Type keyword(s) to search

CBB15 (2015): Winter of Our Malcontents

I liked Jim Davidson :)

CBB season 16's theme is *Twisted Fairytale*, here is what the promo material says:

"The house has been redesigned to include "whimsical elements that conjure up a magical atmosphere full of possibility and curiosity", but the new batch of celebrities shouldn't get too comfortable as Channel 5 warned that "there are hints that something more sinister may be lurking".

"Will the celebrities relish their fairytale adventure or will it become a living nightmare?" the channel said. "As always in the Big Brother house, celebrities should expect the unexpected as there will be secrets, twists and surprises around each corner."

The casting rumours - apparently Linda Evans, Perez Hilton, and Michelle Visage have all been approached, and they've openly banned people from all those terrible Jersey Shore knockoffs this time around - seem to suggest the season is going to be amazing. (I reserve the right to rescind this statement on Day 2.)

Is the large pack of nobody Americans some kind of scheme by BB to create an us vs, them mentality?  A reaction to Gary Busey winning?  Or are they just out of Grade Z UK nobodies?

I know this--the UK press and forums will probably be filled with anti-American slurs and outrage (as if America foisted these nobodies on their show on PURPOSE?).

• Love 1

Bit of both - they're close to running out of UK celebrities who are in the "famous enough to consider, not famous enough to be above it" range, PLUS they went out of their way to avoid having anybody from The Only Way is Essex/Geordie Shore/et cetera this time around because they finally realised people were bored by seeing the same phony love story every six months.

For those of you trying to pick the winner, the current odds:

Keith Chegwin 5/2

Nadia Sawalha 9/2

Katie Hopkins 13/2

Calum Best 7/1

Perez Hilton 7/1

Michelle Visage 12/1

Patsy Kensit 12/1

Ken Morley 16/1

Jeremy Jackson 18/1

Kavana 20/1

Alexander O'Neal 40/1

Chloe Goodman 40/1

Alicia Douvall 50/1

Cami Li 50/1

I have to say, though, Perez Hilton actually looks pretty good, considering that he was once much heavier and grosser looking.  I also didn't know that he had a two-year-old son.  But you can butch up your appearance all you want, Perez -- I still see that purse dropping out of your mouth every time you open it!

I have to say, though, Perez Hilton actually looks pretty good, considering that he was once much heavier and grosser looking.  

The grossness just moved inside of him.

• Love 1

Ug! I always look forward to the CBB UK.  I don't watch any other Big Brother show US or UK. Although I'm American I'm disappointed in the number of American "celebs". There are a couple I'm okay with but there are just too many.  I don't watch CBB UK to see Americans vs. the Brits. 

Then to top it off, we have Katie Hopkins. Her observations aren't clever. They aren't entertaining.  She isn't controversial. She is just pathetic and sad. I can't see anyone taking to heart something she says. She is just too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Of course, if I knew that everyone would just ignore her and not engage in her need for attention, I would watch just for that. 

I think I'll try to watch this series but don't know if I'll make it to the end. 

Then to top it off, we have Katie Hopkins. Her observations aren't clever. They aren't entertaining.  She isn't controversial. She is just pathetic and sad. I can't see anyone taking to heart something she says. She is just too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Of course, if I knew that everyone would just ignore her and not engage in her need for attention, I would watch just for that. 

I think I'll try to watch this series but don't know if I'll make it to the end.

Katie Hopkins is apparently someone who's regarded as clever by the Britsh public, because she's prepared ahead of time. It's sniping at people in print, twitter, or if on TV in a well rehearsed venue. Spontaneously, she's a total wash, because she's fairly ordinary, or probably even below par, off the cuff.
  • Love 1

Perez is the most annoying and most fake person there, but I'm glad people are seeing it. He acted like launch night was a party hosted at his house. Pathetic that he greeted every person like he was their best friend and stated the 3 facts he knew about each one right off the bat. What is the point of doing research? We want to see the ones who don't already know each other get to know each other organically. Even how he talks... he sounds like Madonna's fake british accent.

Katie Hopkins is apparently someone who's regarded as clever by the Britsh public, because she's prepared ahead of time. It's sniping at people in print, twitter, or if on TV in a well rehearsed venue. Spontaneously, she's a total wash, because she's fairly ordinary, or probably even below par, off the cuff.

I can't believe my first post on here is about Katie Hopkins.  Please believe me when I say she is NOT regarded as clever by the British public whatsoever.  Well, at least most of the British public. However, you are correct with the rest of your post that she is prepared ahead of time as regards tweets and tv appearances and her column is probably written by somebody else.

This season is already better than last year's CBB, drama-wise. I didn't want to see Jeremy booted, as I thought he had a lot of entertainment value for the season ahead, but BB really had no choice, given how Chloe reacted. Everyone handled it maturely knowing BB would do whatever needed to be done, except Perez ("I don't feel safe")...please will he STFU. He really thinks every situation revolves around him. I know Katie Hopkins from when she was on Apprentice so I know she is a villain and all, but I love her for always being the one to call him out. I viscerally hate Ken but I did laugh when he and Perez got into their argument later on, when he called Perez an "irrelevent American" and was charging at him in the bathroom (I wonder if that counted as some kind of attack). Ken is racist, dirty old perv and he can go ASAP, maybe after he and Perez yell at each other a few more times.

I honestly thought Jeremy was still drunk and believed Chloe was hitting on him in the bathroom so he made a move and obviously was mistaken, and seemed sincerely sorry afterward, but BB had to remove him.

Katie seems to have a soft spot for Cheggers, I noticed this from the beginning that she wouldn't say anything bad about him. Do they have a friendship outside the house?

I thought Nadia would be chill but she seems to have a complaint constantly, whether it is bathroom habits or what Katie/Ken/anyone is saying that offends her. She is the offensive police, butting in when the offensive thing said wasn't even about her. The other housemates can defend themselves just fine.

This season is already better than last year's CBB, drama-wise. 

Overall there's no way this out dramas everything surrounding Gary Busey, the shit stirring of James, the bizareness of Frenchy, Dee revealing as time went on her true (ugly) nature, everything surrounding Kelly, etc. it's just that we have one really fresh in our minds super-dramatic incident that became a bit too real (vs. the artificial conflicts the show often has). 

Also, I think it's that the new sticks out more clearly than the old.  Jeremy being a total whack job is fresh in our minds. Ken being such an incredible stirrer is unexpected (so maybe fascinating).  

Perez is interesting mostly in that he's such a substandard human being outside the show, we're all just holding our breath waiting for the chips to fall with him--which IMO they did BIGTIME when like the true scumbag he is he instantly made what happened to Chloe into being about HIM.  In truth, this is one of the worst things I've ever seen on Big Brother.  What Jeremy did was disgusting and maybe even legally actionable, but you could use the excuse of being drunk (even if ultimately being drunk only reveals someone's character rather than actually making them do things against their character).  

But what Perez did--hijacking someone's trauma to call attention to himself--also shows what a poor excuse for a human being he is. Less dramatically than Jeremy's borderline sexual assault, but in a way in an even clearer sense, because the situation with Jeremy began and ended the moment Chloe objected. Whereas Perez just went on and on, listening to no one, that he was making something horrible and painful for someone else about himself--and even worse, not from a distance on the Internet, but literally around the corner (and literally moments before), a few feet away, from the person it happened to. What kind of substandard walking piece of shit in a human-suit DOES that?

Meanwhile, Katie, also seemingly a horrible human outside the show, is turning out mostly to be a dud.

Edited by Kromm

I sincerely don't know people watch this--it's just a bunch of awful people alternately shrieking and mumbling over each other. I can't understand what's being said half the time since two or three of them are generally shouting at once.

How long does it take to get pared down to where you can at least follow a conversation thread? I guess this will be going on for a few months?

Sorry to bitch and moan. I really want to see how Michelle Visage handles some of these situations, but was hoping for something more complex than pervy old dude and being subjected to whatever personality disorder Perez Hilton suffers from. Dear god, that guy needs to be institutionalized.

Meanwhile, Katie, also seemingly a horrible human outside the show, is turning out mostly to be a dud.

I think the producers are yet to realise the journalist-type housemates like Katie are used to thinking about what they say before they say it, which makes tasks like Katie's secret mission flounder. The only time any of them have ever really delivered was Liz Jones with Poor Dead Squeaky, and she had time to plan that before it happened.

How long does it take to get pared down to where you can at least follow a conversation thread? I guess this will be going on for a few months?

Usually about 25 days, but right around now people tend to start splitting into their own little groups, which makes it easier to follow. Unfortunately, Perez will probably not wind up in a group and will continue to pester everybody, getting nominated and having meltdowns every single time until he eventually finishes second.

If it's any consolation, apparently Ken's been ejected as well after he kept ranting about ogling the women's asses and Nadia threatened to call the police. So based on previous seasons, she'll be getting a massive wall of boos when she's evicted. Which won't be on Tuesday, because after everything that's happened they've cancelled the eviction.

• Love 1

Thank you, snide. I watched what I think was the most recent one, but I kept skipping Ken's scenes so I most likely missed the eviction. I caught the non-eviction tag at the end but I thought that referred to Jeremy, which was part of my plaintive whining above as I really want some of these people to gtfo.

Perez will make it till the end? Sigh, I do not have the temperament for non RPDR reality shows.

Perez could really go either way. He'll probably get nominated for every eviction, but it'll depend who he's up against in the vote. Nadia, for example, is apparently Public Enemy #1 in the UK for the unholy crime of not supporting sexual assault or bigotry, so if there's a Perez vs. Nadia eviction all the Nadia haters will vote for him to stay. My gut feeling right now is that the final five will be Keith winning, Perez second, Michelle third, Chloe fourth, and Kavana fifth.

• Love 1

Perez is utter scum, but the British public is sometimes even odder than the American public with their reality show voting. They'll often keep massive bullies in for no reason other than them being able to stir things, but often keep the most goddawful boring people, just because they're old conservative white British people.

"American" and "annoying" in one person though will usually mean gone.  The one big exception was Gary Busey, for a TON of different reasons.

I think Michelle goes further than him, but then ultimately loses to Keith, who I think has this locked up.  Nadia indeed is doomed sooner rather than later, and for the least flattering reason towards the Brits.  Perez may get a lot of the same backlash (a lot more deservedly in his case, since with Perez his sin is less that he objected to anything Ken did, but that in every situation with both the Jeremy AND Ken situations Perez hijacked the situation to pose himself as the ultimate victim).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I'm not even sure who Keith is. I'm still an infant in terms of understanding reality show tropes, but is the thing where they don't give the likely winner a lot of screentime at the beginning?

I'm not even sure who Keith is. I'm still an infant in terms of understanding reality show tropes, but is the thing where they don't give the likely winner a lot of screentime at the beginning?

This show isn't pre-recorded by more than a day or so.  That trope applies to shows that are recorded weeks or months in advance.

Or to be even clearer, the show is a mix of recorded bits and totally live ones.  But even the recorded bits are just from the day before.  The trope of using editing to hide a winner can't apply, when you (the producer) have no idea who that winner will be--unlike with a show like Survivor or The Amazing Race or Top Chef or Project Runway, where they either outright know the winner already is when they do that editing for the earlier episodes, or in the case of Survivor (which has a live finale) have a ton of footage banked up allowing them a good guess of who it will be).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Keith is a NATIONAL TREASURE.

.... oh is that not enough info for you?

I'm sure it is obvious to UK folks and they probably didn't need to explain much about their celebrities, but I did have to look some of them up. Apparently Keith is a long-time tv presenter, mostly from morning shows. I'm trying to think of an analogy, but American morning show-type people I can think of tend to start from journalism, not acting, like Keith did. Based on a few minutes of wikipedia, I would say he's like Regis Philbin.

• Love 1

We knew coming into this that Perez was a horrible subhuman piece of slime, but wow. I never expected it to be THIS bad.  Even Katie Hopkins, a moron of epic proportions on the outside is a piker compared to Perez.

• Love 2

Perez is just SO so vile.  I hated Busey last season, but he seems like rainbows and lollipops in comparison to Perez.  And the weird thing is that I can't tell how much is "acting", although I'm guessing it's at least 90%.  His alternating blubbering about wanting to go home and being a stupid twit in the DR and then shit-stirring (after which, any kind of reaction that he gets, he immediately declares himself the VICTIM) makes my head spin.  I really think he assumed that Brits would "love to hate him" like with Busey, so when he heard all the chants and boos, he didn't know what to do with himself.

I'm an American, but I didn't know most of the Americans on the show, including Michelle.  However, I would love for her and Cheggers to be the top two.

I'm kind of enjoying how dull Katie Price is. You just know they spent bucketloads of money trying to get her in - she's been rumoured as a housemate pretty much every time since CBB4 way back in 2006 - yet they've clearly failed to realise that when you live your life in the tabloids, there's really nothing new to learn.

• Love 1

Perez is just SO so vile.  I hated Busey last season, but he seems like rainbows and lollipops in comparison to Perez.  And the weird thing is that I can't tell how much is "acting", although I'm guessing it's at least 90%.  His alternating blubbering about wanting to go home and being a stupid twit in the DR and then shit-stirring (after which, any kind of reaction that he gets, he immediately declares himself the VICTIM) makes my head spin.  I really think he assumed that Brits would "love to hate him" like with Busey, so when he heard all the chants and boos, he didn't know what to do with himself.

I'm an American, but I didn't know most of the Americans on the show, including Michelle.  However, I would love for her and Cheggers to be the top two.

I'm also an American and the only one I've heard of is Alexander O'Neal.  And Perez.  

I can't freaking stand this Cami Li.  Who told her that she is the "baddest bitch" around?  For someone who proclaims herself to be so smart, she has a very limited vocabulary that is littered with profanity.  And this idiot talking about how she worked hard to get somewhere in life...didn't she say that people would know her because she was engaged to a UK reality star?  So she's basically known for dating someone and barely known at that.

Alicia seems sweet, but her face is so painful to look at.  Any Dr. that makes a woman look like that should be brought up on charges.

Chloe.  How much surgery has that girl had already?  She looks much older than her 21 years.  And for her to be so upset over a drunk guy apparently doing very little not knowing she was naked under a robe just was ridiculous.  Not that any woman deserves to be harrassed, but she sure loves showing off her body.  I mean sitting in a hot tub showing elderly men how her boobs dance?

I find the house dynamics this season so interesting. Perez is the polarizing force by which the rest of the housemates have chosen a side. 

Pro-Perez: Nadia, Alicia, Patsy.

Anti-Perez: Cami, Michelle, Katie Hopkins, Kavana, Calum.

Fence-sitters: Katie Price, Keith

Katie Price and Keith are good with both sides, except Keith has been called out for sitting on the fence and Katie Price isn't. Perhaps this is because he HAS a side (anti-Perez), but wants to appear neutral as a strategy of gameplay?

Things everyone thought would happen but didn't:

Katie Price will fight with Katie Hopkins.

Everyone will hate Katie Hopkins.

Did anyone else watch Katie Hopkins' special where she intentionally gained weight and then lost it? Part 1 aired here in the U.S. on Sunday, on TLC, called "Fat and Back." I don't think most of the US has any idea who she is. She seems to be a very fit lady in her normal life (a runner) and then when she gained 50 lbs, all the weight oddly went to her face/neck and stomach.

• Love 1

I find the house dynamics this season so interesting. Perez is the polarizing force by which the rest of the housemates have chosen a side. 

Pro-Perez: Nadia, Alicia, Patsy.

Anti-Perez: Cami, Michelle, Katie Hopkins, Kavana, Calum.

Fence-sitters: Katie Price, Keith

Katie Price and Keith are good with both sides, except Keith has been called out for sitting on the fence and Katie Price isn't. Perhaps this is because he HAS a side (anti-Perez), but wants to appear neutral as a strategy of gameplay?

Things everyone thought would happen but didn't:

Katie Price will fight with Katie Hopkins.

Everyone will hate Katie Hopkins.

Did anyone else watch Katie Hopkins' special where she intentionally gained weight and then lost it? Part 1 aired here in the U.S. on Sunday, on TLC, called "Fat and Back." I don't think most of the US has any idea who she is. She seems to be a very fit lady in her normal life (a runner) and then when she gained 50 lbs, all the weight oddly went to her face/neck and stomach.

I love the friendship between Michelle and Katie Hopkins.  I didn't think I'd like Katie Hopkins the first episode, but I love her. She no nonsense, but I think she has a heart.

I love Calum.

I find Nadia kind of irritating.  I feel like she is being nice to Perez so that he will be nice to her on his blog and give her more world wide fame?  She calls everyone else out on their behavior, but not him.  

Cami.  I wish she'd stop doing her street talk stuff and watch her language because she can be pretty funny.

I've never watched the UK BB but I am enjoying it.  Keith is such a sweetie.  The episode when he is supposed to make them all laugh and doesn't know their secret mission is not to laugh at his jokes.  

Fucking Perez ruins everything.

You're not supposed to fuck him!

His constant drama-queen antics are just a bit over the top, but my biggest objection to him is the way he's let himself go in the house.  Sorry, Perez, but Cro-Magnon is not the best look for you!

You're not supposed to fuck him!

His constant drama-queen antics are just a bit over the top, but my biggest objection to him is the way he's let himself go in the house.  Sorry, Perez, but Cro-Magnon is not the best look for you!

qO0ACf5.jpg

Then again... some of his past looks are even more repulsive.  So "let himself go" may not be strictly accurate in comparison...

Fat Perez:

b4oTdrZ.jpg

Skinny, but just as gross Perez:

rHTuxes.png

Just plain looking like a moron Perez:

EaTNcrE.jpg

How Perez looks right now (shaved face, clothes on body) is the most acceptable (i.e. I am less likely to seek out eye bleach) he's looked this series.

The idea that Katie Hopkins is not two-faced due to the fact that she says the same things to others as she does to a person's face went completely over Katie Price's head. Katie Hopkins criticism of both Katie Price and Keith Chegwin was accurate! Katie Price and Keith are both majorly holding back because they don't want to look bad in front of the British public. This show is about celebrities interacting with other celebrities and experiencing all emotions- anger, sadness, joy, friendship, combativeness, resentment. We want to hear opinions!

Nadia is an idiot for accepting Perez's framing of what he overheard, especially regarding Calum. From what I saw in that clip, Calum decided to cook for everyone that night and for his dish, he announced he wanted to cook something light, such as chicken and vegetables, as a change of pace (my interpretation). He did not say anything to the effect of "Nadia is a control freak in the kitchen and her heavy food tastes like shit" as Perez made it sound.

• Love 2

What amazed me is that anyone, knowing what Perez is, trusted the accuracy of what he was saying.  Unless Katie, Keith and Nadia are "believing Perez" as an exercise in ramping the drama up and... probably don't REALLY believe him.

With Perez it's a constant act of positioning and manipulating--so even his "friends" should be aware it's all gamesmanship.

Actually, he's not that bad looking when he cleans up.  It's his mouth that's the turn-off, or rather, the things that come out of it!

It's funny, I was just thinking what an unfortunate looking man he is. While I give him props for losing all the weight and working to get/stay in shape, I think his facial features resemble a caveman's. 

Nadia is an idiot for accepting Perez's framing of what he overheard, especially regarding Calum.
Unless Katie, Keith and Nadia are "believing Perez" as an exercise in ramping the drama up and... probably don't REALLY believe him.

In case you didn't see BOTS, Nadia doubled down on her sticking up for Perez no matter what he says or does. She sounded a little irrational when commenting on clips they were showing her. I guess instead of having to admit she was protecting an asshole, she just decided to insist that everything Perez did wrong was Katie H's fault. It was a little bizarre and I don't think she did herself any favors in terms of how viewers perceive her.

What's you guess for final 3?.

I

How Perez looks right now (shaved face, clothes on body) is the most acceptable (i.e. I am less likely to seek out eye bleach) he's looked this series.

The idea that Katie Hopkins is not two-faced due to the fact that she says the same things to others as she does to a person's face went completely over Katie Price's head. Katie Hopkins criticism of both Katie Price and Keith Chegwin was accurate! Katie Price and Keith are both majorly holding back because they don't want to look bad in front of the British public. This show is about celebrities interacting with other celebrities and experiencing all emotions- anger, sadness, joy, friendship, combativeness, resentment. We want to hear opinions!

Nadia is an idiot for accepting Perez's framing of what he overheard, especially regarding Calum. From what I saw in that clip, Calum decided to cook for everyone that night and for his dish, he announced he wanted to cook something light, such as chicken and vegetables, as a change of pace (my interpretation). He did not say anything to the effect of "Nadia is a control freak in the kitchen and her heavy food tastes like shit" as Perez made it sound.

Exactly!  Katie Hopkins is straight up, in your face about how she feels about you.  I admire her for that.  But I don't think Pricey will ever get over Hopkins telling her that she shouldn't be siphoning off the government.

The only one that seemed to effectively communicate what bugs me about Nadia is Cami.  She yells at everyone else in the house for their actions, but never reprimands Perez.  It's bizarre.  I can't help but wonder if she thinks he's a much bigger deal worldwide with his awful website and that's why she sucks up to him?

And please, Katie Price.  Sorry honey, I don't believe you only came onto BB to make new friends.  You're there for pay and to firm up your career just like everyone else.

Yeah. Look, she's harmless enough, seems like basically a nice lady, but frankly even Chloe Goodman who was booted out first brought more to the house. Made the end of the series a bit of an embarrassment. I would have been fine with a win for Michelle, Calum, and even Keith. The other two? Nope. Katie Price was perfectly pleasant, but did absolutely nothing but talk about boys and hold her leaky left tit. Katie Hopkins was often very amusing, but was also a shit-stirrer, and I didn't want an endorsement of her repellent views. But as harsh and ungracious as Hopkins's attacks on Pricey after the win were, they were also pretty accurate. I'm also getting frustrated with the number of people bemoaning how terribly Hilton was treated once he left the house. Considering how completely hateful he was in that house, that he cops a truckload of shit for it now, seems fair to me. It's the reason why it's a bad idea to treat people badly - you can't complain when the consequences of your behaviour come back to bite you. 

Edited by Shock Corridor
  • Love 1

I thought it worked out well. Biggest celebrity wins celebrity popularity contest. Makes sense. And I thought it was emotionally satisfying, too, to see a relatively level-headed person rise above the childish bullshit and come out on top. It really was an awesomely twisted fairy tale, with witches and trolls and a happy ending with a moral message. Overall, I thought it was by far the best series of BBUK ever.

Edited by Liqidclark

I thought it worked out well. Biggest celebrity wins celebrity popularity contest. Makes sense. And I thought it was emotionally satisfying, too, to see a relatively level-headed person rise above the childish bullshit and come out on top. It really was an awesomely twisted fairy tale, with witches and trolls and a happy ending with a moral message. Overall, I thought it was by far the best series of BBUK ever.

I'm disappointed that Price won over Hopkins.  Hopkins was the far more interesting.  I came away from the show with admiration for Hopkins.  I may not agree with all of her views, but she's smart, she's funny, and she is who she is.  I enjoyed watching the friendship between Hopkins and Michelle.  They seemed to genuinely enjoy each other even though they were on different political spectrums.  In fact it seemed like most of the guests got on pretty well with Hopkins.

Price also lost me when she claimed she just wanted to come on BB to make friends.  But she's crossing her fingers when it came time for evictions.  She clearly wanted to win.

All in all, I'm really going to miss it!  I enjoyed all of the characters for the most part.  It's actually the first BB UK that I've ever watched.  So tell me what the other best season was for me to watch on You Tube, please!