Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

That's not mink, it's the beaver coat he got from the estate sale of Edward Gorey. But yeah, it'll take a gale-force wind to lift that hem….

A girl can dream about what lies beneath though!

• Love 2

spinner, it's been so long I can't even remember where I read that he said that. There's a TR pic of him with the coat on, showing the inner lining with the Gorey label on it, and I remember he said he bought it from the estate.

• Love 2

Nice to know that celebs have celeb crushes too.  I could see several reason why Matthew would admire Gorey, so that makes sense. 

Makes me want to go read "Gashlycrumb Tinies"  =)    K is for Kate who was struck by an axe......     

Looks like Matthew is wearing flip-flops, which is good. I wouldn't want him to harm those feet of his.

And you're right, Spinner33, it's nice to know the celebs we like also have celeb crushes. Matthew's fandom of Gorey just makes him more human to me.

• Love 3
(edited)

He has nice feet. Very visible in a cool scene from "Suburban Gothic."

o0vwzh.jpg

Edited to add: Pic is blurry and there are no feet in it, but he is shirtless, so it all makes sense. If you click on it, you can see the bigger image.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 1

Thinking of Morgan's longevity with the show made me think of Reid's longevity- both characters are the only ones who have appeared in every single CM episode- and, while I'm not sure if Morgan would be up for it, I think Reid could have a legitimate shot at breaking John Munch's record for the longest time depicting one character. Much had 22 years on Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit before his character retired last season (in fairness, Richard Belzer is 70).

Reid, however, is young enough (Matthew Gray Gubler is 35 this Monday) that if CM were to continue for that long (unlikely, but you never know) or if he wanted to continue playing the character (more likely) that another 13 seasons of Reid (which would break Munch's record) is more than doable. Of course, the question would be, since Gubler is still young by Hollywood standards, would he want to continue playing Reid until he's almost 50 or would he take advantage of his youth and try for something more, because he'd be capable of it.

Personally, I could watch another 13 years of Reid, especially if CBS wises up and just hands him his own show. Maybe it's just me, though.

• Love 4

Thinking of Morgan's longevity with the show made me think of Reid's longevity- both characters are the only ones who have appeared in every single CM episode- and, while I'm not sure if Morgan would be up for it, I think Reid could have a legitimate shot at breaking John Munch's record for the longest time depicting one character. Much had 22 years on Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit before his character retired last season (in fairness, Richard Belzer is 70).

Reid, however, is young enough (Matthew Gray Gubler is 35 this Monday) that if CM were to continue for that long (unlikely, but you never know) or if he wanted to continue playing the character (more likely) that another 13 seasons of Reid (which would break Munch's record) is more than doable. Of course, the question would be, since Gubler is still young by Hollywood standards, would he want to continue playing Reid until he's almost 50 or would he take advantage of his youth and try for something more, because he'd be capable of it.

Personally, I could watch another 13 years of Reid, especially if CBS wises up and just hands him his own show. Maybe it's just me, though.

It;s not just you! I love the character of Reid and would happily watch him another 13 years! Mind you, I could happily just watch Matthew in anything, anytime!

• Love 4

Considering how poorly and minimally Reid has been written in recent years, I personally wouldn't want to see Matthew waste his best years playing a character completely unappreciated by the showrunner and writers.

• Love 2

I agree, FA. But he could buy the rights to his character like Belzer did, thus ensuring his characterization would be fantastic.

However, I just think MGG stays at this point out of obligation, to keep his word that he would see it through.

• Love 1

I agree, FA. But he could buy the rights to his character like Belzer did, thus ensuring his characterization would be fantastic.

I hope he does that. Given that he's starting to push back on stories for his character that he didn't like, he might be starting to realize Reid deserves more.

Maybe his own spinoff becomes a reality. :)

• Love 1

I hope he does that. Given that he's starting to push back on stories for his character that he didn't like, he might be starting to realize Reid deserves more.

Maybe his own spinoff becomes a reality. :)

He could, but I don't believe this is actually what he really wants for himself, given all of his unique side choices. It seems like he genuinely loves his fellow cast members, and that is a big reason he has even stayed this long.

Although, being Spencer Reid for 10 years on a lucrative TV show has given him a lot of freedom and opportunities he may not otherwise have had...

• Love 4

Yeah, if he could buy the rights to Reid without tying up his future, I'd say, go ahead! But, yeah, i think once the show is over, he will happily and gratefully move on. I admit, I would like to see Reid come back in the future, if he owned it and could make it how he pleased.

• Love 2

So, I was reading Matthew's birthday horoscope (yeah, I'm that nerd fan), and it says "Bonus money comes this month. April brings new responsibilities. An exciting trade happens in August."

Hahahahaha, oh I'm having so much fun speculating...

• Love 1

I never knew an actor could buy and own rights to his character.  Seems that would be only available to the person who created him, writer or otherwise, since the actor just portrays him.  And I don't mean "just" in a minimal way.  I, too, love me some Spencer Reid.

I actually suspect that Matthew was ready to hang up Reid's cardigans back in season 6 but that he stayed out of loyalty. I have no proof of this suspicion, but I don't think the character makes him very happy (although that is mostly because of the writing for him-- they seem to mostly write tragedy for him). I don't think he would want to continue playing the character that long. I don't think he would totally balk at it if someone asked him to play Reid on say a spinoff or something though-- at least in a guest spot. He played Reid at a little comedy thing in LA.. I'm trying to remember the name of it... But his ultimate profile of someone was that "he's a world class asshole". LOL. I think maybe it was Top Story Weekly....

• Love 1

Well...it honestly depends on what social media platform you look at. I mean, Matthew leads when it comes to Twitter, but Shemar blows him out of the water on Facebook and Instagram. But what is consistent, is that based on social media, the most popular people on that show are under represented in terms of screen time.

• Love 2

Well...it honestly depends on what social media platform you look at. I mean, Matthew leads when it comes to Twitter, but Shemar blows him out of the water on Facebook and Instagram. But what is consistent, is that based on social media, the most popular people on that show are under represented in terms of screen time.

FA I honestly feel the reason for that is because out of all the cast Shemar has the biggest following when it comes to CM's international audience.And somebody told me once that a show's Facebook following has a lot to do with it's international audience. But having a huge international following does little to help a show's rating. As evidence by the fact that CM has over 15 million followers on Facebook but when it comes to it's live + same day ratings it is only getting around 10 million viewers.

I continue to be off the opinion that when it comes to the CM's domestic audience(the audience that brings in the ratings) MGG/Reid is the show's biggest draw.followed by Shemar. Again this is just my opinion.But it really doesn't matter anyway,because most of the time it seemed like AJ/JJ was treated like she was the show's biggest draw both domestically and internationally.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

Figures on facebook, Instagram and twitter are affected by the age of the users. The latest demographic studies for this current year show that older users prefer facebook, while younger adults use the three of them. Gubler is younger, and even though he has older fans, his fanbase age is lower than Moore's. In addition, Moore has some long term fans from his days on that soap opera (the young and the....?) since he is not only ten years older than Gubler, but also his carrear is longer, so their figures cannot be compared in just plain quantitative ways.

It depends on who the show's managers are aiming to. Who knows: maybe they are trying to attract male audience by using Cook and Hewitt, since they think they have the female audience on their pockets. Quite a few of us are still hanging there, even just to see our favourite ones for a couple of minutes and a handful of lines.

• Love 4

In sad news, A & E has yanked the video from youtube, region-locked it so that it is no longer viewable in North America. Because they eat a bowl of dicks. :-(

ROTFLMAO!! I've heard that expression before, but it really amuses me.

Another must-see is Matthew's New York story at the Paley Center (too lazy to get the url right now).

I think Carl would be a perfect unsub for Criminal Minds. :) :) :)

Ooh----Reid's evil twin!  You know what, I wouldn't even mind.  It would at least be entertaining.

• Love 1

These are older pics, but I found them when trying to look up something for another forum when someone asked about Matthew's family. They are pics of Matthew holding his nephew, Hunter.

tumblr_mukuzzcVxD1so0yzpo1_500.png

tumblr_mukuzzcVxD1so0yzpo2_500.png

LOL. There is so much weirdness from Matthew, I doubt if Hunter even notices the hair.

A slight change of topic, and sort of moving a discussion over from the Rock Creek Park thread:

We were talking about why Reid now rejects handshakes. I'll have to see if I can get someone to help me find the original tweet.. But Matthew was the one who said that he played Reid as a germaphobe and that was why Reid didn't like to shake hands. 

My pet theory is that the earlier writers didn't pay much attention to that and it wasn't much of an issue because they were giving Matthew more to work with. In later seasons, they stopped giving him anything to work with and I think he was getting bored or feeling unchallenged and he wanted something to do-- maybe a little something to help him get in to character. He has to believe in the character to get in to character, so when all he was doing was spouting random factoids, it was probably harder. The germaphobia angle gave him something to think about. He apparently said that he wanted to switch to the revolver and use the appendix carry to make himself stand out a bit more.

So basically he wants Reid to be different and unique. The show started making all of the contributions from the team members very generic-- not reflecting their unique perspectives, personalities, and experiences. Even though we see more personal stuff, I think we often get less insight into their actual personalities in many ways.

I found it offputting the first time that Reid actively rejected a handshake. I did not think that was in character, but I wonder if the writers added that as some way to appease Matthew for lack of giving him anything else to do. If they couldn't come up with decent lines and something meaty for him, I think they threw him a bone on the germaphobia thing and had him not shake hands, just so he could have something to do.

If I try to rationalize it, I can just assume that Reid's germaphobia is a very irrational phobia and that emotionally, if he doesn't know someone or doesn't like them he sort of imagines them as being more dirty. He can shake hands with people he knows and likes because he doesn't think about the germs as much-- although I think it would be hilarious of one of the team had absolutely filthy hands and tried to touch him and he dodged and would be like "hey! you need to wash your hands!" or something. I'd love to see a plumber or janitor who just got their hands out of a toilet without washing their hands reach over and shake Reid's hand or put their hand on the back of his neck and pat him or something and have him freak out that he has to go shower or wash the germs off. Or someone can shake hands with another team member and say "guess where its been!" (which is what my old vet used to say whenever he shook hands with people). Why Reid didn't reject handshakes in the beginning, I can rationalize as his germaphobia getting worse over the years. I'm not a germaphobe, but I am more conscious of germs and such than I was 10 years ago. I'm more aware of dirt after I got a skin infection involving parasites from dirt under the house (that my cats brought in). So, maybe something happened with Reid off-screen that made him worry even more about germs.

• Love 1

I rationalize the germophobia for myself by Reid originally being shy, insecure and wanting to fit in so making himself conform and shake hands  but, as he has gained in confidence and security in his position, he feels able to avoid doing it. Of course, it was never originally a thing until Matthew brought it in as a characteristic.It could also be getting worse as that does seem to happen in reality.

• Love 2

I rationalize the germophobia for myself by Reid originally being shy, insecure and wanting to fit in so making himself conform and shake hands  but, as he has gained in confidence and security in his position, he feels able to avoid doing it. Of course, it was never originally a thing until Matthew brought it in as a characteristic.It could also be getting worse as that does seem to happen in reality.

That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. It actually makes sense. Its possible that he was shaking hands to conform and maybe Gideon told him to shake hands or he was worried about being rejected or something if he didn't do what he was expected to do. Now that he's older, more confident, and more established he can have the freedom to not do something if he's not comfortable. I think it could be that combined with the phobia worsening.

I remember when Howie Mandel had a full head of curly hair and I think he even used to shake hands with people. Then he got even more worried about germs, shaved his head, and won't shake hands. But he will hug people and do fistbumps. If someone coughs or sneezes he'll run. LOL.

• Love 1

This makes sense. I guess he could be somewhat of a germophobe as well -- I'd call it more of a quirk than actual phobia, since shaking hands seems to be the only thing he actively avoids. Quirks and phobias aren't necessarily rational. I'm no germophobe, and as a nurse, I have my hands in a lot of places that non-nurses would find revolting (even though I'm wearing gloves and washing religiously). But I can't bring myself to touch surfaces and handles in a public restroom; I'm pretty creative with my elbows and feet. I've actually stood in place for several minutes waiting for someone to come in so I can fling myself out the door without touching it.

Seems to me like the first person whose extended hand Reid studiously avoided was that detective, who had previously tried to railroad Morgan. Maybe he has to really know and trust someone to accept a handshake from them, and that guy didn't pass muster.

Actually, that detective was not the first to be snubbed by Reid. There was someone at a crime scene-- I can't remember if it was a cop or one of the evidence techs or who the guy was, but Reid refused to shake his hand. I remember thinking it was very odd and out-of-character at the time because Reid had never flat-out pulled his hand away to avoid a shake before.

It made more sense with the guy you mentioned because the guy had treated Morgan like crap (although I think he really regretted it and you could see on his face that he wanted to apologize when he realized what had happened).

• Love 2