Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Hibbing 911

• Start Topic

This is a good episode and I can see that, but...I wasn't feeling it tonight. Donna was driving me a little bit nuts. She was laying it on pretty thick for a while there in the beginning, and it felt like there was a lot of cooing and squealing and baby talk -- although to be fair, that's probably just my headache talking. (Oh, and I mean, the headache was brought on by a low pressure system, not by Donna!).

I did like all the twists and turns of the investigation, and Lem was actually a pretty interesting character. There were also a lot of small touches that were pretty cool, like how Jody gave the hippie girl some lunch money as she was going into the convention, and then pretty much as soon as she got in, she saw Donna giving up her lunch vouchers to her ex. I even liked that they chose to make a vampire teenage girl the main villain, seeing as this was a Jody episode (and that is pretty reminiscent of Alex).

My favorite scenes were:  Sam and Dean mingling at the Sheriff convention (which you would think would be really stressful, because they've got to be all over the Most Wanted list!), and the big climactic scene that ended with Donna slicing up the hippie chick. I'm still up in the air about the last scene, when Donna and Jody's conversation is intercut with Sam and Dean's. That wasn't a bad scene, but I couldn't really understand what the writers were going for by intercutting those conversations, because they didn't really seem to have anything to do with each other.

Anyway! I dunno, I just don't really connect with Donna like some do. Her investigation skills are pretty top notch, which is fun to watch. And she can be a breath of fresh air, since she's not like the rest of the macho doom'n'gloom-ers that populate this show. And she feels pretty three-dimensional. But eh. Much as I WANT to like Donna, I can't quite get there.

• Love 1

Jodi-O! Love that.

And another bright spot for the first half of S10! Loved it even more this time around. Still hoping to see Deputy Kathleen lurking in the background though. ;)

On 9/25/2016 at 1:20 AM, rue721 said:

Anyway! I dunno, I just don't really connect with Donna like some do. Her investigation skills are pretty top notch, which is fun to watch. And she can be a breath of fresh air, since she's not like the rest of the macho doom'n'gloom-ers that populate this show. And she feels pretty three-dimensional. But eh. Much as I WANT to like Donna, I can't quite get there.

Oh, I can see why she would grate on most folks because when I first moved to northern Minnesota there were a few Donnas who grated on me. But after 10 years they've grown on me. Once I realized Minnesota "nice" was a brilliant disguise, that is. I just realized that's probably why I didn't see Donna as a victim. She's Minnesotan, nice just doesn't mean what it appears to mean on the surface.

On 9/25/2016 at 1:20 AM, rue721 said:

I'm still up in the air about the last scene, when Donna and Jody's conversation is intercut with Sam and Dean's. That wasn't a bad scene, but I couldn't really understand what the writers were going for by intercutting those conversations, because they didn't really seem to have anything to do with each other.

I think it's the idea that both Dean and Donna were struggling but trying to put on brave faces while Sam and Jodi-O were both saying they were there to help if needed. I dunno.

On 9/11/2016 at 7:52 PM, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Silence is Golden.  But duct tape is Silver.  

Duct tape fixes everything.  

Hee! I just started laughing so hard. You reminded me of The Red Green Show. If you haven't watched it, you really should. ;)

• Love 2

I really love that Donna gave Jody a lollipop. Poor Jody. They never tell her anything. "No, Sam, she smokes grass under the bleachers, but at least she's not luring men to their deaths." - I heart this line so much. I'm really glad they were able to get Jody and Donna to meet. "Why do I hear firecrackers?!" Hee. The Kinko's line! This ep has some great lines. "You call this a big one? Hope you drive a Porsche?" I love Jody sticking up for Donna. Her ex was a douche. I feel emotionally manipulated by the flashback's to Jody's dead husband, but in fairness I forget about him most of the time, so the reminder isn't too much. Miss the longer hair though. Love Donna immediately trusting Jody with the existence of monsters. I want a lockpick gun. "What the cuss?!" "Stuff you, Dean!" Donna makes me want to try the fake cussing more. She pulls it off well. She's probably the only person who can look absolutely adorable covered in blood after decapitating a vampire. 

On 11/10/2016 at 10:06 AM, DittyDotDot said:

And another bright spot for the first half of S10! Loved it even more this time around. Still hoping to see Deputy Kathleen lurking in the background though. ;)

Not one reference about what went down the last time they were in Hibbing. What a waste.

I thought it was fun seeing Jody and Donna work together, and now Donna is woke to the existence of monsters.

I didn't understand why vamps would suddenly eat a body's flesh.  I thought they just sucked the blood.  

Just now, Hanahope said:

I didn't understand why vamps would suddenly eat a body's flesh.  I thought they just sucked the blood.  

Oh, but these were sustainable vampires who used or re-purposed the whole kill...waste not, want not, ya know? ;)

On 12/5/2014 at 8:22 PM, mizkat said:

4) Doug wouldn't have noticed Dean and Donna even if Dean gave her a lapdance in the middle of a donut shop. He's got, like, three brain cells and two of them don't work.  

HELP ME why did you say that. now i won't be able to delete that from my mind for the rest of the week.

----

so happy to see jody. always happy to see jody. sam joking comfortably with her made me smile. and donna came back into the show which is SUCH a delight, she didn't really interact with dean as much since he and sam appeared in the last third of the show. i know the show isn't even afraid of killing the MCS but lord please don't touch these precious souls. heed my prayer dear jesus!

Oh man did I love this one. I love Jody so much and her relationship with the boys. She is such a great character. And she wins extra points for calling Donna's ex a douche. Dude was the true monster in Donna's first episode. Eaten by vampires is too good of a fate. I also loved the reaction to the mansplaining gun vendor. 

I complained in Girls, Girls, Girls about the portrayal of women by this show, so I have to give props here. Two well-developed women defined by more than their relationships with men actually did some real work. It was great.

Donna's  character was really great as well. I liked her in her first episode, and I liked how they kept her nice and competent.

The guys had some really great moments that kept them from being overtaken by the guest characters. I loved the kinko's exchange, of course, [snip]. But I also loved that 1. They continue to communicate, and 2. Sam didn't lose it at Dean. I think there is some real (and I wish permanent) growth in the relationship represented over the last two episodes.

The vampires that use everything (really, cause I saw some leftover pieces) were a bit forgettable, but I liked the twist that neither the sheriff nor the deputy killed the victim. 

Edited by The Companion
Inadvertent spoiler from the next episode