Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

When he mopped his tear with that crumpled tissue, and his hands were shaking... Good grief.

That's why I loved what came after.  The makeup crew can fake a tear with a variety of irritants.  But the tissue, and the shaking hands---that was all MGG.

• Love 5

And it was soooooo subtly done, no over-the-top sobbing or shaking, just a strangled sob and the instinctual hiding his tears behind the sopping tissue with a little tremble. That really must be so hard to do that subtly, really. It would be easier to do the big boo-hoo, IMO.

• Love 5

I agree.  I thought it was so much more effective than the sobbing at the end of Lauren.  To me, that scene has always felt strange.  When it comes to crying on screen, less is definitely more.

• Love 3

I know, Droogie, the soggy tissue was the thing, wasn't it?

If they sold that tissue on eBay, I'd probably bid on it.

I agree.  I thought it was so much more effective than the sobbing at the end of Lauren.  To me, that scene has always felt strange.  When it comes to crying on screen, less is definitely more.

I didn't so much go for that either. But I read an interview with someone who was asked how hard it is to get MGG to actually cry in a scene, and the person said that he can truly cry on command. I believe it.

• Love 5

I think these two were different situations, and the crying was appropriated in both. In Lauren they all still had hope that things would get better, and when JJ came in with the bad news, bawling was ok. In Gideon's dead Reid already knew what was going on. That is why he sat still in the car for a few moments, to gather the strength to face the situation. And he didn't bawl because I am pretty sure he already did, at home or at whatever place he was when he received the news. When my dad died at the hospital it was my mother's shift to take care of him, so she called me at my house, and I didn't cry straight away, but as soon as I hanged up the phone I bawled. Then, when I calmed down I drove to the hospital and when I saw my dad I felt as if all the air I had suddenly had left my body, and I had to sat down by my sister's side. Neither of us cried then because we were just exhausted. Crying really wear you out.

• Love 4

I know different people deal with death in different ways. I thought Reid's reaction to both "deaths" (Emily's and Gideon's) was realistic. Matthew is a method actor so he makes himself feel the grief (which might be why he doesn't want to do some of the sad stuff as much-- and I don't blame him). I like that he doesn't always cry the exact same way-- there are variations depending on the situation. He's also one of the few male actors I've seen who gets snot dripping from his nose in some crying scenes (I believe he did that in "Revelations").

McCatry, I'm so sorry about your Dad. I lost mine a few years ago, but sometimes it still feels like yesterday. When Reid was crying over Gideon, it made me think of my father's death. 

I just hope they don't kill off anyone else in Reid's life though. He needs some happiness-- but not done in a really sappy gag-a-maggot way. Matthew has proven that he can do romantic scenes well. He really has a lot of range, but he doesn't get to show it much on this show.

• Love 5

It's all good, pals. My dad died a little over two years ago, so even though its rather recent, it feels for me as if it has been ages ago, given the amount of time we wait for him to finally die. Sometimes death is a relief, and, as my mother would say, we all gonna die sooner or later.

My point is that when you know already that someone died, you get a different reaction than when you just find that out at the very same instant. I consider myself lucky, because I was able to say goodbye, but I can't imagine how painful may be to go to a hospital to find out that your loved one just died.

Regarding Reid, and Gubler, I don't quite remember any other male actor that really cries that well. I think Gubler got quite a few fans with his first tears at LDSK, and fans only wanted to hug him to make him feel better.

• Love 5

MCatry, I lost my dad 20 years ago and my mother 19, and the reaction to each of the deaths, for me was different, not because I loved them to different degrees, but because they and the circumstances were different each time. When my mother died, I had gone through my father's, death, so it was different from that, too. My daddy's death was so sad for me, but my mother's death set up a sustained longing and homesickness that has abated somewhat, but not entirely.

So many things come into play when a person encounters the deaths of people s/he loves. I can see Reid being plausibly different in his reaction to the deaths of Emily, Maeve, Gideon, even Tobias. He's older now, and that makes a difference, too, but when parental figures die, we all revert to our child selves, I think, at least for a period.

• Love 5

So many things come into play when a person encounters the deaths of people s/he loves. I can see Reid being plausibly different in his reaction to the deaths of Emily, Maeve, Gideon, even Tobias. He's older now, and that makes a difference, too, but when parental figures die, we all revert to our child selves, I think, at least for a period.

That is so true.

Even nowadays, when I find something belonging to my dad it brings me back to when I was a child and we all lived together. Reid's line is so true: it's not the same to know that your loved ones are no longer out there.

• Love 6

Exactly this. I've bade goodbye to both my parents as well. You become that child you were in those moments. There is no longer that shield between you and your own mortality. Gideon replaced Reid's father, I think, at least to Reid. So although he has better coping mechanisms in place than he might've had Gideon died when Mandy Patinkin left the show, for awhile, Reid was a boy losing his dad.

(Incidentally, I loved Morgan's remarks to Reid at the ME's about not putting up his usual walls... Wonder if KV reads fanfiction... Regardless, Morgan showed real insight into Reid, and I thought it was fantastic. I love their bromance, and I haven't seen it nearly enough for a long time.)

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 6

I have something else to add. Reid is so well-adjusted, given his upbringing and life. People say Gideon was manipulative with Reid, exploiting his gifts. I think he was, to a degree. But I think he loved Reid, and he saw his potential and wanted to cultivate it. Reid was obviously so very starved for a parental figure and for affection that he was just ripe to be taken advantage of, for his intellect and --God forbid -- more. Gideon protected him and kept him safe from that. It was like he saw what Reid's life might become if he didn't step in. I think Reid has (and had) a strength of character that didn't lend itself to becoming a victim for life, but he would've had an even tougher row to hoe had it not been for Gideon. Present-day Reid knows this, I think.

• Love 6

I have something else to add. Reid is so well-adjusted, given his upbringing and life. People say Gideon was manipulative with Reid, exploiting his gifts. I think he was, to a degree. But I think he loved Reid, and he saw his potential and wanted to cultivate it. Reid was obviously so very starved for a parental figure and for affection that he was just ripe to be taken advantage of, for his intellect and --God forbid -- more. Gideon protected him and kept him safe from that. It was like he saw what Reid's life might become if he didn't step in. I think Reid has (and had) a strength of character that didn't lend itself to becoming a victim for life, but he would've had an even tougher row to hoe had it not been for Gideon. Present-day Reid knows this, I think.

Wow.

I never even considered something like that. Thank you for opening my eyes to another side of Gideon and Reid's relationship.

• Love 2

I wish I could remember who said, "There's never a right time, it just becomes your turn."

Your turn. That's the key idea. We all will be there, sooner or later.

But at least for terminal patients there is a right time: as soon as possible.

Still not convinced this is now, but it's "scrummy" whenever the photo was taken!

OK, I just saw a bts photo, and it's really now! He's so beautiful!! 

Edited by normasm
  • Love 3

I just saw a clip from Hero Worship on another site. It's a scene with Reid and Rossi, and Rossi is telling Reid maybe he needs some time off, "in light of recent events."

It's not much to go on, true, but Reid needs time off, even though he was perfectly functional with Gideon's murder and able to contribute to the case, but JJ doesn't, after behaving like a reckless fool while she was off the rails?

I'm kinda sputtering right now.

• Love 3

Maybe because Reid tries to handle things in a more healthy way than JJ does? Maybe he faces things and admits when there is a problem instead of internalizing it and waiting for it to blow up? I can make things up to try to pretend they are not just insulting Reid.

• Love 2

Ha ha. Good one. The newer writers have always seemed to write Reid as more emotionally immature. I mean after all, he is still "the kid" and the man is 33. Whereas we have seen no one talk to JJ about her reckless behavior and suggest she needs some time off. Which she does, along with some industrial strength therapy.

• Love 4

I agree, FA, and preferably (for me, at least) an artist who works with her hands, or maybe a musician, since Spencer likes music. It would be a welcome break for his big ol brain while still requiring feeling and personal growth, eh?

Moving this discussion so we can all find it again.  I would never think to look under 'Hero Worship'.  Or would I?

Reid and romance is a complicated topic.  Here is a man who grew up as a complete outsider, always younger, smarter and more ostracized than anyone else among his so-called peers.  His mother's illness made her displays of affection stilted at best.  He was abandoned by his father, victimized by his crushes, belittled, from time to time, by his teammates.  All of that does something to one's self-esteem,  genius IQ notwithstanding.

For Reid, the very notion that someone could be genuinely interested in him, without any ulterior motive, would be a heady thing.  I think that's probably what drew him to Maeve in the first place.  Not her intelligence------that became a 'plus' after the fact.  But her interest in him, specifically.  Even if it began as a consultation, and then grew.  We've seen evidence that he appreciates a beautiful woman as well as any man might.  But more in the way of an appreciation of fine art, than anything else.  As it did with Maeve, I think appearance would take a back seat to investment.

I do think someone like Reid needs an intelligent mate.  One can't spend a lifetime having to explain everything.  And I think he would be bored with someone who was, virtually, a clone (like Einstein).  Reid's genius desires stimulation by differences, by things that are complementary.  So I like the idea of him hooking up with an artist of some sort.  Not a college professor, or a linguist.  Not even a scientist, like Maeve.  He needs to be drawn out, challenged intellectually and emotionally.  An artist would be the right brain to his left.  I think it would work well.

Watching '500 Days of Summer' in the background as I write this. Wish MGG had the lead.

Edited by JustMyOpinion
  • Love 5

Yeah, JMO, no one's disputing that Reid would need someone intelligent and interested and interesting, but the writers keep thinking he needs a genius, as if he couldn't love anyone with, say, a 186 iQ. I brought up the stimulation of different experiences upthread somewhere as something he would be more interested in in a mate than if she could prove mathematical theorem. If a woman could teach him piano and he could teach her chess, or a woman could paint a lovely picture, something he might not be able to do, but would be entranced by.

I agree he fell for Maeve because she found him interesting and they could talk about things the other hadn't thought about, it wasn't just that she was smart. 

• Love 4

I do think someone like Reid needs an intelligent mate.  One can't spend a lifetime having to explain everything.  And I think he would be bored with someone who was, virtually, a clone (like Einstein).  Reid's genius desires stimulation by differences, by things that are complementary.  So I like the idea of him hooking up with an artist of some sort.  Not a college professor, or a linguist.  Not even a scientist, like Maeve.  He needs to be drawn out, challenged intellectually and emotionally.  An artist would be the right brain to his left.  I think it would work well.

I think also, because of his upbringing, Reid would need someone he could trust implicitly. Trust them and be able to lean on them without fear of scorn. What I see as his insecurity has lessened with the passage of time, but there are occasions where it's still apparent. That trust was betrayed when Emily "died", and that really never got dealt with, although he seems to have put it aside. Although I agree that he would need to be challenged on some level, he would also need to feel emotionally secure with someone.

• Love 8

This was likely taken a few weeks ago when Matthew went to Utah for the weekend. This was taken during his modeling job. It could be an outtake.

I figured it had to be a modeling gig.  His hair is combed, his jacket is new and..... whose soles look so pristine? 

• Love 2

Matthew tweeted a "Throwback Thursday" photo of himself with a black eye, captioning it "from my last fist fight." Does anyone know what that's about? And last fist fight? So he's a brawler? Gosh, it was attractive, though...

• Love 1

I've heard that before and think it's totally bogus. MGG has never claimed that, and if he had beat somebody down for that, i don't think he'd joke about it.

I think occasionally MGG and his buds have Fight Club, or did. This was shortly before he hurt his knee, if i'm not mistaken.

• Love 1

I just mean that he and his boys were probably playing Settlers of Cataan or something and a duel situation came up. See who can hit the other guy in the eye, everyone take a drink! Who knows, it's all speculation.

• Love 1

Look up the IMDB for Fight Club.It was a very clever movie with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton about guys whose lives have meaning when they all meet in a pit and pummel each other.

CM even did a bit of a take on FC with Doug Jones as the weirdo fighter in a club. I can't remember what the name of the ep was.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 2

The black eye was around January 2010 I believe, but he busted his knee at the end of May 2009.

EDIT:

Yes, Matthew first tweeted about getting a black eye on the way to a celebration around 0100 18 January 2010, and the Golden Globes were on 17 January, so at least the dates match up.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1

IIRC, Matthew tweeted that he got into a fist fight on the way to a party. He showed up at the Globes after party to meet Jane Lynch and had the black eye.

He had the black eye in this photo:

FOX%202010%20Golden%20Globes%20Party%20f

Someone on the IMDB claimed he got into a fight AT one of the parties. The story was that some actor they refused to name said the US deserved 9-11 and that Matthew set down his drink and punched the person in the face, then picked up his drink and resumed drinking but then the un-named actor's friend attacked Matthew.

I think its more likely Matthew was playing around with some of his friends and got hit in the eye.

MGG seems too easy-going of a guy to get into fisticuffs. So far, I haven't gotten any major "douchebag" vibes from him. Most likely he was horsing around his friends and got the black eye. No matter what, ouch.

Off-topic: I love Jane's dress.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4

The makeup artist must have had fun covering up that black eye. You can still sort of see that it was there in Mosley Lane if you look very close.

I wonder if Matthew or anyone from the cast/crew will ever spill the beans on what really happened.

Edited by zannej