Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Arrow placed in the Daily Top Five of Nielsen Twitter ratings again, behind Empire (which did spectacularly well on Twitter last night, even beating out NBA basketball, college football, and hockey), American Horror Story: Hotel, and Are You the One?,  but beating out Survivor and at least one hockey game.

But it wasn't all good news, since every single measurement dropped:

"Haunted" (episode 405)

Unique audience (000): 624

Impressions (000): 2646
Unique authors (000): 13
Tweets (000): 66

"Lost Souls" (episode 406):

Unique audience (000): 546
Impressions (000): 2002
Unique authors (000): 10
Tweets (000): 49

"Brotherhood" (episode 407):

Unique audience (000): 434
Impressions (000): 1790
Unique authors (000): 8
Tweets (000): 32

I admit, I'm a bit surprised, largely because the Twitter measurements have tended to follow big twists - Oliver falling off a cliff, Quentin revealed to be working with Darhk, that sort of thing.  Last week's episode really didn't have any - the "Ray is alive!" reveal was not only revealed back in March, but revealed within the show during the previous episode. This week's episode had at least two - Andy is alive and Thea's bloodlust can be controlled if she touches Damien, like, lots, icky as that thought is.  Maybe people on Twitter are tired of typing "HE'S ALIVE! SHE'S ALIVE! HE'S ALIVE!"

Or decided to tweet about Frankenstein instead. 

• Love 1

I don't pay much attention to ratings anymore.  Even the crappiest crap of Arrow crap seems to do fine ratings-wise, so I guess that the show must have a pretty loyal audience at this point.  But I think you can tell what the showrunners believe is popular by watching how they treat their characters.  My guess is that if you're often front and center in the episode, have plenty of screen time, have multiple narrative roles and quality storylines, the EPs and/or network are invested in your character because they know the audience is invested in your character.  If you don't have those things, well,             ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 16

Aw, yay for Diggle! That's great news. Aside from all the Bam Bam hype, at least they promoted this episode properly.

Well minus the Andy is alive reveal in the promos. I think that really took something out of the surprise. Personally, I could have told you in Aug, that he wasn't dead. But it was something to reveal that to the audience the week before. Perhaps social media would have been a little more invested or surprised. It's one thing to know something is gonna happen, it's another thing when they tell you before the episode that you're right. It gives a week for that excitement to wear off, so it kills all the buzz. But overall at least the promo was about who the episode was about.

I also wonder if the BamBam hype had been a little tamer or BamBam had kept his tweets less offensive over the weekend, if I would not have kept my expectations lower and appreciated the episode more. Instead they hyped a big filet dinner and delivered frozen Salisbury steak.

The persistent trend in the ratings indicate that it's Laurel/Oliver that's a show killer, not really Laurel on her own.

Episodes promoted as Laurel-centric or Laurel focused also tend to see a drop in ratings/total viewers drop. She does have one or two bright spots, particularly "Midnight City" last year and her Flash crossover episode, which did well, but the anti-Laurel trend was still around for "Canaries" (Feburary's low point) and "Al Sah-him" (the second lowest viewers of the season, higher only than "Sara," with Laurel heavily featured in promo material), though in the case of the second episode I'm willing to say that the drop there had more to do with Oliver joining the LoA.  

"Al Sah-him" also fits in with the weak Oliver/Felicity trend, where ratings/viewers go up after episodes suggesting that Oliver/Felicity will get together/stay together, and drop after episodes that break them up, and with an even weaker trend that "Olicity" episodes tend to do well ("The Calm," "The Fallen,") if not always because of Olicity ("The Climb," which followed last season's major crossover episode),  and certainly with exceptions ("Lost Souls.") It can also sometimes be difficult to tell ("The Climb," where Oliver said "I love you," suggesting that Oliver/Felicity would get together, and then immediately fell off a cliff, a relationship killer for people more emotionally balanced than Oliver Queen.)

But although "Lost Souls" may not have been awesome as far as Olicity episodes are concerned, it did fit in with the anti-Oliver/Laurel trend and the pro-Oliver/Felicity trend:

Haunted, 2.60 viewers. Laurel and Oliver jump into a hell dimension together holding hands, and afterwards, agree to restart their friendship, and hug, hinting, for the first time in several episodes, that Oliver and Laurel might get back together.  Felicity finds out that Ray is returning, suggesting that Oliver and Felicity might split up.  Total viewers drop to 2.30 - a 12% drop.

Lost Souls, 2.30 viewers. Laurel and Oliver barely interact; Felicity tells Oliver that they're going to be fine, and Ray shows more interest in bugs than in getting back together with Felicity. Total viewers jump to 2.69, the season high, better than many episodes from seasons 2 and 3.

Now to see if the pro-Barry Allen trend helps out Arrow next week. in two weeks.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 6

Yep, thanks. I went and double checked, was going to post the same.

Flash 108 - 1.6

Flash 208 - 1.4

Arrow 308 - 1.4 (series high)

Arrow 408 - 1.3 (tied with the pilot)

Arrow 309 - 1.1

Also there was over run last night. Sadly I don't see SPN keeping that 0.9, it's possible that Arrow could adjust up in the finals and actually tie Flash. That would be something.

The crossover was always going to do well.  I think 4.09 will be fine, too.  I can't say the same about 4.11 and on.  I am out until the breakup, which I will watch only to point and cackle at Oliver's tears.  (Not a spoiler, just totally obviously going to happen.)  After I enjoy his tears I'm out again, except MAYBE for The Calculator, bc. Tom Amandes is going to be great.

Edited by AyChihuahua

Daily Twitter rankings for the week:

For Flash 208:

Unique audience (000): 763
Impressions (000): 3515 
Unique authors (000): 16
Tweets (000): 66

Flash lost out to The Voice, but beat out Scream Queens, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and Agents of SHIELD. (Also anyone who might have been hate tweeting Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.)  Notably, everyone, including The Voice, completely lost out here to two NBA games and a college basketball game.

Arrow, 408

Unique audience (000): 828
Impressions (000): 3294
Unique authors (000): 16
Tweets (000): 59

It seems that although about the same number of people were tweeting both Arrow and Flash, more celebrities and/or people with relatively large Twitter followings tweeted Flash, plus, the authors just had more things to say about Flash.

Arrow lost to Empire (as always), CMT Artists of the Year, and American Horror Story: Hotel, but beat out Christmas in Rockefeller Center. Once again, every show except Empire was completely beaten in the Twitter ratings by college basketball and football (soccer) games. 

The single most consistent trend on Arrow: viewers love Barry Allen, bringing us the highs for seasons 2 and 3, and the current high for season 4.

In related news, expect more appearances from Barry Allen. 

• Love 7

Which is perfectly fine with me. Barry is about the only character I don't mind crossing over to Arrow on a regular basis as Barry/Oliver and Grant/Stephen have had perfect chemistry so far. Oliver has better fighting chemistry with Barry than with most of his own team.

• Love 16

Which is perfectly fine with me. Barry is about the only character I don't mind crossing over to Arrow on a regular basis as Barry/Oliver and Grant/Stephen have had perfect chemistry so far. Oliver has better fighting chemistry with Barry than with most of his own team.

I was thinking last night how much I wish we could do a superhero-for-superhero swap with The Flash. They take Laurel and we take Barry. Sounds fair to me!

• Love 4