Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chili's

I recently had a friend adopt a 3 legged cat and she is still super speedy.

I have a tripod kitty, too, and made the mistake a few summers ago of taking her in the backyard for some sun, thinking, "She won't be able to get away fast."  MIS-TAKE. Sophie took off like a shot and it took the combined efforts of the LiberryLass and me to corral her and get her safely back inside.  (Our cats are all indoor cats, because of cars, coyotes, etc.) If a cat loses a back leg, it can get around nearly as well as a four-legged cat.  So, no handicapped parking sticker for Sophie!

Well it's so dead in here, I may as well give an update to the male and female tortoises in the 'hood. I saw them both out and the female had part of her shell missing. One of the homeowners came outside so I questioned this. Apparently the male got all pissy and - in turtle world- built up some speed and rammed into her, knocked her into the fence. And then she compensated and nearly flipped over on her shell. Poor thing.

Just realized it's just a Ray Rice world all over man. All. Over.  (But, they also said the female tortoise does some shit to the guy sometimes too. Their backyard must be a WFE battlezone)

Oh I know what else I can mention- I figure there's a Veronica Mars thread but I know several of y'all are Marshmellows. I finally saw the movie on netflix. (I'm not gonna spoiler this, it's been like 6 months)  I wasn't too thrilled she was with Piz, at the beginning but -- she goes back to Neptune, and Logan?  Blegh. Blergh. Ugh. And-- Bill Haverchuck was the bad guy? I have issues with that too. Anyhow- not too impressed with the movie. I can't see it going any further now.

• Love 1

I liked the movie, it was like a long episode.

I didn't like the relationship angle though. She's with a guy for 9 years and never met his parents? And then ditches him and hooks up with another guy the same day? Come on Veronica!

No. She wasn't with PIz for 9 years. They broke up after college and recently reconnected. I think Veronica and Piz had only been dating for about a year at the start of the movie. Maybe less. Piz has a couple lines about it. (I've watched the movie way to many times).

As someone who originally liked Veronica with Duncan (yes, really) and then shipped her with Weevil, I have to say, I was not disappointed in the Veronica/Logan angle. There was something about this 9 years later Logan who was still intense, but more silently so, that was very comforting and sexy to me. I could see how Veronica, at 30, would be attracted to that. 

Should I go on? I really enjoyed the movie. And the book that came out afterwards. I'm excitedly awaiting the next novel. 

No. She wasn't with PIz for 9 years. They broke up after college and recently reconnected. I think Veronica and Piz had only been dating for about a year at the start of the movie. Maybe less. Piz has a couple lines about it. (I've watched the movie way to many times).

As someone who originally liked Veronica with Duncan (yes, really) and then shipped her with Weevil, I have to say, I was not disappointed in the Veronica/Logan angle. There was something about this 9 years later Logan who was still intense, but more silently so, that was very comforting and sexy to me. I could see how Veronica, at 30, would be attracted to that. 

Should I go on? I really enjoyed the movie. And the book that came out afterwards. I'm excitedly awaiting the next novel. 

Oh he did? I've only watched it once :P I thought it was that they'd basically been together the whole time. I still didn't like the Logan/Veronica thing but it was inevitable.. Rob pandered to the fans.

I was also a Weevil shipper too, I didn't really like his story line :( I wonder if they will fix that (I haven't read any of the books,  not sure I will)

So, unrelated.. my bf plays Runescape, there is this event that happens once every 7hrs and you can do it once a day.. he joins a team that makes you register with them up to 2hrs in advance. He basically organises things around this and it sometimes drives me a bit crazy.. should I be ok with this or be annoyed that we need to plan around a game?

I'm a gamer (so is Guts) so this doesn't bother me that much.

The thing that would bother me would be if he stopped making plans with you because of it. But if it's more like, "Ok, we're meeting Bob & Sally for dinner at 5 which means I can play before 3 or after we get back." I wouldn't be bothered.

He plans around a game, and I'm sure that all of us at some point or another (or all the time) have planned around a TV show, even with the options available to see it another time. And people who want to run most days would plan when they're going to do that. I don't see that it's very different.

I liked the Veronica Mars movie quite a bit. It really was just an excellent episode, but longer. I always liked Piz. I never really cared who Veronica was with, though, but I just wanted her to be happy. (She's real, right?)

How good is your TV show memory, for the last 50+ years?  Try this quiz.  I only got 35%. I blame it on the fact that I was half listening to a podcast and it distracted me from remembering shows from way, way wayback.

What bothered me about VM: the movie was it seemed more like a pilot, a reboot, that they were trying to set it up for more. It fails that way for me. (and books/ novelizations don't count, Glory)

Thanks for the thoughts guys.. I guess it is just annoying when we're making dinner and it gets close to the time and he says "oh I can't do x because of my game thing" I will try and be more tolerant of it :P

I think I'd do poorly at that quiz KOB. Not even sure if it is worth trying :P

I got 27%; average is 30%. My brain wasn't working -- I couldn't think!! King of Birds, I'd be pretty happy with 35% when distracted.

Kalliste, does he let you know as soon as he schedules his game when it's going to be? Then you can both schedule around his game, which might be annoying for you, but perhaps it's better than you being suddenly derailed.

Edited by Too Late Kev

Yeah I mostly know, it's basically the same time each day of the week (so, 7PM on Monday, 11PM on Tuesday etc).. I guess the issue is that he has to be watching from 2 hrs before the event (which itself only takes 15mins) because there is no set time that they do the team, the he needs to be there 15mins before the event so basically a 15min thing takes up to 2 and a half hrs everyday.

As someone that isn't much of an online gamer (don't really get into rpgs or mmo) I just don't understand the need to do it every day really.

I let a lot of the train stuff that Mr. Toast does, which consists mostly at looking at maps online, slide because I'm on the computer a lot doing PTV. We both realize it gives a lot of happiness in life and just go with it. Though, there is a thought of perhaps he could not do it every day. It would help if it was something you shared, but if it was something he did before he met you, I don't think asking him to give it up entirely is fair. Maybe he could set aside a day that's just for you. 

I will say that the online game stuff is HUGE. I guess he disproves the trope that gamers all live in their parents basement and don't have girlfriends.

Lol, I know many gamers who are married with kids :) And also many female gamers, I used to play games a lot but the types of games I like aren't popular anymore and I guess didn't make enough money, everything now seems to be about RPGs, FPS and being MMO which just doesn't really interest me.

Yes, he played games before we met, but wasn't playing it when we met/got together.. does that count? :P

Essentially, what you're all saying is I should let it slide :)

Can we just admit that hummus is over?

Hummus has its time and its place. For instance, leftover chicken - have it with some hummus.

Why do people who work in stores give me blank stares when I ask if they have tv trays? Did I imagine my childhood? Did they ever really exist?

You mean, the Swanson Fried Chicken dinners, or the actual small fold out tables from the 60s/70s?  BTW Take a good look at that image link I found for the Swanson dinner--- $.89!  Eighty-nine friggin' cents. Crazy.

didn't come up with I Love Lucy.

I forgot that too!

Edited by King of Birds

stewedsquash, I think they are called "snack trays/tables" now.  Bed Bath & Beyond may be a good place to look. 

Ah, Swanson dinners.  We were poor so we had to settle for Banquet.  Does anyone else remember when you could just get the Swanson fried chicken separately, in a box of 10 pieces?  We used to do that a lot.  

Hamburger pizza? And it comes with oatmeal cookies? I mean, did you have to open this, remove the cookies, and then heat/ nuke up?  Who microwaves a cookie? (Answer: Heathens)

I weep for the poor children of the world, who may have eaten microwaved cookies.

I can't actually remember KOB, I believe it was all microwaved together because it had a wrapping that you needed to pierce.. so yes you probably had soggy cookie. I can't remember if the one I liked as a kid had them, I recall mac and cheese and peas.

I remember a frozen dinner that had fish sticks in it? Maybe? I feel like the box was yellow. And it was designed specially for kids. Hmm...

I do still like frozen dinners as an adult. I try to always have a few Amy's meals in my freezer for nights I don't want to cook. I especially like the lentil loaf, the brown rice & tofu bowl, and the pesto tortellini. God, I'm old.

I'm also eating yogurt with All Bran on it for breakfast at this exact moment. Seriously old. WHAT HAPPENED TO FRUIT LOOPS!?

I don't think I've ever had one of those frozen dinners.  I mean, I've had plenty of frozen food, but I don't think I've ever had one of the complete dinner type, with the main course and the little vegetable on the side and all that.  There's something very quaint about that.

Oh lookit this. A certain someone must be feeling his oats today. He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Mr Producer-man.

ETA:

I don't think I've ever had one of those frozen dinners.

I haven't had one in about ... 35 years. Every once in a while it was a back of the freezer "KoB didn't want the same thing as what was on the table" type of thing. But that's like Spaghetti-Os. I can't fathom having those anymore, after having that a bunch in college. (I didn't do ramen, that's what my other friends were picking up).

WHAT HAPPENED TO FRUIT LOOPS!?

Someone please make this bumper sticker for Glory, thanks in advance.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

I'm also eating yogurt with All Bran on it for breakfast at this exact moment. Seriously old. WHAT HAPPENED TO FRUIT LOOPS!?

Growing up my parents would never let me eat froot loops so I finally tried them on a camping trip when I was 18.. I hated them :P I couldn't work out what people liked so much about them.

I eat yoghurt, berries and oats these days, so don't be too worried :P I did have Milo Cereal for a snack at work the other day though.. it felt pretty weird.

I don't want Krasinski to produce! How am I supposed to ogle him if he's not in front of a camera? He and Zach Levi are seriously disappointing me lately.

You guys made me remember how much I used to love those Swanson fried chicken TV dinners when I was a kid. Now? I wouldn't feel my kids that swill - and my standards for food for my kids are pretty damn low. I used to beg my mom to let me have those for dinner. I also remember my mom is not a very good cook, so that could have had something to do with it.

As usual in Chicago, it went from summer to fall in about a day.  I just hope winter doesn't come next week. I love fall.

The tv dinners I used to love as a kid were the looney tunes ones

I remember the commercials for these when I was little, but they were not something my parents were interested in buying.  We may have had them a few times when we had a babysitter?  I have no memories of them being particularly good, I bet they were not!

Does anyone remember Lunchables?  I'm pretty sure you can still get them at the grocery store.  I wanted those for school lunches so much when they first came out and was not allowed to have them -- mean (but really sensible in the long run) parents!

I've been eating Raisin Bran this week, so I'll join you in the "old" cereals department... maybe I should switch it up for some Eggos or Pop Tarts!  None of this oatmeal or whole wheat toast!

They mostly remind me of Mean Girls.  But I never ate Toaster Strudel growing up.  

maybe I should switch it up for some Eggos or Pop Tarts!

I avoid Pop Tarts because they tend to trigger acid reflux for me (all the sugar and fat, I guess), but I have to admit I dig an Eggo.  I get them from time to time.  

• Love 1

There are a few different gluten-free Pop-Tart-like items. They are not actually remotely Pop-Tart-like, and none of them have frosting, which was always a requirement, as far as I was concerned. I've seen recipes to make your own GF Pop-Tarts, but who has the time for that? (Ain't nobody got time for that.)

• Love 2

Even back when I did eat Pop Tarts on occasion I made sure to avoid any with frosting.  I don't understand that frosting.  It's like spackle basically, as far as I can tell, and certainly doesn't seem like something meant to be eaten.  But then I'm also someone who thinks the "cream" (I'm using that term loosely) is the worst part of an Oreo.  I believe my opinions on these matters fall outside the norm.  

I never really understood the hype over poptarts. I remember when they came out here I was like "yeah! poptarts!" and then they were like cardboard.

I also don't really like oreos at all, unless they're in icecream or a chocolate drink.

All this anti-Oreo talk demands that I come here and yet again say:

What Is Wrong With You People???

I'm not a Double-stuf fan- the Oreo in it's original cookie fan is the correct relationship of crunchy outside to creamy inside.

Just because I've been pissed the last few hours because of another round of stupid corporate-ese  (The Bill Simmons-ESPN situation, if you heard about it) I just have to get out something else.

JETPACK!!  we haven't mentioned them in ages. I needed that outburst for some levity.  Continue on ...

Oooh... I love oreos. But they've gotten so darn expensive! It's like $5 for a package. Ugh. I'm cheap. 

I like the peanut butter oreos. Sweet deliciousness. 

I do like the occasional pop-tart. Guts has them for breakfast every morning. He eats them right out of the package. I like to toast them. They don't have any flavor unless they're toasted. 

I also like the occasional Poptart (or used to; I'm still working on losing weight, and they aren't worth the huge calorie count to me). My faves were the cherry and strawberry frosted.  However, once Toaster Strudels came along, that became my default for quick and cheap morning pastries.

I'm not an Oreo fan; they are okay, but I always thought Hydroxes were better.  My favorite store cookies used to be the Cup Custards, but those went away years ago, and I never found an acceptable substitute. My preference now is for the HannahMax cookie chips.

Counting down to vacation!  Just over two weeks to go now.  Can't wait to get out of here!

All this anti-Oreo talk demands that I come here and yet again say:

What Is Wrong With You People???

I'm not a Double-stuf fan- the Oreo in it's original cookie fan is the correct relationship of crunchy outside to creamy inside.

I'm not anti-Oreo!  I don't love them, but I think they're a tasty cookie.  I just think the "cream" leaves much to be desired.  But I wouldn't get rid of it entirely.  I just agree with you that the original cookie has the correct relationship (perhaps there could even be slightly less filling).  But I hear so many people say they prefer Double-Stuf and I've even heard people complain that there's less filling in the regular kind than they're used to be (I have no idea if that's true) and for me when it comes to Oreo I'm there for the cookie, not the cream.  

I do like the occasional pop-tart. Guts has them for breakfast every morning. He eats them right out of the package. I like to toast them. They don't have any flavor unless they're toasted.

I think they're a tasty snack and if they didn't reliably give me reflux I'd probably keep some in my prep room at work.  I sort of agree with you on the toasting--I don't think they have no flavor without toasting but I think they're much better toasted--but one of the reasons I think Pop Tarts are so popular and work well as a snack is because they're still good cold.

This is also why I always found it poor strategy when Toaster Strudel used to (still do?) market themselves as a tastier alternative to Pop Tarts (and not only because when I tried Toaster Strudel I thought the filling had a weird and kind of unpleasant taste to it).  Because nobody's going to grab a frozen Toaster Strudel and pop it in their school bag to eat later as a snack.  And that's exactly what people do with Pop Tarts.  They're an extremely popular snack (or breakfast, since if my students are anything like me they don't eat before leaving the house in the morning) for my students.  

I've never heard of Cup Custards, even years ago. Maybe they're a regional thing; I've never lived very far west. I like custard, though, so they sound good to me.

I buy Oreos for the gluten-eaters in the family, but I wait until there's a sale and then stock up. I try to get them at $2 or $2.50. I kind of remember their regular price at $2.99, though, so either I'm misremembering or again, it's a regional price difference.

I always had my Pop Tarts toasted; that was definitely how they were best. But yeah, my kids who eat them just eat them untoasted. Not sure how that happened (beyond it making sense for their school lunches).

Holy crap!  We just had a huge earthquake.  Like, the biggest I've ever felt since living here (so, over 40 years).  In fact, it was the first time I've ever "ducked and covered" for an earthquake.  Whooo!

Now I'm worried about my resin dolls at home. with any luck, they won't fall on their faces, so the damage is minimal even on the hard floors. 

Man, I'm still a bit twitchy!

Congrats, Toast! What's your new job all about?

I'm a huge fan of Double-Stuf. Sometimes there's Mega-Stuf, which is totally the bomb.  I believe those were designed for people like me, who open the cookie up and eat the inside first.

But Pixel, do you eat the cookie part too, or just the inside?

Back to what Glory mentioned- I can be "economical" about cookies and treats too. I found some sugar-free lemon cake treat (I've been trying to cut back on sugary stuff) and was like great! but then the price was 2X as much as anything else on the table. I did NOT "treat m'self" and pick that up. In fact, I've been cookie-less for a few weeks. Dammit. Is that what's wrong with me?  (yeah, That's it)

And going back to the previous page again-  should I be surprised that Cheerios has not made a gluten-free version? Damn, there are so many kinds of Cheerios. I miss Frosted Cheerios... it's been about 10 years since I indulged in that. This morning I had half a banana and 4 strawberries. What kind of sorta healthy eating middle aged idiot have I turned into?

Whew! Ran home at lunch, and everything is fine. Could barely tell there was a quake. The only sign was one of my vinyl dolls was slightly tilted on her stand. The resin dolls were solid as rocks.  Didn't even shake my CDs/DVDs out of the spinner storage unit.  Sometimes squat old (1959) houses are best.

• Love 2