Type keyword(s) to search

Stiles Stilinski: [No First Name]

I wonder wheter S4 addresses what he went through with teh Nogitsune possesion. They have a really bad track record in this regard. And from the spoilers (that for most part make me want to never watch the show again) they so very much won't.

I would really like to see him heal and bond with his dad and maybe discover more about his spark and his sexuality. That would be pretty interesting to watch.

I really hope they don't ignore the impact the Nogitsune would've had on Stiles.  I'd expect Stiles to still be flippant and joking (he is the kid who accused Isaac of "milking" his abusive childhood, after all), but I don't think he's someone who'd be able to brush off what happened.  If he does, I'd be hugely disappointed in the writers.  There are people who are dead who wouldn't be, if not for Nogitsune.  And yes, Stiles was more-or-less willing to leave Derek to die on the road in Season One, but I think he's grown up a bit since then.  And the death of someone he and Scott actually cared about would hit him hard.  Stiles isn't responsible for what it did while it possessed him, but he'd have to struggle with the idea that he was - especially since he opened that door in his mind to begin with, in order to save his father.  I can see Stiles possibly re-directing his anger and pain and guilt, but I can't see him just getting over it.

My dream scenario would have Stiles discussing what happened with different people (over several episodes), with each giving him some perspective on how to cope with what he's carrying - starting with Deaton, then Lydia, and Melissa, and the Sheriff and finally Scott giving him a kind of absolution for what happened to Allison.  Because of course it isn't Stiles' fault, but you know he'll need to hear that from Scott.  I don't know that I'll get all of that, but Jeff Davis has repeatedly said that the real love story of Teen Wolf is Scott and Stiles' friendship, so I think (hope?) we'll at least get that last part.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 1
(edited)

One thing I doubt they will touch on, but I can't stop thinking about it is the security footage of the hospital massacre. If they check the cameras after the bloodbath, they'd see Stiles wandering around in the company of these masked ninjas who were slaughtering everyone in sight. Like I said, I think they'll probably brush that under the rug, but it might have been a great storyline for the Sheriff to have to cover up all the nefarious things that Stiles did when he was possessed.   

Another thing that surely will come up is the Stiles/Malia basement sex. I'll be interested to see how Stiles will reflect on this now that he's in his right mind again. I know a lot of fans have issues with the Stiles/Malia scene because OMG no condoms and OMG teenagers with mental health issues can't properly consent, etc. Personally I think I'll be okay with what happened so long as it's acknowledged in hindsight as being a very messed up time to have sex (assuming they did have sex, it seems that's debated). It's an understandable bad decision, since Stiles was in the mindset of "Okay so I'm about to be repossessed by an evil fox spirit who has threatened to destroy everyone I care about so WHY THE HELL NOT lose my virginity to a werewolf in the cellar of a creepy insane asylum". Aside from anything else, Stiles needed to stay awake and it's one form of stimulation *shrugs*.  

So basically I don't mind that it happened, but I'm wary of how they will deal with Stiles/Malia going forward. I'm certainly hoping there won't be a pregnancy scare storyline though I'm wondering if this thing is constructed to cause friction between Stiles and the Hales. It seems like the show has been trying to set Stiles up with a werewolf girlfriend for a while now - first Erica, then Cora and finally Malia. I presume they've had to wait this long because the first two actresses lined up bailed. But what I'm wondering is why have the writers been so keen on pairing Stiles up with a werewolf girl? Why does Stiles have no luck with human girls but all the Shewolves want him? I'm hoping there's a reason. Aside from that, I'd also like to see the Stiles bisexuality hints pay off (though not with Derek) and I'd like the Stiles/Lydia bond to continue. I'm mostly in it for the Scott/Stiles bromance tbh.              

Edited by Yitzhak
  • Love 1
It seems like the show has been trying to set Stiles up with a werewolf girlfriend for a while now - first Erica, then Cora and finally Malia.

I never got the impression they specifically wanted to pair Stiles up with a were-girlfriend.  I didn't think either Erica or Cora were bound for that role.  I'm hoping Malia isn't, either - partly because I found the maybe-sex a bit squickish under the circumstances it occurred, and partly because I just don't see any chemistry between them so far. But I wouldn't be surprised if they end up as a couple, because that's the most cliché route for the show to go at this point and I'm afraid that's what they'll do.

I'd be happy to see Stiles with Derek, but I doubt 100% that it will ever happen.  The show just isn't going to go there, no matter how much they bait the fans.   I'd also be okay with Stiles and Lydia as a couple, although i LOVE them better as friends.  That was a friendship that was hard-earned over time, and I like it for what it is.   I think it's possible that they'll eventually write Stiles and Lydia as a couple, if they don't go the more obvious route of Stiles/Malia.

(I've got this Principal Skinner voice in my head right now going, "Prove me wrong, show.  Prove Me Wrong."  It won't, though.)

One thing I doubt they will touch on, but I can't stop thinking about it is the security footage of the hospital massacre. If they check the cameras after the bloodbath, they'd see Stiles wandering around in the company of these masked ninjas who were slaughtering everyone in sight. Like I said, I think they'll probably brush that under the rug, but it might have been a great storyline for the Sheriff to have to cover up all the nefarious things that Stiles did when he was possessed.

I would love some real follow-up in the sense of addressing the things Stiles did.  Unfortunately, beyond some emotional soul-searching and the gang dealing with the loss of Allison (which I DO think they'll do, and do well), I put the idea of seriously addressing the crimes Nogitsune-Stiles committed at the same odds as the Sterek possibility.  

I would also like some follow-up to Stiles' brain condition.  I'm guessing they'll leave it off with a, "the Nogitsune did it," and we just assume Stiles is perfectly healthy.  Not that I want Stiles to be sick, of course.  But that was a very emotional thing in 3B, and I would like at least a token nod in its direction in S4.

(edited)

I would also like some follow-up to Stiles' brain condition.  I'm guessing they'll leave it off with a, "the Nogitsune did it," and we just assume Stiles is perfectly healthy.  Not that I want Stiles to be sick, of course.

I agree that the brain scans were a Nogitsune trick but that's another loose end. According to Stiles's medical records he is suffering from a fatal brain condition. Aren't the doctors going to be suspicious of his symptoms disappearing? But then again, I guess it's like all the magically healing werewolves. It won't be mentioned. 

I think I heard that Davies said there will be showing the "psychological" effect of Stiles's possession. I don't know if that just means dealing with the trauma or something more. Like, if Stiles's has new psychic abilities now. I did wonder if Stiles in Derek's dream was a hint that Stiles is now somehow telepathic or able to mind-meld with other pack members. I rather hope it's the former option though. I'd prefer Stiles to go back to having human problems. 

I never got the impression they specifically wanted to pair Stiles up with a were-girlfriend.  I didn't think either Erica or Cora were bound for that role.

They had Erica telling Stiles she had a crush on him and with Cora there was the kiss of life scene. I took both as hints that they were planning a romantic angle but never got to pay it off because the actresses left. To me it just seems like there's been this looming intention of pairing Stiles with a werewolf and one that's connected to the Hale family.

Edited by Yitzhak
They had Erica telling Stiles she had a crush on him

I saw that more as a way of giving Erica a bit of backstory.  But I guess we'll never know.  

Like, if Stiles's has new psychic abilities now. I did wonder if Stiles in Derek's dream was a hint that Stiles is now somehow telepathic or able to mind-meld with other pack members. I rather hope it's the former option though. I'd prefer Stiles to go back to having human problems.

I very much hope that Stiles has no special abilities and has to deal only with the problems of being a human.  Practically every other kid in this show ends up having "special" abilities.  We've got to have at least one ordinary human kid on the canvas (preferably more), and they've never given Danny quite enough screen time for him to really be that role in any lead way.  I'm annoyed enough that Stiles apparently has "the spark".  I think it lends a lot to the show that one (or more) of the main characters is human - and the fact that Stiles' "gift" is simply that he's a smart and loyal guy who's willing to do absolutely anything to help his friends, in spite of his own comparative fragility, I think that's one of the things that makes him a great character.  Otherwise the show starts looking like a mini X-Men.  And while I like the X-Men, that's not what this show is supposed to be.

(edited)
Um, what do you mean, he really doesn't have a first name?! I've been watching since s1 and I really don't remember one... damn...

He has a first name, but we don't know what it is yet.  You can see part of his name for a second in The Tell, but not the whole name - and we never hear anyone pronounce it.  Supposedly his mother named him after a relative (her father?  or am I getting that from fanfic?) and it's an unusual and hard-to-pronounce name (at least for American accents), and that's why Stiles always goes by "Stiles" (from Stilinski, presumably).

It's a wish of mine that we get to find out his first name at some point.  Or his father's first name, for that matter.  The only Stilinski whose first name we know is the mom - Claudia - who's dead.

Edited by ElleryAnne
(edited)

Yeah, I've remembered it now, thanks! It seems to be one of those "noodle incident" things - stuff that's alluded to on-screen, but the viewers never learn. Maybe it's for the best (sometimes, no revelations can live up to the fans' expectations), but I have to admit I'm curious, and I'm not even a Stiles fan (he's OK, just not my favorite... that was Allison, *sniff*)

Edited by FurryFury

I always got the vibe that Erica/Cora were supposed to be love interests also. Now it's Malia. I have a feeling that Jeff Davis has a certain plot in mind and is going to see it happen no matter what. I mean, isn't the new were coming to town supposed to be a jock/Jackson replacement?

Apparently over at Alpha Con, Dylan has said that Stiles/Malia did not have sex in 'Echo House'. It was a full sex scene in the script but Dylan argued that it wasn't an appropriate time/place for Stiles to be losing his virginity. So hopefully they'll clarify this in the new episodes. 

• Love 3

Has the show ever explored the fact that Stiles is the only person that knew Scott before he became a werewolf?  Everyone else has never gotten to know Scott as the asthmatic "loser" so that'd be cool for them to explore the special bond between Stiles and Scott, even though they've done a pretty good job of that already.

Apparently over at Alpha Con, Dylan has said that Stiles/Malia did not have sex in 'Echo House'. It was a full sex scene in the script but Dylan argued that it wasn't an appropriate time/place for Stiles to be losing his virginity. So hopefully they'll clarify this in the new episodes. 

I thought the actual quote said that he didn't want to film the scene (which awkward...seeing as how Shelley and Brit Robertson are friends) but that they did have sex. He didn't see the point in it having to be a full scene (a la Derek and Jennifer) and it just cut to them cuddling afterwards.

You may be right. To me it seemed like Dylan was disagreeing with them having sex, but it might just be that he was disagreeing with an explicit raunchy sex scene in that situation. We may never know. Even if Stiles didn't lose his virginity in Echo House we'll probably find out that Malia's been sexing him in the two months between S3b and S4. 

• Love 1

From the Malia thread:

He was going to have sex with Heather in episode 2 in season 3 B at the drop of a hat.

This is very true, but for me, the difference is that he's known Heather since he was younger so it's a bit different. Sure, Stiles was ready to have sex with Heather but at the time, he wasn't going through a mental crisis. He was pretty much drama free at the time. But this time around, he was in a mental institution, trying to control the Nogistune and trying not to hurt people in the process. He was also in the middle of solving something of his own, so stopping to have sex with Malia was just a really odd choice and it didn't feel natural at all. It just felt like the show wanted to tick off a list of Stiles losing his virginity after all that has been said surrounding it. I would have been completely fine with a makeout session because hey, it's a tense situation and maybe Stiles is vulnerable enough to let a werecoyote kiss him. But going straight to sex? It's not in Stiles' character to do something like that, not when he knows he's hurting people around him and he's trying to contain himself, not make himself vulnerable for the Nogistune to sneak its way in. 

If they had said blatantly that it was the Nogistune who had been in control of Stiles at the time, then I might have been fine with that too. But it's the fact that it was Stiles having sex in a mental institution in the middle of a major break with some girl that he helped turn back into a human that creeps me out. It might make sense for Malia, but it doesn't for Stiles and now they're pushing the idea of Stalia and I just don't like it one bit. At least with Scott/Kira, they've slowly introduced the idea of them and we had Kira as a full fledged character before anything happened with her and Scott. With Malia, she was a coyote, then she was human, then she was in a mental institution and then having sex with Stiles. Now she's Stiles' mate or whatever and he presumably might have feelings for her too, which I guess could happen if their friendship grew in the months of offscreen time they had, but it's because it happened offscreen and now Shelly is a regular that bugs me. 

I'm glad females are being represented, but Malia's character does not work with Stiles at all, and we have other characters that could be regulars instead (I really hate to say this, but Ian Bohen's Peter for one, or Danny even. Or even one of the parents). 

• Love 3

I think that they should have developed her character more then they did before her and Stiles did anything. That way if they wanted to make her a regular or better yet a recurring character, I'd actually care what happens to her. They also need to write her more consistently. The scene in the club made no sense, how would she have any clue what to do. I guess she could have been watching everyone else, but she seemed like she knew how to dance "sexy". Which I'd like to think no 8 yr old would know how to do and that was the last time she was human. As for Kira that fit in with her character, she doesn't seem the type to hang out in a club like that.

• Love 2

Even if someone says Yes to sex, they have the right to change that answer to No. (Say, if they're getting scratched and bruised up.) Many people don't, though, because they feel like they already said Yes, because they don't want to hurt the other person's feelings, because they feel physically intimidated

Responding to this comment from the Malia thread in the Stiles thread...

One thing I've noticed is that Stiles never says No to sexual advances, even ones that aren't very romantic or even respectful. I mean there was Heather who dragged Stiles into her cellar and basically told him she wanted to use him as a sexual prop so she could rid herself of her virginity. And Stiles agreed to it, but that could be partly due to low self-esteem. Stiles's unrequited feelings for Lydia were very romantic and if Lydia had ever wanted to be Stiles's girlfriend it's clear he would have lavished her with gifts and compliments. Stiles also seemed to long for the kind of romance Scott/Alison had. But Stiles doesn't get that kind of romantic attention from the girls interested in him. In Eichen House, it seemed like Malia just wanted to sexually experiment with her new human body. Now she seems to have latched onto Stiles as her "mate" but again, there's no romance to it. It feels as if Malia has just found a warm body that she likes.

I can't really judge Malia's nighttime visits until we see one onscreen (which I assume we will). Considering how Kate is proof that you can get turned by a scratch, I think Malia getting scratchy during sex has got to be an issue. Stiles most likely doesn't want to bring it up because he is trying to be supportive and he doesn't want to offend her. He revealed in 4x1 that he half-expects Malia to run off and never come back. Turns out Malia is very attached to Stiles, but she may not know her own strength. I'm sure she doesn't want to hurt Stiles. The spooning suggests she is very protective of him. I think these werewolves sometimes forget that humans don't quickly and magically heal up like they do.     

I thought he was bragging about having sex with Malia, while being a little salacious about her behaviour. If he didn't like it, I think he'd have been clear. Stiles has no problem speaking up when he doesn't like something.

Greenbean, rewatch the scene and listen to Stiles' voice and watch his face. I transcribed for another site, and from his voice and his expressions Stiles is clearly upset about the whole thing—not at all happy with the situation. Even if it's true there is no sex (though it's strongly implied), this is still invasive, intimidating, and abusive.

Stiles: It's 2:00 in the morning. I wake up and she's just lying right next to me. She just sneaks in. This is like five times a week. And then what happens—this. [grimaces and shows scratches/bruises]

Scott: Holy … [clearly shocked]

Stiles: Yeah, right on, right? [sarcastically]

[Here the camera cuts away and fades back in on them a few minutes later coming around the corner where we rejoin the conversation. We don't know what was said in between.]

…and after that, we spent the rest of the night spooning.

Scott: Well that sounds okay.

Stiles: Yeah, but I'm always the little spoon. Always. [disturbed]

Scott: Well this means you guys are together, right? You're dating?

[Here the script takes a sudden turn into "we have to advance the plot" land.]

Stiles: Sometimes the way she looks at me I think she knows I'm not telling her something.

Scott: You mean Peter?

Stiles: We gotta tell her, Scott,

Scott: Yeah, I just … I don't know how.

• Love 1

One thing I've noticed is that Stiles never says No to sexual advances, even ones that aren't very romantic or even respectful. I mean there was Heather who dragged Stiles into her cellar and basically told him she wanted to use him as a sexual prop so she could rid herself of her virginity. And Stiles agreed to it, but that could be partly due to low self-esteem.

It's true Heather's advance was very sudden and, er, utilitarian. You could kind of see Stiles jump to hold back his first instinct, like, Date? Be a gentleman? Um? But he did get on board pretty quickly. And I was okay with the idea that that would punch his V card, because she was an old friend he'd known since toddlerhood. She was trusted and safe. She was human. They didn't have much of a power differential—he had some strength advantage as a taller, human male athlete, and she had some emotional advantage as the one who had set it up and was calling the shots. RIP Heather, dammit.

In Eichen House, it seemed like Malia just wanted to sexually experiment with her new human body. Now she seems to have latched onto Stiles as her "mate" but again, there's no romance to it. It feels as if Malia has just found a warm body that she likes. ... Stiles most likely doesn't want to bring it up because he is trying to be supportive and he doesn't want to offend her. He revealed in 4x1 that he half-expects Malia to run off and never come back. Turns out Malia is very attached to Stiles, but she may not know her own strength. I'm sure she doesn't want to hurt Stiles. The spooning suggests she is very protective of him. I think these werewolves sometimes forget that humans don't quickly and magically heal up like they do.

I agree he is trying to be supportive, and I think he may be enamored of the idea of being in a relationship more than how the the actual relationship is manifesting. You know how people often go into a relationship saying, "Oh, I can change him/her?" He is overtly working to change her!

He may also be somewhat physically intimidated by her aggression and her capacity to do him real harm if she loses control.

(edited)

He may also be somewhat physically intimidated by her aggression and her capacity to do him real harm if she loses control.

Stiles risks his physical safety on a regular basis though, especially with his efforts to support werewolves. Back in S1 when Scott was saying "I'm worried I might kill someone on the full moon" Stiles still took sole responsibility for staying with Scott and trying to help him control his changes. This despite the fact that Scott had already lashed out violently at Stiles several times.

I don't think Stiles is actually scared or disturbed by Malia's roughness anymore than he was scared of Scott when he was first getting to grips with his werewolf powers. Stiles may consider new werewolves to be a lot of hard work and accepts that he may get a bit bruised in the process but Stiles's persistence suggests he's not afraid of being seriously hurt by his werewolf friends.  

Edited by Yitzhak

Stiles has certainly thrown himself into the thick of it with the werewolves. He nearly got slashed when Malia learned to pop her claws, but he is still helping her. He's also an athlete in a fairly rough sport. I think he expects a few knocks in those situations, though he's also good at bringing chains, dodging, scooting out of range, or otherwise protecting himself as needed.

Intimacy/sex/sleeping together is a different context, though, emotionally than training, and physically a more difficult environment to dodge away in. (Hence the injuries.) The bitter sarcasm in his voice when he says, "yeah, right on, right?" Is telling. He really doesn't like the stalking and the roughness.

I was throwing out multiple ideas as to why he might not be flat out stopping Malia. It may not be out and out fear, but he does tend to be somewhat cautious around the werewolves. Or it could be that he just doesn't want to hurt her feelings by saying, "You don't do sex right." The upshot is, he's in a situation he's not happy about.

tumblr_n738c1qVok1s9eqyfo1_500.gif

And I'm the "Stiles would say something if he didn't like it" train. Even if it's just an offhanded comment he drops at random. He seems to like her for the most part, if he didn't we'd know. He was most upset in the latter part of his a Scott's rushed hallways conversation when he expressed concerns about being dishonest with her. His comment about her know he's keeping something from her (Peter) I think was him projecting his guilt onto her. I don't think she has a clue.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm annoyed enough that Stiles apparently has "the spark".

Despite all the fanon about Stiles being a special magical snowflake, I remember Jeff Davis explicitly saying back in Season 2 that it was the mountain ash, not him, that contained magic. Deaton was clearly using a metaphor to explain the use of willpower needed to activate its protective properties with that spark reference. Stiles has hopefully returned to being a resourceful but non-supernatural teenager now that the Nogitsune has been purged from him.

Edited by Bruinsfan
(edited)

Like when Scott got the bite, I feel that Stiles is partly responsible for the circumstances that led to Liam getting bitten. Scott wasn't nearly as frustrated as Stiles was about Liam being better at him at Lacrosse. If it hadn't been for Stiles goading Scott to use his wolf powers, then Liam's initial injury might not have happened, which would mean that his later werewolf bite wouldn't have happened either.

This harks back to the Pilot where it's Stiles who drags Scott out into the woods at night when Scott had just wanted a good nights sleep before practice. In this episode we also have Stiles insisting on getting involved in the latest homicide when his friends would rather just stay in school. In a way, Stiles does have a similar nature to the Nogitsune in that he is drawn to chaos and often ends up causing chaos. Not that Stiles is deliberately setting out to hurt people the way the Nogitsune did but he is often reckless about the danger he draws his friends into.  

Edited by Yitzhak
  • Love 1

Like when Scott got the bite, I feel that Stiles is partly responsible for the circumstances that led to Liam getting bitten. Scott wasn't nearly as frustrated as Stiles was about Liam being better at him at Lacrosse. If it hadn't been for Stiles goading Scott to use his wolf powers, then Liam's initial injury might not have happened, which would mean that his later werewolf bite wouldn't have happened either.

This harks back to the Pilot where it's Stiles who drags Scott out into the woods at night when Scott had just wanted a good nights sleep before practice. In this episode we also have Stiles insisting on getting involved in the latest homicide when his friends would rather just stay in school. In a way, Stiles does have a similar nature to the Nogitsune in that he is drawn to chaos and often ends up causing chaos. Not that Stiles is deliberately setting out to hurt people the way the Nogitsune did but he is often reckless about the danger he draws his friends into.  

I agree with you, and in light of that scene between Stiles and Malia, it's fitting. I think there's a part of him that's always been drawn to danger. Maybe it's having a Sheriff as a dad, or the death of his mother. Maybe it's just him. But that scene where Scott and Kira just wanted to be kids, while Stiles was pushing them to get involved in the new murder, is very telling.

It was nice to have some follow up about Stiles' possession. I hope we get more.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's an interesting reveal that Stiles liked the feeling of being "fearless" and "in control" when possessed. Possibly another reason why the Nogitsune chose Stiles as a host? With his ADHD, panic attacks and sleep problems, Stiles suffers from a lot of very human symptoms of not being in control and has done from early childhood.

But Stiles has actually seemed very in control in S4 so far. Stiles spent most of S3b in a state of frantic terror and now he is fearless enough that he'll risk his were-coyote girlfriend tearing him apart. Even though Stiles is still (along with Lydia) the most physically defenseless of the pack, he has experienced a greater evil than any of the others and he has "come through" it. It doesn't seem like anything can scare Stiles after surviving the Nogitsune.        

Edited by Yitzhak

I'll post something that is probably an unpopular opinion but oh well... here I go anyway

After Stiles had his mind squashed and his body taken over and used as a way of hatching out a demon fox clone of him... I think Stiles is feeling a bit less concerned about his physical and mental wellbeing than perhaps may be healthy. As such I don't think he's in the best mental place to be dating anyone let alone the possibly homicidal feral child he picked up from a mental institution and is now apparently forced to domesticate due to social pressure.

Theoretically it should fall more to Alpha Scott or Derek to take care of the werewolf training aspect for Malia either because blech True Alpha Scott or because Derek is Malia's cousin.

It really shouldn't fall to Stiles to take on the burden of looking after Malia in the way it seems that he's being relied to. When there are many other people who should be picking up the slack. Other than Lydia helping out with homework it seems he's bearing the brunt of the responsibility of Scott Alpha roaring Malia back to human.

I think Stiles is currently undergoing self destructive urges either out of misplaced guilt or deep psychological trauma due to his body being hijacked for mass murder.

I'm thinking Stiles is a broken toy and he's currently limping through life.

Then again I have no idea if the writing is up to that, so maybe I should try and pretend that the 2 month time skip fixed all his emotional issues about nogistunes and near death and losing a 'friend' and the Stalia ship is all fine and dandy.

Or not. I liked Stiles interacting with Jordan. More of that please. Remember when Stiles mentioned that female cop who used to help him with homework that got killed by...

Of course YMMV .

I'm just not feeling the Stile love as much this mini season due to the Stalia ship and the issues he should have being glossed over.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 2

^I agree, I wish they would focus on more of Stiles dealing with what he "did". I imagine he feels a lot of guilt and the loss of a friend (Alison). And Derek is Miala cousin not uncle ;)

Edited by blueray

My mistake BlueRay. It's gets hard to keep track of Derek and his reappearing disappearing family members and their relationships with every passing season. I'll go correct it now. Either way Derek would have more experience dealing with out of control werewolves and he is far less fragile than Stiles. Anyway he's used to be ripped up by crazy werewolves, remember that fun time when he was being clawed up by his erstwhile beta children. 

Is it just me or does it feel like while Stiles is on screen he's not getting as much focus as the other plot points. 

Edited by wayne67

It really shouldn't fall to Stiles to take on the burden of looking after Malia in the way it seems that he's being relied to. When there are many other people who should be picking up the slack.

I doubt that Stiles considers it to be a "burden" though. Stiles loves being a werewolf yoda. In S1 Scott went to Derek to ask for help for adjusting to his werewolf shifts and Stiles was all "No! I will train you myself!!" For whatever reason Stiles doesn't seem to think that being an inexperienced defenseless human should get in the way of him being an expert werewolf coach. It could be that the other pack members have offered to help with Malia (and we've seen that Stiles isn't the only one who spends time with her) but maybe Stiles wants to be Malia's main support system, just like Stiles insisted on being the main person to help Scott in S1?

I think Stiles is feeling a bit less concerned about his physical and mental wellbeing than perhaps may be healthy.

Again, I don't think Stiles' temperament in S4 is any different than what we've seen in previous seasons. I mean Stiles is the kid who in his first scene was saying "Hey! Some girl just got murdered and torn apart in the woods. Let's go look for her corpse in the middle of the night with no protection while her killer is still on the loose. It'll be fun!!" So you know, Stiles has never been very concerned for his personal safety. Not to say it's a healthy mindset (he is reckless) I just don't think anything new for Stiles.  

Edited by Yitzhak
  • Love 2
I'm just not feeling the Stile love as much this mini season due to the Stalia ship and the issues he should have being glossed over.

I agree.  And while everyone already knows I dislike Stalia, I'm going to say that the bigger part of my disappointment with Stiles this season is actually due to the glossing over of what he went through in 3B.  I know he's still Stiles, and it's not like I expect or even want the show to dwell on the emotional repercussions of the Nogitsune possessing him.  But there should be a new layer to him.  I mean, this is the guy who was so freaked out because he nearly killed his best friend that he checked himself into the worst mental health facility in the world.   He was freaked the hell out by what he did, and with good reason.  But this season, he's back to S1 Stiles except in one slightly OOC (IMO) comment he made to Malia about liking the sense of power it gave him.

It would be so easy to give Stiles that extra layer that addresses the emotional scars that should be there, and DO is a strong enough actor to pull it off, but it's like they're not even trying this season.  Whether it's through a return of his panic attacks, or a feeling that he make up for what he did (which could even be used as an explanation for why he's with Malia), or a feeling that he's now invincible, I don't know.  (I lean towards the first one as more in-character, but would accept the either of the others or something else if presented well.)  Even if he was just sometimes defensive about it when the money issues for the overdue bills come up.  But the fact that there's nothing?  That doesn't work for me.  Stiles can be a lot of things, and not all of them are nice, and that's fine.  But I can't buy the idea that he would get over the Nogitsune stuff so easily.  It's worse than lazy writing; it feels like it's damaging to the character of Stiles.  

JD calls it a rebuilding season, but it feels more like a reset season regarding Stiles.  Like we're supposed to ignore any growth or development that should be a part of his character now, and just pretend he's like he was - except when it's useful to refer to it for some other purpose.  It's making me not like Stiles as much this season, and that makes me sad because he used to be one of my favorites.  

• Love 2

I know he's still Stiles, and it's not like I expect or even want the show to dwell on the emotional repercussions of the Nogitsune possessing him.  But there should be a new layer to him.

I felt like there was a hint of the Nogitsune in the moment when Stiles said "You think you can scare me?" which reminded me of Void!Stiles saying "You threatening us?" I think Stiles has become more steely and badass in the face of threats in S4 whether it's an assassin pointing a gun at him or Malia potentially attacking him on a full moon. We might expect Stiles to be traumatized, but I think the ordeal has actually made him more fearless and resilient. Maybe because Stiles has already faced his worst fears in S3b? Stiles still gets scared for his friends safety but not so much for his own.   

• Love 2

I agree that we're seeing a change in Stiles with him being more fearless in the face of dangerous situations. Not that he ever was that careful about getting in those types of situations, but I think now he's being more reckless.

I think last season (3B) we got a lot of developing scenes between the characters because it was at its core a season that dealt with psychological aspects of the characters. Now this season we're back to plot plot plot and with the introduction with the new characters, there's just no time or place for those kind of scenes. I think the scene with Malia where he talks about his experience with the nogitsune is all we're going to get. 

About Stiles wanting to keep the money, I think he'd do the exact same thing back in season 1. He's always been morally gray, it's Scott who's the white hat.

With regards to Stiles taking over with Malia vs Scott/Derek, I don't think he ever gave them the opportunity to past Scott teaching her control. And seeing as how Derek was missing for two whole months then came back with his own problems, I doubt he's really jumping at the opportunity to help her out either. Scott now has to worry about his own Beta, Liam, which leaves Malia to Stiles and no one else (unless she does go dark-side and joins Peter).

Dylan made a comment during Wolf Watch that Stiles doesn't want to share Malia...with anyone.(I'm summarizing what he said, but that is more or less a direct quote.). And it isn't OOC for him, Stiles has always been the type to take care of the people he loves. He did it with his father in season 1 (making sure he ate what he was supposed to, no curly fries) which I think was a habit he picked up when the Sherif used to have a drinking problem. Children that come from homes where a parent had/has an addiction are used to taking care of people and it almost becomes a need for them. (Another character with this same characteristic is Katniss Everdeen, and it's why she and Peeta worked and she and Gale didn't. She felt like she had to look out for Peeta and Gale never needed her in that capacity.). He did the same with Scott when he was turning into a werewolf, he took everything on himself- making sure Scott was locked down during the moon, learned to control his anger (launching Lacrosse balls at him)

I think most Stiles fans are starting to see what most non-Stiles fans have seen since the beginning. Stiles is NOT an altruistic character, and he never has been. He cares about people to a point, but it's always going to be his family, his pack over everyone else. And that's why I've always liked him as a character. He is heavily flawed, but I understand his motivations half of the time. He would be the type to want to keep the Hale money and not just because he doesn't want Peter to have it, but because his dad is struggling financially. He would try to rationalize it out that way, but deep down he wants to take care of his dad and make sure he's okay, make sure the stress of everything doesn't drive him to drink again. He doesn't want Malia to know about Peter because she would (rightfully) go to him and he could possibly take her away from him. And he's been the one helping her out, he's the one she depends on; not Scott or anyone else in the pack, just Stiles.

Maybe it all stems back to him losing his mother; he can't fathom the thought of having to go through that again.

• Love 3
I think most Stiles fans are starting to see what most non-Stiles fans have seen since the beginning. Stiles is NOT an altruistic character, and he never has been. He cares about people to a point, but it's always going to be his family, his pack over everyone else.

I think Stiles is definitely less moral than Scott, although I think he aspires to be heroic. He wants to stare down evil in the face, and say "I don't want to be like you," and stand by the people he loves. People he loves come first, no doubt, but he's also the one who jumps and tries to make everyone else take notice when a serial killer comes to town, even when it doesn't seem supernatural. I also think a good deal of it is he just likes the adventure. This is the kid who said "Hey, wanna go look for half a dead body in the middle of the night?" And the fact that two sons of law enforcement agents thought this was a good idea goes a long way to show why Scott and Stiles are idiots who shouldn't come up with plans.

Maybe it all stems back to him losing his mother; he can't fathom the thought of having to go through that again.

Agreed. This definitely comes up as far as his relationship with his dad, and in his "death happens to everyone around you" speech to Lydia. I've kind of gotten it into my head that part of the reason he and Scott are so close is because his mom died and Scott's dad left at close to the same time so they both kind of needed each other more at that time.

I think Morrell nailed it when she diagnosed Stiles with hyper-vigilance back in S2. I mean, if you combine Stiles' ADHD with PTSD then that's the symptom Stiles would most naturally be suffering with. That said Stiles' fears about Peter are not irrational at all. Consider that Scott and Lydia are two people who Stiles cares most about. In S1, Peter was the one who bit Scott and tried to get into Scott's head to force him into being a member of his pack, even trying to force Scott to kill Stiles. Peter also bit Lydia, psychologically terrorized Lydia, got into her head and controlled her for his own purposes. Peter also murdered a bunch of innocent people in S1 and as the son of the town's Sheriff, I'm sure Stiles isn't willing to forgive or forget that Peter is a serial killer. Oh and Peter also tried to seduce Stiles' surrogate mom Melissa. Is there anyone Stiles cares about who Peter hasn't screwed with? Plus there's the time that Peter almost got into Stiles' own head when he came close to letting Peter give him the bite. Even if Malia recognizes that Peter is a bad guy It wouldn't mean that he isn't capable of twisting her perceptions and manipulating her like he's done with everyone else. Peter is a very charming psychopath. 

I'm interested to seeing what Peter's plans are for Malia and what he makes of her relationship with Stiles. After being so determined to find out who his child was, it seems like Peter's just been sitting back and waiting for her to come to him. Maybe Peter thought it would be best to wait for Stiles' lies to fall apart so he could swoop in at a time Malia was alienated from Scott's pack. And in spite of Stiles lying to her, it seems like "I'd never leave you behind" is the theme of the Stalia ship. So if Malia is drawn to Peter's side does it mean she'll try to draw Stiles to Peter's side too? Does Peter still want Stiles in his pack? Considering how Peter pressured Derek to turn Paige I could see him also trying to convince Malia that they need to turn Stiles.          

Edited by Yitzhak
Peter also murdered a bunch of innocent people in S1 and as the son of the town's Sheriff, I'm sure Stiles isn't willing to forgive or forget that Peter is a serial killer.

Didn't it turn out that all the people Peter murdered except Laura and his psycho nurse were accomplices in the Hale fire? I mean, not that he didn't also terrorize most of the Season 1 cast in "Night School" and try to make Scott kill them, but I think Laura Hale is the only person worthy of the title innocent that he actually succeeded in killing.