Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: The Mutilation Of The Master Manipulator

WendyCR72

When the Jeffersonian team investigates the remains of a college psychology professor, the victim's controversial social experiments on his grad students garners a list of highly motivated suspects. Meanwhile, Booth is sidelined with online traffic school, causing Brennan to team up with Aubrey, and Wendell struggles with his feelings towards a chemotherapy treatment nurse.

I was expecting Bones to point out that the dead guy's experiment was "not in any way original," that it was just "an unnecessary replication of Milgram Obedience Experiment" and "probably illegal" and "at the very least in violation of his academic institution's code of moral ethics for experiments, which would explain why he was conducting it at his home." Maybe they cut that out for time?

Wendel's initial interaction with the nurse was sweet and romantic, but seemed to quickly go into stalker/bunny boiler territory. No?

• Love 3

Booth and Bones have become brotherly/sisterly.  Not a kiss, love you, hug, arm around each other, nothing.  Showing them sitting on a couch in their weirdo house is not romantic. 

I like Aubrey. 

Wendall's plot started out cute but then he came an ass and she became a stalker.  By the end I wanted them to run far, far, far away from each other.   That said, I wish they'd just make Wendall the full-time intern.  The rotating squint thing is so annoying and he and Clark are the only tolerable ones.

Episode was pretty zzzzzzzzzzz.......

Edited by Mama No Life
  • Love 1

I was expecting Bones to point out that the dead guy's experiment was "not in any way original," that it was just "an unnecessary replication of Milgram Obedience Experiment" and "probably illegal" and "at the very least in violation of his academic institution's code of moral ethics for experiments, which would explain why he was conducting it at his home." Maybe they cut that out for time?

Exactly!

And even if the experiment were legal, why would the students think the university would actually allow them to kill or even injure someone?  They would surely know it was all fake.

I like Aubrey too.  He was a little generic/bland at first but he is developing quite a likeable personality.

How many times on crime shows is a death accidental, the result of a fight where the perp might be charged with manslaughter at most.  But they don't call the police - they decide it would be better to cover it up, cut the body into little pieces or dump it in a hole and cover it with lye and just act like it never happened. It never works out.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

So here's what I don't get... after Hodgin's experiment, he exlaims that the guy died 8 days 14 hours ago.  So that cat was stuck in a cupboard for 8 1/2 days?  I would think it would have been a pretty dead cat by then.  (Not to mention that the cat could have easily opened that cupboard door and jumped out.)  Did miss something?

• Love 1

The cat must have had some way in and out of the garage to catch and eat the bird Bones found in his stomach.  So I figured the cat was just hiding in the cabinet.  We've got a cat who gets in the cabinets and manages to close the door behind him; he's a crafty beast.

I feel like Emily and David must hate each other. That's the only reason I can fathom why they don't actually partner any more and have minimal scenes in the same vicinity.

I commented to my husband that the FBI uses some pretty cheesy software for testing and it was so unbelievable but he said that the pharmacy programs his company uses are on the same level. But still. So bad.

I like the first set of rotating interns (sniffle, RIP Mr. Nigel Murray) but I do not like Opie, the Cuban guy, the intelligent obnoxious dickhead and Raj's girlfriend from Big Bang Theory. See, I can't even remember their names.

Emily's hair distresses me. She is younger than I am by about two years but that hair makes her look so old. The episodes on TNT right now are just before the sniper got Nigel Murray and her hair looked the best it ever did with the warm brown color, the shiny straightness and the bangs.

Aubrey is nice enough. It's funny how in this episode especially I said they could really use a psychologist, but the show didn't even have one for the first couple of seasons and I didn't miss one then. Sweets was so integral by the end.

• Love 1

I love it from an aesthetics point of view, but it doesn't look comfortable at all.  They are sitting in a different area every time and none of them look right.  Their kitchen/living room looked so cozy in the old house...I miss it.

Finally watched this episode. My first take away is that new guy was given a lot of screen time so that we could bond with him. I think the show runners would have been wiser (at least for me) to choose an actor of with a physical type far removed from Sweets. Because of the similar body types, it just keeps reminding me sweets is gone and would have been better. Not fair to me or the actor.

This experiment would never pass an ethics committee today. 'Course this is the Millgram experiment which was done in the '60's - so why would a tenured prof be replicating it? Or is this an alternative universe where the authoritarian experiments of the 60's and 70's were never done and ethics standards never tightened? This distracted me so much I couldn't get into the episode at all.

• Love 1

Wendel's initial interaction with the nurse was sweet and romantic, but seemed to quickly go into stalker/bunny boiler territory. No?

This, so ,much! 

I felt like I missed a story line with the nurse and Wendell otherwise it looked like they got to know each other while he was in treatment, had a date and a quickie.

Then she turned in to that girl who wants everything right away and looks at the guy like he's the evil one if he doesn't. To make her even worse, she doesn't even acknowledge that Wendell has been through a lot and even though he's in remission he lost someone he knew, and still must need to process feelings about what he, himself went through.

• Love 2

Yes. I was beginning to think she was the killer. When they showed a small picture of his former grad student, I fully expected her to have gone on to be a cancer nurse.

Wendell has been through a lot and even though he's in remission he lost someone he knew, and still must need to process feelings about what he, himself went through.

Yes, step back lady. And understand why there are ethics rules against dating patients.

BTW What did Wendell say when she asked him he'd ever  had a nooner before because didn't he have one (or more) with Angela?