Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Whack-a-Mole

Totally lackluster episode. I am just watching these last episodes out of loyalty and nostalgia for the fantastic early seasons, but it has become burdensome.

I'll be glad when this series ends, and puts it (and me!) out of misery.

• Love 4

Oh no, Peter's top priority has to be his son, the Interpol agent was killed, and Neal is bringing in Peter for the job.  Crap, Neal's plan is going to involve Peter faking his death also, so that Peter, Elizabeth, Neal, and Mozzie can all live with a bunch of money and not worry about the Panthers.

Pull up White Collar, pull up.  You don't want to pull a How I Met Your Mother.

• Love 3

If Peter takes even a dollar of the billions, I'd be extremely disappointed in him.  What a legacy for his child -- to be brought up on money stolen from the U. S. government.   No matter how disillusioned Peter is with the FBI, he'd be abandoning all those principles of responsibility, right and wrong, and family he has tried to reinforce in Neal (values Neal already has in that good heart but doesn't always act on).   And what would Peter taking a cut of the money say to Neal, whose future is still hanging in the balance?  

The only way there's a victory here is if Neal turns down all that money, too.   I want Neal (whether as "Neal" or as some newly invented person) to walk away from all this clean.  If he takes even a dollar of the money then he isn't.  He's still who he was to start with, a desperate con on the run, not able to settle anywhere, not able to trust anyone, just like his real father -- bad blood after all.  

It's been so disheartening for me during this sixth season to watch Peter and Neal do the same things they've always done -- banter in that friendly, almost affectionate way they have, then turn away with looks on their faces that tell you they don't trust each other for a minute.   I so hoped to see them get beyond that.  I so hoped there would be sparkling, brilliant writing for these last episodes -- something transforming, illuminating, thrilling, touching -- but I don't see how they can pull that off now.  

Ah, well, it was a breezy, pretty little series with some memorable moments (though damned few lately), lovable characters, a great city on display -- but they never seemed to get anywhere.   They just kept running in circles.   Maybe that's true to life -- we repeat the same patterns over and over, nobody changes, once a con always a con -- but I hoped for more, longed for it.   Isn't that why we tune in to a show like this, hoping for it to show us the way, to give us hope?

For me, a lot still depends on how Neal comes out of this.  I'm so hoping that by now he has sense enough, heart enough, peace enough  -- to walk away free and clear.  And perhaps that would be tribute enough to his friendship with Peter.    Later, if he finds he just can't resist the shiny stuff and has to steal -- okay, some fans seem to want that -- but the show will be over and I won't have to know about it and I won't have to watch that.  

For a single day, I want him free, clear -- clean, on his own, breathing fresh air, not having to look back over his shoulder.  And I want Peter to know that's how it is for him -- that Neal has that.   Then Peter will be able to let him go and walk away (he'll be free and clear, too) to devote his life to Elizabeth and their son.     

Edited by nico
  • Love 2

Totally lackluster episode. I am just watching these last episodes out of loyalty and nostalgia for the fantastic early seasons, but it has become burdensome.

I'll be glad when this series ends, and puts it (and me!) out of misery.

Same here.  I kept finding myself zoning out last night and having to rewind to see what I'd missed.   Like 6 times. 

I fear they're setting up a "Peter-Can't-Be-a-Good-Father-and-a-Good-Agent-Both" scenario, which is triply insulting to Diana, who is doing fine at parenting and being an agent all by her awesome self.  And they're making Elizabeth look like a witch for doing nothing (literally nothing) but harping on how she just knows Peter won't be there for her and their baby.  She knew what he did, she's stayed married to him through all these years they keep mentioning having wanted kids and now, just now, it's occurring to her that there may be times when she has to go it on her own while her hubby saves the world?  And that is completely, totally unacceptable?  It sounds like him quitting any occupation and being a full-time stay-at-home father right alongside her is the only thing that will mollify her.  That is completely unrealistic, and I feel like it's out of character for her.

So they're setting it up that Peter has to leave the FBI, and that's ticking me off so badly.  I'm scared to find out how they send Neal off.  At least they're not telegraphing that (I don't think) as of yet...

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

Loved  that scene where Sergio and the other guys want to kill Neal right there and he gets to win them over in a couple of minutes. That's Neal at his best!

It's obvious that Neal doesn't want the PP even know about Mozzie's existence. Which is fine if he just wants to protect him, but if he's planning to leave Moz behind I'm going to rage forever.

Keller is the worst, ugh.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 1

I really have disliked how the lighter shows like this on USA were taken in a dark direction - same as Covert Affairs, which I never liked as much as early White Collars, but that show became unbearable for me to watch with all the torture, etc.  

I so hope they end this show with all the main characters alive.  I don't need them working together - but, I really don't want anyone of our main core to die - 

What is it about Keller? I mean, yeah,he's written as an asshole, but there's something beyond that--I hope these are (questionable) acting choices, but the way he talks is, I don't know, annoying and affected? And there's even something something off-putting about the way he moves and even his appearance. Watching him on my screen squicks me out, and it's not just dislike for the things the character has done. Something's just...off.

I really have disliked how the lighter shows like this on USA were taken in a dark direction - same as Covert Affairs, which I never liked as much as early White Collars, but that show became unbearable for me to watch with all the torture, etc.

I so hope they end this show with all the main characters alive. I don't need them working together - but, I really don't want anyone of our main core to die -

I agree about everything getting 'darker' on USA. I could rant for an hour about the finale of Burn Notice. It's not what attracted me to these shows originally.

There seems to be a larger trend--like every movie from more than 10 years ago needs a 'gritty reboot'. Darkness for its own sake rather than serving the story or the characters.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 2

Watching him on my screen squicks me out, and it's not just dislike for the things the character has done. Something's just...off.

The actor is always like that in everything I've seen him in. 

It's pretty clear that Neal thinks the PP are way way way too dangerous for Mozzie. Which they are. Once Keller didn't give up Neal, the obvious choice is bringing in Peter. H

I don't know why Neal didn't just level with him. I'd be really surprised if Neal left Mozzie behind, unless he leaves him a life fortune and walks away from everything. 

• Love 1

Neal has to get away from Mozzie -- he needs to build a life for himself and he doesn't need Mozzie always harping on their next big score and how Neal will always be a con.   Mozzie is the devil on his shoulder, a negative voice.   Maybe later they can be in touch again, but only after Neal has a chance to get out on his own.   They need to go back to the scene on the sidewalk in "Out of the Box" and say goodbye -- at least for awhile.  Mozzie has to give up on Neal being his partner in crime and I'm not sure he can do that.  I know he loves Neal but he doesn't love him enough to let him go.   Every time Neal comes close to getting free, there is Mozzie, letting him know he can't go straight, can't live "happily every after".  

I really do believe (and there have been hints of this since he said it in S5) that when Neal declared he was going to "cut ties" he wasn't just talking about Peter and the FBI.   He meant Mozzie, too.   Neal is an addict who needs to go cold turkey -- he needs to change his life -- and Mozzie reminding him he'll never be anything but a con is the drug talking, luring him backwards.   Working for the FBI has been that, too, in a way, by allowing him to be involved with crime, continuing to use his talent and addiction for criminal behavior.   He needs to break the cycle.  He needs to be on his own.  Maybe later after he has had a chance to become whatever he's going to become he can get in touch with Mozzie again.  Peter, too.   Maybe by then he'll be strong enough so that he doesn't hear the devil's voice (or the voice of the "angel", Peter).  His own voice will be the one he hears and he'll be able to be his own man, not Peter's C.I. (the dot on his computer screen) and not Mozzie's number one asset in crime (the tool in his belt).  

Neal's life needs to be about Neal.  When Peter told him at the end of S5 that he was about to be free, I was surprised that Neal seemed a little lost talking about it with Mozzie -- he really had no idea what he wanted to do.  And there was Mozzie the devil pulling him backwards, discouraging him from thinking about changing his life.  I wanted to kick him.   He's like the drug dealer afraid to lose his best customer.  Neal talked about going to Paris but Mozzie made him consider Paris without money, as if that would be beneath them somehow. But it sounded romantic to me -- sort of like some of Neal's memories of the time when he and Kate were young and in love and had nothing but each other and their dreams.  Those were sweet times for him.   He needs time to consider all that.    

The son has to grow up and find his own path.  The fathers have to love him enough to let him go.  

Edited by nico
  • Love 1

To be fair, they didn't really. Keller had to plant the tracker on the other guy because the boss wanted credible evidence. He was already paranoid because of the bug, and Keller used that against him. It's a bit "plot", but it's what I call a fair cheat. 

Keller was shown to be a decent con. He's not as slick and finesse as Neal but he can run a con. 

I suppose Neal has to let Mozzie go. In the awesomest of tie ins, I'd love for the both of them to fake their deaths and then the final scene would be them meeting Nate Ford. 

• Love 1

This has been so painful. I hope the end is that they get the panthers, the money stays with the government, and Neal, Mozzie, Peter, and Sarah open up a consulting company. Or no Peter, that would be fine with me.

This has been so painful. I hope the end is that they get the panthers, the money stays with the government, and Neal, Mozzie, Peter, and Sarah open up a consulting company. Or no Peter, that would be fine with me.

We're already tuning in for this abysmal ending. Isn't that enough to put us viewers through? What on earth have we done to deserve Sarah??? I don't think a serial killer has done anything bad enough to deserve that cruel punishment.

• Love 1

We're already tuning in for this abysmal ending. Isn't that enough to put us viewers through? What on earth have we done to deserve Sarah??? I don't think a serial killer has done anything bad enough to deserve that cruel punishment.

Ah, I liked her with Neal. Or maybe I just have rose colored glasses since this season has been so awful.

• Love 1

Do they plan on ruining everyone before the end? For the entire series Peter and El had a healthy relationship with minimal fighting. Now El is yelling at Peter about missing a sonogram after a law enforcement officer Peter was working with died and complaining about being a married, single mother to an actual single mother. 

They said this final season was for the fans, but it seems to be for them. The only person they brought back was Keller (whom I never really liked) and no one else. In an interview I read, we won't be seeing Sara or Alex. So we are stuck with just Keller and a bunch of undeveloped characters we never heard of. Also characters that are not every bright despite being called the best in the biz. Neal's been working with the FBI for years now, are you telling me no one in the Panthers can figure that out? 

Instead of bringing Mozzie in he brings an about to be a father Peter to a gang that kills untrustworthy people without the slightest hesitation. Mozzie at least has run multiple cons and acts nothing like a Fed. I guess Neal really is planning on running without Mozzie and involving Peter in a situation that could get him killed. I am worried about how this will end, not looking forward to it like I should be. 

• Love 2

Neal's been working with the FBI for years now, are you telling me no one in the Panthers can figure that out?

That to me is the single most annoying thing about this whole storyline. I don't care how wonderful Neal is, the Pink Panthers would never let him in because of his association with the FBI. Even if he could somehow prove that he hadn't been working with them for years or he was conning them all along, the risk would be too great. Of course, that logic would've stopped most of the cases over the last few years from happening. 

I am worried that the finale will not be satisfying. I feel we will get a flash-forward of the happy parents and Neal laying on a beach somewhere, living off the previously unmentioned money that he secretly took and no one knows about so he is in the clear. Which isn't terrible, but I worry it'll be rushed at the expense of the PP storyline.

• Love 2

I'm honestly hoping that somehow, someway, we find out Neal has been running a long con since the day he walked into June's loft. I do NOT want him to be rehabilitated. He has always seemed miserable and like he's doing things for other people. It's just...bleah.

• Love 3

Neal's been working with the FBI for years now, are you telling me no one in the Panthers can figure that out?

That's the one big detail that drives me nuts. I mean, come on... how do they not know anything about Neal having been in prison and now working with the FBI? How?? And how did they in the writers room talk their way around that detail because I'd really like to know.

The Peter/El arguments frustrate me. I feel like they're sacrificing both characters and the beautiful relationship they had, all for this cliched "we've always wanted kids" (really?) plotline. Why did the showrunners have to create this idea at the eleventh hour? It's just not workable, crammed in the way it is, and as a result it's messing up what was already established. Like BrokenRemote says:

I fear they're setting up a "Peter-Can't-Be-a-Good-Father-and-a-Good-Agent-Both" scenario, which is triply insulting to Diana, who is doing fine at parenting and being an agent all by her awesome self.  And they're making Elizabeth look like a witch for doing nothing (literally nothing) but harping on how she just knows Peter won't be there for her and their baby.  She knew what he did, she's stayed married to him through all these years they keep mentioning having wanted kids and now, just now, it's occurring to her that there may be times when she has to go it on her own while her hubby saves the world?  And that is completely, totally unacceptable?

Plus, I hate the hypocrisy of it. El has always been a career-driven woman. She was shown to work very hard, be kind of a ball-buster with vendors who didn't do what she wanted, and she was busy just like Peter was. Now suddenly she's treating Peter like he's never home and she can't trust him because of his dedication to his work and that's unacceptable, when her life was just as crazy busy and driven as his?

I don't know how this show is going to end tomorrow night, but I have great worries about it.

• Love 1