Type keyword(s) to search

So What Are You Listening To?

aradia22
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm not a big Bruce Springsteen fan by a long shot, but I prefer his version of "Fire", especially this live version:

Me neither.  But this cover I like of his

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/28/2023 at 3:46 AM, Jaded said:

I thought of this post/song/video again, I just watched Austin Powers 2 on Netflix!  This particular song is in it for maybe 20 seconds in the middle of the film.

Austin Powers 2 I was in high school when it came out and I recall being eager to see it when it came out.  Me and a friend went to see it in the theaters at the time.  My trip down memory lane kind of makes me think the whole music and movie industry was better before social media/the internet.  I remember this song especially and stuff about the Austin Powers was pretty basic the info on it.  Granted I didnt use the internet back then.  Today with Instagram and what not it'd be all over the place to the point you couldn't get away from it.  I think it kills some of the mystery about stuff today 

Still a pretty funny movie and good song/music video 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1
(edited)

So far, the only song that I actually have heard before from them on a radio 😆Okey, this and "Little Lies". Though, I had no idea it were their songs.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 2

I rarely listen to full albums these days, but recently I've been listening to Zeal & Ardor - Live in London. On the face of it, African American spirituals and heavy metal should mix like oil and water. But they make it work! They produce some amazingly good music.

• Like 2
(edited)

Hmm... this is probably their second best album for my tastes. 8 songs in and I liked all 8 songs from front to back. EDIT: take it back, it was almost perfect. Ruined by the last song in the album 😆

Anduin, I admit, did not have the patience or the time to hear the entire concert, but from the couple of songs I stumbled upon... pretty good.

Edited by Rushmoras
  • Like 1

I heard the Vanessa Williams version of this on 90s on 9 this afternoon.  It reminded me of being a kid and owning the Chipmunk CD.  Not gonna lie I still got a little choked up listening to it.  Good stuff

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Even though Kelly Clarkson's 3rd album "My December" didn't do as well as some of her other more popular ones it's still a favorite of mine. I remember all the drama around it back then and being confused over the fact that there was so much pushback at her record company at the time. It was rumored that Clive was the one who really took issue with it and supposedly tried to bribe her to remove five songs and add five of his choosing.  She participated in writing all the songs on the album.

"Miss Independent" the first single from her first album will always be a favorite of mine. It's especially due to how much I related to the independent parts of the song at the time and still do not so much the falling in love part. Watching this video after having not seen it for years kind of made me feel like a dinosaur...🙃

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 5/11/2023 at 6:09 AM, Jaded said:

I remember when this came out.  Was in The Next Best Thing.  Never finished the movie and this song is all right.

It’s funny I still recall she was on a cover of Good Housekeeping at that time.  To me though she was the smartest and most beautiful mature woman ever to me as a teen.  In that area 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 1

So, yesterday completed Fleetwood Mac discography, however, decided to omit the last album (came out in 2020), which was either rarities from the sixties and seventies (earliest albums), since I did not like that music part in their period, and listening to their songs from that era once was enough for me.

So, as usual, my subjective assessment of each album (formula of assessments, if anyone is interested number of songs liked times 100 divided by the total number of songs in the album):

Fleetwood Mac (1968) - 3.7/10

Mr. Wonderful (1968) - 3.1/10

Then Play On (1969) - 7.8/10

Kiln House (1970) - 8/10

Future Games (1971) - 7.5/10

Bare Trees (1972) - 9/10

Penguin (1973) - 6.7/10

Mystery to Me (1973) - 6/10

Heroes are Hard to Find (1974) - 7.3/10

Fleetwood Mac (1975) - 8/10

Rumours (1977) - 7.3/10

Tusk (1979) - 6.5/10

Mirage (1982) - 6.7/10

Tango in the Night (1987) - 5.8/10

Behind the Mask (1990) - 9.2/10

Time (1995) - 6.9/10

Say You Will (2003) - 5.6/10

• Like 2

Well, started the Verve discography now. I only know Bitter Sweet Symphony of theirs. But, um, two songs in... and... why the hell all I her is Bono from U2 (at least modern version U2, when they used pop synthesizers a lot) lol.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, Rushmoras said:

Well, started the Verve discography now. I only know Bitter Sweet Symphony of theirs.

I was going to say I know that one and "The Freshmen", but then I realized those are two different bands; The Verve, and The Verve Pipe.

Going back to The Verve, in case you don't know, "Bitter Sweet Symphony" resulted in a fairly tangled mess of lawsuits.

• Like 4

Oh, gosh, I haven't listened to Paula Cole in ages, but I loved her debut album, Harbinger.  And then her next one, This Fire, put her on the map (with the hits "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" and "I Don't Want to Wait").  I loved that one, too, but have the most affection for her first.  "Saturn Girl" and "I Am So Ordinary" were my favorites, but I loved the whole thing.  I'll have to pull that out and listen to it again.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

"Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" and "I Don't Want to Wait" are the only songs I've ever heard by her, but now you have me curious to give her stuff a little further listen in general :). 

• Useful 1

Okey, three albums-in and Bitter Sweet Simphony and The Drugs Don't Work are so far the only two songs I know of them (did not know that DDW was theirs, though). The third album (Urban Hymns) so far is their best; though, on average, I'd say they're pretty meh? Like, I wouldn't want to spend money going to their concerts back in the day, but I would not say no, if somebody gave me a ticket? You know what I'm saying? Or you would not generally change the radio station after hearing them, but if you'd knew that there's a better song playing on the next channel, you'd tune-in that channel? You know... 🤪

• Like 1

So, I guess, the Verve so far was the fastest discography listening for me. Only four albums (disregarding various delux editions on Spotify). I still do not sway from my initial opinion that they are kind of meh, but... their last two albums were decent. Also, in the last album instead of Bono voice I'm hearing Robbie William's voice. I don't know what gives, but, seriously though :D

This is probably their best song in the entire discog for me.

Subjective assessment:

1. A Storm in Heaven (1993) - 5/10

2. A Northern Soul (1995) - 3.3/10

3. Urban Hymns (1997) - 6.2/10

4. Forth (2008) - 7/10

20 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I hadn't heard this song for years until today... 90s on 9.  Had to listen to it again

I don't remember seeing the video for the song. I do remember hearing it on the radio a lot for quite awhile and skating to it at the skating rink.  I wouldn't dare to try to get on a skating rink again that didn't turn out so well for my Mom years later when she thought it would work for her.

I've had this song stuck in my head for the past couple of days.

• Like 2

Holy crap, that "Mr. Vain" song. I haven't heard that one in years. Hello, flashbacks to listening to my local radio station as a kid...:p. 

(My god, listening to it now, it sounds so very '90s :D. Damn if I'm not dancing along, though.)

Love Fiona Apple's "Criminal". Great song. I've always loved this one from her, too:

• Like 3

Just some classic Lithuanian rock. The song is called 'In the ryes'. Approximate lyrics:

I'm again lost in the ryes
As if in warm Summer embrace
I'm tired of flying in my mind
I'm tired of flying the skies

And the field seemed endless
And I couldn't stop
And the blood started boiling
The heart quickly got engulfed in madness
(x2)

However, my ryes have ended
I became tired again for some reason
I'm drowning in my thoughts again boringly
And I'm flying in the skies again

And the field seemed endless
And I couldn't stop
And the blood started boiling
The heart quickly got engulfed in madness
(x2)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Square One TV on PBS! 

I still don't like Math. I liked that show though. My favorite skit that I seem to remember the most was the Mathnet one. The Kate Monday then Pat Tuesday when the previous actress decided to leave is still funny to me.

Posted this a couple times before. I'm always proud of myself when I remember to actually post it on a Friday...😺

I'm just seeing this version though. I'm not sure if the guys besides Robert were supposed to keep neutral looking faces throughout the video or not. If so near the beginning the drummer breaks where he starts to smile a bit then later on goes back to looking like he's trying not to. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/25/2023 at 3:33 PM, Annber03 said:

Love Fiona Apple's "Criminal". Great song. I've always loved this one from her, too:

I still love the entire Tidal album (what a debut!) and listened the hell out of it back in the day.  I love "Shadowboxer" and, especially, "Criminal", too (and "The Child is Gone" and "Never is a Promise" and ... seriously, I love the entire album), but my favorite is "Sleep to Dream":

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

I still don't like Math. I liked that show though. My favorite skit that I seem to remember the most was the Mathnet one. The Kate Monday then Pat Tuesday when the previous actress decided to leave is still funny to me.

Posted this a couple times before. I'm always proud of myself when I remember to actually post it on a Friday...😺

I'm just seeing this version though. I'm not sure if the guys besides Robert were supposed to keep neutral looking faces throughout the video or not. If so near the beginning the drummer breaks where he starts to smile a bit then later on goes back to looking like he's trying not to. 

Math was my favorite subject until Pre-Calculus & Calculus came along.  I always saw numbers as being like an exact science kind of thing.

Yes I liked Mathnet!  The To Be Continued at the end of each episode for the week was very dramatic to me as a kid.  There was one dramatic episode I found on YouTube where Kate has correct suspicions in believing her neighbor is building bombs.  Was an intense episode.  And then yeah as you mentioned the series moved from LA to NY with the other actress.

This song still makes me laugh.  I always say my job feels like that or family life...  a shit show to infinity. 😅😅

(edited)

The song's called "When a star dies". Approximate lyrics:

When a star dies in space,
It's light for many years
Pours down to Earth through darkness thick
As if cold silver rain
As if cold silver rain

In the light, they try to reach heavens
Trees, grass, bustling water
Someone is kissing under the window
Or maybe lies down in flowery fields

I would like when the heart dies (I would like)
When the song will freeze in my chest
Through a thick spider-web of years
My song would be heard

No one is asking the star
Whether it is alive or dead?
Engulfed in twilight,
The Earth spins on its own orbit

I would like when the heart dies (I would like)
When the song will freeze in my chest
Through a thick spider-web of years
My song would be heard

Edited by Rushmoras

This song was in Cocaine Bear for a bit.  I remember it in Vision Quest as well.  

it's a song I'll always put the radio up a little if it comes on and or notice it.  Meanwhile their song take My Breathe Away I'll turn the radio mute on if it comes on 😆  Top Gun kinda ruined it 

• Like 2