when, really, it's complete bollocks.  People think there's a grain of truth, when in reality, some people just get off (and clicks) on making stuff up completely for their own agendas.

Personally, I don't think it's really fair to call out the show on where it's going after one episode.  It's like we've just picked out the car and we haven't actually driven anywhere yet. 

I think the desire to be sold well in syndication definitely dictated the very large extent to which the show was procedural and non-serialised as much as possible.  An understandable commercial consideration, but a shame creatively as that limited the degree to which storylines were ongoing and followed up upon.  I am always going to be happy if they become less procedural going forward since I much prefer serialised storytelling, and many procedurals have lots of serialised elements nowadays anyway.  As long as it's not something as convoluted as Lost, don't underestimate the audience's ability to pick up the story.

Do you mind sharing the link to where this is coming from? If they put it out there on the internet, there's no need to hide. Where it's coming from would provide some indication of whether there's any credibility or objectivity at all, or none. I just find many of these bullshit rumours over the years to have an insidious way of creeping into people's minds and make them think there's some truth to it when, really, it's complete bollocks. People think there's a grain of truth, when in reality, some people just get off (and clicks) on making stuff up completely for their own agendas.

Personally, I don't think it's really fair to call out the show on where it's going after one episode. It's like we've just picked out the car and we haven't actually driven anywhere yet.

I think the desire to be sold well in syndication definitely dictated the very large extent to which the show was procedural and non-serialised as much as possible. An understandable commercial consideration, but a shame creatively as that limited the degree to which storylines were ongoing and followed up upon. I am always going to be happy if they become less procedural going forward since I much prefer serialised storytelling, and many procedurals have lots of serialised elements nowadays anyway. As long as it's not something as convoluted as Lost, don't underestimate the audience's ability to pick up the story.

It was posted on someone's tumblr under a claim that it was taken from an article? I have asked the owner of said tumblr if they could link but so far all I have is silence?? If they do post I will link it here but I am concluding that their silence is telling.

It was posted on someone's tumblr under a claim that it was taken from an article? I have asked the owner of said tumblr if they could link but so far all I have is silence?? If they do post I will link it here but I am concluding that their silence is telling.

I vaguely recall seeing a rumour, again unsubstantiated, that he had negotiated two days OFF per episode, so perhaps this is a corruption of that.

It's definitely an unnamed source - I'll go with BS but it's getting harder and harder to ignore what's driving the show this season and it ain't organic storytelling....

I find this interesting

https://twitter.com/patmunn/status/644935218441388032

Does that kind of thing really matter??

Also I am really weirded out by how sad I am that McCord is dead - anyone else??!!

This coming from Editor in chief of ??? with less than 700 Followers on Twitter?  Consider the source

Interesting that Alfred Sole said that the order to make the PI set James Bond-ish came directly from TPTB, which they wanted instead of the old school, noir PI vibe last season.  Between that and Ferraris and motorcycles, are they trying to hip up the show?

I hope not. Castle has never been hip, cool, fashionable, cutting edge etc, that's part of the show's charm. If that's what they're trying to do they should stop because it's turning the show into something it's never been. Nathan has even said he's protective of Castle's and the fact it's considered uncool to watch. I love James Bond but I don't want to see them turning Castle into a super agent/secret spy with conspiracies at every turn and a need to rescue the world from certain destruction. He's a writer who churns out murder mystery novels who fell in love with a beautiful, strong, homicide detective but they seem to be increasingly moving away from the show's origins with this Castle PI and big bad conspiracy stuff and I don't see it gaining the show a new fanbase to any huge degree. In fact it may risk driving quite a few existing viewers away. 

But they changed the colour of Castle's shirt, oh joy.

Heh, I'm willing to give an episode extra bonus points if they put Castle in a different coloured shirt I'm that desperate to see a change in his wardrobe.  

Edited by verdana