Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

Bummin, it's HAWT! Game of thrones is over. No walking dead. I watched the first episode of "outcast" and the first 2 minutes did freak me out. Patrick fugit is kinda cute with a beard. I did start Daredevil on Netflix. And I'll move on to punisher for Shane. 

I was mentally picturing people's and I think Nashville looks like the "longmire" dude. 

At least I don't picture you as the ax murderer as your picture suggests! but I do think kinda sheriffy and scruffy.

Yesterday we got stormy, lotsa thunder and lightening, power in and out. I had purchased ranier cherries (soooooooooooo delicious), regular cherries and cherry pie. I also got corn on the cob. Here's a question, how do you peel 'em? there was actually a trash can at the store so you could strip your silks there but I don't know how that's beneficial unless you just don't wanna throw em away at home. but if you don't pay by weight (3 for $1) wouldn't you want it in it's protective casing until you're ready to cook? Also with all the strings you still gotta rinse the suckers. anywho I saw online a "lifehack" (how have I ever gotten by so long without them!) They said cut them from the "butt" end (rather than peel like a banana) and schloop the whole thing comes right off, strings and all. I'm gonna try it!

• Love 2
(edited)

Been preoccupied lately.  Wednesday before last my father had to go in for surgery to fix an abdominal aortic aneurysm they stumbled across while doing a CT for another issue; there were some complications, and he - and I - ended up camping out in the hospital's ICU for 3-4 days.  The previous two weekends before that I was pulling OT for a high-profile, short-deadline work project. 

So pretty much the entire month of June has been one long nonstop blur, with no breaks.  I'd forgotten what a weekend off was like.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3

Mini marathon on AMC until 8:00 p.m. Next sunday the same.

I was just coming here to post this.  It looks like today's marathon is season one going on now with a repeat later in the morning.  Now that I have AMC in HD, I plan to re-watch all episodes in all of their high-def goriness. 

Yes, I have it on the background right now, trying to find some enthusiasm for the show after the poor decisions and bad finale of the last season. I really hope it works.

I hope your father recovers quickly Nashville.

• Love 2

They're doing 1 season every Sunday for the next consecutive Sunday's. I don't think that brings us to the premier but who knows. 

Also corn is freakin fantastic!  And I got a $2.99 watermelon. Wheeeeee! 

On 7/3/2016 at 3:58 AM, Nashville said:

Been preoccupied lately.  Wednesday before last my father had to go in for surgery to fix an abdominal aortic aneurysm they stumbled across while doing a CT for another issue; there were some complications, and he - and I - ended up camping out in the hospital's ICU for 3-4 days.  The previous two weekends before that I was pulling OT for a high-profile, short-deadline work project. 

So pretty much the entire month of June has been one long nonstop blur, with no breaks.  I'd forgotten what a weekend off was like.

It's been a blur for me, too, until today. My mother fell and hurt her hip just before Memorial Day, but refused to go to a doctor. She finally got it checked out a couple of weeks ago, and she has to have surgery - but with the tests they ran, they found out that she needed heart surgery, too. :( She had it Monday of last week, and at least ten days were us barely sleeping, and rushing to and from the hospital. I couldn't sleep at all before she had her surgery, or eat, but I've balanced out since then. 

She has two more surgeries ahead of her, though: the hip surgery, and then one for an aneurysm on/around her heart. I keep blocking that out, because it freaks me out. 

So, I haven't had that "Six Feet Under" marathon, after all. It turns out that we'll be keeping Amazon Prime for a while, though, because Netflix removed "Medium" and that's her favourite show. I couldn't believe it, but found it on Amazon - apparently all seven seasons are now there - so we want mum to be able to watch it. So I'll have more time to watch things like Boardwalk Empire.

I've been so tired, I slept for about eleven hours last night. 

• Love 3

Hopefully everyone's parentals will stop breaking stuff. Speedy recovery!

With the netflixes and the hulus and amazons it's kind of a pain in the ass. I'm trying to drop satellite but holy hell I need to watch all the crap that's on my dvr before I give it back, wanna try hulu. Supposedly the internets are considered a utility now  (I get my news from Stephen Colbert) so what I hope happens is that all the providers stop with the "introductory" offers, you can't get comcast or whoever to tell you exactly how much you'll be paying after the first year or 2 year contract, Yes, I like the $15.99 a month price but if it's $79.99 after 12 months I don't want it. And now that Netflix has competition for streaming all these shows and movies are getting dumped and you gotta subscribe to 6 different ones to get all the shows you want. and I do know that Hulu does NOT have current walking dead so come October I'll have to find alternate sources for my viewing pleasure.

Oh man. I hope everyone's parents get well (and home!) soon. Two of my co-workers had open heart surgery (one this year, one last). The man who had it done this year is recovering well, and the one who had it done last year now feels like a million bucks...so here's to hoping that everyone else does as well and feels as good!

Take care all!

My father has been home for a week or so now, and doing well.  Just had his two-week follow-up with the surgeon, and everything looks good.  He's been clear to drive again, so if you value your ass get it off the road.

His main take-away from the entire ordeal?  The hospital food was lousy.

• Love 2

Ha! My sister was exactly the same. She had a major salt addiction and wouldn't eat anything. Complained that her baked potato tasted like cardboard and didn't even want to go on living if food was going to be terrible from now on. I tasted her potato. They let her have butter! Sour cream! Cheese! After a year of adjusting to no salt she does say her tastes have changed, she still likes food and she's glad she decided to keep going. Ha! 

• Love 1

They had my father on a low-carb diabetic diet which, to a country boy who still likes pig's feet and collard greens, had about as much flavor as distilled water.  He wouldn't eat it - and I mean that literally, as in he would take at most two bites and leave the rest - to the point it was affecting his recovery.  It wasn't until we (with the doctor's permission) "smuggled" him in some chicken noodle soup that he showed any signs of real recovery.  Once we did, though, the difference in him was amazing.

• Love 1

She would only eat the fruit that came with her dinner. Which resulted in wearing a diaper because she couldn't move fast enough to get to the bathroom with all the wires and tubes. Plus a cracked open chest. So they even took the fruit away from her. But her tastebuds did change. Hopefully papa Nashville can find ways to adjust as well. 

I decided I wanted salmon. Then I talked to my sister and she said my other sister (evil one) had been saying she wanted salmon. That made me think there's a weird creepy connection and I had to take a Silkwood shower. But she wants icky salmon patties like my mom used to make, out of a can. I want actual salmon. So I went on a quest. My options weren't great. Frozen salmon comes pre portioned in them itty bitty things and comes out quite expensive. Seriously buying a slab of salmon is much cheaper than them just slicing it into sections for you. So...anybody want some salmon? I got a bunch. :D

Plus I had to buy a microwave. My old one died. and lemme tell you he was old. Got him eons ago and he had no settings, wasn't digital. just turn the dial and holy smokes could he cook! He popped the hell out of some popcorn, faster than most microwaves. I replaced him for a while with a convection microwave, I thought "hey, why heat up the whole house if I want to bake?" and the convection microwave died within a year or two. So I hauled out old faithful and just been him forever now. Ya'll come out for the funeral, we'll have some salmon. Sing songs about popcorn.

• Love 3
(edited)

Y'all should be thanking your lucky stars your parents have restricted diets and shitty hospital food.  After a visit to emergency last month, my Mum in Canada was moved to a palatial palliative care room in hospital, and then to hospice.  The food is excellent and unlimited, for the first time in many years.  I guess a badly healed hip/pelvis fracture, diabetes, gallbladder disease, abdominal aortic aneurysm, angina, lung cancer and emphysema means you can eat whatever the fuck you want.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think everyone on the damn planet is losing their minds!!! Wtf is going on? Kanye vs Taylor swift to everybody shooting everybody in the streets and complete cluster fuck of a political eternity. I want to go back to bed and not get up til 2018. There is nothing that is worth all this nonsense. 

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1

I think I am unwell. I have weird eggy burps and I don't feel "ill" at the moment I think something's off. 

Saw the trailer for next season. Really wish it was now. Lookin up "sling" and Hulu to dump cable. I'm not sure if sling Is worth it. I have to get either chromecast, roku, Xbox or Amazonfire thingy. If I'm getting one of those do I actually need sling? Bah! Being cheap is hard. 

My mum died two days ago. :( I don't even know what I'm doing here, except to distract myself. She was eating more, more relaxed, bloodwork and everything looked good, partially collapsed lung got better - and then she was gone. A couple of hours after dad left her for the night. they think the aneurysm burst. 

Since she was downstairs and I was up here, when she was at home, I sometimes think she's down there, watching her TV, or reading. and then I remember. We weren't spending as much time together as we used to - due to drama over the past few years - and I regret that. She was napping a lot, though, as well. I miss her so much. I finally stopped stressing so much, and thought she was going to be okay, and the aneurysm didn't wait for the third surgery.

The food was generally crappy though. Dad started taking things in, with the blessing of people there, just to get her strength up. I was supposed to be making her soup, and was just about to make her beef and barley, and she was gone. I bought her a book that afternoon, as well. She wasn't the same after they did that one test on her heart, after I spoke to her on the phone when she was first admitted - lucid, but kind of out of it. I called her phone, thinking dad had it, listened to her message, and started to cry.  I was really worried about her before, but still didn't expect this. It's such a shock to not even be visiting her in the hospital anymore. 

• Love 1

Oh, dear. I'm sorry @Anela. That's horrible. And for it to be so sudden just really shocks the soul.

I just got the news that my dad is going into hospice, so it seems that 2016 isn't going to break its streak any time soon. Ugh.

• Love 2

So - this may surprise absolutely nobody, but occasionally I engage in certain activities which kick my competitive juices into super duper triple-dog-dare overdrive, such as:

• Bar trivia, sometimes.
  • Dragon boats, ALL the time.  On dry land I'm usually a pretty nice guy; get me in a dragon boat with a paddle in my hand, though, and I turn into a psycho fucking pirate who wants to grease the bottom of his boat with the bodies of his opponents so it'll go faster.
  • Annnd... volleyball.  Any kind of volleyball.  I am to volleyball what Happy Gilmore is to hockey; what I lack in skill I more than make up for in sheer ferocity.

So you get the idea: whatever I'm doing I tend to go full gonzo, and count the cost later. 

I mention this because while at a friend's house party on the 4th a bunch of us got an impromptu game of water volleyball going in the pool, and I messed myself up a bit - neck and right shoulder.  In true guy fashion I tried ignoring it for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't getting any better - worse, actually, especially the shoulder. So I finally beak down and go to the doc.  Turned out I had a beauty case of neck strain (pretty much whiplashed myself), and some damage to my right shoulder rotator cuff.  The neck strain isn't a biggie; pop anti-inflammatory meds for a couple of weeks.  The rotator cuff was fortunately not bad enough to require surgery, but I get to experience the Joy of Physical Therapy for a few weeks. 

First session was today, and boy howdy this month is gonna suck.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow. I wouldn't put dragon boating up on anyone's list of things that makes them cuckoo. In the current century. Very interesting. But unfortunate about your volleyball injury. I go to trivia once a week. Gives me something to do. I've had odd injuries lately, got swimmers ear and haven't swim/swam/swum in quite some time. Had to put peroxide in my ear and it's a freaky sensation. Like a giant ant is munching on your brain. It's soooooo loud.

2016 is pretty shitty. Hang on errybody. It's a rough ride. 

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 1
On 7/3/2016 at 8:55 AM, BooksRule said:

I was just coming here to post this.  It looks like today's marathon is season one going on now with a repeat later in the morning.  Now that I have AMC in HD, I plan to re-watch all episodes in all of their high-def goriness. 

Am I on glue or what? I thought AMC said for the next 6 weekends TWD would have an all day marathons on Sunday leading up to the new season of FTWD (oh, goody)? But today they have Kill Bill 1 &2? What, I woke up and I was like awesome, Carol takes down terminus today! No, instead it is Kill Bill. WTF? Anyone know what is up or did I hallucinate this? Of course, I can always watch on Netflix anytime, but it ties up a computer monitor that I need while I work. Sigh, I live such a tough life.  ;) 

I was disappointed that there is no marathon today, too.  I checked ahead and it looks like season 5 is next Sunday (I've already set my DVR).  I wonder if they'll stretch it out further and skip more weeks before season 6.  I kind of got used to watching TWD every Sunday.  It's made my life tougher as well.  Now I guess I'll have to go out and do some yardwork (for a little while, at least--it's too blame hot to be outside for too long).  Maybe I'll have to spend the late afternoon and evening starting a 'Lost' marathon.  It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

On 7/26/2016 at 3:25 PM, Anela said:

My mum died two days ago. :( I don't even know what I'm doing here, except to distract myself. She was eating more, more relaxed, bloodwork and everything looked good, partially collapsed lung got better - and then she was gone. A couple of hours after dad left her for the night. they think the aneurysm burst. 

Since she was downstairs and I was up here, when she was at home, I sometimes think she's down there, watching her TV, or reading. and then I remember. We weren't spending as much time together as we used to - due to drama over the past few years - and I regret that. She was napping a lot, though, as well. I miss her so much. I finally stopped stressing so much, and thought she was going to be okay, and the aneurysm didn't wait for the third surgery.

The food was generally crappy though. Dad started taking things in, with the blessing of people there, just to get her strength up. I was supposed to be making her soup, and was just about to make her beef and barley, and she was gone. I bought her a book that afternoon, as well. She wasn't the same after they did that one test on her heart, after I spoke to her on the phone when she was first admitted - lucid, but kind of out of it. I called her phone, thinking dad had it, listened to her message, and started to cry.  I was really worried about her before, but still didn't expect this. It's such a shock to not even be visiting her in the hospital anymore. 

I'm so sorry Anela :(  I know how hard it is - people just don't know until the go through it.

I almost had a panic attack because I clicked on the wrong link (Fear the Walking Dead instead of Walking Dead) and I thought our little universe here was gone!  I've missed you guys...Been working on my next Business thing that will hopefully make me boat loads of money for retirement.  Tiring but worth it!

• Love 1

Possum in the road this morning, not already squished but possibly stunned because it wasn't running away from traffic, just sitting there. Could tell if maybe his tail was squished but I was worried about him.

Aug 14 (Sunday, duh) is a season 7 preview for Walking Dead. Not sure if it's going to be like Talking Dead or just behind the scenes, interviews, whatnot. It's all I got.

16 minutes ago, NurseGiGi said:

Anybody here watching Preacher?  I started off liking it, then for a couple episodes almost gave it up and now I'm loving it.

Haven't seen a single episode yet.  I've wanted to, but I simply haven't had the time.

You need to watch it.  Unless you're easily offended by a show that takes numerous tongue in cheek pot shots about most kinds of organized religion.  I really like it even though Seth Rogen is involved (as a producer, not an actor).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, NurseGiGi said:

Anybody here watching Preacher?  I started off liking it, then for a couple episodes almost gave it up and now I'm loving it.

I love it, too.  Looking forward to Season 2 - I'm a sucker for road trips!  ;-)

• Love 1
14 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I love it, too.  Looking forward to Season 2 - I'm a sucker for road trips!  ;-)

OMG! What if they run into Rick and the gang? Working on getting a viewing party up for the season premiere. I nominated a friend of mine to host. hahahahahaha

I went for dinner at a friend's house last night and because I got lost and couldn't find the house (subdivision is so new the road doesn't show up on my gps) they blame me that they were completely trashed last night. It was fun, although, it's been a good number of years since I've had to pick someone up from the bathroom floor and they just keep repeating "I love you so much". Thankfully very pleasant drunks and I didn't have to cook. Tonight is ramen stir fry cuz I'm poor.

vote4-barb.png

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 2

I came across this today and thought it might be of interest...

Zombie films often end with a miracle cure or the arrival of the army (or the protagonists and the world facing uncertain doom). But what would happen if a new disease started converting humans into a zombie-like state for real, and how might we actually stop it? Answering this kind of question isn't just a fun exercise – it can tell us a lot about how a genuine highly infectious condition might spread.

Scientists who study disease – epidemiologists – need to answer questions such as how a disease spreads, how fast it is likely to move through a population and, most importantly, how best to stop the outbreak and prevent future events.

http://www.livescience.com/55821-how-to-stop-zombie-apocalypse-with-science.html

6 hours ago, Raven1707 said:

I came across this today and thought it might be of interest...

Zombie films often end with a miracle cure or the arrival of the army (or the protagonists and the world facing uncertain doom). But what would happen if a new disease started converting humans into a zombie-like state for real, and how might we actually stop it? Answering this kind of question isn't just a fun exercise – it can tell us a lot about how a genuine highly infectious condition might spread.

Scientists who study disease – epidemiologists – need to answer questions such as how a disease spreads, how fast it is likely to move through a population and, most importantly, how best to stop the outbreak and prevent future events.

http://www.livescience.com/55821-how-to-stop-zombie-apocalypse-with-science.html

I've done some epidemiological work over the years, and it's actually a lot more fun than it sounds. :)