Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Prom

The three contestants create prom dresses with the help of Project Runway alumni Michael Costello, Dom Streater, and Christopher Palu.

My bad...I accidentally tagged the thread with the "no spoilers" thread.  I hope one of the regular monitors can correct that.  I meant no harm.

Edited by aquarian1
Fixed title, per request.

I was so happy to see Michael. He's my most favorite contestant ever.

Tieler and kimmana were pretty annoying. I liked Bella's dress best but it was too short, however I think it would look too matronly if lengthened.

What I thought was funny was kimmanas mom saying that she never should have brought her. I thought the kids were picked for them show, not the adults.

I loved Tielers flower dress. Wow.

I just flipped over from the Daily Show to see the runway.  To me I think them letting Kimmana on was a cruel joke.  It was painful watching the judges try to say nice things about the one.  It looked like one of those outfits I've seen them do with the wrapping paper and bows at shower.  In this case it was a poorly attended one and the paper was left over from the seventies.

• Love 1

TIE-ler?? Really? TIELER! dear god. Ridiculous spelling notwithstanding I thought he was a sweet kid and really talented.

Kimmanna is the kind of teen that simultaneously amuses and annoys me, but her mother drove me right around the bend. This is not about you,dear.

I liked Bella's outfits and thought she would win. Her grandma was cute.

• Love 2

Kimanni was something else...she loved rather too much having workers (I did notice the wrapping around her hand once they got in the workroom but I had the feeling she always has the entitled princess vibe going on with or without an injured hand).  I thought Bella and her grandmother were very cute together.  Too bad she didn't stick with her original design; she might have won...the bubble skirt was just too short.  Tieler's mother was a bit much but obviously cares about him, and I liked his prom look the best.  I thought the Project Runway alumni were very nice to their young bosses.  Overall, a decent episode. I'm enjoying this more than the All Stars at this point, and I didn't think I would be in that camp when it started.

I agree that Kimanni was over her head in that competition.  She was fine for only have been sewing for a year, but her estimation of her own skills & talent were delusional. But I tend to blame the parent's for instilling the special-snowflake status on their little darlings.  I can't see her pursuing fashion for much longer.  At least she didn't refer to herself in the 3rd person like Aliyah did in the Fashion Capitols episode...*LOL*

I was never a Dom fan on her PR season, but she did well with her little terror.  Michael & Christopher were also really sweet & supportive.  The PR alums seem to do a LOT of work for those kids, but it ended right.  

What Christian said about Bella's bubble dress was absolutely right, she should have gone with a turquoise dress with the cream accents.  Then a little added length and she might have won it.  

Tieler (I kept thinking "teeler" in my head) has some heavy burdens for such a young guy, but he seems to be channeling it in a good direction.  I liked his prom dress, but would have liked to see a little embellishment on the plain black top.  Nothing crazy, maybe just some black satin trim to give it a little interest. 

Good show, I'm enjoying it for what it is.  

• Love 1

Pepper, my sistah!

OMG yes, TIELER and his mom, TAHMI.

Look, as I've said before, I know these contestants are kids, but could they have some self awareness and some grace? I thought Tyler's (sorry, I refuse to type that other thing again) attitude was crappy and his mom was so clingy it weirded me out.

Kimanni did get a little full of herself, but she's only been sewing a year and I cut her some slack because I think she was just overexcited.

I liked Bella's little cupcake-ish dress; it might have won had it not been too short.

It was SO GOOD TO SEE MY MICHAEL!!!! Don't care to ever see Dom again. I'm neutral on Christoper; sometimes I like him and sometimes he's too bitchy, even for me.

Christian continues to be a bright spot of class on this show. I'm always happy for the kids to have accomplished something even when their looks are meh and Christian always always always has something kind and constructive to say to each and everyone of them.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

Ah, I see I am not alone in my Michael love.  Yay, Michael!  Favorite PR contestant ever, and I was delighted to see him pop up here.  Also glad he didn't get paired with Kimanni, who I found a leetle too full of herself for my liking.  Look, I was a 13 year old girl once, and I remember quite well how self-centered one can get and how easily one can get carried away and go over the top.  I'm glad she got a little comeuppance - what is cute and forgivable in a 13 year old adolescent becomes less cute and acceptable with each passing year.  Self confidence in one thing, but playing queen over all one surveys is something else. 

I liked Tieler (but hated his name - really, don't parents realize they are dooming their child to having to say "My name is Tieler - T-I-E-L-E-R" for the rest of their lives?  What an awful thing to do to an innocent child - it's pronounced the same, after all.)  Anyway, liked Tieler, liked his clothes, particularly the flower dress, and am glad he won.  I would have been okay with Bella winning as well - she seemed a nice girl, and did good work.

Interesting how Christian manages to point out how some garment or design could be improved every week, and always seems to be right.  I imagine the dress the way he described it and realize, yes, that would have been much better.  He's always kind to the kids and has good advice - a good choice for a judge on this show.

MICHAEL!!!!!!!  I can not express how excited I was to see him pop up in the episode.  I didn't fast forward as much as a result of his appearance.  I was so impressed by that fact that he was willing to donate some of his time to be on this show.  Michael is one of the most successful past contestants from this show and yet he was willing to mentor young designers.  

Now, for the young designers...I was totally surprised that Kimanna won the make something at home prize.  Bella seemed very nice.  Tyler seemed to be trying to act too cool, but I do think that he's talented.

edited to add that I know Michael didn't truly donate his time, but the minimal amount that the returning designers were paid probably pales in comparison to what he makes with his designs and business.

Edited by seacliffsal

My recap is up on trashtalktv. Tieler is not a name. But I guess you can't expect anything else from a woman named Tahmi. 

Christopher and Michael are two of my favorites. Somehow even with Michael, Christopher, and Christian Threads is never that exciting but I'm getting used to it. I wish they'd try harder with casting. Maybe if this gets a second season the talent level will be higher. I can't imagine a lot of kids knew about the auditions.

My recap is up on trashtalktv. Tieler is not a name. But I guess you can't expect anything else from a woman named Tahmi. 

Christopher and Michael are two of my favorites. Somehow even with Michael, Christopher, and Christian Threads is never that exciting but I'm getting used to it. I wish they'd try harder with casting. Maybe if this gets a second season the talent level will be higher. I can't imagine a lot of kids knew about the auditions.

I added a comment to your recap.  I didn't want you to feel lonely over there. I do read it.  I didn't realize having people commenting would be meaningful.

Threads isn't exciting, but sometimes excitement is not what I'm looking for.   I thought this was the best episode with Michael, Christopher and Christian, though last week had a better cast and the fashion students did a nice job.  I think this show could be salvaged if they got rid of all the judges and mentors except Christian, tossed out the unconventional materials challenges, and maybe had the winners of each week actually meet again to compete against each other.  There is no suspense to carry the audience from week to week the way the program is structured now.

• Love 2

Not fair why didn't all the kids on previous shows get project runway alums as helpers.

These three were all really bad designers. the winners from the previous shows were all much better. although I liked Bella and thought she was robbed.

Not fair why didn't all the kids on previous shows get project runway alums as helpers.

These three were all really bad designers. the winners from the previous shows were all much better. although I liked Bella and thought she was robbed.

That's a good point. Since they had help, they could have made anything you could make within a few hours with three people working together and what they came up with wasn't that inspiring. 

Damn it, I loved that episode 4 didn't have any assistant stealing but apparently that crap is back this week. Boooooooo. I loved having the former PR contestants as assistants!

I have to be honest. Just seeing the way Tieler's name was spelled made me predisposed not to like him. Then I saw that his mom spelled her name Tahmi and I just sighed. He started to win be back a little when he was clearly so appreciative of his mother's support. I liked the fabric he chose for the cape he brought. One of the issues I have with designers on PR is that so many of them choose black which is great in real life but isn't always great on the runway because you can't see the details when the entire outfit is so dark. The dark burgundy with that black checked pattern was dark and sophisticated but without being all black. I didn't like the dress underneath though.

Kimanni annoyed me right away by telling her mom to be quiet. I liked the fabric she used for her "show me your style" skirt was great but I didn't like the silhouette of the top paired with that skirt. Totally not Kimanni's fault, but eighth grade prom? What the hell? It's just an eighth grade dance, damn it! Prom is for high school! She was also way too gleeful about stealing someone's assistant. I was hoping she would spend the entire 30 minutes explaining what she wanted so that he didn't actually end up doing 30 minutes of work for her. She really enjoyed supervising aka telling everyone else what to do. She would do great on regular Project Runway since she likes to lord it over people and talk about how great she is without having the skills to back it up.

I loved Bella's "show me your style" look. She had the same beachy aesthetic that Brianna from episode 4 had, but in a much more sophisticated and polished way. French seams? I was impressed with her sewing skills. I also liked her fabric choices and the way she crisscrossed the fabric on the tank top.

I loved the original flower challenge in S2 of Project Runway but I was really worried that the flowers would dry up until I realized they were fake flowers.

Kimmani's first outfit looked like an unlicensed Wonder Woman Halloween costume sold on Amazon. The fabric choice was so cheap looking. The flower on the shoulder was way too big too. I hated that on her flower dress she created a sweetheart neckline with the flowers but didn't cut the white fabric underneath.

Bella's first dress was a little short but since they fit their models so late into the process, I am willing to cut her some slack for that. Her prom dress was cute and youthful, and I really liked that the neckline wasn't boobalicious. The top of her flower dress looked a little heavy but I give her a pass since the assignment was to glue fake flowers to a white dress. If she hadn't used as many flowers as she did, you would have seen all the white fabric underneath. I liked that she cut the white dress to make a crop top and skirt too. I really liked the way she scattered the flowers on the skirt.

The skirt on Tieler's prom dress was way too long. That poor model would have tripped if she hadn't picked up the fabric while she was walking down the runway. It was a little plain for my taste, but it was sophisticated. I liked his flower dress, mostly because from a distance you couldn't tell that it was covered in fake flowers and leaves. While I understand what Christian said about plum being a more grownup color, not all teenage girls want to wear pink glitter. And let's be real - how many girls want to wear a dress covered in fake flowers? Who would wear ANY of the second dresses?

I would have been fine with either Bella or Tieler winning. In terms of design and material choice, Kimmani's Wonder Woman dress was just not at the same level. There was very minimal technique for that circle skirt and simple top. Her fabric choices looked like they belonged on a dance recital costume, not a prom dress.

Vanessa still bothers me as a host. Not only is her feedback in the workroom useless, but her pronunciation is so annoying. "Distink" instead of "destinct" and the way she says "in-oh-vative" are like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I so agree that there is the kernel of a good show in here, but they need to ditch that awful host and all the judges except Christian.  I guess they're thinking they will draw in young viewers by showcasing those younger personalities, but I think that is a mistaken premise to begin with, and it is annoying the crap out of me to the point I probably won't watch much longer.  But I did love seeing Christopher and Michael, two of my all-time favorites, and Christian just makes me love him more and more each week.  Is that enough to keep me watching?  Not sure.