Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Something’s Got To Give

omgsowicked

Drew is committed to keeping Becky happy but his situation with Clare has his attention divided. Maya lies in order to protect Miles, but the guilt is eating her up. Imogen is determined to find out who is behind the crooked online venture that has everyone at Degrassi talking.

Another baby boy? Why doesn't Degrassi like girls? (laugh) Liberty had a boy, Jenna had a boy, Clare's having a boy.... but wow. Drew is  not the father. (after he was so adult like and dumped Becky (so she can obviously go with MusicBoy),, and he wanted to name the baby Adam (which was like answering my question if everyone kind of sort of forgot about him). 

so wondering what's going to happen with Degrassi nudes now that Simpson knows.. (and the police)? Jack was way too "whatever" for me. 

• Love 3

Finally some forward momentum.

A-Plot. Finally, the end of Matlingsworth. Mama Matlin finally dropped some knowledge on her daughter, stating the obvious (well, to any grown person. Well, most grown people). She can't worry herself to death about Miles, especially since Miles has taken no proactive step in actually dealing with her father, not talking to the police about the shove or confronting him or telling anyone else.

Speaking of Miles, he grated so much. I wish Dallas did hit him. He's spiraling out of control and I have the feeling he's probably going to hit Tristan soon.

B-Plot. I heard about the leaked episode and I was mad when I read the spoiler, but now watching the episode, I'm practically kicking my legs in the air cackling at this hot mess. The Drecky break-up was for the best; Drew can't split his time between being Becky's boyfriend and also be the baby's father and it wasn't fair to Becky that she was only getting have a boyfriend.

As for the end of the episode, lololololololol. I know some people are angry, but y'all have to know everything comes back to EClare eventually. It is sad that they did want to name the baby after Adam...I wonder if the miscarriage will happen; it is weird messaging that the show's teen power couple will go into the sunset Babies Ever After.

C-Plot. This was okay. I like it when Imogen isn't the quirky girl, she has shown a lot of conviction when it comes to sexism and being treated equally so she has a point at being mad at Jack. Jack's inclusion in Degrassi Nudes is still strange to me, but if she's willing to do polyamory and at least pretend she's more mature than everyone, it makes sense she doesn't think it was a big deal. Shrug.

• Love 3

Emma will return and lecture everyone about feminism and bodies and stuff and that time she stripped in front of school.

Or Paige/Manny could visit and school them on their experiences. Which would be better. Besides, Paige and Spinner reunion. (Spinner was not wearing a wedding band!!! ) Because back in Boycott the Caf days, the rumors were that Snake er Simpson was the puppet of Spike and Emma.

• Love 2

I loved the preview where Clare's saying there's something that could fix their relationship and Eli asks how stupid is she? I know I'm mean but sometimes it's better to express things and not sugar coat them....

Becky and Drew were both wrong this week. I think it's rude to check messages like Drew was doing, and Drew was stupid to double-book. But Becky had to realize that he would need to put time into being a parent, too. I feel bad for her because her family is so rotten, but she'll be fine. Dating your ex's brother/dating your brother's ex is weird and I'm glad that's done.

Miles and Maya both moved in the right direction. I'm glad Maya's mom is decent; at least there's one adult on the show who isn't totally useless. Miles is a mess but at least Maya is starting to extricate herself.

I thought it was weird that Imogen was framing the boob pics as "cheating" rather than any number of other reasons why it was a bad idea. That to me seemed like a weak argument, when there were so many stronger ones. But I like her best when she's being true to herself and I thought it was very in character.

They could still name Clare's baby "Adam," regardless of who the father is. I kind of hope they do, actually.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

Maya/Miles - I'm torn because I like that Maya's a part of Miles' story, and I expected her to figure out what was going on with Miles sooner than Tristan (since she's seen a lot more Hollingsworth drama than he has) but I feel like Tristan should've been the one discovering the depths of Miles' problems with his dad, not Maya. Now she all but knows for certain that Mr. H is physically abusing Miles, while Tristan has no clue, and he's the one dating him. I have a feeling he's not going to find out this block, either... they probably want to milk it for a while.

I'm glad her mom told her she can't help someone who's not ready to be helped, and once they sort through their problems, I'd actually like to see them as friends.

Clare/Drew - I would have been more shocked if this story had gone the other way around... Eli and Clare planning for a baby that turned out to be Drew's. I'm annoyed that basically everything we've watched was pointless, and I can't believe that Clare never once considered that Eli could be the father when she apparently slept with him just a month before Drew. I guess they thought it would be a better surprise to play it like she knew for sure but it's just so stupid.

So now Drew's going to lose the child he's grown attached to; once because it's not actually his, and then again because the baby probably isn't going to survive. That's three times he's going to lose "Adam", all to give Eclare another effing go. Ugh, I'm so not looking forward to Eli's face lighting up at the fact that their "fairytale" can now continue. You know, damn these writers for actually selling me on Clare/Drew, only to pull this crap.

The Drecky breakup was ridiculous but so was their relationship so whatever. Drew did the right thing, realizing he needed to do right by both of these girls. But once Drew finds out he's not the father, what will be his purpose? He'll have no connection to anyone.

Imogen/Jack - I wish Jack had a more defined personality because I end up more interested in how she'll behave rather than the actual story she's in. This week was cutesy and indifferent. Had to laugh when she said Imogen was acting like a 12 year old, as if that's not how she acts pretty much all the time.

Edited by omgsowicked
  • Love 4
I can't believe that Clare never once considered that Eli could be the father when she apparently slept with him just a month before Drew.

This!  It's annoying that it never entered her mind at all and she immediately placed the blame on Drew.  I'm trying to remember when she and Eli slept together last season.  Was it at Thanksgiving?  Sex on Degrassi is always so unclear; I never realize they have sex until the characters actually say it!  And of course Clare waits to tell Drew, because god forbid she thinks about someone else besides herself and her epic romance.

Jack continues to be annoying because she's so mature and above it all.  Her response about the oomphchat was so true to her characterization.  So was Imogen's and her trying to find out who she could text her boobs to.

Loved the break-up smoothie scene.  It's the only time I actually liked Becky this episode.  Drew always gets screwed when he tries to do the right thing.

• Love 2

It's so weird that I now like Douche Bag Mama's Boy Boiler Room Drew of Season um.....Shark in the Water? He's a different guy now. I still loathe Claire.

Tristan would have never noticed anything with Miles because he loves the idea of love, not the actual person. This is a story they need to explore, as I'm sure it's about 80% of TeenNick's target audience. It would help a lot of people, too. Tristan is the Manny to Miles 's Craig, minus the abortion and Cinderella fantasy. I hope they explore Tristan and his issues because Manny was hot, Marco was confident, and Riley was a jock. Fiona was popular and um drunk? So, it'd be different to see a character actually address their esteem issues. Also, that not everyone needs to be in love.

• Love 3

They could still name Clare's baby "Adam," regardless of who the father is. I kind of hope they do, actually.

I can neither confirm nor deny ending up with a lump in my throat when she suggested it

• Love 1

I'm almost impressed at the foreshadowing that Eli was the father. Eli was sure he was, Drew commented that he and Clare did everything right, Audra wanted a paternity test. I hope the show explains why Clare was so convinced it was Drew's baby. I also look forward to the moment she realizes that Drew was a better pregnancy partner than Eli. 

There's a lot about this story I like. I liked the idea of good friends who aren't in love going through the pregnancy together. I'm interested to see how this changes things, and how Drew deals with the news. 

I also liked that Imogen's reaction was to accuse Jack of cheating. While it's the least of what Jack did wrong in this scenario, it's something I think high school kids can identify with it. They may romanticize sending naked pictures without thinking of how it upsets their partner. 

• Love 1

Am I a horrible person for desperately wanting Care to miscarry? Because I do, just to make this storyline disappear. She's being shockingly and uncharacteristically stupid (not realizing that a baby would, you know, change stuff, and not realizing that date of conception isn't an incontrovertible medical certainty to the very minute you fucked a guy). And it's bringing out all of the parts of Drew ("I'm gonna step up and do the right thing because I need to BE A MAN") and Eli ("I'm going to pout about the dissolution of our epic romance") that I hate. The only character I can stand in this whole thing is Audra, as usual.

• Love 3

Drew's at his best when he's just being normal, screw up Drew.  Although, I did like them kind of grooming him to be a politician, as that seems perfect for his personality type.  Pissed they moved away from that angle.

And Eli's at his best when's he's not making decisions based on Clare, when he's not emo-ing over Clare, and generally when he's just not thinking about her at all.  He needs another Fiona-like bff in his life.

Audra's always the best.  An actual adult doing actual parenting on this show....refreshing!

It's annoying that it never entered her mind at all and she immediately placed the blame on Drew.  I'm trying to remember when she and Eli slept together last season.  Was it at Thanksgiving?  Sex on Degrassi is always so unclear; I never realize they have sex until the characters actually say it! 

I know, it's always a surprise to me. I calculated the date, and it would have been early September that the little custard was conceived.

The only reason I can think that Clare was so sure it was Drew who was the father was that maybe she was spotting for her entire pregnancy so far. She didn't know she was pregnant, after all, and she's explicitly experienced spotting in the show. I can't think of any other reason.

Am I a horrible person for desperately wanting Care to miscarry? Because I do, just to make this storyline disappear. She's being shockingly and uncharacteristically stupid (not realizing that a baby would, you know, change stuff, and not realizing that date of conception isn't an incontrovertible medical certainty to the very minute you fucked a guy). And it's bringing out all of the parts of Drew ("I'm gonna step up and do the right thing because I need to BE A MAN") and Eli ("I'm going to pout about the dissolution of our epic romance") that I hate. The only character I can stand in this whole thing is Audra, as usual.

When they did the ultrasound I thought for sure she was going to have miscarried, especially since the whole "OMG the baby was kicking" thing. I think Degrassi should do a miscarriage plot. There have been so many pregnancies, relative to the number of characters, and many pregnancies end in miscarriage. I'm sure I'd love to hate miscarriage!Clare. Then again it might give me like her more...

• Love 1

When they did the ultrasound I thought for sure she was going to have miscarried...

For a while, I did, too. Well, maybe it was wishful thinking. But yeah, they really blew up that whole "the baby is kicking!" thing. I guess tonight she'll try to appeal to Eli and get a smackdown (Mean Eli is so... mean, you know?). But I agree - Clare, how stupid are you at this point?

The only reason I can think that Clare was so sure it was Drew who was the father was that maybe she was spotting for her entire pregnancy so far. She didn't know she was pregnant, after all, and she's explicitly experienced spotting in the show. I can't think of any other reason.

This is all I can think of as well. I think a lot of teenagers don't know that you can be pregnant while showing signs of your period, so it would be a lesson as well as a plot twist. 

• Love 1

This episode was boring. The biggest moment was probably the baby thing and it's less interesting when you've seen it for the nth time. The last time I remember it was just this season on Nashville. There was nothing interesting seeing the oomphchat scandal through the lens of Imogen and Jack's relationship. I still don't get Jack's characterization at all and for that matter, I don't get Imogen's either. Maybe they need to assign one person to just write those characters because otherwise they're all over the place. I really don't care about the hit and run thing and it seems like the show doesn't care either. Pulling out that ploy about Rocky being in the car was a pathetic attempt at getting more sympathy and pulling those emotional strings harder than this plotline deserved. Why would Dallas even be driving Rocky around during school hours? I feel like they just gave up on the Becky/Drew relationship in this episode. I hope they get back together if only to make this time the show has invested not seem completely wasted.

How did Clare wind up thinking the baby was Drew's? Was there an episode where the doctor told her the wrong conception date?

I don't watch the show consistently (that is, week to week) and it tends to disappear into the ether once I have but I feel like maybe another doctor or nurse gave her a reason to think it was Drew. Maybe she thought it was Eli but then she heard she was x weeks along and assumed it was Drew instead of going farther back. Again, timelines are confusing on this show.

Observations and nit picks:

• Quite the coincidence that of all the vehicles on all the streets in Degrassi-land, Miles just happened to hit Dallas’s car, but I guess the plot wants what the plot wants, deus ex machina, and so on...
  • Snake doesn’t seem to be wearing a tie this season.
  • I like that they were going to name the baby Adam.
  • Hollingsworth doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who would misplace his phone.  I think a big-time politico like him would have it surgically attached to his palm. And speaking of bit-time politico'ing, it doesn't seem consistent that Miles and Maya are gonna skate on this one due to Hollingsworth smoothing things over. C'mon, hit and run? Lying to the police? Reckless endangerment? DUI?  If there was anything that I thought I could count on in Degrassi universe, it's that actions always have consequences, and consequences must paid. Very disillusioning... 
Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1