Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 9 March 2017 at 4:13 PM, BkWurm1 said:

Since we are asking questions, do you do your laundry in the kitchen?  How does your refrigerator compare to what you see in Arrow? Also, have you ever bathed in a tub that you bring into the kitchen?  That later one may not be so much an Australian thing, but I saw it in a show once and all I remember was the accent.  

Hahaha it's always funny to see how other people view Australia.

I know that a couple of years ago Australia was the country that had the biggest average houses in the world, and separate laundry rooms are pretty standard.

i remember the lack of a kettle thing when I lived in America and it threw me a little. Most people I know would be horrified at the idea of boiling water in a microwave, especially to make tea because even using tea bags people tend to be quite particular when it comes to tea.

What about clothes lines? I would say most Australian homes have both dryers and clothes lines are sometimes iconic here, with the Hills Hoist designed here.

18 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Perhaps the uncertainty in real life explains why the superhero genre flourishes.  They're the only way to get a happy ending.

Except too often even those stories don't come with a happy ending.  

You can say that again. I tuned into Captain America: Civil War for that reason and I just came away sad from the experience. I mean, it wasn't a horrid ending, but certainly not the experience I was hoping for.

• Love 1

I see a lot more unhappy or ambiguous endings out there now. Or maybe I just tend to gravitate to more intense and sad shows/movies. But perhaps I need to give it a little more time for the bad to set in and then I'll see abundance of happy endings again?? Or I'll just head to the Hallmark channel. That's where I spent most of Dec & Jan to counterbalance the real life sadness that was in the world.

I do think superheros are predicated on people looking for hope and happy resolutions to big world problems. I do think that is why the DC movies sometimes don't do as well, because they tend to go for dark & sad, even in the resolution. Whereas for the most part Marvel finishes off a little happier or focus more on the positive. I do think Cpt America Civil War was a little darker than usual, but I think that is because Chris Evans wants out, so they were finishing off that character/actor act with a bang. Same thing with Logan, Hugh Jackman is done, so the movie went all out.

I find it fascinating to see how real life impacts entertainment & what is the sociologically impact of then of those entertainment programs. Its so interesting to me how intertwined they become. I used to love writing papers on real life issues and topics and linking it back to movie/tv/musics. Those were my favorite projects & courses, how media impacts stuff and vice versa. It's really a symbiotic relationship.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, FurryFury said:

Too bad the pilot was so horribly boring... not to mention no memorable female characters...

The Expanse takes some time before it really gets going. I think the first few episodes had so much world building going on, it lost track of the story for a bit. But like @Sasha, it's also one of my favourite shows right now (the general consensus on The Expanse board seems to be that around episode five the story really takes off). As for female characters, Chrisjen and Naomi get really interesting the further the story goes. So does

Spoiler

Julie

but that's a bit of a spoiler ;)

I loved (and has always loved) the ending of And Then There Were None. If they had gone any other way than the book ending, I would have been very disappointed. Like I was when they changed Cards on the Table, another Christie favourite. (Funnily enough, I had no problem with how they changed a lot of things in the Miss Marple-series. Those were always a bit closer to the cosy-crime genre than her standalones and Poirot-stories. The newish Moving Finger with Geraldine McEwan and James D'Arcy is both crime and pretty 50s love story and one I watch whenever I want something sweet-but-not-too-sweet).  Christie really was a master of depicting the psychological twists and turns of the human mind. In the An Then There Were None novel,

Spoiler

the judge himself admits that he's a psychopathic sadist, but has learned to (like Dexter) to channel the need to hurt people through the legal system. That's why he kills himself in the end. (That, and the fact he's dying from cancer).

If you guys liked And Then There Were None, you should definitely check out The Witness for the Prosecution from the same team of writers. But it is really dark. Like seriously, depressingly dark. They're also doing Ordeal by Innocence this year (redone as a Marple-story a couple of years ago with the illegally handsome Richard Armitage in one of the main roles).

I just bought Chelsea Cain's Mockingbird comic. It's awesome. I miss Bobbi Morse on Agents of Shield...

Edited by feverfew
to clarify a few things
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MaisyDaisy said:

Hahaha it's always funny to see how other people view Australia.

I know that a couple of years ago Australia was the country that had the biggest average houses in the world, and separate laundry rooms are pretty standard.

i remember the lack of a kettle thing when I lived in America and it threw me a little. Most people I know would be horrified at the idea of boiling water in a microwave, especially to make tea because even using tea bags people tend to be quite particular when it comes to tea.

What about clothes lines? I would say most Australian homes have both dryers and clothes lines are sometimes iconic here, with the Hills Hoist designed here.

The only time we ever really used a clothes line was for airing out damp sleeping bags after camping and during the summer the dryer was wonky and my dad was sure he could fix it himself, lol.  

I did grow up next door to a family that had a dryer but only really used it in the winter and on rainy days, just plain preferring to line dry and that was in a kind of fancy zip code.  They also cut their lawn with a push lawn mower (no engine, just turning blades), the dad alternated running and biking the ten miles to his work at the University, and the mom was pushing rice cakes and granola bars DECADES before anyone in their right mind wanted to buy let alone eat either of those things.     

• Love 1

My Grandma and Uncles use clothes lines. Dryers in bad weather, but generally always on the line, even in the winter (although its a little more temperate in Pennsylvania). It's the crisp wind and fresh air smell that my Grandma always loved.

I grew up with a dryer. But we always hung a good portion of our clothes on clothes racks in the house or in the bathroom on the shower rod. Sometimes, I prefer not to use the dryer - it makes me feel a little like I'm saving the environment or at least on the electric bill. Plus it saves on ironing. And when I paid to use a dryer per use, I definitely hung as much as possible to avoid the cost. My bedroom became quite the site with improvised hanging spots.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

We have the old Hills Hoist @MaisyDaisy

We rarely use it though because the birds poop on the clothes so we use clothes racks and let them dry on the back deck.

I'm too cheap and hippy to use the dryer. Only in the dead of winter when it won't stop raining. 

Ahhh rice cakes! I've got them in my go bag right now for the preschooler. The staple kids snack!

• Love 1
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Ahhh rice cakes! I've got them in my go bag right now for the preschooler. The staple kids snack!

Lol.  Gotta start them young before they know better.  ;)  I have a similar opinion on Cheerios.  

I loved my clothes line until  we changed the back of the house and I lost it.  The smell of clothes dried in the sunshine beats any artificial product and I still use a small clothes rack in the summer.  I only use the dryer for towels because otherwise they dry stiff unless you put vinegar in the second rinse.

I love the 1957 version of Witness for the Prosecution.  Directed by Billy Wilder and adapted by him neand Larry Kurnitz from from Agatha Christie's script, Tyrone Power as the man on trial, Marlene Dietrich as Christine, Charles Laughton as the barrister and Laughton's wife Elsa Lanchester was his nurse.  It's a bunch of old troupers have a great time.

ETA:  Cheerios are a recommended food for toddlers learning to feed themselves.  It teaches them motor coordination as they try to pick up the small O's.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

So I watched Time After Time, and as I type that I really want to hear the 80s hit - that did not happen this episode. Looks like we're headed to the 80s next week, so fingers crossed it's playing in some random shop.

I still liked it, but it was not as good as previous episodes. I don't like the side story of the guy in the black hat (although that might have resolved itself) & the red head. They seem like important distractions, but I'd rather just focus on Wells & Ripper - not these devious forces trying to take them down.

Also, how many people know about this time machine?

Spoiler

Will Chase's character (sorry I forget his name), but him knowing about it and making that phone call was a twist I don't think I needed or wanted.

It seems like far too many, But perhaps that is because HG or someone has messed too much with the timeline. There are just too many conspiracies floating around right now for my liking. I don't quite know what I should be focusing on.

Also, I want to make a change to my previous post. Jane doesn't remind me of Tinah, she reminds me of a cross between McKenna & BM in her facial features. Sidenote - I think they are moving to quickly on the Love Story between Jane & HG.

Loved the Coldplay & Crossfit jokes.

Edited by kismet

ETA:  Cheerios are a recommended food for toddlers learning to feed themselves.  It teaches them motor coordination as they try to pick up the small O's.

I just need the manufactures to come up with motor coordinating O's that don't IMO smell like soggy dog chow.  ;) 

Have you tried Honey Nut Cheerios or the Multi-Grain ones??? Those are great. Totally see the hand-eye coordination skill building.

Interesting, Cheerios is one of the only cereals that I can have with milk because it holds up. Most of the time I have to eat cereal dry, because I can't do soggy cereal.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, kismet said:

Have you tried Honey Nut Cheerios or the Multi-Grain ones??? Those are great. Totally see the hand-eye coordination skill building.

Interesting, Cheerios is one of the only cereals that I can have with milk because it holds up. Most of the time I have to eat cereal dry, because I can't do soggy cereal.

All the toddlers have grown up so it's moot now.  But I will keep those variety's in mind.  

I've hated Cheerieos since I was a kid but then I'm not great with most cereals.  I think Rice Krispies is the only one I like right now, but I understand your soggy cereal dilemma.  I usually use a glass and do multiple small portions and eat fast so it doesn't go soggy.   Once they stop poppin' you know your time is up.   

Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Weetbix is the Aussie cereal of choice for kids. I chugger on it and so does my kid! It's gross!

I feel a bit sorry for the kids of today. No TV and no sugar! We had it good back in the day!

My mom was anti-sugar cereal.  Took us years before we convinced her to buy some (as a desert) and then we were horrified that it wasn't sugary enough, lol.  Cookie Crisp does not taste like chocolate chip cookies in milk.  Getting a bunch of mini cookies and eating them like cereal is still on my bucket list.   

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

My mom was anti-sugar cereal.  Took us years before we convinced her to buy some (as a desert) and then we were horrified that it wasn't sugary enough, lol.  Cookie Crisp does not taste like chocolate chip cookies in milk.  Getting a bunch of mini cookies and eating them like cereal is still on my bucket list.   

My parents are horrified at the way my poor kid is raised! They're like "Why are you so mean, we gave you lollies and let you watch TV?"

My dream was to eat a giant creme caramel (I think you guys call it flan). One new year's eve I made one the size of a cake and ate it in one sitting.  Hubby was hovering around telling me "Omg you're going to die after all that baked egg."

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

My parents are horrified at the way my poor kid is raised! They're like "Why are you so mean, we gave you lollies and let you watch TV?"

My dream was to eat a giant creme caramel (I think you guys call it flan). One new year's eve I made one the size of a cake and ate it in one sitting.  Hubby was hovering around telling me "Omg you're going to die after all that baked egg."

If you gave them lollies and let them watch TV what would be the fun of going to the Grandparent's house?  ;)

• Love 3

I grew up in a no sugary cereal household and it was ok with me. Honey-Nut Cheerios was the only one allowed for the longest time. Luckily the Frosted Mini-Wheats that I would munch on while I was driving to high school, had 90% of DV of Iron, so they got around the no sugar cereal rule. I never liked that over sweet milk at the end when I ate sugary cereals elsewhere, so I didn't mind.

I do eat Lucky Charms as a treat now though. I buy it to snack on it dry all the time. It's so good, so long as it never sees milk.

• Love 1

Watched American Crime for the first time ever. Was going to pass again but the subject matter of migrant farmers and sex trafficking seemed intriguing. I couldn't handle the other sensitive subject matters they covered in s1 & s2. And then I saw the Janel Moloney was in this season, so I had to watch it. I'm so glad I did. It was really good. The material matter is heavy, but I also feel its timely. And the cast is exceptional, so how could I pass up a well written, well directed and well acted drama that makes me think? Especially when it was already on the TV.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kismet said:

I grew up in a no sugary cereal household and it was ok with me. Honey-Nut Cheerios was the only one allowed for the longest time. Luckily the Frosted Mini-Wheats that I would munch on while I was driving to high school, had 90% of DV of Iron, so they got around the no sugar cereal rule. I never liked that over sweet milk at the end when I ate sugary cereals elsewhere, so I didn't mind.

I do eat Lucky Charms as a treat now though. I buy it to snack on it dry all the time. It's so good, so long as it never sees milk.

I soooo badly want to go to the States and go nuts in your supermarkets! I seriously could just spend a day checking out the shelves to see what you have stocked.

I've done it all over Asia and I love finding things I can't get in Australia. I once carried home a back pack full of cake tins and cupcake cases from Singapore. Would love to hit the US one day when the kidlet is older. 

• Love 2

Bit of trivia about the real H.G. Wells...

In 1891, Wells married his cousin, Isabel Mary Wells, but the union didn't last. Wells soon took up with Amy Catherine "Jane" Robbins and the pair married in 1895 after he officially divorced Isabel. He and Jane had two children together, sons George Philip and Frank.

http://www.biography.com/people/hg-wells-39224#death-and-legacy

In 1891, Wells married his cousin Isabel Mary Wells. The couple agreed to separate in 1894 when he fell in love with one of his students, Amy Catherine Robbins (later known as Jane), with whom he moved to Woking, Surrey in May 1895. ... With his wife Jane's consent, Wells had affairs with a number of women, including the American birth control activist Margaret Sanger, adventurer and writer Odette Keun, Soviet spy Moura Budberg and novelist Elizabeth von Arnim.[22] In 1909 he had a daughter, Anna-Jane, with the writer Amber Reeves,[23] whose parents, William and Maud Pember Reeves, he had met through the Fabian Society; and in 1914 a son, Anthony West (1914–1987), by the novelist and feminist Rebecca West, 26 years his junior.[24] In Experiment in Autobiography (1934), Wells wrote: "I was never a great amorist, though I have loved several people very deeply".[25] David Lodge's novel A Man of Parts (2011) – a 'narrative based on factual sources' (author's note) – gives a convincing and generally sympathetic account of Wells's relations with the women mentioned above, and others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells#Personal_life

In the 1979 Time After Time movie starring Malcom McDowell,

Spoiler

H.G. Wells meets a modern woman named Amy Robbins (played by Mary Steenburgen) in present day and, at the end of the movie, takes her back with him to his time.

In the new Time After Time tv series, the female lead is named Jane Walker.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, MaisyDaisy said:

I don't have a kettle. I really think that's a hot tea thing, which most Americans don't drink. I know I don't, bleh.

No clothes line, it rains too much where I live. And when it's not raining, it's still too humid. Drying clothes outside would take forever. One hour through the dryer is much faster.

Oh, here's a thing that's not even a vs. Other Countries thing, it varies even in America: basements. I think that's the single most asked question I get when someone asks about hurricanes: why don't we hunker down in our basement? Answer: We don't have them in Texas because the water table is too high. A basement would just be an indoor swimming pool.

Is the water table too high in all of Texas or just parts of it.?

People here have been known to move into their basements in the summer because it's cooler.  A lot cooler if you don't have central air conditioniong.

My parents were European so breakfast was a slice of bread and butter with a slice of deli meat or a boiled eat until my father had a heart attack and they started eating oatmeal, which I hated. I was traumatized by the hospital where I got my tonsils out. I was expecting ice cream after the operation and they gave me oatmeal.

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Bit of trivia about the real H.G. Wells...

, Wells wrote: "I was never a great amorist, though I have loved several people very deeply".[25] David Lodge's novel A Man of Parts (2011) – a 'narrative based on factual sources' (author's note) – gives a convincing and generally sympathetic account of Wells's relations with the women mentioned above, and others.

That's eight women at my count that he had serious relationships with.  His wives must have been saints.

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I soooo badly want to go to the States and go nuts in your supermarkets! I seriously could just spend a day checking out the shelves to see what you have stocked.

What we don't have here are Tim Tams!  I love Tim Tams but the last importer into Canada closed up shop a few years ago and now it's impossible to get them here.

Edited by statsgirl

I love Hot Tea, I drink it every day, I will only drink Iced Coffee in the summer and that's with a LOT of milk and sugar. 

I use my Tea Pot for a lot of things, making tea, making Hot Cocoa, making Jello, etc

I love going to the UK and getting asked if I want Tea. Here in the US I always have to request Tea, since every restaurant or party/event assumes you're going to drink coffee.

17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Is the water table too high in all of Texas or just parts of it.?

Most of it. Certainly the parts that tend to get hit by hurricanes.

As a typical American, I don't drink tea, but I'm also atypical in that I don't drink coffee either. I actually don't like hot beverages much at all. Throw some ice in it or on it while it's in a can/bottle, and I'm all set.

It's the Houston area that gets hit the most often by hurricanes. South Texas not so much. I can't even remember the last time they got one (my mother lives down there, so it tends to register with me).

Anyone have any budget-friendly spa vacation recs for North America? None of those nightmare 1000-calorie no-alcohol places where you hike 15 miles a day. Think pampering more than boot camp. :) The BFF and I are researching a trip around May. 

2 minutes ago, MariaHill said:

Anyone have any budget-friendly spa vacation recs for North America? None of those nightmare 1000-calorie no-alcohol places where you hike 15 miles a day. Think pampering more than boot camp. :) The BFF and I are researching a trip around May. 

Calistoga up in Napa is an old-style spa town,. There's a lot of places there, all connected to the hot springs.  I'm not sure how budget you want, but I went to this less-fancy once and it had great volcanic ash mud baths and a hot spring pool: https://www.indianspringscalistoga.com/

I don't know how much relaxation you want, but this place has a nice balance of spa amenities and forced hikes. :-)

http://www.redmountainresort.com/retreat-packages

7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

What we don't have here are Tim Tams!  I love Tim Tams but the last importer into Canada closed up shop a few years ago and now it's impossible to get them here.

Oooh what flavours do you eat? Did they stock the original flavours or all the wacky stuff too? They've done a whole range of unique flavours here. Most are not very good. Cannot beat the original!

17 minutes ago, thenj said:

LOL!

I was more into NSYNC and the Spice Girls! You know Girlpower! and all that.

Oliver to Felicity:

It's tearin' up my heart when I'm with you
But when we are apart, I feel it too
And no matter what I do, I feel the pain
With or without you

Baby I don't understand
Just why we can't be lovers
Things are getting out of hand
Trying too much, but baby we can't win

Let it go
If you want me girl, let me know
I am down, on my knees
I can't take it anymore

Sorry I will leave now!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Have you tried London Drugs, @statsgirl?  I've seen them there.

7 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Calistoga up in Napa is an old-style spa town,. There's a lot of places there, all connected to the hot springs.  I'm not sure how budget you want, but I went to this less-fancy once and it had great volcanic ash mud baths and a hot spring pool: https://www.indianspringscalistoga.com/

I don't know how much relaxation you want, but this place has a nice balance of spa amenities and forced hikes. :-)

http://www.redmountainresort.com/retreat-packages

Ha, I'd glanced at Red Mountain's website before and saw the word "hiking" a few too many times (even the main picture on the home page is people hiking!) so I noped on outta there pretty quickly.  :)  Calistoga is a great suggestion, though, thanks! Close to wine country and more affordable than Sonoma. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

My supermarket has a "International Food" aisle that sells Tim Tams. I'd gladly trade them for ketchup chips, which I can't find anywhere near where I live.

Do you have a World Market nearby? Mine has TimTams AND ketchup chips. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I love Hot Tea, I drink it every day, I will only drink Iced Coffee in the summer and that's with a LOT of milk and sugar. 

I use my Tea Pot for a lot of things, making tea, making Hot Cocoa, making Jello, etc

I love going to the UK and getting asked if I want Tea. Here in the US I always have to request Tea, since every restaurant or party/event assumes you're going to drink coffee.

For everyday caffeine intake, I'm more a diet soda drinker than anything, but I love a good black tea with cream and sugar.  

For years I kept buying all the many different flavored teas and finally I figured out I really only want the traditional breakfast blends or the Earl Grey types.  

When it comes to coffee, I have to be really desperately cold or falling asleep to want to drink it and even then it's 60% creamer.  My preferred "coffee" at home is actually an obscene amount of of powered creamer, two packs of hot chocolate to which I then add the coffee.  It's rich and yummy but I never want to know the calorie count.  I don't let myself go there very often.    

13 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I think South Texas is the part that has to worry about hurricanes.  North Texas and the Panhandle not so much, but they do have to worry about tornados, so basements do come in handy.

I can understand it being an issue near the coasts, but it's hard to put my normal vision of a very dry land next to the idea that the water table is too high to build basements.  

14 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

Most everyone in Brazil has a clothes line [linens dry completely in 2 hours max during Summer], almost nobody has a basement [too hot to live underground].

You might be surprised how cool a basement can actually be in the summer.  Even our walk out basement where only the back half is even technically underground is always much cooler than the fully above ground part of the house.  I get wanting the lovely breezes and that basements can be too damp if you don't have the right system set up, but there are days in the summer when I open the windows to let the air conditioning out because it's just soooo cold in the basement.  (While barely being tolerable in the rest of the house)

Did anyone here watch TVD finale?

Spoiler

I am not a shipper but I watched it for years up until the season where the twins were born. I cried through the Stefan and Caroline scenes, the Stefan and Elena scenes, Bonnie and Elena scenes, Stefan and Damon scene at the end but found the Damon and Elena scenes very forced. I have read up on their behind the scenes shenanigans. Gawd I'm so glad we are only at the mercy of the writers (haha they are bad enough I guess) and not all the co stars drama as well. I felt bad for the D & E shippers. Those scenes looked off to me and I would have been SO upset if that was Olicity. 

Someone tell me if we are allowed to discuss this out of spoiler tags since it's aired! 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I can understand it being an issue near the coasts, but it's hard to put my normal vision of a very dry land next to the idea that the water table is too high to build basements.  

Texas is a huge state with a lot of variety.  The kind of country you'll see up in the Panhandle or over by El Paso is very different than what you might see down near the coast or near the Louisiana state line.   

I'm guessing what a lot of people think of Texas, with the wind and the cattle and the tumbleweeds, is more of a West Texas thing.  East Texas can be very humid, especially near the coast.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Did anyone here watch TVD finale?

Hide contents

I am not a shipper but I watched it for years up until the season where the twins were born. I cried through the Stefan and Caroline scenes, the Stefan and Elena scenes, Bonnie and Elena scenes, Stefan and Damon scene at the end but found the Damon and Elena scenes very forced. I have read up on their behind the scenes shenanigans. Gawd I'm so glad we are only at the mercy of the writers (haha they are bad enough I guess) and not all the co stars drama as well. I felt bad for the D & E shippers. Those scenes looked off to me and I would have been SO upset if that was Olicity. 

Someone tell me if we are allowed to discuss this out of spoiler tags since it's aired! 

I didn't watch it but I read about it.  Not sure what I think.  But I wasn't really invested in any ship.  I tend to be somewhat anti-Klaroline though, so I was a little (unreasonably, I'm not even watching the shows anymore) annoyed by the bone thrown to that shipper group.  Other than that....it sounded like a decent finale.

• Love 1