Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: Nicole Kidman, Julie Walters, Hugh Bonneville, Take That

• Start Topic

Graham is joined by three familiar faces from the large and small screen - Oscar-winning Hollywood actress Nicole Kidman, Bafta-winning British favorite Julie Walters and Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville - who are all co-starring with a little bear from Darkest Peru in comedy movie Paddington. There's also music by Take That, now a three-piece, performing their new single These Days.

Kidman was awfully uptight during the show. I know she's shy, but she's done tons of press before. Even if it's her first time with Graham, she couldn't have asked Walters or Bonneville what the deal was?

The more I see Hugh Bonneville on Graham's show, the more I love him. And Julie Walters is always a treat, though I had a hard time hearing what she was saying. I ended up using CC. The sound mix with the audience was too loud.

Take That's performance made me cringe. I had flashbacks to Cliff Richard. Eesh.

• Love 2

I couldn't care less about Take That. Are they really that popular? Anyway, I tried to be interested in what they were saying during their interview portion, but I just couldn't.

I didn't think Kidman was uptight. She seemed nervous, but I thought she did fine. I was wishing, however, that she didn't talk over other people so much.

I think I have to see that Blowdry movie. I need to see if it's on Netflix or Amazon.

Blowdry is awesome.

I'm usually inclined to give a guest the benefit of the doubt, but when somebody says "I love learning, I do it all the time" and then proceeds to be noticeably dull on a sofa full of charmers, well, I suspect at least some level of Shenanigans. In my experience, learned folk -- even those that are shy -- can carry their weight in small talk.  I dunno, maybe it's more to do with her insecurities than her smarts, but whichev: ugh.

The gap in Walters's blouse kept annoying me. Go up a size or skip the blazer, Julie! Seriously, this is why I never wear button-downs with jackets. It's pullovers or bust! (heh)

I am Paddington ignorant, but that clip with the bear speaking bear made me smile. And think of Stephen Colbert.

I had flashbacks to Cliff Richard.

No freaking kidding.

• Love 1

I continue to admire the aplomb with which Graham can take the piss out of people's career missteps, like all the shade he was throwing at the now-trio. He never comes off as mean, and yet he successfully pops some ego-balloons. A gift I wish I had.

• Love 6

It truly is a gift.  When U2 were on, they were complaining about something trivial, an American TV host would have asked how they got through something like that.  Graham responded snarkily "Who has it worse than U2?!"  It was so funny.  No one was laughing more than U2.

• Love 5

It truly is a gift.  When U2 were on, they were complaining about something trivial, an American TV host would have asked how they got through something like that.  Graham responded snarkily "Who has it worse than U2?!"  It was so funny.  No one was laughing more than U2.

Saying this as an American of Irish descent, who lived in Ireland for many of her formative years: it helps that Norton and U2 are all Irish.

• Love 2

I couldn't care less about Take That. Are they really that popular?

They were in Britain, but never made much of a splash in the US.  The first member to leave/get pushed out of the group, Robbie Williams, is more well-known here, though still not the big deal he is in Britain.

I haven't finished watching the entire episode but have to say I was laughing so hard last night watching this on my PVR I almost stopped breathing.  Graham and his broken chair, the "sexy" scene with Hugh and Julie - hilarious and the picture of Hugh in Blowdry, now I want to see it too.