Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

• Start Topic

I don't know which version I read, it was pretty honking big. And I was reading something else called the "Swan"? I think with an eerily similar plot line, some virus had wiped out most of mankind, so these brave few go traveling towards whatever destiny and some have these new powers. etc. 

My lucid dreaming moment was September 11th. I know I was not asleep, I was zombiefied watching endless news channels. Somewhere in there I got this...We all received the news that the world was ending. They were very calm and matter of fact about it. Dr. Joyce Brothers was on the tv describing to us how we should cope and all kinds of scientists were describing what and why it was happening. There were chemical explosions on the sun and it had exponentially sped up global warming so now the sun was actually burning off our oxygen and we were gonna slowly suffocate. And they knew exactly how long we had for certain things. How long cars, planes etc would continue to run so go be with your family. All transportation was free. People started crashing planes into the ground, fedex and ups planes I saw. Dr. Brothers telling us we are basically going to go to sleep and not wake up. It was very calm. I was awake but I was not. I knew what was really happening. Anyway the freaky thing is if I had written it all down I swear the science would have made sense, I knew the names of the gases and what kind of explosions were occurring. I knew how an internal combustion engine worked! trust me, these are not things I know. I took it as a sign of optimism that by Friday of that week, I dreamed I was on the Pennsylvania plane and I went ninja on the hijackers. Took up the seat cushions and had them as shields on my arms and chest and we were basically sling shotting people at the hijackers. Probably wouldn't have worked but I had a plan. 

I don't have nightmares. I'm a lucid dreamer. I've been able to do it since I was a little little kid. I've always known when I'm dreaming, and when bad stuff starts happening my brain kicks in with oh God this is ridiculous.

I honestly cannot imagine what a nightmare is like.

What about dreams where you start to fall and jerk awake? Hate those.

• Love 3

I'm always having stress dreams about high school and graduate school. At least once a week, I'd say. ETA: I've been out of grad school for almost eight years now!

I haven't read a lot of Stephen King, but I like the guy. Factoid about him: he loves Corgis. He has had a number of Corgis in his adult life. Currently he has an adorable little tri-colored girl named Molly. He sometimes posts pictures on his FB page. A Corgi is also in his Under the Dome novel (not in the crap miniseries, though).

SK loves Corgis, I love Corgis! We should be friends!

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 2

Under The Dome (the show) is the crappiest crap to ever crap, at least since The Event ended, and I will yet again be watching it this summer.

Someone please help me.

As someone who sat through the Tommyknockers movie, The Stand miniseries, etc...I gave up on the Dome show pretty quickly!

• Love 3

I agree that Under the Dome is the crappiest crap that ever crapped, so much so that I couldn't even hate watch it.  Ugh.

'It' the book scared me but the movie didn't.  I still have an aversion towards clowns, though.  I used to love Stephen King books until he got so high and mighty that he could demand not to have editors.  Now, he's just an overblown wind bag and I think Tommyknockers was the last book I read, too.  I've read 'The Stand' many times over and have both versions of the book.  The edited version is the best in my opinion.

I watched a movie several years ago about this group of people who spend a few days in a haunted house.  There was a scene where this woman was in bed with her hand hanging over the edge and something starts holding then squeezing her hand.  I still can't sleep with my hand hanging out of the bed it scared me so much! They made a crappy remake of it with Owen Wilson a few years back but I can't remember the name of it.

I also used to love the Creature Features and there was a show that came on every afternoon after school that I watched every day.  I used to go to the movies to see them, too, and remember when they had the gimmicks.  You know "Don't watch this movie if you have a heart condition!" type of thing.  And I remember this one time there was some movie that had apes in it and the promotion was that the ape would come right out of the screen and what happened was some guy in an ape costume would jump out from behind the screen at a certain point in the movie and everyone would scream and run!  Ah, the good old days.

Nachomama, I think I would have enjoyed meeting your mother.  She seems pretty cool to me.

Edited by NurseGiGi
  • Love 4

I don't have nightmares.  I'm a lucid dreamer.  I've been able to do it since I was a little little kid.  I've always known when I'm dreaming, and when bad stuff starts happening my brain kicks in with oh God this is ridiculous.

I honestly cannot imagine what a nightmare is like.

Lucky you :)

• Love 2

I got a free copy of The Stand after one of my room-mates got to the plot twist with the "hand of God", evaluated it as absolute crap (he was right about that part) and threw the book across the room and said anyone who wanted it could keep it.  That was the original version, I read the longer rewrite eventually and though there were some new parts I appreciated, overall the shorter version of the book was better.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

If it's okay to talk Stephen King here, I think Tim Curry as Pennywise was really creepy in It. I thought the book was really scary too but I remember being very put off by the plot point of having the girl have sex with all the guys in order to empower them (really?) to defeat the spider (yeah, really a spider?). At least that is how I remember it, it has been a long time.

• Love 2

Under The Dome (the show) is the crappiest crap to ever crap, at least since The Event ended, and I will yet again be watching it this summer. 

Someone please help me.

I feel your pain.  I broke the cycle at the end of last season and didn't watch the last couple of episodes.

What about dreams where you start to fall and jerk awake? Hate those.

Still have those.  They happen to quick for me to think "oh I'm not tripping, I'm dreaming".  That's pretty much how it works.  Like the aforementioned school nightmares, like you didn't study or you are in your underwear....I'll start having one of those and then think Oh for fuck's sake this would never happen.  

• Love 3

This is the random topic/meet market thread. So yes we can talk stephen king or what you had for breakfast. Or do you happen to own any scarves? Do you like cilantro or not? The answer to that one is very important.

Technically we have walking dead in common but we are discovering how we became this warped. It's a support group.

• Love 8

I agree that Under the Dome is the crappiest crap that ever crapped, so much so that I couldn't even hate watch it. Ugh.

I watched a movie several years ago about this group of people who spend a few days in a haunted house. There was a scene where this woman was in bed with her hand hanging over the edge and something starts holding then squeezing her hand. I still can't sleep with my hand hanging out of the bed it scared me so much! They made a crappy remake of it with Owen Wilson a few years back but I can't remember the name of it.

My SO and I hate-watched UtD for the first season. I had no desire to start the second season, but he said, "Maybe it will be better." During the second episode, he turned it off and we haven't watched it since.

The movie with the crappy remake was The Haunting, by the way. Although I don't remember the hand squeezing in the original, it was also in the remake (maybe it was a scene with the dreadful scenery-chewing Catherine Zeta Jones).

I like cilantro.

Edited by Disraeli Ears
  • Love 2

I got a free copy of The Stand after one of my room-mates got to the plot twist with the "hand of God", evaluated it as absolute crap (he was right about that part) and threw the book across the room and said anyone who wanted it could keep it.  That was the original version, I read the longer rewrite eventually and though there were some new parts I appreciated, overall the shorter version of the book was better.

RE the "new parts" - the one which stands (no pun intended) out to me the strongest was the Wolfman:

• The expanded version laid out a very nice backstory, very complete, well-written.  After reading it, however, I realized I much preferred the original presentation - a singular compelling scene which left the characters' (AND the readers') imaginations full range to wonder what all had transpired to result in this tableau.
  • I also found the absence of explanation in the earlier edition to be a much more realistic portrayal of life in the post-apocalypse.  All over the planet one might encounter countless similar scenes - and guess what?  You're not going to get a nice, neat, wrapped-up-in-a-bow summation to satisfy your idle curiosity.  You're not going to learn the story behind this tale of apparent heroism, or that tale of apparent cowardice - because nobody is left alive who knows the truth of the tale.  All that is left is the frozen moment of their fate, and your flights of fancy as to what led them to it.

Summary: the expanded version may be more detailed, but the original version left the reader's imagination much more room to take flight.  My opinion, anyway.

• Love 2

If it's okay to talk Stephen King here, I think Tim Curry as Pennywise was really creepy in It. I thought the book was really scary too but I remember being very put off by the plot point of having the girl have sex with all the guys in order to empower them (really?) to defeat the spider (yeah, really a spider?). At least that is how I remember it, it has been a long time.

OMG, I had forgotten about that part of the story (the sex part)!  How could I have forgotten that and yes, I felt the same way.  I loved the book up until the whole ending scenario (including the sex) and thought the spider was ridiculous.  It felt like he spent so much time on the rest of the book and the build up and then didn't know how to end it.  I don't know what I was expecting at the end but definitely not a giant spider.

• Love 4

Oh another way you can tell if people are evil is if they like cilantro. Cilantro is evil. It tastes like soap.

It's barely tolerable in spicy salsa, and is allegedly good for the liver, so I'm increasing my salsa consumption.  ;-)

Stephen King and Dean Koontz were my horror novel boyfriends.  Many years ago my neighbor went to the same barber as Koontz and had a book signed for me by him. 

• Love 2

Sometimes I wonder if some of those plot twists like a giant spider weren't just when he was really heavily drinking. 

I would think you could get the liver benefits using coriander seeds rather than the evil dreaded cilantro. I say legalize weed weed and make cilantro illegal! 

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 5

I like a bit of cilantro, used judiciously.  But too much is just too much.

I tried to watch "The Dome", but just couldn't get into it.  I plan to read the book though, as I understand it's much better than the show.  But I haven't read a lot of SK.  I spend my time reading more murder mysteries than horror/thriller type books.  I did enjoy "The Stand" though.

And I had oatmeal for breakfast and I own a ton of scarves.  ;)

• Love 2

It is undetermined whether oatmeal makes you evil or not. I will get back to you on that. 

If you took a leaf of cilantro and placed it in some dough and you proceeded to roll said dough out, thinner and thinner, the cilantro grows as well. IT IS THE MARK OF THE DEVIL.  Father Gabriel loves cilantro. If Rosemary (and I hate rosemary too, its twigs, people, twigs!!!!) had left him cilantro he would have fallen on his knees and licked it. 

• Love 1

I'm sticking by my cilantro in tomatillo soup, but it is a bitch and a half to cut once wet.

A nice departure for King, other than some of his more recent ones, is Eyes of the Dragon. And the short stories are almost always good.

Oatmeal may not be evil, but I don't trust people who insist plain oatmeal tastes good and isn't some form of torture. 

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

Keep an eye on that morgankobi, he's cutting soup. I think he got into brokenremotes goofballs. Probly got an entire closet devoted to scarves. 

We used to eat oatmeal at my gramma's. Very blah. I went through a year where I ate oatmeal for breakfast every day for health reasons. Lowers cholesterol, yada yada and I only like cinnamon & brown sugar flavor. I don't want no lil apples or raisins in it. Raisins are more evil than cilantro. I need to make ya'll a list because clearly you don't know which foods lead you down the path to hell. 

• Love 3

I make my steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and a touch of brown sugar.  Cooked with milk, instead of water.  It's luscious.  And delicious.

I leave out the nutmeg, but add a big ol' blob of butter. :)

• Love 4

Keep an eye on that morgankobi, he's cutting soup. I think he got into brokenremotes goofballs. Probly got an entire closet devoted to scarves. 

Haha! OK, you caught my murky sentence structure...but I have to agree, soup is hard to cut.

If you guys are adding enough stuff to your oatmeal so you don't taste it anymore, I'm on board!

Raisins are evil, too? I do need a list.

• Love 2

Oatmeal may not be evil, but I don't trust people who insist plain oatmeal tastes good and isn't some form of torture.

It's still better than cream of wheat *runs gagging from the room*.  I don't care for  plain porridge, but I don't like adding sugar to it or any cereal and if it's a dry cereal that is sweet I'll eat it dry like chips or candy but I can't stand it wet. Gross! I do like throwing nuts, seeds and fruit into porridge. I tend to have Red River cereal more often than oatmeal.

I like cilantro, but I know that some people taste and smell something in it that I'm not sensitive to, not unlike the way some people have trouble with bitter flavours in cruciferous vegetable. So, cilantro and raisins plus I eat Brussels sprouts..hmmm  I'm Evil! 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 1

Now the evilest evil food that ever did evil is eggs. I can only eat eggs scrambled where you put so much cheese, picante sauce, mushrooms, onions, hashbrowns and kitchen sinks that they no longer taste like eggs. And if a person near me were to get some sunny side up and be all dipping toast in their yolk...those people shoes would be painted with hurl. :D

Here's how you eat cereal, I think we have gone over it before, but there are people who need these lists or else they going to hell. Two bowls, I actually do one bowl and one coffee cup. One has milk, one has cereal and only a spoonful at a time of cereal goes into the milk. or the spoon docks in the milk bowl to take on just enough milk for the cereal passengers. Preferably said cereal is Cap'n Crunch, it is never NEVER raisin bran, because, duh, raisins are evil. And one does not under any circumstances drink the leftover milk. That is an atrocity. 

I was that weird kid that loved beets, spinach and Brussels sprouts.  Still love them.  And I have to admit to liking raisins.  I also love Cream of Wheat and Farina.  And eggs.  I eat a lot of eggs, both scrambled and fried (the runnier the better).

So sue me.

• Love 3

This is the random topic/meet market thread. So yes we can talk stephen king or what you had for breakfast. Or do you happen to own any scarves? Do you like cilantro or not? The answer to that one is very important.

Technically we have walking dead in common but we are discovering how we became this warped. It's a support group.

Ahhhhh, I'm home. Thank you thank you thank you. Warped plenty :)

• Love 2

And, lo, Ocean Chick said, "so sue me, " and it came to pass.

Welp, I'm going straight to hell (or at least not eating next to nachomama) because I love, love dipping my toast in runny egg! And I'm gonna have to say that the road to hell is very likely paved with the shredded roofs of people's mouths after eating Capt'n Crunch. Evil!

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 6

And if a person near me were to get some sunny side up and be all dipping toast in their yolk...those people shoes would be painted with hurl

Whatchootalkin' about? The yolk is my dessert! I eat all the white first, then savour that yolk. Mmmm....Love eggs, every which way except poached.

I was that weird kid that loved beets, spinach and Brussels sprouts.

Wouldn't touch them as a kid, LOVE them now.

• Love 2

I need a symbol like a vampire hates crosses, I need my protection from egg yolks. 

I've always loved my green veggies, spinach, broccoli, green beans. no peas. I'll eat a brussel sprout. everything's better with cheese though. and bacon. I have a cross made out of bacon to protect me! damn, I ate it. I NEED ANOTHER CROSS MADE OUT OF BACON.

• Love 2

My children are second generation lovers of Popeye, starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall in the role she was born to play. Even though my kids have never been picky eaters and like their veggies, there's nothing like a goofy Robert Altman musical to encourage spinach intake.

My dad loved Popeye. And Woody Woodpecker, he could do a very good woody, porky pig and donald duck. My dad had the speech impediment cartoons covered. He also made excellent breakfasts. He made biscuits. I would eat his scrambled eggs. He also had his own barbeque sauce, yummy, and he wanted to open his own restaurant. George's OMC. any guesses?

Edited by nachomama
  • Love 2

My children are second generation lovers of Popeye, starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall in the role she was born to play. Even though my kids have never been picky eaters and like their veggies, there's nothing like a goofy Robert Altman musical to encourage spinach intake.

My friend told his daughters that One Direction eat lots of veg.

• Love 1

It's barely tolerable in spicy salsa, and is allegedly good for the liver, so I'm increasing my salsa consumption.  ;-)

Stephen King and Dean Koontz were my horror novel boyfriends.  Many years ago my neighbor went to the same barber as Koontz and had a book signed for me by him. 

I read more Koontz when I was younger, as well as John Saul. I think that was his name. Michael Crichton was another one. 

"Watchers" is my favourite from Dean Koontz.

• Love 2

I read more Koontz when I was younger, as well as John Saul. I think that was his name. Michael Crichton was another one. 

"Watchers" is my favourite from Dean Koontz.

I liked all Koontz' books that had a good doggie, Anela.  :-)

• Love 1

I shiver just thinking what I ate at my Grandparent's house when the 'rents farmed us out to go help them in the spring/end of summer.  Enisi didn't play, you ate what was put in front of you and these people had never been to a grocery store in their life.

• Love 3