Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Man in the Killer Suit

HalcyonDays

And well enough to be able to identify him after he's disguised himself, and died.  That kinda ridiculousness I'm willing to overlook, that and the fact that they didn't identify the guy some other way first.

I will say that one thing that counterbalanced that was the characterization of Abe as a swine when it comes to women.  

Seems to be the pattern for the show--neat character moments in the midst of shabbily written mystery plots.

• Love 1

What was the point of the guy dying his hair to try and disguise himself?  He looked exactly the same, but with different coloured hair.  Supposedly he was a natural blonde (something that per Lucas most women would kill to have) but he dyed his hair dark brown.  In the flashbacks, he looked like a guy with naturally brown hair who had a bad blonde dye job.  When he was on the autopsy table, the hair on his leg was just as dark brown as the supposedly dyed dark brown hair on his head.  They should have just done away with the dyed hair bit.

If the girl was so enamoured of marrying into the British aristocracy, and if the father was so keen on the idea of his daughter marrying a British aristocrat, wouldn't at least one of them have googled the guy to see what his family was like?  Their family seat was supposedly this huge castle in Devonshire.  Wouldn't one of them have googled the place and seen that it was not occupied by the Cavendish family?

• Love 1

If the girl was so enamoured of marrying into the British aristocracy, and if the father was so keen on the idea of his daughter marrying a British aristocrat, wouldn't at least one of them have googled the guy to see what his family was like?  Their family seat was supposedly this huge castle in Devonshire.  Wouldn't one of them have googled the place and seen that it was not occupied by the Cavendish family?

Or, you know, demanded to visit said castle. If it was (greedy) me and I was dating a rich Viscount, I'd be like "Darling, could we please visit England and especially your childhood home. I would love to visit your ancestral home. Pretty please??" I mean, if he's rich, he should be whisking her around the world, shouldn't he?

I was unfortunately raised on Barbara Cartland 'novels'.  Tried to keep my own daughters away from them due to the destructive messages they send, but I still walked away with a fascination of how the English aristocracy lived and lusted.  Still can't pronounce "Viscount".

• Love 1

I was unfortunately raised on Barbara Cartland 'novels'.  Tried to keep my own daughters away from them due to the destructive messages they send, but I still walked away with a fascination of how the English aristocracy lived and lusted.  Still can't pronounce "Viscount".

I think it's just that it isn't pronounced how it's spelled. The actual pronunciation doesn't seem that hard if you actually remember to not depend on sounding it out--its memorization here or nothing.

Frankly, it's probably easiest if you remember that while it literally means "vice count", with vice meaning the same thing really as it does with "Vice President", because the English are stubborn, they don't pronounce the "s" as either an "s" OR as a "c" and just make it silent instead.  So... "Vie Count".

• Love 3
Heh, I always thought it was pronounced "vee-cont" because they used the French pronunciation in Dangerous Liaisons!

Funny thing about the English - they intentionally mispronounce all 'foreign' words with as english a pronunciation as possible.  Hence 'filet', like in 'filet mignon' isn't pronounced 'fil-a', but 'fillet'.  They do this especially with french words - long history there.

• Love 1

I imagine one reason Henry doesn't want a cellphone is because it would probably disappear every time he died. I do wonder how he keeps his keys... Maybe he keeps them somewhere that he can find later... It must be rather unnerving knowing that if he dies, the stuff he has on him will poof (except his watch). Car keys would be lost all the time too if he kept them on him. I bet they took his watch away from him at the asylum. I know he told Jo some story about a woman finding it at auction and giving it to him. I wonder if that was Abigail or a previous woman in between Abigail and Nora.

I took a long time to finally get a cellphone and I kept mine until it died (2007 to 2012) and finally got a smartphone. I think Henry doesn't like the idea of it, but that if he actually gone one and used it regularly he might start to like it. But I think its one of the quirks with his character. The world has changed and moved on and he's still holding on to the past.

Ghost, out of curiosity, how do American accents sound to you? Over in the UK is there any one particular accent that is associated with the US? Or do people try to mimic some of the different accents (like southern, new england, etc)? I've always been very curious about things like that.

Also, what do you think of Ioan's put-on accent? Does it sound accurate? I know his natural accent is very different from the way he speaks on this show.

I imagine one reason Henry doesn't want a cellphone is because it would probably disappear every time he died. I do wonder how he keeps his keys... Maybe he keeps them somewhere that he can find later... It must be rather unnerving knowing that if he dies, the stuff he has on him will poof (except his watch). Car keys would be lost all the time too if he kept them on him.

It's a bit of a contrivance how often Henry dies, though. Most people can live out a good 75 years without once being murdered or falling off a roof or whatever. But Henry seems to die every few weeks.
  • Love 2

It's a bit of a contrivance how often Henry dies, though. Most people can live out a good 75 years without once being murdered or falling off a roof or whatever. But Henry seems to die every few weeks.

Obviously part of that is just PLOT! WOO! but I also can believe that Henry, knowing that he will come back to life, is willing to take more risks. Though he still fears death, as he pointed out in the most recent episode, I'd think he still is okay with being put into more dangerous situations when he thinks it's for the greater good. Facing down a known murderer to save people or getting the gun turned on him instead of Jo etc... so those risky behaviors, and being involved with police work, which is inherently more dangerous than many jobs, can increase his chances of actually dying.   And surely it is easier for him to just die when he's badly injured instead of getting rushed to the hospital where he may or may not die.

• Love 1