Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

Foe those of ya'll who get ION, The Big Game just started, and Revelations will be on afterwards. Because I think about this show way too much, I always wonder if Reid thinks about what he told Elle during Aftermath, that she won because Randall Garner was dead and she was alive. I don't mean that in an insulting way towards him, just that their experiences were sort of similar, and there was really no "winning" even though they both survived.

• Love 5

I also find it ridiculous that they write Reid as someone so unattractive that team/frienemies make jokes and mock him about it.  A genius= geek and must be unattractive, it is long established in low intelligence low maturity sitcoms and movies...har de har har.  However, they also hypocritically style and dress Reid as the elite fashion model that MGG is.  They take lingering shots and beautiful poses of his face and movements.  No other character except Reid is characterized as the opposite of actual physical portrayal. 

• Love 6

I think Erica's goals and limitations as a showrunner and a writer are summed up in her core mission statement for the spinoff: "SIMPLE, scary stories." I think Erica strives for simple, because she either is incapable of writing complex stories with complex psychology and complex character development, or she has no interest in it, so she doesn't employ writers capable of that (with a couple of exceptions). And since Reid by his very nature is a complex character, he suffers more than the other characters in my opinion. Not that any of them are really shining, because they ALL lack depth and complexity since Erica took over.

It would have been very interesting if Elle had stuck around and how she could have helped him after Tobias. He definitely would have had a different reaction, since he had a new perspective. When he talked to Elle, he simply had never survived a trauma like hers, so he had no frame of reference. He tried to help her the best he could, but didn't have the personal knowledge that just because your monster is dead and you have "won", that it doesn't automatically make your trauma go away. It could have been potentially a very rich conversation for both of them.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 4

There's an article about Matthew that seems to be in something about fashion, but photos were taken in Matthew's house and yard. Looks like he changed the tile in his bathroom (he previously posted pics of himself in the tub with white subway tiles around and now it has blue tiles that are shaped differently). I wonder if he didn't like the look or if there was a leak.

And his bed.. holy shit, I've never even seen a canopy bed like that before. That thing must have been very expensive.

http://www.thecoveteur.com/matthew-gray-gubler-actor/

There were some nice little tidbits about his family and such. He finally explained the little ring we often see on his finger when he's directing. It's his mother's and he wears it for luck. He also carries a pocketwatch from his father when he's directing. Oh, and he wanted John Waters to play William Reid but they couldn't get him for it.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 3

That was a great article! Wonderful pictures and some glimpses of his life. Lovely home and cool furnishings and appointments. I appreciated all the tidbits. He lives and dresses exactly like I expected he would.

• Love 2

I think Erica's goals and limitations as a showrunner and a writer are summed up in her core mission statement for the spinoff: "SIMPLE, scary stories." I think Erica strives for simple, because she either is incapable of writing complex stories with complex psychology and complex character development, or she has no interest in it, so she doesn't employ writers capable of that (with a couple of exceptions). And since Reid by his very nature is a complex character, he suffers more than the other characters in my opinion. Not that any of them are really shining, because they ALL lack depth and complexity since Erica took over.

What Erica doesn't get is most of us do not want simple; we want complex. What really made me a fan of CM once I finally discovered it is it respected my intelligence. The show figured I had the brain to handle stories that didn't spell things out to me like I was an ignorant child. I want complexity back, please.

And does anyone know how Erica got involved in CM and got so far? Her success baffles me.

But then again, a lot about Hollywood and the TV industry baffles me.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 1

There's an article about Matthew that seems to be in something about fashion, but photos were taken in Matthew's house and yard. Looks like he changed the tile in his bathroom (he previously posted pics of himself in the tub with white subway tiles around and now it has blue tiles that are shaped differently). I wonder if he didn't like the look or if there was a leak.

And his bed.. holy shit, I've never even seen a canopy bed like that before. That thing must have been very expensive.

There were some nice little tidbits about his family and such. He finally explained the little ring we often see on his finger when he's directing. It's his mother's and he wears it for luck. He also carries a pocketwatch from his father when he's directing. Oh, and he wanted John Waters to play William Reid but they couldn't get him for it.

Thank you so much for sharing this. What a delight. What I like about Matthew's home is you just know he trusted his instincts and creative vision to decorate it, not some Hollywood decorator. There is not one false item in his home; it's so "Matthew." And another thing I like about his home is it comes across quirky (this is Matthew were talking about), but at the same time inviting and warm.

• Love 4

That? Is awesome. I might not actually have loathed Sperm Donor if Waters had played him, at least not completely and totally.

• Love 2

I think John Waters playing SP Reid would have been too evil a depiction! Plus, they would have had to make him look less John Waters-ish, the mustache would have to be more normal or shaved off altogether, and i don't know if the man can even breathe without that pencil-thin thang...

• Love 3

I think John Waters playing SP Reid would have been too evil a depiction! Plus, they would have had to make him look less John Waters-ish, the mustache would have to be more normal or shaved off altogether, and i don't know if the man can even breathe without that pencil-thin thang...

His 'stache is so a part of what makes him 'him' that I almost think he was born with it.

• Love 3

I think it might have been interesting. I don't know if he would have shaved the mustache. I imagine he could play someone else and do a serious role. It all depends though.

zannej, I've only ever seen Waters in roles where he's John Waters, very over-the-top, and, like Droogs says, "a tad camp." I would love to see if he could be serious, and exude the type of masculinity that this role would have required. I really like the way whats-his-name played William, he brought that bastard to life!

• Love 3

zannej, I've only ever seen Waters in roles where he's John Waters, very over-the-top, and, like Droogs says, "a tad camp." I would love to see if he could be serious, and exude the type of masculinity that this role would have required. I really like the way whats-his-name played William, he brought that bastard to life!

Spencer's sperm donor makes me want to go def level bitch on his ass!!!!! Having experienced a somewhat difficult childhood myself, the issues of how we treat children (whether we're a parent or not) is very important to me. It is so easy to hurt a child and those hurts can mark a child for a lifetime. I made the choice to not have children for very personal reasons I won't go into now, but if I did I hope I'd have the wisdom to raise them in a way that treasures and protects them emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually.

When I watch episodes of CM that feature sperm donor I want to scream, "Are you deaf, dumb and blind? Do you not realize what a truly amazing son you have you piece of shit?" (sorry, collecting articles doesn't make up for being absent for nearly two decades).

I guess I'm extra stabby about this because my uncle, my mom's brother, deserted his family soon after his wife was diagnosed with cancer. He has not been in contact with his two children since then. His daughter just had a baby. My uncle has not done one thing to meet his first grandchild. He's nearly 70 and would rather party and chase hot young tail. I know, his loss. But it pisses me off. As I mentioned, I'm not a mom, but I am an auntie. Being an auntie is a gift I wouldn't give up for all the riches in the world.

• Love 4

The guy who plays William Reid is Taylor Nichols. I think he did a good job. I think he did apologize to Reid-- but waaaay too late. Although, I've known people who had worse parents.

• Love 1

I do believe the show wanted to have some kind of reconciliation between Reid and the Sperm Donor. But my guess would be that it probably didn't go over very well with the fandom, hence the reason why we probably never heard about him ever again.

I do believe the show wanted to have some kind of reconciliation between Reid and the Sperm Donor. But my guess would be that it probably didn't go over very well with the fandom, hence the reason why we probably never heard about him ever again.

I agree, MMC. I think Reid fans collectively hate William Reid, which would be a great reason to being him back -- what a great storyline it would inevitably be, unless of course it was all pie-in-the-sky happy reunion. And I miss Diana! Fans miss her so much, which is funny bc we haven't seen her since Season 4. Jane Lynch was absolutely awesome as Reid's mom. Her scenes remain some of my favorites. I think ratings would skyrocket if they brought her back.

• Love 2

Yes, bring Diana back, but the real Diana, not the fake-recovered, going off on sight-seeing trips, I'm miraculously cured Diana! I don't want the character back if she is retconned, the way some of these writers write...

• Love 6

Yes, bring Diana back, but the real Diana, not the fake-recovered, going off on sight-seeing trips, I'm miraculously cured Diana! I don't want the character back if she is retconned, the way some of these writers write...

I totally agree with this.

I would rather have an entire season without Reid's personal stories than one episode in which everything we learnt from this family is crushed in order to make it more Disney-like. Messer and Co. already changed Reid's background to make it 'better'(according to them, of course) by adding that aunt that criticised his hair, half-curing Diana's schizophrenia and making him 'popular' with the basketball team. Maybe they think if Reid's past is less angsty, fans would be happier, but I know I would be much better if they show him showing maturity while dealing with the bad cards life gave him. We all have our burdens and troubles, and overcoming them is part of life.

Edited by MCatry
  • Love 7

I wish Messer would just not, you know?  Keep your hands off Reid and Hotch and everyone else for that matter.  Quit trying to make a happy ending for everyone.  Quit trying to make everyone pair up, get married, and have babies.  Quit trying to make it all better.  Because that's not how life works.  That's not how drama works either.  I want stories where you DON'T know how it's going to end after reading a one-paragraph summary, based on other works by the same bad writer who happens to be the boss.   Keep me guessing, not with fake-ass SHOCKING TWISTY TWISTS YOU WILL NEVER SEE COMING OMG HYPE, but with realistic struggles that the characters have to overcome to win at the end of the day.  Have them not win every struggle.  Have them struggle and lose sometimes.  That's what it's about for me - real drama.  Not fake-ass ploys and unrealistic twists, and happy endings that ring very false.     

• Love 9

I don't actually hate William Reid-- probably because he's not a real person. I have friends who's parents bunked on them so they had to be raised by grandpaents-- and friends who were physically and emotionally abused by parents.

I admit, I don't want to see a Disney type thing of Reid being completely over what his father did-- but I could see him saying "Look, its not good for me to hold on to the anger so for Mom's sake and my own sake, I am going to let you be in my life. I can sort of forgive you-- but I can't forget what you did to us. Don't expect sunshine and roses." And that maybe Reid would reluctantly spend time with his father and try to be civil to appease his mother. And Reid wouldn't ever try to rely on his father for anything because he would not want to open himself up to disappointment again.

Edited by zannej
  • Love 5

Yes, zannej, if they could handle writing this scenario on the show, I'd be behind it, especially if they could interweave the story the way BZ did Hotch and his FIL - but i'm just saying they have a lousy track record for retconning canon stories, so I'd rather they just walk away...

• Love 3

Yes, zannej, if they could handle writing this scenario on the show, I'd be behind it, especially if they could interweave the story the way BZ did Hotch and his FIL - but i'm just saying they have a lousy track record for retconning canon stories, so I'd rather they just walk away...

I have no idea of what it is like to develop, create or run a TV show (and apparently neither does Messer ::rimshot::), but I hope I would at least try to keep my ducks in a row and write down and keep track the important elements of all my characters to use as a viable reference so the show doesn't slide so off-course.

• Love 4

I have no idea of what it is like to develop, create or run a TV show (and apparently neither does Messer ::rimshot::), but I hope I would at least try to keep my ducks in a row and write down and keep track the important elements of all my characters to use as a viable reference so the show doesn't slide so off-course.

Maybe Messer and Co. aren't that skilled at keeping canon at bay.

Or maybe they just want to differentiate themselves from the past CM, ruled by Bernero and Mirren, and in the process they purposely decided to stomp on canon.

They did change canon for multiple characters, not just Reid, and I have a hard time believing its just an unfortunate collection of unintentional mistakes.

• Love 5

Maybe Messer and Co. aren't that skilled at keeping canon at bay.

Or maybe they just want to differentiate themselves from the past CM, ruled by Bernero and Mirren, and in the process they purposely decided to stomp on canon.

They did change canon for multiple characters, not just Reid, and I have a hard time believing its just an unfortunate collection of unintentional mistakes.

They just  need to hire us as consultants.

• Love 5

MCatry, I do think the old team/new team does play into the cavalier attitude Erica Messer and Company have towards the canon. It's not just a few mistakes. 

It's making the most important person in Spencer's life and her tragic illness that defined him from child nothing but an "oops, found the right meds! I'm all better!"

It's making a formerly somewhat gritty character named Penelope, who learned to soldier through the awful parts of the job because her team needed her, into an infantile, gibbering, sex-obsessed, sunshine and rainbows idiot, who can't even be happy when she (accidentally) saves her friend's life. 

It's making the old veteran, grizzled and experienced, into a sentimental martyr who gives himself willingly over to (again, accidental) fatherhood and grandfatherhood that he never earned.

It's making a formerly much appreciated media liaison cum profiler into the best darn badass-kicking-shootin-eyerollin-mommyin-superhero that ever oh ever there was!!!

Edited by normasm
  • Love 8

It's otter, old dog, that's the Edward Gorey coat he got at auction. I will say, big feet or not, he's no Shemar Moore! *jk, I prefer his type* 

And Bookish Jen, i'm kinda glad to have the mystery cleared up, since he has many times joked about being under endowed, it's nice to see he's just fine.

It's otter, old dog, that's the Edward Gorey coat he got at auction. I will say, big feet or not, he's no Shemar Moore! *jk, I prefer his type* 

And Bookish Jen, i'm kinda glad to have the mystery cleared up, since he has many times joked about being under endowed, it's nice to see he's just fine.

I saw those beach pics of Shemar nude and Matthew seems to be packing just as much!! I should be ashamed of myself ogling young men at my age!!

• Love 3

Now you can rest easy, getting Matthew's, ahem, package cleared up and finding it's up to your standards. Now excuse me while I blush demurely at the very thought.

• Love 1

Blush on, Babe!

Right back at ya, Darling!

I'm sure all of my blushing has less to do with Matthew and more to do with my more shy and reserved nature. Though once you get me out of my shell, I can be a bit bawdy and ribald at times.

• Love 2

FA, that's exactly what I prefer. Shemar is not for me….

(OK, Matthew is not for me in real life, plus, I'm married, plus I'm older than he is, plus, I live over here and he lives over there, plus….)

Edited by normasm
  • Love 4

Maybe you can get it from the CBS website? Any way, he's answering questions like "What do you do when you first wake up?" and he's just being kinda silly. Then some questions get through about his directing, and about mr.Scratch, which he's more interested in. He basically says it's very shocking, the last act particularly, and that He and Breen were trying to push it every minute.

Also learned he still has his dog Mallory, who lives with his parents because of his "crazy schedule."

He was still wearing his mother's ring, so he was still finishing the episode he directed, and he looked very relaxed and sexy.

• Love 3

Maybe you can get it from the CBS website? Any way, he's answering questions like "What do you do when you first wake up?" and he's just being kinda silly. Then some questions get through about his directing, and about mr.Scratch, which he's more interested in. He basically says it's very shocking, the last act particularly, and that He and Breen were trying to push it every minute.

Is that the royal 'he', normasm? ;-)

Seriously, though, that's an adorable interview. "I look out the window and smile." Even if he doesn't mean it, that kills me because its just so cute. Although apparently he doesn't surf CM-related stuff very much, because how can he not know about the many, many, many discussions about his hair? :-P

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4