Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I was having an issue posting in Spoilers Only and Spoilers and Speculation. It turns out embedded tweets were the cause. When trying to post them, I'd get an error message. Putting in links, no problem.

This was an ongoing issue; I'd suggest you let David know in the Bugs section, that it's happening again.

• Love 1

Finally got the chance to see the Gilmore Girls  - A Year in the Life Netflix series, and maybe it's just because I was mildly spoiled or maybe it was because poor reviews here set my expectations low, but I adored the whole thing.  Rory was a mess but I'm pretty used to that from the last few seasons (hey, maybe it's intentional to show that she doesn't thrive unless she's a full time member of Stars Hollow?)

Anyway, she was actually not as bad as I was expecting and I was completely on Rory's side with the job interview thing.  They were supposed to be selling her on working there.  They knew who she was and what she could bring, or that was what they made Rory/me think so naturally she was rattled when it turned into her having to sell herself. Sure, it would have made sense for Rory to have a standard elevator pitch, but the woman interviewing her was doing a power play and head games which was extra clear when she called before Rory even got off the elevator to say she didn't get the job. 

I also didn't think as badly of her with planning on raising the baby on her own. I mean, is Logan really even interested in his affair coming out?  I didn't get the impression that she was going to keep the kid a secret so much as not factor him in.  Basically he, like Chris, wouldn't have input because of the life he wanted to keep leading. No one stopped Christopher from visiting, but Lorelai raised Rory on her terms. I think that was what they were implying with Logan. That Rory wasn't going to consult him on decisions or worry that he lived so far away.  

For the rest, I was pretty delighted with the Luke and Lorelai arc.  I found the townies/Paris as funny if not funnier than before, though , yeah, the town musical was super weird and out of place.  I loved the all too short return of Sookie.  I miss her character.  My favorite of all Melissa McCarthy's parts.  

• Love 2

I came across my BBC's North and South DVD by accident a few days ago. A rewatch and falling down the rabbit's hole soon followed. Now, my impression of Margaret's parents has always been that they were well meaning, but basically useless. I've just come across deleted scenes for the first time and boy, howdy, do they reinforce this impression. Her father actually has her tell her mother that he's quitting his post and moving the whole family to another part of the country. :o

https://youtu.be/3BwrC-bYAhw

This surpasses the scene in which neither Higgins nor Hale can bring themselves to go tell Boucher's wife that he's dead and the task then falls to Margaret. Really, I've always wanted to be a fly on the wall during Margaret and Thornton's marriage just to see how she and Hannah would (or wouldn't) learn to co-exist. They're cut from the same bitches-get-shit-done cloth.

• Love 2

I have. I read the book before they made the series, some two years before the series was released. I remember it was for a college class and it was definitely one of my favorites. I haven't re-read it since, though, so I can't say how I would find it now. I do remember that seeing Richard Armitage as Thornton was an oh, shit moment. Like, that's really him! Daniela Denby-Ashe does not resemble Margaret from the book physically, but I do love her portrayal of Margaret. Also, Jo Joyner as Fanny Thornton is the unsung hero of this adaptation for sure. I just found myself enjoying her so much during this rewatch. She was such a good couterbalance to the bleakness of Milton.

I'm not a book purist in this case. I know a lot of people hated the ending at the train station and yeah, yeah, anachronistic and scandalous, and whatever, it just worked so well, and I completely understood why they chose to open and close the series on trains.

It's probably my favorite period adaptation. Yes, even surpassing BBC's Pride and Prejudice. There, I said it.

• Love 3

Pride and Prejudice will always be my favorite book but the series (BBC adaptation) for me, I love them the same. I love Colin Firth, Richard Armitage and  Aidan Turner.  I am a sucker for period adaptation.

• Love 3

I found the cast of the original Charmed show annoying (bad acting, too cutesy mannerisms), so I hope they do a better job of casting this reboot...

Charmed getting rebooted by CW with retro twist
JAMES HIBBERD UPDATED JANUARY 5, 2017 AT 6:51PM EST
http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/05/charmed-reboot-cw/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

It’s official: A new version of the 1998 favorite Charmed is in the works at The CW.
But there’s a twist: This “reimagining” of the series will not be set in contemporary times like the original. In a Stranger Things-esque shakeup, the reboot will take place in 1976.

The original series followed a trio of San Francisco sisters who were powerful witches and used their abilities to protect innocent people from evil supernatural forces. The new version will be written by Jessica O’Toole, Amy Rardin and Jennie Snyder, who all work on The CW’s Jane the Virgin.

Since this is just at the script stage, there’s no cast yet. And with a storyline that takes place decades before the original series, one wouldn’t think original cast members Shannen Doherty, Alyssa Milano, Holly Marie Combs or Rose McGowen will be involved either. But then again, Charmed was creatively an anything-goes type of show (time travel was on the table, for instance), so there’s probably all sorts of ways previous cast members could make appearances, either as their original characters or new ones.

Edited by tv echo

Having finished season 1 of Vampire Diaries I think two things make Damon and Delena irredeemable and Elena for pursuing anything with him:

Mentally, physically and sexually abusing Caroline and feeding off her

Pushing human blood on Stefan to push him over the edge do he can then run to Elena to dob Stefan in and pit Elena against Stefan and play moral high ground card to try and seduce Elena into thinking he's a stand up guy and the two making heart eyes at each other while dancing.

How are they romantic and shipable again? He's basically who Kilgrave on Jessica Jones THOUGHT he was in his head while the show made it clear he's an abusive manipulative creep. While Vampire Diaries romanticises Damon for being an abusive manipulative creep.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I find it really random to set the show in 1976.

The most random thing about 1976 is that Grams, mama and papa Halliwell, Leo and the Baby Daddy Whitelighter are all  hanging out around 1970s in the original show!

3 hours ago, bijoux said:

It's probably my favorite period adaptation. Yes, even surpassing BBC's Pride and Prejudice. There, I said it.

Cosigned.  I'm not the least bit shy of stating my preference for the adaptation N&S over any of the P&P adaptations.  It really is that great.  I love the book, but I'm actually glad they changed the ending to what we see because besides being wildly swoonworthy it's a lot more interesting than the rather anti-climatic ending from the book, IMO.  I guess I don't find the train scene terribly anachronistic especially since we're constantly shown Margaret saying and doing things that were perceived as inappropriate for a young lady of gentility at that time all throughout the book/series--especially when it came to men.  In the TV series she was getting into trouble for talking so casually about marriage with a single man, grabbing onto John during the riot, being seen in public at night alone with a strange man, etc., so to me, the train scene doesn't seem so out-of-character to someone like her. *shrugs*

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bijoux said:

I came across my BBC's North and South DVD by accident a few days ago. A rewatch and falling down the rabbit's hole soon followed. Now, my impression of Margaret's parents has always been that they were well meaning, but basically useless. I've just come across deleted scenes for the first time and boy, howdy, do they reinforce this impression. Her father actually has her tell her mother that he's quitting his post and moving the whole family to another part of the country. :o

https://youtu.be/3BwrC-bYAhw

I've never seen N&S because they didn't play it here but that first scene is really funny.  I find the parent in me wanting to tell the father "No, you made the decision, now you man up and go take the responsibility and tell your wife."  It does, however, explain the thinking of guys like the one who wrote that comicsverse anti-Felicity article.

• Love 2

Damon snaps Jeremy's neck. Ew. I can see it for the obvious creepy Elena and Damon set up that it is (the whole Katherine scene earlier where she's all Hating someone is the start of a love story not the end of it) But that is such a gross way to setup a romantic plot line. The big hurdle to over come - killing love interests  brother.

I mean Billy's death was kind of a gross ship hurdle for Olicity but at least Felicity didn't watch Oliver intentionally shoot him with Arrow after almost forcing himself on her. Gross. 

Katherine and Bonnie are kinda awesome though.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

But that is such a gross way to setup a romantic plot line. The big hurdle to over come - killing love interests  brother.

Spoiler

Damon also likes to go on killing sprees when he's upset his girl doesn't love him (anymore). This is his small adorable quirk.

• Love 3
Spoiler

I hate how they dealt with Katherine's storyline. She was such a dynamic character, she almost had a character development there with her dying and Stefan being there for her, her daughter trying to connect with her. But nope, lets make Katherine stalk Stefan again, drag her to hell and never speak of her again. Ugh.

• Love 3

I just caught up on Wednesday's Lethal Weapon, and I think the show just tipped onto my "can't miss" list.  The episode managed to get me to cry, laugh, and cry-laugh.  They pull off fantastic action scenes, and while it is sharp and funny, it also has a huge heart. 

1 minute ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I just caught up on Wednesday's Lethal Weapon, and I think the show just tipped onto my "can't miss" list.  The episode managed to get me to cry, laugh, and cry-laugh.  They pull off fantastic action scenes, and while it is sharp and funny, it also has a huge heart. 

It really helps how likable both leads are.  Even with one half of the pair a traumatized emotional mess, it doesn't mean he's can't smile or joke around.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It really helps how likable both leads are.  Even with one half of the pair a traumatized emotional mess, it doesn't mean he's can't smile or joke around.

Yup, even the one who's a traumatized mess can show up for other people.  I like how you can see personal growth in every case they get. 

• Love 3

I thought season 1 was well written but season 2 has been more entertaining and the storylines more interesting what with Katherine, Vamp Caroline the werewolves and Klaus. 

I would like to see Isobel and John back though.

I could take or leave Damon and I don't like how dumb they make Elena look to justify Damon. 

I find the supporting characters more likeable then the three leads, even Jenna. The exception being Matt. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I find the supporting characters more likeable then the three leads, even Jenna. The exception being Matt. 

Matt is such a Token Human in this show. He barely has any personality to speak of but somehow after every other character leaving or having development Matt is always the same.

Spoiler

I liked Tyler for awhile but after he'd manifested as a werewolf they barely knew what to do with him. Also: Tyler/Caroline/Klaus "love" "triangle".

Matt being bleh became his trademark to me. He was never remarkable but he was so consistently Matt. I grew to like that!

Are you going to watch all of it?

I can't wait for you to get to the other stuff. Are you watching The Originals?

I'll see how I go with Vampire Diaries first before I try the originals.

Theres a whole bunch of other shows people tell me I must watch that I haven't got around to binging yet.

Next on my list is Walking Dead Never seen an episode but my mother keeps hassling me to watch it. She even told me there's a romance story there- she knows how to sell me haha.

Okay Damon looking after Rose and giving her a perfect day won you a little points with me. You've upgraded from gross dick to just dick. Still think Elena would be mentally challenged to want date you.

ETA: one episode later and he's back to gross Dick. Why do I bother?

Edited by LeighAn

I'm happy to see The Crown and Claire Foy win a Golden Globe especially after getting no nominations at the Emmys which truly surprised me as it truly is a well made and well acted show. However I'm sad Sterling K Brown didn't win for This is Us cause I LOVE him :(

Edited by LeighAn
43 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I'm happy to see The Crown and Claire Foy win a Golden Globe especially after getting no nominations at the Emmys which truly surprised me as it truly is a well made and well acted show. However I'm sad Sterling K Brown didn't win for This is Us cause I LOVE him :(

Omg Claire Foy won ??????

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

I loved her in The Crown.  I loved The Crown so much! I miscounted the eps and thought ep 10 was ep 9 so when I finished it I was like "Nooooooooooooo"

The Crown didn't premiere until two months after this year's Emmys aired, five months after the eligibility period ended. If they get nominations, it will be for the 2017 Emmys. Also, the second season is already confirmed! And there are a rumored five-six seasons planned out, I think.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Seconded. Even for fluff, it's a bad movie.  (If you're looking for something, I watched the last Aurora Teagarden movie last night and it fits the bill for fluff for me.)

Is it with Candace Cameron-Bure? Because I will not be watching her in anything for a long while. I suffered through her honestly horrid movie, Journey Back to Christmas a few months back and she played a time-travelling nurse from the 1940s who accidentally ended up in present day. Freak snow storm or something. I suppose she tried to play the character as someone form another time. Instead she played it like the woman came from another planet and did not manage to figure out how humans functioned. 

Am I suppose to find the fact that Damon is willing to let Elenas love ones die and turn her into a Vampire to protect her oh so romantic? 

Because to me its him basically ignoring the two most fundamental parts of who Elena is- she loves her friends and would never place herself above them and she values human life. 

• Love 1
On 1/8/2017 at 9:41 PM, Chaser said:

There is Mandy Moore the Cheographer (LaLa Land too) and Mandy Moore the Actress.

Yes! When I first watched DWTS, I was so confused when they name dropped Mandy Moore. Then I started watching SYTYCD and they showed the choreographer MM doing her job and it all made sense. And she is an amazing choreographer, just phenomenal. The world is a better place for having two talented Mandy Moores, even if it causes some confusion.

23 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Hahahahahahahaha!  I never knew!  I'll stop being so impressed with the singer Mandy Moore now.  

Apparently, you are not the only one. :)  http://screenertv.com/television/did-this-is-us-star-mandy-moore-choreograph-la-la-land/

• Love 1

So, I've been reading this book for the past two days and something's been feeling odd. I realized it was because it felt like fan fic and I was bored. Which in turn made me feel like a snob and a hypocrite. But I think I figured out what the problem was - the storytelling is a complete straight line - boy meets girl, they like each other, they start dating, they have sex, they move in together and get engaged (really fast I might add). This thing works in fan fic because you've gotten attached to the characters previously. I formed no attachment to these characters throughout the book and I think there are maybe three chapters left. Chances of it happening in the remaining few chapters are nil. I mean, they're basically decent people and she's pretty and he's pretty, but big whoop. At least I can let it rest now because I've figured out what's been bugging me, so yay. :)

• Love 3

I just read up on Casey Afflecks sexual assault allegations and how Ben Affleck and Matt Damon have been using their celebrity to intimidate news outlets to not pursue the story out of fear of not losing access to the Hollywood stars. This after an award season which saw the media unafraid to rightfully call out Nate Parkers acquittal for campus rape and relevant and necessary news story for what at time was Nates string chances of winning an Oscar.

I had no idea about Casey Affleck allegations until just a couple hours and I won't go see his movie even though I thought it looked good because stuff like that makes me sick. 

I was moved to tears by Meryls speech and I think she's class act but learning that basically in the same award show they gave a golden globe to someone the HFPA knew had a history of sexual assault allegations but didn't look any closer into it because Batman might get mad at them and that news outlets are treating the story as a foot note for similar reasons makes me realise that Hollywood needs to clean out their own house.

Editing: because that link was super long then I thought it'd be but people can look it up. 

Im sorry for the preachy rant but I hate stories like this I ranted about Parker for days too. And don't even get me started on that frat boy swimmer who got off on that college rape!

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 6

That article frustrates me.  Why the need to discredit what Streep said in order to point out that Casey Affleck is a shit human being?  I hate the headline, "You Can't have it both Ways"  Um, one doesn't cancel out the other.  Meryl Streep can point out a wrong and stress the need for a diligent press while at the same time the press and the Hollywood community can also be in serious need of betterment.  Why do the two have to be linked? Why couldn't they just write a story about the sexual harassment charges (which he bought silence for) that no one wants to talk about?  

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

That article frustrates me.  Why the need to discredit what Streep said in order to point out that Casey Affleck is a shit human being?  I hate the headline, "You Can't have it both Ways"  Um, one doesn't cancel out the other.  Meryl Streep can point out a wrong and stress the need for a diligent press while at the same time the press and the Hollywood community can also be in serious need of betterment.  Why do the two have to be linked? Why couldn't they just write a story about the sexual harassment charges (which he bought silence for) that no one wants to talk about?  

In that respect I agree.

FYI I can link the article again if people want even though it was literally seven lines from my phone.

But anyway it's an op ed piece in the Sydney Morning Herald. I actually liked The Daily Beast article and New York Magazines articles as well.

I guess I just don't like the fact that they gave him a golden globe that they are going to likely give him an Oscar and that his career will rise because of that. 

I don't see it so much as pulling down Meryl as it is the fact that they shouldn't be gifting him with an award in the first place. Or at the very least it should be talked about more openly like it was in the Nate Parker Oscar race but not he's two things Nate Parker was not-White and in position of privilege. So it's not even getting that much news steam and that's on the entertainment media and their obsession with Hollywood stars.

If Casey Affleck weren't Ben and Matt Damon's little brother maybe it would have been looked at more closely but because it's just going to get wiped under the rug like Allen and Polanski and Sheen. It's just all gross and makes me feel ragey and gross which is why I shared but In sorry if your offended.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1

If Casey Affleck weren't Ben and Matt Damon's little brother maybe it would have been looked at more closely but because it's just going to get wiped under the rug like Allen and Polanski and Sheen. It's just all gross and makes me feel ragey and gross which is why I shared but In sorry if your offended.

You did nothing to offend me and I'm glad now to know about Affleck, I was ignorant of Cosby for way too long.  I don't think you should for a second think I was offended and i hope you're not second guessing the choice to post it.

I'm just complaining about how it was framed with the Streep angle.  I've seen that kinda connect the dots before where someone says something completely valid and then someone else basically (intentionally or unintentionally) poo poo's by switching the narrative because something else kinda sorta maybe a bit related also is wrong.  

Take me for example.  Doesn't it kind of annoy you that instead of focusing on Casey Afflek's deeds, I'm complaining about how the article was written?  I know I'm irritated by doing what I was just complaining about! 

Self awareness is a bitch.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

You did nothing to offend me and I'm glad now to know about Affleck, I was ignorant of Cosby for way too long.  I don't think you should for a second think I was offended and i hope you're not second guessing the choice to post it.

I'm just complaining about how it was framed with the Streep angle.  I've seen that kinda connect the dots before where someone says something completely valid and then someone else basically (intentionally or unintentionally) poo poo's by switching the narrative because something else kinda sorta maybe a bit related also is wrong.  

Take me for example.  Doesn't it kind of annoy you that instead of focusing on Casey Afflek's deeds, I'm complaining about how the article was written?  I know I'm irritated by doing what I was just complaining about! 

Self awareness is a bitch.   

Haha your fine :) I deleted the link cause it was looked crazy long on my phone before I saw your comment and then I was worried you might think I deleted it because of that haha.

But yeah I didn't get the sense so much that they were trying to ignore what Meryl said by bringing up Casey but more using that as a link to the fact that the fact there are men in Hollywood getting away and rewarded for sexual harassment and violence by a celebrity forgiveness culture and an entertainment media that doesn't want to look to closely at that because it would mean losing access.

And how women are often treated like whores, con artist, or gold diggers when forgiving these celebrity dicks. 

Edited by LeighAn