Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation

http://deadline.com/2014/12/leftovers-cast-shakeup-season-2-series-moves-new-town-hbo-1201311608/

A large portion of the fourteen regular cast members in Season 1—virtually all in supporting roles— won’t be returning in Season 2 as the series is undergoing a creative reboot, moving the setting from the fictional town of Mapleton, New York to a new location.

Edited by editorgrrl
Removed Spoiler Tags
  • Love 1

Very interesting news, editorgrrl! A "creative reboot" (as opposed to a storyline reboot, I'm guessing?) might finally address the plot and story universe problems we talked about all last season. However, I will try to keep my hopes in check. ;)

• Love 1
A large portion of the fourteen regular cast members in Season 1—virtually all in supporting roles— won’t be returning in Season 2 as the series is undergoing a creative reboot, moving the setting from the fictional town of Mapleton, New York to a new location.

But this makes no sense -- why would every one of the main characters move to the same new location ? Especially after living in Mapleton all or most of their lives. The only thing that would make sense is a gov't mandated relocation.

Is this going to be like Laverne and Shirley where everyone up and moved to California in Season 6 ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Yeah, the story has zero attribution. It also says:

With the series burning through all of the source material in the first season, I hear the producers liked the story opportunities that would come from exploring the world beyond Mapleton.

I had posted it in the speculation thread, but a mod made a new spoiler thread for it.

(edited)

http://tvline.com/2015/04/01/the-leftovers-season-2-texas-spoilers-ask-ausiello/

Question: Got any scoop on Season 2 of The Leftovers? —David

Ausiello: As the drama moves into uncharted territory—it’s already used up most of the plot from the novel on which it’s based—it’s also moving, period, from fictional Mapleton, New York to suburban Texas. In addition, to replace the supporting characters that it’s dropping, the show is adding an African-American family made up of the righteous John Murphy; his hearing-impaired doctor wife, Erika; and their teenage kids, Evie, an athletic extrovert, and Michael, a devout Christian.

Regina King Joins ‘Leftovers’ As Regular

Southland alumna Regina King has joined the upcoming second season of HBO drama series The Leftovers as a new regular opposite Justin Theroux and Amy Brenneman. She will play one of the major new roles on the spiritual post-Rapture drama, which is undergoing a creative revamp heading into Season 2, moving the setting from Mapleton, New York to a Texas town. King will play Erika Murphy, a doctor who runs the local urgent care in the town. She is married with two kids.

HBO ‘The Leftovers’ Season 2 Open Casting Call in Austin, Texas says filming for season 2 started April 27 in Austin, Texas, and will continue through September.

The Leftovers Season 2: Family Matters Alum Among 3 New Additions

The fresh blood includes new series regulars Kevin Carroll (Law & Order: SVU) as John Murphy (husband to Erika, played by Regina King), the Garvey’s new neighbor and head of the town’s volunteer fire department, as well as newcomer Jovan Adepo as John and Erika’s son Michael, a teenager actively involved in his church.

Additionally, Darius McCrary (AKA Family Matters‘ Eddie) is set to guest star/recur as Isaac Rayney, a local palm reader and childhood friend of John’s.

In addition to relocating from New York to Texas, the acclaimed drama is dropping roughly half of its cast; however, leads Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Christopher Eccleston and Carrie C*** are expected to return.

Edited by editorgrrl
In addition to relocating from New York to Texas, the acclaimed drama is dropping roughly half of its cast; however, leads Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Christopher Eccleston and Carrie C*** are expected to return.

So, are they all moving to Texas ?  Because that makes no sense.  One or two people maybe, but not the entire main cast.  What is this turning into Laverne and Shirley (when they left Milwaukee for L.A.) ?

Well, the first season had Tom off in his own storyline all year, so I don't see why they can't do that again in season 2. The way it played out to me, looked like Tom and Laurie were going to be trying to fix their relationship, separate from Kevin and Jill, who were going to try to fix their relationship. And Nora looked to be joining them, in that new, pseudo-family unit. So I guess the latter three head to Texas, while mother and son go on the road somewhere else.

That's two story strands (one which I won't care for, because Tom was boring and Laurie was insufferable), and perhaps a third with Matt. But then again, maybe not, because Matt is Kevin's friend (and confidante) and Nora's brother. So he fits into that group quite well.

• Love 2

TPTB went into the Breaking Bad prequel Better Call Saul with the question, "What problem does Jimmy McGill have that's solved by becoming Saul Goodman?" So I have to ask: what problem does TPTB solve by moving The Leftovers from upstate New York to suburban Texas? Is it significantly cheaper to film in Austin? Was the supporting cast unpleasant and/or expensive? 

Will they even acknowledge the move on screen, or will the characters just act as if they've always been in Texas? And will the remaining Leftovers acknowledge the disappearance of the supporting cast?

I'm surprised Christopher Eccleston's returning. (He bailed after one season of the Doctor Who reboot.) Perhaps fatherhood has changed him?

‘The Leftovers’ season 2 casting fills out the new neighborhood

One of the major players will be Regina King, who will step in as a local doctor who runs the urgent care facility in town. We can expect her to be seeing a lot of Kevin Garvey if his current track record for waking up bruised and bleeding continues into season 2. Her husband, John Murphy, will be played by Kevin Carroll (Law & Order: SVU). The Murphys will reside next door to the Garveys and John will head up the town’s volunteer fire department. They have a son, Michael, who will be played by Jovan Adepo, who will be around the same age as the Garveys' daughter, Jill. He’s described as being actively involved in his church.

From what we’ve seen so far on The Leftovers, involvement in a church has quite the range. In New York there was dwindling involvement in the local community church, but cults like the Guilty Remnant and the Barefoot people have healthy attendance. Michael’s church may fall someone where in the middle.

One more guest star is a face that people may recognize from his days on Family Matters. Darius McCrary, Eddie from the hit sitcom, will recur as a local palm reader and childhood friend of John.

These actors join returning cast members Justin Theroux (Kevin Garvey), Chris Zylka (Tommy Garvey), Amy Brenneman (Laurie Garvey), Margaret Qualley (Jill Garvey), Christopher Eccleston (Reverend Matt Jamison), and Carrie C*** (Nora Durst).

The Leftovers season 2 will return to HBO in 2015.

• Love 1
(edited)

Getting the feeling S2 will be more of the same in a dustier place. Not even caring that no one in that town disappeared.

Season 1 used up most of the novel, so now they're going rogue. 2% of the world's population disappeared, but this town lost no one. Was the event random, or were people chosen? Or was there a geographical or meteorological pattern?

Are the dogs & deer crazy in Texas, too, or other animals? What're the local cults like? Hopefully they dress better & use their words.

ETA: My biggest question is why some characters move to Texas. Are they running away? Did the government mandate relocation? Did a new event move people around?

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maybe this town will be happier because no one disappeared?

I bet it's some kind of "survivor's guilt." Or maybe everyone wished away the town next door. Good God, you have no idea how much I'm looking forward to hate-watching this show again!

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 2
Season 1 used up most of the novel, so now they're going rogue. 2% of the world's population disappeared, but this town lost no one. Was the event random, or were people chosen? Or was there a geographical or meteorological pattern?

Which basically means Season 2 is writers pulling things out of their collective asses.  And we all know how well that worked out for Under the Dumb.  Starting off with -- what's with the long line ? Ticket sale for a special One Direction concert in Jarden (well most of One Direction -- maybe one or two of them disappeared) ?

ETA: My biggest question is why some characters move to Texas. Are they running away? Did the government mandate relocation? Did a new event move people around?

Why would all the major characters from Mapleton move there ?  Does a lite-version of Holy Wayne live there and everyone is flocking to him ?  Seems like a pretty orderly line too considering how long it is, and there is nowhere to get food and no toilet facilities.

• Love 1
(edited)

Which basically means Season 2 is writers pulling things out of their collective asses. And we all know how well that worked out for Under the Dumb.

Under the Dome and Intruders were stupid from day 1. Call the Midwife used up the source material ages ago but is still good.

So I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Under the Dome and Intruders were stupid from day 1. Call the Midwife used up the source material ages ago but is still good.

So I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm not. This is "Lost" but without any real hope for answers and much fewer likable characters. I do believe we're on the same page about everything else.

• Love 1

http://www.hbo.com/the-leftovers/about/article.html

More than three years ago, 2% of the world’s population inexplicably vanished. 140 million people, gone in an instant. No country, no state, no city was spared, except for one small town in eastern Texas. Population: 9261. Departures: Zero.

Now in production in Texas, the ten-episode second season debuts this fall.

So I guess the returning characters go to Jarden, Texas, looking for answers.

(edited)

I'm not. This is "Lost" but without any real hope for answers and much fewer likable characters. I do believe we're on the same page about everything else.

As someone who watched Lost from beginning to end and watched all of the episodes of this show the first season, I think the two shows couldn't be any more different.

As for getting answers, while I will agree that Lost promised them and the ones they delivered might have been disappointing for some, the source material for this doesn't give any answers, so, I'm not sure it's fair to ask the show to do so.  I view this show as an exploration of the human condition, sometimes more successfully than others, but I'm not expecting answers.  I'm perfectly fine with never knowing why 2% of the world's population disappeared.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3

Why would all the major characters from Mapleton move there ?  Does a lite-version of Holy Wayne live there and everyone is flocking to him ?  Seems like a pretty orderly line too considering how long it is, and there is nowhere to get food and no toilet facilities.

Well, most of the major characters from Mapleton are in one family unit, so them moving to a new town together doesn't strike me as particularly odd. Kevin, Nora and Jill were seemingly together at the end of season 1, Matt is Nora's brother in need of a cause. Those four striking out together makes sense.

Laurie and Tom were together, and could believably head to the same place for their own reasons.

The fact that this town had no departures means that the change of location makes sense for those still searching for answers. Why were all of the people in this town left behind? Were they better than everyone else, or worse? As for answers? No thanks. I think the show is absolutely spot on in its stance that grief and loss don't have answers.

• Love 3
(edited)

If a natural disaster killed 2% of the global population, I'd accept no answers. But the event this show is premised upon demands an answer.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 1

If a natural disaster killed 2% of the global population, I'd accept no answers. But the event this show is premised upon demands an answer.

But the source material doesn't give one.  The book this is based on ends without explaining the disappearances, how is it fair to demand an answer from the show?

• Love 1

But the source material doesn't give one. The book this is based on ends without explaining the disappearances, how is it fair to demand an answer from the show?

To correct the mistakes of a lazy writer.

• Love 1
(edited)

TPTB forced Kirkman to explain the cause of zombiism on The Walking Dead. It was a mistake.

OK, when did they explain that? Was it the CDC, Atlanta stuff in Season 1? <-(I ask, knowing we're about to get WAY off topic.)

Edited by revbfc

If you don't want answers, fine. That's your thing. For me, the morass of deep grief isn't compelling by itself, and the show keeps dangling clues that the show runners promise will never pay off. If it's just dealing with loss, then show that and quit spending time on issues that are superfluous to the plot. A show about nothing worked for Seinfeld, but a show about an epic quest for nothing is getting tiring.

Also TWD explained how the virus spreads, but no real answers there. Also, TWD does a much better job with giving us characters who are pushing forward constantly. more than that, TWD has characters who are likable, and scenarios that make me not care that the zombie scourge will never end.

• Love 1

If you don't want answers, fine. That's your thing. For me, the morass of deep grief isn't compelling by itself, and the show keeps dangling clues that the show runners promise will never pay off. If it's just dealing with loss, then show that and quit spending time on issues that are superfluous to the plot. A show about nothing worked for Seinfeld, but a show about an epic quest for nothing is getting tiring.

But that's this show's very premise. It's not a supernatural conspiracy thriller, it's not going to give you the answers you want because the show itself isn't even asking those questions. Not once, to my memory, has anyone on the show ever asked, 'where did they go?'. They've spent all their time thinking 'why didn't I go?' That's what the question is: what is it in the people left behind that explains why they're still here? The guilt and grief of loss.

As for likeable characters in The Walking Dead? I must have missed that episode. Unless you mean the zombies themselves.

• Love 1

-Asking "Why not me?" is looking for answers.

-Characters have asked and speculated about the reasons. The whole show is about people looking for answers they will never get. Fine for life, bad for a show.

-Kevin's visions ( and his father's visions) are unnecessary if they are not germane to the plot, or simply red herring filler.

-Holy Wayne is pointless if his powers weren't connected to the event.

-The only people not looking for answers, the Guilty Remnant, are pointless because they want to move forward less than the regular people.

• Love 1

But it's not asking for an explanation as to what happened, it's asking what is there about those it didn't happen to that means they were left behind. And I happen to think it works just fine for a TV show. I enjoyed the first season very much. A whole hell of a lot more than I would have if it had been another silly, 'aliens/gods/monsters did it' conspiracy show.

Kevin's 'visions' are absolutely necessary, because they're an insight into what's going on in Kevin's head. You think they're visions, I think they were the imaginings of an overburdened mind, addled with prescription drugs, sending itself up the wall as it tried to rationalise all the guilt and grief that Kevin was feeling.

Wayne was nothing more than a confidence trickster, in my view. One of those people who understands and can manipulate the human mind, much in the same way street magicians do on television. He was a cult leader, and preyed on the weak and vulnerable, like most cult leaders do. If he did have some magical powers, they didn't matter because he ended up dead, and Nora proved that the effects were nothing more than a temporary band aid, which could so easily be torn off.

Here's part of the description of the book: "The billions left behind are all touched by the loss of loved ones in the "Sudden Departure", compounded by the significant social and philosophical concerns and implications of what it means to be left behind, when others were chosen.". That's what it's about.

• Love 2

Would it have been too much to ask that the Blessed Town not be in a dust bowl? With a few mountains, a little lake, something nice to look at? Evidently, to be saved we need to be schvitzy.

I, on the other hand, look forward to seeing scenery other than Georgia or Vancouver. Toemaytoe, tuhmahtoe.

Speculation: Perhaps the long line of cars trying to get into Jarden, Texas, is stopped at a border crossing. People are flocking there in hopes of surviving the Departure 2: Electric Boogaloo, and authorities have established a perimeter.

• Love 1

Speculation: Perhaps the long line of cars trying to get into Jarden, Texas, is stopped at a border crossing. People are flocking there in hopes of surviving the Departure 2: Electric Boogaloo, and authorities have established a perimeter.

Despite being on the fence about this season's prospects, I would immediately fork over hard-earned wages to see Departure 2: Electric Boogaloo.

• Love 1

Would it have been too much to ask that the Blessed Town not be in a dust bowl? With a few mountains, a little lake, something nice to look at? Evidently, to be saved we need to be schvitzy.

If Jarden is in East Texas, you should have pine tree forests and lakes and all that nice stuff.  The desert is WEST Texas.  For some reason, people think all of Texas looks deserty.  It does not.

• Love 1

I think tonight is the episode that I was an extra in.  I was one of the visitors inside the Miracle visitor center.  We spent 8 hours walking in a circle.  I caught a glimpse of myself behind Justin Theroux in one of the previews.  :)  

People are trying to secure homes in Jarden since there were no departures from that town.  The Garveys included.  There's a big backlog of applicants and not many people are able to get a home there.

• Love 5

I think tonight is the episode that I was an extra in.  I was one of the visitors inside the Miracle visitor center.  We spent 8 hours walking in a circle.  I caught a glimpse of myself behind Justin Theroux in one of the previews.  :)  

People are trying to secure homes in Jarden since there were no departures from that town.  The Garveys included.  There's a big backlog of applicants and not many people are able to get a home there.

Awesome! Details about Justin Theroux in person? Thinner, taller/shorter, etc than you'd expect? Too bad he wasn't in jogging pants in that scene. :)

Maybe you'll also be in next week's episode since I think it will focus on Kevin & family arriving in Miracle.

Awesome! Details about Justin Theroux in person? Thinner, taller/shorter, etc than you'd expect? Too bad he wasn't in jogging pants in that scene. :)

Maybe you'll also be in next week's episode since I think it will focus on Kevin & family arriving in Miracle.

Yeah, I wasn't actually in the first episode - was part of the crowd inside the center.  Probably the next one.

Justin Theroux is TINY.  He's about as big around as my wrist.  Shorter than I thought he'd be, too.  He looks scrappy, almost. Carrie C**** is also really really skinny.  Margaret Qualley is taller than I thought she'd be.

• Love 3

So supposedly Patti is resurrected at some point in season 2?

Dug up and actually comes back to life?

In S1, they said they won't go into why the people disappeared, just deal with the aftermath of The Disappearance.  Yet there were some quasi supernatural elements, like the way the deer and the dogs behaved.

So you didn't necessarily think they were pulling stunts like the smoke monster out of Lost.

But in S2, they already have a lake being completely drained instantly and maybe this resurrection?  Sounds like Lindelhof is diving back in.

The name is Lindelof, not Lindelhof.

I watched Lost, beginning to end, and it still remains my favorite TV show of all time because of the emotional connection I made with the characters; that was so strong, I could overlook many flaws.

That said, this show is nothing like Lost, IMO.  There are some parallels that can be drawn, but that can be done with many, many shows.  TV has been around for more than 60 years, so, every show out there is bound to do something that was done before.

This show started with a supernatural event (the disappearances), so I'd expect supernatural events to take place on it, be they animals acting weird, lakes disappearing, or what have you.  The main driving force and concept of the show is a supernatural event, I don't understand why another supernatural event would be considered weird or out of place for this show. I would think that given the original premise, supernatural events are to be expected.

• Love 2

People depart this world every day via death, and we have no answers as to what happens to them.

No assurances whatsoever that the promises of religion are fulfilled, none. People continue to follow religion, they continue to speak for a God who refuses to speak for itself.

They interpret events to match the narrative of their holy texts, and go right on praying to a silent God, who absolutely refuses to make its existence known in an indisputable manner.

No, you will get no answers that will make sense.

Besides, I see the mass departure as a plot device, perhaps a weird metaphor for 9-11, or some other catastrophe that fundamentally changes society.

The show is about broken people coping with a world that suddenly changed and facing the unknown.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 3

People depart this world every day via death, and we have no answers as to what happens to them.

No assurances whatsoever that the promises of religion are fulfilled, none. People continue to follow religion, they continue to speak for a God who refuses to speak for itself.

They interpret events to match the narrative of their holy texts, and go right on praying to a silent God, who absolutely refuses to make its existence known in an indisputable manner.

No, you will get no answers that will make sense.

Besides, I see the mass departure as a plot device, perhaps a weird metaphor for 9-11, or some other catastrophe that fundamentally changes society.

The show is about broken people coping with a world that suddenly changed and facing the unknown.

I think you focused on the second half of my comment while ignoring the first part. I already said that I'd expect no answers if it was a natural disaster. This show is peppered with things that, on any other show, would be considered clues. On this show those hints or insights can only be considered red herrings that distract from the theme of facing the unknown. Now that ANOTHER departure has occurred (we think), there's even more emphasis put on the supernatural. The question of "why" does not go away, and the show has no urge to stop bringing it up. If there is no "WHY," the show should simply drop it. Even the theme song for this season has lyrics about not looking for answers while teasing us that there are answers. The show wants it both ways and it doesn't work.

• Love 1

I think you focused on the second half of my comment while ignoring the first part. I already said that I'd expect no answers if it was a natural disaster. This show is peppered with things that, on any other show, would be considered clues. On this show those hints or insights can only be considered red herrings that distract from the theme of facing the unknown. Now that ANOTHER departure has occurred (we think), there's even more emphasis put on the supernatural. The question of "why" does not go away, and the show has no urge to stop bringing it up. If there is no "WHY," the show should simply drop it. Even the theme song for this season has lyrics about not looking for answers while teasing us that there are answers. The show wants it both ways and it doesn't work.

Oh I got your point, and I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction with the writers if they don't deliver an explanation for the departures, or even some of the lessor mysteries.

I was having a little fun with my comment, but the bottom line is we won't get satisfactory answers from this show.

At least, I don't think the writers intend to deliver them.

In this style of story telling, it isn't about revealing the mystery. It is about existing in a constant state of suspense.

Not unlike real life when you think about how people treat religion and the supernatural.

Many claim to know God, or to have seen ghosts, but they don't know for certain.

It is constant doubting, or choosing delusion until you die.

We get no answers.

• Love 1

Is Liv Tyler's character coming back for season two?

I have a feeling the three month-old white baby who the social services worker offered Nora & Kevin for adoption has something to do with her character. (And no, I haven't thought out the "why" of why I think that or the "how.")

Wow, someone above mentioned the baby that is open for adoption being somehow connected to Meg- could the timelines be non linear in the different storylines, so that Meg got pregnant when she raped Tommy, and that baby is their child ( and Kevin's grandchild)?!

I was spying IMDB and saw that the actress who plays Evie is credited for season 2 episode 10 scheduled to air on December 6th. I know we have to take some IMDB info with a grain of salt, but if it's indeed true, I wonder whether Evie is found or if it's just a flashback.   (Btw, Evie's 2 friends that disappeared with her aren't listed for episode 10.)

izykr5.png

Evie's actress's page:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5506401/

Leftovers S02E10 page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4510954/

• Love 1

It looks like the actress who plays Evie is also credited as being in last week's episode "Lens."

Did I miss her or am I reading this incorrectly?

ETA: I just realized that she might be credited because they showed pics of her during the slideshow at the fundraiser for the missing girls.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 1