Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Nashville said:

I've done some epidemiological work over the years, and it's actually a lot more fun than it sounds. :)

It definitely sounds like fun. Back in 2013, I enrolled in an 8-week online course given by University of California, Irvine called "Society, Science, Survival: Lesson's From AMC's "The Walking Dead." The topics were:

•    Module 1: Foundation of Survival
•    Module 2: Public Health & Infectious Diseases
•    Module 3: Deconstructing Society
•    Module 4: Social Identity
•    Module 5: Modeling a Zombie Outbreak
•    Module 6: Thriving on a Post-Apocalyptic Diet
•    Module 7: New Materials & the Science of Damage Control
•    Module 8: The Science of Hope

(I still have all the materials, plus a "I Survived" certificate of completion...which does NOT guarantee I'd last more than a day in a real zombie apocalypse.)

• Love 6

I'm craving a piece of candy.  Maybe a Twix.  Any suggestions?  Ooh, or maybe some salted caramels.

On 8/20/2016 at 3:47 PM, Raven1707 said:

It definitely sounds like fun. Back in 2013, I enrolled in an 8-week online course given by University of California, Irvine called "Society, Science, Survival: Lesson's From AMC's "The Walking Dead." The topics were:

•    Module 1: Foundation of Survival
•    Module 2: Public Health & Infectious Diseases
•    Module 3: Deconstructing Society
•    Module 4: Social Identity
•    Module 5: Modeling a Zombie Outbreak
•    Module 6: Thriving on a Post-Apocalyptic Diet
•    Module 7: New Materials & the Science of Damage Control
•    Module 8: The Science of Hope

(I still have all the materials, plus a "I Survived" certificate of completion...which does NOT guarantee I'd last more than a day in a real zombie apocalypse.)

That sounds pretty interesting!

• Love 1

I wound up  with a Milky Way.  It's in the refrigerator.

I just rewatched Bad Lip Reading......AGAIN.  Still hilarious.  I wish they would do one for this past season, especially for Negan's neverending monologue.

You're that one guy who eats Krackel! I enjoy a York Peppermint patty, butterfinger, toffee of any kind, Reese peanut butter cup...seriously it's endless. Dangit I aint go no breakfast, now I'm hungry.

Oh they could do some great Bad Lip reading with Negan!

3 hours ago, nachomama said:

You're that one guy who eats Krackel! 

Guilty as charged.  Had a soft spot for those ever since my birthdays were still firmly in the single digits.

Oh they could do some great Bad Lip reading with Negan!

Give JDM a chance to get a few more hours worth of dialogue on the screen, and I expect your wish shall be granted.  :)

4 hours ago, nachomama said:

Who eats Clark bars? which one is the dark chocolate in the little mixy bag? I used to eat $100,000 bars. don't see those much. Oooh, Oooh my favorite was Cherry Mash. can't get them here.

Oh $100,000 bars were my favorite.  I would usually pass on candy as a kid, but if they had those I was all in!

• Love 2

/Whispers / am I the only person who thinks of hitting their head on the ceiling when they watch people looking to buy tiny houses? And I'm only talking about reverse cowgirl kinda hitting your head. And that actually would have no bearing on my life in any way. 

I show myself out. 

• Love 3

Hi guys. Damn it's been a while! It's not you though, it's definitely me. Or more specifically my job from hell. I haven't had a day off since July nor a stat holiday since Easter which, I'm pretty sure, is illegal. Anyway I'm actively looking for a new placement now. I can't give notice without a very firm exit plan because, when I do, it's going to go nuclear in a hurry. I'm actually dreading it. I don't think I've ever been this tired in my entire life but, after averaging out my work hours over the month of August, I hit 75 hours a week. I think I'm officially burned out.

• Love 6
On 9/2/2016 at 11:42 AM, Irishmaple said:

Hi guys. Damn it's been a while! It's not you though, it's definitely me. Or more specifically my job from hell. I haven't had a day off since July nor a stat holiday since Easter which, I'm pretty sure, is illegal. Anyway I'm actively looking for a new placement now. I can't give notice without a very firm exit plan because, when I do, it's going to go nuclear in a hurry. I'm actually dreading it. I don't think I've ever been this tired in my entire life but, after averaging out my work hours over the month of August, I hit 75 hours a week. I think I'm officially burned out.

NO job is worth that, Irish!  I was the "indispensible one" for decades, but one day I just broke ... and walked (at the worst time possible, I may add).  Sure, it went nuclear for a while, but the fallout didn't touch me because I totally disengaged.   I've never been so glad to be a poverty stricken retiree.

Anyone who expects you to work that much does not deserve your consideration.

• Love 1
On 9/5/2016 at 0:42 PM, walnutqueen said:

NO job is worth that, Irish!  I was the "indispensible one" for decades, but one day I just broke ... and walked (at the worst time possible, I may add).  Sure, it went nuclear for a while, but the fallout didn't touch me because I totally disengaged.   I've never been so glad to be a poverty stricken retiree.

Anyone who expects you to work that much does not deserve your consideration.

Ahh it totally isn't worth it!  I did that for years with just a day off here and there.  Practically destroyed all my relationships outside of work and took a lot to nurture them back.  I'm now only working 60 or so hours a week.  Baby steps I guess....

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kj4ever said:

Ahh it totally isn't worth it!  I did that for years with just a day off here and there.  Practically destroyed all my relationships outside of work and took a lot to nurture them back.  I'm now only working 60 or so hours a week.  Baby steps I guess....

Have to find yourself other outlets as well, to keep yourself from always drifting back to work stuff.

Case in point: Nashville's annual dragon boat festival is this weekend. 

This evening is my team's last practice before Race Day.

So I sure as hell ain't staying glued to a computer screen TONIGHT!!!  :D

• Love 2

Well, at least I know my form is still good - I'm hurting in all the correct places.  :D

Our Steersman/trainer was grueling when he was putting us through our paces, and man he's good - we paddled more in an hour than we will the entirety of race day.  Our in-boat training slot was scheduled for 7:15pm this evening - and of course they're running late - so we didn't even get out of the river until after dark - which means we're playing chicken with some hella big river traffic - barges, riverboats, and such.  It's a really phenomenal test of your focus and concentration if you can keep the paddling going in sync when you keep getting suddenly and unexpectedly lit up by spotlights wielded by river captains trying to figure out what the HELL is out there on the water with them.  :>

Most of the other dragon boat captains would suspend practice and wait for these river behemoths to pass, but not us - we turned it into a game.  On one occasion we even ended up dong a racing start against a paddlewheeler - the General Jackson - and we SMOKED its ass!!!  Left them chewing on our wake, and the people on deck were going nuts!  Wheeeeee!!!!!  Can't WAIT for Saturday!

In case you hadn't figured it out yet,  Dragon Boat Festival day is my Christmas.  :) 

Now please pardon me while I try to go score an Advil the size of Detroit.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, NurseGiGi said:

OMG, do you really get to have a drummer in your boat?

Yep!  The drummer is actually a pretty important part of the team, because 90% of winning is synchronization - more than individual paddling strength, or speed, or reach or anything else - and the drummer and steersman both are significant elements of communicating the timing set by the pacers (the front-most paddlers) to the rest of the crew.  I've seen 20 fair-to-middling paddlers kick the asses of 20 over-steroided jocks simply because they could keep in time better.  A competition dragon boat weighs about 650 pounds; add in 20 paddlers, a drummer, and a steersman, and you're talking something in the neighborhood of 2 tons sitting flat in the water at the starting line - but I've been in crews good enough that at the starting horn we picked the damn boat up off the water.  And starts like THAT make the whole thing worth while.  :D

• Love 3
On 9/9/2016 at 9:57 AM, Nashville said:

Yep!  The drummer is actually a pretty important part of the team, because 90% of winning is synchronization - more than individual paddling strength, or speed, or reach or anything else - and the drummer and steersman both are significant elements of communicating the timing set by the pacers (the front-most paddlers) to the rest of the crew.  I've seen 20 fair-to-middling paddlers kick the asses of 20 over-steroided jocks simply because they could keep in time better.  A competition dragon boat weighs about 650 pounds; add in 20 paddlers, a drummer, and a steersman, and you're talking something in the neighborhood of 2 tons sitting flat in the water at the starting line - but I've been in crews good enough that at the starting horn we picked the damn boat up off the water.  And starts like THAT make the whole thing worth while.  :D

How'd ya do Nashville?

On 9/9/2016 at 9:57 AM, Nashville said:

This sounds like something I would like to see.  And judging from your link it just looks like a total fun day!

And, yes, how did you do?

Placed 13th out of 46 boats, which was both great and frustrating. 

All the boat crews run in the preliminary heats, and their run times are averaged.  Only the top twelve average times go on to the final championship heat - and it doesn't matter if you're #1 or #12, all finalists have an equal shot in the final heat; post the fastest time, and you win the championship.

My crew missed #12 by 45/100s of a second.

Oh, well.  There's always next year.  And we've solidified the basis for a really solid crew.  :)

Edited by Nashville
Hope springs eternal
  • Love 4

The number of heats in each prelim round depends upon the number of boats signed up for the event; this year they were running about 2 to 2-1/2 hours between heats.  Which definitely doesn't give you much in the way of recovery time.  :)

• Love 1

So I'm bailing on my job. I wrangled four days off this week and used one of them to see a recruiter. She loved me and promised me something with more pay and fewer hours. Within a day she'd spoken to my references and emailed me some possible jobs. All of them offered more money and fewer hours.  She's sending my resume to those prospective employers tomorrow. I'm starting to see a shaft of light at the end of this tunnel. Could be a train but WTF. I need to make some changes.

• Love 8

EXCELLENT! both on not smoking and new job getting. I've applied a few places, I don't quite think there's a headhunter near me for specializing in what I do. Just not a big pool in this area. So I've been pecking around, got an automated call back. but people's work places should not be toxic. Hopefully light for everybody's tunnels and not the "LIZBETH I'M COMING FOR YA" kind.

• Love 2

That is what I told my mother, her name was Nancy. Ha! I couldn't think of anything good or memorable to say (actually probably couldn't have said anything meaningful)

Guess what? A MONTH TO GO! only 2 more of the rassin frassin FTWD to suffer through and maybe a couple marathons then boom! Fresh Zombie. I think I got back a CW channel so I can now watch izombie which is your lighthearted zombie comedy. I watched the Kristen Bell life-after-death show "the Good Place" and it was ok, I enjoy her soulmate. I really do watch too much dead stuff don't I? There's not a whole lot coming out that's appealing to me. I give them all a shot. I wanna see some comedy with Ron Funches, can't remember the name, I will try the "Good Behavior" show with Michelle Dockery aka Lady Mary from Downton Abbey. Let me know if there's other crap I should check out.

• Love 1

For anyone checking the score sheet,  I now have three confirmed interviews for this weekend. Ironically this has been so far a really good week at my current job. I wonder if my boss suspects something because she's being awfully pleasant and cooperative.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

For anyone checking the score sheet,  I now have three confirmed interviews for this weekend. Ironically this has been so far a really good week at my current job. I wonder if my boss suspects something because she's being awfully pleasant and cooperative.

Uh-oh.  ;>

I would say don't be seduced by current boss! It's like a bad relationship, they say sorry and play nice. But then they slip into old habits. They drink too much scotch and draw mustaches on your beloved family pets. They eat all your snacks. They sneak red socks into white laundry. ITS ANARCHY! 

• Love 3

Damn, I should have read that earlier, nacho mama.  Work and I talked on Friday, and came to new terms. I agreed to stay for now. I think it might have been a mistake and I only agreed to six months instead of a year (second anniversary coming up on Oct. 1). If I start bitching again, you can tell me I Told You So.

• Love 1

If they start slippin you know you've got leverage. IF in 6 months you still decide to look around, I'm sure something will be out there.

I have a bump on my tongue that's driving me crazy. I don't know if I burned my tongue. When I was a kid they told me 2 things. First they said it was a "lie bump" if you had recently told a lie, kinda like pinocchio and I knew this wasn't true because my good gramma had a bump on her tongue and we knew of course gramma never lied. :D then my mom started telling me it was because I was lacking protein (or iron) so she'd make me eat hard boiled eggs. blech.

Edited by nachomama

I saw clips of west world and thought it was a movie remake coming out. Now I'm hearing it's really good on HBO. Grrr. I never actually saw the original but I know it was weird. I kinda liked the previews. I may have to check it out. 

3 WEEKS! 

No one else running from the hurricane? I had no electricty for 5 days. I'm prepping for zombie apocalypse, sitting in the dark, stabbing anything that moves or makes a noise. And I've come around to Darryl's way of thinking, bathing just slows him down, the layer of grease on him makes him more aerodynamic. I think my power is back on, the website says so after work I'll do a dance of joy or stab myself. I need laundries. sigh.

A movie theater was giving free movies so I saw Magnificent 7, which I liked, it was funny and quite entertaining.

• Love 3

No hurricane running up here in Chicago.  It's 83 out right now though, which worries me because we always get paid back 3 fold for good weather.

Anyone else as "meh" as me about TWD coming back in 6 days?  The last two seasons I was dying, just dying for it to come back and this year....Well eh.

Going to Vegas for Halloween...It is the best. time. ever.  Myself and some other kidless peeps I know go every year and it is a blast.  Now that I'm dying for, and depending how good TWD is I'll have to stay off all forms of social media because I'll miss episode 2 while I'm there.

Slightly more excited after watching the preview. But I have virtually nothing to look forward to. I've got no life til after Nov 15. Trying to get my taxes paid but missing a week of work and having extra bills due to the hurricane.  Many have it much worse. I got no damage just inconvenience. 

I'm not looking forward to it. All of the warnings to have something or someone to hug, during or afterwards. I am not a masochist - I'm not going to keep tuning in to a show that promises you'll be needing anti-depressants afterwards. It's been bad enough in the past - they almost lost me with Herschel. 

I know the show, I know what it's about, but their trying to out-do the horror, and bring about even nastier villains, killing off people I am attached to. It really gets old. 

• Love 3

I'm concerned about the emphasis on Negan. I don't give a crap about Negan. I don't care why or how he is who he is. I care about Rick and my Camp Dinnerbell/Herschel's farm/prison/Alexandria people. From my POV he's another Big Bad for my peeps to defeat. I do not want The Walking Dead to be Negan's story.

• Love 3

My friend of a friend who builds sets on the show says they're building Negan's camp and will be used for 3 seasons. I do like my hunk of burning love Jeffrey Dean Morgan but I don't care for Negan.

anyone watch the latest preview?

Spoiler

In the preview where Rick says he's gonna kill him, he's much, much less convincing than when he promised the termites he was coming with his red handled ax.

On 10/18/2016 at 4:25 PM, nachomama said:

My friend of a friend who builds sets on the show says they're building Negan's camp and will be used for 3 seasons. I do like my hunk of burning love Jeffrey Dean Morgan but I don't care for Negan.

Hide contents

Oh hell no, say it ain't so!