Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E14: The Guy With Moves Like Elvis

Shei seemed to do well at catwalk, and a couple of the real people they brought on liked her, though one hated her eyebrows (I will forever believe they should have flipped the brows so the light was under the dark hair and vice versa)  So who knows, maybe she'll be like Ann from C4 (I think- Eva's season) and go off to work for awhile before popping up in a couple commercials.  

i'm just glad we got to hear Shei's story before she left.

I don't think this top 5 was so terrible.  That said, I totally think Keith is the Saleshia.  Propped by the judges ("your photo was OK, I give it a 9"), lacking in personality, imho.  She's still worse for me, though, because there were a lot of contestants that season who seemed to be actual models.  Tall, thin, young- and actually good at taking pictures.  I don't think a victory from him would be as much of a travesty.  

I'm also not 100% convinced he's the winner.  Adam's played the game really well, in terms of having a problem, needing improvement, and letting the judges help him in both areas so his victory would validate their skills.  I can imagine him taking it.

So we're down to the finale next week?  With a top 4?  

• Love 1

Even though I've said Lenox is the most editorial of all the models left, I wanted her to go home. I'm sick of her whining about "being sexy" or not knowing how to dance, the list goes on . . . I also get tired of her backbiting THs. She comes across as unpleasant in general. It's not that difficult to look things up about modeling or, you know, find past seasons and episodes online to watch. I can't believe she doesn't seem to know what modeling entails. At least some of the contestants from previous cycles had better ideas.

I'm convinced that a man wins this season and I think that's why Tyra is at every photoshoot.

I think Keith does the same face every time. This was one of his worst episodes. I'm glad that Adam won best photo. I had hoped he'd kill the commercial, but that was a hot mess.

I'm sad that Shei was sent home. I wish she had gotten a different Ty-over because I think it hurt her more than helped. I didn't think her photo was that bad, really.

I like Will, but he's too tall and I wasn't impressed with his photo. However, I thought he was one of the better ones in the soap opera clip. I'm not sure that's saying much.

Edited by Surrealist

From the very beginning of the judges score/social media score on ANTM I have completely understood and accepted that the judges pre-plan their scores to ensure the person they want to eliminate ends up going home, regardless of social media score. Social media score has zero effect on the competition and is there to drum up interest. Fine.

However, I am not so practiced in doublethink to sit here and be told one thing while being shown another.

Tyra told Shei that Social Media "did not like her photo". Shei received a 6.6. Meanwhile, the 2 "best" photos this week scored a 5.8 and a 6.2.

I didn't think Shei's photo was that great, but cut the crap, Tyra. Shei went home because it was part of the plan. Don't lie to her face that social media had anything to do with it.

Adam is a terrible model and has been since the beginning. The fact that he was propelled to the finals because he finally didn't shit the bed during the photoshoot is a crock of shit. He should have been the one to go home, and clearly the viewing public agrees.

• Love 5

Even though I've said Lenox is the most editorial of all the models left, I wanted her to go home. I'm sick of her whining about "being sexy" or not knowing how to dance, the list goes on . . . I also get tired of her backbiting THs. She comes across as unpleasant in general. It's not that difficult to look things up about modeling or, you know, find past seasons and episodes online to watch. I can't believe she doesn't seem to know what modeling entails. At least some of the contestants from previous cycles had better ideas.

I'm convinced that a man wins this season and I think that's why Tyra is at every photoshoot.

I think Keith does the same face every time. This was one of his worst episodes. I'm glad that Adam won best photo. I had hoped he'd kill the commercial, but that was a hot mess.

Lenox is so derpy and annoying. I've come to the conclusion it's not that she CANNOT be sexy, she doesn't want to be sexy. If mauneuvered correctly, you can make a number 2 pencil attractive. In fact, I want to get an electric pencil sharpener and sharpen pencils every time she comes on talking about how she can't do something. Have you ever even like, tried? Sexy is an air, not a behavior. I think she has slut confused with sexy. Or like I said earlier - she just doesn't want to make a conscious effort to be anything but whatever it is she is. The only thing keeping her in the comp is her river of oak brown hair and sea blue eyes. Otherwise, she's about as flexible as a wood board.

I think Tyra picks a handful or so of potential 'winners' for her show and whittles them down. She obviously had a thing for Matthew, Peahead Denzel, and now Keith and Adam. I can't see Will making it for very long on this show unless they try to force Lenox to do something she just can't and they kick her off the show... Adam is a long shot at the rate Keith Bot is going.

On the subject of Keith Bot's face - he's like a Roman statue. I'm scared if you throw a penny at him he'll chip not bruise. He's just so stoic but not in an introverted way. It's creepy.

• Love 3

Tyra told Shei that Social Media "did not like her photo". Shei received a 6.6.

That isn't that uncommon, it was something you could notice happening a lot last season IIRC.

Though I always feel a bit oogy when they throw social media at one of the contestants given how little control the contestants have over it. I mean Cory was the second highest social media score last year and that sure wasn't for taking good photos.

I pause so I can see just how the social media scores fell.  The whole thing doesn't bother me as much now that they got rid of the guy who did the summarizing (with occasional opinion).  Although learning that they use different picture sometimes is a little gross, and I don't think they should be able to get away with that on a game show.  And they need to pick crappier pictures for the people they're trying to tank- or at least not compliment them the same way they do the higher-rated photos.  And rein in Kelly because she seems to be a bit over the whole thing.  

All that aside, this week when Adam said that "social media" loves Lenox...it was nice to know at least one of the contestants has an understanding of how people really rank. Hopefully Shei got it, too.  It's just math- they can figure it out (well...one of them seems to have).  

It's funny. I just sort of naturally assumed that Tyra was getting more involved in the shoots in Korea because… well, what else is she gonna do? Shopping and seeing the sights until panel? But yeah, she's probably pushing to get the guys into the finals… or just wanting to spend more time with Keith. ;-)

Sadly, they had a different photographer, so Will didn't have his guy to tell him what a great job he did afterwards.

Yes, the wigs are horrendous on this show. I'd say that Tyra takes the entirety of the wig budget for herself, but… ;-)

Shei could have a career, but probably on the runway. That's where she excelled. Just like Will can have a career as a photo model. But he's too tall for runway. A lot of contestants do actually go on to do some modeling once they get off the show because they can focus on the area they're best suited for instead of having to try and do it all. 

Tyra's really stacking the deck for a guy to win, isn't she? Wow. Poor Lennox doesn't stand a chance! At this point, I'm assuming it's going to be Keith as the winner. Next week isn't the finale, though, is it? She's calling each of these four the "finalists." So I assume that we'll do another shoot and the commercial next week, eliminate one, and then three walk in the final fashion show. Right?

• Love 1
So I assume that we'll do another shoot and the commercial next week, eliminate one, and then three walk in the final fashion show. Right?

Tyra did call them the finalists. But, my guess is that two of them will be eliminated in the next episode. IIRC there are usually only two finalists who face off against each other. 

I think it will be between Keith and Lenox... and Keith will probably win. That's a shame to me because as handsome as Keith is... I don't think he has what it takes to be a successful model and I don't think it's something he can learn.

Models are like actors to some degree and the really successful ones are those who can fully immerse themselves into the "characters" of a photo shoot. Keith does not seem to have the ability to really let himself go and be somebody else in the shoot. It's like he doesn't want to look silly so he kind of makes only a half-assed effort at it. 

I think Will is just so gorgeous and I hope this show helps launch his editorial career.

Lenox can do both runway and editorial. I think she'll be okay after the show.

I don't think Adam is blowing smoke about being a super smart guy. He just doesn't want to get stuck behind a desk crunching numbers his whole life. I think he will find a way to capitalize on this opportunity and find some level of success after this. 

But, IMO Keith won't be able to pull off a photo shoot after he wins because Tyra won't be there holding his hand... and finding the one shot that works. Clients will get very frustrated with him very quickly. 

• Love 1

When Adam was going on about how he would nail the acting, I knew he would completely be the worst one. Interesting that Will's Korean was the best. But Will ... so you don't like girls so couldn't do the scene correctly: It's called ACTING! Geesh.

Agreed on both counts. Adam's awfulness was telegraphed miles away. And Will, hun, do you honestly think that all actors in mainstream (read, largely heteronormative) theatre, movies, TV, etc. are all straight? Heck, even if you are paired with the "correct" gender, doesn't mean you'll find them remotely attractive. That's no excuse for not selling it.

Yu Tsai is the worst shoot director - or whatever his title is - that the show's ever had. No wonder Tyra's gotten more involved in the photoshoots in the back half of the season. And did they even mention who the photographer was?

This was my thought on why she keeps showing up. As I believe has been mentioned in various places, Tyra actually seems like a pretty good creative director, while Yu Tsai is completely useless at that, which is rather unfortunate, given that that's ostensibly his job... Overall, I agree with those who have expressed their regret at the lack of any real constructive teaching or feedback on this show. True, they could show a little more initiative of their own, and do some working out, practising, etc. in the house, but TPTB are really not doing much to encourage that with the absolute lack of any useful feedback. But yeah. I hope Yu Tsai doesn't come back. It's one thing to be obnoxious if you're imparting some useful knowledge in there somewhere, but he's just a screechy, disrespectful ass.

• Love 3

True. Yu Tsai hasn't been particularly helpful as creative director. I figured they just brought him in because Johnny Wujeck was cute, but useless, so at least Yu would bring some yelling and bad attitude to it. Unfortunately, sassing the models hasn't exactly made the photos any better.

We brought back Miss J, so maybe next cycle we can get Mr. Jay back? Please, Miss Tyra? Pretty please with sugar on top? And whipped cream and a cherry?

• Love 2
So I assume that we'll do another shoot and the commercial next week, eliminate one, and then three walk in the final fashion show. Right?

From what I could tell from the TV listings, there will be two episodes back-to-back this Friday.

Edited by Surrealist

I have a slight preference for Mr. Jay over Yu Tsai, because while they're both catty, rude, and give unhelpful instructions ('do better,' or 'like, bring it,' or 'ENERGY!'), Jay Manuel is at least less screechy. But I preferred Johnny over either of them, because even if he was useless, I never felt like he was being intentionally rude just to upset the contestants. I also paid very little attention to the seasons he was on, though.

They're really working hard to yank Keith's overall score. A few episodes ago, Will and Lennox were a lot higher than everyone else in their week-to-week average. Now Keith, with all of his mediocre 9's, is within striking distance.

I have no problem with Keith winning. He doesn't have a lot of range, but he's very attractive and persistent. He's dull as dishwater, but he seems like a nice guy. And I'm okay with making sure a guy wins for the first time, and making sure that we have a person of color win for the first time since Krista (not counting Laura James's hilariously fake color). I just wish they'd make it interesting.

• Love 1

Of the following 3 who would you rather have on antm: 1. Jay Manuel 2. Janice Dickinson 3. Yu Tsai.. You only get to pick one. This is an in general question given that they have/had different jobs. I would go with Jay.

Yu Tsai actually made me miss Jay Manuel a little - because as useless as Jay was, Yu Tsai still manages to top (bottom?) that. 

As for Janice, I always liked her as a judge. She's not very nice but I usually find her blunt assessments not untrue. I even miss Nigel though to a certain extent - heck I miss the guest judges of the week - that's how boring the judging has been since they switched it to just scores. LBR, it's not a modeling competition, it's a modeling reality show, so it isn't like the judging is ever going to be 'fair' and would be rigged either way (via scores, picking a bad photo, etc), but panel was always fun because of the discussion and now there's none of that - do they honestly think that watching numbers fly on a screen is actually interesting to watch?

Edited by belindasmiles
  • Love 3

Agreed. Janice could be a little crazy some times, but she was good for blunt yet useful criticism. I remember earlier seasons where she would say things like, "You should have moved your arm up a little." and then explain how that would have made the shot better. Like, really specific advice. And she wasn't shy about giving the contestants a reality check about the modeling industry. Tyra tends to sugarcoat it. I mean, she's told Will he's a little tall for sample sizes, but I feel like she hasn't warned Adam that he's not going to be good for much more than underwear modeling. ;-)

I feel like they want Kelly to fill that role now, but she's just acerbic without actually being terribly helpful. Still, at least we got rid of Rob Evans and his homophobic attitude. Could you imagine if he'd been judging this season with Will? The mind boggles...

• Love 5

Heck, even if you are paired with the "correct" gender, doesn't mean you'll find them remotely attractive. That's no excuse for not selling it.

Yeah, that is the weird thing to me there. Your job is faking it, whatever 'it' the current photoshoot requires. For a male model, that is most often going to be faking attraction to women(unless they make it in the gay arena of marketing, but Will doesn't have the look for that). If you can't fake it, you're failing at your job.

Also i've known plenty of total queentastic male actors and models(both gay and straight) and any of them will tell you that if you want to find a job, you have to be able to butch it up vocally, in mannerisms and be able to fully immerse yourself in a masculine character role. If you can't turn the whole 'Hey guuuuurl' off then you probably shouldn't have tried in the first place.

• Love 2

The main problem I find with Kelly and comparatively Yu Tsai is that they have been planted, sowed, and watered into roles which they have little to no expertise or talent in. Take for instance Kelly - I remember her from The Hills and the upstart days of Nylon's birth. She's a creative director, not a judge or whatever the heck they have her doing on here. Yu Tsai was and still is a fashion photographer. That's how he got into the business. So why Kelly is judging people when she's good at directing and such and why Yu Tsai is directing when he should be clicking the shutter and procrastinating about his f-stop is beyond my knowledge.

Johnny Wujek was realistically more professional in behavior- he was calm, quiet, and dolled out advice without over or under directing. I like Jay Manuel but sometimes he was a bit too catty. Yet I would take Johnny or Jay over Yu anytime for sure.

Ms. Jay seems like he's so over this show - I feel so bad that they drug him back on here. Tyra is acting like such a loon, you can tell he's at once aghast by her behavior and being a trooper, sticking through this murder fest of idiocy.

Edited by BathKol
  • Love 3

Ms. Jay seems like he's so over this show - I feel so bad that they drug him back on here. Tyra is acting like such a loon, you can tell he's at once aghast by her behavior and being a trooper, sticking through this murder fest of idiocy.

Can you blame him? They brought him back, ostensibly for his expertise in runway walking, and have pretty much not used that expertise at all. Which I guess goes along with the rest of what you were saying — that this show is now full of people who are filling roles that are not where their strengths lie.

• Love 1

Can you blame him? They brought him back, ostensibly for his expertise in runway walking, and have pretty much not used that expertise at all. Which I guess goes along with the rest of what you were saying — that this show is now full of people who are filling roles that are not where their strengths lie.

I know right? Why bring him back and not have the man walk??? When ANTM was stills young virgin of television, he was always or very much nearly around to teach the girls how to move - and in fact he had great sound advice. IMO, it was a bad excuse to bring in old fans of the show. Didn't work.