Type keyword(s) to search

S00.E00: We Heart Diem

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Well, that wasn't as bad as I would've guessed. Granted, a lot of stuff was whitewashed, but I feel we had some good material for a half-hour. Why did MTV run it at 9 p.m. instead of 10? Because people are on "Molly," damn it, and True Life needs to tell us about it.

Seriously, I didn't hate seeing Johnny again. Or Evan. Or Paula. Or TJ when he said he doesn't like quitters. We know, Teege, we know. It's a shame CT wasn't in there for a talking head segment, but that was probably too much to ask.

I will say that I didn't like seeing Diem in BOTE2, mostly because it was probably the last time she ever danced. Or did something risky for the Challenge. I know that we saw her end coming, but it still doesn't feel real. I'm happy we didn't see her collapse . . . though I'm sure MTV and/or BMP will want to air it.

Somone asked Cara Maria about that on Twitter and she said she is still here the light will never go out which I thought was sweet. I caught the first ten minutes and I thought it was super weird to have Paula, Cara Maria and Johnny commenting on things they weren't present for. I thought it was nice tribute. By the way does anyone know what has happened to Derrick?

Somone asked Cara Maria about that on Twitter and she said she is still here the light will never go out which I thought was sweet. I caught the first ten minutes and I thought it was super weird to have Paula, Cara Maria and Johnny commenting on things they weren't present for. I thought it was nice tribute. By the way does anyone know what has happened to Derrick?

I haven't seen a thing from or about him in a while.  I used to talk to him on Twitter here and there (we're both big Chicago sports fans), but he hasn't been on there in quite a while.  

I haven't seen a thing from or about him in a while.  I used to talk to him on Twitter here and there (we're both big Chicago sports fans), but he hasn't been on there in quite a while.

Yeah I was never a huge fan of his, but when Diem first got sick again in August I went to go find him on Twitter and it wasn't there. I have no idea if they stayed in touch, but I remember during Fresh Meat he seemed to really like her and he had some drama with Darrell regarding Diem.

I used to listen to Derrick's challenge podcast.  It started out fairly interesting and informative and turned into a weekly dose of him and some combination of Kenny/Evan/Johnny/Mark Long talking about how superior they were to every other cast member ever.  I don't know when or if he stopped doing them.  I remember he named his kid Awesome. (Well, Derrick Awesome I believe, but still.  Awesome.)

• Love 1

I don't know? All I know is that these people were in NY to film this a few days before Diem's passing. Maybe they were told she wasn't going to make it or maybe they just wanted to do something special for her because of her battle......

It was filmed before she died? What was their intention?

It's pretty common, actually, for networks to prepare packages like this in the event of a celebrity death, even if they aren't imminently going to die. In Diem's case, they knew it was coming, so they were able to treat it a little differently.  I'd bet much of what was in Robin Williams' post mortem video coverage had been edited together long before his demise, and was periodically updated so that when he did pass away, all they had to do was add some recent stuff.

• Love 1

It's pretty common, actually, for networks to prepare packages like this in the event of a celebrity death, even if they aren't imminently going to die. In Diem's case, they knew it was coming, so they were able to treat it a little differently.  I'd bet much of what was in Robin Williams' post mortem video coverage had been edited together long before his demise, and was periodically updated so that when he did pass away, all they had to do was add some recent stuff.

I know that newspapers prepare obits for a lot of public figures, esp. for those who are older, but I don't know about video packages. They seem really expensive and time-consuming to make. And it seems almost unconscionable for MTV to prepare a post-mortem video on Diem when she was still so young and had beat cancer a number of times. If you saw the show, you know it wasn't a video package, but interviews with many of her co-stars sharing memories of her. I can't understand MTV's logic in asking them to partake in this when they had no way of knowing the outcome, not to mention how heartless that would be. I'm curious to know how and why it was put together.

I know that newspapers prepare obits for a lot of public figures, esp. for those who are older, but I don't know about video packages. They seem really expensive and time-consuming to make. And it seems almost unconscionable for MTV to prepare a post-mortem video on Diem when she was still so young and had beat cancer a number of times. If you saw the show, you know it wasn't a video package, but interviews with many of her co-stars sharing memories of her. I can't understand MTV's logic in asking them to partake in this when they had no way of knowing the outcome, not to mention how heartless that would be. I'm curious to know how and why it was put together.

Actually, I can see it happening, precisely because of what you said - that video packages are very time-consuming to make, especially with interview subjects scattered around the country. They had a few weeks in between her death and the airing of the special in which it could have been produced, but I wouldn't be surprised if they started gathering interviews beforehand. For example, Stuart Scott, a longtime anchor on ESPN, died last week after several battles with cancer himself, and on the day he died ESPN already had several special pieces with interviews with his colleagues and friends ready to air. Even if she hadn't yet died, it seems like everyone was expecting this outcome, so I don't think there was much thought about if they would use all of this, but when.

. Even if she hadn't yet died, it seems like everyone was expecting this outcome, so I don't think there was much thought about if they would use all of this, but when.

I don't agree with this at all. How can you say everyone was expecting this outcome when she had been as sick with earlier bouts, but had survived? And gathering her friends together to lay tribute to her after she died is a much different request than asking them the same thing when she's alive.

Because different periods of illness can look very different from one another, and going through multiple battles with cancer, complete with rounds of chemo and radiation, takes a toll on your body. Lots of people are able to survive cancer once, but it's not as common to beat it three times. Even Diem's doctors had said there was nothing more they could do. Sometimes you really do just know when someone is going to die soon. I'm not saying the MTV producers necessarily did in this case, but it's certainly not unfathomable that they assumed correctly that she wouldn't survive this.

A thought just occurred to me, does anyone know if Diem got to see this before she died?  Or at least the "rough cut" version of it?

I ask because an uncle-in-law of mine died a few years back from cancer and everyone pretty much knew the end was probably coming. Of course everyone hoped he could survive, but it wasn't looking good at all. The family did a big get-together for him that was pretty similar to a memorial service, except he was there, and alive. They were thinking that way he could at least enjoy his own party. During that they also recorded videos with everyone sharing memories and such, and one of the family members who was good with video put together in essence a "memorial video." It seemed a little morbid to me at the time, but they gave it to him with the thought that he could enjoy it while he was alive, and if he happened to survive it'd still be an awesome thing for him to have. He made it a few more weeks, but apparently he watched that video dozens of times before he died. It brought him a lot of comfort.

I was wondering if Diem got to see her movie while she was still alive. That could be another reason for recording it before she died.

• Love 1

I'm sure part of MTV's decision to film this before she died was that she found out she was sick during filming.  If Diem had lived, they probably would have still aired it as a tribute after tonight's episode.  I feel like the tone of this special is what Diem would have wanted.  I can't imagine everyone being able to smile and laugh like this if they were trying to film it a week or two after she died.

Why no CT do you think? He just couldn't do it? It seemed an odd mix of people to speak for her. Admittedly I don't follow any of these folks outside the Challenge so maybe these are all her besties and I am just unaware. 

Why no CT do you think? He just couldn't do it? It seemed an odd mix of people to speak for her. Admittedly I don't follow any of these folks outside the Challenge so maybe these are all her besties and I am just unaware.

I think they filmed it a couple of days before she died. I imagine it was too hard for him. I agree it was a weird mix of people. I know Cara Maria said during Rivals 2 in an interview that she was all alone for Thanksgiving in LA and wrote a Facebook statues about it. Diem barley knew her and invited her to hang out with her and her friends I only remember it because it changed my opinion of Diem during that Challenge.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

I figured he was probably with her in the hospital. Regardless of how their relationship went (or didn't), I feel like he truly loved her. I'm glad she had that during her life.

• Love 1

Diem said multiple times that wes was like a brother to her, apparently bananas was there when diem went on her second fight with cancer, so they got close, paula and her bond during exes and became good friends outside the show, cara was already explained, evan and her were good friends since they met on fresh meat, I think they choose the right people, all of them were close to diem. I would have put camila there too because they were good friends.

Im sure ct got the call to do it, but like the poster above said, this was done the week she died, so for ct was really hard.

Edited by fredj

Diem said multiple times that wes was like a brother to her, apparently bananas was there when diem went on her second fight with cancer, so they got close, paula and her bond during exes and became good friends outside the show, cara was already explained, evan and her were good friends since they met on fresh meat, I think they choose the right people, all of them were close to diem. I would have put camila there too because they were good friends.

Im sure ct got the call to do it, but like the poster above said, this was done the week she died, so for ct was really hard.

I've been watching these shows for a while (10 plus years) and somewhat follow these people on social media and I do read interviews with cast members. I had no idea Paula and Wes were that close to Diem. I assumed Paula was there because she lives in the NYC area and seems to be on a lot these specials that they do.   I had no idea why Wes was there. It does make sense if they had brother/sister relationship like you said.

They said it was an encore of the show -- I've searched on mtv.com and my crappy On Demand as well as the channel but can't see if it will air again.  Anyone know if I can watch it somewhere?  I didn't tape it, just the challenge episode.