Type keyword(s) to search

Spencer Reid: Gorgeous Gray Matter

• Start Topic

For anyone who's lurking right now, Sex, Birth, Death just started on A & E, Reid (and his belly button, lol) trying to help Nathan Harris understand what might be wrong with him is effective for me because it speaks to Spencer's issues with his mother's illness. And I have literally just realized that Jessica Tuck played Nathan's mother, which makes me wonder how I missed it before in the *mumble* times I've watched the ep. Also? Shut up, Mel Harris' character.

• Love 4

Weird, and potentially inappropriate, but I still wonder: Spencer Reid, if I am being true to canon, is 32 years old -- is that right? I know Matthew's 34, but I remember reading Reid was born in '82. Anyway! Since the character is bordering on caricature at this point with his lack of experience with women, it's a valid question -- do you think Reid is a virgin? I don't think there is anything wrong with that by a long shot, but I wonder.

Droogie, depending on how much fanfic you read, Spencer has more experience than the show has ever revealed him to have, Fanfic!Reid never talks about the women he's been with, but in a lot of the stories I've read about his pairings, he's quite the adept. You may take that with as much salt as you like, since I find it difficult to believe that, even in canon, he's only had one almost-relationship.

• Love 1

Reid turned 24 in 2005, so that would make his birth year 1981, so you were basically spot on. :)

So right now, he would just have turned 33. I tend to think that he is basically a virgin or he's been celibate for a very long time at least. I mean, there certainly isn't anything in canon that would support him having sexual relationships, and the way he was written with Maeve certainly didn't point the way to him being experienced with relationships or sex. The fanfiction about Reid is often based in fantasy, because the writers want Reid to be sexual, because they want to fuck him, so they write him as their fantasy sex object and not necessarily anything based in canon. While it is possible Reid dated in college, he started college at 13. His grade peers were never his age peers, and he didn't become an adult until he was working on his doctorates, so who knows if or how he would have met anyone to date.

• Love 6

I mean, there certainly isn't anything in canon that would support him having sexual relationships, and the way he was written with Maeve certainly didn't point the way to him being experienced with relationships or sex.

Oh, well sure. But to be if not fair but truthful, we've pretty much established that these writers aren't exactly married to having a firm canon. Why should Reid's possible sex life be any different? Morgan might be the overt horn-dog, but given how weary most of us seem to be of his "flirtatious" banter with Garcia, I prefer the thought of Reid being stealthy about how experienced he is. :-)

• Love 1

I thought one of the writers somewhere confirmed that Reid was a virgin, but maybe I just imagined it. Now, I think one of the writers hinted that maybe there was one woman he'd been with-- back in "52 Pickup" when Morgan said something about Reid only having one name to remember-- but all Reid did was laugh. It's possible that when that one was written they thought he'd been with Lila or someone or maybe Morgan was just joking. But now, it seems like they think he's incapable of being intimate with a woman. The shock expressed by JJ at Reid having a girlfriend pretty much seems to reflect how the writers feel about Reid's sexuality.

I know the promos said Maeve was the only woman he ever loved. So, I guess with the rectonning done by the current writers, Reid is probably a virgin.

As for that article that ForeverAlone linked in the JJ thread, I think whoever wrote that thinks he's a medical doctor. I personally don't like articles like that because they usually are just fluff with very little substance. Mostly they are shallow and often they don't even get their facts straight. They flipped the images of several pictures and it bugs me. LOL. I guess those are designed for an audience other than me, because the whole "this is your dream guy" type thing just does not appeal to me at all. It's way off base. 

I have always thought that Reid is not "cherry" but was deflowered in graduate school. I think of him as a demisexual man, who really has to feel love for the person before he desires them. I really love the concept of demisexuality, because it doesn't put sex at the be-all, end-all, center of life, but when a demisexual person finds their mate, it's satisfying.

• Love 3

I thought one of the writers somewhere confirmed that Reid was a virgin, but maybe I just imagined it. Now, I think one of the writers hinted that maybe there was one woman he'd been with-- back in "52 Pickup" when Morgan said something about Reid only having one name to remember-- but all Reid did was laugh. It's possible that when that one was written they thought he'd been with Lila or someone or maybe Morgan was just joking. But now, it seems like they think he's incapable of being intimate with a woman. The shock expressed by JJ at Reid having a girlfriend pretty much seems to reflect how the writers feel about Reid's sexuality.

And it wasn't just JJ. Hit is on ION right now, and when Reid and Garcia are leaving the con-type thing (without even going in, because Garcia was wibbling about Kevin having shown up with another woman) he points out that she also brought someone else, in response to her griping about how she and Kevin used to go every year. And she says, apparently in all seriousness, "Yeah, but that's different. I came with someone I could never possibly be sexually attracted to." Reid's "You're welcome?" is kind of funny because of the way he says it, but at the same time it annoys me because it contributes to what I think is a preposterous idea, that no right-thinking woman (or man, if that's more to your taste) would find him desirable. It's just another way to infantilize him, by taking away even the potential that he could be a sexual being.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 5

Reid says, "You're welcome?" and it wounds my soul. Not that I want Garcia to find him sexy, but the way she said it was sooooo "who would find this sexy? As if……." Just so un-friend-like. Really, can you imagine having a friend, say, of the opposite sex, and just blurt out that s/he was someone whom you would never find sexually attractive and expect that comment not to at least sting?

• Love 8

Oh yeah, Reid has rarely been portrayed as a man with sexual desires. He certainly isn't viewed that way by his colleagues. Of his coworkers, the most supportive were probably Elle and Alex. I'm blocking out GIdeon and his attempt to set him up with JJ, just because it's pretty clear JJ doesn't view him as a sexual being. The Penelope line in "Hit" really got to me, because it was so casually insulting, and she would never see it that way. He's just an androgynous muppet in her eyes. And yeah, JJ seemed shocked that he could actually have a girlfriend. I loved Alex with him during that storyline, because she was supportive of him, didn't joke or denigrate him, encouraged him on more than occasion, and kept his secret rather than blurting it out disbelievingly in an elevator. I suppose we are supposed to see Reid as unattractive, just like we are supposed to think he is completely out of shape. Basically, we are probably not supposed to view Reid as we look at Matthew, because I think the man is damn beautiful (with his hair cut for me anyway) and he has a rocking, in shape body. 

• Love 7

I loved Alex with him during that storyline, because she was supportive of him, didn't joke or denigrate him, encouraged him on more than occasion, and kept his secret rather than blurting it out disbelievingly in an elevator. 

This

• Love 2

And it wasn't just JJ. Hit is on ION right now, and when Reid and Garcia are leaving the con-type thing (without even going in, because Garcia was wibbling about Kevin having shown up with another woman) he points out that she also brought someone else, in response to her griping about how she and Kevin used to go every year. And she says, apparently in all seriousness, "Yeah, but that's different. I came with someone I could never possibly be sexually attracted to." Reid's "Thank you?" is kind of funny because of the way he says it, but at the same time it annoys me because it contributes to what I think is a preposterous idea, that no right-thinking woman (or man, if that's more to your taste) would find him desirable. It's just another way to infantilize him, by taking away even the potential that he could be a sexual being.

Well I think these characters pretty much reflex EM's view of things. She just can't possible conceive of anyone being sexually attractive to Reid. Meanwhile all of us women are supposedly swooning over Derek Morgan. And if we aren't then it must be because we are gay.

KV actually said onetime in an interview that she realized she was gay because even though she thought Shemar Moore was very attractive she didn't find herself attractive to him in that certain way. For crying out loud. I've always consider myself to be straight,but by Kirsten's standard I too must be gay. 

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

Reid says, "You're welcome?" and it wounds my soul. Not that I want Garcia to find him sexy, but the way she said it was sooooo "who would find this sexy? As if……." Just so un-friend-like. Really, can you imagine having a friend, say, of the opposite sex, and just blurt out that s/he was someone whom you would never find sexually attractive and expect that comment not to at least sting?

I have corrected my post, normasm, and you're right, it really borders on being outright mean that she's so off-handed about it, as if to say, What else do you expect? She couldn't have been any more overt about it if she had given an all-over shudder at the idea.

I loved Alex with him during that storyline, because she was supportive of him, didn't joke or denigrate him, encouraged him on more than occasion, and kept his secret rather than blurting it out disbelievingly in an elevator.

And if you notice, it's Alex who closes her eyes at the end of Zugzwang when Maeve dies. I don't know if that was an acting choice by Jeanne or not, but if it wasn't it means she was crushed for Reid that he was never going to see what might come from having someone to love.

• Love 6

And if you notice, it's Alex who closes her eyes at the end of Zugzwang when Maeve dies. I don't know if that was an acting choice by Jeanne or not, but if it wasn't it means she was crushed for Reid that he was never going to see what might come from having someone to love.

Oh, yes, her face! It was a beautiful thing when Maeve was shot -- broke my heart and I adored her right then bc of her instant sympathy. It was lovely in the next season, where he was talking with her about her conflict over going to Boston with her husband. He knew she would understand where he was coming from. When he said, "I had a taste...," I was undone.

That Maeve episode just wrecked me. I can watch "Revelations" again and again but I saw "Zugzwang" exactly twice and cannot watch it anymore. It was over-the-top cruel to Reid. And then later, when they danced in his dream, you should've just reached into my chest and ripped my still-beating heart right out.

I really need to get a life, stat.

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 3

Reid turned 24 in 2005, so that would make his birth year 1981, so you were basically spot on. :)

So right now, he would just have turned 33. I tend to think that he is basically a virgin or he's been celibate for a very long time at least. I mean, there certainly isn't anything in canon that would support him having sexual relationships, and the way he was written with Maeve certainly didn't point the way to him being experienced with relationships or sex. The fanfiction about Reid is often based in fantasy, because the writers want Reid to be sexual, because they want to fuck him, so they write him as their fantasy sex object and not necessarily anything based in canon. While it is possible Reid dated in college, he started college at 13. His grade peers were never his age peers, and he didn't become an adult until he was working on his doctorates, so who knows if or how he would have met anyone to date.

In my opinion there is absolutely no way that Reid is a virgin. Opinions on attractiveness aside, this is a guy who has had complete independence since he was eighteen. Are we really supposed to believe that before he went to the BAU he was such a social recluse he couldn't form a single relationship with anyone, romantic or otherwise? That Lila was the first person to find him attractive? That she was his first kiss? (It sure didn't look like it). I mean sure, he is introverted and has trouble flirting with the opposite sex, but neither of those things have anything to do with sexual experience.

It’s a writing troupe that happens in so many shows that I find so immature and unbelievable in real life: A character that fits the stereotype of nerd/weird/outcast/quirky/ugly is assumed a virgin until he/she admits otherwise, as if they need to justify their physical appeal to the audience.Virginity is a choice. It’s not a barometer of a person’s sexual attractiveness. I would have no issues with Reid being a virgin if the character was asexual, (he probably wouldn't gawk at passing women, also asexuality is different from celibacy) or had some moral/social ideal with physical intimacy, (which to me doesn't fit the character).

My opinion is biased though. You are right: I would totally fuck Reid…. like any day of the week.

• Love 4

That Maeve episode just wrecked me. I can watch "Revelations" again and again but I saw "Zugzwang" exactly twice and cannot watch it anymore. It was over-the-top cruel to Reid. And then later, when they danced in his dream, you should've just reached into my chest and ripped my still-beating heart right out.

And this is mostly what I'm thinking about when I wonder if the writers don't like Reid. Or maybe they don't like Gubler. They basically set the character up for a fall, giving him some hope that his life might become more complete, then ripped that hope away from him in the cruelest way imaginable. And they haven't really bothered to even put a Band Aid on it, much less actually deal with whether or not he's healed enough emotionally so that he can move on with his life. They've held him in some kind of stasis instead. Has he met someone new? Is he even trying? Rossi kept his eye on Hotch's situation with Beth in the wake of Haley's murder, but we don't know if he's tried to do the same for Reid, and I don't know if that's because the writers think it would be too angsty or because they just don't care enough about Spencer to let him try again. I, OTOH, feel a small plot bunny coming on.

It’s a writing troupe that happens in so many shows that I find so immature and unbelievable in real life: A character that fits the stereotype of nerd/weird/outcast/quirky/ugly is assumed a virgin until he/she admits otherwise, as if they need to justify their physical appeal to the audience.Virginity is a choice. It’s not a barometer of a person’s sexual attractiveness. I would have no issues with Reid being a virgin if the character was asexual, (he probably wouldn't gawk at passing women, also asexuality is different from celibacy) or had some moral/social ideal with physical intimacy, (which to me doesn't fit the character).

Maybe this is mean, but the one character I could believe it of is Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon, like Reid, is very smart, but he's also a narcissistic asshole with all the empathy of a hungry weasel. However awkward/introverted Spencer might be, he is not that. Hell, he's almost too nice, given the way these people talk to him sometimes. The one time he really snapped at someone was at JJ in Proof, and then Hotch and Emily stepped in and basically told him that he wasn't allowed to feel whatever he was feeling and to get over it. I don't resent Aaron and Emily over it the way I do JJ, but I also don't care for the fact that they more or less shamed him for being angry, like he was some sulky kid refusing to eat his Brussel sprouts. It's an insulting way to treat a grown man.

• Love 7

Based on the brief conversation Reid had with Elle in "Plain Sight", he didn't date and he has never asked a woman on a date. The general thrust of the writing seems to want to set up him up as a virgin or a near virgin. He doesn't seem to be able to readily talk to women initially or have any confidence around women. He was so nervous about meeting Maeve and that fear she wouldn't like him doesn't seem like a man with much successful experience dating. I could possibly buy that he is not a virgin, but he really doesn't have much experience in life, and he has been portrayed as being pretty much alone for his most of his adult life.

• Love 5

I think that Reid was very shy and that he had to spend most of his time buried in books or working and that he didn't have time for a social life. Even guys that have had girlfriends sometimes end up being virgins if they didn't have the opportunity or just weren't ready.

I think the biggest indicator in favor of Reid being a virgin is that he has trust issues. He was tricked when he was in high school and laughed at. He said to Morgan that every time he opens up to someone, it gets "thrown back in (his) face". So even if Reid realized a woman found him attractive, he might have been worried that it was a trick or that ultimately he'd be rejected or it would somehow come around to bite him in the ass. Remember how Reid represented Sir Percival? Percival was the chaste knight.

Of course, maybe Reid had a bad experience with sex and felt embarrassed or humiliated afterward. The way he reacts to even discussions of sex tends to make him get flustered-- unless he's discussing something related to criminal behavior. Remember when the madam in "Pleasure Is My Business" said "What did you have in mind, sweety?" when he asked about particular sexual acts and he got all flustered and said he wouldn't even know. That to me suggests inexperience. But who knows, maybe he got it on with Lila and it didn't work out and afterward he just felt like he was very unattractive.

• Love 4

I think that Reid was very shy and that he had to spend most of his time buried in books or working and that he didn't have time for a social life. Even guys that have had girlfriends sometimes end up being virgins if they didn't have the opportunity or just weren't ready.

I think the biggest indicator in favor of Reid being a virgin is that he has trust issues. He was tricked when he was in high school and laughed at. He said to Morgan that every time he opens up to someone, it gets "thrown back in (his) face". So even if Reid realized a woman found him attractive, he might have been worried that it was a trick or that ultimately he'd be rejected or it would somehow come around to bite him in the ass. Remember how Reid represented Sir Percival? Percival was the chaste knight.

Of course, maybe Reid had a bad experience with sex and felt embarrassed or humiliated afterward. The way he reacts to even discussions of sex tends to make him get flustered-- unless he's discussing something related to criminal behavior. Remember when the madam in "Pleasure Is My Business" said "What did you have in mind, sweety?" when he asked about particular sexual acts and he got all flustered and said he wouldn't even know. That to me suggests inexperience. But who knows, maybe he got it on with Lila and it didn't work out and afterward he just felt like he was very unattractive.

Great point about Percival. I didn't catch that.

The rest just makes me sad. His character just reeks of loneliness to me.

• Love 2

I do think Reid spends most of his time alone. Yeah, I am sure the team has occasional get togethers, and sometimes we have seen him socializing in a one on one situation off duty, but I tend to think that when Reid goes home at night, he goes home alone. When he has his weekends free, he is probably doing stuff he likes, but he is probably doing it alone. We really haven't seen him with friends that he spends time with. There were the people he played chess with in the park, but I doubt he ever socialized with them outside of the park. Considering Reid's workload and general personality, I don't think it is easy for him to meet a potential lover. No way in hell can I see him doing online dating. I can't see any of his coworkers making a serious effort to set him up with someone (assuming they even know someone they think he might hit it off with). I could see Reid meeting someone in a place like a coffee shop or a bookstore or a museum, but I think it would take a lot of courage for him to approach a woman. Maybe if he saw the same woman over and over again he would feel comfortable enough to strike up a conversation, but I can't ever see Reid just cold approaching a woman. It would be interesting to see how he would respond to a GENUINE approach from a woman who was potentially interested in him. The way he got to know Maeve was almost ideal for him in that it allowed him to get to know her comfortably and slowly and form an intellectual bond with her first, but that is not a scenario that can be easily replicated. 

• Love 5

I agree with those who think Reid is, and has always been, pretty much of a loner. I can't see him approaching a woman unless she is a 'damsel in distress'.  But I can see a woman approaching him.  (Who could resist?")  FA's suggestion of his meeting someone in a bookstore, or a coffee shop.....or maybe a lecture series, or a film series....all seem realistic to me. 

I really doubt he is sexually experienced.  As has been pointed out, he would have been jail bait for fellow students when he was in high school and college.  He might have come close if approached by an undergrad when he was getting one of his PhDs.  So, maybe.  But it would have to have been her idea.  Also as pointed out, he did tell Elle that he'd never asked anyone on a date. 

Despite the fact that we've already seen a doomed romance, I wouldn't mind seeing a happy one evolve.  I would not like to be presented with a fully developed one (as in Morgan/Savannah---I think the reason I don't care about their relationship is that I didn't get to see it evolve, even in thirty second increments).  And I don't even necessarily need to see it reach fruition.  I would just like to know that Reid has someone in his life who genuinely, deeply cares about him, and he about her. 

But, mostly, I'd like to see a story line of any sort.  I don't even care if he just factors into an episode that is centered on another character.  Let him be a sounding board for Hotch, as he has been in the past.  Let JJ confide her PTSD to him (I know, it's already been said to be Hotch), Let Rossi vent about his ex to someone he thinks is 'safe'.  Anything. 

• Love 7

I agree with those who think Reid is, and has always been, pretty much of a loner. I can't see him approaching a woman unless she is a 'damsel in distress'.  But I can see a woman approaching him.  (Who could resist?")  FA's suggestion of his meeting someone in a bookstore, or a coffee shop.....or maybe a lecture series, or a film series....all seem realistic to me. 

I really doubt he is sexually experienced.  As has been pointed out, he would have been jail bait for fellow students when he was in high school and college.  He might have come close if approached by an undergrad when he was getting one of his PhDs.  So, maybe.  But it would have to have been her idea.  Also as pointed out, he did tell Elle that he'd never asked anyone on a date. 

Despite the fact that we've already seen a doomed romance, I wouldn't mind seeing a happy one evolve.  I would not like to be presented with a fully developed one (as in Morgan/Savannah---I think the reason I don't care about their relationship is that I didn't get to see it evolve, even in thirty second increments).  And I don't even necessarily need to see it reach fruition.  I would just like to know that Reid has someone in his life who genuinely, deeply cares about him, and he about her. 

But, mostly, I'd like to see a story line of any sort.  I don't even care if he just factors into an episode that is centered on another character.  Let him be a sounding board for Hotch, as he has been in the past.  Let JJ confide her PTSD to him (I know, it's already been said to be Hotch), Let Rossi vent about his ex to someone he thinks is 'safe'.  Anything. 

This. All of this.

• Love 1

This is the part that makes it not quite parse that Reid is pretty inexperienced when it comes to dating. I can agree that it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world for him to approach a random woman, even if it was just to make conversation. But that a woman wouldn't approach him? Let's forget his looks for a minute, that when we see Spencer we probably aren't supposed to see Matthew. It isn't realistic to me that every woman would automatically recoil in shock at the suggestion that she could possibly be attracted to him (looking at you, Garcia), even in the alternate universe that CM takes place in. I know Morgan is supposed to be the eye candy and all, but Morgan's tendency towards being an ass would, I would think, cut down on his appeal.

• Love 3

Lots of people don't get approached and lots of people don't date. Reid is probably not supposed to be ugly or anything, but I also don't think he is supposed to be the beautiful model he actually is. He's probably not the type who will initiate social contact, nor necessarily give off the impression he is looking for a date. He seems to be a loner who lives in his own head, and if he is not supposed to be beautiful, he probably doesn't give off the charisma that makes women want to chase him. He is more like the type who needs to get to know someone before he feels comfortable with them, so I bet he doesn't make the best first impression. And even if he does get approached, she would have to be extremely forward for him to realize it most likely. Basically she would have to specifically say that she was asking him for a date, because I don't think Reid would necessarily pick up on subtle signals, because he wouldn't be expecting it. I have seen more than one man who wasn't socially successful in high school completely fail to pick up on signals that women are hitting on them.  And even if he did get approached by a woman, that doesn't necessarily mean he would be interested in her. 

• Love 6

I have a pretty outgoing social life and I have never once been asked out on a date or had the balls to ask a stranger out (seriously how do people do that?). I also can get pretty flustered talking about sex with people I don’t know very well.  Lack of confidence when it comes to casual relationships or sex is a common thing, but doesn't necessarily point to complete sexual inexperience. I think the problem (for me anyway) is that although Reid is characterised as a really awkward person with bad social understandings I've just never seen him as THAT Introverted/shy. To me he is a pretty outgoing guy in his own way. His lack of social cues makes him pretty friendly. He had no issues striking up a conversation with Kate in the elevator. I find it unbelievable he hasn't made any friends at his favourite coffee shop/Indian restaurant, which turned into something more.

In terms of attractiveness I will admit that I was once a heathen who did not find MMG attractive (I have repented......many times), but even then I could objectively admit why others would. You can dress up Reid in all the ill-fitting shirts, greasy hair and cardigans you want, but you’re not going to get past the fact that he’s a young, clean (heh, sorry), good looking, and doesn't live at home. People are going to find him attractive. The circumstances in which he met Maeve would make anyone nervous about their appearance. Connecting with someone on an intellectual level without the factor of looks would make the most confident person worried if they hold up to the fantasy. I didn't think it indicated chastity on his part.

I have never really loved the idea of the writers bringing a character on purely as a love interest, unless of course it is done well (no angst please!). Honestly I’d just be happy for them to show people that actually appreciate Reid’s company outside of the job. Like that Star Trek drinking game? I loved that.

• Love 5

Remember how Reid represented Sir Percival? Percival was the chaste knight.

I agree with nearly everything in this post of yours, zannej, and I remember when he was called Percival, how appropriate I thought it was. But being chaste is not equivalent to virginity. Mary Magdelene was supposedly chaste after meeting Jesus, but she had been very "unchaste" prior. 

I think your point about him being probably humiliated with his first sexual experience left him with a lingering dysmorphic view of his body, and he lacks confidence in approaching women. Women who would find his shy, "type" attractive would probably also have trouble approaching men. (Or, of course, same-sex equivalents on both sides, if that were the case).

• Love 3

And even if he does get approached, she would have to be extremely forward for him to realize it most likely. Basically she would have to specifically say that she was asking him for a date, because I don't think Reid would necessarily pick up on subtle signals, because he wouldn't be expecting it. I have seen more than one man who wasn't socially successful in high school completely fail to pick up on signals that women are hitting on them. And even if he did get approached by a woman, that doesn't necessarily mean he would be interested in her.

This describes my son to a T. He is 18, in college, and he is smart and utterly gorgeous. Unlike Reid, he is quite the social butterfly, but he is completely oblivious to how girls fawn all over him. It's pretty amusing. He is a musician, plus he is very studious, so his head is always somewhere else. He had two girlfriends in high school, and both of them chased him mercilessly until he realized it. I can totally see that in Reid. Edited by Droogie
  • Love 1

While I know that in the real world, someone like Reid could have sealed the deal already, I think in the fictional CM world the writers view Reid so shy, awkward, and even somewhat alien to an extent that they can't seem to fathom him having actually been with a woman already. They write him as if he's a child sometimes and do not seem to appreciate that he matured. They retconned him to be less mature and experienced. Around season 4, I'd say Reid was not a virgin. Nowadays, I think the writers think he is.

• Love 3

Because this show is no longer entertaining me, I have to make my own fun.

I want to know where Reid goes when he vanishes at the mid-way point of most episodes.

Is he being chronically abducted by aliens?

Visiting the local sex workers?

Working a second (and third, and forth) job on the sly?

Browsing the local coffee shops, book stores, etc. because he knows the case will be solved by Garcia's computer in a few minutes anyhow?

Just ONCE I want Hotch, the supposed team leader, to look up at the 3/4 point and ask where the heck Reid is.

And if your team can function perfectly well with one to three members being completely absent for no particular reason, well, I'd say it's time to downsize.

• Love 10

I thought it was a well known fact that he's been tessering.  He has no time to appear in new shows.  He's too busy revisiting the past, playing his much heftier role in the reruns.

• Love 4

Maybe he needs more fiber in his diet and he's disappearing to the bathroom. I think I already posted a pic awhile back of the team all there except Reid and they are asking where he is and realizing he's still in the bathroom and they forgot him.

The funny thing is, just about every time they actually show him going in to the bathroom, someone either comes in to talk to him or starts calling him. Like in "Fear & Loathing"  you hear Hotch shouting "Reid? Has anyone seen Reid?" or when Reid was in the bathroom and Morgan came to check on him.

Just once I would find it hilarious if Matthew wasn't available as much and they said Reid was having some stomach problems and was in the bathroom.

• Love 3
I thought it was a well known fact that he's been tessering.  He has no time to appear in new shows.  He's too busy revisiting the past, playing his much heftier role in the reruns.

It's been ages and ages since I've read A Wrinkle In Time, but the idea of Reid doing the Kyle Reese thing has me smiling. Only this time, with happier results for Reid-as-Kyle.

• Love 2

Reid a virgin? I think I could go triple or nothing on my bottom dollar that he is...since when has Hollywood ever portrayed a “geek” differently. I do, however, like to think that once he is with a girl he'd know right away what to do...because he's the team's “expert in everything” after all. :p

• Love 4

Yeah, and Garcia herself isn't every man's cup of tea, either. You'd think she'd be more sensitive than that. Where's the Garcia that felt real compassion for Reid when she first learned of his mother's schizophrenia in The Fisher King or when he contracted anthrax in Amplification and asked her to record a message for his mother? But I'm not blaming the character. I'm blaming the writers. This is lazy, insensitive writing to garner a cheap laugh. It just proves that they don't understand the characters and can't come up with anything better. It's like a comedian resorting to swearing to get a laugh instead of having really humorous material.

• Love 3

Cuteness personified: according to MGG's  twitter he will be marrying Paget and her fiancé.

https://twitter.com/GUBLERNATION/status/538411359226974208

That. Is. Adorable.

Reid a virgin? I think I could go triple or nothing on my bottom dollar that he is...since when has Hollywood ever portrayed a “geek” differently. I do, however, like to think that once he is with a girl he'd know right away what to do...because he's the team's “expert in everything” after all. :p

Back on TWOP, someone who is not me floated the idea of a fanfic where Strauss calls an oblivious Reid into her office and suggests that very thing. Something about how geniuses do it smartly. ;-)

• Love 1

So, this is somewhat related because Matthew was in a movie with Aubrey Plaza (Life After Beth). Jane Lynch was tagged to voice Grumpy Cat in the Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever movie, but she ended up declining and Aubrey got the part. It aired 3 times in a row (and I don't normally like Christmas movies, but this one was hilarious). I caught the tail end of the first airing and watched the other two. The movie did not take itself seriously at all, and even explained why there were plot twists that didn't make sense (because the movie would be too short and they wanted more ad revenue). They also talked about wanting a sequel a few times. I think if they do a sequel that it would be cool if they got Matthew in it either as a character or as a voice for one of the animals. 

I wish I could figure out why Reid was only in the last episode for less than 5 minutes though. That is just ridiculous. Its almost as if they are punishing him for not wanting to rehash the drug story. I find it interesting that they do the stories Joe wants and let him get his daughter's song in. They do stories AJ wants with her character. They do stuff Kirsten wants. But when Matthew says he wants a happy story for Reid and a girlfriend that doesn't die, there is no sign of that happening. Either because they don't want to make time for it, or they can't imagine a happy story for him. I don't know.. Maybe he's just not forceful enough with his suggestions because he feels it isn't his business to suggest stories.

• Love 1

I hate to say this but I feel the Reid fandom is partly to blame for the way the character has been treated. We all know this show pays close attention to social media.Now Matthew has more twitter followers than any other cast members.And AJ has the least amount of twitter followers, even Joe has more than she does.

And yet her fans seem to be the most vocal on twitter when it comes to demanding things for her which is why I believe she ended up getting her stupid PTSD episode.

Meanwhile not only have these so called Reid fans on twitter remained silent regarding his treatment, I've seen them gang up on other Reid fans who dared to complain. They somehow felt the need to remind these Reid fan that this was an ensemble cast and that the other characters needed a turn or some bull crap similar to it.

And yet JJ fans could get on twitter and carry on and on about the her stupid PTSD episode. And I don't remember a single person getting on to them about it. I can't tell you how badly I wanted someone to get on twitter and tell them "OMG! STFU ALREADY!" and then go onto remind them that she had already gotten tons and tons of focus and that it was some of the other characters turn now.

I will say this I am heartened by the fact that at least on Facebook more people have started to complain about the lack of Reid. All I can say is it's about damn time.But I also wonder if it might be a case of too little, too late.

• Love 2

MMC, all due respect, but no amount of fan influence one way or another would be able to sway the show running and writing to the point of sending a seminal original character to TV Siberia. It is EM and TPTB at CBS who are responsible for the Wobbly Scarecrow this show has become.

And zannej, IMO at this point, if they tried to "write a story for Reid" it would completely tank the show. I think when he refused to do the drug story, MGG was finally standing up to them. If it gets him put in the corner for the rest of the season, I hope CM's not renewed, because I'm sure they'll force him to stay as they did with Paget, because they could. Jerks.

• Love 5

MMC, all due respect, but no amount of fan influence one way or another would be able to sway the show running and writing to the point of sending a seminal original character to TV Siberia. It is EM and TPTB at CBS who are responsible for the Wobbly Scarecrow this show has become.

So are you saying than it was just a case of Erica either lying or simply going back on her word when she said '200' was a closed chapter and there'd be no fall out from it rather than the fact the tweetyboopers kept demanding it. I suppose where EM is concerned, whether she outright lied or simply went back on her word, I could easily buy either scenario. 

• Love 3