Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

In one of my favorite books, P.J. O'Rourke's Modern Manners---Etiquette For Rude People. there was a recipe for "Ham Nog".

It basically involved filling a swimming pool with rum, cream, and canned hams.

I just noticed that on a fitness site (giggle), a guy says that from that recipe, he and his friends made a "surprisingly palatable" version by blending glazed ham, cream, ice cubes, and coconut rum.

Just telling you because the final is in 2 days...on Palm Sunday.

Watch The Walking Dead and still be reverent.

I can't believe its the finale. I turn off my amc channel when it's not on. Because the expansion pack is so expensive. I shall have to sit alone in my room in the fetal position without my besties, michonne, Maggie, glenn etc. cry myself to sleep with walkers jumping barbed wire fences.

• Love 1

So sad when baby names are ruined like that. 

Ok, we have some hilariously spoiled kids down here pitching a fit because they weren't allowed into the prom. They attend a private catholic school and signed contracts that stipulate you must be on time for the prom. The doors lock and you aren't allowed in or out until prom is over. So they went to a fancy dinner before prom, that took longer than expected. They texted the principal (I dunno who has their principal's texty number) principal said "better head to mcdonald's, doors lock at 8:30". When they arrived, they were not allowed in. OMG you should see the hubbub, parents freaking out that their precious little angels FOREVER memories are ruined! Again, all parents and students signed a contract that they WOULD NOT BE LATE TO PROM. 

I'm thinking of poor carl and Enid THEY HAVE TO GO TO PROM IN  A TREE TRUNK YA'LL! There are kids in Africa with no prom at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is my cherished memory from prom...

Picture it, Sicily 1922...My date asked me because he wanted to stay out late and party later than the usual curfew. My father was basically the preacher from Footloose because he had declared dancing was against our religion (he never attended church with us during my lifetime) so i had to go spend the night with a friend. The dress I bought was white so when we got something to eat after which was in a truck stop some dude said "congratulations" and offered him $10 thinking we had just gotten married. Even at 17 I'm thinking "oh sweet lord this would be the most horrendous marriage ever if this is where we are 20 minutes after getting married". Because he used the $10 to play video games we were late getting back to my friends house to change for the after party. My friends parents had gone out so I didn't get to change so I'm the only idiot sitting there with my big square hair (my friends mom did our hair and make up and holy jeebus, wow! my hair was hyoooooooge and she was a Mary Kay representative and apparently got paid by the pound, I had enough make up on for the entire state of Kansas!) So there I am in my damn "wedding" dress with my fire hazard hair and protective layer of makeup while everybody else got drunk. wheeeeee! cherished prom memories. 

Sicily, 1922 prom date - how fucking old ARE you, nachomama?  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Soooo .... it's been hotter than a popcorn fart around here and the DVR recording pickings are getting slim - shows I should have quit a long time ago and shit I'm just not in the mood for, and dog forbid I should run out of stuff to watch and face my dirty, dirty house!  Season 5 marathon to the rescue, real life averted again for the rest of this weekend.  I Justify this excessive rewatch by telling myself it will be a long, long lonely summer without TWD and y'all, but honestly, I'm just a TWD marathon slutwhore.  :=)

• Love 2

What shows should you have quit? I will be watching game of thrones to tide me over.

I am GoT's bitch forever!!!!

The list of shows I should've quit sooner is quite long and involved, but includes The Blacklist, Black Sails, Mad Men, Once Upon A Time, Forever, American Pickers, Finding Your Roots, Hoarders, Hostages, Low Winter Sun, Downton Abbey, My Cat from Hell, Preachers' Daughters, Psychic Kids, Long Island Medium,  Storage Hunters, Alaskan Bush People, The Following, The Legend of Mick Dodge, Under the Dome, Survivor (first time ever this season - and NO) and probably a bazillion others that have turned me off one way or another - you're putting me on the spot and my memory ain't what it used to be.  :-)

I am to TV shows what nachomama is to foodstuffs, eh!

• Love 1

I will be finishing out mad men as well but Lordy it's gotten clunky. Didn't even know there was more low winter sun after the first season. Downton abbey is a soap opera now but I still watch.

I'm glad we still have GoT I have never been happier than watching Joffrey foam at the mouth. And I love Tyrion like a fat kid loves cake.

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 2

Awww Joffrey has a sense of humor.

I'm liking better call Saul more than I thought I would. I don't care for bob odenkirk. And his character on breaking bad did nothing for me. I did love breaking bad. I would say 3 things turned me into a lunatic in the last few years. Watching Gus walk outta that room and i nearly punched my tv. I was go all Kathy bates on the show cuz no way he could survive that. Then he turned and I went bananas. Then michonne putting a sword in the governors eye. I flew off my couch screaming. And Joffrey. I am able to separate fact from fiction but Joffrey was nearly to the point that if I saw the guy I would push him off a cliff.

I used to be HBO bitch on Sunday nights. Then it was amc. I still at least try everything. I liked the killing. It was slow but good.

• Love 3

OK. Good. You all watch GoT? Awesome. Maybe I'll be able to join you in some discussions when that returns, seeing as I achieved Epic Fail in joining in this half of the season. :-(

I have such good intentions...and then by the time I watch the show and am ready to post all of my points have been made (and usually much better than I could make them!). 

I really enjoy it here and want to join more conversations...but I always seem to arrive really late. Oh well. I shall keep trying!

Small Talk related...I am going to Fan Expo next weekend. It seems a little "light" on celebrity appearances this year, but I guess that just gives me more time to shop in the merchandise room (and spend more money I don't really have on T-shirts/books/movies/nic nacs that I don't really need.

(wanders out, repeating to myself, "l will post more...I will post more...I will post more...")

• Love 2

I don't have HBO. Can we not talk here when the show isn't running? 

I have seen Game of Thrones, but I have to find it online, and the links don't always work. 

I've just watched the season (and most likely, series) finale of Hart of Dixie, so I've been crying more than I should over fictional characters. It's one of those that I looked forward to, as a break from all of the heavy, "we're going to shock you even MORE, next week!" shows. It has a little place in my heart along with the Gilmore Girls.

• Love 2

We can talk and there's not so much a taboo topic. This is where we mingle. Yes there are GoT threads and in depth should go there. But since we ain't live we can get around to it when we get around to it. And there wouldn't be any spoiler protection here. In GoT threads you'll get spanked. We are all friends here. No spAnky. Except brokenremote cuz of the goofballs doncha know.

Sometimes I would rather discuss stuff here. Cuz I know you guys. Over in other threads they bite your head off. They're experts in their field and know everyone that ever breathed. 47 people correct you. I'll admit for the furst year I had absolutely no idea how many damn stark children there were. I thought theon greyjoy was a brother. Did not think the youngest boy was a stark. Bran I knew but youngest youngest. I hadn't read the books. I still cannot tell you half the names. Used to think stannis boratheon was the same guy as lannister brother. There's only eleventy dozen characters! So I'm scared to open my mouth.

• Love 4

Fuck me to tears, with these people that know every bit of minutia about every single character's "sigil" before I even know their names!  It is downright intimidating (there be dragons)!  I like to let TV shows just  wash over me rather than picking the details to death, so it's all about the experience for me.  And I totally get the feeling of being a day late and a dollar short to the (forum) conversation!   :-)

At least these Small Talk threads are ASZones where we can let our freak flags fly.

• Love 3

Haha!! I don't always know what's going on, so I just gave up for a while. 

I just meant talk in general, but I'm laughing here, because I can relate. "47 people correct you." Yeah, I've dealt with that elsewhere. I'm going to see if I can get HBO for a few months. I've wanted to.

I'm glad that the thread doesn't have to stop, until the show is back on. I sometimes lose track of the conversation, but I feel like this is my "home" on Previously.tv, because I spend the most time here. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3

I think there are lulls between seasons and during hiatus but we talk a whole Buncha entertaining garbage here. We got our island to stock. Our scarves and cilantro to be evil. We get broken remote hopped up on goofballs and swat at her like a piñata. And I keep cheating on my fiancé irish nachos with various snack food. I clearly never run out of bizarre minutia to gab about. I hope we don't disappear after tomorrow. Whether it's walking dead or game of thrones I gotta have something to propel my week forward cuz otherwise it's just boring old work. I'm just a sqwiwwel working for my nut.

• Love 4

We talk a lot here over the break. More time to do the silly stuff, create the haiku and spoof scenarios, report fanconvention experiences, continue designing our ZA ultra shelter, and of course discuss our personal foibles and memories and recipes etc.

Hope to keep seeing everyone here!! <3

• Love 4

Yup, stick with us; you'll never feel alone here.  We put the diss in dysfunctional family, eh!  :-D

nachomama - I don't have any squiwwels in my yard, but I always have peanuts on hand for my scrub jays (and they don't have to work for them).

• Love 2

Fuck me to tears, with these people that know every bit of minutia about every single character's "sigil" before I even know their names!

I"m terrible with names and new characters. For quite some time I was reading about Pete and Nick and thinking, "Who the hell are they?"

• Love 1

Ooops accidently posted home video of me after I change the sheets. :D

Oh yes I barely ever knew the prison guys names. I have to think hard, who Is Oscar? Then I gotta say oh yes tdawg 2.0 and where they started the red shirt black guys.

And even if we don't watch the same stuff you'll find somebody thst does. We have many overlapping choices. We tend to be similarly warped in the head here.

• Love 2

Fuck me to tears, with these people that know every bit of minutia about every single character's "sigil" before I even know their names!  It is downright intimidating (there be dragons)!  I like to let TV shows just  wash over me rather than picking the details to death, so it's all about the experience for me.  And I totally get the feeling of being a day late and a dollar short to the (forum) conversation!   :-)

At least these Small Talk threads are ASZones where we can let our freak flags fly.

I am more than a day late - I don't get HBO so I rely on Netflix. Always at least a season behind. :(  I think I will survive and pass the time by re-watching all 4 seasons til season 5 is out on Netflix. I was so confused at the start I'm sure I missed plenty anyway. I do feel bad that I can't participate in the discussions, though.

• Love 2

My MO is to watch the episode for my own enjoyment, then read some stuff in the forums, and watch it again at least twice just to see what is apparent to everyone else who's talking about it (and isn't a blind old ninny like me, or so it seems!).  Then I marathon the shit out of the Season/whole damned show; usually more than once.  This pertains to TWD, GoT, and Breaking Bad, to name just a few.  :-)

• Love 2

We usually watch next day, but we are traveling for spring break, and I will get to watch live. Woo! I probably won't be able to be online much tonight though. Boo!

And I've never gone in the GoT forums, but yeah. There are a LOT of characters in that show. And a lot look similar.

• Love 2

Seems kind of appropriate that the laptop that's been limping since before Christmas is putting itself out of its misery right around the finale.  Since the poor thing is basically waving a white flag and begging me to put it out of its misery, I've accepted the inevitable and am, most likely, switching to an iPad in a couple of weeks (next weekend being Easter doesn't look good for shopping!)  This machine is still doing its best to get me online but the struggle has gotten longer and now I've had the screen completely freezing on me, needing to reboot, disk checks, the works.  My laptop, she is done.  I don't know if I'll be able to get online tonight but you know I'll be watching.  My birthday was on Thursday so the iPad is my birthday present to myself.  A friend of mine is a real Apple guy and he's going to come along to the store so he can advise me while checking out something called an iWatch (I am spectacularly ill-informed about tech stuff)  I'm excited about getting my hands on an iPad.  It looks like it'll be compatible with my needs - basically emailing and hanging out here!  My needs are simple.  So if I'm not around, that's why.   

• Love 1

Good luck with iPad. The watch seems like a waste of money (don't tell your friend) I just can't imagine needing that badly. I also don't contain that kinda money.

I dunno if it Would work like this for an iwatch but I cannot wear watches with batteries. I suck the juice outta them. My first watch was a snoopy wind up watch when I was 9. Had it for years. When I needed a grown up watch got one and somehow lost it in a flooded baseball field. Got in trouble for losing it (dude I was out there rolling tarps over the field I didn't notice if it fell off ) somebody got me one as a gift. Battery dead within a day. I chalked it up to she worked at the store, stashed it in a secret place so that it would go into the mark down bin thus the battery ran itself out. Changed the battery. Dead within a day again. Exchanged it. Dead within a day. I said wtf going on? I Drain batteries. It's my super power. But haven't owned a watch for many years.

• Love 3

Oooh, our border collie mix hates squirrels...she chases them, but can never catch them (and I hope she never does! Eek!). On the other hand, she adores cats. I think she would be so happy if we bought her her own kitten. She would love it and cuddle it and squeeze it and name it George.

My SO is really into his new smoking (of the meats variety, not the cigarette variety) obsession. We went to the butcher yesterday and he scored some.....KANGAROO filets! So that's what we'll be eating for our TWD dinner. 'Roo.

And I love my iPad. Got the first generation Air last spring. I use it way more than my 5 year old laptop.

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 2

When GoT starts back up again, please don't talk about specifics here, or hint things like, "Wow, I didn't think there'd be that many deaths! Can you believe what Tyrion did?" I can't watch GoT live, and I don't want to be spoiled in one of my Small Talk homes. If you feel you'll all be chatting GoT specifics here, let me know and I'll have to avoid this thread until I've seen the show...like I avoid twitter, tumblr, etc. for that day. :/

Walking Dead is the same kind of thing, by the way. I can't watch until Monday morning, so social media is off limits and I this is the only WD thread I'll visit until I've seen the episode.

• Love 3

When GoT starts back up again, please don't talk about specifics here, or hint things like, "Wow, I didn't think there'd be that many deaths! Can you believe what Tyrion did?" 

Not to worry - if I ever talk about GoT here it will probably be, "Why does Tyrion have the same scene 10 times an episode when I barely see my favorites," or, "Fuck off Littlefinger." 

I'm jealous of you live viewers of anything. Too many small children here to watch anything until after they are in bed. I never have to watch commercials, though.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

I don't have HBO Canada/The Movie Network any more so I'm going to be watching Game of Thrones at my friend's place the Saturday after it airs.  I have read all the novels though so I can't scream about spoilers!  I am excited to hear that the show is moving on and away from the books though.  I've been waiting years between books so I'm over George Martin.  Stephen Erickson finished all ten books in his excellent Malazan Book of the Fallen series in less time.  I do owe Martin though for being the gateway to the series I discovered since reading the first Game of Thrones back sometime in the early 2000s (I read the first two in paperback and then waited a couple of months for the third one - little did I know!)  I moved on to Erickson, Joe Abercrombie, the late Terry Pratchett.  I fell in love with Fantasy because of George Martin.

Yep, I'm still online.  I've got the little laptop that could right here!!

Edited by Irishmaple
  • Love 3

I'm jealous of you live viewers of anything. Too many small children here to watch anything until after they are in bed. I never have to watch commercials, though.

You're doing it all wrong. The way we all got here was our parents didn't filter Anything. I was reading dirty hooker books when I was 8. Watching monster movies. My dad was calling the house looking for his lighter in the middle of the night. I looked and looked and "yelled wtf so Effin special bout that effin lighter" and he questioned where I got the f word. When the lighter said " I heart 2 screw" and I'm conpleeeeeeeeetely normal. You peel their lil eyeballs open and show em Noah. There will be screaming at first but soon you'll have tough lil monsters. :D you're welcome. I'm absotively posolutely normal. NOR-Mal :D :D :D

• Love 4

I had a horror of eyeballs after my parents allowed me to watch an inappropriate movie at an impressionable age.  I still remember the scene that scarred me for life: hero was skulking through mad scientist's lab and passed by a jar of eyeballs, all of which turned to follow his movement.  Freaked the fuck out!  I was warped in Ireland so it was probably some Hammer House of Horror movie.  The first time I had to put in contacts lens I nearly threw up because Eyeballs.  It took me almost an hour! 

• Love 4

I don't know if I'll be able to get online tonight but you know I'll be watching.. So if I'm not around, that's why.   

Hang on! Stay with us! Don't let go! Stay away from the light!

We will miss you if you can't be here but sending superpowers waves to help you make it at least till midnight! (When your laptop turns into a pumpkin)

You didn't let nachomama rub up against it, did you?

• Love 1

Ha! I hear you, nachomama. The oldest of three just turned 7, so he's got a year until the hooker books. He is very fascinated with zombies, but does not want to see them.

The scariest thing they've seen so far is the face-melting scene in Raiders and they all still cover their eyes when the Emperor is on for too long (starting them with the classics)! We're working on some Doctor Who at the moment.

They're all well-grounded with fiction vs. reality, but they're pretty squeamish. Kids theses days!

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

I used to love the face melting scene.

Apparently used to love Dirty Harry movies too. I remember nothing about them now but I would come running if Clint Eastwood was on tv. (Can't stand him now) I think I thought all his movies had a monkey in them. Right turn Clyde.

I'm worried those lil kobi won't make the cut on the island. Think about it. They gotta measure up to carl. Can they stab you in the cranium of the time comes? No coddling.

• Love 2