Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Last Action Hero

WendyCR72

When the star of Castle’s favorite ‘80’s action movie is mysteriously murdered, Castle and Beckett delve into the victim’s secret past and pursue his killer with help from a team of aging action heroes.

I'll stick to putting these up a bit early (when available) since we have seen what happens - or doesn't! - if I attempt to wait 'til closer to air date!

• Love 3

So, there it is. The end of Beckett's apartment. I'll miss it, but it does make sense that she move into the loft for real, now that she and Castle are married. I like that they gave Beckett a reason for waiting so long to move in with Castle ... even if it's mostly just a retcon. I appreciated it, at least. It was like they put some thought into "hey ... why is this still this way?" and then tried to fix it.

Beckett's got guys in DC! They haven't forgotten that she had a job change for a hot minute.

Can Castle always wear a sleeveless shirt? Thanks. Although, I keep cracking up at the idea of The Indestructables just modifying the blue button up he was already wearing and then trying the extra sleeve material around his head and then him just putting back on his blazer to get back to work with Beckett.

And the way Castle geeked out over being asked to drinks with The Indestructables was really cute.

Also, I laughed every time they made reference to The Indestructables and how thinly they were supposed to be The Expendables. I thought they did a good job with those references, though.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

This was a huge upgrade from last week's snoozefest. Nathan particularly was way more energized which always helps, I paid more attention to the case this time. Castle got a bit silly occasionally overdoing the fan adoration of his tough guy movie idols but thankfully it wasn't as dumb as the promo and sneak peek made out.  The cast seemed awake and Castle and Beckett looked like they were in a relationship (which was not the case last week) with the kisses, looks and banter.

Death by jewellery, should have known it was Krista Allen. Heh.

As for the Bad Santa promo can't say it did much for me but then I'm not into Christmas episodes or stories about the mob either.

The apartment is finally history. Hallelujah! About bloody time, it was ridiculous that they hadn't dealt with it. So that's one permanent set gone only two left.

Cousin Sophia joins Aunt Theresa as yet another Beckett relative we almost certainly never see.

Is this the first time he's said "my wife" since they got hitched? Must be.

Edited by verdana

I liked this more than I thought I would, and much more than last week.  It had a lot of cute moments.

Beckett's got guys in DC! They haven't forgotten that she had a job change for a hot minute.

She also mentioned an FBI seminar.  I'm impressed with the continuity.  Who wrote this episode?

And the way Castle geeked out over being asked to drinks with The Indestructables was really cute.

I loved the scene where he was telling Beckett about that.  His, "you are my boyhood dream" was so sweet.

• Love 1

Espo and Castle trade off each week on who can wear the most horrible jacket. This week Espo wins hands down. And whilst we're on the fashion front what was Beckett wearing? That black, satiny long shirt with some kind of pattern on kept distracting me. Luke is dressing Gates well though, I've noticed how good she's been looking recently so I'll give him credit for that. 

Tory has had way more screen time than Martha or Alexis this season I'm convinced of it, why? What is she bringing to this show in terms of character development? I wish we could see more of Castle and Beckett interacting with his family than having her pop up to give me dry, boring exposition each week.

FBI mention from Beckett with talk of that seminar.

LT shout out!

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Ted McGinley!  I didn't recognize him at first but it was awesome when I did.  He was a lot of fun.

This episode was a lot of fun and a great takeoff on The Expendables.  Love the heist they made Castle take part it.

• Love 1

I thought Seamus was funnier than Castle this week with his lines, "she's an archaeologist again?" "man she is really....holding up well" "when? On her way to jail?" Laughed at Seamus trying out his action catch phrases with the deep voice and him ratting Castle out to Kate over the poster.  

"We’re starting to think alike" Where did that come from? Has Roum not watched any earlier episodes? Obviously Castle's memory has been worse affected than I first thought. That was the only thing that seemed a bit off, this is now my favourite episode of hers the others have always had something that's blighted them but not this time.

Had to laugh at them whispering under the table, I thought loudly enough for the guy to hear them. 

Nathan in bare arms is always good, although my preferred choice for him on the show would be a v necked tee. 

Edited by verdana
What is she bringing to this show in terms of character development?

She doesn't bring anything in terms of character development, she brings things in terms of  procedural stuff.  That always trumps character development on this show.  If they took her away they would just need to give the exposition to someone else at the precinct.  Maybe part of the reason they brought her in was to lessen the burden on the other actors in those scenes.  I think it's nice to have more people solving the case and not just their bubble of 3 detectives and a writer.

I would certainly not mind if we got less precinct and more family/relationship stuff, but that's not what we are going to get from Castle at this point.

• Love 1

Tamala must have been shocked to open her script and find out she had more to do for the second week in a row. Steady on writers.  I miss Kate and Lanie's S1/2 friendship so it's nice to see them like this having a girly drink commiserating over the flat however brief but at least it was there.

Espo appreciating the redhead which I would expect from him yet are they still going to sell me that his heart belongs to Lanie and there's a milestone moment for this couple coming next week?  Neither of them seem that in love to me. I don't believe in their relationship whatever its meant to be. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I loved the scene where he was telling Beckett about that.  His, "you are my boyhood dream" was so sweet.

See, my first thought was that it was kinda dirty. But then I though it was sweet too, and I liked it even more.

• Love 1

The episode was definitely less boring than last week's, but I still find Christine Roum's episodes fairly mediocre as a whole.  The theme was more fun than I'd expected.  Mystified why movies with old action stars banding together keep getting sequels, but that must mean there's an audience for them.  Maybe I'll have to check one The Expendables sometime to see if it's less eye roll inducing than I imagine.  It could be compellingly cheesy for all I know.  

Some nice physical comedy from Nathan with the whole Rambo! (Rico Cruz) Castle heist sequence, from the walking out in front of an explosion (why an explosion? not thinking about it too closely heh) to the way he moved inside the club.  It was different from his equally funny slinking around the precinct in TTOOL episode. Also laughed at the "I don't know what to wear!" scene and his exit there.  There was a Luke joke in there somewhere ;), but luckily, the eventual sleeveless headband combo was pretty fun for a change even if there wasn't any real reason for him to be dressed like that.  I think I prefer Nathan in a headband to being in a hat heh.  Maybe it's the hair?

I wish Beckett had seen Castle in his Rambo! getup though, with some sexy banter to follow.  Part of the fun would have been to see Beckett react.  Shouldn't have missed out on that.  And potential for more sexytimes cosplay heh.  They really have an abundance of costumes to choose from by now!  And between Nebula 9, Temptation Lane, The Notebook, Hard Kill, butt numbing reality TV etc., I'd love a fun scene of them fighting over the remote or just commenting on absurd TV they're watching together.

The Beckett apartment farewell story was an overdue one that needed to be told but I thought the way it was written was pretty weak.  I'd preferred it if Beckett had actually communicated her feelings to Castle to make him understand and he/they could have done something to help make the farewell and the change easier, before she had a touching farewell alone to her apartment.  Something that signified more about the change from not only who Beckett was before to who she is now, but reflective of the change from the single life to becoming part of a unit. I'd like it better if Beckett had told Castle her feelings rather than keeping it to herself (or if he'd read her mind but he can't do that every time) because isn't that what married couples should do? As they did it, the scene with Lanie felt all too cursory and superficial (as most of the girlfriends scenes feel these days, maybe because Lanie's just there to service Beckett?), and I wasn't moved by the final farewell because they'd hardly set up for it well.

They've done the Beckett and Castle (and Ryan) being a fan several times already now.  While it's fun to see them get excited (and usually teased), hope they can think of new experiences to get the characters (and the audience) excited too.  They've also done the thinking of a catchphrase thing too before, with Castle.

Not particularly excited about next week's promo.  Esplanie's probably going to get more attention than Caskett.  Not a fan of Castle looking at scantily clad women (again) and Beckett rolling her eyes (again).  Not really a fan of scantily clad women on Castle. ;)  No idea about whatever cliffhanger but I'm not going to be a fan of an out of nowhere mythology scene in a parking garage like they did before.

I'd rather ISIS not be mentioned on a show like Castle. ;)

Pet peeve: every time I see them pouring coffee out of the pot, I wonder why are they drinking that instead of using the restaurant grade espresso machine?!

I wish we'd get a scene of Caskett going to a date at a cinema or something like that.  I mean, if there's going to be a body drop near a cinema. Though I guess that cinema entrance was an insert.

Did I miss something or did Lanie not mention 'lividity' at the scene this week?  Shocking.  And has Beckett yet to refer to Castle as 'her husband'?

Edited by madmaverick

I'm having a senior's moment but before this episode did we actually know Beckett had Italian blood in her? Because when she talked about the pan in the teaser she said her nonna. Plus it makes sense with Johanna, Theresa, Sophia.. j/k.

The three scenes in the apartment were good because they were all so different in terms of how different people would say goodbye with it. Castle seeing the bad things, which also makes sense considering the amount of fights they had in that damn place, while Lanie hit the nail on the head perfectly and the final scene rounded it up. It actually for me was a good mirror scene to the one in Murder He Wrote at the Hamptons. In that one we had apprehension of going an area of Castle's life, etc and after the conversation with Lanie when she says goodbye it was that in reverse. Finally accepting that yes it was time to say goodbye to it.

Edited by Nadine
I'd rather ISIS not be mentioned on a show like Castle. ;)

I caught that and didn't like it either, they need to stay with fun and fluff where they're more at home.

The Beckett apartment farewell story was an overdue one that needed to be told but I thought the way it was written was pretty weak.  I'd preferred it if Beckett had actually communicated her feelings to Castle to make him understand and he/they could have done something to help make the farewell and the change easier, before she had a touching farewell alone to her apartment.  Something that signified more about the change from not only who Beckett was before to who she is now, but reflective of the change from the single life to becoming part of a unit. I'd like it better if Beckett had told Castle her feelings rather than keeping it to herself (or if he'd read her mind but he can't do that every time) because isn't that what married couples should do? As they did it, the scene with Lanie felt all too cursory and superficial (as most of the girlfriends scenes feel these days, maybe because Lanie's just there to service Beckett?), and I wasn't moved by the final farewell because they'd hardly set up for it well.

I was convinced they were setting it up for them to have a closing scene where he turns up at the apartment to find her where she would open up about her feelings. It would have been a nice moment to explore than what we ended up getting but isn't that always the way of it now on this show?  Where they have an opportunity to have some meaningful character interaction between them they try their best to skirt around it or deal with it with some brief superficial exchange. As for the Lanie/Beckett dynamic that is never going to change by the looks of it, Lanie is there to give out stock pearls of wisdom or seriously crappy advice to Beckett depending on the plot. 

Although I didn't mind her talking to Lanie rather than Castle on this occasion because I sense she didn't want to make a huge deal out of it. She has been living with him for ages and only fleetingly spending time there and prior to that she had another place. Her life is with Castle now in the loft. I hope we get to see more signs of her various possessions appearing there next week! 

However I hope this isn't going to be the start of Kate telling Lanie things and not Castle if they have deeper issues between them. There's no more excuses for keeping things from Castle now they're married and fully committed to each other. The writers need to avoid the temptation of having Kate withdraw into herself or talk to other people as a means of creating possible drama between them in the future. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

However I hope this isn't going to be the start of Kate telling Lanie things and not Castle if they have deeper issues between them. There's no more excuses for keeping things from Castle now they're married and fully committed to each other. The writers need to avoid the temptation of having Kate withdraw into herself or talk to other people as a means of creating possible drama between them in the future. 

With TPTB I wouldn't put it past them. But it is good to finally have some K/L scenes since they were severely lacking for a few seasons.

Heh.  Headband and rip sleeves there too.  Bad Castle Elvis flashbacks as well.

Castle @Castle_ABC  

You never look at the explosion #Castle! What's wrong with you?!

I guess they had the explosion in the episode just for the heck of it and the iconic shot of them walking away as cool guys, Castle excepted with a look back heh.  And finally they had other actors alongside Nathan who were taller than him!

As for the Lanie/Beckett dynamic that is never going to change by the looks of it, Lanie is there to give out stock pearls of wisdom or seriously crappy advice to Beckett depending on the plot.

You nailed it.  Thankless friend role.  Of course better writing would mean trying to generate more depth in the relationship or switch up the dynamics a bit.  There's comfort in familiarity but I also feel the writers rarely stray from the same old character dynamics.  Very little evolution even after 7 seasons.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

I totally forgot that Kathleen York was gonna be on this ep. I'm glad her and Ted McGinley weren't the killer. Ted does make the perfect aging 80s action star even though he'll alway be Jefferson D'Arcy from Married with Children to me. I did love how excited Castle was when he met Brock, invited for drinks, and his own action movie mission. I was aww at Beckett being his boyhood dream then loling as he ran out acting like a teenage girl getting asked on a date by the boy she likes. Tho he was so crushed when he found out Lance's background was a lie.

Ryan did crack me up with his catchphrase while Espo rolled his eyes every time. Espo is a lot less annoying when he's just with Ryan.

Tamala must be thrilled that she got to have girl time with Beckett. I think Probable Cause was the last time that they showed us them drinking together in that apt. So the apt will get to stay in her family with probably never be seen cousin Sophia.

I did love Beckett's 1st work outfit with the blue button up shirt. It reminded me of a CJ Cregg outfit. Wtf was Espo's plaid jacket or Brock's shirt at the precinct.

Can Castle always wear a sleeveless shirt? Thanks. Although, I keep cracking up at the idea of The Indestructables just modifying the blue button up he was already wearing and then trying the extra sleeve material around his head and then him just putting back on his blazer to get back to work with Beckett.

You know I think that's what happened. His shirt does looked like the sleeves were ripped off the seams and why would he or Brock have a sleeveless shirt that fits him on them. It also looks like the same blue button up from when he tells Beckett about the drink invite. I think they might've picked him up at the loft but he didn't change when he got home.

Stana_Katic: “@jhaigler18: @Stana_Katic any chance we will see her apartment again via Kate's cousin?” Sadly, no

Now that the apt is gone I vote for a master bathroom to get built. It would be nice to see Castle the romantic surprise Beckett with a candlelight bubble bath with her favorite wine and book.

Edited by turnitwayup

I would love to see Castle and Beckett have romantic bathroom time together.  In any bathroom. ;)

Let's also mourn Beckett's bathroom set that will forever remain mystical.  Built but never seen.

I was aww at Beckett being his boyhood dream then loling as he ran out acting like a teenage girl getting asked on a date by the boy she likes. Tho he was so crushed when he found out Lance's background was a lie.

He really did seem like a teenage girl lol.  Probably the vibe he was going for.  At least Castle knows to be sweet and say that Beckett was his boyhood dream, and leave unsaid that redheaded, scantily clad archaeologists also featured heh.  Hm.. is that another reason he was attracted to Meredith?

I didn't realise Bird York, the singer, acted as well.  Enjoy her music.

Edited by madmaverick

I totally forgot that Kathleen York was gonna be on this ep. I'm glad her and Ted McGinley weren't the killer. Ted does make the perfect aging 80s action star even though he'll alway be Jefferson D'Arcy from Married with Children to me. I did love how excited Castle was when he met Brock, invited for drinks, and his own action movie mission. I was aww at Beckett being his boyhood dream then loling as he ran out acting like a teenage girl getting asked on a date by the boy she likes. Tho he was so crushed when he found out Lance's background was a lie.

Now that the apt is gone I vote for a master bathroom to get built. It would be nice to see Castle the romantic surprise Beckett with a candlelight bubble bath with her favorite wine and book.

Count me in on being a fan of York's - blame TWW there. Also loved that Hanning said he worked with Ted back during Hope and Faith days. Second the bathroom thing. Only room we really haven't seen in the loft except for Martha's bedroom.

Edited by Nadine
  • Love 1

Castle_ABC: #Castle's got his serious face on, but inside he's screaming like a teen at a boy band concert! #Castle STARTS NOW!

LOL at least the promo people know he was acting like a teenage girl.

Let's also mourn Beckett's bathroom set that will forever remain mystical.  Built but never seen.

What a waste of money to build a set never to be seen. Come on Creasey's write a bathroom scene. At least that one won't get blown up.

Stana Katic: “@jayway728: Beckett's apartment site...will be missed! #Castle Crew @Stana_Katic @jayway728 :) pic.twitter.com/bWXzV8hGn2” LOL!!

Heh the crew says goodbye.

I notice Robert Duncan is really into changing the credit music this season. Isn't tonight's ep the 3rd one.

Edited by turnitwayup

People haven't mentioned the Hard To Kill/Steven Segal references. Segal actually claimed to have connections with the CIA, hence the CNIA references. And the red-headed ex-wife was definitely supposed to be Kelly LeBrock. Really the background of the murder victim read as a Segal mini biopic.

For me this episode was (jump the) shark week. I hated Castle's superficial "oh dear, silly for you to keep that when we have All-Clad" comment. What a snob. What about Beckett and her favorite possessions? Castle was channeling Martha's least likable traits all the way to tossing that scarf around his neck. I was also not a fan of fan-girrly Castle. The word "over-acted" comes to mind. And the supposed sentimentality of leaving the apartment? The apartment was yet another underdeveloped "character" that the powers that be haven't made me care about. Yep I expected to see Castle at the end suggesting keeping it as a get away. It would have helped matters somewhat. But instead they "killed off" the apartment.... shrug.

The COTW was kind of amusing. And I liked Beckett's non-verbal appreciation of Castle a few times at the murderboard. But on the whole, this episode left me a bit cold.

Edited by TVWithPity
I hated Castle's superficial "oh dear, silly for you to keep that when we have All-Clad" comment. What a snob. What about Beckett and her favorite possessions?

Castle is possibly particular about his kitchenware, but I thought he made a reasonable comment (especially for a guy) about the pan when he knew they had a set at home.  Note that he quickly said he understood when Beckett explained the sentimental value involved.  I think Castle really has been quite understanding about Beckett and her favourite possessions considering he removed one of his favourite possessions, Linus the Lioness, also of longstanding important sentimental value to him, from his/their bedroom for her sake. 

Everyone has had somewhat snobbish moments, but I'd say that Castle's been most frequently mocked by Beckett & the boys for his love of certain pop culture, including 80s action flicks in this episode, trashy reality TV etc. in the past.  Beckett's almost always presented as the "sophisticated" one these days, like with her love of "real actors" in this episode.  I miss the days when both were presented as having both highbrow and lowbrow tastes, and could exchange snappy, intelligent repartee on those topics.  Now it's mostly Castle being interested in something that Beckett finds mock-worthy, and thankfully, occasionally adorable. 

What was the reason? I missed it.

I didn't catch the reason either.

Watching it again I don't buy into the idea that the apartment had some strong emotional hold on her as the "best apartment ever". I never felt that came over during the course of the time she was living there. Whilst I can understand that some places you mourn when it's time to leave the problem with buying into her sudden deep nostalgia and sense of loss this episode is that Castle and Beckett never, ever spoke in all this time about it as a couple and why she was choosing to hang on to it.  I can't rationalise that, it makes no sense given they were getting married and this such an obvious issue they didn't tackle during their endless wedding planning.

May be they discussed it off screen but it doesn't feel that way based on Castle's blasé clueless reaction (and how Kate turned to Lanie for a spot of comfort) that the conversation did happen like some might assume.  Castle then is made to look a bit douchey in a way for not homing in on her pain and remaining oblivious and that feels contrived although I note he did ask her if she was okay at the crime scene briefly and she said yeah. 

But it's gone and Katic has confirmed we will never see it again (including the mythical bathroom I so longed to see...) for those of us who have been wishing that Marlowe would deal with it this is good news but once again it feels like the writers are being reactive to events and keep getting caught on the back foot all the time. 

And I can't blame Rick for his feelings, in fact I expected much stronger ones because how many horrible fights did they have there? Too many for my liking. It almost became a joke that if there was a scene taking place in her apartment during a finale then the relationship was in serious trouble. No wonder he was pleased to be saying goodbye to the place. 

Edited by verdana

I would love to see Castle and Beckett have romantic bathroom time together.  In any bathroom. ;)

Somehow I think this will remain in fanfic territory sadly. 

He really did seem like a teenage girl lol.  Probably the vibe he was going for.  At least Castle knows to be sweet and say that Beckett was his boyhood dream, and leave unsaid that redheaded, scantily clad archaeologists also featured heh.  Hm.. is that another reason he was attracted to Meredith?

I cheered when Castle said he should keep his mouth shut when he got back from the raid and was bring quizzed by Beckett. I wish he had observed that trait with her before when talking about women he thinks are hot be them on TV or actual dates. May be he (or the writers) are learning.

Espo is a lot less annoying when he's just with Ryan.

This so much, I enjoy Espo in small doses and being in the background playing off Ryan is where he's best suited to be. 

And I can't blame Rick for his feelings, in fact I expected much stronger ones because how many horrible fights did they have there? Too many for my liking. It almost became a joke that if there was a scene taking place in her apartment during a finale then the relationship was in serious trouble. No wonder he was pleased to be saying goodbye to the place. 

I mentioned the fight thing above. That's why I think he played it off as the neighbour but if we actually got a conversation it'd be more to remove the bad memories (since we saw on screen more bad than good in that place when it came to them).

The only reason I saw they gave for giving up the apartment was for her cousin to move in.

Edited by Nadine

Finally they addressed the apartment issue. Sadly a season too late and I don't know they kinda missed a point here. Nice seeing Kate and Lanie bond over it but I would've liked a scene where she opens up to Castle about it. Would it had killed them to have him there with her at the end for moral support and showing his understanding at the end ? Opportunity missed like always. I couldn't really get into the whole thing since well like I said a season too late and no investment on Castle's part. Maybe he is glad they finally ended that chapter since most of their big fights have happened there.

Funny how after they have told us Beckett didn't have anyone but her father after her mother got killed, a lot of family pops up now.

Castle did indeed fan-boy a bit too much. I mean seriously? Famous himself who had the mayor on speed dial and hang with the cool kids ? In earlier seasons they had a cuter way of showing him being all : yay !

I enjoyed it more than last week's ep and by the way didn't they kinda try to sell us the "Espo is serious about life and marriage and kids - preferable with Lanie - now" ? Those two are why the fast forward button was invented.

I would have loved a conversation between Beckett and Castle about what the apartment means to her, to them.  Touched on some of the good and the bad milestones, for Beckett personally, and for their relationship.  And some reassurance at the end about how the loft, or whatever future space they choose to inhabit, will become just as significant for her.  They should never pass on an opportunity to show Castle (or Beckett) being supporting and understanding and insightful with each other as that just strengthens the onscreen relationship, so Castle should have been more involved.  They just didn't devote enough screentime and weight to make the apartment farewell storyline as powerful as it could have been.  Other shows have done this sort of storyline better.

It would have been more fun if Castle had said he wasn't a fan of the apartment because Mr. Neighbour heard everything they did in their bedroom through the thin walls/creaky bed heh.

Edited by madmaverick

I would have loved a conversation between Beckett and Castle about what the apartment means to her, to them.  Touched on some of the good and the bad milestones, for Beckett personally, and for their relationship.  And some reassurance at the end about how the loft, or whatever future space they choose to inhabit, will become just as significant for her.  They should never pass on an opportunity to show Castle (or Beckett) being supporting and understanding and insightful with each other as that just strengthens the onscreen relationship, so Castle should have been more involved.  They just didn't devote enough screentime and weight to make the apartment farewell storyline as powerful as it could have been.  Other shows have done this sort of storyline better.

It would have been more fun if Castle had said he wasn't a fan of the apartment because Mr. Neighbour heard everything they did in their bedroom through the thin walls/creaky bed heh.

That's the thing which actually worked with Dressed to Kill and Veritas (the deleted scene). Because in those two moments they were in Beckett's apartment or something significant had happened which led to her being there and then they talked. Yet in this one, we got the see you at home comment which reminded me of her going to her apartment in DtK before returning to the loft and talking to Castle.

Those two are why the fast forward button was invented.

Heh this for so many of us. I can't get remotely excited about their teased milestone moment next week. 

But I can get wary when they lean too heavily on Castle’s “fanboy” tendencies, if only because it can cross the line into “manchild” territory — which runs contrary to his standing as a mature, esteemed author.

I though Matt (above) said it rather well about them needing to take care in overdoing the fanboy tendencies with Castle. He made a comment I note later on in an exchange with a fan who brought this up about how Beckett's reactions are critical to how this kind of behaviour get received and he's right about that too and also how they could have tweaked certain reactions to make it less irksome.

I enjoyed this. But yes, it was more Castle being all excited and silly, while Beckett acts more like his mommy who indulges him. At least at the end she agreed to watch the movie.

I prefer to see the more mature, sophisticated, witty, Castle of old when I feel all I'm getting is the 9 year old on a sugar rush and nothing of the 40 plus year old with the depth that the character used to have it becomes a problem. Unfortunately silly slapstick tends to be their default option and Castle is the sole conduit of that kind of humor which can wear very thin if they overdo it.

Heh but I would find it difficult to believe the neighbour ever got bothered by this, given how little sign I see that they indulge in breaking the bed style passion. If it does happen it seems to be at the loft they got amorous, after all they need to be interrupted. The neighbour probably had a very peaceful time there aside from hearing the odd shouting match between them.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2
But I can get wary when they lean too heavily on Castle’s “fanboy” tendencies, if only because it can cross the line into “manchild” territory — which runs contrary to his standing as a mature, esteemed author.

Well noted by Matt.  Not sure the writers read any of our comments here, but I think they do read his. (Hence, Tory? ;))  Let's hope they take note.  I too miss the smart, sexy guy who could go toe to toe with Beckett, keep her on her toes and jokingly mess with her as well.  These days it seems like we see the mature man during the dramatic episodes or when Beckett is vulnerable, but in the lighthearted episodes, the only way they write Castle is fanboy manchild mode to keep the laughs coming (mostly at him than with him).  I'd rather the laughs come from smart, witty banter between 2 intelligent and equal individuals.

And yep, Beckett's reactions to the man child side of Castle are key, though whether she finds it endearing or annoying, they should be careful not to make her too motherly or nagging of him.  Kills off the sexy vibe. ;)

• Love 1

Honestly, I can't believe this version of Castle is supposed to be the same Castle we met in the beginning - the sexy, witty (not childish and inane) Castle.  I can't see being attracted to this Castle in the least - he is cringe-worthy and I love NF.  

Sad stuff, for me.

And yep, Beckett's reactions to the man child side of Castle are key, though whether she finds it endearing or annoying, they should be careful not to make her too motherly or nagging of him.  Kills off the sexy vibe. ;)

Nothing worse, a total turn off and it's so easy to tip over into that dynamic if they're not very careful, especially now they're married and she's established as the firm Alpha in this relationship and he's the one mostly kidding around. I can see them going for "guy in trouble with the wife again!" jokes which never do much for me because they're so cliched and end up making both characters look unattractive. 

Oh, and when Castle said they were BEGINNING to think alike, I was like "WHUH?" I guess maybe that's why they don't have these two building theory together any more. So the show can forget they used to finish each other's sentences and have this crazy mind-meld.

A big WTF for me too, and only fairly recently in 7.03 they had been doing all of that so why have him say this to her like it's something new they've started?  It's been going on for years and everyone knows it. 

Edited by verdana

I miss the days when both were presented as having both highbrow and lowbrow tastes, and could exchange snappy, intelligent repartee on those topics. Now it's mostly Castle being interested in something that Beckett finds mock-worthy, and thankfully, occasionally adorable.

I feel like we've seen plenty of Beckett liking lowbrow things (and occassionally getting mocked for it), so I don't think we need to be reminded of that again and again. It would be nice to see Castle acting more cultured once in awhile though. In terms of tastes and general maturity.

The other thing is, and it's done on shows all of the time, is where one partner does not pick up on the facial expressions/tone of voice of the other person.

He did notice something was wrong though, he asked her if she was okay on the way to the crime scene.

Whilst I can understand that some places you mourn when it's time to leave the problem with buying into her sudden deep nostalgia and sense of loss this episode is that Castle and Beckett never, ever spoke in all this time about it as a couple and why she was choosing to hang on to it. I can't rationalise that, it makes no sense given they were getting married and this such an obvious issue they didn't tackle during their endless wedding planning.

I agree they should have addressed this onscreen ages ago, but I don't think it's crazy that Beckett would have wanted to hold onto the apartment until they were married (even if she rarely stayed there). Some people do wait until marriage to officially live together. I am sure they did have some logistical conversation off screen at some point, I just don't know why they didn't do it on screen. Especially to explain why she didn't give it up when she went to DC.

I don't think they were saying that the apartment has some strong emotional hold on her though. The nostalgia is something that came up when they were packing up and she was getting rid of it. I think that's normal and don't know why they'd need a deep discussion about it.

Funny how after they have told us Beckett didn't have anyone but her father after her mother got killed, a lot of family pops up now.

I don't think they'd ever said Beckett had absolutely no extended family, did they? Having an aunt/cousin doesn't mean they are close. We didn't see anyone else at the wedding.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 3

Mystified why movies with old action stars banding together keep getting sequels, but that must mean there's an audience for them.  - mad maverick
Umm- The Baby Boom is between 68 and 49 years old. (1946-1965).  Stallone is a first year Boomer.

And, although the advertisers don't seem to realize it, we have money.

Hmm. I noticed that the ads on CTV during this episode ran heavily to expensive perfumes. Maybe the adverisers do like our demographic.

before this episode did we actually know Beckett had Italian blood in her?
I don’t think it has ever been mentioned. But get into third generation and all that’s left is what you call your grandmother and a killer recipe for cannelloni.

I keep cracking up at the idea of The Indestructables just modifying the blue button up he was already wearing
Did CTV cut a scene or is this just how you figured it out? I was wondering where the sleeveless shirt came from. Enjoying it as a charter member of the Nathan Fillion Bicep Appreciation Society. (Is this a Pinterest Group yet?)

Somehow I think this will remain in fanfic territory sadly.  - verdana
Is that a challenge?

I was frankly terrified when I heard that Ted McGinley had been cast. I seem to remember an interview where he mourned that he killed every TV series he had ever done, usually called in during the last season. 

Beckett's apartment pictures, I like this set which shows her bathroom as well all pretty in pink. 

I know some feel as if this apartment has been a character in it's own right but it never came over that way, the loft on the hand definitely fits that description. If they ever got rid of that it really would be a huge deal.

Great work by the Castle Art Department as usual to put Beckett's stamp on things with Stana's help. 

Edited by verdana

Oh, and when Castle said they were BEGINNING to think alike, I was like "WHUH?" I guess maybe that's why they don't have these two building theory together any more. So the show can forget they used to finish each other's sentences and have this crazy mind-meld.

Finishing each other's sentence is not the same as thinking alike imo though. 

• Love 4

Whist looking at the pretty pictures on tumblr of Kate's apartment, I noted a few comments on the Lanie and Kate situation and whether it was good or bad that she didn't seem to want to talk to Castle and instead brushed him off. It was a mixed bag of opinions but I did smile at one comment asking will Lanie and Kate ever have a conversation that passes the Bechdel test?  With these writers I doubt it. Some fans have gone a bit overboard on the demise of her place though, it was hardly "the saddest thing that's ever happened on the show" as one blogger described it. I can think of sadder things than watching her leave those particular bricks and mortar behind to start a new, exciting, promising phase of her life with the man she loves and sharing his life with that of his supportive family. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

For me this episode was (jump the) shark week. I hated Castle's superficial "oh dear, silly for you to keep that when we have All-Clad" comment. What a snob. What about Beckett and her favorite possessions?

It was ... a pan. It's not like he's trying to get her to give up her artwork or her mom's book her grandma's china or something else with obvious sentimental value.

I didn't see that as a dig at their professional capacity to be on the same page. I saw that as a personal capacity to like the same stuff. Kind of how they say that spouses start to dress alike, or look similar. It was her idea to watch a mindless, 80s action movie ... where all episode long that was his thing.

CTV cut a scene or is this just how you figured it out? I was wondering where the sleeveless shirt came from. Enjoying it as a charter member of the Nathan Fillion Bicep Appreciation Society. (Is this a Pinterest Group yet?)

I don't imagine CTV cut anything - there wasn't anything in the US broadcast version that confirms or shows that they modified his shirt. That's just speculation because it looks like the same shirt he had on when he left the precinct and the same shirt he has on when he brings Beckett the recording (and we never see him without his jacket after the heist). And I just think that idea is hilarious.

• Love 1
It was a mixed bag of opinions but I did smile at one comment asking will Lanie and Kate ever have a conversation that passes the Bechdel test?  With these writers I doubt it.

I'd settle for a conversation about Lanie/Esposito. Not that I care about Lanie and Esposito, I'm just curious what kind of advice Beckett would give.  But Beckett is the lead and Lanie is there to help tell her story. 

I didn't think it was a big deal that she didn't tell Castle, because it really didn't seem like a big deal to Beckett.  She was a little annoyed at his comment but decided she didn't really mind.  I'm not married, but if I was I don't expect that I'd tell my husband every thought that went through my mind.  I don't tell other people in my life every time they say something a little annoying.

Some fans have gone a bit overboard on the demise of her place though, it was hardly "the saddest thing that's ever happened on the show" as one blogger described it.

Sadder than a main character dying? I hope some of these overdramatic reactions are from younger viewers.  Kate was smiling when she left the place at the end, obviously looking forward to her new life with Castle.

. That's just speculation because it looks like the same shirt he had on when he left the precinct

What amused me is that he ran out of the precinct talking about what to wear and showed up in the exact outfit he was already wearing.  And again after, even though it should have been pretty late at night at that point.  I think the custom department is trying to save money by keeping people in fewer outfits per episode.  How else can he keep Beckett in all her coats?

But he said something kind of insensitive, and the tone of her voice and the look on her face should have tipped him off to it then.

Well right after that she got the call from work and that distracted them.  I'm guessing if they were still in the apartment packing he'd have noticed too, possibly even sooner.

• Love 1

Castle: Last Action Hero – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review by Lee Lofland who like others recognized Ted McGinely. 

By the way, it was hard for me to not see McGinely (above left) in his former role as Jefferson D’Arcy on Married With Children. I kept expecting him to call Castle, Al. In fact, the entire scene seemed like the type of adventure Al Bundy and Jefferson would undertake to get away with visiting their beloved Jiggle Room, the “nudie bar,” without upsetting Peg and Marcy. So that was a bit of a distraction, but still fun.

As for Castle not being a cop he would be considered an agent of the police according to Lee at this stage so the same rules apply to him as they do to the cops. Therefore the evidence he retrieved during the raid of Booth's club could not have been used in court. 

Edited by verdana

Well right after that she got the call from work and that distracted them. I'm guessing if they were still in the apartment packing he'd have noticed too, possibly even sooner.

Castle did notice that something was off with Beckett. When they were walking to the crime scene he asked if Beckett was okay, and she brushed it with a "I'm fine."

ETA, I just noticed KaveDweller said the same thing. My mistake for not reading more closely.

I really thought Castle was going to show up at the end. I was pleasantly surprised he didn't. I think it was good for Beckett to close that chapter in her life by herself. I was sad to see her apartment go only because I thought it was a gorgeous apartment and wish we could have seen more of it.

Next week's episode better show some of Beckett's things scattered throughout the loft's decor to show that it's their loft now and not just Castle's.

Edited by moodyblue
  • Love 3

Finishing each other's sentence is not the same as thinking alike imo though. 

Agreed. Finishing each other's sentences means coming to the same conclusion, but Castle gets there via a creative journey heavy on the imagination and abstract possibilities/intuition, and Beckett through logic and calculation. I've always thought they complemented each other as opposed to thinking or being alike. The cliché about hearing hoof beats suits them: Beckett thinks it's a horse and Castle imagines it may very well be a zebra, but they might both conclude that the killer used it to get away. Not sure I've explained it very well, but I understood Beckett's pretend horror at the possibility that they're starting to think alike. I thought it was a nice moment.

• Love 3

So the episode was okay. Not terrible, but nothing spectacular. Though it was much better compared to last week's snooze fest. I did have a great appreciation for Nathan's biceps as I suspected I would. ;) 

The apartment B-story fell flat to me. Maybe because it, like a lot of things, felt too little too late. Her process of giving it up wasn’t set up enough in previous episodes since they got engaged for me to get all emotional at her goodbye to it. The viewers also saw it so little lately. Aside from the nagging question of why she still had it, I kinda forget it existed? Eh. My first reaction was “Finally.” lol

And much like Esplanie, I can't get terribly excited about Beckett & Lanie's relationship anymore. It's one of those things that hasn't been developed well enough for me to believe they're anywhere close to BFFs. And I had really hoped for a Perlmutter appearance. Crossing my fingers for next week.

I laughed that not only did I guess Krista Allen was the killer, but they made her the killer for a (IMO) cliche soap opera-y reason. Felt a fitting tribute to her DOOL past. ;) I also kept waiting for them to give her a sword. And I guess it was someone else’s role to be in the tight black leather this time. lol 

Edited by S55
Hmmm..I didn't mean that she should tell him. More like he didn't pick up on it. I'm one of those people who likes little character moments like that.

Oh, I know you didn't say that, but the not telling him was also mentioned upthread.

The thing about emphasizing the "manchild" aspect of Castle without balancing it with sexy-adult Castle is that it comes close to making Beckett more of a Parental Unit than a romantic partner, unless she's sharing the feeling of childish glee, and I imagine that's harder to pull off, given Beckett's nature and past.

The one thing a liked about the final farewell to the apartment moment was visual -- after she carved her initials, she used her left hand to wipe away the debris, so that the wedding ring was part of what caressed the symbol of her past.

• Love 5

I don't think Nonna was much of a cook--did anyone else notice that Nonna's frying pan still had the paper label stuck in the bottom of it?

Ha, I did notice something stuck to the bottom. A props department "oops" I suppose. lol